Jab's Builds! (Orga! MUTOs! Gamera! Pacific Rim! Gipsy Danger!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville
Posts: 7537
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:05 pm

Empyrean

Post by Jabroniville » Sun May 20, 2018 2:30 am

Image
Image
Image

CHRIST, he just goes ON like this. Imagine an entire issue of this dialogue.

EMPYREAN (Jonathan Chambers)
Created By:
Fabian Nicieza & Ian Churchill
First Appearance: X-Men Annual #2 (1993)
Role: Pretentious Villain, Energy Vampire
PL 10 (111)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills: 
Deception 2 (+6)
Insight 4 (+7)
Persuasion 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Benefit 3 (Wealth), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Suffering-Based Plasma"
Plasma Blast 12 (Flaws: Source- Pain & Suffering) [12]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Plasma Blasts +8 (+0-12 Ranged Damage, DC 16-25)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications: 
Motivation (Power)- Empyrean wishes for a never-ending supply of loss and suffering in order to power his abilities.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 12 / Defenses: 9 (111)

1993 saw the production of a series of Annuals in the Marvel Universe, each of which featured a brand-new character, and was packaged with a trading card featuring that character. In almost every case, these characters were horrible one-offs and almost none of them ever reappeared. Most are extremely dated to their early-1990s point of creation.

-Empyrean is a prime example of the worst aspects of Fabian Nicieza as a writer. While I found him an adequate X-writer, and a fantastic guy on The New Warriors, he had one very, VERY prominent weakness, that is especially noticeable when you read a lot of his books in a row: he CAN NOT write good "Mega-Villain" Dialogue. All of his villains are basically the same guy- big, pretentious A-holes who wax faux-philosophical about everything, using terms like "Forever-Walker" and garbage like that. And he wastes PAGES on this crap. This X-Men Annual, which I've actually read, features the most bland, un-creative "I'm SMRT" dialogue I've ever read, made worse by the fact that this guy, who I'd never heard of till then, never mattered.

-Empyrean was an energy vampire who could absorb the physical & emotional pain, and redirect it as... well, Plasma Blasts, because it was 1993. Seeking more power, he used his financial reserves to create a sort of convalescent home on a secluded island for sufferers of the Legacy Virus. His debut issue features an awful lot of Pyro, who was revealed as one of the few relatively-big names to suffer from the Virus (usually, it was used as "Spring Cleaning", wiping out un-used characters like Aminedi or throwaway characters like Revanche).

-The X-Men took issue with this, but he pointed out that in giving up their energy, the Virus sufferers would at least die in peace. The X-Men were like "Man, this guy is a dick", but left him to his own devices, being unwilling to just shut down the good the operation was doing. The character has NEVER REAPPEARED, despite being a fairly important name in the "Legacy Virus Story", which meandered along for many years before finally being solved. I mean, he was stupid, but you'd think he'd have factored in. It's not even clear if he maintained his powers after M-Day.

-Empyrean could have various degrees of power, putting him anywhere from PL 6 to PL 10. Since he was surrounded by diseased and dying people, his power sources were basically limitless on his little private island.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 21, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jabroniville
Posts: 7537
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:05 pm

Eradikator 6

Post by Jabroniville » Sun May 20, 2018 4:09 am

Image

THE ERADIKATOR 6
Created By:
Pat Mills & Dave Hoover
First Appearance: The Punisher Annual #6 (1993)
Role: One-Off Villain, '90s Kill-O-Bot
PL 7 (94)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA -- AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Perception 6 (+6)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 7 [7]
"Sensor Array" Senses 3 (Infravision, Extended Vision & Hearing) [3]
"Spider-Legs" Extra Limbs 4 [4]
Leaping 3 (60 feet) [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +7, Fortitude --, Will +2

Complications:
Motivation (Eradikation)

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 6--3 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 47 / Defenses: 6 (94)

1993 saw the production of a series of Annuals in the Marvel Universe, each of which featured a brand-new character, and was packaged with a trading card featuring that character. In almost every case, these characters were horrible one-offs and almost none of them ever reappeared. Most are extremely dated to their early-1990s point of creation.

-The Eradikator 6 appears to be a robot designed for, well, eradication. It targetted The Punisher, but there's so little information about it that I don't even have a full bio- just a list of some stuff it could do. I figure it for a basic Kill-O-Bot, but I can't find a list of weapons.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 21, 2018 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Davies
Posts: 1112
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:37 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: Jab's Builds! (The Witches 5! Kaolinite! Sailor Saturn! Pharaoh 90!)

Post by Davies » Sun May 20, 2018 4:34 am

I've often regretted that we never got a story in which Castle was pitted against Galactus' robot also known as the Punisher.

User avatar
danelsan
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:31 pm

Re: Eradikator 6

Post by danelsan » Sun May 20, 2018 4:35 am

Jabroniville wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 4:09 am
-The Eradikator 6 appears to be a robot designed for, well, eradication.
Now I don't know if I'd rather have the Punisher facing a random kill-o-bot, or a Mechanical Organism Designed Only for Eradication...

Jabroniville
Posts: 7537
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:05 pm

Re: Jab's Builds! (The Witches 5! Kaolinite! Sailor Saturn! Pharaoh 90!)

Post by Jabroniville » Sun May 20, 2018 9:55 am

So yeah, the Sailor Moon stuff is interesting to build, as usual. Though Pharaoh 90 & Sailor Saturn were tricky because they didn't really do much in the way of "Good Showings"- I was hoping the show would make that more clear, which is why I'd waited until I'd watched all of Sailor Moon S before doing the new set. Looks like it'll be another six months or so before Sailor Moon SuperS is fully released on DVD, which I'll end up getting... in this case, I've never actually watched it except for a couple of rented episodes when I went to Japan as a teenager. I've heard mostly negative things about the "Chibi-Moon"-focused season, but some people like the villains, so we'll see.

That one'll actually give me a LOT of villains to build, as we have Tiger's Eye, Fish Eye & Hawk's Eye, in addition to Zirconia & Queen Nehellenia. And THEN we get the Amazoness Quartet! I'm wondering how much or how little focus the other Sailors will get, never mind Tuxedo Mask.

User avatar
KorokoMystia
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:42 pm

Re: Eradikator 6

Post by KorokoMystia » Sun May 20, 2018 10:07 am

Jabroniville wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 4:09 am
ImageImage

THE ERADIKATOR 6
Created By:
Pat Mills & Dave Hoover
First Appearance: The Punisher Annual #6 (1993)
Role: One-Off Villain, '90s Kill-O-Bot
PL 7 (74)

1993 saw the production of a serious of Annuals in the Marvel Universe, each of which featured a brand-new character, and was packaged with a trading card featuring that character. In almost every case, these characters were horrible one-offs and almost none of them ever reappeared. Most are extremely dated to their early-1990s point of creation.

-The Eradikator 6 appears to be a robot designed for, well, eradication. It targetted The Punisher, but there's so little information about it that I don't even have a full bio- just a list of some stuff it could do. I figure it for a basic Kill-O-Bot, but I can't find a list of weapons.
Having read the story, it seems like it didn't have any weapons, only relying on brute strength. It was quite talkative (usually calling their enemies chickens), and sprouted the spider legs after its normal legs were blown off by a grenade launcher, and could tear through metal plating easily. It took a one-off "anti-robot gun" to scramble its robot brain, then being bathed in acid to finish it off.

User avatar
Davies
Posts: 1112
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:37 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: Eradikator 6

Post by Davies » Sun May 20, 2018 10:13 am

Jabroniville wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 4:09 am
Image
Is it just me, or does anyone else think the horns on the sides of its head make it look like the original Death's Head?

Jabroniville
Posts: 7537
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:05 pm

Re: Eradikator 6

Post by Jabroniville » Sun May 20, 2018 11:24 am

KorokoMystia wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 10:07 am
Jabroniville wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 4:09 am
THE ERADIKATOR 6
Created By:
Pat Mills & Dave Hoover
First Appearance: The Punisher Annual #6 (1993)
Role: One-Off Villain, '90s Kill-O-Bot
PL 7 (74)

1993 saw the production of a serious of Annuals in the Marvel Universe, each of which featured a brand-new character, and was packaged with a trading card featuring that character. In almost every case, these characters were horrible one-offs and almost none of them ever reappeared. Most are extremely dated to their early-1990s point of creation.

-The Eradikator 6 appears to be a robot designed for, well, eradication. It targetted The Punisher, but there's so little information about it that I don't even have a full bio- just a list of some stuff it could do. I figure it for a basic Kill-O-Bot, but I can't find a list of weapons.
Having read the story, it seems like it didn't have any weapons, only relying on brute strength. It was quite talkative (usually calling their enemies chickens), and sprouted the spider legs after its normal legs were blown off by a grenade launcher, and could tear through metal plating easily. It took a one-off "anti-robot gun" to scramble its robot brain, then being bathed in acid to finish it off.
Oh good! Someone's actually read the story! So does my build check out? This was easily one of the most difficult builds I've had to do. I couldn't find hardly ANYTHING- Writeups, ComicVine, NOTHING!

Jabroniville
Posts: 7537
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:05 pm

Re: Jab's Builds! (The Witches 5! Kaolinite! Sailor Saturn! Pharaoh 90!)

Post by Jabroniville » Sun May 20, 2018 11:26 am

Huh, did some looking around at other Fighting Games for future reference, and was THINKING of re-posting Killer Instinct at some point... until I found out that they'd added TWELVE CHARACTERS since I last did them! Geez- that makes it a HUNDRED times more difficult!

Mortal Kombat will probably be much easier, with a much smaller cast added... though researching the story bits for the new edition will probably be annoying, as their Wiki seems to be edited by the same people who add stuff for X-Men characters onto Wikipedia (ie. "dump every piece of information in the story into every bio").

User avatar
drkrash
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:23 pm

Re: Jab's Builds! (The Witches 5! Kaolinite! Sailor Saturn! Pharaoh 90!)

Post by drkrash » Sun May 20, 2018 11:39 am

First, I can't imagine that MK's cast is smaller than KI's.

Second, if you do KI's cast, then you're doing research for me. :)

User avatar
KorokoMystia
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:42 pm

Re: Jab's Builds! (The Witches 5! Kaolinite! Sailor Saturn! Pharaoh 90!)

Post by KorokoMystia » Sun May 20, 2018 12:09 pm

Jabroniville wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 11:26 am
Huh, did some looking around at other Fighting Games for future reference, and was THINKING of re-posting Killer Instinct at some point... until I found out that they'd added TWELVE CHARACTERS since I last did them! Geez- that makes it a HUNDRED times more difficult!

Mortal Kombat will probably be much easier, with a much smaller cast added... though researching the story bits for the new edition will probably be annoying, as their Wiki seems to be edited by the same people who add stuff for X-Men characters onto Wikipedia (ie. "dump every piece of information in the story into every bio").
Sounds like a pain. And I was looking forward to the Killer Instinct reposts, too..There's some really cool newbies like Omen (minion of Gargos, a demon that also takes the form of "Shadow Jago"), Kan-Ra (an ancient mummy sorcerer), Hisako (a vengeful Japanese Ghost Girl inspired by the likes of The Ring), and Aganos (a huge rocky golem). At least the KI wiki seems to be pretty detailed in terms of character movelists and descriptions. And hmm, let me see how many characters MKX added:

Ferra/Torr
D'Vorah
Cassie Cage
Jacqui Briggs
Kotal Kahn
Erron Black
Kung Jin
Takeda
Tremor
Tri-Borg
Alien (Xenomorph)
Predator
Leatherface
Jason Vorhees
Corrupted Shinnok

Counting the guest characters and Corrupted Shinnok,the boss (who would probably still be PL 12, which might be odd if the regular one is PL 12 as well)), that's 15 in total,but you already built Jason and Leatherface for the Terrordrome set, and you sort of have Alien/Predator builds from the Alien vs Predator set that could be modified, and Tri-Borg is basically just the "Chameleon/Khameleon" of the cyborgs, so that makes things easier.

As a bonus, check out this weird-ass Mortal Kombat clone (that also seems to have taken a lot from Killer Instinct too, what with the 3D models and even Combo Breakers), that has friggin' CTHULHU as a playable character, and the game rips off Eternal Champions's plot, too - Pray for Death (Youtube link)

User avatar
KorokoMystia
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:42 pm

Re: Eradikator 6

Post by KorokoMystia » Sun May 20, 2018 12:23 pm

Jabroniville wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 11:24 am
KorokoMystia wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 10:07 am
Jabroniville wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 4:09 am
THE ERADIKATOR 6
Created By:
Pat Mills & Dave Hoover
First Appearance: The Punisher Annual #6 (1993)
Role: One-Off Villain, '90s Kill-O-Bot
PL 7 (74)

1993 saw the production of a serious of Annuals in the Marvel Universe, each of which featured a brand-new character, and was packaged with a trading card featuring that character. In almost every case, these characters were horrible one-offs and almost none of them ever reappeared. Most are extremely dated to their early-1990s point of creation.

-The Eradikator 6 appears to be a robot designed for, well, eradication. It targetted The Punisher, but there's so little information about it that I don't even have a full bio- just a list of some stuff it could do. I figure it for a basic Kill-O-Bot, but I can't find a list of weapons.
Having read the story, it seems like it didn't have any weapons, only relying on brute strength. It was quite talkative (usually calling their enemies chickens), and sprouted the spider legs after its normal legs were blown off by a grenade launcher, and could tear through metal plating easily. It took a one-off "anti-robot gun" to scramble its robot brain, then being bathed in acid to finish it off.
Oh good! Someone's actually read the story! So does my build check out? This was easily one of the most difficult builds I've had to do. I couldn't find hardly ANYTHING- Writeups, ComicVine, NOTHING!
The build mostly seems to check out, though I'd up his intelligence a bit, since he seemed smarter than your average dumb Kill-O-Bot, and was more chatty. He gave Punisher a hard time, and small-arms fire didn't seem to have much effect on him. His legs got blown off by a grenade launcher, like I said, though.

Jabroniville
Posts: 7537
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:05 pm

Re: Jab's Builds! (The Witches 5! Kaolinite! Sailor Saturn! Pharaoh 90!)

Post by Jabroniville » Sun May 20, 2018 12:36 pm

KorokoMystia wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 12:09 pm
Jabroniville wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 11:26 am
Huh, did some looking around at other Fighting Games for future reference, and was THINKING of re-posting Killer Instinct at some point... until I found out that they'd added TWELVE CHARACTERS since I last did them! Geez- that makes it a HUNDRED times more difficult!

Mortal Kombat will probably be much easier, with a much smaller cast added... though researching the story bits for the new edition will probably be annoying, as their Wiki seems to be edited by the same people who add stuff for X-Men characters onto Wikipedia (ie. "dump every piece of information in the story into every bio").
Sounds like a pain. And I was looking forward to the Killer Instinct reposts, too..There's some really cool newbies like Omen (minion of Gargos, a demon that also takes the form of "Shadow Jago"), Kan-Ra (an ancient mummy sorcerer), Hisako (a vengeful Japanese Ghost Girl inspired by the likes of The Ring), and Aganos (a huge rocky golem). At least the KI wiki seems to be pretty detailed in terms of character movelists and descriptions. And hmm, let me see how many characters MKX added:

Ferra/Torr
D'Vorah
Cassie Cage
Jacqui Briggs
Kotal Kahn
Erron Black
Kung Jin
Takeda
Tremor
Tri-Borg
Alien (Xenomorph)
Predator
Leatherface
Jason Vorhees
Corrupted Shinnok

Counting the guest characters and Corrupted Shinnok,the boss (who would probably still be PL 12, which might be odd if the regular one is PL 12 as well)), that's 15 in total,but you already built Jason and Leatherface for the Terrordrome set, and you sort of have Alien/Predator builds from the Alien vs Predator set that could be modified, and Tri-Borg is basically just the "Chameleon/Khameleon" of the cyborgs, so that makes things easier.

As a bonus, check out this weird-ass Mortal Kombat clone (that also seems to have taken a lot from Killer Instinct too, what with the 3D models and even Combo Breakers), that has friggin' CTHULHU as a playable character, and the game rips off Eternal Champions's plot, too - Pray for Death (Youtube link)
I think I missed Tremor, and I was counting only canon characters, not the other guys. And yeah, Triborg I figured for a Lin Kueibot. The numbers seemed less staggering when I was checking Wikipedia at work, but it's still a bit.

User avatar
KorokoMystia
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:42 pm

Re: Jab's Builds! (The Witches 5! Kaolinite! Sailor Saturn! Pharaoh 90!)

Post by KorokoMystia » Sun May 20, 2018 12:53 pm

Jabroniville wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 12:36 pm
I think I missed Tremor, and I was counting only canon characters, not the other guys. And yeah, Triborg I figured for a Lin Kueibot. The numbers seemed less staggering when I was checking Wikipedia at work, but it's still a bit.
Tremor did technically appear in other games before MKX, but MKX is his proper debut as a full-fledged playable character. At any rate, I'll be looking forward to whenever you do decide to repost MK and KI, for the builds of the newbies. And looking forward to the Fighter's History builds, of course. Also, a random side note: I think I prefer it when you do the "To-Post List" on your sets of bulids, since I like to know what's coming up in advance. (Plus it helps me notice if there's any missing guys.)

User avatar
HalloweenJack
Posts: 737
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:50 pm

Re: Jab's Builds! (The Witches 5! Kaolinite! Sailor Saturn! Pharaoh 90!)

Post by HalloweenJack » Sun May 20, 2018 2:59 pm

I just hope he does some MK builds because we get to see Jason, Freddy and Leatherface yet again from Jab :D

Post Reply