Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Casablanca! Cerebro! Lupin III! Mega Man 1 & 2!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Woodclaw wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:49 pm
It's possible, since 99.9% of the episodes of Lupin III were self-contained and very much incoherent. In one episode of the red jacket series she even dress up as Supergirl.
Oh hey- I'm suddenly reminded of a pair of "Woodclaw Moments":

* You giving me the info for that entire band of guys in Euroforce and their sister-team, necessitating me doing almost completely blind builds of those characters. And of course they've never shown up again, and always confuse me when I see them on my big bio-lists :).

* When Thorp posted builds of The Long Halloween, you expressed disgust over DC naming a Mafia princess/enforcer Sofia Gigante, as that was the surname of a famous, heroic anti-Mafia crusader who was assassinated in Italy. Years later, I remembered that this character was probably more inspired by the famous American Mafiosi, Vincent "The Chin" Gigante, whose antics included pretending to be crazy to deflect attention (a trick copied by Uncle Junior in The Sopranos years later).

I noticed this YEARS after you made the point, and totally wanted to pull a "George Costanza" and tell you about it, but you'd been gone by then. It bugged me for years. So now you know :).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Mega Man Killers

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

Enker has the spear, Ballade the spikes, and Punk the crescent.

THE MEGA MAN KILLERS (Mega Man Game Boy Series)
PL 10 (117)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA -- AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Intimidation 4 (+4)
Perception 3 (+3)
Technology 3 (+3)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Defensive Attack, Equipment 10 ("Nintendo Hard" Base), Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Startle

Powers:
"Robot Master Frame"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
"Robotic Frame" Protection 8 [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +8, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Enemy (Mega Man)

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 40 / Defenses: 14 (117)

-The Mega Man Killers come from the trio of Mega Man games for the Game Boy. They typically took the Robot Masters from a few NES games to form the bosses, but these guys were new. The first game featured Enker, the second Punk, and the third Ballade. All three reappeared in Mega Man V for Game Boy, and were included as Downloadable Content on Mega Man 10.

Mega Man Killers:
ENKER- PL 10 (130): "Mirror Buster" Deflect 10 (Extras: Reflection), AE: Blast 8 (Easily Removable) [13]
-Enker is anti-social, devoting all of his energy to killing Mega Man. He absorbs projectiles using his spear, then blasts out attacks. He bestows the Shield Barrier- a Line-Area Attack.
PUNK- PL 9 (209): Immunity 80 (All Damage) (Drawbacks: Not the Mega Buster -5), "Screw Crusher" Blast 8, "Spin Dash" Strength-Damage +2 [92]
-Punk is covered in spikes, and invincible to anything but the Mega Buster. He's apparently rather easy to beat, though, as his attacks are pretty narrow. His "Screw Crusher" bestows upon Mega Man a little "lob"-type attack, which is pretty handy, given all the enemies who stand atop platforms.
BALLADE- PL 10 (128): Close Attack 2, "Ballade Cracker" Damage 8 (Triggered: Time) [11]
-Ballade is very jumpy, erratic and dash-y, making him hard to avoid. This gives him extra accuracy, plus the Ballade Cracker, which is basically a time bomb he leaves behind him.

QUINT- PL 10 (132): "Sakagume- Jackhammer Robot" Blast 8 (Accurate, Multiattack) (Easily Removable) [15]
-Quint isn't one of the Mega Man Killers, but takes up the same role in the second Game Boy game. He hails from the future, and is actually Mega Man himself! Dr. Wily went to the peaceful future, and convinced his good-guy future self (who'd given up on crime) to attack a now-helpless Mega Man (who had gotten rid of his weapons, not needing them any longer), brainwashing him and turning him into Quint. He appears in a few other games, having escaped capture or defeat. He uses a Jackhammer Robot to fire debris at the hero. His weakness is the Hard Knuckle. In Mega Man V, it is the Photon Missile.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Capt. Scarlet! Casablanca! Cerebro! Lupin III!)

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:54 pm An interesting note about the first Mega Man game: There was actually a removed Robot Master, known as Bond Man. See, the story is, there were originally meant to be 8 Robot Masters, but technical limitations meant they could only have 6. The trouble was, they'd already designed 7, so they had to drop one of them, and Bond Man was it. He's quite the mystery, and was considered to be put in Powered Up, but Inafune wanted to leave him as the "legend" that he was. His weapon was shooting glue at Mega Man to keep him in place, so a Contagious Snare on top of the usual template should do the trick. There's no offical name for his weapon, but some people use "Bonding Glue".

It's good that you're including the Wonderswan guys, too, but I'm also curious if you'll include the others I mentioned (Duo, the four Dark Men, Fake Man, Doc Robot, and the Genesis Unit) Doc Robot is basically just the Template with a random MM2 Robot Master's weapon loaded onto it, though the comics version is loaded with all of the MM2 weapons at once, making for a formidable opponent, but also struggles with their personalities surfacing and conflicting.
... huh. Looking at those names, I either discounted them for reasons I can't recall, or never noticed them. I made a pretty big list on paper of names to search out, but these ones don't seem familiar. I can take another look.
Jabroniville

The Stardroids

Post by Jabroniville »

Top Row: Mercury, Venus, Mars, Pluto
Middle: Terra
Bottom Row: Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune

THE STARDROIDS (Mega Man V)
PL 10 (118)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA -- AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Expertise (History) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+4)
Perception 3 (+3)
Ranged Combat (Chosen Attack) 2 (+10)
Technology 3 (+3)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Defensive Attack, Equipment 10 ("Nintendo Hard" Base), Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 7, Startle

Powers:
"Robot Master Frame"
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
"Robotic Frame" Protection 8 [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +8, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Vulnerable (Various)

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 22 / Powers: 40 + xx / Defenses: 12 (118)

-The Stardroids hail from Mega Man V, the final Game Boy game, which depicts them as a band of alien robots reprogrammed by Dr. Wily. They're a pretty tricky bunch, but have a standard Template like the Robot Masters do.

Stardroids:
JUPITER- PL 10 (153): Damage 10 (Cylinder), Blast 6 (Multiattack), Flight 5 [35]
-Jupiter is weak to the Bubble Bomb, and bestows the Electric Shock (Line Damage 8).

SATURN- PL 9 (130): Move Object 8 (Cone, Limited to Towards Self), "Ring Toss" Blast 8, Blast 6 (Multiattack) (Easily Removable) [12]
-Saturn is weak to the Electric Shock, and bestows the Black Hole (Burst Damage- Limited to Smaller Enemies), which sucks enemies into a Black Hole, destroying them. His ring is actually a mobile Device that he can throw around.

URANUS- PL 10 (122): ST +2, Protection 10, Defenses -1 [4]
-Uranus throws blocks around, and is bigger than most of the other Stardroids. His stage is also full of hazards that generate when he stomps. He is weak to the Break Dash, and bestows the Deep Digger (Pick Up & Throw Objects).

PLUTO- PL 10 (144): Blast 10, Wall-Crawling, Leaping 4 [26]
-Pluto is weak to the Grab Buster, and bestows the Break Dash (Speed 3 Linked to Line Damage 7). Despite his furry outfit, he apparently hates the cold.

MERCURY- PL 10 (140): "Three Balls" Blast 9 (Split 2), "Grab Buster" Move Object 6 (Area, Improved Disarm), Blast 6 (Multiattack) [22]
-Mercury is weak to the Black Hole, but it's recommended to take him on first, as the Mega Buster can still do the job. He bestows the Grab Buster (Blast 8 Linked to Healing 5), the only attack I can think of that heals the hero.

VENUS- PL 10 (145): ST +1, Protection 9, Leaping 4, "Homing Bombs" Blast 9 (Homing 2) [27]
-Venus is weak to the Photon Missile, and bestows the Bubble Bomb (Blast 8- Triggered by Time).

MARS- PL 10 (142): Blast 6 (Multiattack), "Big Rockets" Blast 10, Speed 2, "Landmines" Damage 8 (Triggered- Time) [24]
-Mars is weak to Salt Water, and bestows the Photon Missile (Blast 9).

NEPTUNE- PL 9 (145): Damage 8 (Multiattack), Leaping 3 [27]
-Neptune is weak to the Spark Chaser, and bestows the Salt Water (Blast 8- Multiattack).

TERRA- PL 10 (156): INT 2, AWA 2, PRE 2, Defenses +2, "Spark Chaser" Blast 9 (Homing), Affliction 10 (Dazed & Vuln./Stunned & Defenseless/Paralyzed), "Warp" Teleport 4 (Change Direction) [38]
-Terra ("Earth" in Japan) is the leader of the Stardroids, and can teleport about the stage to better avoid damage. He is weak to the Deep Digger, and bestows the Spark Chaser- a Homing Laser.

SUNSTAR- PL 11 (155): ST +2, Protection 10, Blast 12, "Orbs" Blast 9 (Multiattack), "Burning Rain" Burst Damage 6, Speed 2 [37]
-The final boss of Mega Man V, Sunstar ("Sungod" in Japan) has three styles of combat, and turns on Dr. Wily, still fighting Mega Man because the strong must always defeat "inferior life forms" and junk. He is surprised, when defeated, that Mega Man would show him kindness and offer to arrange for his repairs... however, it's too late, and his engine detonates, wiping out Dr. Wily's base. In the first phase of the battle, he alternates between a big Laser Beam, a Dash, and three moving Orbs. The second phase involves a lot of Multiattacks and leaping about. Finally, he will turn into a rushing fireball.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab's Builds! (Capt. Scarlet! Casablanca! Cerebro! Lupin III!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:22 am
KorokoMystia wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:54 pm An interesting note about the first Mega Man game: There was actually a removed Robot Master, known as Bond Man. See, the story is, there were originally meant to be 8 Robot Masters, but technical limitations meant they could only have 6. The trouble was, they'd already designed 7, so they had to drop one of them, and Bond Man was it. He's quite the mystery, and was considered to be put in Powered Up, but Inafune wanted to leave him as the "legend" that he was. His weapon was shooting glue at Mega Man to keep him in place, so a Contagious Snare on top of the usual template should do the trick. There's no offical name for his weapon, but some people use "Bonding Glue".

It's good that you're including the Wonderswan guys, too, but I'm also curious if you'll include the others I mentioned (Duo, the four Dark Men, Fake Man, Doc Robot, and the Genesis Unit) Doc Robot is basically just the Template with a random MM2 Robot Master's weapon loaded onto it, though the comics version is loaded with all of the MM2 weapons at once, making for a formidable opponent, but also struggles with their personalities surfacing and conflicting.
... huh. Looking at those names, I either discounted them for reasons I can't recall, or never noticed them. I made a pretty big list on paper of names to search out, but these ones don't seem familiar. I can take another look.
Huh. I can help you with that, too.

Duo: Some kinda space cop, appears as a major character in MM8 and is a boss, but doesn't do much after that, being playable in one of the Power Battles games and in Megaman Battle & Chase (a kart racer for PS1)
The Dark Men: The four fortress bosses of Proto Man's castle in MM5. Dark Man 4 disguises himself as Proto Man, setting off the entire game's plot, while Dark Man 2 appeared in the cartoon.
Fake Man: A fake police robot built by Wily to fool Mega Man and Light. Appears as the boss of the DLC "Special Stage" in MM9. His weapon is the Revolver Buster, which is simply a Multiattack arm cannon.
Doc Robot: Appears in MM3, and is fought 8 times, each time using a different MM2 Robot Master's weapon. In the comics, he has all of them at once. Probably not worth giving a full build, just some notes, as he'd just be the Template with the addition of the MM2 weapons.
The Genesis Unit: A trio of bosses from the "Mega Man: The Wily Wars" compliation for Genesis/Mega Drive that contained MM1, 2, and 3, which actually added all-new stages and bosses after you beat all three games. The three bots are based on Journey To The West. Notably, Hyper Storm H is so big and durable he has TWO HEALTH BARS!

At this rate, I may as well just post the MM wiki's list of robot masters, too.

Also, the Archie comic once gave us this:
BriarThrone

Re: Jab's Builds! (Casablanca! Cerebro! Lupin III! Mega Man 1 & 2!)

Post by BriarThrone »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:11 am All right. I see your Duane and Brand0, and raise you this. In particular, I raise you this.

And I've always liked this, too.
Okay, we're talking serious Mega Man music, and didn't start with The Protomen? What world are we living in?
Jabroniville

Mega Man

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

MEGA MAN (aka Rockman)
PL 10 (162)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA -- AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+10)
Expertise (Current Events) 4 (+6)
Perception 3 (+6)
Persuasion 3 (+6)
Technology 3 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Defensive Attack, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Mega Blaster), Improved Smash, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Ranged Attack 10

Powers:
Protection 6 [6]
"Gyros & Stuff" Power-Lifting 3 [3]

"Robot Master Weapons"
Summon Minion 6 (Rush) (Extras: Heroic +2, Controlled) (30) -- [40]
  • AE: 8 Robot Master Weapons (32 pp maximum)
  • AE: "Mega Buster" Blast 5 (Extras: Multiattack) (15)
  • AE: "Mega Buster Charge" Blast 7 (Flaws: Requires Full-Round Charge) (7)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Mega Buster +12 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Charged Buster +12 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +6, Fortitude --, Will +10

Complications:
Enemy (Dr. Wily)
Relationship (Dr. Light, Roll, Rush)
Power Loss (Special Weapons)- While the Mega Buster never loses energy, the Robot Master weapons and Rush always will- E-tanks will be needed to refill them.
Vulnerable (Spikes)- Giant flame blasts, bombs, dragon's fire and falling rocks? All low-yield attacks. Tiny spikes on the floor? Insta-kill.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 79 / Defenses: 17 (162)

-Mega Man is one of the greatest video game characters ever- not that he gets a ton of characterization most of the time. He's just Dr. Light's helper-bot, kitted out with a bad-ass weapon (and the ability to copy the bosses' weapons after defeating them), and sent off to fight a generic Mad Scientist and his minions in their never-ending quests to take over the world. But that little "hook" (copying the bosses' powers, then using them against a Boss who was weak against that particular weapon) was all the series needed to blast off into the stratosphere, making him one of the top five most-recurring video game characters in history, EASILY. His spin-offs are colossal in number (Mega Man X, Zero, Battle Network, etc.), his side-games are even crazier (Mega Man SOCCER?), and he's overall pretty cool for a tiny little dude who looks like an Astro Boy Clone in blue underpants (apparently this was gonna be a Mighty Atom game at first).

-Mega Man initially stats out like a PL 8.5-9.5 offensive and PL 9 defensive Blaster archetype, focusing on accuracy, but with the Robot Masters' powers, he can shift up to PL 9-10 on offense easily. I decided to make it a simple semi-pricey power (most are around 20 points, but some go above 30 pp), with the Mega Buster and the others as Alternate Effects, though summoning Rush is the most expensive ability. This allows for a balanced, near-starter-P.C. PL 10 build by the last level of the game. The Ruby Spears cartoon (which really, really sucked, let me tell you) had him just run up and use a Touch-Range Mimic power on the bosses, as they were recurring foes, but since Mega often only gained CERTAIN abilities and specific weapons in-game, I'm using that to stat up Mega Man as if he was at the end of the game, ready to fight Doctor Wily. Note that in some games, the Robot Master Weapon's max-value is less, so he might not make all his points unless you throw in some more Advantages and higher Saves.

For a more "TV Cartoon"-happy Mega Man, and not the version you see in the video games, try this alteration:
"Copy Robot Master Weapons"
Variable 6 (Any One Power) (Extras: Continuous) (Flaws: Limited to Robot Masters, Limited to Last Robot Master Touched) [36]
He also loses out on Rush as a Summon, and uses him more as a Sidekick or partner.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab's Builds! (Lupin III! Mega Man 2 & 3! Stardroids! Mega Man!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

Ah, Mega himself. He really is a classic video game hero. The whole "pick whatever stage you want and get a unique weapon from each" thing was really a genius formula. It's a shame Capcom seems to not care about the franchise anymore, aside from releasing re-releases of the old games. There's a new cartoon coming out next year, but...I doubt it'll be good. I dunno if the "Mega Man was originally meant to be a Astro Boy game" thing is true, though.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/megaman-enemies/

I figured this was as good a place as any to post this. As a kid I was OBSESSED with this contest in Nintendo Power
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

HalloweenJack wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:35 pm http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/megaman-enemies/

I figured this was as good a place as any to post this. As a kid I was OBSESSED with this contest in Nintendo Power
This honestly makes me want to try statting some fan-made robot masters. If Jab doesn't mind me using the template, of course.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Hah- go ahead!
Jabroniville

Rush

Post by Jabroniville »

RUSH
PL 8 (79)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA -- AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -3 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Insight 4 (+5)
Perception 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Trip

Powers:
Protection 6 [6]

Leaping 4 (Extras: Affects Others Only +0) [4]
Swimming 3 [3]
Flight 4 (30 mph) [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +6, Fortitude --, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Mega Man)

Total: Abilities: 10 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 51 / Defenses: 12 (79)

-Rush is Mega Man's ultra-popular sidekick, though I never played any of the games that included him, so I can't count myself among the nostalgic.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:58 pm Ah, Mega himself. He really is a classic video game hero. The whole "pick whatever stage you want and get a unique weapon from each" thing was really a genius formula. It's a shame Capcom seems to not care about the franchise anymore, aside from releasing re-releases of the old games. There's a new cartoon coming out next year, but...I doubt it'll be good. I dunno if the "Mega Man was originally meant to be a Astro Boy game" thing is true, though.
Now I can't remember where I first heard that. I think that's a relic of my 2010 Mega Man build!
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:12 pm
KorokoMystia wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:58 pm Ah, Mega himself. He really is a classic video game hero. The whole "pick whatever stage you want and get a unique weapon from each" thing was really a genius formula. It's a shame Capcom seems to not care about the franchise anymore, aside from releasing re-releases of the old games. There's a new cartoon coming out next year, but...I doubt it'll be good. I dunno if the "Mega Man was originally meant to be a Astro Boy game" thing is true, though.
Now I can't remember where I first heard that. I think that's a relic of my 2010 Mega Man build!
It's something that's pretty commonly repeated and I've seen it a few times elsewhere. Whether it's true or not isn't something I can corroborate, but it was pretty obviously an inspiration.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
Jabroniville

Mega Man 4

Post by Jabroniville »

MEGA MAN 4:
Now we come to Mega Man 4 and its villains (I'll get to Proto Man in a bit). Now, Pt. 4 is still a very good game, but it's also pretty much the cusp of the Mega Man series, and a super example of Capcom's copycat policy, which is what started making them notorious- my Elementary & Middle School buddies were pretty much all "They're all the same!" by this point. 

See, Mega Man was the first game, so is it's own unique animal. The second brought in EIGHT Robot Masters, the best music of the entire series, and the hardest final level run in the series' history as well. The third was basically like Pt. 2, but introduced Rush and the Slide, both of which revolutionized how the game was played. Part 4... was basically like Part 3, but now you can charge the Mega Buster to do more damage. That was KIND OF big in a way, but not the game-shifting change some were expecting. Nothing really new added, and some villains were just re-treads of old ones. It DOES have two of my favourite Robot Master designs of all time in it, though- Skull Man and Pharaoh Man are the most bad-ass looking ones ever.