Jab’s Builds! (Shingen! Leather & Lace! The Lunatic Legion!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
sirjolt

Re: Jab’s Builds (Jacks! Paul Phoenix! Marshall Law! Eddy Gordo!)

Post by sirjolt »

I don't remember which one, but Tiger Jackson did have his own ending in one of the games. His "ending" consisted of him coming and and dancing in front of a cheering crowd at some fair or amusement park. He's the only version of the character that I would ever play. I found Eddy to be boring and while "Brazilian hottie" works for what it is, I found Tiger to be more visually entertaining to play.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Yeah, Tiger was essentially just a bonus "third costume" for Eddy, despite technically being a character.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Here's a great series of "Martial Arts Frauds" videos, detailing just how easy it is for martial artists to claim things (generally to earn money for training videos and books), and the industry based around supporting this humbuggery (Black Belt Magazine being a major offender in not checking their sources and printing these claims matter-of-factly so they can sell magazines): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd1EvbY ... k4h4mvxvrM

It starts with Bart Vale, who used a series of WORKED MATCHES in Japan (Fujiwara-Gumi was billed as "real fights", but was clearly the pro wrestling equivalent if you watch today, having seen UFC and modern MMA) to promote himself as a "legit fighter" in the States, using his knockout of Ken Shamrock (who later became a HUGE MMA star) to justify his claims. Vale, unusually for the type, may have exaggerated his credentials, but at least had the courage to step into the ring for real, where he pretty much lost to all of his good competition but didn't necessarily COMPLETELY humiliate yourself (being a giant of a man with legit training prevented most embarrassing losses).

It's funny how much the MMA explosion has kind of poked a hole in so many theories and preconceived notions of martial arts in the real world, though. Because once you see real fights, it becomes much easier to pick out the fake ones.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

sirjolt wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:08 pm I don't remember which one, but Tiger Jackson did have his own ending in one of the games. His "ending" consisted of him coming and and dancing in front of a cheering crowd at some fair or amusement park. He's the only version of the character that I would ever play. I found Eddy to be boring and while "Brazilian hottie" works for what it is, I found Tiger to be more visually entertaining to play.
Haha, yeah, I didn't count the dancing one as a "real ending" :).
Jabroniville

NANCY

Post by Jabroniville »

NANCY MI847J
Role:
Russian Robot, Powerhouse
First Appearance: Tekken 6
Total Appearances: Tekken 6 Only
PL 9 (92)
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE --

Skills:
Perception 6 (+6)

Advantages:
Chokehold, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Prone Fighting

Powers:
"Killer Robot"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 5 [5]

Growth 6 (Str & Toughness +6, +6 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -3 Dodge/Parry, -6 Stealth) -- (21 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [13]
"Lasers" Blast 8 (Feats: Accurate 3) [19]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Lasers +6 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +11, Fortitude --, Will --

Complications:
Motivation (Destruction)- NANCY is built only to destroy.

Total: Abilities: 2 / Skills: 6--3 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 67 / Defenses: 12 (92)

-NANCY is a "Sub-Boss" in the Arcade Mode of Tekken 6- a gigantic robot that is almost more of an obstacle than a fighter- it shoots lasers at you, and if it breaks through the glass upon which you are standing, you will lose. It's a lumbering monstrosity with a very awkward gait and sudden, piercing attacks- strong, but inaccurate and easy to hit. It is actually playable, however, via a cheat code. It's PL 8 defensively, and only PL 8.5 offensively, but with +8 Damage and +11 Toughness, it's a VERY tough adversary for the human-level folks of the Tekken universe.
KorokoMystia

Re: NANCY

Post by KorokoMystia »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:52 pm Image

NANCY MI847J
NANCY really is more of a bonus round than a proper fighter, but it (she?) sure makes for a unique (and very, very annoying) opponent Like, how often in Fighting Games, especially ones like Tekken, do you have a GIANT FRIGGIN' ROBOT as a boss? The stage even has glass floors that you can fall through!

NANCY is also playable legitimately in a stage in Tekken 6's Scenario Campaign, as shown in this video. It also has Gatling Guns and can fire off its fists as a classic "Rocket Punch", as most giant robots should, but those moves can probably be folded in as Alternate Effects. (It also has some other stuff like missiles, I think?)
Jabroniville

Baek Doo San

Post by Jabroniville »

BAEK DOO SAN
Role:
Unsung Character, Taekwondo Guy
First Appearance: Tekken 2
Total Appearances: Tekken 2, Tekken 5-6, Tekken Tag Tournament 1-2
PL 8 (92)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+13)
Athletics 8 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+13)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 6 (+6)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 2 (+5)
Persuasion 1 (+3)

Advantages:
Chokehold, Fast Grab, Grab Finesse, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Prone Fighting

Powers:
"Can Still Throw Big Guys" Power-Lifting 1 (400 lbs.) [1]
"Special Moves" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Special Moves +11 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +2, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Hwoarang)- Baek takes a strict approach to training his best student, being disappointed in his lawless nature and street-fighting, but defends him above all else. He joins a few tournaments in order to chart the boy's progress.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 2 / Defenses: 11 (92)

-Baek Doo San (pronounced like "Bayku-DOHsan" in Japanese, though the name is Korean, and surname-first) is a bit of a forgotten character in the Tekken mythos, but led to a much more popular character in Howarang, the rival to the game's top name (Jin Kazama). He appears in Tekken 2 as a somewhat nondescript guy in TKD gear and a ponytail- I actually really liked him, as he fit that kind of "Generic Fighter" look that I appreciated in Lee Chaolan as well. I got pretty good with him, too. He apparently accidentally killed his own father and went on a rampage, wrecking many dojos at the orders of a man who was blackmailing him over this fact- including Marshall Law's, which is why he's Marshall's Sub-Boss in his debut. He is named for both a mountain that separates North Korea from China, and a fictional TKD master who lived in Japan. Curiously, arcade operators were allowed to use either Baek or Jun as the "Starter Characters" in the Tekken Arcade Unit- in the PlayStation home release, Jun is the default Starter.

-Thought killed by Ogre (alongside the original King and Jun Kazama), the character misses two straight Tekken games in favor of his student Hwoarang before reappearing in Tekken 5 as a stern, serious man who's accepted his father's death and has forgiven himself for it. His disappearance was explained as him being in a coma for a year following the attack. His return was well-received, but he died heroically in his Tekken 6 ending, saving Hwoarang's life.

-Making irregular appearances in the series, and dying in the sixth, Baek is a notch below the other fighters (he plays a bit more clunky than Hwoarang, who is much younger and faster), taking the "ST 2" Template and lowering the Agility & Fighting by a notch. His wisdom is a bit more advanced however, as he's an experienced warrior.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Eric Jacobus as Baek

Move notes:
Breakdown - After spending a few days on Baek's ultra-complex kicking combinations and releasing this video, Katsuhiro Harada tweeted this: "After taking on the challenge of copying Tekken character, Eric takes on Baek. Copying the hand-crafted animation of Baek's moves is very difficult." Turns out Baek was mostly animation, less mocap. Regardless, I'm less satisfied with this video than the others, and it was done when I was less flexible and didn't have equal power in my legs. Also, his Hunting Hawk shares a name with Hwoarang's triple aerial kick, but adds yet another spin. It is physically impossible without assistance, though I'm happy to be proven wrong.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Christie Monteiro

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:41 am Image

Good Freaking LORD!

CHRISTIE MONTEIRO
Role:
Legendary Spammer, The Ultimate Miss Fanservice (possibly ever)
First Appearance: Tekken 4
Total Appearances: Tekken 4-6, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Street Fighter X Tekken
What adds an extra layer to the whole thing is that she practices Capoeria, which involves a lot of bouncing, bobbing, weaving, flipping and jumping. That top of hers would last less than a second before it failed at its job. It's like she was designed for a hypothetical Dead or Alive crossover. They would have had a field day with that fighting style and those jiggle physics.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: NANCY

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:52 pm Image

NANCY MI847J
Role:
Russian Robot, Powerhouse
Total Appearances: Tekken 6 Only
If I'm not mistake, Nancy or something very like it was in the Ryu/Ken vs Kazuya/Nina cinematic of Tekken X Street Fighter.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Miguel

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:44 am Image

MIGUEL CABALLERO ROJO
Role:
Martial Artist
Total Appearances: Tekken 6-7, Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Visually he reminds me of the representative of Spain from the Jean Claud Van Damme film "The Quest": 1 , 2. It's kind of funny with how Bloodsport and The Quest were basically Street Fighter/Tekken films, yet when Van Damme actually played in a Street Fighter film, there wasn't an actual tournament in said movie.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Oh yeah, THAT guy! I remember that movie. A lot of fun. Basically a Street Fighter knockoff with a ton of weird stereotypes and crazy styles. I wish UFC was like that still. I miss Hackney/Yarborough freak fights.
FuzzyBoots

Re: Christie Monteiro

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Ares wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:21 am What adds an extra layer to the whole thing is that she practices Capoeria, which involves a lot of bouncing, bobbing, weaving, flipping and jumping. That top of hers would last less than a second before it failed at its job. It's like she was designed for a hypothetical Dead or Alive crossover. They would have had a field day with that fighting style and those jiggle physics.
Agreed. That top looks more like something you'd see in Carnivale.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Ares wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:36 am Visually he reminds me of the representative of Spain from the Jean Claud Van Damme film "The Quest": 1 , 2. It's kind of funny with how Bloodsport and The Quest were basically Street Fighter/Tekken films, yet when Van Damme actually played in a Street Fighter film, there wasn't an actual tournament in said movie.
It could be that this has since been disproven, but IIRC, Mortal Kombat was supposed to be Bloodsport: the Video Game, which is part of why Johnny Cage sports the split punch.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

SO glad these are getting lots of comments, lol. Like I said, I was seriously concerned at posting three weeks of builds that are all basically "Spry Martial Artist" in M&M terms.

Fun Fact: I didn't actually have a Tiger Jackson build until I got home last night. I was all ready to post him after Eddy & Christie, went to copy & paste the text into my email so I could have easy access to it... and realized that a "find" couldn't locate a build for him in my Word file! I was like "didn't I do a build of him?" And researching him, I kind of realized that I hadn't actually written anything down as I'd planned to. So I had to scramble and get a build ready for today!
FuzzyBoots wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:32 am
Ares wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:36 am Visually he reminds me of the representative of Spain from the Jean Claud Van Damme film "The Quest": 1 , 2. It's kind of funny with how Bloodsport and The Quest were basically Street Fighter/Tekken films, yet when Van Damme actually played in a Street Fighter film, there wasn't an actual tournament in said movie.
It could be that this has since been disproven, but IIRC, Mortal Kombat was supposed to be Bloodsport: the Video Game, which is part of why Johnny Cage sports the split punch.
I believe that Boon & Tobias were planning on using their technology for a Jean-Claude Van Damme video game, but the deal fell through in the early phases.

Ed Boon confirms it: https://www.gameinformer.com/b/features ... -2016.aspx
Reiner: So when you guys were getting Mortal Kombat started and you were doing your tests of the characters, were you digitizing yourselves in the game? Or did you bring in actors from day one?

Boon: In the very beginning, we wanted it to be a game starring Jean-Claude Van Damme and it was supposed to be… I think Bloodsport was a pretty recent release that he had. Bloodsport and Enter the Dragon and all these ensemble things where everybody kind of collects to fight in some kind of a tournament was the kind of theme that we knew we wanted to do that would allow us to have big variety of characters. So we took the movie Bloodsport and we played a videotape and digitized those images and put together like a demo using what we could find.

We made a demo and sent it over to Jean-Claude Van Damme. So we had put together this tape and this demo and kind of showed mocked-up graphics of what we would envision it to look like and then they contacted our guy who talks with the licenses and stuff and they said, “Sorry he’s already signed a deal with Sega” or somebody like that. Which was weird because we never saw that game. I’m still waiting for that game to come out 25 years later.

So we said, “Okay, well, let’s do our own characters.” John Tobias, at the time he was like, “Oh I know a bunch of martial artists that I went to high school with. Let’s bring some of them in and let’s shoot them.” It wasn’t even blue screen or green screen at the time. We just shot them in front of a wall and manually ripped away the edges frame by frame. And we did that super fast. We got a demo of the game running. God, it must have been… just a few weeks. Maybe in a month we got something running.