Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
catsi563

Re: Jab's Builds! (Belle! The Servants! The Beast! Gaston!)

Post by catsi563 »

Robin Williams' performance as The Genie also set off a firestorm of celebrity Voice Actors who'd try to use Disney films to aid their careers.

-However, the latter effectively changed animated films FOREVER- before that, you were likely to get unknowns as major characters (the only celebrities in Beauty and the Beast play household appliances), and the occasional minor celebrity at-best- guys like Phil Harris (Baloo/Little John). Jiminy Cricket and Robin Hood were played be people audiences might recognize, but not, like, ROBIN WILLIAMS-level guys. But The Genie changed all that- from then on, if you ran an Animated Feature, you were putting A-Listers in the big roles. So people with the Broadway training to pull off emotional reactions using their voice, like Robby Benson, Paige O'Hara & Jodi Benson... were soon falling by the wayside, as Pocahontas featured Mel Gibson, Mulan had Eddie Murphy, etc., all being hired mainly to play themselves and their own recognizable voices. You can see the effects of this all the way to modern times, where almost every non-Disney picture is made up 100% of big-name stars. Disney themselves fell into this BADLY after a point, but have since shrunk back a bit- Tangled and Frozen both featured actual celebs as the Main Characters, but most of the love interests, side characters, sidekicks and villains were played by minor TV and Broadway actors, some of whom (Josh Gad, Idina Menzel) only became big AFTER the movies hit.
See the thing for me on this was that the executives missed the point of the affair. What made Robins performance as the Genie so AMAZING was that it was all but 100% Improv which was Robins strength. this is the same guy who basically kills Matt Damon and most of the crew on Goodwill Hunting with an improvised Fart joke.

And here he goes on the Genie bringing an animated character to life by literally taking the script and throwing it out the window and just improvising everything.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Rumor has it that eventually the writers just had lines to the effect of "Robin Williams says something funny here" and just let the master go to work.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:02 am Rumor has it that eventually the writers just had lines to the effect of "Robin Williams says something funny here" and just let the master go to work.
That reminds me of something I heard about Mork & Mindy- there were rumors that Robin was so good at improv that the writers didn't even bother writing him scripts. And Robin, while not explicitly saying so, did nothing to dissuade that notion. So as an "AHEM" moment, the writers decided to hand him a script with absolutely nothing written for any of his lines. He got the picture immediately :).
kreuzritter

Post by kreuzritter »

Wind's in the East, mist's comin' in
Like something is brewin' about to begin
Can't put me finger on what lies in store
But I feel what's to happen, all happened before.
Jabroniville

Aladdin (Character)

Post by Jabroniville »

ALADDIN
Played by:
Scott Weinger
Role: Riff-Raff/Street Rat, Thief With A Heart Of Gold, Wannabe Prince
PL 7 (123)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 9 (+14)
Athletics 12 (+14)
Deception 2 (+6, +8 Attractive)
Expertise (Street Rat) 8 (+10)
Expertise (Singing) 7 (+11)
Insight 2 (+5)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 2 (+6, +8 Attractive)
Sleight of Hand 5 (+9)
Stealth 3 (+8)

Advantages:
"Rather Tasty" Attractive, Diehard, Evasion 2, Grab Finesse, Great Endurance, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Move-By Action, Luck 2, Ranged Attack 2, Taunt, Uncanny Dodge

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +8

Complications:
Relationship (Jasmine)- Aladdin falls for the Princess pretty quickly upon meeting her, and a real emotional attraction soon grows. He strongly wishes to be with her, and tries to become a Prince to be her suitor.
Responsibility (Liar & Glory-Hound)- Aladdin is prone to lying quite heavily, having relied on his wits for years. He can't seem to avoid lying, even to Jasmine, in order to back up prior lies and make people think he's great.
Responsibiltiy (Orphan, Street Rat)- His parents having died or disappeared (mother in the former, father in the latter), Aladdin is alone and had nobody to look up to. His status as a Street Rat means that he must steal to survive, and he believes he'll never amount to anything else. He wants to be taken seriously and respected, but can it ever be so?
Responsibility (Morality)- Despite being a thief, Aladdin is prone to acts of kindness towards others- he freely gives up the bread for which he risked his life to a pair of starving children.
Relationship (Abu)- Al's oldest (and for years, only) friend, Abu is snarky and rather disrespectful, but loyal.
Relationship (Genie)- The Genie grows on Al quite quickly as a father-figure of sorts, and Al soon promises to set him free.
Enemy (Jafar)- Jafar wants power, and Al stands in his way.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 54--27 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 13 (123)

-Yes, STEVE, D.J.'s boyfriend from Full House (a show I am all too familiar with, having grown up with twin sisters the same age as the Olsen Twins, who were therefore obsessed with the show), plays one of the most beloved of all of Disney's heroes. Life is funny sometimes. Al is a bit unique, having grown up a thieving Street Rat ("If only they'd look CLOSER..."), but pulls the classic Quickie Disney Relationship and falls for Princess Jasmine, then gets wrapped up in Jafar's scheme to rule Agrabah. Pretty soon, Al has a father-figure, a girlfriend and a mission- Rescue The Princess. Al's pretty funny and a bit snarky, but also has a heart of gold- the producers also buffed him up, going for more Tom Cruise than Michael J. Fox (the initial body model- we'd see one of those later on in the '90s). In some clips in the caverns, you can see his original body type more clearly.

-Aladdin's in much better shape than most Disney Heroes, being able to avoid armed men through Agrabah easily, using tricks that would impress the likes of Daredevil. He's sneaky and a good pickpocket, and a remarkably-good fighter when it comes to avoiding damage- he actually maintains the advantage over Giant Cobra Jafar for a good while, stabbing him several times!

About the Performer: Scott Weinger is arguably most famous for playing the boring recurring boyfriend Steve on Full House for years, but over the years, many people have laughed about the connection between Full House and Aladdin in this manner. There's a funny bit on the DVD where he talks about auditioning for the role of Aladdin, and being asked if he could sing. Repeating something I've heard many other times elsewhere ("If you ask an actor if they can do something, they'll ALWAYS say yes!"- the producers of HBO's OZ noticed the same thing when they asked their actors who could box- every one of them said they could... and only Chuck Zito actually knew how for real)- he then sang parts of a song... and got the most amused reaction from the producers, who just kind of chuckled. Thankfully, he still got the role (the singing voice ended up being a different guy). His career is pretty minor aside from these two major roles, but he's primarily known as a producer these days, having written and produced The Muppets, Black-ish, 90210, and other shows.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Aladdin is really enjoyable. the movie, the series, but hell the video game for Sega was something that blew my mind

It was just so FUN. And it's all the more impressive when you find out that they went a totally different direction than the SNES version, basically with I think Disney's programmers doing their own game in an absurdly short amount of time.

Both ports of the game are good, but I think the Sega one takes the win home pretty easily.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

One last thing about Gaston- the magnificent Me from the Broadway show: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VyYsW2_Ar2Y

Though Susan Egan is so iconic to me as ANOTHER Disney character that it’s weird for me to hear her as another.

Gaston:
You've been dreaming, just one dream
Nearly all your life
Hoping, scheming, just one theme:
Will you be a wife?
Will you be some he-man's property?
Good news! That he-man's me!
This equation, girl plus man
Doesn't help just you
On occasion, women can
Have their uses too
Mainly to extend the fam'ly tree
Pumpkin, extend with me!
Gaston:
We'll be raising sons galore
Belle:
Inconceivable!
Gaston:
Each built six foot four!
Belle:
Unbelievable!
Gaston:
Each stuffed with ev'ry Gaston gene!
Belle:
I'm not hearing this!
Gaston:
You'll be keeping house with pride!
Belle:
Just incredible!
Gaston:
Oh so gratified
Belle:
So unweddable!
Gaston:
That you are a part of this idyllic scene.
Gaston:
Picture this: A rustic hunting lodge,
my latest kill roasting over the fire,
my little wife massaging my feet, while
the little ones play on the floor with the dogs.
We'll have six or seven!
Belle:
Dogs?
Gaston:
No, Belle! Strapping boys...like me!
Belle:
Imagine that!
Gaston:
I can see that we will share
All that love implies
We shall be a perfect pair
Rather like my thighs
You are face to face with destiny!
All roads lead to...
The best things in life are...
All's well that ends with me!
Escape me? There's no way
Certain as "Do, Re,"
Belle, when you marry...
Gaston:
So Belle, what would it be?
Is it "yes", or is it "oh, yes"?
Belle:
I...I just don't deserve you!
Gaston:
Who does?
ME!
CaptainKaulu

Post by CaptainKaulu »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:01 pm One last thing about Gaston- the magnificent Me from the Broadway show: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VyYsW2_Ar2Y
Pretty fantastic, but if we're covering Broadway versions of Disney movies (and particularly hammy villainous songs), then it's a crime to skip over I Want the Good Times Back from The Little Mermaid.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

CaptainKaulu wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:13 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:01 pm One last thing about Gaston- the magnificent Me from the Broadway show: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VyYsW2_Ar2Y
Pretty fantastic, but if we're covering Broadway versions of Disney movies (and particularly hammy villainous songs), then it's a crime to skip over I Want the Good Times Back from The Little Mermaid.
I’ll have to seek that out when I get home :).
Jabroniville

Abu

Post by Jabroniville »

ABU
Played by:
Frank Welker
Role: Heroic Sidekick, Sneaky Bastard, Snarky Sidekick
PL 4 (68)
STRENGTH
-2 STAMINA -1 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -3 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+11)
Athletics 7 (+5)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+6)
Expertise (Street Rat) 7 (+8)
Insight 1 (+2)
Perception 4 (+5)
Ranged Attack (Poop) 3 (+9)
Stealth 0 (+4, +12 Size)
Sleight of Hand 10 (+10)

Advantages:
Equipment (Lockpicks), Evasion, Fast Grab, Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision) [3]
"Simian Anatomy" Enhanced Athletics 8 (+9) (Flaws: Limited to Climbing) [2]
"Tail" Extra Limbs 1 [1]
Speed 2 (2 mph) [2]
Leaping 1 [1]

"Small Size" Shrinking 8 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [17]
(-2 Strength & Speed, +4 Defenses, +8 Stealth, -4 Intimidation)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (-2 Damage, DC 13)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness -1, Fortitude +2, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Monkeys cannot speak to humans. Abu, however, can sort of communicate in squeaks and squawks, allowing Aladdin and a few others to understand him.
Motivation (Greed)- Whereas Aladdin is more devoted to survival, and is willing to give his winnings to those less fortunate, Abu is more authentically greedy. When SPECIFICALLY told not to touch "anything but the Lamp" in the Cave of Wonders, Abu is easily tempted by a gigantic ruby. He's basically like a rude, sarcastic Kender from "Dungeons & Dragons".
Relationship (Aladdin)- Abu's only friend, as he tends to get annoyed by Al's other pals (especially the long-haired one with the funny bumps on her chest).

Total: Abilities: 4 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 26 / Defenses: 7 (68)

-Abu is a pretty classic Disney Sidekick, though is a bit nastier than others, which is a good idea- another Flounder or Meeko (who is more of a mischievous DICK than anything) would have been much more forgettable. Instead, Abu is sort of the "Cynic Surrogate" character, snarking whenever someone does something too mushy, or have something funny happen to him when he acts a bit too uppity. He laughs off the idea of giving two starving children some hard-won bread (in a great bit of directly, he SPITEFULLY EATS IT, using great character animation). He also acts like a jewel-hungry bastard, nearly getting Aladdin killed in the first third of the picture.
Jabroniville

Carpet

Post by Jabroniville »

CARPET
Played by:
None
Role: Heroic Sidekick, Flying Mount (kinda)
PL 3 (68)
STRENGTH
-1 STAMINA -- AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+4)
Insight 4 (+4)
Perception 3 (+3)
Stealth 0 (+4, +8 Size)

Advantages:
Evasion 2, Fast Grab, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip

Powers:
"Can Hold A Few People" Power-Lifting 3 (400 lbs.) [3]
Flight 7 (250 mph) [14]
"Living Carpet" Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
"Made of Fabric" Protection 1 [1]

"Small Size" Shrinking 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
(-1 Strength & Speed, +2 Defenses, +4 Stealth, -2 Intimidation)

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +1, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Carpet)- Carpet cannot speak to humans, but can understand them. His tassles are also slightly-less dextrous than human hands. He can also not untie his own knots.

Total: Abilities: -4 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 57 / Defenses: 4 (68)

-Carpet is an odd sidekick, since I barely remember his personality, but is quite utilitarian, saving Aladdin a couple times (notably in the Cave of Wonders), and being the crux of the most romantic Disney scene basically ever in A Whole New World. He's an adept flier, stronger than he appears to be, and is a very useful partner, but is notably quite weak (some palace guards easily overpower him and tie him to a tree using... himself).
Jabroniville

Jasmine

Post by Jabroniville »

JASMINE
Played by:
Linda Larkin (Speaking Voice), Lea Salonga (Singing Voice)
Role: Disney Princess, Miss Fanservice, Princess Who Wants More
PL 3 (48)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 5 (+6)
Expertise (Royalty) 1 (+3)
Expertise (Singing) 8 (+12)
Insight 2 (+3)
Perception 2 (+3)

Advantages:
Attractive 2

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +1, Fortitude +2, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (Aladdin)- Jasmine quickly learns to like this young orphan boy, and this "Prince Ali" fellow has the same overall energy and love for life.
Responsibility (Princess)- The law says that Jasmine must be married by her next birthday, and she's been kept utterly-protected by her father, who forbids her to leave the palace. This has also left her naiive about the real world.
Motivation ("MORE!")- Jasmine wants to explore the world outside the palace, and avoid getting tied down to some stuffy suitor. She's more rebellious than most.
Enemy (Jafar)- Jafar wants power, and sees Jasmine as a way to get it.

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 6 (48)

-Princess Jasmine is what led to the creation of Aladdin, ironically- the skinny young kid original envisioned for the film was dropped as soon as the Character Designers presented THIS little dish as the movie's heroine. Soon as they saw her, the guys were all "well that little kid isn't gonna match up to THIS" and had to re-do Aladdin's design. Now, you may ask "why didn't they just change Jasmine's design, since they'd already done most of the work on Aladdin and even completed some footage? Wouldn't it be cheaper?", and the response would be "BECAUSE THEY WERE MEN" :). As a result, we get a buff, handsome Aladdin to go along with Miss Fanservice here (who even got a Go-Go Enslavement scene), and thus, men AND women were satisfied with the film!

-Al & Jasmine are actually really cute together- it's one of the better-handled Disney Quickie Relationships out there, rivalling Belle & The Beast. One of my favourite bits is when Aladdin pulls his "Do you trust me?" act for the second time, and Jasmine figures it out. Jasmine's quite the hottie of course (she was pretty well-known for being scantily-clad, though Ariel totally wipes her out in that category), but I was never quite taken with her when I was younger. I get the whole "Dark Eyed Beauty" thing more now, though. And DAAAAAAAANG they pull off the "when her hair's down" look, too- funny since it's long ANYWAYS, but without the braid thingies it looks STUNNING all flowing around and junk. Though her status as Jafar's enslaved captive is one of the more relentlessly, obviously sexy parts of the Disney Animated Canon- her attempts at seducing Jafar are as horrific to watch as they are FAP CITY, especially as she slinks up to his creepy ass and acts like his beard is sexy ("It's so... TWISTED...").

-Jasmine (dressed like a Harem Girl, despite being a Princess, a dramatic factual error from the era & place that I'm sure most people will forgive them for) is your standard "I want MORE!" Princess, though at least the fact that she's been living in the palace her whole life makes her come across a BIT less spoiled when she whines about how hard her life is. That and the fact that her dad keeps forcing her to meet a bunch of lame suitors. She's sprightly and has more of a sarcastic streak than most of the Princesses, and is a good bit more flirty judging by the film.

-Expect the Live-Action Remake to create an internet firestorm of angry nerds and nerd-targeting social justice zealots (who always pick the easiest targets), as there's no way they're gonna make her wear the Harem Girl outfit for the entire thing. Just a word of warning.

-Jasmine apparently picks up a lot of fighting skills in the series, likely adding some Improved Defense & Fighting 8 or something, making her a much better addition to the party. Otherwise, she's a pretty typical Princess, packing charisma & looks with some Singing talent, provided by Lea Salonga, the same lady who did Mulan's singing voice- you need a pretty female voice in a REALLY high pitch, you call Lea. Ironically, Linda Larkin was repeatedly told to LOWER her voice to do Jasmine right.

About the Performer: Linda Larkin is pretty much only known for playing Jasmine, which she's done a LOT. She's had a bit of Live-Action work as well (she's very cute and blonde), but nothing major. Lea Salonga has actually had the more impressive career, appearing in countless Broadway productions (her Eponine is FLAWLESS), and lending her very beautiful sing-songy voice to characters like Mulan as well. How good is she? Well, despite being in her late 40s, she can STILL command lead roles- it helps that she hasn't aged a day in twenty years.

RAJAH
Played by:
Frank Welker
Role: Protective Pet
PL 9 (102)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6)
Athletics 3 (+9)
Expertise (Survival) 9 (+10)
Intimidation 10 (+9 Size)
Perception 9 (+10)
Stealth 8 (+8)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Fearless, Follow-Up Strike, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons) 3, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Prone Fighting

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing) [5]
Speed 4 (32 mph) [4]
"Natural Weapons- Claws & Teeth" Strength-Damage +2 [2]
"Cold-Based Hunter" Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Cold) [2]

"Cat Agility" Leaping 1 [1]

"Striped Coat" Enhanced Skills 4: Stealth 4 (+12) (Flaws: Limited to Dark Forests & Jungles or Plains) [1]

"Natural Size" Growth 3 (Str & Sta +3, +3 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -3 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [7]
Strength-Damage +1 [1]
Protection 1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Claws & Teeth +8 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +7, Fortitude +9, Will +9

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Cats cannot speak to humans, nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.
Relationship (Jasmine)- Rajah dislikes men getting too close to the Princess, and will attack many of them on sight.

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 24 / Defenses: 17 (102)

-Rajah is way tougher than Aladdin, so you'd wonder why they don't take him on more missions.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab's Builds! (Belle! The Beast! Gaston! Aladdin! Jasmine!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

I'm kinda wondering about Dreamworks stuff since you did do the Sinbad movie way back when, but I don't know which ones you've seen or would even be stat-worthy. I'd imagine Shrek as like a PL 8-ish fighter (maybe 9, though since he doesn't fight high-level opponents for the most part it's hard to tell), since his physical stats would probably be similar to Beast, just without the natural weapons.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:08 am I'm kinda wondering about Dreamworks stuff since you did do the Sinbad movie way back when, but I don't know which ones you've seen or would even be stat-worthy. I'd imagine Shrek as like a PL 8-ish fighter (maybe 9, though since he doesn't fight high-level opponents for the most part it's hard to tell), since his physical stats would probably be similar to Beast, just without the natural weapons.
I dunno- I haven't watched much of their stuff, as I don't particularly enjoy the "DreamWorks Face" style of storytelling. That said, How To Train Your Dragon was way better than I was expecting. I actually figured on doing Kung Fu Panda builds at some point, but didn't enjoy it QUITE enough to make it a priority.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:51 am
KorokoMystia wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:08 am I'm kinda wondering about Dreamworks stuff since you did do the Sinbad movie way back when, but I don't know which ones you've seen or would even be stat-worthy. I'd imagine Shrek as like a PL 8-ish fighter (maybe 9, though since he doesn't fight high-level opponents for the most part it's hard to tell), since his physical stats would probably be similar to Beast, just without the natural weapons.
I dunno- I haven't watched much of their stuff, as I don't particularly enjoy the "DreamWorks Face" style of storytelling. That said, How To Train Your Dragon was way better than I was expecting. I actually figured on doing Kung Fu Panda builds at some point, but didn't enjoy it QUITE enough to make it a priority.
That's fair. I'd certainly be interested in seeing Kung Fu Panda builds, at least, though it's kinda funny since you did the Paws of Fury bulids not too long ago, and those were ALSO Martial Artist Animals.