Jab’s Builds! (Shingen! Leather & Lace! The Lunatic Legion!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Sailors Uranus & Neptune! Sailor Pluto! The Witches 5!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Ooh yeah, I remember that one! It even brought up how common it was for the heroine to sacrifice herself at the end of the story.
Jabroniville

Kaolinite

Post by Jabroniville »

KAOLINITE (aka Kaori)
Dub Name:
Kaolinite, Kaori
Name Translation: Kaolinite, a layered silicate mineral
Role: Supreme Bitch, Leader of the Witches 5, Inexplicable Returning Character
Main Uniform Colour: Red
Hair Colour: Red
PL 11 (177)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+7)
Deception 7 (+11)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+7)
Investigation 3 (+6)
Expertise (Science) 8 (+13)
Perception 5 (+8)
Ranged Attack (Snare) 4 (+12)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Improved Aim, Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 6, Taunt

Powers:
Flight 5 (60 mph) [10]

"Prehensile Hair" Snare 10 (Feats: Reversible, Tether, Improved Critical 2) (34) -- [36]
  • AE: Teleport 10 (Extras: Extended) (30)
  • AE: Move Object 6 (12)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Mosaic Buster +14 (+8 Ranged Damage & Weaken, DC 23 & 18)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +14 (DC 24), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +8, Fortitude +9, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (The Death Busters)- The Death Busters are to make the Earth ready for the arrival of Mistress 9 and Pharaoh 90.
Rivalry (Viluy)- Viluy is physically and verbally aggressive with Kaolinite, who plots to murder her in return.
Rivalry (Hotaru)- Kaori seems to despise young Hotaru, taunting the sickly little girl at every turn.
Relationship (Professor Tomoe)- Kaori flirts repeatedly with the Professor once he resurrects her. She assumes that they'll be a loving couple in the new world created by The Silence.

Total: Abilities: 84 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 46 / Defenses: 19 (177)

-The most-seen of the Death Busters, Kaolinite is one of those characters with a very weird history. See, she was our "First General" character- a General-type who acted as a foot soldier for the mysterious "Professor", and engaged the Sailors in battle frequently. Her smug demeanor and willingness to slaughter humanity made her a nasty adversary, but she was eventually killed in a dramatic battle- one of the better "General Deaths". Great, right? Except then SHE SUDDENLY COMES BACK, after several episodes featuring other Death Busters (The Witches 5), with a casual mention made of the Professor "resurrecting" her (something he never does with anyone else). And her role in this form is completely different from the other- she engages in no more battles, and is slaughtered off-handedly, never to be mentioned again. It's WEIRD STORYTELLING.

-Kaolinite, as mentioned, is our "First General". Wielding "Prehensile Hair", she leads the charge of Daimons, which extract Pure Hearts from humans, in hopes of finding the Three Talismans that form The Holy Grail. Smug, self-assured, and with a lot of power, she does some damage. After twelve episodes, she manages to capture Tuxedo Mask, luring Sailor Moon and her "special" Pure Heart Crystal to Tokyo Tower. She manages to steal Usagi's Crystal, but has to return it when Sailors Uranus & Neptune attack. Ultimately, the original Sailors try to give themselves up in sacrifice to allow the elders to escape, but Tuxedo Mask himself challenges Kaolinite while the girls build up their Sailor Planet Attack. However, this actually FAILS TO KILL HER, which is insane- that's the "MurderDeathKill" attack of the series! She nearly wipes out the exhausted Sailors, but Uranus reverses her freezing attack, sending her falling off the Tokyo Tower to her doom. The Witches 5 thus take over as Generals, starting with Eudial.

-It's thus quite surprising when the character reappears out of NOWHERE, suddenly acting as the nanny/caretaker to young Hotaru Tomoe, the incredibly innocent-seeming daughter of the very Professor seen only in shadows up till this point! She's still the Prof's assistant, and acts more flirtacious than ever. However, she engages in no battles- she only snipes in little cruel ways at poor Hotaru. Every time Hotaru tries to make friends to succeed at something, Kaolinite is there to remind her of her weaknesses, her ill health, and her failures, while INSISTING she stay away from her new friends. And here, she accomplishes that SPECIAL kind of bitchy villainy- the kind from the villainess in The Rescuers ("Who would ever want a homely little girl like you?")- just meaninglessly, casually CRUEL to small children.

-As "Kaori", she even taunts Hotaru's angry face ("Oh, SUCH a face!"), and is shown in the past to chide Hotaru for "deliberately" killing her beloved pet goldfish. The fact that we learn Hotaru is holding the essence of the evil Mistress 9, and Kaori KNOWS THIS, makes it all the more horrific that she's being so mean. She is taunted by the Witch Viluy for her flirting with the Professor, and smirks gleefully when Viluy dies. She's super-happy when she's able to cast the spell that pulls out Chibi-Usa's Pure Heart Crystal, which is the final step required for Mistress 9's transformation on Earth, and assumes she and the Professor will be a romantic couple from then on... at which point Mistress 9 just blasts her, vaporizing Kaolinite into nothing.

-Her death is sadly kind of an afterthough, as it happens in an episode featuring Cyprine & Ptilol as the final members of Witches 5, the creation of Mistress 9, and more- the death seems to mean little. Really, they could have made it seem more like Mistress 9 was doing this more for revenge due to the treatment Kaori had given her human self over the years. Instead it's just "Casual Minion-Slaughtering", which isn't much fun. And it's so QUICK, too- just a sudden Lightning Bolt and she's dead. I would have really liked this dawning horror on Kaori's face, as she realizes she's about to be slain by the very being she'd spent years tormenting. I mean, Kaori was a BITCH- a special kind of nasty woman, even by the standards of this show.

-In the manga, Kaolinite is the leader of the Witches 5, having been empowered as "Magus Kaolinite" by Pharaoh 90. She outlives the Witches 5, dying only once- she is sent by Mistress 9 (who knows that Kaolinite wishes to supplant her beside Pharaoh 90, and is amused by this) against the Sailor Senshi, and defeats the Inner Sailors. The Outer Sailors rescue them, however, and Sailor Moon wipes out her Daimon Form with Rainbow Moon Heart Ache.

-Kaolinite is a very dangerous fighter, able to handle the PL 9-10 Sailor Senshi in a pitched battle, largely thanks to her Prehensile Hair and great defenses, as well as a pretty good minion (who also had a Snare). She utilized more powers than the other Death Busters (the Witches 5 were Weapon-Users who were never seen flying or levitating; Kaolinite is much more like the Dark Kingdom or Black Moon Generals, in that she could fly).
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Sailors Uranus & Neptune! Sailor Pluto! The Witches 5!)

Post by Jabroniville »

LOL- someone posted the Macho Man's bachelor party to YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaKsOeCuNhc

Amazing stuff.

"Was Sherri here? Oh, that's fish." Holy shit- Piper ruled.

Mean Gene being a pervert about those "Stag films" the Bushwackers brought is great. And Heenan with the "They're not too ba-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-ad".
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri May 18, 2018 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Tuxedo Mask! Sailors Uranus & Neptune! Sailor Pluto!)

Post by Jabroniville »

drkrash wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:46 am
Jabroniville wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:32 am Also, hot diggety damn, check out one of the GameFaqs pages for a Samurai Shodown character I've never heard of: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/arcade/58 ... i/faqs/815

Now THAT's a bio I can build a character from! That is a LOT of detail, right down to the special moves! I hope they ALL look like this- makes things a lot easier.

Fighter's History is still the next Fighting Game I'm building, though- it's smaller and easier :).
Heh. Sorry I couldn't provide that for you for KOF.
Don't worry about it- I fully understand that this is an INSANE amount of work to expect from anyone, and that only young people with scads of free time could even hope to be this thorough :).
scc

Re: Jab's Builds! (LOSH Done! Raptors! Sailor Moon S! Sailor Mars!)

Post by scc »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 4:31 am
Ares wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 3:28 am I was never a big Sailor Moon fan, but of the scouts Jupiter was my favorite as well. Jokes about her sizeable talents aside, she was just always the most appealing of the bunch. Moon and Venus seemed like they'd drive you nuts eventually with their "zany shenanigans", while both Moon and Mercury seemed like they'd need constant reassurance because of fragile egos. Mars is confident, but I never really cared for bitchy or bossy characters, no matter how big their "heart of gold deep down" might be. I've seen folks get into relationships with women like that, and it always seemed like some kind of Stockholmes syndrome. "She treats everyone else like crap, but she only treats me like dirt. She's even nice to me once or twice a year. This must be love!"

Jupiter, by contrast, was occasionally goofy, but not goofy enough to be annoying. She's strong, independent, a kickass fighter, but like Jab said, she lost none of her femininity in the process. And the boy crazy thing should go away once you actually get her in a committed relationship, since she'll then just transfer all of that desire for a relationship onto you, and probably be a very devoted partner. Honestly, she seems by far the best choice of the girls.

Having super long legs and ample talent doesn't hurt things, tho.
B-but Rei only treats USAGI and YUICHIRO like that- everyone else who passes muster and isn't a doofus is treated well! so all I have to do is behave and follow orders, and I won't have to explain away any black eyes to the neighbors, or shave my head so she'll stop pulling my hair!

W-we're the perfect couple! *single tear rolls down cheek*
Like Frank Barone said about Stefania in Everyone Loves Raymond "She could hit me over the head with a frying pan and I wouldn't care." The same goes for Sailor Mars. I love Jupiter as well. Though I didn't really watch the show but they stood out for me.
Jabroniville

Professor Tomoe

Post by Jabroniville »

Sailor Moon: "STOP! If you love Hotaru, you will let her go!"
Professor Tomoe: *smiles* "... Love? What is that?"

PROFESSOR TOMOE (Souichi Tomoe)
Dub Name:
Professor Tomoe
Name Translation: None
Role: Mad Scientist
Main Uniform Colour: White
Hair Colour: White
PL 5 (85)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 9 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Deception 6 (+11)
Expertise (Science) 8 (+17)
Perception 3 (+6)
Technology 7 (+16)

Advantages:
Inventor, Ultimate Science Skill

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +4, Fortitude +4, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (The Silence)- Professor Tomoe is responsible for bringing forth The Silence at the hands of Pharaoh 90.
Relationship (Hotaru)- Souichi loves his daughter desperately, and would sell out humanity to bring her back. Under the control of Germatoid, however, he only cares about bringing forward Mistress 9.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 5 (85)

-The Professor was a very strange villain for this show- not a mystical powerhouse, seductive woman, or Cosmic Entity, he was a MAD SCIENTIST of all things. A huge difference from past bad guys. A cackling madman with a cartoonish, exaggerated grin, he kind of bridged the line between "Menacing Psychopath" and "Cartoony Goofball", as he would randomly burst out with laughter, but also dreamed of Pure Hearts and the awakening of the Dark Messiah. He was as close to The Joker as you're gonna get in anime- who ELSE would goofily engage in a game of Twister with the Witches 5, or calmly gulp down bags of groceries when it turns out his base is now an impenetrable portal into another dimension?

-The Professor's backstory and true face aren't revealed until much later. It turns out that he's the owner and head instructor of "Mugen Academy"- a High School for the gifted. And that years ago, he created a miniaturized "Alternate Universe" in his lab, which accidentally summoned forth incredible power from Pharaoh 90- the Cosmic Entity slaughtered all those present, including Tomoe's innocent young daughter, Hotaru. And the two made a deal- Hotaru would live, so long as the Professor allowed himself to be possessed by a Daimon. Hotaru was thus turned into the Dark Messiah, none the wiser as to what happened. And the Prof would swing rapidly between "Caring Father" (Hotaru hated her caregiver, Kaolinite, but loved her father) and "Psychotic Madman" (explaining to Hotaru- under control of Mistress 9- that the two must destroy the world).

-Daimon Germatoid eventually reveals himself from the Professor, and Tomoe spends the rest of his time trying to save Hotaru- he and Sailor Moon desperately beg Hotaru to break free from Mistress 9's control, and this actually works. He is badly injured as a result, with some Convenient Amnesia disguising everything that's happened from him, and he goes about raising Reborn Baby Hotaru none the wiser.

-The Professor in the manga was a significantly different beast- he looked the same, but was ALWAYS evil, and ALWAYS attempting to turn Hotaru into Mistress 9. He was slain at the end of Sailor Moon S, leaving Baby Hotaru to be raised by Haruka & Michiru. This led to some awkwardness in the anime, when they engaged in Naoko Takeuchi's "Okay, all the Sailors come back" plot twist for Sailor Stars, but had to basically walk up to the Professor, go "we're gonna need this, 'k?", and just took his baby away to be aged back up into Sailor Saturn.

"This world of light, full of falsehoods, will soon be destroyed."

GERMATOID
Dub Name:
Germatoid
Name Translation: None
Role: Mad Scientist
Main Uniform Colour: White
Hair Colour: White
PL 9 (183)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Deception 6 (+11)
Intimidation 3 (+8)
Perception 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Initiative, Move-By Action, Startle

Powers:
Immunity 20 (Bludgeoning Damage) [20]
Elongation 2 [2]

"Imbue Dolls With Essence" Summon Doll 5 (Extras: Active, Horde, 16 Minions +8) [60]

Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +6, Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (The Silence)- Germatoid is responsible for bringing forth The Silence at the hands of Pharaoh 90.

Total: Abilities: 80 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 82 / Defenses: 11 (183)

DOLLS
PL 7 (70), Minion Rank 5
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 6 (+11)
Intimidation 3 (+8)
Perception 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Initiative, Move-By Action, Startle

Powers:
Immunity 20 (Bludgeoning Damage) [20]
Elongation 2 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +4, Will +2

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 8 (70)

-Germatoid reveals himself near the end of the series, with the golden-colored, semisolid Daimon secreting himself out of Professor Tomoe's body and attacking the Sailors. He takes on Sailors Uranus & Neptune himself, imbuing a horde of "Dolls" with his essence, turning it into a Minion Fight. Uranus & Neptune are unable to do any damage with their melee attacks, when Sailor Pluto's disembodied voice shouts "The TALISMANS!", and they Deux Ex Machina right into their hands, despite the Holy Grail being elsewhere- it's explained that the Talismans only CREATE the Grail, not really disappear once it shows up. And so Neptune's Aqua Mirror paralyzes and slaughters a horde of Daimons, and then Uranus shoves the Space Sword right into the face of the final one, killing Germatoid once and for all.

-The Dolls are REALLY creepy-looking, resembling the gaunt, inhuman Angels from Neon Genesis Evangelion. And they move like the creatures from Attack on Titan, all herky-jerky and unnatural.
Jabroniville

Sailor Saturn

Post by Jabroniville »

SAILOR SATURN (Hotaru Tomoe)
Dub Name:
Hotaru Tomoe
Role: Impossibly-Innocent Little Girl, Demonic Child, The Senshi of Destruction
Main Fuku Colour: Violet
Elemental Alignment: Blowing Up Planets, I Guess
Hair Colour: Black
PL 14 (136), PL 22 (136) Extinction-Level Event
STRENGTH
-2/1 STAMINA 0/4 AGILITY 0/4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Close Combat (Glaive) 2 (+10)
Deception 2 (+1)
Intimidation 8 (+9)
Perception 4 (+5)
Persuasion 4 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Senshi Attacks) 6 (+10)

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Equipment (Communicator), Extraordinary Effort, Fearless, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Startle

Powers:
"Sailor Strength"
Enhanced Strength 3 [6]
Enhanced Stamina 4 [8]
Enhanced Agility 4 [8]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Movement 1 (Safe Fall) [2]

Healing 6 (Flaws: Limited to Others, Tiring) [3]
Senses 4 (Precognition) (Flaws: Unreliable) [2]

"Silence Glaive" (Flaws: Easily Removable) (Feats: Restricted 2) [55]
"Death Reborn Revolution!" Blast 18 (Feats: Improved Range 5, Improved Critical 2, Penetrating 15) Linked to Weaken Toughness 15 (Feats: Improved Range 5) (Extras: Ranged) (83) -- (88 points)
  • AE: "End the World" Damage 36 (Feats: Penetrating 20) (Flaws: Fatal -3) Linked to Weaken Toughness 25 (Extras: Affects Objects) (82)
  • AE: "Silence Glaive Surprise!" Damage 12 (Feats: Penetrating 12) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Penetrating) (48)
  • AE: "Death Ribbon Revolution!" Damage 11 (Feats: Penetrating 12) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (45)
  • AE: "Smack with Glaive" Strength-Damage +6 (6)
  • AE: "Silence Wall!" Force Field 10 (Feats: Increased Mass 3) (Extras: Affects Others, Impervious 15) (38)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (-2 Damage, DC 13)
Unarmed Senshi +8 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Glaive Slash +10 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Silence Glaive Surprise +12 Area (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Death Reborn Revolution +10 (+18 Ranged Damage & +15 Weaken, DC 33 & 30)
End the World +8 (+36 Damage & +25 Weaken, DC 46 & 35)
Initiative +0 (+4 Senshi)

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +0 (+4 Sailor, +14 Silence Wall), Fortitude +5, Will +7

Complications (Early):
Power Loss (All Powers)- Sailor Senshi must be able to gesture and speak freely to use their powers. If they are Bound or Snared, they cannot use their attacks easily.
Normal Identity (Tomoe Hotaru, Without Power Stick)
Responsibility (Sailor Senshi)- The Senshi are forced to fight evil, and protect Sailor Moon.
Secret (Identity)- The Senshi must not reveal their identities to the world at large, nor their villains.
Enemy (Current Big Bad)
---
Responsibility (Sickly)- For years, Hotaru was sickly because she was sharing her body with Mistress 9. She was ST -2, STA -2, AGI -1, and any physicaly exertion would leave her Incapacitated for hours.
Relationship (Chibi-Usa)- The only person not creeped out by Hotaru's magical powers was Chibi-Usa, and this made her eternally grateful for her new friend. Chibi-Usa's friendship is a huge part of what brought Hotaru free out of Mistress 9's body.
Relationship (The Other Sailors)- Hotaru gets along with Chibi-Usa's friends as well, especially Usagi. She eventually grows close with the Outer Sailors (even though they tried to KILL HER).
Relationship (Souichi Tomoe)- Hotaru is very dependant upon her father, who acts kindly to her in person.
---
Responsibility (The Soldier of Destruction/The Dark Messiah)- Hotaru is believed to be the destroyer of the world, and the bringer of the end times.
Enemy (Kaolinite)- The vicious Kaolinite has scolded and admonished Hotaru since she was a little girl, never letting her forget that there was a demon inside of her somewhere.

Total: Abilities: 16 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 86 / Defenses: 11 (136)

Sailor Saturn- The One We're Not Supposed To See A Lot Of:
-They did a really, really good job with Sailor Saturn on this show. Throwing in the last of the Solar System's planets into a Sailor, and making her BY FAR the most powerful, could have been fraught with peril. The fans could have rejected her, and they'd have made a mess fitting her into the stories. So they really worked wonders with her manga & anime selves.

-Hotaru Tomoe debuts as an impossibly-endearing, fragile little girl, desperately lonely and oh, SO eager for friendship. Appearing very gaunt, with a large head (implying youth) and a dark ballerina outfit, she looked vaguely gothic, but also needy and helpless enough that I can buy that the term "Moe" (a weird catch-all for "endearing, emotional little girls that weird older guys are way into in a way that seems kind of creepy but apparently isn't supposed to be so, but I'm really not sure", in anime terms) was invented beacuse of her last name ("Toh-moh-ay"). Hotaru is cheerful and friendly with Chibi-Usa, but appears very frightened and sickly, to the point where she can't be on her own for very long, because any kind of exertion can cause "attacks" that leave her requiring hospitalization.

-It turns out that her father is a kindly old Professor... except he's ALSO the leader of the Death Busters, and a total madman! He plays innocent with her, and in public, while her "caretaker" Kaolinite is a vicious, nasty bitch who constantly browbeats Hotaru for being selfish, cruel and helpless. Hotaru actively hates Kaolinite's intrusion into her life, frequently yelling at her and demanding to be left alone, only for "Kaori" to sneer at her and make fun of her for making "SUCH a face!" when Hotaru gives her the evil eye.

-But then it turns out there's some real darkness here. Hotaru is having an attack, and is in the way of an evil Daimon, and totally doomed! The Sailors are desperate to save her... and then her f*cking eyes light up like Satan himself is empowering her, some creepy "little girl chorus" starts up, and the Daimon is BLASTED with some kind of mysterious energy! And then it happens again in ANOTHER episode! And we get flashbacks to Little Hotaru crying about her dead goldfish, only to be scolded by Kaori for killing it herself. And being in class, asking for her friend, and getting yelled at by the other kids, since they all saw her attack and injure him the day before! She bawls to her father "I feel like there's another person INSIDE of me!", and that she doesn't remember all of these things, and the music gets SO ominous and creepy... there's something really, really wrong going on.

Mistress 9:
-Hotaru turns out to be the "Dark Messiah" (called "Messiah of Silence" in the new dub)- the bringer of The Silence that Sailors Uranus & Neptune have been fearing this entire time. She "speaks" to her father via some speakers by a giant chair covered with stuffed animals, using an "Adult and child speaking at the same time" voice just to ramp up the eeriness EVEN MORE. The Outer Sailors are convinced they have to kill her, while the Inners refuse to be so cruel- Hotaru & Chibi-Usa are friends, after all. Even Hotaru revealing the symbol of Saturn on her forehead- indicating that she is the "Senshi of Destruction" who could destroy planets in the Silver Millennium time period- don't dissuade them.

-Finally, the Outers attempt to kill her, but Sailor Moon saves Hotaru's life. And the stealing of Chibi-Usa's Heart Crystal empowers Hotaru, transforming her into Mistress 9, who slaughters Kaolinite immediately, then brings forth Pharaoh 90 and nearly destroys the world. However, some good old-fashioned "I know you're inside there!" works wonders, and Hotaru is able to break free. Sailor Saturn is finally revealed, using her "Death Reborn Revolution" technique to destroy Pharaoh 90 and save the world alongside Sailor Moon. Saturn thanks Sailor Moon for protecting her life, then fades away, leaving only an infant Hotaru, reborn.

Super S & Sailor Stars:
-Baby Hotaru is raised by Uranus, Pluto & Neptune (manga) and an amnesiac Professor Tomoe (anime), until Sailor Moon SuperS needs to get all the Sailors together as a plot convenience- in the manga, she ages herself back into Sailor Saturn and re-powers the other Sailors (who'd been de-powered at the end of S)- together, they join the fight against the Dead Moon Circus. In the anime, she has to wait until Sailor Stars, when Uranus & Neptune abruptly go "We're gonna need this; kthanxbai" to the Professor and age up Hotaru themselves, then go fight Queen Nehellenia. However, she is a mere "assister character" from this point on, rarely mattering overly much to the plot. In the manga, she is easily beaten by Sailor Galaxia and killed, while in the anime, her and Pluto are killed by Sailors Uranus & Neptune as part of a ruse to trick Galaxia... who kills them anyways.

Sailor Saturn Overall:
-I think her few appearances are part of the appeal for the character- she also LOOKS different than the other girls, having extra bits to her costume that the others lack, like a spikier fuku (skirt), shoulder-things sticking out, and more. The giant Silence Glaive is a big bonus, too.

The Powers of Saturn:
-Sailor Saturn breaks the standard for Senshi, largely because of her mess of weird powers, and her lack of physicality. She's so weak physically that she's useless with anything but her powers, but MAN, what powers. She tends not to use Death Reborn Revolution EVER except for that one time against Master Pharaoh 90 (and seriously, how is "Death Reborn Revolution" NOT the most bad-ass sounding attack name in history?), but it's her key effect- it's not seen in the anime. Instead, you just witness a battle with a lot of energy blasts slicing along Pharaoh 90's form. In the manga, he explicitly cries out in pain that she's draining his life force away- he shrinks and shrinks, eventually removing himself from Earth, and Sailors Saturn & Moon finish him off.

-The rest of her techniques are common Blasts (Death Ribbon Revolution is an "Energy Wave" attack from the Fighting Game), and a really good Force Field that makes her a top flight team player (on two separate occasions, it saves other characters from Sailor Galaxia's attacks). Still, I wouldn't recommend tossing a PL 14 character ANYWHERE near this crew, even if that power had a huge amount of Flaws attached to it.
-Obviously, her "Destroy the World" power is one of those things that's unlikely to come up in the game, as it never really got used as anything other than a plot device, so it's barely worth putting down. Only used once in the manga, it finished off the Moon Kingdom after the deaths of all the major characters, allowing them to be reborn in the later Millennium. 'Course, once the Planet goes, the wielder of the attack would probably die, thus making it pretty much fatal to poor Saturn as well :). Note: Don't try to use this in a game. It's quite impolite to the other players.

-If you wanna blow up the planet like an Area Attack, you can do it like so: "End the World" Damage 30 (Feats: Penetrating 20) (Extras: Area- 8,000 miles +22) (Flaws: Fatal -3) (620 points). The Earth is 7,900-ish miles in diameter, but since you'd be standing on one edge of it, you'd "only" get 4,000 miles deep- which is probably enough to crack it anyways. This is obviously WAY more expensive than just putting together enough raw power to do it- it's actually not that difficult using M&M stats (a high enough-damage attack will take out even a planetoid made out of rock & mantle), though most GMs probably wouldn't allow it.
Batgirl III

Re: Sailor Saturn

Post by Batgirl III »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 11:12 pm Image
"I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck!"
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Davies

Re: Jab's Builds! (Sailor Pluto! The Witches 5! Kaolinite! Sailor Saturn!)

Post by Davies »

Since Saturn's attack has never been tested on Earth, it would probably be better to use the diameter of the planetary body it has been tested against -- the Moon. (And try not to think about the suggestion, in some texts, that she wiped out all civilization throughout the solar system.)
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 11:18 pm
"I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck!"
Not to be confused with the Sacramento Turtleneck.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ken wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 1:04 am
I don’t want to google that, do I...
Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 1:07 am
Ken wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 1:04 am

I don’t want to google that, do I...
Probably not. There's not even a consensus anyway. But, it's like the Old King Clancy, but with honey instead of maple syrup. See canadiansexacts.org
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Mistress 9

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage
ImageImage

MISTRESS NINE (Hotaru Tomoe)
Dub Name:
Hotaru Tomoe
Name Translation: Instant Dark Ruler
Role: The Silent One, The Deus Ex Machina, Hot Super-Aged Evil Chick
Main Uniform Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
PL 11 (184)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+7)
Deception 9 (+12)
Insight 5 (+8)
Intimidation 11 (+12)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Perception 8 (+10)
Persuasion 5 (+8)
Ranged Combat (Blasts) 4 (+10)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Startle

Powers:
"Hair Snare" Snare 12 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Selective) (Flaws: Touch Range) (48) -- [53]
  • AE: Blast 12 (24)
  • AE: "Crazy-Eyed Energy Burst" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (20)
  • AE: "Stunning Burst" Affliction 12 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Cumulative) (24)
  • AE: "Whacky Space Hand" Move Object 10 (Extras: Perception-Ranged) (30)
  • AE: "Wilts Flower Demon With A Touch" Weaken Stamina 12 (Inaccurate -1) (11)
"Sensing the Outside World" Remote Sensing 5 (Vision) [10]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Snare +12 Area (+12 Affliction, DC 22)
Blast +10 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Energy Burst +10 Area (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Wilts Things +10 (+12 Weaken, DC 22)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +14 (DC 24), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +6, Fortitude +8, Will +8

Complications (Early):
Motivation (Power, Providing the Silence)

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 50--25 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 63 / Defenses: 19 (184)

-Mistress 9 was only around for a few episodes in the anime, but it left quite an impression on fans- a smoking-hot babe with Medusa-hair who could wipe the floor with most of the Senshi, or the Witches 5 for that matter. She appeared only verbally before that- speaking to Professor Tomoe through a creepy-ass "speaker effect" system, where her voice was merged with Hotaru's. Mistress 9 was originally a Daimon Egg (manga) or a minion of Pharaoh 90's (anime), which placed herself inside Hotaru Tomoe's body, allowing her to incubate. There, she made Hotaru very sickly thanks to the evil energies within her, but also caused her to create great destruction- she badly injured a schoolmate, and killed her own beloved goldfish- and remembered doing neither of these things.

-Requiring Pure Hearts to thrive, she was unable to grow because the Witches 5 kept failing. Ultimately, Kaolinite, who hated Hotaru and loved the Professor, was able to sacrifice Chibi-Usa's ultra-Pure Heart to bring forth Mistress 9. She, of course, executed Kaolinite immediately upon awakening, which was unremarked upon by pretty much everyone ("Kaolinite's role is finished")- it's kind of too bad, because you can CLEARLY see why she'd do this, since Kaolinite had been verbally abusing Hotaru for years. But the plot moves so quickly that no dwelling is done.

-And OF COURSE the show would again use the "Young Girls GOOD; Older Women EVIL" thing again- my best friend's mom noticed this in the show way, way back in the mid-90s, as Queen Beryl was noticeably older than the teen heroines, and here both Chibi-Usa and Hotaru gain Super-Evil Adult Forms. A very "Magical Girl" anime thing, especially in Japanese society, which fetishizes youth MUCH more than even we in the West are accustomed to.

-Mistress 9 showed a handful of powers, easily defeating Sailors Uranus & Neptune once Sailor Moon rescued her from their attacks (not wanting to see Hotaru die). The villain aimed for sympathy, feigning illness and saying she NEEDED the Holy Grail to live- Usagi was fooled, and actually GAVE HER the thing. This was the final step towards The Silence, and seemingly doomed everything, as the Mistress brought Pharaoh 90 into our world. She then taunted the heroes, exclaiming that "Hotaru died just now", saying she'd finally replaced the little girl all our heroes liked. This shattered Sailor Moon, who BEGGED Hotaru to return, and when the Professor himself recovered and joined the fight, we saw the truth: Hotaru was still fighting. Mistress 9 gagged, cackled and moaned, screaming things like "Perish!!! PERISH!!!", before the anime equivalent of the Care Bear Stare overwhelmed her- the black star on her forehead cracked, revealing the symbol of Saturn (that "h" thing)- Mistress 9 died screaming, being literally erased and replaced with Sailor Saturn, who flew into Pharaoh 90 and killed it.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

What's interesting is that there's a Trope, the Super-Powered Evil side, which gets completely inverted here -- because while Mistress 9 is quite powerful, Sailor Saturn is terrifyingly powerful, and practically a saint.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Davies wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 4:35 am What's interesting is that there's a Trope, the Super-Powered Evil side, which gets completely inverted here -- because while Mistress 9 is quite powerful, Sailor Saturn is terrifyingly powerful, and practically a saint.
The Japanese take the “Incorruptible Pure Pureness” trope extremely seriously too. The more pure, the more powerful; youth, fragility, and femininity are all seen as incredibly pure... Put them altogether in one person, add a heaping dose of Self-Sacrifice for the Greater Good, and presto.

I’m assuming this all has deep roots in Shinto religion (esp. given the frequency of shrine maidens for this archetype) but there’s definitely some fun-house-mirror Catholic symbolism in the mix too.