Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
MacynSnow

Re: Jab's Builds! (Orga! MUTOs! Gamera! Pacific Rim! Gipsy Danger!)

Post by MacynSnow »

The studio that backed the Pacific Rim movies did the SMART thing and played to what made Movies like Godzilla and Gamera Memorable:Great big Kaiju fights with a decent "Human Element" Sub-story,in this case relating right back to the monsters.Them they hedged their bets by selecting a cast that could not only play off of each other well(just watch the interactions between Elba and Kikuchi to get what i'm saying),but deliver a very belivable performance against Green screens.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Finishing up many of the Godzilla builds, I'm struck again at the reaction it got on here. I still kept it to a "Four-posts-a-day" routine since they're pretty simple builds and the information on, say, Baragon hasn't changed since 2011 when I last posted him, but people REALLY commented a lot around these guys.

It's funny, because I was hesitant on these A LOT, because I'd already built them ages ago, and it's a very "same-y" set I wasn't sure about, as far as popularity went. Instead I had so many hardcore fans on here I was getting 2-3 "Mr. Actually"-style Corrective Courtney posts a day :P. I normally do my research and have an adequate knowledge base upon which to post these things, but the giant size of the Wiki pages and my own misremembering of things kept resulting in errors that people couldn't let go... HALLOWEEN JACK!!!

Not bad for the earliest "non-reposted" set of builds that were still stuck on the original Atomic Think Tank- I was posting stuff from way later, just because I was so "bleh" about the idea and the potential interest of it!
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I’m just surprised none of us yet went for the obvious “Today, we are canceling the Thorpocalypse!” reference.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:25 am I’m just surprised none of us yet went for the obvious “Today, we are canceling the Thorpocalypse!” reference.
That would just be insulting Mr.Elba,and he WAY to scary to do that to... :shock:
Jabroniville

Kaiju (Pacific Rim)

Post by Jabroniville »

CATEORY III-V KAIJU
Role:
Background Monsters
Size: 70 meters (250 feet)
PL 14 (170)
STRENGTH
20 STAMINA 18 AGILITY -2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+5)
Intimidation 13 (+11, +21 Size)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Fearless, Improved Initiative, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Startle

Powers:
"Kaiju-Sized"
Growth 20 (Str & Sta +20, +20 Mass, +10 Intimidation, -10 Dodge/Parry, +2 Speed, -20 Stealth) -- (250 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [41]
Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 29) [31]

"Aquatic Creatures"
Swimming 7 [7]
Immunity 3 (Drowning, Pressure, Cold) [3]
Speed +2 (30 mph) [2]

"Giant-Size Smash" Damage 14 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) [42]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+20 Damage, DC 35)
Area Attacks +14 Area (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +20 (+15 Impervious), Fortitude +18, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Kaiju cannot speak, nor use their claws to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: -4 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 128 / Defenses: 30 (170)

-The various Kaiju of Pacific Rim are pretty same-y, though some have extra powers. For the most part, a Jaeger can break through their shit defenses, because most are near-suicidal in All-Out Attacking, valuing their own lives little.

KNIFEHEAD- Category III- PL 14 (172): Penetrating on Strength-Damage +20, Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate) [2]
-The one that showed up on all the toys & figures I saw, Knifehead was the one that killed Raleigh's brother, and indicated some learning and tactical effects of the Kaiju.

RAIJU- Category IV- PL 14 (175): AGI +1, Improved Initiative, Speed +2 [5]
-Raiju is fast, but easily ripped in half by Gipsy Danger's Chain Sword.

LEATHERBACK- Category IV- PL 14 (259): "EMP" Affliction 18 (Tech Skill of Creator; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Area- 500ft. Burst +5, Limited to Machines) [89]
-Leatherback's EMP cannot affect the protected Jaegers, but it manages to destroy Cherno Alpha by crushing its command pod beneath the waves. Raleigh, remembering Knifehead's "playing possum" trick that killed his brother, makes sure the creature's dead by firing more rounds into its beaten body.

OTACHI- Category IV- PL 14 (285): INT +1, AWA +1, Flight 6 (Winged), Improved Grab, "Sharp Tail" Extra Limb & Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate), "Acid Spit" Blast 20 (Ranged 2) Linked to Weaken Toughness 20 (Affects Objects, Ranged) [115]
-Otachi easily defeats Crimson Typhoon, but is cut in half by Gipsy Danger while attempting to fly into the atmosphere carrying it.

SCUNNER- Category IV- PL 14 (170):
-Scunner aids Slattern, but is blown up by a suicide attack from Striker Eureka

SLATTERN- Category V- PL 15 (179): ST +2, STA +2, Multiattack on Strength-Damage 24 [9]
-An enormous Category V, Slattern has a hammerhead, triple-tails, and is really tough. Concentrated effort from Gipsy Danger, and a suicide attack from Striker Eureka, manages to cripple it, and letting out some nuclear exhaust wipes out its innards.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

huh- one of the back-issues I got recently was a reprint of the issue where The Wasp marries Yellowjacket. Some interesting stuff:

* This being the late 1960s, the heroes are still in the "they all know each other casually, but only meet at weddings" phase. But it's funny to think that the X-Men were once so small that there were ONLY FIVE OF THEM showing up at a wedding. Daredevil's here, too. And there's few enough other superheroes that Nick Fury & Dum Dum Dugan are there in the background to fill space.

* The CIRCUS OF CRIME of all people are the villains, with their secret plant to beat up the caterers, take their places... and then just bum-rush the Avengers and kill them. Yes, the CIRCUS OF CRIME have concocted a plan that puts them into a physical confrontation with the most powerful superheroes on Earth. At a wedding which also features a dozen OTHER superheroes.

* Hawkeye (who of course is being a giant argumentative ass all day) actually loses hilariously quickly to THE GAMBONNOS and the Human Cannonball, getting tied up.

* The Circus is otherwise hilariously outclassed, though not as badly as you'd think. The Gambonnos actually deal with the Black Panther remarkably well, taking a few pages to lose. Keep in mind 20 years later, they'd be dealt with in a single panel, never mind how comics are written TODAY, with the villains being beaten in the background.

* The whole "Yellowjacket brags about killing Hank Pym" story is dealt with, with the heroes going "well we can't find a body, so we don't know WHAT he's talking about, but we trust Jan's judgment", and thankfully it turns out that he IS Pym... just under amnesia. The Avengers just kind of roll with it, because it's 1968. Like "oh yeah, Jan, you just get married to this unstable, schizophrenic wildman who brags about killing one of our teammates". At least it's over with quickly. Reading the retrospectives of this era, I'd always though they dragged that one out.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:36 am huh- one of the back-issues I got recently was a reprint of the issue where The Wasp marries Yellowjacket. Some interesting stuff:

* This being the late 1960s, the heroes are still in the "they all know each other casually, but only meet at weddings" phase. But it's funny to think that the X-Men were once so small that there were ONLY FIVE OF THEM showing up at a wedding. Daredevil's here, too. And there's few enough other superheroes that Nick Fury & Dum Dum Dugan are there in the background to fill space.

* The CIRCUS OF CRIME of all people are the villains, with their secret plant to beat up the caterers, take their places... and then just bum-rush the Avengers and kill them. Yes, the CIRCUS OF CRIME have concocted a plan that puts them into a physical confrontation with the most powerful superheroes on Earth. At a wedding which also features a dozen OTHER superheroes.

* Hawkeye (who of course is being a giant argumentative ass all day) actually loses hilariously quickly to THE GAMBONNOS and the Human Cannonball, getting tied up.

* The Circus is otherwise hilariously outclassed, though not as badly as you'd think. The Gambonnos actually deal with the Black Panther remarkably well, taking a few pages to lose. Keep in mind 20 years later, they'd be dealt with in a single panel, never mind how comics are written TODAY, with the villains being beaten in the background.

* The whole "Yellowjacket brags about killing Hank Pym" story is dealt with, with the heroes going "well we can't find a body, so we don't know WHAT he's talking about, but we trust Jan's judgment", and thankfully it turns out that he IS Pym... just under amnesia. The Avengers just kind of roll with it, because it's 1968. Like "oh yeah, Jan, you just get married to this unstable, schizophrenic wildman who brags about killing one of our teammates". At least it's over with quickly. Reading the retrospectives of this era, I'd always though they dragged that one out.
An old issue of Wizard Magazine had a Psychologist(who was also a comics nerd,which young me thought was 'Rad') analyze the Major hero/villians at the time,with PYM being one of them.They said that he originally had a case of Disasociative Personality due largely to guilt over Ultron,but the fact that it not only went untreated but the Leadership of the Avengers kept putting him in high stress situations(which they took small issue with as the Avengers were Government Funded at the time,so psych evaluation's should've been mandatory) lead to a complete Psychotic break.It's a REALLY facinating issue,i highly recommend you finding it....
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:36 am * The whole "Yellowjacket brags about killing Hank Pym" story is dealt with, with the heroes going "well we can't find a body, so we don't know WHAT he's talking about, but we trust Jan's judgment", and thankfully it turns out that he IS Pym... just under amnesia. The Avengers just kind of roll with it, because it's 1968. Like "oh yeah, Jan, you just get married to this unstable, schizophrenic wildman who brags about killing one of our teammates". At least it's over with quickly. Reading the retrospectives of this era, I'd always though they dragged that one out.
Really the way I read this is "Jan takes advantage of Hank's mental illness to get him to marry her." Is anyone surprised the marriage was rocky? He literally thought he was someone else when he got married.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Shock

Post by Shock »

I'm with HalloweenJack and give Pacific Rim a "meh" at best. I thought the characters were dull and received way too much focus. The fights weren't good enough to overcome that. Also, the technobabble was painfully bad and that really grated on me for some reason.
HalloweenJack

Re: Jab's Builds! (Zilla! Baragon! Orga! MUTOs! Gamera!)

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:17 am
HalloweenJack wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:51 pm *walks in and sits down, facing you, THE VIEWER*

I'd like to talk about Gamera for a minute. I'm a big Gamera fan. I own all the movies with the exception of Gamera the Brave, which I intend to rectify as soon as I can.

But Gamera.....Gamera had a place in my life at an early age. A place that led to PAIN.
LOL- that's quite the story there, HJ. But I can relate to it- kids are obsessive creatures, and we can torture ourselves for YEARS over an inability to gain access to certain things. I remember my various obsessions as a kid quite well, and how I'd freak if something I wanted to record didn't go through.

Sadly, Canada didn't get an equivalent of the Sci-Fi Channel or anything that aired monster movies until I was a teen- TBS didn't get here until the mid-90s sometime, and I don't think they were airing Godzilla movies then, either. All of my Godzilla experience came from renting at the local video stores (First Choice & Hollywood Videos), and then I saw a couple on the Space Channel. But I've still never seen one of the Gigan pictures- I'm not even certain I ever saw Destroy All Monsters, given how I don't recognize Gorosaurus, nor the death of Ghidorah.
yeah, we get obsessed. Transformers the movie was another I never saw until college

and yeah TBS had mostly stopped airing Godzilla movies by the mid 90s, but TNT was still airing them. by 96 or so though, you'd mainly catch them on the Sci-Fi Channel....though the Turner networks would still occasionally air stuff like The Last Dinosaur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbQI7KqFTPo

and where's Dai Majinn damn it?! :D

j/k.......maybe one day though
Last edited by HalloweenJack on Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:18 am Finishing up many of the Godzilla builds, I'm struck again at the reaction it got on here. I still kept it to a "Four-posts-a-day" routine since they're pretty simple builds and the information on, say, Baragon hasn't changed since 2011 when I last posted him, but people REALLY commented a lot around these guys.

It's funny, because I was hesitant on these A LOT, because I'd already built them ages ago, and it's a very "same-y" set I wasn't sure about, as far as popularity went. Instead I had so many hardcore fans on here I was getting 2-3 "Mr. Actually"-style Corrective Courtney posts a day :P. I normally do my research and have an adequate knowledge base upon which to post these things, but the giant size of the Wiki pages and my own misremembering of things kept resulting in errors that people couldn't let go... HALLOWEEN JACK!!!

Not bad for the earliest "non-reposted" set of builds that were still stuck on the original Atomic Think Tank- I was posting stuff from way later, just because I was so "bleh" about the idea and the potential interest of it!

well actually.....
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I was visiting my grandparents at their RV in northern Michigan for a week of summer vacation. No tv, lots of rain, and endless games of war, rummy, and euchre... On the sixth day, a Saturday, I managed to end up at the campground’s laundromat slash general store slash rec room slash main office. Only to discover they had a tv!

I caught the last ten minutes of Pryde of the X-Men.

None of my friends believed me when I told them about it. None. It haunted my memories like a fever dream.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:27 pm I was visiting my grandparents at their RV in northern Michigan for a week of summer vacation. No tv, lots of rain, and endless games of war, rummy, and euchre... On the sixth day, a Saturday, I managed to end up at the campground’s laundromat slash general store slash rec room slash main office. Only to discover they had a tv!

I caught the last ten minutes of Pryde of the X-Men.

None of my friends believed me when I told them about it. None. It haunted my memories like a fever dream.
i get that, When we lived in Texas I saw a copy of it at a store and was like "whaaaaaat?", having never even heard of it, but seemed like a lot of kids there in Texas were like "oh yeah. where Wolverine's Australian"
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

An Australian Wolverine? That will never work.

A few kids were convinced I’d seen the arcade game and somehow confused it for a cartoon. Others thought maybe I’d seen a toy commercial or a commercial for the comic books (some of the older kids remembered the G.I Joe comic book commercials). But the commercial idea made no sense because no one else had ever seen it and it never got rebroadcast...

We were all eight or nine, none of us knew what a “pilot” was, how “syndication” worked, or that it was possible for a show to “fail.” If something was on tv, then it was on tv.

Two years later, I found a VHS copy at the local comic shop. I felt so vindicated.
Jabroniville

Space Giants

Post by Jabroniville »

In the grand tradition of Gojira/Godzilla and his rubber-suited monster pals, P-Productions unveiled The Space Giants, a weekly sci-fi action series about a boy, a reporter, a scientist, and a horde of gargantuan robots and monsters. The show, known as Ambassador Magma in its native land, was dubbed into English and released stateside in the mid-1960’s.

At the start of the first episode, a shady character arrived on earth via a comet, landing in Tokyo. He called reporter Tom Mura to arrange a meeting, but Mura’s son Miko answered the phone instead. The reporter thought the whole thing was a prank, but the next morning, the entire Mura household was transported to a strange jungle, where they first witnessed the mighty power of Rodak, an outer space creature bent on world domination. Miko snapped a picture of Rodak, which brought the boy to the attention of a giant robot named Goldar, the Space Avenger.

Goldar brought both boy and picture to Mount Olympian, the volcano home of Goldar, wife Silvar, and their creator, the outer space scientist Mathusem. The two robots were smitten with the young lad, and to complete their metallic family, they asked Mathusem to create a robo-child for them. The result was Gam, a robotic near-duplicate of Miko (although the real Miko didn’t have silver antennae). All three robots had the power to transform into sleek rocket jets, the better to fly into battle. Mathusem also gave Miko a whistle which he could use to summon the robotic protectors—one whistle for Gam, two for Silvar, three for Goldar.

Meanwhile, Rodak had unleashed upon the world the deadly force of Molesaurus, a subterranean monster. Goldar and family rocketed into action, battling the first of many gargantuan creatures. Rodak kept launching wave after wave of baddies, including the winged Birdaurus, the shapeshifting Lugo Men (who turned into a greenish goo when they were killed), the metallic Noronda, giant beetle Nardo, mini monster Lodi, and Kono, “The Mightiest Creature of All” (really Rodak in an alternate form). Goldar, ever the noble robot, always tried to talk the monsters out of fighting, but when that failed (and thankfully, it always did), titans collided in elaborate battle scenes.

The Space Giants was a young sci-fi fan’s dream come true, mixing the monster mayhem of the Godzilla movies with the “giant robot” motif of Ultraman, Johnny Sokko and many others. The show helped shape a generation of tech-heads, but sadly, The Space Giants disappeared completely from U.S. airwaves in the decades since its original run.

AMBASSADOR MAGMA:
-Osamu Tezuka, the famous creator of Astro Boy, and the Godfather of Manga himself, created this series way back in 1965. Though it's largely not famous at all (I would never have heard of it if not for our own Goldar being such a big fan of it), it led to a TV series the following year, which was the first Tokukatsu... Tokuzatsu... Tokukaomon... "Guy In Suit" Show, beating Ultraman to air by a matter of months. The show was brought to the U.S. as Space Giants in the 1970s, with the main character being renamed Goldar. Since our own Goldar knows all about this show, plus Defenders comics of that exact era, I'm gonna guess he was a kid back then :).

The plot is simple: the alien Gao is trying to conquer Earth, threatening the Murakami family, but the golden giant Magma appears to defend them, having been created by the wizard "Earth". Magma and his wife Mol are soon given a child named Gam, cloned from the Murakami boy. Gao sends various Kaiju against civilization, leading to Magma and his family defending them. Story arcs typically run 4 episodes long, as Magma often has to abandon the fight to regather himself or come up with a new plan. This avoids "Monster of the Week". More like... "Monster of the Arc".

In The Space Giants, Magma became "Goldar", Mol "Silvar" (she is a silver giant), and Gao became "Rodak". Earth became "Methusan". It ran for 52 episodes, and was largely unseen until the late '70s, and it became a staple of the TBS Superstation.

The show doesn't have an overly large legacy- I only saw a single hint of it when I was in Japan (Nakano Broadway, a vast collective of Nerd Stores, had one DVD set for an astronomical fee- there were no toys or anything). But it's one of the first Transforming Mecha (kinda) shows, and one of the first Ultraman-type Costumed Warrior shows.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.