Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
drkrash

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Sailor Moon Supporting Cast! The Sailor Starlights!)

Post by drkrash »

Finally caught up; whew! I have no knowledge of Sailor Moon and not much interest beyond agreeing with the words of a Barenaked Ladies song.

The only thing that stood out to me resulted from me and my wife showing our son Buffy the Vampire Slayer right now. I didn't realize how many tropes of magical girls in general - and maybe even Sailor Moon in particular - were in Buffy.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Sailor Moon Supporting Cast! The Sailor Starlights!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:18 am I’m an unrepentant fangirl of the Starlights. Just about everything that their detractors hate about them is actually something that I like about them. There seems to be no middle ground, everyone in the Sailor Moon fandom either hates them or loves them.

I liked the idea of Seiya being a foil to Mamoru. Yes, her aggressiveness towards Usagi was off-putting, but I figured it was supposed to be. She was a smug, self-confident “rock star” figure who just assumed she could have any girl she wanted... Which is a pretty well-established character archetype. Seiya was the “bad boy” romantic lead contrasting Mamoru’s “good guy” steadfast true romance... I think they should have played it up more than they did. The Usagi-Mamoru relationship needed something more to test it than just his annual kidnapping-and-brainwashing weekend.
I asked on a Sailor Moon Discord I'm on, and someone explained it thusly:
I feel like everyone had a neutral response. Either that, or hated them. It's like jupi mentioned earlier, had they been handled the same way as the manga, the reception wouldn't have been as bad. The writing really took a dive with everyone except usagi and the starlights. Seasonal rot sucks
There are many other ways they could have handled the final season with the starlights being in it, but they just gave up
also I think someone here (jupi, I think??) who pointed out by stars everyone was sick of writing mamoru-and it had started in supers when he wasn't in the finale. What better way to deal with a character everyone's tired of? Proper development and writing, or just killing him off? That's part of the reason chibiusa isn't there, either. Supers' reception really had an impact on stars
and for good reason. Every other character literally took a backseat to chibiusa, to the point where they were either not present or acted way out of character
and THAT was because of chibi moon's fantastic reception in S. They saw that little kids related to her, and decided to make it the entire show for a season which took away what kids, teens, and young adults started watching it for in the first place
so they tried to re-capture what made S so great. New senshi, a new small senshi and a more powerful, more macho-ish companion for Usagi
I think the writing team changed too, by the time they hit supers. But don't quote me on that

Re: The reaction of fans:
Depends if you mean Starlights as a Whole or Just Seiya. A lot of Western fans liked (or hated) Seiya. It just depends if you're in the - ' I hate Mamoru!!!! He's So Boring!!!!' group or otherwise. Because that's what I recalled in my corner of the fandom. It was pretty much down to shipping by then and no one really paid too much attention to the actual plot. Like it's there, but it takes a backseat to other things.
I think because the team changes from SuperS to Stars had been something and probably budget cuts too. (Remember Ikuhara left at the beginning of SuperS too.)
It's less they were sick of writing Mamoru and More likely they, again, had no idea what to do with him. It's no different than when Super came along, honestly. And this is a problem when you had a lot of exclusively male writers working with a source material that was aimed for girls and written by a woman. They can't seem to honestly figure out how to balance having a constant male figure with a lead female character without nerfing or making him flat in some way. especially in a long series like Sailor Moon. (it's why a lot of Magical girl shows, tend to end up not having romance leads or being shorter than three seasons. There's just no viable way to keep it interesting somehow on that front.)
not to mention, they were receiving summaries/plot by plot beats and character designs from Naoko ahead of time so they knew where they had to vaguely go.
but yeah, due to them not wanting to allow the series to grow up with the audience and rebooting it softly with a shift change in tone for SuperS really killed a lot of good will the fans (both Western and some from there) had for the series
so, the Starlights are just..a 'meh' or shipping fodder which is the only take away I saw most people have there
-it doesn't help that Stars specifically spent the entire time with Seiya hitting and making passes on Usagi-
Jabroniville

Sailor Star Maker (the "Uterus" one)

Post by Jabroniville »

Art by GabrielandHita, Cosplay by Hesoka Angel.

So... much... forehead...

SAILOR STAR MAKER (Taiki Kou)
Role:
The Aloof One, The Smart One
Main Fuku Colour: Black & White
Hair Colour: Brown
PL 10 (160)
STRENGTH
2/3 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+8, +10)
Athletics 8 (+10, +11)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+11)
Deception 3 (+7, +9 Attractive)
Expertise (Singing) 8 (+10)
Expertise (Science) 2 (+8)
Insight 2 (+6)
Perception 5 (+8)
Persuasion 2 (+6, +8 Attractive)
Ranged Combat (Star Gentle Uterus) 3 (+10)
Technology 2 (+8)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Evasion, Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Aim, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Sailor Strength"
Enhanced Strength 1 [2]
Strength-Damage +2 [2]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Movement 1 (Safe Fall) [2]
Morph 1 (Male Form- Attractive to Females) [5]

"Star Gentle Uterus!" Blast 10 (Feats: Improved Critical 2) [22]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Unarmed Senshi +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Star Gentle Uterus +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +8

Complications (Early):
Power Loss (All Powers)- Sailor Senshi must be able to gesture and speak freely to use their powers. If they are Bound or Snared, they cannot use their attacks easily.
Normal Identity (Taiki Kou- Without Power... Head Mic?)
Responsibility (Sailor Senshi)- The Starlights are forced to fight evil.
Responsibility (Schooling)
Secret (Identity)- The Starlights must not reveal their identities to the world at large, nor their villains.
Enemy (Sailor Galaxia)- Galaxia exiled their Princess and destroyed their world.
Relationship (Princess Kakyu)- The Starlights are devoted agents of their Princess, and would do anything for her. When she dies, they are shattered.
Relationship (The Starlights)- Taiki finds the passion of her colleagues a bit troublesome, as both keep getting into conflicts over it- Seiya even delaying their mission by distracting himself with this weird Earth girl named Usagi.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 18 / Powers: 35 / Defenses: 15 (160)

-The most poorly-designed of the Sailor Starlights has gotta be Sailor Star Maker, who is enormously tall, really elongated, and has an absolutely MASSIVE forehead- this last fact has proven somewhat notorious to the fandom. Not nearly as notorious, however, is her only attack- Star Gentle UTERUS.

-UTERUS!!! To this day, people don't really know what the hell that one's about. It's just an energy blast! Like a laser beam or something! It's totally bizarre. I guess it could be linked to the whole "Maker" name since the uterus is like... part of the female reproductive system, but it's the most hilarious thing about Sailor Stars to the English-speaking fandom by far.

-To contrast the passion of her partners, "Taiki" is instead an aloof, stoic sort, usually refusing to get too emotionally-invested into things. Taiki views their quest on Earth to be best done quickly, and to not get too attached to anyone there- she tends to find people dull, naive and weak. As one of the Three Lights, Taiki is seen as a calm genius, endearing "him" to Ami, who becomes uncharacteristically flushed about it. However, they end up paired off in both of her "Focus Episodes" this season, and she's cured of her crush pretty well immediately, finding Taiki cold and almost cruel about it. Though he warms up later, she doesn't crush on him further after that.

-Taiki spends most of his time being so "above it all", deriding the romanticism of his & Ami's instuctor, "who should be a man of science". He spends much of one episode decrying how they're waiting for a meteor shower on a day when "rain is 100% likely", but comes around in the end when the sky clears just in time- Ami's speech about how "the desire to pursue dreams and wonder is the energy that drives us as human beings!". Later, however, he's outraged when Seiya compares Sailor Moon to Princess Kaky: "Don't mention them in the same breath!" he shouts, adding that Sailor Moon's optimistic "I have to save people!" act is the thought process of a "happy ignorant" who "doesn't know what a real war is"- well, at least he has a reason to be ignorant of what the Sailors have ACTUALLY been through. He warms up later, laughing uproariously at Usagi's foul-ups and messy appearance- something that impresses his bros.

-There's an episode about an adorable little sick girl who SO desperately wants to meet Taiki, who can't help but be aloof about everything, in addition to his frustration over nobody hearing their message to their princess. He's particularly annoyed at girls only cheering because of their looks and not even listening to the lyrics... which are literally all just generic stuff about love, so I dunno what HE'S so arrogant about- ain't like they're deep, son! Taiki, already annoyed by their fans and their Princess never hearing the message in the Lights' songs, is friendly to Misa but refuses to sing or anything, then tries to bail on a Lights concert, causing Seiya to SLUG him! While he's glowering over this, he learns that Misa has collapsed, and comes running- and when he sees her drawing, he realizes it's literally their Princess! Misa claims to see this image whenever she hears their songs, confirming to Taiki that their plan is working... but that it's stopped, Taiki realizing it's because he stopped singing with conviction! This naturally causes his own understanding, and he convinces Misa to be strong and have faith in herself, as he runs back to perform "just for you!".
-Unfortunately, I find Taiki's VA to be very dry, possibly too much even for the character, as his exposition comes off in a bland monotone, as opposed to what's probably supposed to be calm and thoughtful.

-Sailor Star Healer is another PL 10 fighter, pretty typical with an Energy Attack, Improved Disarm (at one point she disarms Sailor Teacher's metal pointer that he was using as a weapon), and she takes out
Jabroniville

Sailor Star Healer

Post by Jabroniville »

Art by KGFantasy, 10721, YoukaiYume & GabrielleandHita, Cosplay by SAIbi & Katssby.

SAILOR STAR HEALER (Yaten Kou)
Role:
Angry Dwarf, Animal-Lover
Main Fuku Colour: Black & White
Hair Colour: White
PL 10 (148)
STRENGTH
2/3 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+8, +10)
Athletics 8 (+10, +11)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+11)
Deception 3 (+7, +9 Attractive)
Expertise (Singing) 8 (+11)
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+6, +8 Attractive)
Ranged Combat (Star Sensitive Inferno) 3 (+10)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Evasion, Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Aim, Improved Initiative, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Taunt, Teamwork

Powers:
"Sailor Strength"
Enhanced Strength 1 [2]
Strength-Damage +2 [2]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Morph 1 (Male Form- Attractive to Females) [5]

"Star Sensitive Inferno!" Blast 10 (Feats: Improved Critical 2) [22]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Unarmed Senshi +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Star Sensitive Inferno +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +8

Complications (Early):
Power Loss (All Powers)- Sailor Senshi must be able to gesture and speak freely to use their powers. If they are Bound or Snared, they cannot use their attacks easily.
Normal Identity (Seiya Kou- Without Power... Head Mic?)
Responsibility (Sailor Senshi)- The Starlights are forced to fight evil.
Responsibility (Schooling)
Secret (Identity)- The Starlights must not reveal their identities to the world at large, nor their villains.
Enemy (Sailor Galaxia)- Galaxia exiled their Princess and destroyed their world.
Relationship (Princess Kakyu)- The Starlights are devoted agents of their Princess, and would do anything for her. When she dies, they are shattered. Yaten in particular has the most angst over her disappearance.
Relationship (The Starlights)- Yaten gets along with Taiki, but finds Seiya's outbursts and obsession with humans annoying and troublesome.
Hatred (Humans)- Yaten finds humans untrustworthy, and doesn't bother trying to get to know them.
Responsibility (Animal Lover)- Yaten, however, has a soft spot for animals, and goes out of her way to help them.
Temper- Yaten is the quickest of the Starlights to anger, even leaving a woman to certain death for suggesting "he" was gay.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 18 / Powers: 35 / Defenses: 16 (147)

-Probably the best design of the Sailor Starlights was Sailor Star Healer- Yaten. Yaten was the only one whose hair really looked like it "fit" that ponytail- it's a huge mop of "Teen Idol Hair" as opposed to the weird "short haircut + giant ponytail" looks the other two got. Short and with bright golden eyes, Yaten also FELT like an anime protagonist.

-Yaten is terse, blunt, and overly rude through most of the show, especially at first- it's clear the aloof personality is out of resentment for their situation, and desperation. Yaten confesses to the others that he HATES humanity and doesn't trust any of them, and when a Victim of the Week who'd been annoying him (she outright says "You must be GAY!" for not being into her) gets attacked by Sailor Iron Mouse, Yaten's basically like "Whatever, I don't even like this bitch" and tries to bail, but Luna actually attacks the villain, getting blasted for it! This episode establishes that his misanthropy is in contrast to his love for animals, as he cares for an injured Luna with great gentleness.

-Yaten also has by far the most angst about finding their missing princess, practically falling apart at times. So it seems like Yaten's the worst jerkass of the group, but it all comes from this place of yearning, loathing and desperation, which at least humanizes the character a bit. I think I resented the character a bit for being My Beloved Rei's personal favorite of the group, but she literally never follows up on this in the show proper- merely stating it early on, so Yaten gets a pass, lol.

-Sailor Star Maker is... pretty much just another athletic Blaster. The character barely differs from Star Fighter at all statistically. Though each of the Starlights are of vastly different heights, they all seemed pretty equivalent as warriors, with no one individual being superior.
Batgirl III

Re: Sailor Star Healer

Post by Batgirl III »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:14 pm Image
Swoon.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Princess Kakyuu

Post by Jabroniville »

PRINCESS KAKYUU (aka Sailor Kakyuu)
Role:
The Exiled Queen, Savior Figure
Main Fuku Colour: Red & Yellow
Hair Colour: Red
PL 10 (140)
STRENGTH
2/3 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Athletics 8 (+10, +11)
Expertise (Planetary Ruler) 8 (+11)
Insight 8 (+12)
Perception 5 (+8)
Persuasion 7 (+12)

Advantages:
Benefit 4 (Princess of Kinmoku), Evasion, Fast Grab, Fearless, Improved Initiative, Interpose, Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Sailor Strength"
Enhanced Strength 1 [2]
Strength-Damage +2 [2]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

"Pink Butterflies" Force Field 8 [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Unarmed Senshi +10 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +5 (+13 Force Field), Fortitude +7, Will +11

Complications (Early):
Responsibility (Kinmoku)- Kakyuu's planet, Kinmoku, was destroyed by Sailor Galaxia, and she fled to Earth, hoping to find the "Light of Hope" that would defeat her.
Relationship (Sailor Starlights)- Kakyuu is worshipped by her adoring Starlights, but she is willing to sacrifice herself for them in teurn.

Total: Abilities: 74 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 16 / Defenses: 18 (140)

-Princess Kakyuu, the ruler of the destroyed planet Kinmoku, is the reason for the existence of the Sailor Starlights on Earth, as they arrived there and became a Teen Idol group in order to sing their songs to draw her attention- songs about longing for a faraway person they wanted to bring near. Their intentions soon became clear in the show, leading to a huge 20-episode build-up to her introduction, finally allowing he to arrive and interact with the cast aaaaaaaaannnnnnnd she's dead.

-Yup, so Princess Kakyuu was a MASSIVE part of the manga, and a huge part of Sailor Moon's final attack on the Galaxy Cauldron where Galaxia and the rest of the Shadow Galactica hid out, but for whatever reason, the anime writers didn't use her. The Starlights maintained the same motivation, and we HEARD enough about her- her presence was said to be similar to Usagi's by Seiya, causing her allies to become infuriated. She had an almost Goddess-like presence to them, and was taken extremely seriously. And when she finally appeared on the scene, lured by Chibi-Chibi using her incense burner, we saw a very calm, serene, kind person- an "Ideal Japanese Princess". Chibi-Chibi, of course, is the "Light of Hope" that Kakyuu hoped would defeat Galaxia.

-However, in the VERY NEXT EPISODE, the Starlights' "final concert" (they no longer need to hide out as a boy band) is invaded by Galaxia, who engulfs the world in darkness. She lashes out to take the Star Seeds of the Starlights... but Kakyuu leaps into the way, sacrificing herself for them and dying a hero. The Starlights completely fall apart with her death, and even the Inner Sailors are horrified, but it's still pretty bizarre- like HOLY SHIT, we spent 20+ episodes on this build-up, and she's ALREADY dead? This is generally seen as a major failing of the anime by fans, as this departure from the manga comes off as a big buzzkill. Though I can sorta see why it happened, in a way- the anime intends to finish off all the Sailors in small groups, leaving only Usagi left. This is damaged somewhat if Kakyuu, a new character, is suddenly there to watch all this carnage. The manga was more concerned with Usagi's friends slowly dying one-by-one until the final battle with all-new characters at her side (Kakyuu, the Starlights, Chibi-Chibi)... and I can see how the anime fans would feel ripped off and cheated if their old favorites all died FIRST and were left with this Spotlight Stealing Squad of newbies.

-Kakyuu plays a much bigger role in the manga- there, she and the Starlights join Sailor Moon on her final mission. Here, she is actually a Sailor Senshi, becoming "Sailor Kakyuu"- she is ultimately killed by Sailor Chi after instructing Sailor Moon on how to kill Sailor Phi- she is stabbed through the back by a pointed staff, and her death is followed quickly by those of the Starlights, leaving Sailor Moon to face Galaxia alone.

-Kakyuu's only power in the anime is to create some pink butterflies that are crushed by Sailor Galaxia's attacks. In the manga, she uses "Starlight Royal Straight Flush" to break some capsules holding Sailor Crystals, and then counters Sailor Phi's attack with the "Kinmoku Fusion Tempest".
MacynSnow

Re: Jab’s Builds! (The Sailor Starlights! "Star... Gentle... UTERUS!!!")

Post by MacynSnow »

I personally DESPISE the Starlight's(pack of fugly Divas IMHO), but i LOVED their Princess(Both Version's)! She was shown in the Anime as what Usagi/Sirenity could be(every time i type that name, i keep picturing Nathan Fillion saying to Usagi: "Gorramit girl, quite being stupid!" :lol:), while the Manga just treated her as an Ubér-Sailor. How anyone as sweet & caring as her could have these three idjits as her Royal Guard is anyone's guess....
Jabroniville

Phages

Post by Jabroniville »

Sailor Guts.

PHAGE TEMPLATE
Dub Name:
N/A
Role: Villain of the Week, Summoned Mooks
PL 10 (82)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+8)
Close Combat (Chosen Attack) 2 (+13)
Deception 5 (+5)
Intimidation 6 (+6)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Daze (Intimidation), Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Startle

Powers:
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +3

Complications (Early):
Responsibility (The Dead Moon Circus)
Disabled (Mute)- A Lemures can sometimes only shout out its own name. Others are quite chatty.
Vulnerable (Distractions)- A Lemures pretty much ONLY looks at the last immediate thing to draw their attention. This makes them easily distracted, to the point of getting negatives to resist having their attention drawn.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 14 (82)

-As always, Sailor Stars gets into things with its Monsters Of The Week. However, and not for the first time, we run into multiple situations in which the episodes are positively STUFFED with plot and characters (with three new Sailors, it's no wonder), and so these guys are unwanted, unnecessary additions to the plot. Even worse, they have designs that are often way too silly or just unmemorable, and as you can see here, there are pretty much two kinds of attacks- Regular Blasts and Multiattack Blasts. Like, every single guy just shoots something based off of the Victim of the Week's day-job and that's it- most surprisingly, there's only ONE case of someone using a Snare! It's a shocking lack of originality for this show, which used to specialize in weird one-off foes or some actually incredible Mook designs. It's really disappointing than in the show's last season, we're stuck with such wimpy, forgettable characters.

-So the deal with a "Phage" is that it's created from a being whose Star Seed has been removed. When the Seed turns black (revealing it's not a TRUE Star Seed, but an ordinary one), the person transforms into a monster, always called "Sailor ____", but otherwise looking like any other Monster of the Week- never in a Sailor fuku, it's just some big ugly dude or a crazy chick. It's kinda weird- this was their opportunity for some wild variants of the "Sailor" concept and they did nothing with it.

-In any case, the Phages are often easily beaten. They rarely even get the token "kick the Sailors' asses for a minute or two" moments before they're beaten, either- the Sailors just avoid the attack, the Sailor focused on in that week's episode attacks, and Sailor Moon uses one of her two "Kiss" powers to transform them back to human- something that shocks the Starlights, as they didn't think this was possible. As a result, most of these guys just use the barebones template with a Blast power added.

Various PHages:

SAILOR BURI (Episode 173)- PL 10 (88): "Spike Microphone on Long Cord" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach 4) [6]
-Sailor Buri is our first enemy- created from a cute Movie Idol. Sailor Moon refuses to attack an innocent person, but the Sailor Starlights damage her, allowing Moon to transform the Phage back to normal.

SAILOR GUTS (Episode 174)- PL 10 (128): ST +1, "Sweats of Youth!" Linked Blast & Ranged Weaken Strength 8, Ranged Attack 10 [46]
-A very large, muscular Phage created from a High School football player.

SAILOR GENKIRU (Episode 175)- PL 10 (103): "Camera-Gun on Right Arm" Blast 8 (Accurate 5) [21]
-This Phage is a camerawoman/turtle (Turtle = Kame, sounding like "Camera").

SAILOR DIRECTOR (Episode 176)- PL 10 (103): "Camera Reel Blast" Blast 8 (Accurate 5) [21]
-A generic movie director.

SAILOR TEACHER (Episode 177)- PL 10 (106): "Chalk Blast" Blast 6 (Multiattack, Accurate 6) [24]
-A friendly teacher who befriends Ami and is treated aloofly by Taiki. Showing that he's defrosting, Taiki only uses a "half-power" blast to harry it.

SAILOR OJYOU (Episode 178)- PL 10 (88): "Creates Whip" Strength-Damage +2 (Reach 4) [6]
-This Phage reveals a scandalous whale-tail thong lingerie outfit, but is pretty wimpy- its only attack is to use a whip, so even Luna is barely affected. Humorously, this somehow requires ALL FIVE SAILORS to dogpile it.

SAILOR CHEF (Episode 179)- PL 10 (104): "Cooking Utensil Helmet" Blast 8 (Variable- Any Cooking Tool or Creation, Accurate 5) [22]
-Sailor Chef, based off of a quick-thinking, confident TV host, uses a variety of cooking implements from his helmet- all Blasts. Hilariously, the chocolate cake is more devastating than the knife, because Sailor Moon is distracted by the sweet treat.

SAILOR CONDUCTOR (Episode 180)- PL 10 (106): "Thrown Conductor Rods" Blast 6 (Multiattack, Accurate 6) [24]
-A famous European conductor who is inexplicably conducting the Three Lights & Michiru- this is about when the show gets REALLY tired of "Phage Fights" and demolishes the villains in short order.

SAILOR COP (Episode 182)- PL 10 (105): STA +2, "Laser Gun" Blast 9 (Easily Removable), Ranged Attack 8 [23]
-Sailor Cop is actually REALLY durable, tanking Star Serious Laser so hard he leaves a crease in the ground, and his Laser Gun blows up half a police car- unusual amounts of accessory damage for a Monster Of The Week.

SAILOR ARTIST (Episode 183)- PL 10 (105): Equipment 2 (Chainsaw +5- Multiattack), "Clay Pots" Blast 8 (Accurate 5) [23]
-This one acts like a movie monster, as a nearby movie set and an early Phage transformation lead to a "Monster In The Woods" plotline. The Phage is actually Rei's sculptor cousin.

SAILOR SOMMELIER (Episode 184)- PL 10 (108): "Red Wine Blast" Blast 8 (Accurate 5), "Wine Bottle" Deflect 12 (Reflect), "Extended Neck Bite" Strength-Damage +1 (Reach 4) [26]
-In one of the show's more comedic episodes, a TV host barges in when there's a dozen Sailors in Usagi's family home, leading to him being turned into a Phage. He's actually rather potent, easily bottling up Sailor Neptune's "Deep Submerge" in his wine bottle. He even extends his neck to try and bite Sailor Venus! But eventually a Sailor debate gets so annoying, and everyone struggles so hard to move about Usagi's cramped kitchen, that the Phage demands people pay attention to it- Seiya slaps him in annoyance ("Stay out of it!"), and that's the distraction necessary to finish it off.

SAILOR DOCTOR (Episode 185)- PL 10 (88): "Giant Syringe" Strength-Damage +2, "X-Ray Vision" Vision Counters Concealment [6]
-A famous American doctor out to save a little girl's life is our Phage, and he's easily beaten because this was an episode stuffed with character bits for Taiki, Mercury & Moon.

SAILOR ANTIQUE (Episode 186)- PL 10 (89): FIGHTING -2, Equipment (Sword +2, Armor +1), Summon Horse 5 [7]
-A weird old antique collector who befriends Chibi-Chibi is our victim, and he's a goofy-ass fat old knight with a sword and a horse. He's beaten with ludicrous ease- Sailor Moon stops his sword with her BARE HANDS, and Star Sensitive Inferno just drops a chandelier on him, and that's it.

SAILOR BASEBALL (Episode 187)- PL 10 (107): "Baseballs" Blast 6 (Multiattack, Accurate 6), "Big Spiked Ball" Blast 8 (Accurate 5) [25]
-Sailor Baseball appears during a sports game, but his "Big Spiked Ball" attack doesn't even see use- Sailor Moon unlocks a superfluous attack and easily defeats him.

SAILOR STEWARDESSES (Episode 188)- PL 10 (107): "Seatbelts From Wings" Snare 6 (Accurate 6), "Tossed Airline Stuff" Blast 8 (Accurate 5) [25]
-In Sailor Aluminum Siren's final episode, she appears with three altered stewardesses, who aide in her fight against what quickly turns out to be NINE Sailors. They throw an oxygen mask, a cart, and a life vest at the girls, but have their stuff swatted away, as does their boss, and they're easily beaten.

SAILOR D.J. (Episode 189)- PL 10 (106): "Spinning CDs" Blast 6 (Multiattack, Accurate 6) [24]
-This Phage arrives but is immediately beaten by the Sailor Starlights, as this episode was running long or something.

SAILOR AMUSE (Episode 190)- PL 10 (106): "Rocket-Propelled Balloons" Blast 6 (Multiattack, Accurate 6) [24]
-A clown-themed Phage attacks, but Sailor Neptune wipes out all his rocket-propelled balloons, Sailor Uranus uses her Space Sword to slice through a giant balloon he created, and Sailor Moon beats him.

SAILOR GAMER (Episode 191)- PL 10 (113): Flight 4, "Special Kill Sonic Beam" Blast 8 (Accurate 5), "Area Attacks" Burst Area Damage 8, "Flashy Video Game-Themed Attacks" Strength-Damage +2 [31]
-Sailor Gamer is a shocker- a USEFUL Phage! He easily blasts through Sailor Mercury's "Aqua Rhapsody" attack with some flashy moves as the animators have fun with outlandish-looking energy melee attacks. It's stunned by Star Gentle Uterus (hee), and is beaten. His Blast attack is opposed by Jupiter's "Oak Evolution".

SAILOR MUSICIAN (Episode 192)- PL 10 (106): "Keytar" Blast 6 (Accurate 6, Multiattack) [24]
-And FINALLY... we come to the final Monster of the Week in the series. Sailor Musician fires energy beams out of a Keytaur, but misses everyone and gets taken out by Star Sensitive Inferno & Venus Love & Beauty Shock. So yes, the last of the 150+ Monsters of the Week the show used featured a KEYTAUR.
Jabroniville

Sailor Iron Mouse

Post by Jabroniville »

Art by Shirataki.

SAILOR IRON MOUSE (aka Chuuko Nezu)
Role:
Star-Chaser
Main Uniform Colour: White & Black
Hair Colour: White
PL 11 (149)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 5

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+10)
Athletics 8 (+10)
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (TV Reporter) 6 (+7)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Perception 3 (+8)
Stealth 3 (+8)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Improved Defenses, Improved Initiative 2, Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Galactica Bracelets"
"Star Seed Extractor" Affliction 12 (Fort; Dazed & Impaired/Stunned & Disabled/Incapacitated & Transformed to Seedless) (Feats: Homing 2) (Extras: Ranged, Extra Condition) (38) -- [40]
  • AE: "Phone Booth" Teleport 8 (Feats: Increased Mass 5) (Extras: Accurate) (29)
  • AE: "Galactica Crunch" Energy Blast 8 (16)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Energy Blast +10 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 23)
Star Seed Extractor +10 (+12 Ranged Affliction, DC 22)
Initiative +13

Defenses:
Dodge +14 (DC 24), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Galaxia's Will)- Sailor Iron Mouse is the minion of Sailor Galaxia, who does not suffer failure gladly. She must find the special "Star Seed"... or else.
Vulnerable (Bracelets Give Life)- As a being whose Star Seed has already been removed, Sailor Iron Mouse needs her magical bracelets to live. If Sailor Galaxia removes them (which she may do at-will), Iron Mouse will simply fade away.
Phobia (Cats)- Given her animal motif, Sailor Iron Mouse is deeply unsettled by the presence of cats.

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 40 / Defenses: 16 (149)

-Sailor Iron Mouse was the first Sailor Anima-Mate seen in Sailor Stars and was given almost NOTHING to do. Seriously, she was treated like a joke from the get-go, literally only swiped a character trait or two from Mimete (who was a "star chaser" who only targeted celebrities herself, though Mimete was largely most interested in cute boys), and was wiped away by the Big Bad for "You Have Failed Me For The Last Time" shenanigans. Seriously just a one-note nothing.

-So Sailor Iron Mouse was this very shrimpy, child-like "General", who pretended to be an interviewer from a TV station- she was often shown at her desk, taking phone calls from Sailor Galaxia, and occasionally being taken down a dark hallway to interact with the other villains. Mouse's only real schtick was to find a big celebrity and attack them- as the early part of the season in particular was devoted to elaborating upon the characters of the Three Lights, she thus tended to attack the "Victim of the Week" only at the last second- a costar of the Lights; a football player Seiya had met; another costar of the Lights... many of these characters only had a scene or two before they were attacked, so Iron Mouse only had a tiny bit of stuff to do before she attacked. She'd act as a reporter, usually get rebuffed, then with a "CHUUUUUUU!" ("chuu-chuu" is the onomatopoeia for rodents' chewing in Japanese- it appears frequently in Hamtaro), would transform into her Sailor form and freak the person out, blasting out their "Star Seed". When the Seed inevitably turnd black (marking it as a dud), she would bail, teleporting away in a phone box, Doctor Who style, allowing whatever mayhem to be wreaked when a Seed-less human transformed into a monstrous "Phage".

-So after multiple episodes of this, and a few big warnings from Galaxia, Iron Mouse finally failed for the last time, and when she attempted to bail... had her magical bracelets removed by Galaxia, an act which killed her. Galaxia then promptly issued a challegne to Sailor Moon. Hilariously, the character only manages to get into a fight ONCE... and it's against LUNA. When she attacks the Sailors, Luna gets involved, and is blasted with energy. And so Iron Mouse dies without ever having really done anything or become sympathetic- she was just a Discount Mimete, all in all.

-The manga version of Sailor Iron Mouse, like almost all the "Generals" in the series, was a one-off who died after her first mission, and thus required a brand-new personality in the anime. She was hunting the Star Seeds of the Three Lights at their concert, but detected the similar Crystals of the various Sailors at the concert as well, and thus crashed the joint planning to steal them all. She fired out energy beams at the crowd to lure out the girls, but Sailor Jupiter deflected one. Iron Mouse blocked Uranus & Neptune's "Space Turbulence' and "Submarine Violin Tide" with her own attack, the "Galactica Crunch" (HOLY SHIT THAT'S AN AWESOME NAME!), and attempted to counter-attack... but the new character Sailor Star Healer shot out a "Star Sensitive Inferno", thus turning her to dust. It was later revealed that she was never a Sailor at all, but the killer of Sailor Chuu, guardian of the planet of the same name, and was rewarded with Sailor-tier powers by Sailor Galaxia for offering up Chuu's Sailor Star Seed.

-It's tricky to figure out the Power Level of someone whose only fight involves a sentient cat instead of a powerful superhero, but I figure Sailor Iron Mouse for a PL 9 or so, who is merely very good at escaping without harm. The Star Seed Extractor is a very powerful thing, and it will incapacitate anyone.
Davies

Re: Jab’s Builds! (The Sailor Starlights! Phages! Sailor Iron Mouse!)

Post by Davies »

I give her a few points for being one of the only villains who heckles the lengthy self-introduction routine that the Sailors use.

Iron Mouse: Today's business is over for now! Are you paying me overtime?
Moon: For love and justice!
Iron Mouse: Are you listening to me?
Moon: Sailor-suited lovely guardian!
Iron Mouse: Hello? Hellllooo?
Moon: Saiiiiloor Mooooon! In the name of the moon -- I'll punish you!
Iron Mouse: Bye! <leaves>
Moon: Ah?
Venus: She's gone?
Mars: Because you just kept going on!
Moon: I always do that, they never just left before this!
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Skavenger

Re: Jab’s Builds! (The Sailor Starlights! "Star... Gentle... UTERUS!!!")

Post by Skavenger »

Having not really seen the Sailor Starlights before, those costumes seem... particularly BDSM-themed. The straps, the fact that any fabric seems attached to said straps and only providing coverage because they happen to be attached to the bindings instead of acting as coverage themselves?

Just seems strange to have in a series (mostly) targeted to girls and young women.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

BDSM gear usually involves some form of restraint or attachment points for restraints or some sort of sensory-depravation (blindfolds, blinding masks, full-body coverings that lessen tactile sensation); and is usually made of some sort of fetishized material (PVC or leather being the most common).

The Starlights are just wearing highly stylized hot pants and bikini tops. Honestly, not that different from the club wear you'd have seen at any night club venue in the Nineties.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Sailor Aluminum Siren

Post by Jabroniville »

Fanart by Abigail Diaz.

"HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!"
-Siren's introductory spiel towards Victims of the Day)

SAILOR ALUMINUM SIREN (aka Reiko Aya)
Role:
The Ditz
Main Uniform Colour: Light Blue & Violet
Hair Colour: Blue
PL 11 (155)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 5

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+10)
Athletics 8 (+10)
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (TV Reporter) 6 (+7)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Perception 3 (+8)
Stealth 3 (+8)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Improved Defenses, Improved Initiative 2, Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Galactica Bracelets"
"Star Seed Extractor" Affliction 12 (Fort; Dazed & Impaired/Stunned & Disabled/Incapacitated & Transformed to Seedless) (Feats: Homing 2) (Extras: Ranged, Extra Condition) (38) -- [41]
  • AE: "Phone Booth" Teleport 8 (Feats: Increased Mass 5) (Extras: Accurate) (29)
  • AE: "Galactica Tsunami" Energy Blast 10 (Extras: Multiattack) (Quirks: Requires Small Objects -2) (28)
  • AE: Generic Energy Blast 10 (20)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Galactica Tsunami +10 (+10 Ranged Affliction, DC 25)
Star Seed Extractor +10 (+12 Ranged Affliction, DC 22)
Initiative +13

Defenses:
Dodge +15 (DC 25), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Galaxia's Will)- Sailor Aluminum Siren is the minion of Sailor Galaxia, who does not suffer failure gladly. She must find the special "Star Seed"... or else.
Responsibility (Polite)- Aluminum Siren tends to address her victims politely, even giving her business card out before she ruthlessly attacks them.
Relationship/Rivalry (Sailor Lead Crow)- Lead Crow is next in line, and is openly a rival to Siren in the Anima-Mates. However, she is annoyed to find Siren so casual and flighty about things, and begins helping her out and demanding she improve, stating that it's out of dismay that "my rival is so flighty!". However, it's very clear in the end that Crow deeply cares for her rival, when Galaxia tires of her failures.
Vulnerable (Bracelets Give Life)- As a being whose Star Seed has already been removed, Sailor Aluminum Siren needs her magical bracelets to live. If Sailor Galaxia removes them (which she may do at-will), Aluminum Siren will simply fade away.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 41 / Defenses: 19 (155)

Sailor Aluminum Siren- The Beloved Ditz:
-Oh man, Sailor Aluminum Siren was AMAZING- in a great example of fans "filling in the blanks", she was a character who only appeared for a short time, tended to share the spotlight with her friendly rival Sailor Lead Crow, and was often just tacked onto the end of many episodes as a token threat... but she ended up becoming super-memorable and is the most beloved "General" of Sailor Stars. It just goes to show you what a great character design (I've never seen a ribbon crossing over a character's face before, never mind the lingerie outfit!) and a fun, goofy personality can do. Though I will think to my dying day that Siren was only used so rarely because her costume is by far the most complicated of any regularly-appearing character in the series, and the directors probably BEGGED to have all of her appearances shortened :).

-Siren is, in a word, a ditz. Replacing Sailor Iron Mouse as the Sailor Anima-Mate in charge of finding Star Seeds on Earth, she immediately endears herself to the audience by being a total goofball, shouting "HIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!" to the Victim of the Week, and often doing a Japanese-style "introduction via business card" with formal politeness! More fun arrives as her rival in the organization, Sailor Lead Crow, shows up and lectures her stupidity, and then helps her out "out of pity" owing to the respect she has for Siren as a rival. Except fans of course see a LOT of "Shipping" in here, as Crow's lecturing and deriding often comes off as desperate Tsundere stuff, while their personalities are in huge contrast- the angry, serious one and the flighty, friendly one. I mean, that's what it's all about, right there.

Siren Loses Her Cool:
-As I said, Siren doesn't show up that much- often just popping in at the end of the episode to attack the Victim of the Week and bail. However, in her penultimate episode, she lucks into watching Usagi Tsukino transform into Sailor Moon, making her one of a handful of foes to uncover her secret! The next episode sees her guarantee an annoyed Sailor Galaxia that she will DEFINITELY get a Star Seed this time. She lures her onto an airplane featuring the Three Lights and their fanclub, and springs her trap for Usagi... but is immediately attacked by SEVEN OTHER Sailors, as the Lights and four of their biggest fans are our main cast of heroes, too. Losing her confidence and her casual, aloof persona, she becomes flustered and heavily annoyed at being so drastically outnumbered, and she unleashes her "Galactica Tsunami" attack... which is just her tossing airline food at the gang. They amazingly deflect juiceboxes with their ULTIMATE SAILOR ATTACKS, and she bails in a huff.

-However, tragedy strikes- Galaxia is FURIOUS at her casual "Aw well, that didn't work out", and when Sailor Tin Nyanko, ambitious and dangerous, says that she probably just made up that she knew where a Star Seed was, and Siren freaks on her, then blows off her failure with "Why should I apologize? I haven't done anything wrong!" Lead Crow BEGS her to apologize to their master, but time's up. And so with an "I've heard enough", Galaxia removes Siren's bracelets, dooming her- Lead Crow BEGS for mercy and another chance for her friend/rival, while Siren wails in horror and pleas to deaf ears- she vaporizes in Lead Crow's arms, the latest victim of their master. The acting was REALLY good here, especially Siren's "I don't want to DIE like this!" (though that's exactly the dub dialogue added to Mimete's death two seasons ago). The sight of the silly, funny villain suddenly SCREAMING in horror as she begs Galaxia to spare her life and forgive her, while Lead Crow can only stare in wide-eyed horror as even SHE begs Galaxia for mercy, is outstanding and how you can make a memorable villain out of very little. She thus stands out a lot more to me than the Amazoness Quartet, who got a lot more screen time and attempts at sympathy or character depth.

Manga Aluminum Siren:
-In the manga, Aluminum Siren (or "Seiren") was another one-off, and her Galactica Tsunami attack was a terrible threat and not her throwing food at people. She uses a lot of mermaid imagery, and is said to be from the Planet Mermaid, having killed its Sailor Senshi- Sailor Mermaid- and taken her place. She attacks at a Three Lights concert, deflects Sailor Uranus's attack, and then extracts Sailor Mercury & Jupiter's Star Seeds, killing them, before she is herself slain by the Sailor Starlights. Here, she is not a ditz at all, but instead a standard-issue ruthless villain.

Siren's Powers:
-Siren is another PL 11 Sailor Anima-Mate, for the same reasons (her Star Seed Extractor), with a PL 10 Blast this time (it's silly, but the Sailors DID use their full power to avoid her flurry of attacks). Since she never really traded attacks with any named characters, it's hard to say just how tough or durable she is- she bails when the Sailors deflect her shots.
Skavenger

Post by Skavenger »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:16 am BDSM gear usually involves some form of restraint or attachment points for restraints or some sort of sensory-depravation (blindfolds, blinding masks, full-body coverings that lessen tactile sensation); and is usually made of some sort of fetishized material (PVC or leather being the most common).

The Starlights are just wearing highly stylized hot pants and bikini tops. Honestly, not that different from the club wear you'd have seen at any night club venue in the Nineties.
I was actually thinking more along the lines of shibari, something that would be tight or somewhat restrictive, but wouldn't really be noticeable under normal clothes.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Sailor Starlights! Sailor Iron Mouse & Aluminum Siren!)

Post by Jabroniville »

I just took their outfits for Fanservicey bikini-things. Takeuchi was shaking the designs up a bit as she went on. Sailor Tin Nyanko is probably the most S&M design she did.