Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
squirrelly-sama

Re: Jab’s Builds (King Hyperion! Morph! Kim Possible! Ron Stoppable!)

Post by squirrelly-sama »

KorokoMystia wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:32 am
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:22 am
Thorpocalypse wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:33 am Loving the Kim Possible run. My favorite episode is Canp Wannaweep. Really showed what Ron could do when he tried. And Naked Mole Rap is still da jam.
Haha, these builds are getting way more attention than I thought :). I’ve seen so few Kim Possible builds over the year that I didn’t think many people here had ever seen it- my fandom peaked even before I found the Atomic Think Tank.
Weirdly enough I don't think I've ever seen Kim Possible builds in 3rd edition, either, so this is great.
I did a build of her a while back, like a couple months ago when Jab first announced he'd make a KP build because it also made me get to thinking of how to make a KP build. Here's the link.

I'm kinda surprised there's a lack of builds for it, it seemed really popular and it's actiony enough to warrant some decent building plans. It just seems a lot of the people who build a lot for MnM are more into traditional comics than Anime and Western Animation.

Edit: of similar note I had a build of bitchy highschool girl that the Bonnie build reminded me of. I always found it strange how she seemed so secure in her thoughts of superiority of the globe trotting hyper smart and competent and attractive Kim, it was kind of hilarious at times her willful ignorance, I just kinda wish she got slapped down with reality more often where she's forced to face some aspect of the truth rather than just some minor karmic comeuppance like she normally does. Sort of like when Pacifica Northwest learns her ancestors weren't famous.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Part of the issue with Kim Possible on the various incarnations of M&M-related build threads is that the show peaked slightly before the Think Tank did, and ended around the time I started my thread. This means that what builds were made were likely done back in 2005-2007!

And yeah, superheroes are by far the most popular genre on here, given the game. Anime builds are somewhat popular (there was even a 2e expansion specifically for that!), but the genre is problematic for one designed around western Superheroes.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:33 am Loving the Kim Possible run. My favorite episode is Canp Wannaweep. Really showed what Ron could do when he tried. And Naked Mole Rap is still da jam.
That episode is actually the second one ever aired- quite an important one, as it more or less establishes Ron's status quo- the whining, lazy nincompoop who can actually do great things when he tries.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Nocturne! Mimic! King Hyperion! Morph! Kim Possible!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Ken wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:51 am The one think that's curious about Kim is that her hand-to-hand attacks tend to do a fair amount of knockback to mooks, but rarely to the villains. Then again, she rarely engages some of them in combat.

This is probably best handled as a genre thing, though.
I don't recall Kim directly striking as many of her foes compared to mooks (Drakken & DNAmy, for example, were typically handled via scenery or ropes or something), but she knocked Shego around a few times, typically at the end of the fight.
Jabroniville

Monique

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

MONIQUE
Played By:
Raven-Symone
Role: Black Best Friend, The Stock Character
PL 1 (16), PL 2 (16) Defenses
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Retail) 4 (+5)
Insight 2 (+3)

Advantages:
None

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +1 (DC 11), Parry +1 (DC 11), Toughness +0, Fortitude +1, Will +2

Complications:
Relationship (Kim Possible)- Monique and Kim are friends, and each possesses a degree of wisdom that makes them a good, rational match in terms of giving advice.

Total: Abilities: 10 / Skills: 6--3 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 3 (16)

-Monique was the most generic... hell, ONLY generic character on Kim Possible. Occupying the simple role of "Black Best Friend" back when almost every Disney show had a white lead, a minority best friend, and a nerdier white (often Jewish) male as a platonic/but-later-they-hook-up friend. She... didn't get a lot of focus, nor much in the way of characterization, motivation or even skills (beyond working at Club Banana). She was there to talk with a bit of attitude (saying vaguely "black people things" like "Straight-UP!" and what-not), and generally be someone Kim talked to who wasn't Ron- this meant that if she had to talk ABOUT Ron to someone, it was to Monique. More practical than Ron, she tended to be the subject of more personal questions. Monique would generally be someone who got angry at Ron's laziness and inability to go with the herd, but the one time she went on a mission with Kim, it was such a disaster (she was actually frightened... of DOCTOR DRAKKEN) that she went into intensive training to correct it (thankfully, the timeline was reversed, because it took her YEARS to get ready).

-Unusually, she got a different character design between seasons- like a lot of backgrounders, she had dots for eyes at first- her status as a recurring character soon earned her the more expressive "wide cartoon eyes" of everyone else. Another sign of her being a background character- she had no last name, nor any family seen.

-Monique is one of the only cast members to not engage in any heroics, so she has one of the lowest statlines around. Still, she's somewhat practical and rational. I mean, those are RARE QUALITIES in this universe.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
BriarThrone

Re: Jab’s Builds (Morph! Kim Possible! Ron Stoppable! Monkey Fist!)

Post by BriarThrone »

Six episodes in, and I'm impressed by how often Ron, the series butt-monkey, actually contributes to the effort via his skills. He's not (often) succeeding via lucky bumbling, he's not ruining everything to be saved by the hero... he's got a bad attitude, but also some legit skills to contribute.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

I think that Monique should have the Benefit (common sense) advantage.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:20 am
That episode is actually the second one ever aired- quite an important one, as it more or less establishes Ron's status quo- the whining, lazy nincompoop who can actually do great things when he tries.
Interestingly, the fact that this episode aired second illustrates one of the perils of episodic TV. Because the status quo changes so rarely, the networks assume that they can air them in any order without actually checking anything. Ron was the mascot in this episode, but the storyline where he became the mascot wasn't until episode nine. (Which I just finished.)

While the continuity hiccup is mildly irritating, it WAS a good way to establish that Ron is actually competent when put to the test, so I figure it's all good.
Ken

Post by Ken »

BriarThrone wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:44 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:20 am
Interestingly, the fact that this episode aired second illustrates one of the perils of episodic TV. Because the status quo changes so rarely, the networks assume that they can air them in any order without actually checking anything. Ron was the mascot in this episode, but the storyline where he became the mascot wasn't until episode nine. (Which I just finished.)

While the continuity hiccup is mildly irritating, it WAS a good way to establish that Ron is actually competent when put to the test, so I figure it's all good.
Yeah, when they got to the fourth season, again things ran out of order so again we saw things in Kim's possession before we saw Kim get them. I hope the DVD sets correct this.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Mr. Barkin

Post by Jabroniville »

Barkin: "If you do not like your lab partner, you CAN ask for a CHANGE."
*Ron breathes a sigh of relief*
Barkin: "I will of course say NO- it's part of the 'Life in Unfair' theme I am working into all curriculum."

STEVE BARKIN
Played By:
Patrick Warburton
Role: The Only Teacher Seen
PL 3 (37)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Educator) 5 (+6)
Expertise (Military) 2 (+3)
Expertise (Retail) 4 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+4)
Perception 2 (+3)
Stealth 1 (+2)

Advantages:
"Substitute Teacher" Beginner's Luck, Jack-Of-All-Trades

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +1 (DC 11), Parry +3 (DC 13), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +2

Complications:
Disabled (Beard Growth)- Barkin must shave nineteen times a day or grow a thick stubble quickly; and a full beard within hours.
Responsibility (Scholastics)- Barkin takes his job as an educator seriously. He also teaches the Pixie Scouts, running them like Army Rangers.
Hatred (Mutants)- Barkin finds genetic mutation to be both sick and wrong. Unfortunately for him, he has been mutated twice, turning into a Naked Mole-Man by DNAmy, and growing gills on account of exposure to Gill's toxic waste.
Rivalry (Ron Stoppable)- Barkin has an unusual amount of anmity towards Ron Stoppable- Ron believes that this stems from an incident in the 9th Grade in which Ron looked at him funny. While this is typical of Ron's somewhat delusional, paranoid behavior, Barkin later confesses that this is true.

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 2 (37)

-One of the continuous problems "Teen Shows" (and "Teen Comics" as well) have is the fact that teaching staffs are ENORMOUS in real life, but casts need to be small in fiction, for many reasons- too many actors is expensive, too many characters is confusing for audiences, and too many characters also means there's too little focus on certain people. Kids Shows can get away with this, as there's typically one teacher per class (Hey Arnold! and Recess just have one teacher and one principal), but for TEENS... you kind of need a lot of them, or it doesn't make sense. Archie Comics actually has a very substantial supporting cast at Riverdale High, but generally will always default to Miss Grundy (who even directs the school plays, despite their being an "official" teacher for that role- Miss Hammly) unless it's science or sports.

-So Kim Possible has a brilliant workaround- since it's a comedy, it can just throw in Mr. Barkin as a Substitute Teacher, and invent a humorous calamity for every single teacher who missed the class. As such, he is basically the ONLY teacher we ever see at Middleton High- going on field trips, teaching gym, coaching football, and more. It's a great running gag. And made all the better because Barkin is HILARIOUS.

-Barkin is, essentially, a sneering, grumpy, barrel-chested manly-man who acts as humorless as humanly possible... which makes it all the better when he's frequently humiliated. Bellowing "That is SICK... and WRONG!" in a way that only Patrick Warburton can deliver, he produces a lot of laughs on the show. He frequently rubs the kids the wrong way- he frequently both disregards Ron as a man ("The ideal man is big and/or strong- you are NEITHER"), insults his poor scholastic career, or otherwise gets grouchy at his antics. He even gets mad at Kim's frequent missions interfering with school work.

-Though it's funny, because his "tough but fair" approach is actually even-handed. He defers to Kim when super-villains attack the school, completely without shame, and even congratulates Ron for his epic cooking skills, and his natural ability to flee making him a great running back in football. He tends to panic in crises, which may be a result of PTSD from some past military action (he's a Lieutenant in... something). Paranoid, he often runs straight to conspiracy theory.

-Barkin is physically quite capable, but not all there mentally- he's PL 3, but easily victimized by the many Kim Possible Rogues.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Duff Killigan

Post by Jabroniville »

Ron: Smell my feet! Give me something good to eat!
Rufus: (Chatters)
Man: Happy Halloween.
Kid: Mister, could you not do smell your feet? It's really lame.
Ron: Hey, unicorn came to play.
Kid: You're no unicorn, you're just a horse's…
Killigan: I've come to claim what's mine!
Kid: (Giggles) He's dressed like a girl.
Killigan: I'm not!
Kid: You're wearing a skirt!
Killigan: It's a kilt!
Kid: (The kids leave) Whatever.
Ron: Poor Duff. Kids can be cruel.
Killigan: Not as cruel as I can be, Mr. Stoppable. So tell me, (points at Ron) where is the Centurion project?!
Ron: That thing stuck on Kim's wrist?
Killigan: She's still got it, then? Bonny good. Where is she?
Ron: Not with me.
Killigan: She told her momma she was going with you.
Ron: No, you got it all wrong. She's with her parents.
Killigan: What?
Man: Oh, another trick or treater. (Duff puts his hand out for a piece of candy from the man) Happy Halloween. Piece of advice. The girl costume works better without the beard.
Killigan: (madly and loudly) I'm nae a girl!

DUFF KILLIGAN
Played By:
Brian George
Role: Angry Scot, One-Note Gag
PL 6 (93)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+7)
Expertise (Golf) 8 (+12)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+7)
Intimidation 4 (+5)
Investigation 4 (+5)
Perception 4 (+5)
Technology 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Equipment 4 (Tartan-Themed Non-Rigid Airship w/ Self-Destruct), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Exploding Golf Balls" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [11]
Blast 6 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (18 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Golf Balls +6 Area (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Temper- Killigan has been banned from every golf course in the world- even mini-golf- for violent displays of temper.
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 11 / Defenses: 12 (93)

-Watching a Kim Possible episode and finding out it was gonna be a "Duff Killigan Episode" was kinda like watching Batman: The Animated Series and seeing it was gonna be a "Penguin Episode". Good as the show was, you always kinda went "awww...". As a bad guy, he's really just a quick "SNL Gimmick" (an evil Golfer villain! That's funny!), and couldn't carry a whole episode. To their credit, the writers quickly realized this, and so Duff was rapidly turned into a villain you typically saw mixed up with OTHER bad guys. In fact, he has only one episode all to himself.

-Duff debuted attempting to get a weapons-researcher-turned-botanist to turn the entire world into a gigantic golfing green- he is beaten by Kim using super-fertilizer on dandelion seeds, trapping him. He reappears alongside Shego & Drakken in another episode, also joining Monkey Fist & Shego in another, and after that he's largely just a background fixture. He just didn't have the depth to be anything but that.

-Killigan isn't a major threat, but his signature Exploding Golf Balls are actually a bit more frightening than his PL 6 status would suggest, as an Area Effect can be rather effective against low-toughness characters like the ones in this show. However, they have more than adequate enough defenses to avoid them, as, much like gunfire, He Never Hits Anything. He's also one of the few villains in the show with no minions.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ah Kim Possible.
Competent, caring, and still somewhat human in spite of being good at almost everything.
Also she seems to have low standards, so maybe I'd have had a chance! :lol:

I enjoy that show and having rewatched it about a year ago I was surprised to find a lot of the humor is just as good as it was the first time I watched.

And yeah, Ron is almost impossible to stat. In combat situations he goes from nearly untouchable to easy target, from extremely competent to completely incompetent, all depending on the episode. Sometimes in the same episode.

Though my personal favorite was Ron being turned evil and becoming a remarkably competent villain. To the point he has Kim on the run and has Shego under his thumb.
Shego! The person who never takes crap from anybody.

In the end his most reliable parts are that he's willing to put himself into extreme danger to help Kim (and most people aren't for some reason), and that he's a good distraction/source of Hero Points.

Honestly this series was just... fun. Everybody in it had fun moments, had interesting characters, and fun stories. I look forward to watching it again once Disney sets up their streaming service. Assuming they don't screw it up somehow.
squirrelly-sama

Re: Mr. Barkin

Post by squirrelly-sama »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:11 am-So Kim Possible has a brilliant workaround- since it's a comedy, it can just throw in Mr. Barkin as a Substitute Teacher, and invent a humorous calamity for every single teacher who missed the class. As such, he is basically the ONLY teacher we ever see at Middleton High- going on field trips, teaching gym, coaching football, and more. It's a great running gag. And made all the better because Barkin is HILARIOUS.
My favorite is the cooking episode where they hire him because no one noticed the home ec teacher retired 4 years ago until Ron and Kim accidentally signed up for the class.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

SO THE DRAMA:
-The Movie Finale is probably the show's high water mark, really capping off everything. The animation is AMAZING throughout, and the gags are some of the show's funniest. Drakken actually having a GOOD PLAN for once is treated with the horror it deserves, too. The Opening Action Sequence (trademark to Action Movies) is one of the best ever, as Shego flies a jet through the Tokyo skyline with KP in two, roller-blading across the skyscrapers while attached to a giant hook, before she & Ron free-fall to safety. Then shortly after, Kim & Shego have their BEST FIGHT EVER, throwing down with available weapons, doing high-end athletics, and acrobatically kicking ass.

Ron introducing himself to his new buddy Eric... then getting immediately jealous when he hits it off with Kim, is some great stuff- Ron's pouty anger is fantastic. Eric's ass-kissing and being "what a father wants for his little girl" is amusingly working on Mr. Possible, but MRS. Possible has some great stuff where she's the only person in the ENTIRE WORLD who can see what's blindingly-obvious- that Kim & Ron belong together. She doesn't lay it on too thick, but just gives little mentions here and there about Ron, and looks sad when Kim & Eric run off to the prom- it's a neat bit.

The only issue with the potential Kim/Ron relationship is that SO MANY of their interactions are just cute, smart Kim being exasperated at the dopey, uglier Ron's behavior- hardly the basis for anything but a... well, every sitcom marriage after 1999, I guess. But it's handled well enough here, with Kim actually being legitimately concerned for Ron's shock and horror at Bueno Nacho's destruction (it's falling apart behind the scenes just as Kim is going off with a new guy), and when Ron comes up with the most outlandish, stupid idea possible for Drakken's scheme... Kim thinks about it for all of two seconds before putting on a serious face and IMMEDIATELY believing him- she leaves Eric at the dance and runs off to fight Drakken.

It's kind of funny how Ron's paranoia and self-destructive obsessions with things actually saves the world here- a distracted Kim would never have imagined... cybertronic fast food mascots (designed by a brilliant toymaker, thus making the movie's opening relevant) being used to take over the world. But since Ron was witnessing (and angsting over) Bueno Nacho's creating kids meals, mascots and GETTING RID OF THE BENDY STRAWS, he was right there when it happened.

Ron forcing Drakken to remember his name is a great cap-off, as is Kim whupping Shego's ass once and for all. The use of the experimental Battle Suit only adds to the "finale" nature of things. And then Kim & Ron show up at the school dance, hand-in-hand. Bonnie gloats ("It finally happened! Kim Possible and Ron Stoppable are DATING! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!"), and the student body pauses for a second... before immediately cheering them on. Playing some mid-90s style simple pop (even though this is 2005), Kim & Ron have their first dance- Rufus & Monique doing the "'awwwww" look and swooning is terrific, and the couple's first kiss ends the series.

Damn, no WONDER fans basically demanded another whole season after this.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Well,there was the one kiss right outside Kim's locker in 'Emotion Sickness', but that doesn't really count given the circumstance.

The thing about the "mid-90s style pop" is that it was actually sung by Christy Carlson Romano... the voice of Kim Possible.\

I heard that part of the reason for the fourth season is that the Disney Channel guys looked at the numbers "So the Drama" pulled in and said "Damn! Screw the only 65 episode rule."
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.