Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Thunder

Post by Jabroniville »

THUNDER III (CeCe Beck)
Created By:
Jerry Ordway & Mike Manley
First Appearance: The Power of Shazam! Annual #1 (1996)
Home Planet: Binderaan
Origin of Powers: Met Billy Batson in the Future
Eras: Reboot Only
Relationships: None
Role: Flying Brick, Legacy Hero
PL 11 (206)
STRENGTH
-1/15 STAMINA 0/13 AGILITY 1/3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2/6 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 2 (+4)
Technology 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+6, +12 with Wisdom)

Advantages:
Equipment 10 (Legion Gear), Defensive Attack, Interpose, Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"SHAZAM!!"

"Wisdom of SOLOMON" (16 points)
Enhanced Awareness 4 [8]
Enhanced Advantages 4: Beginner's Luck, Benefit (Voice in Head), Jack-of-All-Trades, Well-Informed [4]
Enhanced Skills 8: Arcane Lore 8, +10) [4]

"Strength of HERCULES" (34 points)
Enhanced Strength 16 [32]
Enhanced Advantages 2: Fast Grab, Power Attack [2]

"Stamina of ATLAS" (58 points)
Enhanced Stamina 13 [26]
Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 13) [15]
Enhanced Advantages 2: Great Endurance, Ultimate Fortitude Save [2]
Immunity 15 (Life Support, Tiring/Energy-Draining Effects) [15]

"Courage of ACHILLES" (8 points)
Immunity 5 (Fear Effects) [5]
Enhanced Advantages 1: Ultimate Will Save [1]
Enhanced Will Save 2 [2]

"Speed of MERCURY" (34 points)
Flight 14 (32,000 mph) [28]
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) [2]
Enhanced Agility 2 [4]

Equipment:
"Legion Gear"
"Telepathic Ear Plug" Comprehend 3 (Languages) (6)

"Legion Flight Ring"
Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)
Immunity 7 (Hot, Cold, Vacuum, Pressure, Radiation, Suffocation 2) (7)
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) (2)
Communication 5 (Flaws: Fifth Rank is only towards Legionnaires) (18)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
Strength of Hercules +6 (+15 Damage, DC 30)
Initiative +1 (+3 Speed)

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +0 (+15 Stamina of Atlas, +7 Impervious), Fortitude +0 (+13 Stamina), Will +3 (+9 Wisdom)

Complications:
Involuntary Transformation (CeCe Beck)- If CeCe utters the phrase "Captain Marvel!", she will be transformed back to human form, and be decidedly less powerful. She will also be teleported back to her home time period.

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 150 / Defenses: 6 (206)

-Cece Beck was a short-lived addition to the Reboot-Era Legion of Super-Heroes, a champion of Shazam from the future of THE LEGION'S TIME (6,000 years, actually), and they got some life out of her before the next writers undid it and sent her on her merry way, as the Legion gets some negative sentiment from the rest of the galaxy. Too bad, too, as I felt an additional Flying Brick to the team was an interesting dynamic, as well as a neat look into the history of a DC Universe affected by someone OTHER THAN SUPERMAN for once! I mean, Supes is great and all, but COME ON- the entire team worships him, half the guys share his powers, and he's got ancestors and crap- there's no Billy Batson, Wonder Woman or Batman legacies that last that long? I fart on that.

-For a costume, they could've maybe done better than Iron Fist & Billy Batson's female love child, but what can you do? It was the Archie Legion.

-Cece is actually a PL 11 Marvelite, but that's due to lack of experience and stuff, not through lack of power (she still smashes things up in terms of points). She can do most of the things Captain Marvel can, but on a much smaller scale.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 30, 2022 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
MacynSnow

Re: Jab's Builds! (Karate Kid! Projectra! Legion of Substitute Heroes!)

Post by MacynSnow »

Ken wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:32 am
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:04 am All I remember from half-watching that movie was the weird realization that three iconic '80s movies (Police Academy, BTILC, Porky's) featured the same actress; one who didn't even become a name until she became Samantha Jones :).
Maybe for a youngun' like you. For those of us who were thirteen when Porky's was released, she became a name back then.
Personally i think she was better in BTILC than Police Academy,but i think Porky's was her first roll so that can e forgiven .Her part in ST3:Undiscovered was honestly a bit of a let-down(she wound up flubbing a couple of lines so bad that Nimoy and Shatner refused to work with her again.That's why her supposed betrayal felt like it came out of nowhere).Still,one of my favorite Movie Actresses(right up there with Audrey Hepburn ,Madeline Kahn and Julie Newmar)
HalloweenJack

Re: Thunder

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:48 am

-For a costume, they could've maybe done better than Iron Fist & Billy Batson's female love child, but what can you do? It was the Archie Legion.
......Ares, you okay man? You're breathing hard
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Nightgirl‘s entire species should have Innate Darkvision, since their homeworld is perpetually dark.

If I recall correctly, the official explanation for her power’s Daylight drawback is something to do with stellar radiation, so that starlight on Earth (and most other planets) at night is dispersed enough by our atmosphere that it’s no issue. In the vacuum of space, it becomes a problem.

They can’t just give her one of Wildfire’s spare containment suits because, well, c’mon, you’ve seen how she dresses. What group of red- (and/or green-) blooded teenagers would want to stop that!?

Why they don’t just have Brainy make some SPF9000 super-sunblock is a mystery for the ages.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:23 am Why they don’t just have Brainy make some SPF9000 super-sunblock is a mystery for the ages.
Apparently, once you get to around SPF 5000 it risks giving you cancer XD
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

danelsan wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:44 am Apparently, once you get to around SPF 5000 it risks giving you cancer XD
I'd buy that for a dollar!

Edit: Cece is probably my favorite Legionnaire who was actually officially on the team. Either her or XS. Most of my favorites were either Subs or Cadets.
Jabroniville

Brainiac 5

Post by Jabroniville »

BRAINIAC 5 (Querl Dox, aka Brainiac 5.1)
Created By:
Jerry Siegel & Jim Mooney
First Appearance: Action Comics #276 (May 1961)
Home Planet: Colu
Origin of Powers: Racial Abilities
Eras: All Three
Relationships: Supergirl (Original), Andromeda (Reboot), Dream Girl (Threeboot)
Role: Super-Scientist, Deux Ex Machina, Guilt-Ridden Scientist, Absent-Minded Professor
PL 11 (172), PL 13 (172) Super-Scientist
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 13 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 5 (+6)
Technology 10 (+23)
Expertise (Science) 10 (+23)
Expertise (Space Hero) 4 (+17)
Investigation 4 (+8)
Expertise (History) 4 (+17)
Treatment 6 (+19)
Perception 3 (+7)
Vehicles 1 (+6)

Advantages:
Beginner's Luck, Equipment 14 (Tech Stuff, Legion Gear), Eidetic Memory, Inventor, Jack-of-All-Trades, Ranged Attack 5, Skill Mastery 2 (Technology, Science), Ultimate Technology Skill, Ultimate Science Skill, Well-Informed

Powers:
"Coluan Physiology: Twelfth-Level Intellect"
Quickness 6 (Flaws: Limited to Mental Abilities) [3]

"Force Field Belt" (Flaws: Removable) [40]
Force Field 12 (Extras: Affects Others, Ranged, Impervious 13) (49) -- (50 points)
"Field Ensarement" Snare 9 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (Flaws: Limited to Use on One Group) (27)

Equipment:
"Legion Gear"
"Telepathic Ear Plug" Comprehend 3 (Languages) (6)

"Legion Flight Ring"
Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)
Immunity 7 (Hot, Cold, Vacuum, Pressure, Radiation, Suffocation 2) (7)
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) (2)
Communication 5 (Flaws: Fifth Rank is only towards Legionnaires) (18)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Field Snare +9 Area (+9 Ranged Affliction, DC 19)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +2 (+14 Force Field), Fortitude +5, Will +8

Complications:
Relationship (Supergirl, Andromeda, Dream Girl)- Brainiac 5 has had three major relationships in Legion history- one in each continuity. The biggest was with Supergirl- he was as devastated by her death as Superman was, and inconsolable at her funeral.
Reputation (Douchebag)- At times, Brainy can be a bit stand-offish and arrogant. It's not that- it's just that he KNOWS he's the intellectual superior or everyone around him, and sometimes they FORGET and need to be reminded, y'know?
Accident (His Stuff Keeps Going Evil & Killing People)- Computo went evil and killed a duplicate of Triplicate Girl, then possessed the body of Invisible Kid's sister. Matter-Eater Lad went insane after eating someone else Brainy had a part in. His guilt drives him to cure/prevent these and other things, but he doesn't get all whiny like Pym does- Pymsuck does not exist in the DC Universe.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 28 / Powers: 43 / Defenses: 12 (172)

Brainiac 5- The Most Important Legionnaire Ever:
-There is absolutely NOBODY on this team who is more important that Querl Dox (notably, ALWAYS called "Brainy" or "Brainiac 5" in every issue I have featuring the character). Every single aspect of the team more or less depends on him.

-Brainiac 5 is a fascinating concept, and matters more to the Legion it seems, with every passing year. Because there's two or three guys to match Mon-El's strength, a bunch of people who shoot energy blasts, and a handful of guys great at espionage (Chameleon Boy, Invisible Kid & Phantom Girl), but there's only ONE guy as smart as Brainiac 5. The only comparable person is Lyle "Invisible Kid" Norg in the Reboot continuity, and even he's a distant #2. Plus there's the whole "I'm the ancestor of Superman's worst non-businessman enemy", which is something unusual, especially for the time (that was BEFORE every cool-looking villain a major push as a villain-turned-antihero- the idea of a super-villain having a heroic descendant in *1961* was incredible!). And then there's his relationships... for some reason, he's just the best possible fit for super-beautiful powerhouses like Supergirl & Laurel Gand, despite both of them having different personalities, because they temper his arrogance and humanize him at the same time.

Silver Age Brainiac 5:
-Brainiac 5 is a distant descendant of the original Brainiac, and wishes to atone for his great-great-granddather's misdeeds. Eventually, the origin for Brainiac 1 was amended, and 5 became the descendant of Brainiac 2, and the CLONE of the original. Having no power beyond incredible genius and computing speed, Brainiac became a Legionnaire of vast importance- perfecting the Legion Flight Ring (actuaklly a creation of the Invisible Kid), Mon-El's "Anti-Lead Serum", and his own Force Belt. However, he also created the evil Computo and the Miracle Machine (which rendered Matter-Eater Lad insane for years, writing him out of the series- things that burned him for years. This created a habit for the character- a tendency to create things without first thinking about the consequences.

My favourite Brainy moment is when he offers his resignation because he nearly got everyone killed by Computo again... the Legion basically said "Rejected!" and refused to let him quit because the knew he was just trying to help, and still saved the day in the end. Wildfire amusingly adds "Even *I* make mistakes once in a while!".

-In the '80s comics I own, he's a good bit different from the stoic, boring Reed Richards or Doctor Doom-types, lacking obsessiveness or megalomania, and being more driven by compassion or guilt. He acted fairly normal in a few of the comics, if a bit arrogant- his crush on Supergirl humanized him. When she was killed during the Crisis, he was emotionally shattered... but pretty soon, DC erased her from continuity PERIOD, meaning the Legion slowly "forgot" about her. He tried curing the "Validus Plague" in the "Five Years Later" era, and saw Supergirl replaced by a Laurel Gand- a Daxamite girl who was a descendant of Mon-El's brother. They had a relationship, but she eventually settled down with Rond Vidar, the Green Lantern of that time period. Brainy would meet his "SW6" Clone, but grew colder and more amoral as time went on, as Zero Hour took hold and messed with their continuity, and the Time Trapper aged him to becoming an elderly, enfeebled man. He was the best chance this continuity had of surviving Zero Hour, but it wasn't to be- both he & his Clone were swallowed up by the Reboot.

Reboot & Later Eras:
-Brainiac 5 in the "Reboot" era was a bit more of a classical "Brain" character- an antisocial, arrogant ass, obsessed with holding his own emotions back (he was raised by robots, and had no social skill training), but desperately missing Andromeda (the new Laurel Gand) when she disappeared. He was trapped in the 20th Century for a while, and built the device that became the new C.O.M.P.U.T.O., then developed a crush on that era's Supergirl (because of her similarity to Laurel, amusingly enough). When he returned to the Legion's timeline, he was an "upgraded" Brainiac 5.1- now considerate and full of people-skills, and internalizing his Force Shield.

-He eventually returned to his original name when he joined the "Legion Lost" team who were trapped in a faraway galaxy, and was going nuts over the pressure of being expected to find the way home all by himself. Eventually, however, the team returns home, but their continuity ends in 2004. Personally, I didn't really care for the "arrogant ass" version of Brainiac. I like my comic scientists more like Reed Richards, in that they don't INTEND to be dicks, they just forget that other people are around because they're engrossed in their work; they don't actively go out to hate on others.

Threeboot Era:
-Brainiac is an arrogant ass once more in this continuity, but is more politically savvy. He has an adversarial relationship with Dream Girl, owing to her ability to predict things she can't, and of COURSE this ends up with them falling in love and getting married, though not without the hurdles like her death and resurrection into an ephemeral form. The other two versions reappear during the Post-Infinite Crisis era, with the original enacting the plan to defeat Superboy-Prime once and for all. He shows up briefly in the "New 52" era as well, but isn't seen much.

Brainiac's Stats:
-Brainiac's not any good in a fist-fight, but that's not his point. He's the Thief of the D&D party, if you want to get into it- he's there to unlock the prison doors, escape the cell, shut down the super-computer, or point out the weakness of the death-bot. He's PL 10 because he's got that hyper-Force Field Belt thing going, saving him from mostly all harm (and sometimes trapping guys- I've seen this a couple times), and the points are all in Skills & Stats. Like Reed & Doom, his Intelligence is so high that you actually save a bunch of points on Skills (since you need less ranks of them to get to really high levels), which I think is perfectly legitimate. His intelligence is so high that it's beyond even REED RICHARDS (and his Tech Skill is two higher- he creates similarly-powered things and fails at similar things, but IS living in the far future, where high-tech is more mundane. He's so smart that he veers dangerously into White Witch/Magic Hero territory for pulling a victory out of his ass, but at least he usually has to BUILD STUFF, often has finite limits, and also requires PLANNING to save the day.

-The later two versions of Brainiac are much less intelligent (INT 10-11 at best), but still very capable geniuses.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 30, 2022 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Given that Kara Zor-El's only other main love interest was Comet the Super-Horse... I'm thinking that Brainy was definitely the better match. I mean, he never cheated on her with Superman's Gal, Lois Lane, or Wonder Woman's ancient foe, Circe.

No. I am not making any of that up.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:07 am Given that Kara Zor-El's only other main love interest was Comet the Super-Horse... I'm thinking that Brainy was definitely the better match. I mean, he never cheated on her with Superman's Gal, Lois Lane, or Wonder Woman's ancient foe, Circe.

No. I am not making any of that up.
The thought of Brainy and Supergirl(Kara Zor-El) being together reminds me of Revenge Of The Nerds for just the thought that the Prettiest girl in the clubhouse falls for the nerdest one there.....*sniff*it's beautiful .....
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I'll admit, I prefered the Brainy who was actually more of a nice person. The SW6 Brainiac was actually this kind of dorky but really sweet guy, and his relationship with Andromeda was very "Mr. Miracle/Big Barda"-esque, where the girl was this tall, Amazonian, passionate powerhouse while the guy is this super skilled genius, but whereas Scott is a showboat and cocky, Brainy is often conflicted, reserved, even a little prudish. I never liked Brainy as the jerk he got turned into.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

HalloweenJack wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:05 am

I'm actually not really a fan of the look myself. Its like it took what I like about the classic outfit, but got rid of the boots and cooler aspects like the armbands.

For that Iron Fist/Capt. Marvel hybrid to work, it'd need to be something like Danny Batson was trained in ancient martial arts by a Wizard to become the Eternal Weapon by defeating a dragon that contained the powers of the gods, and now has his chi infused with magic lightning.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:34 am

I'm actually not really a fan of the look myself. Its like it took what I like about the classic outfit, but got rid of the boots and cooler aspects like the armbands.

For that Iron Fist/Capt. Marvel hybrid to work, it'd need to be something like Danny Batson was trained in ancient martial arts by a Wizard to become the Eternal Weapon by defeating a dragon that contained the powers of the gods, and now has his chi infused with magic lightning.
... you came while writing that, didn't you :)?
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

The biggest weak point in Cece's design, IMHO, is that she has a traditional two-shoulder attachments Long Cape instead of Captain Marvel's far more distinctive cavalry-inspired single shoulder attachment Short Cape. This has the unfortunate side-effect of making her look like a Mary Marvel legacy heroine and not a Captain Marvel legacy.

Captain Marvel's short, single-shoulder cape.

Mary Marvel's two-shoulder cape, its short here, but artist vary. Take note of her shoes and bare arms.

Mary Marvel is clearly the ancestor of this design, not the Big Red Cheese. See the shoes and the bare arms?

Allow me to shamelessly plug my Guide to Capes.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:17 am
Ares wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:34 am

... you came while writing that, didn't you :)?
You can't prove anything.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Hey- question:

Has anyone here read interviews regarding the reboots and the decision making processes for them? Like why the obvious "Soft Reboot" of the SW6 kids was just dumped and they got rebooted fully? I mean, the reasons are easy to guess, but I'd like to get takes from the writers.