Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Davies

Re: King Ghidorah (Heisei)

Post by Davies »

MacynSnow wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:47 am
You know,as much as Ghidorah scares the ever lovin' Beejees out of me(even today,i get chills just hearing the Laughter....), a part of me feels kinda sorry for him.....finding out your to Old to run with the pack anymore is never fun. :P
Wait half a year, and I suspect you won't feel sorry for him anymore.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Batgirl III

Re: Jab's Builds! (Mechagodzilla! Jet Jaguar! KING GHIDORAH!!!)

Post by Batgirl III »

I’ve been told by a lot of Japanese and Korean business contacts over the years that the biggest problem Americans (and I would assume Canadians too) have when speaking their language is how both cultures have a unspoken, unwritten, but very hardwired gender-specific register when speaking. A native Japanese speaking man and a native Japanese speaking woman may say the same words, in the same order, in order to convey the same message... But they will sound totally different. A Japanese-British friend compared it to Received Pronunciation versus Mancunian Accents in just how differently they can sound.

But most Americans learned to speak Japanese from female teachers... so we all tend to speak in a feminine register.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Davies wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:54 am
You know,as much as Ghidorah scares the ever lovin' Beejees out of me(even today,i get chills just hearing the Laughter....), a part of me feels kinda sorry for him.....finding out your to Old to run with the pack anymore is never fun. :P
Or watch the Mothra Trilogy. Yeah, he still loses in the end (he is the villain) but he gives a helluva fight.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:07 am
Davies wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:54 am
Or watch the Mothra Trilogy. Yeah, he still loses in the end (he is the villain) but he gives a helluva fight.
But he was still beat in that trilogy by just one Kaiju.True,it was my two Wifus' Giant pet Moth,but the point still remains as he was just starting to show his "age" when compared to the others....
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:06 am I’ve been told by a lot of Japanese and Korean business contacts over the years that the biggest problem Americans (and I would assume Canadians too) have when speaking their language is how both cultures have a unspoken, unwritten, but very hardwired gender-specific register when speaking. A native Japanese speaking man and a native Japanese speaking woman may say the same words, in the same order, in order to convey the same message... But they will sound totally different. A Japanese-British friend compared it to Received Pronunciation versus Mancunian Accents in just how differently they can sound.

But most Americans learned to speak Japanese from female teachers... so we all tend to speak in a feminine register.
I did notice that women often have a very "childish" register to their voice, being expected to hold vowels for a very long period of time. "Arigato goZAIMAAAAAAAAAAAAAASS..." is a common one.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Also. Men. Tend. To. Speak. In. Staccato. Rhythm.

I know Japanese doesn’t have cases the way the Latin alphabet does, but I swear you can hear them speaking with CAPSLOCK turned on. Male Japanese is almost guttural, lots of from the diaphragm speaking; Female Japanese is very lilting and kind of nasal.

I’ve got no idea if this is a real linguistic trend, or just my anecdotal ramblings... But, it seems like a real phenomenonto me. (Which is kinda the definition of anecdotal...)
Jabroniville

Mecha-King Ghidorah

Post by Jabroniville »

MECHA-KING GHIDORAH (aka Kingu Gidora, Ghidrah- Heisei Era)
Created By:
Eiji Tsuburaya
First Appearance: "Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah" (1991)
Role: The Big Bad, Evil Monster, Super-Dragon
Size: 150 meters (492 feet)
PL 16 (303)
STRENGTH
22 STAMINA 18 AGILITY -2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Intimidation 16 (+14, +25 Size)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Benefit (Ambidextrous), Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fascinate (Intimidation), Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Critical (Gravity Beam) 2, Improved Initiative, Improved Hold, Fast Grab, Last Stand, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 9, Startle, Takedown 2, Withstand Damage (Trade Defenses For Toughness)

Powers:
"Kaiju-Sized"
Growth 22 (Str & Sta +22, +22 Mass, +11 Intimidation, -11 Dodge/Parry, +2 Speed, -22 Stealth) -- (380 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [45]
Protection 5 (Extras: Impervious 31) [36]

"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent) [3]

"Space Creature"
Immunity 11 (Aging, Life Support) [11]
Movement 2 (Space Travel 2) [4]
Flight 9 (1,000 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [9]
Speed +2 (30 mph) [2]

"Multiple Heads"
"No Hands, But Three Heads" Extra Limbs 1 [1]
Senses 1 (Radius Sight) [1]

"Combined Gravity Beam" Blast 23 (Feats: Extended Reach 4) (Extras: Multiattack, Penetrating 16, Area- 60ft. +17 Burst +2) (122) -- [131]
  • AE: "Multiple Gravity Beams" Blast 24 (Feats: Extended Reach 4, Split 2) (Extras: Multiattack, Penetrating 16) (94)
  • AE: "Gravity Wide Arc" Damage 17 (Extras: Area- 480ft. Cone +4) (85)
  • AE: "Gravity Line" Damage 17 (Extras: Area- 480ft. Line +5) (102)
  • AE: "Sonic Boom" Blast 14 (Extras: Area- 500ft. Burst +5) (Flaws: Limited to When Flying By) (84)
  • AE: "Wind Storm" Move Object 16 (Extras: Area- 500ft. Cone +2) (Flaws: Touch Range, Limited to Away) (48)
  • AE: "Terrorizing Gale" Damage 17 (Extras: Area- 120ft. Cone +2) (51)
  • AE: "Giant-Size Smash" Damage 17 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (51)
  • AE: "Explosive Blast" Blast 16 (Feats: Range 4) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (68)
  • AE: "Capture Cables" Snare 23 (Feats: Range 4) (73)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+22 Damage, DC 37)
Gravity Beams +9 (+24 Ranged Damage, DC 39)
Combined Beam +9 (+25 Ranged Damage, DC 40)
Area Attacks +17 Area (+17 Damage, DC 32)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +23 (+16 Impervious), Fortitude +20, Will +6

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- King Ghidorah cannot speak, nor use his heads to easily manipulate objects.
Enemy (Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan)
Reputation (Villain)- King Ghidorah is the most-feared monster in the entire galaxy, so much so that it took seven other Kaiju to kill him. Expect his mere appearance to mobilize the entire planet against him.
Motivation (KICKING ASS)- Ghidorah is a tremendous force for destruction, having wiped out the Venusian civilization centuries ago. He either does so of his own volition, or under the direction of various controlling alien masters.

Total: Abilities: -8 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 29 / Powers: 244 / Defenses: 31 (303)

-Mecha-King Ghidorah was just a disappointment to me. I mean, a 150-foot tall GHIDORAH CYBORG? That's just the most awesome concept ever. But he looked goofy, and lost all by himself to a point-blank Atomic Fire shot, and wasn't awesome at all. Heck, they should've just gone all Mechagodzilla on him and made him totally robotic-looking on the outside. Now THAT would have been cool. This "Central head & Chest-Plate" partial-conversion 'borg wasn't sweet enough by half. He's no more powerful than regular Ghidorah (arguably he's only PL 16 like Godzilla himself is), packing a Snare and a Laser Blaster thingie (that's mostly like a Gravity Beam anyways I think).
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:49 am
English just doesn’t have the quite the same phoneme for the ジ character, which is why “shi” “ji” and “zi” are all both kinda right and kinda not right.
Reminds me of how I almost missed my stop on the train because I didn't recognize the next station's name: "Tokyo".

I was like "... wait. I thought MY stop was next! What's this Doh-KYOHHHHH station? I... oh shit, wait."

Similarly, anything with an "F" in it sounds a bit different. Names like "Mount Fuji" sound more like "hwoo-ji".

The R/L thing is the most famous thing (it's the constant bane of anyone teaching English in Japan, too), but there's more. Similarly, apparently our accents SUCK over there- one Japanese person told me that Westerners trying to use Japanese words often sound completely wrong.
When we hear foreigners speaking English we can usually tell where they're from because of their accent, I presume it's the same for speakers of all other languages, if I tried to speak Japanese would they know I'm from England/Britain based purely on how I pronounce things.
Last edited by M4C8 on Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:39 am Also. Men. Tend. To. Speak. In. Staccato. Rhythm.

I know Japanese doesn’t have cases the way the Latin alphabet does, but I swear you can hear them speaking with CAPSLOCK turned on. Male Japanese is almost guttural, lots of from the diaphragm speaking; Female Japanese is very lilting and kind of nasal.

I’ve got no idea if this is a real linguistic trend, or just my anecdotal ramblings... But, it seems like a real phenomenonto me. (Which is kinda the definition of anecdotal...)
I've noticed that, they suddenly get loud and their tone makes it sound as if they're angry despite the actual words written in the subtitles not being ones of anger.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Shock

Post by Shock »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:51 am A compilation of all the Ghidorah roars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVtAcLQRUCY

GOD the Showa ones... 1:25 on are just horrifying. It sounds SO weird, inhuman and freaky. Other monsters make such deep, booming roars that this high-pitched bell-ringing is extremely unsettling.
Is it just me or can you actually hear three different chitters, like each head has its own voice?
HalloweenJack

Re: Jab's Builds! (Gigan! Manda! Mechagodzilla! Titanosaurus!)

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:46 am
HalloweenJack wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:57 am
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:12 am
That strikes me as ridiculous Power-Geeking, especially as it's a bottom-tier character doing it. That's worse than Quick Kick wiping out Snake-Eyes. Did Aubrey Sitterson write this?

Bottom tier?

Jet Jaguar broke Gigan's arm then pressed him over head and chucked him into the air.

A good solid shot and I could totally see him doing that to Godzilla, between his strength and dexterity, and besides....comics Jet Jaguar was hinted at not being an earthly creation but an alien robot.

when the aliens controlling the monsters spot him, he's all "oh no....THAT thing....here?!"
I mean "bottom tier" because he's stupid, unpopular, and he never even reappeared :P.

Jet Jaguar is the Dino Bravo of Godzilla characters.

Jet Jaguar sucks.
haters gonna hate
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

as for the Ghidorah builds, I wouldn't put any of them beyond 16.

I like KG as much as the next guy, but Lord he's overhyped.
drkrash

Re: Jab's Builds! (Gigan! Mechagodzilla! Titanosaurus! Jet Jaguar!)

Post by drkrash »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:28 pm
drkrash wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:23 pm Jab, do you have any recollection of the name of your friend's kaiju guide? My son has been looking for one for a couple years and we've never found anything like it (in English, anyway). I assumed this would have been an easy thing to find, but no.
A quick search revealed this, which I'm 90% sure is the book in question. It's been years, though: https://www.amazon.com/Official-Godzill ... B2YGPEQE3X
Thanks for that. Unfortunately, I can't find a copy for under 50 bucks, which isn't worth it. Something to keep an eye out for.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
sirjolt

Post by sirjolt »

When I took Japanese, we often used Japanese CD's for listening comprehension. I found many of the native female speakers to have very soft and breathy voices which made it difficult (for me certainly) to understand as the enunciation to my ears was very hard to pick out.

I've known some Japanese exchange students and they frequently said that most American speakers draw out the syllables too much and over-enunciate most sounds (too much lip movement).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

sirjolt wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:40 pm When I took Japanese, we often used Japanese CD's for listening comprehension. I found many of the native female speakers to have very soft and breathy voices which made it difficult (for me certainly) to understand as the enunciation to my ears was very hard to pick out.

I've known some Japanese exchange students and they frequently said that most American speakers draw out the syllables too much and over-enunciate most sounds (too much lip movement).
The last syllable of most Japanese words tends to be forgotten or "silent-ish". When I stayed there in High School, our host's son, Naomichi, had to tell us to not pronounce his name "NOWMEECH" instead of "Nah-oh-MEE-CHEE".