Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
MacynSnow

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Sailors Chibi-Moon! Tuxedo Mask! Sailors Uranus & Neptune!)

Post by MacynSnow »

Battle of the Planets, Speed Racer, He-Man, Thundercats, GIJoe:RAH, Transformers G1, MASK, Inspector Gadget, Real Ghostbusters, Filmation Ghost Busters, Bravestarr, She-Ra(don't give me that look, Ken!), Scooby Doo(All Series), and Garfield was my Childhood Jams ...
When Toonami hit, i added Cowboy Bebop, Oulaw Star, Reronin Kenshin, Samurai Champloon, Afro Samurai and Samurai Jack to the list.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Scooby-Dooby-Do! I was a Scooby-Doo fan as a child. Ruh-roh, Raggy!
Orbiter

Post by Orbiter »

I'm ancient, so a lot of the stuff you guys have fond memories of are things I'm vaguely aware of and probably would have been nuts over when I was a kid. And I'm a bit jealous that your lists are so long; I had quite a bit less to choose from. But still love my Space Ghost, Herculoids, Galaxy Trio, Mi-Tor, and Johnny Quest.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

A friend of mine, who is a huge Sailor Moon fan, often pointed out that he was really annoyed about the relationship between Haruka and Michiru, not because he didn't like it, but because of they were characterized, as insanely extreme examples of personality tropes. Haruka is so absurdly stereotypically masculine that it's no wonder so many mistook her for a man in-universe. Meanwhile, Michiru is THE incarnation of everything feminine according to Japanese culture.
In short, his problem boiled down to the fact that this incredible unbalance of personalities led to the fact that their relationship often looked more heterosexual than homosexual.
While there is at least a hint of merit to this idea, I think it misses the point. First and foremost, I prefer to think of relationships in terms of "persons" without considering their gender or preferences. Second, even if their relationship played more like a heterosexual one, it was still a trailblazer for representation in mainstream media.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I know it’s a stereotype and considered gauche to talk about these days, but I’ve known numerous homosexual couples where there is a feminine partner and a masculine partner.

I mean, hell, I’m a cigar-smoking, comic book reading, wargaming, European martial arts enthusiast, who collects automatic weapons...

...my first serious romance was with a professional ballerina.

...my first husband grows orchids (competitively!) and collects antiques.

...my current husband (formerly my wife) is a true gourmand and could probably be a professional baker if he wasn’t too busy doing charity work on top of his work as a disability rights lawyer.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:27 pm I know it’s a stereotype and considered gauche to talk about these days, but I’ve known numerous homosexual couples where there is a feminine partner and a masculine partner.

I mean, hell, I’m a cigar-smoking, comic book reading, wargaming, European martial arts enthusiast, who collects automatic weapons...

...my first serious romance was with a professional ballerina.

...my first husband grows orchids (competitively!) and collects antiques.

...my current husband (formerly my wife) is a true gourmand and could probably be a professional baker if he wasn’t too busy doing charity work on top of his work as a disability rights lawyer.
That's kind of my point.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Sailor Pluto

Post by Jabroniville »

Art by AlaskaYU, Isack503, ChannelSQUARE & Athena-Chan.

SAILOR PLUTO (Setsunah Meioh)
Dub Name:
Trista
Role: The Mysterious One, The Unemotive One
Main Fuku Colour: Dark Maroon & Dark Green
Elemental Alignment: Time
Hair Colour: Dark Green
PL 11 (164)
STRENGTH
2/3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+5, +7)
Athletics 6 (+8, +9)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+11)
Deception 5 (+7)
Insight 2 (+6)
Perception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 3 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Pluto Attacks) 3 (+11)
Technology 6 (+10)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Diehard, Equipment 1 (Communicator), Improved Aim, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Ranged Attack 5, Set-Up, Well-Informed

Powers:
"Sailor Strength"
Enhanced Strength 1 [2]
Strength-Damage +1 [1]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Movement 1 (Safe Fall) [2]

"Garnet Rod" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [39]
"Stop Time" Speed 8 (Extras: Affects Others, 30ft. Burst, Selective) (Flaws: Fades) Linked to Quickness 10 (Extras: Affects Others, 30ft. Burst, Selective) (Flaws: Fades) Linked to Enhanced Advantages 3: Evasion 2, Move-By Action (Extras: Affects Others, 30ft. Burst, Selective) (Flaws: Fades) (63) -- (64 points)
  • AE: "Dead Scream!" Blast 11 (Feats: Improved Critical 2) (24)
Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Unarmed Senshi +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Dead Scream +11 (+11 Ranged Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +9

Complications (Early):
Power Loss (All Powers)- Sailor Senshi must be able to gesture and speak freely to use their powers. If they are Bound or Snared, they cannot use their attacks easily.
Normal Identity (Meioh Setsunah, Without Power Stick)
Responsibility (Sailor Senshi)- The Senshi are forced to fight evil.
Responsibility (Time)- Sailor Pluto guards the timestream, and is expressively forbidden from using her ultimate power- Freezing Time. So of course she does it.
Secret (Identity)- The Senshi must not reveal their identities to the world at large, nor their villains.
Enemy (The Death Busters)

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 46 / Defenses: 20 (164)

Sailor Pluto- The Boring One:
-Sailor Pluto is a real curiosity in the series- she debuts with almost zero fanfare at all, and isn't even shown FIGHTING at first. She's just the voice in Chibi-Usa's "Luna-P" floating helper during most of Sailor Moon R, and only reveals herself near the end- she is Sailor Pluto- Guardian of the Timestream, ordered to ensure that nobody ever goes through the magical door and travels through time. And all she does is help the other Sailors through the timestream, with Luna & Artemis pulling their classic "Oh, I think I remember hearing about her..." schtick. She's most distinctive for her appearance- an "off-brand" look for a Sailor, as she carries a key-ring around her waist and packs a giant staff with a Heart & Jewel atop it. And for the fact that she's as tall as most of the MALE characters, and resembles an adult woman with very dark skin by this show's standards.

-When Sailor Moon S rolled around, and were were introduced to the REST of the Sailors of the Solar System, it was inevitable that we'd get more of this mysterious new character. And of course she would reveal that THIS TIME she was joining the fight. Except... they still didn't really give her much to do. She shows up to reveal the secret of the Talismans (of course, despite being a TIME TRAVELER, she appears right after everyone nearly dies, at the very last second), tells everyone that SHE has the third (meaning the villains could have never found it), and that forms the Holy Grail Macguffin that empowers Sailor Moon for the rest of the season, and is the key to defeating the mega-villain, Pharaoh 90.

Pluto the Backgrounder:
-However, after this she kind of just sinks into the background. Though Chibi-Usa is delighted to have her friend back, Pluto (calling herself "Setsunah", as a probable fake name) announces that she can't hang out with the other Sailors, and must stand apart, because reasons. It's shown later that she's an "old acquaintance" of Uranus & Neptune, and shares their mission- Stop The Silence, No Matter What. And at one point, she joins the other two in throwing out a COMBINED ATTACK on innocent lil' Hotaru Tomoe, which would have slaughtered her if Sailor Moon hadn't jumped in! So she's now a heartless, dispassionate person- not angry or stern like the other two- she just coldly does what she thinks needs to be done.

-Possibly the weirdest damn thing is that she never gets an Episode Of Focus. Never a link to her past. Never a shot of her in Crystal Tokyo. Never her just spending a day doing stuff. The ONE EPISODE that spends a significant amount of time on her shows her in civilian form, researching Tellu's "Tellu Flowers", and joining the Usagis in their mission... but she gets wiped out immediately (taking a shot for Chibi-Usa). Like, the focus of the episode is actually on Tellu, then Chibi-Usa, THEN Pluto. It's really weird.

-Pluto finally does her "Forbidden Technique" in the final stages of Sailor Moon S- with Mistress 9 finally awakened and the Silence underway, she freezes time (!!) in order to rescue Uranus & Neptune from their exploding helicopter. It was a GREAT-looking piece of animation work, as the girls make their way out of a slowly-exploding 'copter and escape. Alas, this means that Pluto is now... banished, I guess? Or dead? It's stated that it's SUPER-CLEAR she's dead but like, I didn't pick up on it, lol. She speaks to the two, and later Chibi-Usa, indicating at least her spirit's still around.

Pluto in Sailor Stars:
-Pluto returns in Sailor Stars (the Outers are briefly in Sailor Moon SuperS in the manga, however) with a baby Hotaru, but matters little to the plot once more. She never gets a real Episode of Focus again, Chibi-Usa isn't in this season so she has no human connection, and she's just kinda THERE. Pluto has to share her big return in Sailor Stars with Chibi-Chibi, who debuts at the same time. She simply warns the girls not to trust Chibi-Chibi (notably, it turns out later that she could have been the key to victory). Sailor Pluto's only contribution to the fight? A missed attack against the Anima Mates. Seiya's Star Serious Laser stuns "Sailor Cop" after he fires his laser pistol, and he's beaten. That's it. In the battle against Galaxia, her Dead Scream is ignored, and a counterattack shatters her Garnet Orb. She's killed by Uranus & Neptune to curry favor with Galaxia, but is later revived by Sailor Moon.

-So... WHY is Pluto never around, and why is she so dull? Well, Naoko confesses she had this wild character design and put her into the story... then didn't really know what to do with her, and she didn't want to draw that hyper-complicated weapon too many more times, and rather than just REDESIGN it or do that writer thing and elaborate upon characters, she just kind of gave up and went "OH WELL, TIME TO MOVE ON" and focused on other characters instead. You'd think a pro writer would find a workaround, but sometimes the creative energies just aren't there and you wipe your hands with something, I dunno. John Byrne did the same thing with Alpha Flight and it was weird then, but understandable in a way- you just get writer's block on someting and that's that.

-Ultimately... I think Pluto was created more because Takeuchi was trying something, and she never bothered to give her a major character point or any of that. Her stoic, mature personality made her responsible, but a trifle dull, especially in a cast full of so many nutjobs. Fans like to joke that she's literally a robot or a zombie, as she almost never shows any emotion aside from "Careful responsibility". The only real showcasing of personality is when she's dealing with Chibi-Usa, but even then she's more just a "smiling caretaker". The manga added a thing about her being in love with Endymion (Mamoru) in the future, thus giving her a "Tragic Romance", but even that isn't focused on. Takeuchi confessed that Pluto was difficult to draw- the Garnet Rod was very elaborate, and the black & white inking process involved a lot of different inks for her black costume and darker skin tone.

Sailor Pluto's Powers:
-Sailor Pluto is another PL 10 fighter, but way below Sailor Uranus defensively. Her "Time Stop" power is really better-utilized as a "Speed Up" power, as freezing time is impossible in M&M stats without some kind of Universal-Level Affliction. I mean, the end result is the same. She's capable with computers, as she finds a Tellu Flower and is able to diagnose it's exact properties.

SAILOR PLUTO (Setsunah Meioh)- Sailor Moon S
Dub Name:
Trista
Role: The Mysterious One, The Unemotive One
Main Fuku Colour: Dark Maroon & Dark Green
Elemental Alignment: Time
Hair Colour: Dark Green
PL 10 (157)
STRENGTH
2/3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+5, +7)
Athletics 6 (+8, +9)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+9)
Deception 5 (+7)
Insight 2 (+6)
Perception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 3 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Pluto Attacks) 3 (+10)
Technology 6 (+10)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Diehard, Equipment 1 (Communicator), Improved Aim, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Well-Informed

Powers:
"Sailor Strength"
Enhanced Strength 1 [2]
Strength-Damage +1 [1]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

"Garnet Rod" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [39]
"Stop Time" Speed 8 (Extras: Affects Others, 30ft. Burst, Selective) (Flaws: Fades) Linked to Quickness 10 (Extras: Affects Others, 30ft. Burst, Selective) (Flaws: Fades) Linked to Enhanced Advantages 3: Evasion 2, Move-By Action (Extras: Affects Others, 30ft. Burst, Selective) (Flaws: Fades) (63) -- (64 points)
  • AE: "Dead Scream!" Blast 10 (Feats: Improved Critical 2) (22)

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Unarmed Senshi +9 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Dead Scream +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +9

Complications (Early):
Power Loss (All Powers)- Sailor Senshi must be able to gesture and speak freely to use their powers. If they are Bound or Snared, they cannot use their attacks easily.
Normal Identity (Meioh Setsunah, Without Power Stick)
Responsibility (Sailor Senshi)- The Senshi are forced to fight evil.
Responsibility (Time)- Sailor Pluto guards the timestream, and is expressively forbidden from using her ultimate power- Freezing Time. So of course she does it.
Secret (Identity)- The Senshi must not reveal their identities to the world at large, nor their villains.
Enemy (The Death Busters)

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 46 / Defenses: 18 (157)
Ken

Post by Ken »

MacynSnow wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:21 pmShe-Ra(don't give me that look, Ken!)
What look? I was in college by then, but I'd tune into She-Ra every now and again.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Tuxedo Mask! Sailors Uranus & Neptune! Sailor Pluto!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

It's a shame Pluto didn't get more, but what we did does have potential (quiet, stoic and with a duty to her job, but also has a caring side, mostly shown with her relationship with "Small Lady") And of course, here's a joke about her having a complication: "Enemy (Neil deGrasse Tyson)".
Davies

Post by Davies »

If I were going to rewrite Sailor Moon (and I did actually come up with an outline for the first season that I might post some time) I think I'd have Setsuna as Sailor Titan (or possibly Ganymede), rather than Pluto. Same power set, though.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Look, the whole “Sailor Pluto” thing was clearly just a weird phase that the Doctor was going through after the Time War. The Doctor was a little bit tired of the United Kingdom and thought to try hanging around on that other tea-loving island archipelago over in the far east...
Jabroniville

Sailor Saturn

Post by Jabroniville »

Art by Okydraft, Sideh, N.Swena & Emcee82.

Sailor Moon: "We are pre-deconstruction and an anime about the power of friendship and love! An uplifting, idealistic show!"
Also Sailor Moon: "I am an emissary from the abyss of death. Protected by Saturn, the Planet of Ruin. I am the Soldier of Silence, Sailor Saturn".

SAILOR SATURN (Hotaru Tomoe)
Dub Name:
Hotaru Tomoe
Role: Impossibly-Innocent Little Girl, Demonic Child, The Senshi of Destruction
Main Fuku Colour: Violet
Elemental Alignment: Blowing Up Planets, I Guess
Hair Colour: Black
PL 14 (136), PL 22 (136) Extinction-Level Event
STRENGTH
-2/1 STAMINA 0/4 AGILITY 0/4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Close Combat (Glaive) 2 (+10)
Deception 2 (+1)
Intimidation 8 (+9)
Perception 4 (+5)
Persuasion 4 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Senshi Attacks) 6 (+10)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment (Communicator), Extraordinary Effort, Fearless, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Startle

Powers:
"Sailor Strength"
Enhanced Strength 3 [6]
Enhanced Stamina 4 [8]
Enhanced Agility 4 [8]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

Healing 6 (Flaws: Limited to Others, Tiring) [3]
Senses 4 (Precognition) (Flaws: Unreliable) [2]

"Silence Glaive" (Flaws: Easily Removable) (Feats: Restricted 2) [55]
"Death Reborn Revolution!" Blast 18 (Feats: Improved Range 5, Improved Critical 2, Penetrating 15) Linked to Weaken Toughness 15 (Feats: Improved Range 5) (Extras: Ranged) (83) -- (88 points)
  • AE: "End the World" Damage 36 (Feats: Penetrating 20) (Flaws: Fatal -3) Linked to Weaken Toughness 25 (Extras: Affects Objects) (82)
  • AE: "Silence Glaive Surprise!" Damage 12 (Feats: Penetrating 12) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Penetrating) (48)
  • AE: "Death Ribbon Revolution!" Damage 11 (Feats: Penetrating 12) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (45)
  • AE: "Smack with Glaive" Strength-Damage +6 (6)
  • AE: "Silence Wall!" Force Field 10 (Feats: Increased Mass 3) (Extras: Affects Others, Impervious 15) (38)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (-2 Damage, DC 13)
Unarmed Senshi +8 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Glaive Slash +10 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Silence Glaive Surprise +12 Area (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Death Reborn Revolution +10 (+18 Ranged Damage & +15 Weaken, DC 33 & 30)
End the World +8 (+36 Damage & +25 Weaken, DC 46 & 35)
Initiative +0 (+4 Senshi)

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +0 (+4 Sailor, +14 Silence Wall), Fortitude +5, Will +7

Complications (Early):
Normal Identity (Tomoe Hotaru, Without Power Stick)
Responsibility (Sailor Senshi)- The Senshi are forced to fight evil, and protect Sailor Moon.
Enemy (Current Big Bad)
---
Responsibility (Sickly)- For years, Hotaru was sickly because she was sharing her body with Mistress 9. She was ST -2, STA -2, AGI -1, and any physicaly exertion would leave her Incapacitated for hours.
Relationship (Chibi-Usa)- The only person not creeped out by Hotaru's magical powers was Chibi-Usa, and this made her eternally grateful for her new friend. Chibi-Usa's friendship is a huge part of what brought Hotaru free out of Mistress 9's body.
Relationship (The Other Sailors)- Hotaru gets along with Chibi-Usa's friends as well, especially Usagi. She eventually grows close with the Outer Sailors (even though they tried to KILL HER).
Relationship (Souichi Tomoe)- Hotaru is very dependant upon her father, who acts kindly to her in person.
---
Responsibility (The Soldier of Destruction/The Dark Messiah)- Hotaru is believed to be the destroyer of the world, and the bringer of the end times.
Enemy (Kaolinite)- The vicious Kaolinite has scolded and admonished Hotaru since she was a little girl, never letting her forget that there was a demon inside of her somewhere.

Total: Abilities: 16 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 86 / Defenses: 11 (136)

Sailor Saturn- The One We're Not Supposed To See A Lot Of:
-They did a really, really good job with Sailor Saturn on this show. Throwing in the last of the Solar System's planets into a Sailor, and making her BY FAR the most powerful, could have been fraught with peril. The fans could have rejected her, and they'd have made a mess fitting her into the stories. So they really worked wonders with her manga & anime selves. I think her few appearances are part of the appeal for the character- she also LOOKS different than the other girls, having extra bits to her costume that the others lack, like a spikier fuku (skirt), shoulder-things sticking out, and more. The giant Silence Glaive is a big bonus, too.

-Hotaru Tomoe debuts as an impossibly-endearing, fragile little girl, desperately lonely and oh, SO eager for friendship. Appearing very gaunt, with a large head (implying youth) and a dark ballerina outfit, she looked vaguely gothic, but also needy and helpless enough that I can buy that the term "Moe" (a weird catch-all for "endearing, emotional little girls that weird older guys are way into in a way that seems kind of creepy but apparently isn't supposed to be so, but I'm really not sure", in anime terms) was invented beacuse of her last name ("Toh-moh-ay"). Hotaru is cheerful and friendly with Chibi-Usa, but appears very frightened and sickly, to the point where she can't be on her own for very long, because any kind of exertion can cause "attacks" that leave her requiring hospitalization.

-It turns out that her father is a kindly old Professor... except he's ALSO the leader of the Death Busters, and a total madman! He plays innocent with her, and in public, while her "caretaker" Kaolinite is a vicious, nasty bitch who constantly browbeats Hotaru for being selfish, cruel and helpless. Hotaru actively hates Kaolinite's intrusion into her life, frequently yelling at her and demanding to be left alone, only for "Kaori" to sneer at her and make fun of her for making "SUCH a face!" when Hotaru gives her the evil eye.

-But then it turns out there's some real darkness here. Hotaru is having an attack, and is in the way of an evil Daimon, and totally doomed! The Sailors are desperate to save her... and then her f*cking eyes light up like Satan himself is empowering her, some creepy "little girl chorus" starts up, and the Daimon is BLASTED with some kind of mysterious energy! And then it happens again in ANOTHER episode! And we get flashbacks to Little Hotaru crying about her dead goldfish, only to be scolded by Kaori for killing it herself. And being in class, asking for her friend, and getting yelled at by the other kids, since they all saw her attack and injure him the day before! She bawls to her father "I feel like there's another person INSIDE of me!", and that she doesn't remember all of these things, and the music gets SO ominous and creepy... there's something really, really wrong going on.

Mistress 9:
-Hotaru turns out to be the "Dark Messiah" (called "Messiah of Silence" in the new dub)- the bringer of The Silence that Sailors Uranus & Neptune have been fearing this entire time. She "speaks" to her father via some speakers by a giant chair covered with stuffed animals, using an "Adult and child speaking at the same time" voice just to ramp up the eeriness EVEN MORE. The Outer Sailors are convinced they have to kill her, while the Inners refuse to be so cruel- Hotaru & Chibi-Usa are friends, after all. Even Hotaru revealing the symbol of Saturn on her forehead- indicating that she is the "Senshi of Destruction" who could destroy planets in the Silver Millennium time period- don't dissuade them.

-Finally, the Outers attempt to kill her, but Sailor Moon saves Hotaru's life. And the stealing of Chibi-Usa's Heart Crystal empowers Hotaru, transforming her into Mistress 9, who slaughters Kaolinite immediately, then brings forth Pharaoh 90 and nearly destroys the world. However, some good old-fashioned "I know you're inside there!" works wonders, and Hotaru is able to break free. Sailor Saturn is finally revealed, using her "Death Reborn Revolution" technique to destroy Pharaoh 90 and save the world alongside Sailor Moon. Saturn thanks Sailor Moon for protecting her life, then fades away, leaving only an infant Hotaru, reborn.

Super S & Sailor Stars:
-Baby Hotaru is raised by Uranus, Pluto & Neptune (manga, where her father is stated to be dead the second he summoned Mistress 9 & Pharaoh 90) and an amnesiac Professor Tomoe (anime), until Sailor Moon SuperS needs to get all the Sailors together as a plot convenience- in the manga, she ages herself back into Sailor Saturn and re-powers the other Sailors (who'd been de-powered at the end of S)- together, they join the fight against the Dead Moon Circus. In the anime, she has to wait until Sailor Stars, when Uranus & Neptune abruptly go "We're gonna need this; kthanxbai" to the Professor and age up Hotaru themselves, then go fight Queen Nehellenia. However, she is a mere "assister character" from this point on, rarely mattering overly much to the plot. In the manga, she is easily beaten by Sailor Galaxia and killed.

-This season was pretty big for actually having Sailor Saturn do stuff on camera. She is attacked in infant form, but then THAT DAMN MUSIC PLAYS and she shoots out an energy blast that wipes out one of Nehelennia's minions. She quickly ages to toddler-sized in front of the shocked Outer Senshi. And then she gets older and older, speaking in haunting significance about what's going to happen- she ultimately joins the eleven Sailors against Nehelennia. When Mamoru starts to break through the mind control that the Queen SWORE was unbreakable, Saturn calls out "Silence... WALL!" to block her energy reapplying itself, thus giving Saturn more to do in fights than "off-screen-kill" Pharaoh 90. Then she threatens to unleash the "Power of Destruction", while the Queen mocks her- "Do you think I don't know?". Of course, she realizes that the power would kill Saturn, too! The Queen smirks until Saturn uses the same eyes Mercury and the others used, and gets this great look of "ah, f*ck- she's not bluffing". "Silence Glaive SURPRISE!" shatters the entire castle (with the sound going out halfway through the blast so it sounds even BIGGER), but Chibi-Moon saves her friend before it gets out of control!

-Alas, this great moment... is about all she gets. Though she's instrumental to saving the day and Nehelennia's threat is over, she spends the next twenty-plus episodes doing NOTHING, as she isn't even a side or supporting character (that her best friend has gone away off-camera doesn't help). She doesn't do a damn thing until the very end, gathering with the other Outers... to watch the Inner Senshi die against Queen Galaxia. Feeling their Star Seeds go out, the horrified Sailors attack, but before Sailor Saturn can even do a single MOVE, she and Pluto are killed by Sailors Uranus & Neptune as part of a ruse to trick Galaxia... who kills them anyways. And that's it. One of the coolest, most unique characters ever created and she can't even do a single attack to the mega-villain before she's wiped out.

The Powers of Saturn:
-Sailor Saturn breaks the standard for Senshi, largely because of her mess of weird powers, and her lack of physicality. She's so weak physically that she's useless with anything but her powers, but MAN, what powers. She tends not to use Death Reborn Revolution EVER except for that one time against Master Pharaoh 90 (and seriously, how is "Death Reborn Revolution" NOT the most bad-ass sounding attack name in history?), but it's her key effect- it's not seen in the anime. Instead, you just witness a battle with a lot of energy blasts slicing along Pharaoh 90's form. In the manga, he explicitly cries out in pain that she's draining his life force away- he shrinks and shrinks, eventually removing himself from Earth, and Sailors Saturn & Moon finish him off.

-The rest of her techniques are common Blasts (Death Ribbon Revolution is an "Energy Wave" attack from the Fighting Game), and a really good Force Field that makes her a top flight team player (on two separate occasions, it saves other characters from Sailor Galaxia's attacks). Still, I wouldn't recommend tossing a PL 14 character ANYWHERE near this crew, even if that power had a huge amount of Flaws attached to it.

-Obviously, her "Destroy the World" power is one of those things that's unlikely to come up in the game, as it never really got used as anything other than a plot device, so it's barely worth putting down. Only used once in the manga, it finished off the Moon Kingdom after the deaths of all the major characters, allowing them to be reborn in the later Millennium. 'Course, once the Planet goes, the wielder of the attack would probably die, thus making it pretty much fatal to poor Saturn as well :). Note: Don't try to use this in a game. It's quite impolite to the other players.

-If you wanna blow up the planet like an Area Attack, you can do it like so: "End the World" Damage 30 (Feats: Penetrating 20) (Extras: Area- 8,000 miles +22) (Flaws: Fatal -3) (620 points). The Earth is 7,900-ish miles in diameter, but since you'd be standing on one edge of it, you'd "only" get 4,000 miles deep- which is probably enough to crack it anyways. This is obviously WAY more expensive than just putting together enough raw power to do it- it's actually not that difficult using M&M stats (a high enough-damage attack will take out even a planetoid made out of rock & mantle), though most GMs probably wouldn't allow it.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Sailors Uranus & Neptune! Sailor Pluto! Sailor Saturn!)

Post by Jabroniville »

The brilliant Mako/Ami dance scene, and Mako's heartbreaking reaction to Tiger's Eye flirting with her:

Davies

Re: Sailor Saturn

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:49 am Image
"Abashed the devil stood/And felt how aweful goodness is, and saw/Virtue in her shape how lovely; saw, and pined/His loss"
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Batgirl III

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Sailors Uranus & Neptune! Sailor Pluto! Sailor Saturn!)

Post by Batgirl III »