Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Skaramine

Re: Jab's Builds! (Mordru! Time Trapper! LOSH Builds Done!)

Post by Skaramine »

Between Morts, unstoppable beasts who never really got to show off their lethality, (C'mon, Superboy or Mon-El could have been put in a hospital bed by Persuader or Mano to give them their "props."), or brains with glass jaws, that's the whole of the Legion's opposing forces.

And heck, a lot of the Legion were glass cannons too.
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
Jabroniville

Raptor (Hazlett)

Post by Jabroniville »

RAPTOR I (Paul Hazlett)
Created By:
Robert M. Ingersoll & Mike Gustovich
First Appearance: Marvel Super-Heroes #1 (May 1990)
Role: One-Off Villain
PL 7 (71)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills: 
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 2 (+3)
Perception 2 (+3)
Technology 4 (+10)

Advantages:
Equipment (Hand-Held Blade +2), Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Raptor Suit" (Flaws: Removable) [18]
"Anti-Gravity Generator" Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)
"Adamantium-Weave Mesh" Protection 4 (4)
"Goggles" Senses 1 (Infravision) (1)
"Adamantium-Tipped Beak" Strength-Damage +3 (3)
-- (22 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Blade +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Beak +8 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2 (+6 Costume), Fortitude +3, Will +3

Complications: 
Enemy (Roxxon)- Paul was ruined in a legal battle with Roxxon over his Anti-Gravity Harness, and seeks revenge.
Power Loss (Flight)- The Anti-Gravity Generator is all he needs to fly, but the Wings help Paul steer and maneuver- presumably, his maneuverability falls apart if the metal wings are hindered. Also, he keeps the batteries for the generator in an easily-accessible location, which is what stopped him in his only appearance.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 18 / Defenses: 8 (71)

-Created way before Jurassic Park made the word cool, the first Raptor was a one-off guy created by some people I've never heard of. He was an inventor who worked for Roxxon Oil Company (the "Evil Corporation" du jour of Marvel in the '80s & early '90s, when mistrust and hatred of "Big Oil" was at a fevered pitch, not unlike today). His great "Anti-Gravity Generator" invention should have made him rich, but Roxxon successfully argued that it was made on company time, and so they took it from him, bleeding him dry in court when he tried to fight them. Broke, he of course stole his invention and became a super-villain (somehow finding ADAMANTIUM, despite his poverty being a major aspect of his origin), but was defeated in by Moon Knight in his only appearance, when the hero... removed the batteries from his suit.

-If the lawsuit thing sounds absurdly unfair, keep in mind that it is STILL something corporations fight about, and was a major thing in 2006 after the "Bratz" line of dolls hit huge, and took a chunk out of Mattel's "Barbie" sales. Mattel being Mattel (ie. not afraid to fight dirty- they are VICIOUS; The Toys That Made Us indicated they had a spy reveal the nature of Jem and the Holograms to the company, allowing them to spam out the competing Barbie and the Rockers line soon enough to kill Hasbro's Jem within a year), they went after the creator, who'd been a Mattel employee. And they WON the lawsuit, proving that he'd had the idea for "Bratz" while on the job at Mattel, and so the "Bratz" were actually THEIR intellectual property, not his. And they won to the measure of $100 MILLION DOLLARS. And to the point where MGA, who owned the line, had to hand it over to Mattel!

-However, cooler heads prevailed, and one judge negated another, finding it "draconian". They fought and fought, past the point of the doll line's popularity (like Captain Marvel before them, the lawsuit came to a head during a time when the actual property was falling in popularity as well). It wasn't until 2011 that the courts favored MGA, and Mattel was ordered to pay $310 f*cking million (!!!) for attorney fees, stealing trade secrets, and false claims. Oh, and there's ANOTHER lawsuit out there, seeking in excess of $1 billion (with a "B"!!!), again over Mattel's unfair, litigious practices!

-So yes, this one-off nothing character, and the most interesting thing I can find is the most infamous example of "You worked for us when you invented this, so it's ours" I can think of. It sounds pretty ludicrous, honestly- I'm amazed that's actually the law. Sounds like something big business created to prevent people from just learning the job at THEIR company, and then just moving off on their own and using what they've learned against the big dogs.

-Raptor is a one-off goof, so I made him PL 6.5-ish. PL 7 defensively, because of course he's wearing ADAMANTIUM WEAVE, despite being poor.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

The Raptor suit itself was rather cool,in my eyes.If someone with some Air Force/Military training used it,he/she would've been PL 8,PL 9 at the lowest.

FYI:Ford was the jerkwads that got that stuff passed in the first place(and,just like Damocles and his Sword,it was used successfully against them decades later...Ah,poetic Irony! :D ).
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Validus! C. Superman! Computo! Mordru! Universo!)

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 5:08 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:29 am BEHOLD!!! Coming up in only two days...

"Uranus Planet Powerrrrrrr... Make Up!" "Neptune Planet Powerrrrrrrr... Make Up!"
Looking forward to the Sailor Moon S set (I'm curious on seeing if the Professor/Germatoid will be included this time), though I'd also like to see builds for the SuperS and Stars villains at some point, for completion's sake (Besides Galaxia, who you already built, I believe), but that's probably far in the future, if at all, and if it never happens, that's fine.
I'm re-building as I watch the new dub as it's released- I finally finished S, but they only JUST released the first part of SuperS, so that's a long, long ways off.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

So... Raptor is basically the Falcon, only instead of being telepathically linked to a bird, he has adamantium pajamas. :shock:
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

Great name... but he had an armor piercing beak? WHERE?

Killer Shrike was still more fun.
Just call me Doug.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Skaramine wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 2:26 am Great name... but he had an armor piercing beak? WHERE?
In a place they couldn't show and still be approved by the Comics Code, apparently.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Skaramine wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 2:26 am Killer Shrike was still more fun.
He's a Killer Shrike
Gunpowder, moped bike
Dynamite fishin' for a pike
Guaranteed to blow your mind
Anytime...
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

MacynSnow wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:45 am The Raptor suit itself was rather cool,in my eyes.If someone with some Air Force/Military training used it,he/she would've been PL 8,PL 9 at the lowest.

FYI:Ford was the jerkwads that got that stuff passed in the first place(and,just like Damocles and his Sword,it was used successfully against them decades later...Ah,poetic Irony! :D ).
Interesting - what's the full story there?
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 3:32 am
Skaramine wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 2:26 am Killer Shrike was still more fun.
He's a Killer Shrike
Gunpowder, moped bike
Dynamite fishin' for a pike
Guaranteed to blow your mind
Anytime...
:lol:
Just call me Doug.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

so somehow, three guys named "Raptor" escaped my notice while doing the "R" builds, which I uncovered while looking at the "1993 Annual" guys, so I have something to bridge the gap between the Legion and Sailor Moon.
Jabroniville

Raptor (Wilton)

Post by Jabroniville »

RAPTOR II (Gary Wilton, Jr.)
Created By:
Roy & Dann Thomas & Dave Ross
First Appearance: Avengers West Coast Annual #8 (1993)
Role: Introverted Wimp, Animalistic Hero
PL 7 (71)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Perception 4 (+4)

Advantages:
Evasion, Improved Initiative

Powers:
Flight 6 (120 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [6]
"Prehensile Tail" Extra Limb 1 [1]
"Sharp Beak & Claws" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Split) [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Claws +6 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +6, Fortitude +6, Will +2

Complications:
Responsibility (Timid)- Gary grew up coddled and protected by his nervous mother, and developed a very timid personality. His stepfather's verbal abuse and chiding has only made this worse, not better.
Normal Identity (Gary, Jr.)- Gary's normal form is ST 0, STA 0, AGI 0, FIGHTING 0.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 4--2 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 10 / Defenses: 9 (71)

1993 saw the production of a serious of Annuals in the Marvel Universe, each of which featured a brand-new character, and was packaged with a trading card featuring that character. In almost every case, these characters were horrible one-offs and almost none of them ever reappeared. Most are extremely dated to their early-1990s point of creation.

-Gary Wilton Jr. was the timid, coddled son of a pharmaceutical scientist who'd been obsessed with curing some genetic abnormalities in the boy while he was in utero. When a car accident killed Gary's father, and caused her premature labour, she became obsessive about protecting him. Gary's stepfather was intolerant of his timidity, and bullied him through negative reinforcement, not helping matters. But when Gary was nearly killed after stumbling into a gangland murder, the results of his mother's alterations became clear, and he turned into the Raptor.

-Gary was frightened of his new form, but soon stumbled into a conflict between Ultron and Alkhema with the Avengers West Coast branch- the robots captured the heroes, but Raptor escaped and warned Iron Man about what happened, sending in reinforcements. Ultron & Alkhema soon started brawling after a philosophical issue, and everything went sideways.

-Raptor was last seen trying to flee the U.S. and into France along with several other superhumans during the course of Civil War, but was confronted by Le Peregrine. The first Raptor is a one-off Moon Knight foe from Marvel Comics Presents, while the third is a Spider-Man foe who debuted in 2009. I somehow missed both of those guys when statting the "R"s.

-Given his single real appearance, I'm calling him PL 7, despite his apparent Super-Strength.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Yeah, I have the issue where Raptor appears, and he is VERY lame. It's like someone wanted to do another Hulk-concept (bullied introvert with uncontrollable transformation), but while the Hulk is an expression of Banner's rage given form in the body of a giant, hulking powerhouse, Raptor is an ugly orange birdman with nothing to him. It'd be something if his bird form was some kind of representation of his desire to be free, but nope. And the issue basically ends with the kid hoping he never transforms again. You and the rest of us, kid. You and the rest of us.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:43 am Yeah, I have the issue where Raptor appears, and he is VERY lame. It's like someone wanted to do another Hulk-concept (bullied introvert with uncontrollable transformation), but while the Hulk is an expression of Banner's rage given form in the body of a giant, hulking powerhouse, Raptor is an ugly orange birdman with nothing to him. It'd be something if his bird form was some kind of representation of his desire to be free, but nope. And the issue basically ends with the kid hoping he never transforms again. You and the rest of us, kid. You and the rest of us.
Roy Thomas was very... un-good, around this point in time. His Avengers West Coast run was kind of a mess. I'm pretty sure it was the last time he was a relevant writer, as he was a poor fit for the "Image Era" of comics (this was DEEP into that time period, actually). He did his legacy a world of good by bailing to edit a Comics-themed magazine.
statue345

Post by statue345 »

I know this guy came first, but he looks just like a yu-gi-oh card I used to have.