Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
MacynSnow

Re: Polar Boy

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:43 pm ImageImageImage
POLAR BOY (Brek Bannin)

Costume 2 would be better if it didn't have the helmet,as Brek just didn't look right with it on.Costume 3 was......Ok i guess,it was just an average supersuit of the "Threeboot" years.

As for Power,just add some sort of Create Object like Iceman or maybe some stunting like New52 Captain Cold........
Jabroniville

Antennae Lad

Post by Jabroniville »

ANTENNAE LAD (Khfeurb Chee Bez)
Created By:
Jerry Siegel & John Forte
First Appearance: Adventures Comics #305 (Feb. 1963)
Home Planet: Grxyor
Origin of Powers: Mutation From Birth
Eras: Original Only
Relationships: None
Role: Joke Hero
PL 2 (33)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Space Hero) 2 (+2)
Expertise (History) 4 (+4)
Expertise (Newscaster) 6 (+6)
Perception 3 (+4)
Vehicles 1 (+3)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Antennae" Senses 6 (Detect Radio Broadcasts- Extended 5) (Flaws: Side-Effect- Defeaning Feedback) [3]
"Detects Past Broadcasts" Postcognition 4 (Flaws: Limited to Radio Broadcasts) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +1, Fortitude +2, Will +2

Complications: 
Reputation (Weak Hero)- His only real power is detecting radio signals.

Total: Abilities: 16 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 5 / Defenses: 4 (33)

-Antennae Lad was too useless for the Substitute Heroes (yes, you read that right), and was thus an auxiliary member. You wouldn't think that a power as useless as picking up radio signals would need A WEAKNESS, but there it is.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 25, 2022 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Re: Polar Boy

Post by Ken »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:47 am
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:43 pm ImageImageImage
POLAR BOY (Brek Bannin)

Costume 2 would be better if it didn't have the helmet,as Brek just didn't look right with it on.Costume 3 was......Ok i guess,it was just an average supersuit of the "Threeboot" years.

I thought Costume 3 was the post-Infinite Crisis de-boot era.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Batgirl III

Re: Jab's Builds! (Timber Wolf! Cosmic Boy! Kid Quantum! Karate Kid!

Post by Batgirl III »

I've always thought his Post-Zero Hour look was adorable, sort of a super-hero attempt at the Cute Shotaro Boy trope.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Fire Lad

Post by Jabroniville »

FIRE LAD (Staq Mavlen)
Created By:
Edmond Hamilton & John Forte
First Appearance: Adventure Comics #306 (March 1963)
Home Planet: Shwar
Origin of Powers: Proximity to a flaming meteor
Eras: Original only
Relationships: None
Role: Joke Hero
PL 5 (49)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Deception 4 (+3)
Expertise (Space Hero) 2 (+2)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 3, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Fire-Breathing"
Fire Blast 5 (Diminished Range -3) [7]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Fire Blast +5 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Reputation (Weak Hero)- He can barely control his power.
Accident (Uncontrolled Power)- Fire Lad's flames will shoot out every time he sneezes. Also, he has bad allergies, so he sneezes. A lot.
Power Loss (Fire Breath)- Fire Lad must be able to open his mouth to use his powers.

Total: Abilities: 22 / Skills: 6--3 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 7 / Defenses: 12 (49)

-Man, the Substitute Heroes were terrible fighters sometimes. Well, Night Girl could be useful, but Fire Lad? He could breath fire. But not a LOT of fire. Or very accurately. And he blew fire every time he sneezed. And he had allergies. Basically being a bastardized, weaker version of Sun Boy didn't really do much for the poor kid.

-I imagine most of the Substituters are similarly cheap on points, low on Skills & other stats, and low in PL. He can breath fire for a short burst, but can be gagged to stop it, and tends to just spout off accidentally every now and then.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 25, 2022 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:13 pm On the topic of kids with with powers that don't have a lot of battlefield use, but have use elsewhere..Anybody remember Sky High? I do remember that the sidekicks with supposedly "useless" powers (like turning into a gerbil) being made useful towards the end.
Only parts of that movie I remember are the AMAZING name of "Warren Peace" and... wait, I forget... SOMETHING about that movie appealed to me. I just can't remember what it i--

MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 25, 2022 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Eighteen year old Danielle Panabaker!

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:27 am The Subs were heroic as hell.

They had courage beyond belief, it’s one thing to face down a runaway robot when you know you’ve got Kryptonian Invulnerability or Phantom Phasing... But throwing down with an army of Daxamites when you’ve got color-changing ability?
Yeah, that scene was great- Daxamites are rampaging across the universe, and he's throwing out a goddamn rainbow. Not a magical rainbow or a super-rainbow. AN ACTUAL RAINBOW MADE OF REGULAR LIGHT. Against DAXAMITES.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:58 am Eighteen year old Danielle Panabaker!

40-something Kelly Preston in tights >>>>> anything short of a Chenoweth/Menzel make-out fest.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I had to watch the movie twice to notice Kelly Preston, she shares most of her scenes with Snake Plissken.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Karate Kid! Projectra! Legion of Substitute Heroes!)

Post by Jabroniville »

UUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH I wish Linkara would get a different voice, or get someone else to narrate his stuff. I REALLY, REALLY wanted to see his take on The Great Darkness Saga. I only got three minutes in before I had to shut it off. I absolutely cannot STAND to listen to him talk. I just can't.
Jabroniville

Night Girl

Post by Jabroniville »

Good GRAVY some of these pics!!! And these are ACTUAL COSTUMES she wore!

NIGHT GIRL (Lydda Jath)
Created By:
Edmond Hamilton & John Forte
First Appearance: Adventure Comics #306 (March 1963)
Home Planet: Kathoon
Origin of Powers: Scientific Experiments by her father
Eras: All Three
Relationships: Cosmic Boy
Role: Surprisingly-Powerful Joke Hero
PL 12 (113)
STRENGTH
2/16 STAMINA 3/13 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+6)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Space Hero) 4 (+5)
Insight 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 4 (+6)
Stealth 5 (+7)
Technology 3 (+4)
Vehicles 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Interpose, Ranged Attack 3, Teamwork

Powers:
"Night-Based Strength" (All Have Flaws: Only in Darkness/Nightfall)
Enhanced Strength 14 [14]
Enhanced Stamina 10 [10]
Protection 3 [1.5]
Impervious Toughness 10 [5]
Power-Lifting 6 (50,000 tons) [3]
Leaping 5 (250 feet) [2.5]

"Kathoonian Physiology"
Senses 2 (Darkvision) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
At Night +8 (+16 Damage, DC 31)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+16 at Night), Fortitude +4 (+14 at Night), Will +5

Complications:
Power Loss (All Powers)- When hit by Ultraviolet Radiation, Night Girl's powers turn off.
Relationship (Cosmic Boy)

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 36 / Defenses: 9 (115)

-Night Girl's a funny one- she starts out in the '60s being rejected because her Superman-Class super-strength is ONLY AVAILABLE TO HER AT NIGHT. Yes, they actually TURNED DOWN someone at Kryptonian level. I would think someone who can lift an aircraft carrier over their head would get a pass no matter WHAT her limitations were, never mind the fact that you have the greatest genius in comics on the same team as her, but oh well, I'm not a futuristic super-hero. So she became one of the few Legion of Substitute Hero members who was any good in a fight, and had a relationship with Cosmic Boy for a long time.

-Night Girl comes from a world enveloped in perpetual darkness, and was given powers by her father, and was a founding member of the Substitute Heroes, being probably the least-silly of the group. Hell, she even wore the trademark "Nude Legion" garb of the early '70s, back when the rest of her team deliberately dressed as goofily as possible! Gaining skills in the martial arts, she finally hooked up with her crush- Cosmic Boy (the reason she left Kathoon in the first place). She and Cos finally settled down and married in the "Five Years Later" era, having a son named Pol (named for The Magnetic Kid, who had died by that point).

-Lydda actually appeared in the "Reboot" era a couple of times, joining a new Substitute Heroes band, but this group never got much focus. In "Threeboot", she was made a member of the Legion Reserves. The Post-Infinite Crisis era revealed that she & Cosmic Boy had never settled down- him giving up a personal life so that the Legion's co-founders, Saturn Girl & Lightning Lad, could have theirs.

-Me, I mainly remember her for A) the GREAT beehive hairdo, which is one of the most dated haircuts on the team, and probably the dated 'do that lasted the longest; and B) HOLY CRAP THAT OUTFIT!!! The "Nude Legion" was infamous for its fanservice, but Lydda made SHADOW LASS look like Dust of the X-Men! I mean, most of the girls were baring flesh back in the day, but at least Phantom Girl & Shrinking Violet still looked like they were in super-hero costumes! Lydda was basically wearing a STRAP BIKINI and nothing else. And it was glorious.

-Night Girl's ridiculously-high power levels are balanced by her limitations, but she's a PL 12 Flying Brick, who comes up quite a ways short on points. She's a devastating fighter (and apparently very good at martial arts, to balance out her weakness), but VERY limited in a campaign, but very cost-effective for clever players (say, toss her in with Color Kid or a guy with Night-based powers, or even Shadow Lass), since she's getting Superman-class strength at half-price.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 25, 2022 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Hey, a character I actually know!

Well, kind of. I used a picture of her for a PbP character submission.

This one. Ain't she cool looking?
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Definitely the best owl-themed look of all time. Suck it, Court of Owls :).
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

L-Space wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:51 pm
Ares wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:49 pm Yeah, it's one of those things where his power isn't great for a superhero, but could you imagine what he could do for farmers? Or helping people grow vegetables in impoverished areas? Or like Woodclaw mentioned, disaster relieve areas? Just toss some apple seeds on the ground and BAM, instant orchard with enough food for all of the refuges.

It's just that being a superhero is flashy, cool and gets you girls. So it makes sense for a kid to want to do that over going help grow food in a desert.
Between all of these superhero teams or uber rich heroes, you would think one of them would set up an organization based off of getting the non-combat powers used to help people in other ways. Like you said, it's not as flashy as regular superheroics, but still you'd think it's something that would at least be mentioned more in superhero stories.
That point about the greater good has always been something I've really worked to just not think about, lest it hinder my comic enjoying experience. Lex Luthor, Reed Richards, Victor Von Doom, Tony Stark, Bruce Wayne and other geniuses could easily sit down, figure out cures for cancer, the energy issues, world hunger, etc. with the skills they've used to come up with gadgets to fight each other with all these years. But having Alex Ross paint panel after panel of Mr. Fantastic testing Negative Zone energy's impact on cancer cells or the current heroic Dr. Doom negotiating the usage of a terraformer in Nigeria with its leaders isn't going to sell comics.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum