Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Spectrum

Re: Jab's Builds! (Evil Queen! Pinocchio! Chernabog! Bambi!)

Post by Spectrum »

From what I hear, deer are just about the right height for you to cut through their legs so that the heavier upper body flies right through your car window.

Armadillos have a brilliant survival mechanism. You provoke them enough, they jump. Not high, just oh.. about the height of an average car front fender.

Incredibly stupid squirrels are a real nuisance in the local area. Constantly seeing them flat on the roads around here. No, I've got to be special. One fell out of a tree right in front of me.. and right into my front fender.

Wildlife and vehicles don't mix.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

A deer took out my head-light once. I barely clipped it too.

On a more serious notes. Mosquitoes actually kill more people than any other animal. Leastaways according to a quick 'net search.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Jabroniville

The Great Prince

Post by Jabroniville »

THE GREAT PRINCE OF THE FOREST
Played By:
Fred Shields (Patrick Stewart in the sequel!)
Role: The Deadbeat Dad, Stern Father Figure
PL 7 (76)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+8)
Close Combat (Antlers) 2 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+6, +7 Growth)
Perception 6 (+6)
Stealth 4 (+2 Size)

Advantages:
Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Antlers), Startle

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute Scent, Low-Light Vision, Radius Sight) [3]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 2 [2]
"Antlers" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) [2]

"Natural Size" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (8 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Antlers +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +5, Fortitude +7, Will +7

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Deer cannot speak to humans, nor use their hooves to easily manipulate objects.
Responsibility (The Rut)- During mating season, males of the Cervidae Family will go all-out in competing with each other for the ladies. These take the form of brutal head-butting contests that leave them exhausted, and some dead.
Enemy (Man)- When Man enters the forest, all the animals flee.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 12 / Defenses: 11 (76)

-The Great Prince of the Forest was pretty bad-ass, really. He didn't hang out with his son much (these sorta acted like real deer for a while), but took over parenting duties when one of his many wives took a bullet, and he's generally a better, stronge, wiser version of Bambi. Also, why the frig is he called THE GREAT PRINCE if he's the oldest & wisest Deer in the forest. Dude should be a KING.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

kirinke wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:51 am A deer took out my head-light once. I barely clipped it too.

On a more serious notes. Mosquitoes actually kill more people than any other animal. Leastaways according to a quick 'net search.
A moose once bit my sister.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I've got to admit, I was always someone who found the "Baby Mine" scene from Dumbo WAY more heartbreaking and traumatizing than the scene where Bambi loses his mom. Logically, a mother dying should be worse, but that damn song just gets me every time. Dumbo and his mom just want to be together and they're both RIGHT THERE and everyone else gets to be with their mom and I'm not crying, YOU'RE CRYING, shut up.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

THE "COLLECTIONS OF SHORTS" ERA:
-Falling fortunes and World War II put a lot of studios in dire financial straights, and Disney was no exception. Therefore, some cost-cutting measures were taken with the next handful of pictures, starting with Saludos Amigos. These are the World War II-era films that Disney had to settle for after the war cut their funding and most people's access to movie theatres. I'd never seen a damn one of them, to be honest, because Disney seems hesitant to re-release any of them, and they appear in about zero of the advertising. Hell, even in DISNEYLAND you won't find any merch related to these films. The most I know about them is that the Parrot from Three Caballeros ended up becoming a super-popular character in Brazil, gaining an ongoing comic book series that portrays him as one of the elite Disney Canon characters- thank you, TV Tropes.

I did end up managing to see the Latin American duo of films, thanks to the local video store, at least.

So this next batch will largely be "These Movies Existed", with no builds. Try to hide your disappointment :).
Jabroniville

Saludos Amigos

Post by Jabroniville »

SALUDOS AMIGOS (1942):
Written By: Homer Brightman, William Cottrell, Richard Huemer, Joe Grant, Harold Reeves, Ted Sears, Webb Smith, Roy Williams & Ralph Wright

-Translated as Greetings, Friends, this one was the first in the "Collections of Shorts" era, as Walt Disney sent his animators on a "Good Neighbor Policy" visit to Latin America during the second World War (an attempt to re-convince various countries to stay on the Allied side during the war, as some nations were quite close to Nazi Germany). It features four sections- Donald Duck stars in two segments, and Goofy stars in one, while the fourth stars Pedro, a tiny "Little Engine That Could" airplane. The film debuts Jose Carioca, a Brazilian cigar-smoking parrot, as a friend to Donald, and is a shocking FORTY-TWO MINUTES LONG. Completed during the infamous labor strike at the Disney Studios, the movie is largely ignored in the canon today, but did well enough.

Reception and Cultural Impact:
-Basically zero, though the movie did well enough that Disney promptly greenlit a similar movie, coming out two years later, called The Three Caballeros. Nowadays, you're likely to see the two movies released simultaneously (two of the four home video releases were like that). Carioca remains very popular in his "native" Brazil, where he's still starring in comic books to this day! The movie's bit with the airplane caused one cartoonist to create Condorito in response, and that character ended up becoming a "ubiquitous" (apparently) character in Latin America.

For many years, it was the hardest Disney Feature to find anywhere- a legal copy wasn't released to home video until *1995*, contrasting the more popular and well-known Three Caballeros.
Jabroniville

Three Caballeros

Post by Jabroniville »

THE THREE CABALLEROS (1944):
Written By: Homer Brightman, Ernest Terrazas, Del Connell, Elmer Plummer, James Bodrero, William Cottrell, Richard Huemer, Ted Sears, Webb Smith, Roy Williams & Ralph Wright

-A sequel of sorts to Saludos Amigos, this one is also a series of Animated Shorts made on the cheap, this time featuring Donald Duck in a starring role. He and Jose Carioca are now joined by Panchito Pistoles, who represents Mexico. The three become "Caballeros", giving us the semi-iconic shot of the three of them each holding up three fingers in unison. I remember seeing this A LOT back in the day, but never actually WATCHING the damn thing- it was either during a big advertising push, or because my family had the VHS and I just happened to see it sitting around all the time. The feature consists of seven shorts, some of which feature live action actors (the first time the two styles of film had intermingled in a feature production). Some are just documentary-style features, while others are cartoons.

-The movie retained a bit of popularity, but wasn't otherwise that notable to most (some critics boo-hooed its emphasis on flashy gimmicks and zany animation over concentrated storytelling). It was easier to find on video than Saludos Amigos, however, and the characters feature a bit in the Mexican Pavilion of EPCOT's World Showcase, as they were the sole Disney thing to focus on Mexico until Pixar's Coco was released in 2018. An actual Dark Ride, though Disney's most boring and obscure EVER, was created in 2007 for the Pavilion.
Woodclaw

Re: Three Caballeros

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:52 am Image

THE THREE CABALLEROS (1944):
Written By: Homer Brightman, Ernest Terrazas, Del Connell, Elmer Plummer, James Bodrero, William Cottrell, Richard Huemer, Ted Sears, Webb Smith, Roy Williams & Ralph Wright

-A sequel of sorts to Saludos Amigos, this one is also a series of Animated Shorts made on the cheap, this time featuring Donald Duck in a starring role. He and Jose Carioca are now joined by Panchito Pistoles, who represents Mexico. The three become "Caballeros", giving us the semi-iconic shot of the three of them each holding up three fingers in unison. I remember seeing this A LOT back in the day, but never actually WATCHING the damn thing- it was either during a big advertising push, or because my family had the VHS and I just happened to see it sitting around all the time. The feature consists of seven shorts, some of which feature live action actors (the first time the two styles of film had intermingled in a feature production). Some are just documentary-style features, while others are cartoons.

-The movie retained a bit of popularity, but wasn't otherwise that notable to most (some critics boo-hooed its emphasis on flashy gimmicks and zany animation over concentrated storytelling). It was easier to find on video than Saludos Amigos, however, and the characters feature a bit in the Mexican Pavilion of EPCOT's World Showcase, as they were the sole Disney thing to focus on Mexico until Pixar's Coco was released in 2018. An actual Dark Ride, though Disney's most boring and obscure EVER, was created in 2007 for the Pavilion.
The Caballeros had a bit more luck, but only just in comicbook format. Keno Don Rosa -- possibly the most influential Duck writer ever after Carl Barks himself -- reintroduced Jose and Pachito in two stories The Three Caballeros Rides Again (2000) and The Seven (Minus Four) Caballeros (2005). Both stories are a notable exception to Rosa personal rule of considering only characters and stories from Barks "canon". The cartoonist admited that he did so for two reasons: first, the original animation was probably his favorite Disney movie when he was a kid; second, he really wanted to write some stories about Donald Duck and his friends, but he utterly despised the idea of having Mickey and Goofy showing up.
The truly great thing about these two stories is how Panchito and Jose pretty much hero-worship Donald for being able to be both a single parent and an accomplished adventurer, while the two of them pretty much live hand to mouth.

According to what I read Panchito and Jose are quite popular in South America, although Jose pretty much became a slacker version of Donald.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

I remember seeing The Three Caballeros in the long, long gone local theater in my childhood hometown. I knew even then it was an old film, but my buddies and I didn't really have a whole lot of choices in those days-it was the only game in town, because the nearest big chain movie place was several miles away. I think the theater carried three movies at a time, and showed a lot of kid-oriented films on Sat and Sun matinees. It rarely got much in the way of 'A'-list, first run films, because the family that owned it didn't have the money for those, so our town got the "big" movies weeks or months after the cities. One HUGE exception was Star Wars, because NO ONE thought this was going to be anything but a two-week in the theaters sci-fi B-movie. And we all know what came after that.

And man-I've never seen Fantasia in full, but I did see the "Night on Bald Mountain" sequence on TV in my dim past, and forgot how Nightmare Fuel it was-I saw it again on Youtube last night, and frigging Chernobog (the Slavic god of darkness and evil) still comes across as menacing-the malevolent bastard even torments his own ghastly minions!

Huh, funny how Disney actually has done a fair number of high-powered fantasy characters in their films-Maleficent, Merlin, Ursula, The Genie, Hercules, Hades, Elsa (whose UNTRAINED magic blows away the likes of other Disney sorcerers/witches)...never thought of the fairy tale material as being up there with comics in terms of powerhouse figures. Go figure.

All my best.
Shock

Post by Shock »

When I was a kid, I'm pretty sure I thought The Three Caballeros was a knock-off of The Three Amigos.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

kirinke wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:51 am A deer took out my head-light once. I barely clipped it too.
Same thing here, except instead of just a headlight the damn thing spun and then slammed into the passenger side door, caving it in and totaling my car... Funny thing, my friend and his girlfriend were in the car and even though I told her my friend had "shotgun for live" privileges, she demanded that she get the front seat... Never heard anyone scream so loudly :lol:.

I actually didn't cry when Bambi's mom died when I first watched it. I'm thinking maybe because it happened off-screen, but most likely it was because I was still emotionally numb from having read and then watched Old Yeller earlier... :(
Formerly luketheduke86
Jabroniville

Make Mine Music

Post by Jabroniville »

MAKE MINE MUSIC (1946):
Written By: Homer Brightman, Erwin Graham, Eric Gurney, T. Hee, Sylvia Holland, Dick Huemer, Dick Kelsey, Jesse Marsh, James Bordrero, Erdman Penner, Harry Reeves, Dick Shaw, Tom Oreb, John Walbridge & Roy Williams

-If you REALLY wanna stump a Disneyphile, you bring up one of THESE three pictures- this one, and the next two in the Animated Canon. Make Mine Music is another collection of shorts, removing the Artistic Credibility of Fantasia and just making it a bunch of stuff. It's one of the only films in the canon I've never seen, and features ten short segments, none of which have had much impact.

-The movie made money, but has largely vanished from history, with none of the segments or characters being particularly memorable (the previous two Anthology pictures were centered around Donald Duck). It's almost never been released on home video, and has often been edited (due to comic gunplay in one sequence, and mild female nudity- a woman's bare back, complete with side-boob- in another).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Fun & Fancy Free

Post by Jabroniville »

FUN AND FANCY FREE (1947):
Written By: Homer Brightman, Eldon Dedini, Lance Nolley, Tom Oreb, Harry Reeves & Ted Sears

-Another mostly forgotten film, Fun and Fancy Free contains two stories, narrated by famous puppeteer Edgar Bergen and two of his puppets (who the f*ck would want to watch a guy and two puppets narrate a film? That'd NEVER sell!). One is Sinclair Lewis's Little Bear Bongo (in which a circus bear learns the meaning of how to fight, and wins himself a mate), while the other is Mickey and the Beanstalk, featuring Disney's "Big Three" heading up the beanstalk. Both features were originally going to be separate things, but Walt felt that since the animation was unsophisticated compared to the usual, that they should instead be packaged together. Notably, the film would be the last regular appearance of Walt himself as the voice for Mickey Mouse- he no longer had the time to perform him after this.

-Like the other "Package Film" anthologies, it made money (enough to help finance the later, more respectable pictures), but isn't otherwise that notable. The Beanstalk story, at least, has been replicated in many places, and is probably more famous than the actual movie itself! Looking it up, it's actually largely separate from F&FF in Home Video releases, being placed onto anthologies elsewhere. The giant from the Beanstalk segment actually appears in a store in Walt Disney World's Fantasyland, peering out at shoppers in a shop devoted to knightly, heroic stuff.
Jabroniville

Song of the South

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImageImage

THE SONG OF THE SOUTH (1946):
Written by:
John Chandler Harris (original stories), Dalton Reymond, Maurice Rapf, Callum Webb

And now we come to the most controversial and well-hidden of the entire Disney ouvre. This is effectively a Live Action Film that just has a handful of shorts (totalling 25 minutes in length) featuring Br'er Rabbit and friends, based off of the old Uncle Remus folk tales told by black slaves in the pre-Civil War Era United States. Walt Disney LOVED those tales, and wanted to do honor to them. It features Uncle Remus as a worker at a plantation-something-or-other in Georgia post-reconstruction, teaching little lessons to young Johnny (Bobby "Peter Pan" Driscoll) by way of some old folk tales about the clever Br'er Rabbit in his trials against Br'er Fox and Br'er Bear.

Fearing that the movie could turn out "Uncle Tom"-ish, Walt hired on Maurice Rapf, an outspoken left-wing Jew, who was cynical of the project, to co-write, "because I know that you don't think I should make the movie". Unfortunately, personal issues between the makers caused Rapf to be taken off the project. James Baskett was hired on to play numerous parts (despite offering only to be a talking butterfly), and Walt became enamored with his abilities- he plays Uncle Remus and Br'er Fox.

The live actions scenes are... a pretty solid example of what child actors were like before an entire industry sprang up to make sure the boys all had their middle names spoken with their other two and everyone was given classical training. ie. the kids are over-acting like crazy, loud and whiny. It was pretty much the standard of the day. As for the racism... I just don't see it, and neither do many people.

-The film is INSANELY controversial, and Disney has kept it vaulted since the 1980s, because it's become super-notorious (Disney parodies often mention it, like that Saturday Night Live "Vault" gag-fest, where the lyrics to Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah are changed to include "-Zip-a-dee-ay! Whites are su-per-i-or in ev-er-y way!"), so one would expect it to be pretty bad. Hell, it's got a short entitled Br'er Rabbit and the TAR BABY!! But really, it's pretty tame. It even uses less "black dialect" than the infamous Black Crows in Dumbo (though you'll hear some "Sho'nuff"s and the like). I think the only really iffy stuff is the fact that all the blacks working at the plantation are all depicted in the typical "Southern depiction of blacks", in that they're all cheerful, singing happy folks who love to work and tell tales (black activists note with no small degree of cynicism that when blacks were enslaved, they were stereotyped as people who LOVED work; once they became free, suddenly they were lazy and shiftless). So it's more of a stereotype/cliche than anything- the stereotypes certainly aren't really NEGATIVE in this case. Essentially it just glorifies the era and makes it sound cool and fun... which really wasn't the case for a lot of folks.

Granted, it's hard to win with a movie like this (as I'll note with The Princess and the Frog). People are either going to be looking for racism because they LIKE blacks, or because they hate them (keep in mind this is twenty years BEFORE the South banned a bunch of TV broadcasts of a Star Trek episode because of the Uhura/Kirk kiss). I mean, is a black person singing a traditional black folk song REALLY racist? Despite the controversy, it was re-released several times (like most Disney movies in the time before the Disney Vault and Home Video), the last being in 1986 when the criticism got too high (hell, even in its day, the National Negro Council picketed its openings). Despite THAT, the film ended up gaining immortality in the Disney Parks as the setting for the world-famous SPLASH MOUNTAIN, the wettest ride with the biggest drop in the parks. This is really odd nowadays when you consider that it's entirely likely that 99.9% of all children have never seen Song of the South in their entire lives, and most people never will. To kids, its probably just another "random ride", like Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain or the Matterhorn Bobsleds- all iconic rides that were never based around official Disney characters.

In the end, the film is now more well-known for BEING controversial than for any of its own merits (which, to be honest, aren't many- it's BORING). If it weren't for Splash Mountain (which, to be certain, never mentions the movie at all), it'd probably be even MORE obscure. Honestly, I'm kind of shocked they had one of their biggest-name dark rides be inspired by what is a pretty low-tier film in Disney history. Like... the movie was forty-three years old by the time the first Splash Mountain opened (California, Florida & Tokyo all have one), and featured characters that don't show up on any other Merch- why THAT movie? But then, the Disney Parks of the 1980s were less "Base things off of the current Big Thing" and more interested in throwing in random attractions that fit into certain areas- in this case, they were a solid fit for the "Bear Country" thing going on in Disneyland at the time. Famous "Imagineer" Tony Baxter came up with the idea while stuck in traffic, wanting to attract guests to the then-empty Bear Country, and make use of the audio-animatronics from the unpopular America Sings! attraction. Michael Eisner wanted it to be named after upcoming film Splash, because of course he did.