Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Bladewind

Re: Jab's Builds! (Genis-Vell! Phalanx! Wolverine!)

Post by Bladewind »

Ken wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:00 am
MacynSnow wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 1:10 am Fun fact:On the day of Mariko's every year,Logan pays a visit to Matus'o and takes a body part then lay's it on her grave marker.
His own body part, or somebody else's?
Dude, that's just gruesome.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

MacynSnow wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 1:10 am Fun fact:On the day of Mariko's every year,Logan pays a visit to Matus'o and takes a body part then lay's it on her grave marker.
Matsu'o's body part.And it always a different part....
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Bladewind wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:04 am
To quote Wolverine himself: "I want you to suffer as long as possible,knowing that i can show up anytime i want and just finish the job...."
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

And if his... Which part!? :o
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:35 am
And if his... Which part!? :o
Well... a part that doesn't have his adamantium skeleton.

His ear?

Wait!! No. Wasn't he called "Patch" for a while?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

Why do I think Wolverine leaving his own body parts would've made a much better story?
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I have to admit, I was a fan of Logan's relationship with Mariko as well, as they could still be in a relationship, but their various responsibilities would keep Mariko from just moving in to the X-Mansion or Logan moving to Japan.

Of the women in his life, I generally felt that Mariko or Storm would have worked best for a long-term relationship. In a lot of ways, Jean felt like Logan was attracted to her primarily because she was hot and with Cyclops, and Logan just bristled at the idea of Jean choosing someone like Scott, someone Logan couldn't stand, just ate at him. He was "a real man" and Scott was some "scrawny, goody-two-shoes boyscout". So I never really bought his infatuation with Jean as anything more than surface level competition with a guy he butted heads with.

Logan and Mariko or Storm? Women who are elegant, have earned his respect and admiration, and force him to be a better person? Those are relationships worth reading about.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Silver Samurai

Post by Jabroniville »

THE SILVER SAMURAI (Kenuichio Harada)
Created By:
Steve Gerber & Bob Brown
First Appearance: Daredevil #111 (July 1974)
Role: Wolverine's Own Personal Jobber, Sword Guy, Transplanted Villain (DD to Wolverine), Heel/Face Revolving Door Guy
Country of Origin: Japan
Group Affiliations: The Clan Yashida, HYDRA, The Big Hero 6
PL 10 (136)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills: 
Acrobatics 4 (+9)
Athletics 3 (+6)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Samurai) 8 (+10)
Expertise (Crime Boss) 4 (+6)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Investigation 1 (+3)
Perception 4 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Shuriken) 6 (+12)
Sleight of Hand 2 (+4)
Stealth 5 (+10)
Treatment 2 (+4)

Advantages: 
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Daze (Intimidation), Defensive Attack, Equipment 4 (Katana & Shuriken), Improved Critical (Sword) 2, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 4, Startle, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Tachyon Field Generation"
Features 1: Adds Tachyon Damage to Weapon Damage [1]
Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Improved Critical 2) (Extras: Penetrating 7) (Quirks: Requires Items) [10]

Equipment:
"Samurai Armor" Protection 4 (Extras: Impervious 5) (9)
"Masterwork Katana" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical) (Extras: Penetrating 5) (9) -- (10)
AE: "Shuriken" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Ranged 4, Multiattack 4) (8)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Katana +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Tachyon Field & Katana +12 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Shuriken +12 (+3 Ranged Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4 (+8 Armour, +3 Impervious), Fortitude +7, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Harada is a mercenary.
Motivation (Atonement)- Unless he's trying to atone for being a mercenary criminal.
Relationship (Viper)- Harada is often linked with Viper, who wishes to foment chaos across the world.

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 50--25 / Advantages: 24 / Powers: 11 / Defenses: 12 (136)

The Silver Jobberai:
-Part of what makes some villains great is their ability to challenge the heroes on an even or greater level. Sabretooth is a good Wolverine villain because nearly all of the time back in the day, he would BEAT Logan, and very rarely would Wolvie get the win back. Venom, Dr. Octopus and others were notable for the fact that they would take Spidey in a fair fight more often than not, making them horrifying challenges to overcome. A great villain should be more than a match for the hero on some level. Silver Samurai is not a great villain.

-This is because every single time he fights Wolverine or any other character, you know right away that he is going to lose, and lose badly more often than not. He's been a resolute X-Jobber for years, only being a slight bother to individual X-people, and a joke if facing an entire team. The fact that they can never keep straight whether or not he's a recovering villain, a government agent, or a lowly criminal is telling enough- it proves that the writers really don't care about him, don't do their research, and just throw him out there every time Wolverine needs someone to beat on. It's practically a mercy-killing that Marvel killed him recently, and he even went down to JOBBERS.

The Silver Samurai Debuts:
-Harada debuted as a DAREDEVIL villain oddly (before Frank Miller turned him into a Ninja Guy, no less), teaming up with Mandrill & The Black Spectre as a mercenary. After that, he was basically Viper's Boyfriend, following her around like a goon who never said anything. And since Viper was often a Journeyman Villain at that point, so was Sammy, appearing as her "muscle" to fight Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, The New Mutants (they were beaten up and captured off-panel by The Hellions!), boasting of his super-sharp sword, as all Sword Guys do, and finally ended up set against Logan himself.

-It was then added that he was related to Mariko Yashida, Logan's bride-to-be, and nearly defeated Logan in honorable combat- but his Sword That Can Cut Through Anything But Never Hit It... ACTUALLY HIT, but unfortunately clanged against Wolverine's metal spinal column, allowing Logan to get in the winning shot. Afterwards, the Samurai got an "I want to redeem myself" push, which is when he became leader of The Big Hero 6. He was actually the starring, established character in that book (which hasn't been seen since Disney made a successful property out of it via a film that had nothing to do with the comic), and helped Wolverine out from time to time.

The End of the Samurai:
-Eventually, however, they decided to re-write the character. They randomly decided he was brainwashed by Blindspot into thinking he'd been hypnotised into being good by Professor X, and was imprisoned in The Raft. He broke free thanks to Electro, but aided The Avengers against The Hand & Viper because I guess he was good after all. Sammy fought Wolverine again just because, and lost a hand to Logan's claws. He was then slain by a band of Ninja Mooks called The Red Right Hand.

-All in all, he's a highly-useless character in that he had zero credibility and a character & motivation that changed with the winds. Making it worse is the fact that his power of "A Sword That Cuts Through Anything" means HE CAN NEVER HIT ANYONE WITH IT, because of course it'd be fatal, and so he comes across as a terrible fighter instead of a good one. It's too bad, because "Armored Guy With Death Weapon" is a pretty good gimmick, he could appeal to Japanophiles without seeming cloying (since he was created in the '70s before that was even a major thing in comics), and his name is quite distinctive and comic-booky. It was enough to get him into the second Wolverine movie (sort of), and a role in the first X-Men Fighting Game, which used him alongside another largely-unimportant villain in Spiral. Like, this guy could have been a BIG DEAL, but his character was so weak, and his reputation so poor, that he had no chance.

-Funnily enough, they featured him in the second Wolverine movie (which seems to largely consist of advertising for Japan's tourism industry... it worked, is all I can say. REALLY made me want to go back), but I don't remember any of what he did. He's a big enough "name" that they've copied him twice over, but neither character is popular either. He'll probably end up "Crimson Dynamo'd" to death as a concept, with too much variability to the identity nullifying the appeal of any of them.

Silver Samurai's Stats:
-Ol' Sammy is competent, but way under-pointed for his class. He's supposed to be a "master swordsman" and can cut through "anything but Adamantium", which implies he's like PL 12 or something, but since he's never won a single fight in his career, I'll leave him at PL 10 just to be nice. He has a regular katana which does some damage on its own, but it's with his Tachyon Field power boosting it that he gets a little dangerous, with 12 ranks of Penetrating on a +8 Damage effect (if he uses Power Attack, he can go the full monty with it's Penetrating damage). Note that he can use his Tachyon Field on pretty much any item or weapon, but it's with an elite katana that it's most effective- the Field ADDS to whatever weapon he's got. You couldn't add Equipment damage to Power damage in 2nd Edition, and I can't find a rule for it in 3rd Edition, but I'll throw a Feature down just to make it perfectly okay regardless. So old Silver Samurai is actually pretty well-balanced for his level (leaning towards accuracy & defense), but not unstoppable. He's about even with Daredevil, and a notch below the PL 11 Wolverine.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Bladewind wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:04 am
Dude. It's Wolverine. I expect gruesome.
Batgirl III wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:33 pm So I feel a lot of empathy with Logan’s fans. You want the guy to be competent, but not unfailibly skilled. You want him to be a good scrapper and clever fighter, not the world’s most deadliest martial arts master ever... You want him to be the best there is at what he does, you just wish the writers would remember that he doesn’t do everything.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jack of Spades wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 3:31 am Why do I think Wolverine leaving his own body parts would've made a much better story?
Well, they would just grow back, but it'd be . . . weird.

I did like that story, where we got to see the Hell that had become this guys existence. Every year, Logan comes and cuts off a piece of the guy. A hand. A nose. His liver. His foot. Just slowly taking a piece of him, year by year. And each year, he would try something new. Beef up his security. Hire a squad of the best mercenaries in the world. Hire a small army of Hand Ninja. Spend a year training in martial arts, getting cybernetic upgrades, and preparing for a righteous one-on-one duel. Each and every time, he loses, and loses a piece of himself. Until finally, he just decides to commit seppuku, because these constant humiliations have cost him standing within his organization, wealth, as well as limbs. He is broken in ways he feels he can never recover from, and finally he just ends it with Logan present.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Our “hero,” everyone.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

The Silver Samurai is, honestly, someone criminally underutilized. He has a cool name, a distinctive look, and a pretty solid set of abilities. They just need to decide if he's a villain or a reformed villain trying to be a hero. Honestly, I'd choose the latter, give Japan another good guy, even if he is another "foreign hero culture stereotype".

Honestly, I'd probably get rid of the Mutant Power bit and give him just flat out Chi powers, where he does something similar to a trick that Iron Fist picked up where he can transfer his chi into a weapon to make it extra damaging. Then you can give him a few extra chi techniques, maybe let him use his abilities on thrown weapons to give him some range, make it clear he's one of the best swordsmen around, and then figure out if he's someone who'll be fighting the heroes and fighting alongside them.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Kaiju fans, help me out here

Godzilla
Manda
Mothra
Gororosaurus
Spacegodzilla
Mechagodzilla
King Kong
Mechani-Kon
Varan
Battra
Megaguirus
Anguirus
King Caesar
Jet Jaguar
Minilla
Kamacuras
Orga
Biollante
Destroyah
Ghidorah
Kiryu
MOGUERA
Gabara
Megalon
Titanosaurus
Rodan
Gigan
Hedorah
Deadly Mantis
The Frankensteins
Ebirah

Am I missing anyone big?
Ken

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 4:28 am Kaiju fans, help me out here

Am I missing anyone big?
Gamera.

Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 4:28 am Am I missing anyone big?
PUN-ZILLA! RUN!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you want just Godzilla mainline franchise kaiju, just Toho kaiju, or all kaiju ever? Because just going over the Toho kaiju, you've missed a bunch of `em:

Aqua Mothra, Armor Mothra, Bagan, Baragon, Dagahra, Dogora, Dorats, Eternal Mothra, Frankenstein's Monster, Gaira, Ganimes, Gezora, Godzilla Junior, Godzillasaurus, Kamoebas, Keizer Ghidorah, Kumonga, Mecha-King Ghidorah, Mechagodzilla 2, Mecha-Kong, Megaguirus, Meganula, Meganulon, Mothra Leo, MUTO, Oodako, Ookondoru, Orochi, Rainbow Mothra, Sanda, Zilla, and Zone Fighter.

I mean, there's the whole Gamera and Daimajin series from Daiei Studio, the Ultraman franchise from Tsuburaya Productions, the Godzilla: The Series cartoon, various American kaiju (like Cloverfield or Them!), and arguably a lot of stuff from Super Sentai.

Oh, and of course, the Batman and Robin. Totally canonical.