Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Baron Strucker! Fenris Twins! Blitzkrieg! Brother Voodoo!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Yojimbo wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:41 am
Davies wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:03 pm The Brother is semi-famous among comic readers of my generation who remember how Fred Hembeck used to make fun of him a lot in Marvel Age, but also wrote some quite affecting stories about him, too.
Hembeck used to have Brother Voodoo show up just to "retain copyright," a playful jab at Marvel Two-in-One and Marvel Team-Up, I'm sure. There was also a non-Hembeck strip that did the same sort of thing for Star Lord, the only time I ever saw Star Lord before Abnett and Lanning started using him.

The odd thing about Brother Voodoo, which Strange neatly sidestepped, is that Voodoo is a world religion with actual rituals and beliefs and practitioners. I guess they're not as vocal as adherents to other religions, or maybe Brother Voodoo is still too obscure, even as Sorcerer Supreme. I think if Marvel tried to have some kind of Super Jesuit or something who used John Dee's old spellbook there would be more hue and cry.

I guess this kind of dovetails into that discussion about Hindu gods in comics from a few pages back.
heh- I didn't know any of that Hembeck stuff. That's pretty funny. Reading old Marvel Age books is kind of funny, because it's like a hype magazine they CHARGE you for, but there's the occasional funny bit of insight, or a look into the weird and whacky "writers swordfighting with rulers" era that writers always talk wistfully about. Some '70s & '80s creators did a local con here a year ago, and mourned the loss of that era, as Marvel goes more corporate, has lost the old bullpen, and is way more businesslike.

And yeah, the Voodoo thing is a bit weird. They treat it like "Comic Book Magic" in the books, but it's like... a real thing. Based off of West African religions (it's where "The Vodu" come from) that got modified in the new world and all that.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I mean, technically there are real world people who practice different types of mystic traditions and completely believe them. And at the same time, science in comics frequently has little resemblance to real world science.

I think it's basically a lot easier if everyone just goes "This is a comic book setting, this is just how we choose to interpret this in this universe", and as long as they don't make voodoo practitioners universally evil or anything, no one should be offended. Anymore than people should get offended at the kind of things Hellblazer does to Christianity, or have a physics professor get mad at the Flash for being able to vibrate his molecules through solid matter.

And for the people who got upset about Thor beating up Shiva, Thor also defeated the Crusader, a guy who apparently got his holy armor, shield and sword from an angel and whose abilities were powered by his faith.

There's really nothing stopping the following exchange:

Person: "You didn't portray X accurately in your comic!"
Creator: "Nope. Sure didn't. What's your point?"
Person: "You didn't get it right!"
Creator: "I wasn't trying to get it right. I was re-imagining X for how it could work in a superhero setting. It's a fictional alternate history with wildly different physical and metaphysical laws."
Person: "This offends me!"
Creator: "I'm sorry to hear that. But I can also live with that."
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Well yeah, modern-day religions have nothing in common with Comic Book Magic, which is all actual effects and blasts and stuff. Even the most devout Catholic can't shoot Energy Beams from his eyes or whatever :). I still remember my Wiccan roommate "casting" in our kitchen, and getting annoyed when his "Luck Spell" had no effect on his trip to Vancouver to meet some girl he liked.

Him: "It didn't work! Now I have to see WHAT ASPECT of my life this affected!"
Me: "REALLY?"
Him: "Shut up!" (he laughs, realizing I'm about to use this as an example as to why I think his religion is a sham, because he could justify ANY of his Magic Spells this way)
Jabroniville

Black Crow

Post by Jabroniville »

BLACK CROW (Jesse Black Crow)
Created By:
J.M. DeMatteis & Paul Neary
First Appearance: Captain America #292 (April 1984)
Role: Liberal Guilt Inspirer, Ethnic Stereotype
PL 10 (182)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+11)
Expertise (Magic) 8 (+10)
Expertise (Native American Stereotype) 9 (+11)
Intimidation 5 (+6)
Perception 7 (+10)
Stealth 3 (+8)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment 2 (Spear, Bow & Arrow, Knife), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Ranged Attack 4, Ritualist

Powers:
"Shapeshifting" Shapeshift 4 (32) -- [37]
  • AE: "Paralyzing Mist" Affliction 6 (Fort; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Compelled/Paralyzed & Transformed Mind) (Extras: Ranged, Extra Condition) (18)
  • AE: "Summon Fog" Environment 2 (Impaired Vision) (2)
  • AE: "Mystical Transportation" Movement 1 (Dimensional Travel- Anasazi Mythical Land) (2)
  • AE: Communication 2 (Mental) (8)
  • AE: "Mental Illusion" Illusion (All Senses) 8 (Flaws: Will Save Allowed) (32)
Senses 2 (Mystic Awareness, Native American Awareness) [2]
"Detect The Past of Natives" Senses 4 (Postcognition) (Flaws: Limited to Native Americans Present) [2]
Morph 4 (Any Form) [20]

Equipment:
"Bow & Arrow" Blast 4 (8) -- (10)
AE: "Spear" Strength-Damage +0 (Feats: Reach) (1)
AE: "Knife" Strength-Damage +0 (Feats: Improved Critical) (1)

Offense:
Unarmed/Weapons +12 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Bow & Arrow +8 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +7, Fortitude +8, Will +7

Complications:
Normal Identity (Jesse Black Crow)- Jesse is normally paralyzed from the waist down, and has to empower himself via the "Earth Mother" spirit.

Total: Abilities: 82 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 61 / Defenses: 12 (182)

-Black Crow appeared in a Captain America issue of my friend's that I remember reading years back- he, like American Eagle, is a Navajo, but was paralyzed while doing construction work in New York City, and got powers via some Native Spirit who appeared to him while he lay comatose, and turned him into a defender of their people. Inspired by rage over the Native American plight, he sought out Captain America for a trial by combat- since Cap represented the American Spirit, he must die. Black Crow actually had Cap on the ropes the entire time, using flight to his advantage, and Cap had to use The Power Of Liberal Guilt to save himself- apologizing to Black Crow on behalf of all America.

-Black Crow became a Cap Ally as a result of this (once curing Cap of a lethal poison inflicted by the Red Skull), being used off-and-on by Mark Gruenwald (who also brought him to Quasar at least once), but like most Ethnic Heroes, he's a forgotten eyeblink to comic history. He became a kind of Journeyman Hero, appearing in team-ups with Daredevil, Spider-Man, Hawkeye, Dr. Strange & Red Wolf, usually in an advisory/back-up role (such as freeing the God who empowered Red Wolf from some other Navajo Gods). He once broke up a fight between Spider-Man and The Puma, sending them on a Spirit Journey to resolve their differences, then removing Puma's knowledge of Spider-Man's secret identity. Later, Jesse was one of thousands of super-heroes to individually defeat either Nightmare and/or D'Spayre, using the guidance of the "Black Crow" part of him to fend off the latter.

-Black Crow disappeared after the mid-90s, not showing up again until Civil War, being arrested by S.H.I.E.L.D., but alas, his time in the sun never came. I mean, Pissed-Off Native American and Mystic Native American are both pretty big cliches, and he occupied the same general role American Eagle did, while also having the problematic power-set involving "anything the writers decide".

-He's got kind of a grab-bag of powers, and despite being a supporting character extraordinaire, was one of those guys who was able to bring Cap to the brink of death. Even with New Character Stink, that's a pretty big feat. Since he's already super-strong, he'd break the Spear & Knife if using them normally, but since I figure they don't really add much of a strength-bonus to somebody who's already immensely strong (to use them, they'd need to be Devices instead of Equipment), it's legal since they only change the type of damage being done (Piercing with Reach, Slashing). Iffy given the actual rules (high strength wrecks melee weapons of low Toughness), but whatever- that's how they work in the comics.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I think of any ethnicity that gets translated into a superhero, Native Americans have it the absolute worst. It's apparently impossible to have a Native American who doesn't have feathers in his hair, wears some kind of animal pelts, and have some kind of involvement with nature spirits.

Even mutants like Thunderbird I, Warpath, Forge and Moonstar tended to have feather headbands and get involved with Native American spirits or have shamanistic powers. You could never just have a Native American who was "a speedster" or "a flying brick", they all had to be expert trackers, exceptional senses and be good with knives and bows.

I mean, Asian characters tend to get stereotyped as either martial artists or tech-experts, but at least they have TWO.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Interestingly enough I did a Shazam homage via a NAtive American character named Mustang who had the powers of various native Amerincan gods and spirits.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Ken

Post by Ken »

catsi563 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:26 am Interestingly enough I did a Shazam homage via a NAtive American character named Mustang who had the powers of various native Amerincan gods and spirits.
Weird. "Mustang" sounds more like the name of the hero, not the old mentor figure. If Mustang was a Shazam homage, what did you call the Captain Marvel homage who logically must have followed?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:44 am And yeah, the Voodoo thing is a bit weird. They treat it like "Comic Book Magic" in the books, but it's like... a real thing. Based off of West African religions (it's where "The Vodu" come from) that got modified in the new world and all that.
All that I will say in response to that is that treating it as comic book magic is a step up from treating it as "a silly superstition", as Mark Gruenwald once termed it in the 80s, or Satanism, as it was frequently portrayed in occult thrillers of a few decades before that.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Euroforce & Gemini

Post by Jabroniville »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH ALL THE NINETIES IT BURNS IT BURNS IT BURRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

EUROFORCE:
-Many, many years ago, I was asking around for sone foreign heroes to add to my Marvel builds. Woodclaw, who was then a major commenter on the site (before leaving for several years- I think I remember him saying he was frustrated with GR's lack of book releases) was good enough to hand me the names and power-sets of TWO groups of characters, all from the same Limited Series in the mid-90s. And WOW, were these guys "Nineties". They exemplify SO MANY of the tropes iconic to that era- guys with guns, everyone's Blasting away or has Claws, the token Telepath/Telekinetic Power-Set so emblematic of female characters in this era, etc.

-The sad thing is, despite me ASKING to do them, I actually have this specific recollection of these being this HUGE slog. Probably because I'd never seen the characters and was going entirely off of Woodclaw's notes- it was basically the kind of "Blind Build" that I learned that I hated doing- it might have actually burned me on the idea entirely. Like... what kind of PL do I give to a character I've never seen, who fights OTHER people I've never seen? And then there's the fact that they were all Military Guys- the WORST kind of character to build in 2nd Edition, as it requires a mountain of skills in their more "open" Skill tree). Believe it or not, but looking over the big list o' 2e Skills is actually what led to me getting tired of building characters back in the day, leading to a big hiatus for several months. Nowadays I even post crap on my VACATIONS.

-But seriously, this was so bad that I remembered the pain of doing it more than SEVEN YEARS LATER. And I felt badly over how much I considered it a chore, because Woodclaw was good enough to give me the information in the first place, because I ASKED for it! It's just one of those funny things :).

-Euroforce was created by Marvel Italia, the Italian branch of Marvel comics (which explains why the Italian Woodclaw knew about it). It was formed from the merger of two teams- Task Force and Eurolab. Both were divisions of "Euromind", the European division of S.H.I.E.L.D. (when it's not an aspect of the American government, I mean). Eurolab was a scientific research team, while Task Force was all about military-style combat.

Eurolab: Key, Danger, Deep Sight, Nuage and Picaro.
Task Force: Dragonfly, Argento, Blue Condor, Iceboy and Tiger.

-An investigation into a crashed U.F.O. saw three Japanese cyborgs attack the team (I HATE it when that happens!), killing Dragonfly & Blue Condor before they could do anything in the book. The surviving three members joined Eurolab and fled to their Spanish base, and they discover a conspiracy within S.H.A.P.E. (which I guess is the European branch of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s name. How they relate to Euromind is beyond me), then fake their deaths so they can act without observation.

-The book basically vanished without a word after this five-issue Mini-Series, and a new Euroforce showed up in a one-off Avengers World story, led by the Black Knight. The story was pretty good (a nice diversion from Hickman's overly-long Infinity nonsense), but the characters were such one-offs that statting them is impossible.

-First up is a group called "Gemini", who are related to the team via their link to Europe- they're all Italians, and I can't find much information about them online. They were newborns who were resurrected by the demon "Nosferath" and imbued with some of his power. They fought against Nosferath and his agent, Caine, killing the latter- they've never been seen since. They were apparently rejected by Nick Fury for being too "ruthless".
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woodclaw

Re: Euroforce & Gemini

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:07 pm -Many, many years ago, I was asking around for sone foreign heroes to add to my Marvel builds. Woodclaw, who was then a major commenter on the site (before leaving for several years- I think I remember him saying he was frustrated with GR's lack of book releases) was good enough to hand me the names and power-sets of TWO groups of characters, all from the same Limited Series in the mid-90s. And WOW, were these guys "Nineties". They exemplify SO MANY of the tropes iconic to that era- guys with guns, everyone's Blasting away or has Claws, the token Telepath/Telekinetic Power-Set so emblematic of female characters in this era, etc.
As I noted a few posts ago, I didn't disappear because I was frustrated by the lack of releases. Knowing how little people actually work at GR washed any possible consideration away a long time ago. It just happened that when the ATT was merged with the Ronin Army forum I was moving away from M&M and I just stopped posting.
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:07 pm-Euroforce was created by Marvel Italia, the Italian branch of Marvel comics (which explains why the Italian Woodclaw knew about it). It was formed from the merger of two teams- Task Force and Eurolab. Both were divisions of "Euromind", the European division of S.H.I.E.L.D. (when it's not an aspect of the American government, I mean). Eurolab was a scientific research team, while Task Force was all about military-style combat.

Eurolab: Key, Danger, Deep Sight, Nuage and Picaro.
Task Force: Dragonfly, Argento, Blue Condor, Iceboy and Tiger.

-An investigation into a crashed U.F.O. saw three Japanese cyborgs attack the team (I HATE it when that happens!), killing Dragonfly & Blue Condor before they could do anything in the book. The surviving three members joined Eurolab and fled to their Spanish base, and they discover a conspiracy within S.H.A.P.E. (which I guess is the European branch of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s name. How they relate to Euromind is beyond me), then fake their deaths so they can act without observation.

-The book basically vanished without a word after this five-issue Mini-Series, and a new Euroforce showed up in a one-off Avengers World story, led by the Black Knight. The story was pretty good (a nice diversion from Hickman's overly-long Infinity nonsense), but the characters were such one-offs that statting them is impossible.

-First up is a group called "Gemini", who are related to the team via their link to Europe- they're all Italians, and I can't find much information about them online. They were newborns who were resurrected by the demon "Nosferath" and imbued with some of his power. They fought against Nosferath and his agent, Caine, killing the latter- they've never been seen since. They were apparently rejected by Nick Fury for being too "ruthless".
After many years and with a bit of help from my old comic collection I can shed a bit more light on what happened on the editiorial side. In 1996 the Marvel Comics acquired Panini (a major Italian printer specialized in stickers and trading cards) and merged it with Marvel Italia and Marvel UK. At the time this move seemed to herald the possibility of creating a Marvel Europe, a single publisher handling the entire Marvel production for the entire continent. The UK division was already struggling and had killed off many series in the first half of the '90s, whereas the Italian division was going pretty well. As a result the Italian team suggested the publication of two test mini-series that would lay the foundations of a new "theater" for superheroes.
The first one was called Wild Angels and it was more or less an homage to Marvel UK, featuring a time-travelling crossover bewteen two of their major heroines Wild Thing and Dark Angel. Unfortunately the format (notebook sized, black and white, very common in Italy) looked anything but a Marvel product. The second was Europa, featuring the two above mentioned teams of Gemini and Euroforce. The initial project was of a 7 issue mini (including #0), but it was cut short to 5 after the initial release tanked.
The biggest problem both products run into was distribution: Wild Angels looked nothing like a Marvel comic and many comic-shops filed it accordigly; Europa was so poorly distributed that I was never able to find any issue of it (even going into other cities) until over a decade later at a garage sale. Also some of the writers were either not professional writers or not used to the format. The writer of Gemini was one of the Marvel Italia editors back in the day and the one working on Euroforce was a used to working of French-style hardcover volumes.

All in all I have to admit I was hugely inversted in the experiment back then, but the result never clicked. If I look at the characters now they really look like relics of their era. Gemini was the bigger offender, being a terrible rip-off of evertyhing image (Wildcats and Cyberforce in particular). Euroforce worked a bit better, although there was one huge problem: handling a team of 10, later 7 in less than 120 pages. There was simply no room to define anyone beyond the most basic cliché and a lot of details were lost in the process. Looking at some of my old notes and comparing them with the actual comic I discovered that there were a ton of things I remembered wrong.

BTW Jab, if you wish I can take those issues out of the box and provide some new informations to add to the builds (nothing substantial, just background).
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:16 am Well yeah, modern-day religions have nothing in common with Comic Book Magic, which is all actual effects and blasts and stuff. Even the most devout Catholic can't shoot Energy Beams from his eyes or whatever :).
I know, right?! I keep trying, but nothing. However, I have, on occasion, cast a hex bolt or two! Sshh! Don't you tell nobody! :shock:
Ken

Re: Jab's Builds! (Fenris Twins! Blitzkrieg! Brother Voodoo! Black Crow!)

Post by Ken »

Years ago, my friend Doug was going to run a game of Chill with the idea we were going to be playing ourselves.

We never got past building characters. The builds were cartoons. Basically, anything we were good at in real life, tended to become amazing, and anything we weren't tended to become terrible. But at least most of us were honest enough to recognise that we had strengths AND weaknesses, and tried to build accordingly. One of our number went to Doug and insisted he needed more build points because he was so much more... everything. He wasn't. For instance, we conclusively proved that his strength and mine were essentially equal. He could out arm wrestle me right-handed, but I could out arm wrestle him left handed. We were both in the minority of our group that were right handed, so I'd happily concede he'd have a combat advantage, but lifting anything that requires two hands?

But I think the clincher that killed the project when the professed druid in the group gave his Chill counterpart spell-casting ability. Upon testing, his protective spell couldn't defend against a thrown balled-up pair of socks.

==========

Some years prior to that, when the discussion of "what would we do if campus were besieged by vampires" one friend said she would "grab a Crucifix, hand it to Ken, and get behind him." Apparently, she recognised her own faith wasn't that strong, but she had faith that my faith was that strong. But still no eyebeams.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Fenris Twins! Blitzkrieg! Brother Voodoo! Black Crow!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Woodclaw wrote:As I noted a few posts ago, I didn't disappear because I was frustrated by the lack of releases. Knowing how little people actually work at GR washed any possible consideration away a long time ago. It just happened that when the ATT was merged with the Ronin Army forum I was moving away from M&M and I just stopped posting.
I recall a PM conversation with me asking "Are you still around?" to who I THOUGHT was you, but might have been Murkglow- I was given a response that was more or less "I'm disgusted by the lack of 3e materials, and how little the company has even mentioned about it. At least when D&D 4e bombed, the company said 'We're Sorry' and tried to make amends." If that wasn't you, it was probably him- it was ATT-era, so the PM is lost to time (you can't check PMs now that the forum is locked).
After many years and with a bit of help from my old comic collection I can shed a bit more light on what happened on the editiorial side. In 1996 the Marvel Comics acquired Panini (a major Italian printer specialized in stickers and trading cards) and merged it with Marvel Italia and Marvel UK. At the time this move seemed to herald the possibility of creating a Marvel Europe, a single publisher handling the entire Marvel production for the entire continent. The UK division was already struggling and had killed off many series in the first half of the '90s, whereas the Italian division was going pretty well. As a result the Italian team suggested the publication of two test mini-series that would lay the foundations of a new "theater" for superheroes.
A similar "Buy a card company" move actually helped bankrupt Marvel in the 1990s. That fad had died in the US, and Marvel was left unprepared.
All in all I have to admit I was hugely inversted in the experiment back then, but the result never clicked. If I look at the characters now they really look like relics of their era. Gemini was the bigger offender, being a terrible rip-off of evertyhing image (Wildcats and Cyberforce in particular). Euroforce worked a bit better, although there was one huge problem: handling a team of 10, later 7 in less than 120 pages. There was simply no room to define anyone beyond the most basic cliché and a lot of details were lost in the process. Looking at some of my old notes and comparing them with the actual comic I discovered that there were a ton of things I remembered wrong.

BTW Jab, if you wish I can take those issues out of the box and provide some new informations to add to the builds (nothing substantial, just background).
Thanks for the backstory! And yeah, I'd love to have more info about the guys- I'm about to just spam a bunch of their info out, but I'd be happy to add stuff if there's anything worth noting.
Jabroniville

Front

Post by Jabroniville »

FRONT (Gabriel Caine)
Created By:
Xavier Marturet & Paco Diaz
First Appearance: Europa #0 (April 1996)
Role: Military Style Hero
Group Affiliations: Gemini, Euroforce
PL 9 (123)
STRENGTH
3/7 STAMINA 3/7 AGILITY 2/6
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 3 (+6)
Technology 3 (+5)
Expertise (Soldier) 5 (+7)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+7)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+4, +8 Manipulation)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment (Costume +2), Improved Aim, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Leadership, Ranged Attack 4, Teamwork

Powers:
"Physiology Manipulation"
Enhanced Stamina 4 (Feats: Dynamic) (9) -- [21]
  • Dynamic AE: Enhanced Strength 4 (Feats: Dynamic) (9)
  • Dynamic AE: Enhanced Agility 4 (Feats: Dynamic) (9)
  • Dynamic AE: Enhanced Skills 4: Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+10) (Feats: Dynamic) (3)
  • Dynamic AE: Regeneration 6 (Feats: Dynamic) (7)
  • Dynamic AE: Speed 3 (16 mph) (Feats: Dynamic) (4)
  • Dynamic AE: Senses 3 (Extended Sight, Hearing & Scent) (Feats: Dynamic) (4)
"R.E.V.O." (Features: Sentient) (Flaws: Easily Removable) [18]
Blast 8 (Feats: Variable Descriptor 2) (18)
"Datalink" Communication (Technology) 2 (8)
Enhanced Skills 4: Technology 4 (+10) (Flaws: Limited to Computers) (1)-- (27 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Boosted Stats +8-12 (+3-7 Damage, DC 18-22)
R.E.V.O. Blast +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (+12 Boost, DC 18-22), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+5 Costume, +9 Boost), Fortitude +4 (+8 Boost), Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (Gemini Team Leader)

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 39 / Defenses: 9 (124)

-Front here is Gemini's leader, a BLATANT rip-off of WildC.A.T.S.' Spartan in appearance (this was back when most of comics was trying to copy Image's early flash-in-the-pan success), whose power was the ability to alter his body's physiology to match certain threats. Naturally, as the "Cyclops" of the team, he proves to be rivals with the team "Wolverine", Grip.

-Front COULD use Variable Power, but that's a bit too complicated, since he has semi-limited options despite getting some Powers, Skills and boosts. In the end, I went for a simple Dynamic Array of physical-based powers that he could switch to at will. So he can spend about eleven points' worth of stuff any way he likes from this set, but it means he can never be as tough as he is strong, leaving him a fairly low-end PL 9 (he can't get both Fighting AND Strength to their max, so his peak is in the middle). R.E.V.O.'s sentience is hard to display in a build (I gave it Computers skills to make up for some of it), so I just went for a Blasty gun thing with Variable Descriptor, then added a Feature for the ability to think for itself.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Balance

Post by Jabroniville »

BALANCE (Deborah Crovi)
Created By:
Xavier Marturet & Paco Diaz
First Appearance: Europa #0 (April 1996)
Role: Military Style Hero
Group Affiliations: Gemini
PL 8 (112)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Soldier) 4 (+6)
Insight 4 (+6)
Stealth 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Gun +5), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Blasts), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Mental Blast" Blast 8 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Will Damage, Perception-Ranged) (33) -- [41]
  • Dynamic AE: Communication (Mental) 3 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area) (16)
  • Dynamic AE: Force Field 5 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Affects Others 8) (14)
  • Dynamic AE: "Machine Control" Mind Control 6 (Flaws: Limited to Machines) (18)
  • Dynamic AE: "Telekinesis" Move Object 6 (Feats: Dynamic) (13)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Mental Blast -- (+8 Perception-Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +3 (+8 Force Field), Fortitude +4, Will +3

Complications:
Responsibility (Gemini)

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 41 / Defenses: 5 (112)

-Balance is basically the team's Jean Grey, as most Image-era teams had one hot telepath (who also usually had Telekinesis). She has a gun for some reason, and is against type in that she's also a crazy vigilante who loves violence, which is not usually the purview of telepaths. She's got standard Jean Grey-type stuff- a decent Mental Blast, a Force Field, Telepathy and low-level Telekinesis. Like the rest of Gemini (except for Front), she's a PL 8. She hits most of the basics for Jean types, but lacks the Advantages and well-roundedness necessary for a better character.