Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
DominusExMachina

Re: Lori Lemaris

Post by DominusExMachina »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:08 amImageImageImage

LORI LEMARIS
Created By:
Bill Finger & Wayne Boring
First Appearance: Superman #129 (May 1959)
Role: Relic Character, Superboy's Girlfriend
Group Affiliations: Atlantis
PL 8 (88)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (World Traveler) 4 (+7)
Insight 3 (+6)
Perception 3 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+5)

Advantages: 
None

Powers:
"Mermaid Physiology"
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic) [2]
Swimming 6 [6]
Immunity 3 (Drowning, Cold, Pressure) [3]
"Telepathy" Mind-Reading 8 [16]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Telepathy -- (+8 Mind-Reading, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Superman)- Lori and Clark Kent were deeply in love while in college, but they split when she revealed that she was from a different world.
Secret (Mermaid)- Lori rarely told anyone but Clark of her true nature. Most often, she appeared as a crippled girl in a wheelchair.
Responsibility (The Undersea World)- Lori is occasionally an ally of Aquaman and his ilk.
Involuntary Transformation (Mermaid/Human)- In the Post-Crisis World, Lori changes to human when on land, and to a mermaid when in water.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 27 / Defenses: 5 (88)

-Lori Lemaris is one of those old relic characters unfortunately too stuck in the 1960s era- comics is missing goofy characters like this. She was introduced as "The Girl In Superman's Past"- in which college student Clark Kent fell in love with a wheelchair-bound girl named Lori, who of course turned out to be a MERMAID. As Mermaids are famously a part of Historical Fanservice (sailors used to profess seeing nude mermaids casting our siren calls), it seemed like this was another "Idealized Girlfriend" character, with the writers cleverly giving her the "Double-L" name so common in the Superman Mythos.

-The relationship had moved forward in college, but Lori rebuffed Clark's marriage proposal, as she had to return to her "native country". Finally, Clark realized her secret, while she revealed her people's telepathic powers, making her one of the handful of people who knew that Clark was Superman. They part as friends, realizing they could never marry.

-Lori reappeared in many Silver Age Superman comics, but was killed in Crisis on Infinite Earths, largely became Marv Wolfman & George Perez wanted to "de-silly" a lot of the DC Universe, which included getting rid of characters like "Clark's Mermaid Ex-Girlfriend". Unfortunately, this kind of took the heart out of Superman for a long time. Of course, leave it to John Byrne to IMMEDIATELY bring her back, as a new Lori appeared in the 1986 Man of Steel series, and copied the same origin.

-In the Post-Crisis Era, Lori could gain legs while on land, copying the powers of Madison, the mermaid from the hit 1984 movie Splash. She provided some romantic drama between Lois & Clark (since she's Clark's ex), but largely vanished during the grittier '90s. She failed to show up in most of the Aquaman books either, despite being a Tritonian (relatives of Atlanteans) by this point. She was thought-killed in the Infinite Crisis event as a mere random casualty (alongside poor Neptune Perkins and some other aquatic characters), but popped up in a book a year or two later. She hasn't shown up in ten years by this point.

-Characters like this... they definitely have a place. While DC likes to be up its own ass with grittiness at times, I really think that the "Goofy Silver Age" stuff is part of the HEART of DC Comics, and things like Lori are what belong there.
Here's hoping the generic Poseidonian and Tritonian templates show up in a later post...beyond that, Jab, I'd say you've clearly done Lori justice.

As for the pre-Crisis-era Lori, might I suggest the following Complication:
Disability (Strange Appearance): Like all who are native to the Atlantean city-state of Tritonis, Lori has a fish-like tail instead of legs, the result of a curse levied by the sorcerer and prophet Shalako against the people of Tritonis over 10,000 years ago. As such, while on land, Lori requires a wheelchair to move around.
And I agree that there is definitely a place for Lori in the post-New 52/Rebirth-era DC universe. The only problem now is when best to reintroduce her into the main continuity...and what she will physically look like. (Will she have pointed and/or fin-shaped ears? Webbed and/or slightly clawed fingers? Visible gills? Fins on her hips? A longer tail (a la Suli Stellamaris from Seven Soldiers: Bulleteer Vol. 1 #3), perhaps?)
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Honey Lemon! GoGo! Fred! Yokai! Lori Lemaris!)

Post by Jabroniville »

MEGA MAN X2:
-Because this is Capcom, the following year saw the release of Mega Man X2. The odd thing about this series is... I never played any games after the first one. But I LOVED the first one! I think the combination of lack of rental (I assume it wasn't at First Choice Video) and lack of funds (I was thirteen years old in 1993, and didn't have a paper route or anything) meant that I just never got around to it, because I would totally have played this if given the option.

-The innovations are of course light- once Capcom likes a game, that's all you're gonna get out of them. You face eight new Maverick Hunters, a returning Sigma, and three minibosses carrying the three parts of dear, departed Zero, who died in the first game. This of course allows him to be rebuilt. If you fail to collect them, you face Zero yourself in combat. If you get all three, Zero appears to destroy a gray "clone" of himself in Sigma's lair.
Jabroniville

Flame Stag & Bubble Crab

Post by Jabroniville »

FLAME STAG
PL 10 (141)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA -- AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Intimidation 6 (+6)
Perception 3 (+3)
Technology 3 (+3)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Defensive Attack, Equipment 10 (Semi-Difficult Base), Improved Critical (Boss Attack), Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8, Startle

Powers:
"Robot Master Frame"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
"Robotic Frame" Protection 8 [8]

"Speed Burner" Blast 8 (Feats: Accurate) (17) -- [18]
  • AE: "Fire Dash" Damage 8 (Feats: Accurate) (9)
"Wall-Climbing" Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Fire Dash +12 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Speed Burner +12 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +8, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Weakness (Bubble Splash & Sonic Slicer)- Flame Stag takes extra damage from either of these attacks.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 24 / Powers: 40 + 20 / Defenses: 12 (141)

-Flame Stag lives in a pretty difficult-looking stage consisting of LOTS of narrow corriders that require carefully-timed Wall-Climbing and dive-bombing insects. He's a fairly jumpy villain, much like the Robot Masters in the original Mega Man series, and has a fairly solid design- a muscular guy with a stag's head and antlers made of fire. In combat, he thows alternating fireballs either across the screen or diagonally upwards, and his flames turn blue when he has half of his life remaining- a really neat touch. Using his weakness, he can get caught in a loop that never ends. When you beat him, you gain the Speed Burner, which is either a trail of flames, or (when charged) you can dash forward while engulfed in flames, thus burning any enemies in front of you.

Bestows the:
"Speed Burner" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (16) -- [17]
  • AE: "Burner Dash" Damage 8 (Feats: Accurate) (9)

BUBBLE CRAB
PL 10 (155)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA -- AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Intimidation 6 (+6)
Perception 3 (+3)
Technology 3 (+3)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Defensive Attack, Equipment 10 (Semi-Difficult Base), Improved Critical (Boss Attack), Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8, Startle

Powers:
"Robot Master Frame"
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

"Energy Bubble" Energy Aura 7 (28) -- [29]
  • AE: "Crab Claws" Damage 8 (8)
"Crab Walk" Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Speed Burner +12 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +8, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Weakness (Spin Wheel)- Bubble Crab takes extra damage from the Spin Wheel, which can also knock him away.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 24 / Powers: 40 + 33 / Defenses: 13 (155)

-Bubble Crab has a look to go along with that silly name, being ball-shaped and squat. His stage also requires back-tracking, as one of the power ups REQUIRES BUBBLE CRAB'S WEAPON in order to be reached. He's quite tough to beat, however, being very fast and spastically-moving, and his "Boss Room" involves raising and lowering the water level at random, meaning you could easily end up right above him, where his "Crab Claws" (which point directly upwards) could slash you. The weapon you gain from him is the worthless Bubble Splash, which is a slow-moving series of bubbles that rise up to diagonally. Very dumb.

Bestows the:
"Bubble Aura" Damaging Aura 6 (24) -- [25]
  • AE: "Bubble Splash" Blast 7 (Extras: Multiattack) (Inaccurate -1 Outside of Water), Diminished Range -2) (18)
"High Jump" Leaping 2 (Flaws: Limited to Within Water) [1]
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

DominusExMachina wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:49 am Here's hoping the generic Poseidonian and Tritonian templates show up in a later post...beyond that, Jab, I'd say you've clearly done Lori justice.
Thanks! It was interesting to look into the history of a once-recurring character who's been around so much, yet I've never read about beforehand! I have no idea how the Atlantean stuff works in DC, however- their Wiki page didn't provide much help as to who was different from whom- for all I know they're identical except one has mermaid tails... and possibly telepathy.
As for the pre-Crisis-era Lori, might I suggest the following Complication:[Disability (Strange Appearance): Like all who are native to the Atlantean city-state of Tritonis, Lori has a fish-like tail instead of legs, the result of a curse levied by the sorcerer and prophet Shalako against the people of Tritonis over 10,000 years ago. As such, while on land, Lori requires a wheelchair to move around.
Hm, maybe!
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ken

Post by Ken »

DominusExMachina wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:49 am
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:08 am
Powers:
"Mermaid Physiology" Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic) [2]
Swimming 6 [6]
Immunity 3 (Drowning, Cold, Pressure) [3]
"Telepathy" Mind-Reading 8 [16]
Here's hoping the generic Poseidonian and Tritonian templates show up in a later post...beyond that, Jab, I'd say you've clearly done Lori justice.
Dude. The "generic template" is right there. Change the word "Mermaid" and that will work for any Atlantean. Anything else about Lori was unique to her being her.
Last edited by Ken on Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Jack of Spades wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:57 am I've been saying for a while that you can judge the health of the DCU by the presence of Ralph Dibney, the World-Famous Elongated Man. If your version of the DCU cannot tolerate Ralph's existence, then it is doomed. The same could be said of Lori. That's why I'm heartened to see Ralph appearing in The Flash this season. Maybe Lori will show up on Supergirl.
Interesting point, and I might agree! Though when I was a kid, my first DC comic was a Flash issue containing a guy named "The Elongated Man" and a big fat dude named "Chunk". I laughed my ass off, and decided that my preconceived notion that DC sucked and Marvel was rad was correct.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:40 pm I'm totally fine with you spamming 'em out if need be, since there's so many guys to get through. I'm really glad you're doing these, too, since I like the Mega Man franchise in general a lot. I hope it wasn't too much of a slog, especially since Megaman X7 is such a pain to play or watch (and I actually owned a copy! I have no idea why..), especially a certain boss who would probably subject the opposing characters to a Dazzle Audio effect every turn.
The first couple games were fun to get through, but after a point, the Mavericks get a bit "same-y". The occasional rare power was seen less-often than in Mega Man, though the Bosses here are MUCH more versatile and often way more well-designed, which helped.

Mega Man X7 was indeed the worst... particularly because I built FLAME HYENARD first, with the sound on, and immediately went "f*ck it- the rest are all gonna be Wiki-built".
Ken

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:45 am
Jack of Spades wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:57 am I've been saying for a while that you can judge the health of the DCU by the presence of Ralph Dibney, the World-Famous Elongated Man. If your version of the DCU cannot tolerate Ralph's existence, then it is doomed. The same could be said of Lori. That's why I'm heartened to see Ralph appearing in The Flash this season. Maybe Lori will show up on Supergirl.
Interesting point, and I might agree! Though when I was a kid, my first DC comic was a Flash issue containing a guy named "The Elongated Man" and a big fat dude named "Chunk". I laughed my ass off, and decided that my preconceived notion that DC sucked and Marvel was rad was correct.
Chunk was a bizarre character.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Wire Sponge & Magna Centipede

Post by Jabroniville »

WIRE SPONGE
PL 10 (139)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA -- AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+13)
Intimidation 6 (+6)
Perception 3 (+3)
Ranged Combat (Blasts) 2 (+12)
Technology 3 (+3)

Advantages:

Powers:
"Robot Master Frame"
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

Root Blast 6 (Feats: Accurate) (13) -- [15]
  • AE: "Razor Wire" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach 2, Improved Critical) (5)
  • AE: "Lightning Strike" Blast 8 (Feats: Accurate, Indirect- From Above) (Flaws: Limited to While Damaged) (10)
Movement 1 (Swinging) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Razor Wire +11 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Lightning Strike +12 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Roots +12 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +8, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Weakness (Sonic Slicer)- Wire Sponge takes extra damage from the Sonic Slicer- he is even -2 to Dodge against it, as it cuts through his spinning wires!

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 24 / Powers: 40 + 17 / Defenses: 12 (139)

-I give them credit for thinking outside the box with animal types, even for the second game, but this guy looks like a cactus with jump-ropes. His stage has a small "gimmick" that's just about changing between night and day, giving you different types of enemies in each version, but nothing major. Wire Sponge hangs from the ceiling to slowly lob stuff at you, tries to spear you with his Razor Wire, or summons electrical blasts from above once he's been hurt enough. His spinning wire will also block incoming shots, making him one of the more Dodge-happy Mavericks. The Strike Chain you get from beating him is a worthless weapon, but has utility functions like grappling nearby walls when you strike them.

Bestows the:
"Strike Chain" Strength-Damage +4 (Feats: Reach 2) [6]
Movement 1 (Swinging) [2]

MAGNA CENTIPEDE
PL 10 (142)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA -- AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+13)
Intimidation 6 (+6)
Perception 3 (+3)
Ranged Combat (Blasts) 2 (+12)
Technology 3 (+3)

Advantages:

Powers:
"Robot Master Frame"
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) [2]
"Four-Armed" Extra Limbs 2 [2]
"Maverick Virus" Affliction 8 (Strength; Impaired/Disabled/Transformed to Powerless) (Feats: Reach) (Extras: Cumulative) (17) -- [20]
  • AE: Teleport 2 (Feats: Change Direction) (5)
  • AE: "Shurikens" Blast 7 (14)
  • AE: "Magnet Mine" Blast 8 (16)
Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Maverick Virus +11 (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Magnet Mine +10 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Shurikens +10 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +8, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Weakness (Silk Shot)- Magna Centipede takes extra damage from the Silk Shot- it even destroys his tail in one hit, causing him to lose those attacks!

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 24 / Powers: 40 + 24 / Defenses: 9 (143)

-Magna Centipede has an interesting look, being tall and thin, made up of segmented pieces that extend way past his head, ending in the trademark fangs of a centipede. His stage has a solid gimmick- largely absent of foes, it has a bunch of searchlights that move back and forth- avoid them, and it's smooth sailing. Touch one, and enemies and traps are unleashed. Magna himself does a lot of "Warping" about his stage, often ending up on the ceiling, where he leaps down to attack you. His most devastating attack, however, is the "Maverick Virus", which afflicts Mega Man with a virus that causes him to lose access to his various powers. The first strike removes his ability to do Charged Shots! Then he takes away your Multiattack, then your dashing, then your leaping abilty! Truly a scary opponent. The Magnet Mine attack you gain by defeating him is just a slow-moving Blast, making its usefulness limited.

Bestows the:
"Magnet Mine" Blast 8 (16)
StarGuard

Re: Jab's Builds! (GoGo! Fred! Yokai! Lori Lemaris! Mega Man X!)

Post by StarGuard »

If the votes are yet to be tallied I vote LoSH and Overwatch ... sadly I have no knowledge of this Mega-Man material :(
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

StarGuard wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:35 am If the votes are yet to be tallied I vote LoSH and Overwatch ... sadly I have no knowledge of this Mega-Man material :(
No prob- these will take a week at most, and then it's Primal Rage, Gargoyles and some Then probably Overwatch, which is now winning.

Nobody voted for poor Wolverine and Disney, sadly...
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

You know my vote is for the LoSH.
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

Long Live the Legion!
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:42 am
StarGuard wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:35 am If the votes are yet to be tallied I vote LoSH and Overwatch ... sadly I have no knowledge of this Mega-Man material :(
No prob- these will take a week at most, and then it's Primal Rage, Gargoyles and some Then probably Overwatch, which is now winning.

Nobody voted for poor Wolverine and Disney, sadly...
I was going to vote for Wolverine posts but for some reason I thought you said you were already doing them :?
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

My experience with Mega Man X is more limited than the earlier games, but it was fun and I like the Robot Master's designs and dig that they're animal themed.

I do find it weird that they went with fire powers for the Mammoth character though...
Formerly luketheduke86