Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Shadow Knight

Post by Jabroniville »

THE SHADOW KNIGHT (Randall Spector)
Created By:
Doug Moench & Bill Sienkiewicz
First Appearance: Hulk Magazine #17 (Oct. 1979)
Role: Mirror Image Villain
Group Affiliations: The Committee
PL 10 (141)
STRENGTH
4/6 STAMINA 4/6 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 7
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+9)
Athletics 5 (+9/+12)
Deception 6 (+8)
Expertise (Mercenary) 6 (+8)
Insight 5 (+7)
Intimidation 7 (+9)
Investigation 4 (+6)
Perception 5 (+7)
Stealth 4 (+8)
Technology 3 (+5)
Vehicles 2 (+9)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Equipment 8 (Arsenal), Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Initiative, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 5, Seize Initiative, Startle

Powers:
"Moon Phase-Based Powers" (All have Flaws: Limited to Night and the Strength of the Moon)
Enhanced Strength 2 [2]
Enhanced Stamina 2 [2]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [0.5]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [1.5]

Equipment:
"Armor" Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 3) (5)
"Throwing Darts" Blast 4 (Extras: Multiattack) (Diminished Range -1) (11) -- (16)
  • AE: "Nunchuku" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Split, Fast Grab) (3)
  • AE: "Truncheon" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1) note: Once had a Danger Sense Power, too
  • AE: "Bolas" Snare 4 (Diminished Range -1) (11)
  • AE: "Ivory Boomerang" Blast 4 (Feats: Homing, Ricochet 2) (Diminished Range -1) (10)
  • AE: "Grappling Hook" Movement 1 (Swinging) (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
At Night +11 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Nunchuku +11 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Truncheon +11 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Bolas +12 (+4 Ranged Affliction, DC 14)
Throwing Darts & Boomerang +12 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +4 (+6 at Night, +8 Armor), Fortitude +7 (+9 at Night), Will +5 (+7 vs. Mental Attacks)

Complications:
Enemy (Moon Knight)- Randall hates his brother for whatever reason.
Hatred (Nurses)- Randall appears to hate nurses specifically.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 52--26 / Advantages: 24 / Powers: 6 / Defenses: 13 (141)

-... okay, so I've literally never heard of this guy. Dude barely showed up in any of my "Moon Knight" notes at any point until now. He debuts in the black & white Hulk magazine days, with Moon Knight recognizing that the "Hatchet Man" serial killer targeting nurses throughout New York City is actually his estranged brother Randall. Randall is killed in the subsequent fight (Marc refuses to slay family, but Randall falls to his death, being impaled on a tree branch), never being a real "super-villain"-type, but Howard Mackie retcons this to be an impostor, and brings Randall back in the late '80s. The two brothers were apparently mercenaries together, but Randall killed Marc's nurse girlfriend, and I guess went a little nuts. When he reveals himself for realz this time, he has super-powers as a member of the Cult of Khonshu. He reappears in modern times as The Shadow Knight, directly copying Moon Knight's powers (and adding a Radiation Blast from his eyes). He is finally killed by Marc during another struggle when he attempts to take hostages.

-A generic "Mirror Image Villain", I'm making him a worse, PL 9.5 version of Moon Knight and that's that.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (Moon Knight Builds! Deadzone! Black Spectre! Shadow Knight!)

Post by Ares »

Jeez, Claremont syndrome strikes again, where it seems like no superhero can have a brother or sister that isn't also either a superhero or a supervillain. I thought about it a moment and Richard Rider, Will Payton and Jaime Reyes are the only ones I could think of that have siblings that are actually just normal people.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:13 am Jeez, Claremont syndrome strikes again, where it seems like no superhero can have a brother or sister that isn't also either a superhero or a supervillain. I thought about it a moment and Richard Rider, Will Payton and Jaime Reyes are the only ones I could think of that have siblings that are actually just normal people.
Rider's brother joined the Nova Corps in his most recent solo book :).
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Zankuro! Moon Knight Builds! Midnight! Morpheus!)

Post by Jabroniville »

greycrusader wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:42 am Cripes, but Moon Knight really DOES have a weak-sauce roster of foes! Not as embarrassingly bad as Cage's (with the exception of a tiny few, like Chemistro), but as forgettable as Iron Fist's definitely (one memorable one before the modern era is Steel Serpent). Most aren't really terrible, but...they're almost all one-shot (or at most one story-arc), non-powered, minor-league mercs, crime bosses, serial killers, terrorists, or hi-tech thieves. Most even just use conventional weapons, rather than any kind of specialized gear or inventions. This DOES make a certain sense if its true Doug Moench intended him to be a Pulp Hero type-because characters such as Doc Savage, The Shadow, and the Spider rarely fought anyone twice, and were always more colorful than their opponents.

Still, MK really DID have a strong run in the late 1970s/early 1980s-if you count his B&W back-up stories, then he enjoyed a four year run, followed by appearances in the West Coast Avengers, a mini-series, and then a five year series. Pretty decent as characters created AFTER the Silver Age go (only a handful have endured since that era).

I'd almost think with Moon Knight's connection to Khonshu, his origin involving an actual werewolf, his rather eerie costume and such, that a successful approach might move him to an occult investigator and monster hunter, going up against evil cultists, mad scientists conducting experiments on the homeless, psychopaths with bizarre motifs, and so on, even using Morpheus as a sort of Freddy Kruger figure. Basically moving him away from the Batman analogue role to a more distinctive position in the MU.

All my best!
Yeah, the character is potentially a bit "blank slate", and seems ideal for "Daredevil" runs where an "auteur"-type creator can take hold of him and write some big stuff. In many ways, an inventive weirdo like Ellis is ideal for a Moon Knight book. The unfortunate thing is, I think his core cast isn't inherently that great, and since he has ZERO good villains, there's no chance for him to have a great feud with a Bullseye or Kingpin-type. Even his "Elektra", Stained Glass Scarlet, was sub-par and forgettable.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Ares wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:13 amI thought about it a moment and Richard Rider, Will Payton and Jaime Reyes are the only ones I could think of that have siblings that are actually just normal people.
At least until the moment that James Robinson decided that Jayne Payton and Sadie Falk were the same person.

She didn't become a hero or villain, but she sure as heck weren't normal anymore.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Ken wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:21 am
Ares wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:13 amI thought about it a moment and Richard Rider, Will Payton and Jaime Reyes are the only ones I could think of that have siblings that are actually just normal people.
At least until the moment that James Robinson decided that Jayne Payton and Sadie Falk were the same person.

She didn't become a hero or villain, but she sure as heck weren't normal anymore.
I remember that. You know, Robinson gets a lot of credit for his Starman run, and perhaps rightly so, and I can appreciate him trying to tie all of the Starmen in DC together. But based on his other writing, I have to wonder if he didn't just luck out into writing the kind of books that would be popular a couple of years ahead of everyone else. Because a lot of his run felt like he didn't really "get" superheroes and was mostly this kind of self-insertion fan-fic about this guy who was too cool for superhero costumes and happily humiliated other heroes that came into his book, and did a real number on the Will Payton Starman.

Frankly, I'd read Roger Stern's run of his Starman book twice before reading Robinson's Starman.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
HalloweenJack

Re: Bora

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:17 am ImageImage

BORA (Anzhela Federova)
Created By:
Tony Isabella & Kevin Nowlan
First Appearance: Moon Knight #35 (Jan. 1984)
Role: Forgotten Villain
Group Affiliations: The Avant Guard

-Bora was a mutant who could create arctic winds via spatial rifts. She was also seven feet tall (droooooooooooooooooooll....), ruining her chances of being a ballerina. She troubled Moon Knight, who had to call in the X-Men and Fantastic Four for help. Years later, she allied with two other weirdos, Spark & Painter, against Spider-Man- this ended when she and Spark, who were lovers, were turned into a painting by their ally. She is stated to have lost her powers after M-Day.
I have that last issue with she, Spark, and the Painter. i never got the impression she was 7 feet tall though
Woodclaw

Re: Bora

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:17 am ImageImage

BORA (Anzhela Federova)
Created By:
Tony Isabella & Kevin Nowlan
First Appearance: Moon Knight #35 (Jan. 1984)
Role: Forgotten Villain
Group Affiliations: The Avant Guard

-Bora was a mutant who could create arctic winds via spatial rifts. She was also seven feet tall (droooooooooooooooooooll....), ruining her chances of being a ballerina. She troubled Moon Knight, who had to call in the X-Men and Fantastic Four for help. Years later, she allied with two other weirdos, Spark & Painter, against Spider-Man- this ended when she and Spark, who were lovers, were turned into a painting by their ally. She is stated to have lost her powers after M-Day.
Okay, let me get this straight, they named her after a freezing cold wind that blew over the Adriatic Sea and the Aegean Sea and she is Russian... WTF!
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Disney Builds!!!

Post by Jabroniville »

WALT DISNEY PICTURES:
-And now, a set I've been wanting to re-visit for AGES- DISNEY BUILDS!!!!

When I first did this set, it was 2013, a few months before Frozen had hit theatres and would set the world on fire, becoming one of the most iconic, talked-about Disney movies in history. The company was still on a big hot streak, which would only get hotter as time went on. Funnily enough, I'd JUST DONE Mortal Kombat builds, which was tonally the absolute opposite of your typical Disney Fare. It was rather a perfect moment.

It was that set where I first revealed my full "Disney Fandom" to the boards. I'd yet visited Disneyland as an adult (I'd only gone as a teen), and hadn't seen Walt Disney World (refered to as "WDW" by TRUE Disney Snobs like me) at all. I THINK I'd mentioned it once or twice, but up until this point, I don't think anyone on the M&M boards knew I was in love with a certain French Princess :). I think only people on a few Superhero boards knew I was an obsessive Disneyphile, and I'd never really referenced it that often on the Atomic Think Tank- so it was kind of a big "tear the band-aid off" moment, showing my fandom to everyone. Happily, most of the posters get into it, and let out their own fandoms regarding Disney's films.

So it's kind of funny that there was a time when it WASN'T a running gag that I was obsessed with Disney Princesses, was always going to the Disney Parks, etc. :). It was practically a secret! And now I barely go by a month or two without ranting about SOME Disney-themed thing or another! It was these builds that left me more open to statting up the Disney Fairies franchise much later. It'd also lead to me statting up each new big Disney Animated Canon film as they were released- I statted Frozen the weekend after I'd seen it (revealing Hans only via an unusually-large Deception score; nobody picked up on it), Big Hero 6 the following year, then Zootopia, which appeared on the Ronin Army thread. I'd actually statted my Disney Builds so long ago that the originals were trapped on the unlockable ATT Boards, where my old Hotlinked pictures no longer work, so the builds look like a total mess! Time to fix all of that!

DISNEY AS A WHOLE:
-This is a company famous for taking any material, no matter how adult, and dumbing it down, "safing it up", and sanitizing it for an audience of young children and their sensitive parents. A company infamous for a monolithic desire to control everything- whose repeated failures to make products appealing to males caused them to spend BILLIONS on proven "Boy Stuff" like Marvel Comics and Star Wars (mandatory joke about corporate then attempting to de-gender both things completely). Something seen the world over as the "safe" alternative to just about anything. Something that the internet tough-guys and cynical adults of the world would have you belive has little merit, and is solely for the aforementioned audiences. But true men and women of taste know better, don't they?

The very name "Disney" brings up some varied impressions in people. To a lot of teens & adults, it generates thoughts of dumbed-down, uncool material, and the shameless advertising of stuff to children (judging by the $3 billion annual profits of the Disney Princess division, this works absurdly well). To animators in the industry, it represents a cruel overlord who builds films by committee, punishes rebels, dominates all Western Animation, and makes each person obsess over one tiny aspect of each film (it's not uncommon to be "the guy who animates all the water and ONLY the water"). Disney's cultural reach is such that they basically gobble up every tale they touch, to the point where even famous folk tales, myths and fables are generally primarily known by "The Disney Version" first. Even famous stories like Peter Pan and Beauty and the Beast are now FAR more famous for the Disney adaptations than any of the original stories. Even Lewis Carroll's work is less well-known than that of the Disney version. I think the only exceptions to this are the Late Renaissance pictures like Tarzan and Hercules, who were themselves too iconic to be changed.

But when it comes down to it, there's very little that can truly call itself part of our communal culture the way Disney's stuff can. Pretty much EVERYONE has seen a huge chunk of the Disney Animated Canon, if not the majority of it. In terms of beautiful animation, they have no peer- the only stuff even comparable is the peak of anime, but where Disney has perfected the movement of individual charaters (often over-doing the actions to resemble pantomime- it's a very distinctive style of movement), anime tends to focus on backgrounds and simply "having lots of stuff" moving around (think of Miyazaki's work with the flying paper or worms and stuff).

AND THE VILLAINS-- these are some of the greatest characters in the history of fiction- using some awesome combination of hamminess, sleaziness, pure evil (hey, why NOT just insult a little orphan girl's appearance, you BITCH?), wonderfully-wicked songs, and devilish appearance. The villain is almost always the most interesting charater in a story, and that goes double here- half of the time, it's the VILLAIN who's the most well-remembered and well-thought-of character in the entire piece- nearly all of the praise for The Hunchback of Notre Dame is for Tony Jay's performance as Frollo, for example. Ursula's the best part of The Little Mermaid, and Maleficent owns the CRAP out of Sleeping Beauty. The villains are almost always gleefully hammy, often completely effeminate if they're males (Jafar, Scar, Ratigan, Ratcliffe, Prince John...) or vile and hideous if they're women (Ursula, The Queen in Witch Form, Madame Medusa), provoking thoughts of disgust in audiences used to Manly Men and Hot Ladies. A collection of Disney Villains would easily hold up (and trounce) the villainous line-ups of any comic book company.

And really, for all the talk of Disney being a family company, they sure are responsible for an inordinate amount of our childhood nightmares.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Disney stuff will always remain classic to me, regardless of some of the stuff they've done more recently.
Things that I'd like to see:
-Toy Story isn't really stattable, but how about the "real" version of Buzz Lightyear, as depicted in some of the material? (like the cartoon, for one) I dunno.
Also, from what I recall from the last time I read the old builds, I didn't see one for Captain Gantu from Lilo & Stitch. He's basically the closest thing to a villain the first movie has, and is a recurring character, appearing in the various direct-to-video sequels and the cartoon series.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Little known fact about me: I,too,am a Disnephile(though i'm more of a fan of their older stuff,like the old TV shows and several older movies/animated stuff) and think they do FANTASTIC work on anything they get behind(don't agree with half their policies,but that's a Corporate thing),especially their animated movies.Some of my favorite Disney Villian's are Gaston(ANY other Disney movie/show,he would've been the Hero,bit of a Douche,but a Hero nethertheless), Professor Ratigan(One of Vincent Prices finest Voice-over's.I still occasionally sing Goodbye,So soon as i'm walking), Captain Hook(I always felt sotof sorry,as all he originally wanted to do was get home but Pan just HAD to cut off his hand&feed it to a Crocodile...), Queen Grimhilde(I like to think of her as Maleficent's younger sister that got a bad case of Jealousy) and Madam Medusa(I know a lot of fan's think she fit's,but i think her&Hook should've either hooked-up or been related). :D
Jabroniville

Disney History

Post by Jabroniville »

DISNEY HISTORY:
-Walter Elias Disney and his older brother Roy were born in Marceline, Missouri, in a pretty lower-middle-class kind of way, and as adults, went to work in the new "Cartoon Business". Walt was given the gift of gab, and was a great salesman, soon linking himself to animator workhorse Ub Iwerks, who would disappear from the narrative very quickly, despite playing a huge role in Disney's early success. The animation business was a cutthroat one, with everyone ripping each other off with "Screwy Squirrel" types of characters- Walt & Ub's "Oswald the Lucky Rabbit" was a great success, but they notably didn't OWN the character- both were summarily fired after a run-in with corporate, giving Walt his biggest lesson ever- if he wanted to be a real succes, he'd have to OWN his own properties.

So they cut the ears off of their rabbit character, made him a mouse, and gave him a name (Walt's wife famously told him to drop the "Mortimer" one). And Steamboat Willie, his first starring role, in which he repeatedly tortures small animals (seriously, holy shit- watch this one), was a smash hit. Very quickly, the character became famous, ultimately overlapping Oswald by a hundred times (the Disney corporation would actually outright BUY the Oswald character many generations later, as a final "Take That" from the long-dead Walt). Walt, with Roy as the business mind (he had no artistic cred, but was GREAT with the actual running of a business), would lead his studio to create a whole new cast of characters- Donald, Goofy, etc. Mickey would soon lose his "edge", becoming a kindly, cheerful soul- a reputation he'd get stuck with for the rest of time.

The cartoon shorts were great business (rivaled only by the Warner Bros. canon- which has FAR more artistic credibility and was MUCH funnier), but Walt wanted MORE. Ultimately, he became known for someone always looking into the future, seeing what ELSE they could do. Though it's hard to find evidence he ever drew so much as a PICTURE, he had a hell of an eye for animation, and had a true artist's vision for bigger things. All cartoons until this point were SHORTS- throwaway things stuck in front of the movies people actually came to see. But what about a FEATURE-LENGTH cartoon? And so Walt did something that came to typify him: he bet the farm on his new, weird idea. With everyone thinking he was nuts, he created what was called "Disney's Folly"- an hour and a half-long feature with actual DRAMA AND SADNESS instead of just silly Funny Animals whacking each other on the ass with paddles. This stupid, insane idea ended up making more money (adjusted for inflation) than any animated film in history... oh, and it invented the "Animated Film" genre. So there's that.

So Animated Features are a Thing:
-So with Snow White, Walt had shaken the business to its foundation. The follow-ups? Didn't do so well- they were so expensive to produce, and World War II was going on at the same time, so long-time classics Pinocchio, Bambi and others were not only sparsely-released, but actually LOST HIM MONEY. Hell, there's more failures than successes in the early days. It took him years of re-releases (back then, a common feature of big picture releases- and a huge part of why the early grosses of Hollywood movies are untouchable to any modern film- releasing a big Disney Picture to a new audience of kids every seven years made BANK) to break even on those. And then he made a crazy Art Film like Fantasia, which again, lost money (but gained him a TON of artistic credibilty). Ultimately, there'd be a bunch of crappy "Collections of Animated Shorts" films, some big-name movies, then more disappointments. Sleeping Beauty lost so much money that the studio actually DOWNGRADED its art department, changing the "official style" into a much scratchier-looking, sketchy style, which is why The Jungle Book, Robin Hood and other '60s & '70s faire actually looks MUCH worse than 1959's Sleeping Beauty.

Walt, of course, wasn't done JUST making pictures- his Art Films were a passion project, but when the man impatiently sat on a bench while his kids played in some park or another, he was struck by another idea- what if someone made a park where ADULTS could have fun, too? And so Walt began his NEXT crazy-ass passion-project doomed to failure- a "Disneyland" comprised of the various things that were popular at the time- Fantasyland (Princess & medieval fare), Adventureland (for the popular "Jungle Adventure" genre), Frontierland (for the VERY popular Western craze) and Tomorrowland (for a now-hilariously-dated look at the future). And of course it cost millions, was a total disaster at opening (even Disney tells stories of people using counterfeit tickets, putting ladders up to climb over the walls, running out of food and drinks, AND it being so hot the pavement hadn't set in the parks yet). But it ended up making money EVENTUALLY, and totally became a game-changer for entertainment.

Changing Fortunes:
-The Disney Corporation, as it had become, went through a lot of changing fortunes. Some of its features were mega-hits (101 Dalmations is, adjusted for inflation, its #2 hit), while others didn't do so well. Walt famously died in the late 1960s, devastating a whole generation of children, before his "Florida Project" could be finalized- Walt Disney World would have to open without him, with his weird "EPCOT" idea going from a functioning micro-city of the future (Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow) into a generic theme park with a World Showcase and some Tomorrowland-esque "looks at what the future might look like". His company would flag so badly that Animated Features almost died out in the 1980s- The Black Cauldron being such a huge failure that it nearly killed an art form. Fortunes were so bad that Disney was nearly bought-up and hatcheted up by some aggressive outside corporate forces (then man responsible is so infamous to Disneyphiles that when he died a couple of years ago, MiceChat, a normally pretty kindly source of internet news, was basically HOLY SHIT AREN'T WE GLAD THIS IMMORAL PIECE OF FUCKING SHIT IS DEAD, YOU GUYS?"). A combination of being shamed by rival Don Bluth Studios (who started kicking Disney's ass in the 1980s with An American Tail and other, more artistically-creative features than Disney had done in years) and the unexpected success of The Great Mouse Detective lionized Disney's efforts to start over, and so they worked with a couple of Broadway pros named Howard Ashman & Alan Menken... and renovated the entire genre forever.

Ashman & Menken, who had a weird sense of humor (they wrote The Little Shop of Horrors for Broadway, which had an ending so dark they had to remake it for the movie), but a bottomless well of creativity, were masters of storytelling in the TRUE sense, getting raw emotion out of just about anything. And these two brilliant minds combined with some of the best animated talent in the world to create a boy-crazy mermaid and turn a Hans Christian Andersen tale into a timeless classic. And The Little Mermaid absolutely CRUSHED anything else coming out that could hope to compete... and soon Disney had a new "Template" to follow- animated some beautiful characters, give them some "I Want" songs, stick the best animators in the world on them, and give people the best "Feel Good" moments you could imagine. Don Bluth never had a chance.

1989-199?- THE DISNEY RENAISSANCE:
-The '90s are generally known as the "Disney Renaissance", with The Little Mermaid inspiring everyone. With Ashman & Menken steering the artistic side, Jeffrey Katzenberg in charge of the studio, and Michael Eisner taking over business matters. Katzenberg, a mercurial, hard-to-please pain in the ass, was unlikeable, but gifted in his own right (he was PISSED at the first cut of Beauty and the Beast's "Spinning Room" scene, demanding they re-shot it, because "this is all about playing with your NEW TOY, and has nothing to do with two people falling in love"). Eisner is now typified more as a plain, dull, fearsome penny-pincher, who let things go to rot under his care (the Disney Parks were FAMOUSLY cheapened under his reign- called "The Pressler Era" as a slur, owing to Paul Pressler being in charge of them at the time- as cost-cutting led to dilapidated rides, things falling apart, and even several DEATHS due to disrepair!).

But man... that Template WORKED. 1) Take some beautiful character or two (Ariel & Eric, Belle, Aladdin & Jasmine, Simba & Nala, Mulan). You give them a cute "Toyetic" Sidekick for laughs and/or adorbz (Flounder, Chip, Abu & Genie, Timon & Pumbaa, Mushu). You stick a wild, arrogant, glorious villain, usually with a huge "Villain Song" (Ursula, Gaston, Jafar, Scar). You throw in some romance- a BIG "Romantic Movie" bit of iconic glory (Kiss The Girl, Beauty and the Beast, Part of Your World, Can You Feel The Love Tonight?). They made BANK. These movies did so well that they're STILL some of the most iconic films in any genre. Beauty and the Beast was so good that it had an honest shot at a goddamn OSCAR, which was absolutely unprecedented for an Animated Feature. The Lion King broke business records (not bad, for a picture thought of as a "throwaway"). Business was so good that even Bluth was openly ripping Disney off, as were other studios, leading to a march of Copycats (most notably Anastasia from Bluth, though Quest For Camelot is more openly mimicking the Template).

Sadly, shortly before Beauty and the Beast, one of the biggest names of the Renaissance was silenced, as Howard Ashman succumbed to AIDS. So if you're looking for the moment when things got a bit darker, check the end credits of BATB- "To our friend Howard, who gave a Mermaid her voice, and gave a Beast his soul". He'd touched some of the later films, but a HUGE part of why the ones in the years following were worse is because he wasn't there to "fix" them.

All Good Things Come To An End:
-Sadly, the Renaissance couldn't keep going. Though the Template was strong... it had limits. The absolute Game-Changer was unquestionably the disastrous Pocahontas- I'll go more into it when I post that movie's characters, but basically, everyone kind of wrapped it up and went "WELP- Renaissance Over. 'Twas fun while it lasted!" and figured Disney was done. It was THAT BAD. Short version: They did a boring story with boring leads and stuck to the "Template" so strongly that people had gotten sick of it- Mulan would use the identical Template just as much, but did so BETTER, but it was too late- Pocahontas, her obviously-Corporate-inspired Sidekicks, etc... people were all of a sudden REALLY AWARE of how generic the Template really was. Animaniacs scored a zinger about "Just One More Generic Princess". It was just so blandly... CORPORATE. I remember being a teen watching that movie, realizing how the marketing was just a bit TOO on-the-nose. You never, EVER want people to be able to "See The Strings" that badly (something for Marvel Studios to think about, as people have started picking apart THEIR Template, too).

Pocahontas was so bad that movies that came later actually suffered for it, even when they were rather GOOD. Mulan was excellent, and liked by pretty much everybody. But... Pocahontas was immediately followed by both The Hunchback of Notre Dame (with its clueless "Gargoyle" characters) and Hercules, both of which were also intensely flawed pictures (if quality in other ways, which I'll get into). If Disney had struck with another A-level Aladdin-caliber movie after Pocahontas, everything could have been avoided. But... they didn't.

Oh, and the SEQUELS. Releasing Bambi 2 was once thought of as a total absurdist joke about how "Disney will sell ANYTHING", no matter how garbage it was. Then they ACTUALLY MADE THAT MOVIE. Frigging CINDERELLA got two sequels! Straight-To-Video releases and TV series hit Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King and others. Some of them were actually terrific (if MUCH more poorly-animated), while others were total gutter trash. But revisiting 40-year old movies that NOBODY wanted sequels for left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. Soon, a "No Sequel" rule would take place under smarter leadership.

It didn't help that PIXAR had also struck gold around this time. Toy Story was a HUGE smash hit. CGI Animated Pictures would start sprouting up like wildfire in the following years. Pixar, a partner of Disney, would make so many quality pictures that they'd actually TAKE DISNEY'S CRED as the top-tier animation studio, as you knew walking in that "Pixar = Quality". The fact that CGI cartoons were easier to make than traditionally-animated ones after a point, AND CHEAPER, helped strike several blows. Disney putting out some of its worst garbage EVER while Pixar was churning out a veritable Hit Factory was disastrous, too. Eventually, Pixar had so much credibility that Disney first went to war with them (this led directly to Eisner getting booted out; the danger of losing PIXAR was so great that even HE was deemed expendable. That the legendarily-bad California Adventure theme park was one of his creations didn't help), then bought them outright, eventually copying their practices and way of business ENTIRELY.

The Modern Disney:
-Disney post-Pixar aquisition is a different beast. With John Lasseter of Pixar taking over animation, and being a REAL student of the game, the whole "occasional trash movie" thing was basically ended. A few movies struggled, but starting with Bolt, Disney adopted more Pixar-like practices, like actually putting EFFORT into quality control. An important lesson was learned with The Princess and the Frog, which was supposed to renew their Traditional Animation wing, but ended up being a big disappointment- that would put the nail in traditional animation's coffin for good. That the whole "CGI = Pixar = Quality" thing would become a big public perception, as people would flock to theatres to see just about ANY piece of shit (the Madagascar movies made upwards of $800 million EACH; the Ice Age films did, too). Kids LOVED CGI. So the entire business model switched over to that. Disney now had REAL competitors in the Shrek movies and more, though Dreamworks and other companies would themselves have rising and flagging fortunes.

But Disney eventually turned out a "Hit Factory" again, re-using the old Template in more clever ways. 2010's Tangled proved a very, VERY successful picture, and would be copied pretty closely by Frozen only three years later... and Disney would unexpectedly have their NEW "Biggest Smash Ever", shocking not only the whole industry, but THEMSELVES as well. And Zootopia the next year came damn close to matching it- Disney was now BREAKING RECORDS, and thanks to the silly, Merch-obsessed Cars movies, was actually getting as much artistic credibility as PIXAR was!

So right now, we live in a world where Disney can hit $1 billion in profits with the right movie. Where they're so focused on Toy Sales that every Princess Movie now features the charater/s as a little girl because of their "Baby Doll" line (the poor designers actually had to INVENT what Belle, Ariel and others looked like as small children!), at least 1-2 Funny Sidekicks, an Animal Mount to justify selling a BIGGER set, and at least TWO costumes for every female character so as to better sell more dolls. Frozen became such a reliable money-maker that Disney keeps it separate from the "Princess" line just for braggings rights (now they don't have the BEST-selling Doll Line... they have the BEST TWO selling lines), and comes out with a new short (with NEW DRESSES!) every year or so.

What does the future hold? Oh, probably another downturn here or there. The success of Frozen led to a backlash, even as a new generation of little girls get into it, and "Fads" tend to only last 3-5 years before they fall ('80s kids should know this well- He-Man, G.I. Joe and The Transformers all went through a meteoric rise and a slow fall into "Pretenders/Future He-Man/Joes as Drug-Fighters" garbage). Disney giving up on their "No Sequel" rule (which, to be fair, had never been a rule even back in the Renaissance, as Rescuers Down Under was a thing) with Wreck-It Ralph and Frozen being their only big releases for the next two years could lead to another backlash. Maybe people WILL get sick of Frozen. With John Lasseter recently being ousted over his own "MeToo" thing (apparently he was known for getting shitfaced and behaving inappropriately), their main "Creative Force", as close to Walt as you could get, was gone- it's possible than Jennifer Lee can replace him, but we'll have to see how they do without him.
Ken

Re: Jab's Builds! (Deadzone! Black Spectre! Shadow Knight! Disney Builds!)

Post by Ken »

I remember my sister and I seeing Bambi in a movie theatre, while my dad saw Jaws in the other movie theatre in town, a block away.. They were still doing the re-release thing well into the 1970s.

And back then, it was still the norm to have one screen and one projection booth in a moviehouse.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

List o’ movies

Post by Jabroniville »

The films, in chronological order, are (thank you TV Tropes, * denotes movies that are collections of shorter stories):
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
Pinocchio (1940)
Fantasia* (1940)
Dumbo (1941)
Bambi (1942)
Saludos Amigos* (1943)
The Three Caballeros* (1945; the film could be seen as a follow-up to "Saludos Amigos")
Make Mine Music* (1946)
Fun and Fancy Free* (1947)
Melody Time* (1948)
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad* (1949)
Cinderella (1950)
Alice in Wonderland (1951)
Peter Pan (1953)
Lady and the Tramp (1955)
Sleeping Beauty (1959)
101 Dalmatians (1961)
The Sword in the Stone (1963; last to be released while Walt was alive)
The Jungle Book (1967; final animated film produced while Walt was alive)
The Aristocats (1970; final film Walt personally greenlit)
Robin Hood (1973)
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh* (1977; Partially made while Walt was alive)
The Rescuers (1977)
The Fox and the Hound (1981)
The Black Cauldron (1985)
The Great Mouse Detective (1986)
Oliver & Company (1988)
The Little Mermaid (1989; The first film of the Disney Renaissance.)
The Rescuers Down Under (1990; The canon's only true sequel)
Beauty and the Beast (1991; The only movie of the canon to be nominated for Best Picture so far)
Aladdin (1992)
The Lion King (1994; The highest grossing of the canon.)
Pocahontas (1995)
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
Hercules (1997)
Mulan (1998)
Tarzan (1999, The last film of the Disney Renaissance.)
Fantasia 2000 (1999; Follow-up to "Fantasia")
Dinosaur (2000; First CGI movie done without Pixar)
The Emperor's New Groove (2000)
Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001)
Lilo & Stitch (2002)
Treasure Planet (2002)
Brother Bear (2003)
Home on the Range (2004; Planned as the last 2D animation, reversed in 2009)
Chicken Little (2005)
Meet The Robinsons (2007)
Bolt (2008)
The Princess and the Frog (2009; First 2D film after 2004)
Tangled (2010)
Winnie The Pooh (2011)
Wreck-It Ralph (2012)
Frozen (2013)
Big Hero 6 (2014)
Zootopia (2016)
Moana (2016)

Upcoming Films:
Wreck-It Ralph 2: Ralph Breaks the Internet (2018)
Frozen 2 (2019)
Ken

Re: Jab's Builds! (Deadzone! Black Spectre! Shadow Knight! Disney Builds!)

Post by Ken »

Song of the South (1946)*

Disney may not want to admit it, but they made it.