Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ken

Re: Jab's Builds! (Rodan! Gargantuas! Mothra! Minilla! Anguirus!)

Post by Ken »

The effects people deliberately were inconsistent with Kong's size back in the original. Basically, his size was determined by what was needed for the shot. Keep in mind that to make him visible in comparison to the Empire State Building, they still had to jack up his height.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

They released some semi-recent novels that had Kong go up against Pulp heroes Tarzan and Doc Savage separately. Good stuff.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

It’s rather remarkable, given the typical pacing of most Japanese daikaijū movies, the 1950s American atomic monster movies, and all of the King Kong remakes that usually combine 90% boring humans talking at each other with 10% monster wrasslin’, that the original King Kong doesn’t mess around and gets to the fuckin’ monkey!
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ares wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:54 am Wasn't that the movie where Godzilla actually used his Atomic Breath to fly?
Yup,it was the wildest thing i'd ever seen in a Toho movie(and that SAYS somethihg right there...)
Jabroniville

King Kong (Toho)

Post by Jabroniville »

KING KONG (Megaprimatus Kong)- Toho Version
Role:
Iconic Movie Monster
PL 15 (194)
STRENGTH
20 STAMINA 17 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -3 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 6 (+10)
Expertise (Survival) 6 (+7)
Insight 3 (+4)
Intimidation 13 (+20 Size)
Perception 4 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Thrown Rocks) 8 (+8)

Advantages: 
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative, Improved Hold, Last Stand (Ignores Damage For 1 Round With HP Spent), Power Attack, Startle, Takedown 2, Tracking, Ultimate Strength Check, Withstand Damage (Trade Defenses For Toughness)

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision) [3]

"Natural Size" "Kaiju-Sized"
Growth 18 (Str & Sta +18, +18 Mass, +9 Intimidation, -9 Dodge/Parry, +2 Speed, -18 Stealth) -- (170 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [37]
Protection 5 (Extras: Impervious 17) [22]
Immunity 20 (Energy Damage) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [10]
Speed +3 (60 mph) [3]

"Giant-Size Smash" Damage 15 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (45) -- [46]
  • AE: "Lightning Touch" Damage 22 (Extras: Penetrating 14) (Inaccurate -1) (35)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+20 Damage, DC 35)
Lightning Touch +8 (+22 Damage, DC 37)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +22 (+3 Impervious), Fortitude +17, Will +10

Complications: 
Disabled (Animal)- Apes cannot speak to humans.
Relationship (It Was Beauty Killed This Beast)- Giant Apes inevitably fall in love with pretty women that have incredible shrieks, and will do ANYTHING to get to them and protect them. ANYTHING. Even if you're a T-Rex.

Total: Abilities: 6 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 121 / Defenses: 25 (194)

-The famous King Kong (vs) Godzilla is one of cinema's first big Studio Crossover Movies, as RKO Pictures gave the Kong rights to Toho, who made a "Rubber Suit" movie out of it. Now featuring a much larger Kong (he'd be less than half Godzilla's height otherwise), it paints him as a sympathetic figure again, and features him repeatedly struggling against the mighty Godzilla, only to be empowered by a Deus Ex Machina lightning bolt that gives him energy powers and temporarily heals him- this allows Kong to come out of the resulting crater the victor, and he swims back to his home island.

-The Monster-themed books at my old school, plus general wisdom at the time, was that both Japan and the U.S. each got a different ending- the Japanese one featuring a victorious Godzilla, while the American version saw Kong as the winner. This is actually one of those mistruths that was told repeatedly- there was no difference in ending at all. Kong was always the winner.

-King Kong Escapes was made later, featuring Kong versus Gorosaurus- this Kong was much shorter- barely taller than the RKO Pictures version. He was supposed to return in the Heisei era, but Turner Entertainment, who then owned the rights to the King Kong franchise, refused, and even blocked the use of Mechani-Kong!
Batgirl III

Re: Jab's Builds! (Mothra! Minilla! Anguirus! King Kong!)

Post by Batgirl III »

He’s not technically a daikaijū, but since you’ve already built two King Kongs (and I’d wager you’ve got a Mechani-Kong on the drawing board), have you thought about giving this template chimpanzee traits instead of gorilla ones and some kryptonite eye beams?

BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Mothra! Minilla! Anguirus! King Kong!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:20 am He’s not technically a daikaijū, but since you’ve already built two King Kongs (and I’d wager you’ve got a Mechani-Kong on the drawing board), have you thought about giving this template chimpanzee traits instead of gorilla ones and some kryptonite eye beams?

I'm pretty sure I did that exact thing with this one :).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Davies wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:28 pm Yes, that's not a very pleasant image to regard, and if it was moving I'd probably be in hysterics right now. I'd rate it as much worse than the spiders in the 5e Monster Manual, but significantly less bad than Pathfinder's ridiculously photorealistic examples.
So you mean... you wouldn't like to see THIS??? :)?
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:54 am It’s rather remarkable, given the typical pacing of most Japanese daikaijū movies, the 1950s American atomic monster movies, and all of the King Kong remakes that usually combine 90% boring humans talking at each other with 10% monster wrasslin’, that the original King Kong doesn’t mess around and gets to the fuckin’ monkey!
There's a lot of issues with modern Kong movies:

1) The original is more or less non-stop action and unpretentious mayhem. The only equivalent to that today is like, The Fast and the Furious.

2) Every modern director gets pretentious about it, with a subject that's rather simple.

3) The original Kong was so big in part because of the spectacle and the effects. Nowadays, EVERY movie has special effects. The last equivalent to a big "jump in tech" was Cameron's Avatar. You're gonna have to do a hell of a lot better than "Giant Gorilla" to impress people.
Jabroniville

King Kong (MonsterVerse)

Post by Jabroniville »

KING KONG (Megaprimatus Kong)- Skull Island/Monsterverse Version
Role:
Iconic Movie Monster
PL 15 (131)
STRENGTH
17 STAMINA 19 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 7 (+11)
Expertise (Survival) 6 (+7)
Insight 3 (+4)
Intimidation 14 (+19 Size)
Perception 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative, Improved Hold, Last Stand (Ignores Damage For 1 Round With HP Spent), Power Attack, Startle, Takedown 2, Tracking, Ultimate Strength Check, Withstand Damage (Trade Defenses For Toughness)

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision) [3]

"Natural Size" Growth 15 (Str & Sta +15, +15 Mass, +7 Intimidation, -7 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -15 Stealth) -- (105 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [31]
Strength-Damage +2 [2]
Impervious Toughness 5 [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+19 Damage, DC 34)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +19 (+3 Impervious), Fortitude +20, Will +10

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Apes cannot speak to humans.
Relationship (It Was Beauty Killed This Beast)- Giant Apes inevitably fall in love with pretty women that have incredible shrieks, and will do ANYTHING to get to them and protect them. ANYTHING. Even if you're a T-Rex.

Total: Abilities: 16 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 41 / Defenses: 35 (131)

-This is the hero of Kong: Skull Island, which I haven't seen. He's actually shorter than the Toho version, probably because it's easier to have a smaller Kong interact with human-sized characters.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: King Kong (MonsterVerse)

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:55 am Image

KING KONG (Megaprimatus Kong)- Skull Island/Monsterverse Version
Role:
Iconic Movie Monster

-This is the hero of Kong: Skull Island, which I haven't seen. He's actually shorter than the Toho version, probably because it's easier to have a smaller Kong interact with human-sized characters.
I thought it was pretty decent. They also mention that Kong is getting bigger, as well as a shared Kaiju-verse that Kong will be a part of, meaning that any future versions of him will likely be full on Godzilla-sized.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:55 am -This is the hero of Kong: Skull Island, which I haven't seen. He's actually shorter than the Toho version, probably because it's easier to have a smaller Kong interact with human-sized characters.
The movie stated explicitly that this version of Kong isn't fully grown yet and he's probably the equivalent of a teenager of his species, the idea is that he should reach full Godzilla size by 2020.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Mechani-Kong

Post by Jabroniville »

Quote: "Grrrrrr!!! RRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

MECHANI-KONG (Mekanikongu- Showa Era)
Created By:
Takeshi Kimura
First Appearance: "The King Kong Show/King Kong vs. Mechani-Kong" (1966-67)
Role: The Opposite Colour Villain
Size: 45 meters (150 feet)
PL 15 (191)
STRENGTH
20 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -- AWARENESS -- PRESENCE --

Skills:
Intimidation 16 (+11, +20 Size)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Startle, Takedown 2, Withstand Damage (Trade Defenses For Toughness)

Powers:
"Kaiju-Sized"
Growth 18 (Str & Sta +18, +18 Mass, +9 Intimidation, -9 Dodge/Parry, +2 Speed, -18 Stealth) -- (170 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [37]

"Machine"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 3 (Extras: Impervious 29) [32]
Speed +2 (30 mph) [2]

"Grenade Belt" (Flaws: Removable) [50]
Blast 19 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst 15) (63 points)

"Giant-Size Smash" Damage 15 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (45) -- [46]
  • AE: "Hypnosis Beam" Affliction 12 (Will; Dazed/Entranced/Compelled) (Extras: Perception Range +2) (Flaws: Vision-Dependent) (24)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+20 Damage, DC 35)
Grenades +5 (+20 Ranged Damage, DC 35)
Hypnosis +12 Perception (+12 Perception Affliction, DC 22)
Giant Smash +15 Area (+15 Damage, DC 30)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +22 (+15 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will --

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Apes cannot speak to humans, and Mechani-Kong is no exception.
Vulnerable (Machine)- Mechani-Kong is controlled from afar, and if this control is disrupted, it will not be able to move. He is also vulnerable to magnetic attacks.

Total: Abilities: -50 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 197 / Defenses: 22 (191)

-King Kong actually got his own robotic version before Godzilla himself did, and fought the goofy-ass Mechan-Kong in his TV show and movie. Mechani-Kong was created by villains to fight and hypnotize the big ape, but his controls got smashed and he suffered that most Kong-like of deaths- falling off a building and smashing into dozens of pieces. He's got a nifty Grenade Belt, a Hypnosis Beam and the standard Kong-like stuff, but at slightly lower levels. He's roughly equal to Kong in most other respects, however, so he's quite the pain.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Woodclaw wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:50 am
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:55 am -This is the hero of Kong: Skull Island, which I haven't seen. He's actually shorter than the Toho version, probably because it's easier to have a smaller Kong interact with human-sized characters.
The movie stated explicitly that this version of Kong isn't fully grown yet and he's probably the equivalent of a teenager of his species, the idea is that he should reach full Godzilla size by 2020.
Yeah and that Movie was set in the 1970s end of Vietnam conflict era so hes had 40+ years to grow by the time 2020 rolls around
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Davies

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:55 am

For reasons that I'm not going to spoil since you haven't seen the film, I'd argue again for INT -2. (The Godzilla movie in this series also has some stuff that makes me think its G has INT -2.) But I'll admit that this rests on an interpretation of some questionable evidence. On the other hand, WATCH THESE MOVIES ALREADY.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."