Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
MacynSnow

Re: Jab's Builds! (Madam Slay! Klaw! Shuri! The Blob! Brass! Blackout!)

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:05 am Wow- where'd you find that?
I actually had them fully wrote up for an MnM 3e game i'm planning on running involving Bishop's future timeline,so your welcome....:D

I also have almost all of Bishop's solo book series,so i had plenty of resources to double check.....
Jabroniville

Belladonna

Post by Jabroniville »

BELLADONNA (Narda Ravanna)
Created By:
Roger Stern & Mike Zeck
First Appearance: The Spectacular Spider-Man #43 (June 1980)
Role: Forgotten Villain
Group Affiliation: None
PL 8 (68)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Business) 4 (+8)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+8)
Insight 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Equipment 5 (Gas Gun, Rebreather)

Powers:
"Assortment of Perfumes In Suit" (Flaws: Removable) [18]
"Neo-Atropine Gas" Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed & Impaired/Stunned & Disabled/Incapacitated) (Extras: Area- 15ft. Cloud) Linked to Concealment 2 (Visuals) (Extras: Area- 15ft. Cloud) (22 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Gas +8 Area (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +2, Fortitude +2, Will +2

Complications:
Enemy (Roderick Kingsley)- Kingsley destroyed the careers of the Ravanna sisters when they refused to sell their perfume business to him.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 18 / Defenses: 2 (68)

-Belladonna (unrelated to Bella Donna Boudreaux, the wife of Gambit) is a character extremely similar to Karisma, created by John Byrne for a 1971 College newspaper comic (he later translated her to Marvel in 1984- four years after Belladonna appeared). Both are glamorous women who wear veiled headgear and are expert chemists that gain powers from perfume. She attempted to murder Roderick Kingsley for ruining her name and reputation (he wanted her company; she refused to sell), but she, her gang, and the Prowler (who was trying to get revenge for her framing him as a murderer) were all captured by Spider-Man. She has never reappeared outside of this two-part story.

-Belladonna is a decent businesswoman who uses a noxious, inacapacitating gas as both a gun and as part of her costume. She has few skills beyond that, however, and cannot do much fighting- she only escapes Spider-Man by slipping out of her overcoat (and thus out of his grasp), then blinding him with a light.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue May 10, 2022 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Re: Jab's Builds! (Bishop! Black Swan, Black Goliath & Black Talons! Blink!)

Post by MacynSnow »

Ah,Bella what would i do without your Criminal revenge schemes? :)
In all seriousness,i actually have a fondness for the Kingsley-era Hobgoblin run,as the mystery of who was behind that mask made me go into "Conspiracy Nut" mode turning the wall of my Uncle's garage into this wall of weird.I'd buy two copies of each issue just so i could cut one to pieces and place on "The Wall".....it was a lonely time in my life.....
Jabroniville

Battleworld

Post by Jabroniville »

BATTLEWORLD:
-Battleworld was the setting for the 1980s mega-crossover Secret Wars, and was formed by the cosmic Beyonder in order to test Marvel's heroes and villains. It was created from portions of many planets, including a sliver of Denver, Colorado (which was later split off by Owen Reese, the Molecule Man). As the planet was imbued with the Beyonder's cosmic energy, it soon enacted a "Wish Fulfillment" thing, as various characters could make things happen by wishing them. Ben Grimm, in particular, decided to stay on Battleworld at the end of the story, as it was the one place where he could remain human.

-Battleworld was thus the setting for The Thing, a short-lived series where Ben transformed into the Thing to fight various baddies, such as Ultron (who had been left of Battleworld) and Grimm the Sorcerer- Ben's own dark side. When Ben chose to leave Battleworld, it split apart, having no more reason to exist.

-A second Battleworld was formed by The Stranger (disguised as The Beyonder) in Beyond!- an irate Stranger destroyed it, but the hero Gravity sacrificed his life in order to save everybody, holding it together just long enough. He was soon resurrected by Epoch to become the new Protector of the Universe.

-The third Battleworld was formed in the way of the latest Secret Wars, by Doctor Doom, now with the power of a God- he constructed it from various alternate universes, allowing there to be dozens of Tony Starks, Thors, etc. all across the planet. He formed a "Thor Corps." of defenders as a police force, but allowed the various "Barons" to rule slivers of the patchwork planet. It was destroyed at story's end, as Reed Richards restarted the universe.
Jabroniville

Blockbuster (aka Heat-Ray)

Post by Jabroniville »

BLOCKBUSTER II (Fredric Woolrich, aka Heat-Ray)
Created By:
Chris Claremont, David Michelinie & Mike Zeck
First Appearance: Captain America #258 (June 1981)
Role: One-Off Villain
Group Affiliations: None
PL 8 (87)
STRENGTH
3/8 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 2 (+2)
Expertise (Arsonist) 6 (+8)
Technology 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Blockbuster Powersuit" (Flaws: Removable) [33]
Enhanced Strength 5 (10)
Protection 5 (5)
Immunity 7 (Heat, Fire Damage, Suffocation) (7)
Senses 1 (Infravision) (1)

"Flame Spout" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (16) -- (18)
  • AE: "Force Beam" Blast 7 (14)
  • AE: "Ground Shockwave" Affliction 8 (Strength; Dazed/Defenseless) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Grounded Targets) (8)
-- (41 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Suit Strength +7 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Force Beam +7 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Flame Spout +8 Area (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Shockwave +8 Area (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +3 (+8 Costume), Fortitude +3, Will +2

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Blockbuster burns down buildings for money- he doesn't even care if people get injured, figuring that just makes his job (to clear out areas for big developers to take over) easier.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 33 / Defenses: 8 (87)

-Blockbuster appears in a pretty good issue of Captain America I picked up on a lark- it's a 1981 issue written by Chris Claremont & David Michelinie- I was actually stunned by how good the early part was compared to what I was expecting... and checked the bylines and discovered that of course it was CLAREMONT (working on a fill-in after Roger Stern & John Byrne had left the book) on the first half. It was during the "Bernie Rosenthal" era, when Steve was living in an old brownstone populated by an all-new supporting case of normal people, as Sharon Carter had just died (a fan even wrote in saying she never felt like "a real character", as opposed to Bernie).

-In the issue, the building across from Steve & Bernie is attacked by an arsonist, and Cap nearly dies trying to save people inside- a co-worker of his fellow tenant, a firefighter named Mike, dies saving Cap's life. It's a very grim, serious issue, dealing with the then-major crisis of landlords & big developers bribing arsonists to destroy buildings so that they can re-sell the land at higher value. This was a HUGE problem in New York at the time, in particular the Bronx ("The Bronx is burning" was a catchphrase of the times thanks to Howard Cosell's comments from a helicopter, and there were often a dozen arsons PER DAY in that borough!), and news about it led pretty much directly to this issue, a few years after the peak of the arsons. It's also a nice reminder of the neat thing about "human-level heroes"- even someone as super-powered as CAP is brought low by "common" threats like fire, smoke and ash. As an ordinary man with merely "peak human" physiology, any of that can and will kill him.

-And of course it has a "Comic Book" element, as the arsonist (who appears like a regular guy at first) puts on a massive Powersuit that turns him into a classic super-villain, and he nearly gets the drop on Cap. Cap leads him to a wharf, where a warehouse is torched, and Cap has to use careful tactics, guile and precision to defeat a guy who can set fires anywhere he pleases- he gets a sneak attack to knock Blockbuster into the burning warehouse, then lures him into grabbing Cap in a bearhug- this allows him to smash his suit's power with the Shield, and Blockbuster almost immediately passes out from the smoke and heat.

-Also, the issue has some REALLY good art. Given that it was drawn by MIKE ZECK, who is known for oddly half-assed art featuring barrel-chested cartoon characters, that's a bit surprising. In fact, it looks very much like Zeck is aping- successfully, mind you- the last Cap artist, John Byrne. The wide faces, broad chins and huge eyes are dead-giveaways.

-Blockbuster later changes his name to "Heat-Ray", and joins a bunch of Jobbers (Slasher, Slither) as part of The Fangs.

-Blockbuster is pretty tough, and can take a punch, but in a fair fight he's pretty screwed. He hampers Cap by using Area Attacks and the environment (he's immune to most of the effects of fire, heat and smoke- Cap is not), but Cap can easily hit him in open-air, and pretty much one-shots him when he gets in range of the thing powering Blockbuster's suit. He is rapidly-overwhelmed by smoke and the heat inside his costume- Cap has to remove the suit and carry the guy out, miraculously surviving the smoky, burning warehouse.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Blockbuster (aka Heat-Ray)

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:40 am
-Blockbuster appears in a pretty good issue of Captain America I picked up on a lark- it's a 1981 issue written by Chris Claremont & David Michelinie- I was actually stunned by how good the early part was compared to what I was expecting... and checked the bylines and discovered that of course it was CLAREMONT (working on a fill-in after Roger Stern & John Byrne had left the book) on the first half. It was during the "Bernie Rosenthal" era, when Steve was living in an old brownstone populated by an all-new supporting case of normal people, as Sharon Carter had just died (a fan even wrote in saying she never felt like "a real character", as opposed to Bernie).

-In the issue, the building across from Steve & Bernie is attacked by an arsonist, and Cap nearly dies trying to save people inside- a co-worker of his fellow tenant, a firefighter named Mike, dies saving Cap's life. It's a very grim, serious issue, dealing with the then-major crisis of landlords & big developers bribing arsonists to destroy buildings so that they can re-sell the land at higher value. This was a HUGE problem in New York at the time, in particular the Bronx ("The Bronx is burning" was a catchphrase of the times thanks to Howard Cosell's comments from a helicopter, and there were often a dozen arsons PER DAY in that borough!), and news about it led pretty much directly to this issue, a few years after the peak of the arsons. It's also a nice reminder of the neat thing about "human-level heroes"- even someone as super-powered as CAP is brought low by "common" threats like fire, smoke and ash. As an ordinary man with merely "peak human" physiology, any of that can and will kill him.

-And of course it has a "Comic Book" element, as the arsonist (who appears like a regular guy at first) puts on a massive Powersuit that turns him into a classic super-villain, and he nearly gets the drop on Cap. Cap leads him to a wharf, where a warehouse is torched, and Cap has to use careful tactics, guile and precision to defeat a guy who can set fires anywhere he pleases- he gets a sneak attack to knock Blockbuster into the burning warehouse, then lures him into grabbing Cap in a bearhug- this allows him to smash his suit's power with the Shield, and Blockbuster almost immediately passes out from the smoke and heat.
I just gave the issue a read, and it is very good, a reminder of what Claremont could do in his prime. Steve and Bernie are a cute couple, they feel like real people and it does a great job actually establishing and fleshing out the hero's supporting cast. Steve himself feels like a real person, and it's an interesting reminder of how Steve use to actually have a supporting cast, a secret identity, a job, he use to have a normal life that helped humanize him. There's a moment when the firefighter that lives in the building comes home, and Steve is part of a group of friends that are there to comfort him when one of his fellow firemen died. It feels real and natural, a nice kind of quiet that isn't talking heads. It actually makes me wonder what current comic Steve does when he isn't Capt. America, given he no longer has a secret identity, apparently doesn't have a job, nor "normal" friends, and oh right, he became the most hated man in the world because Nick Spencer wanted to show he could ruin the character worse than Bendis and Millar could.

You also get nice bits where normal people aren't assholes. When Cap shows up to save people from the burning building, one helpful resident lets Cap know that there's an older guy who probably couldn't get out by himself, and the guy even offers to help Cap get the guy out. It's a nice portrayal of common people as, you know, not assholes. And then we also see firefighters doing their jobs and saving lives, including Cap's. We also get a sobering reminder of how dangerous the job is when one of them dies saving Steve. It's a nice reminder, again, that the comic knows that civil servants like fireman, first responders and police officers are real heroes. When Steve and the rest are trying to be there for the firefighter, the latter has a realistic reaction to the kind of life they lead, and goes on to describe, as Jab mentioned, a very real problem the world faced, and manages to do it without being preachy, political or condescending.

Blockbuster makes for a decent, if not very deep one-shot threat. The guy is a professional firebug who, when he realized Capt. America might get involved, has Justin Hammer design him a fire-themed suit of Iron Man-lite armor, with text boxes actually explaining who Justin Hammer is and where you can read about some of his last appearances. It's again something they use to do to explain things to new readers and make the Marvel Universe feel more connected.

The fight's also interesting, in that Blockbuster actually fights intelligently for the most part and Cap has to be equally clever to win. These days I imagine Cap would have taken him out with a simple shield-toss to the face. I'm sounding like such an old fart, but it's a nice reminder that even one-shot mooks use to actually be dangerous even to skilled and seasoned heroes like Cap, and that new villain stink made a degree of sense. Nowadays unless you're a big name villain, you're practically a joke.

We also get a bit of a bittersweet ending where Blockbuster is caught, but the police detective acknowledges that Blockbuster will likely enter a plea deal to help put the guy that hired him in jail, and get a reduced sentence because of it. And while the scumbag that hired the arsonist does indeed go to jail, it is with the knowledge that Blockbuster could be out on the street again, and soon. It's a bit of realism that doesn't feel forced, and has a "our legal system isn't perfect, but it's the best we've got" sort of feel that you get from a good cop drama.

So wow, a one-off breather issue that dealt with a genuine real world problem that manages to be humanizing while also ramping it up to comic book levels and has a one-off villain who serves his point but can be brought back later. The hero is threatened and challenged in a realistic way, acknowledges civil servants as the real heroes, and uses cleverness rather than BS to defeat the bad guy, but also spares the villains life.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I dearly miss it when comics were like this. And surprise surprise, it's from the Shooter era.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Bludgeon

Post by Jabroniville »

BLUDGEON (Anthony Manning)
Created By:
Mark Gruenwald & Paul Neary
First Appearance: Captain America #328 (April 1987)
Role: Jobber Villain
Group Affiliations: The Fangs
PL 7 (72)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 2 (+3)
Expertise (Criminal) 2 (+2)

Advantages:
Equipment 4 (Gun, Jet Pack), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Power Broker Treatments"
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Gun +6 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +7, Fortitude +7, Will +2

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 4--2 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 3 / Defenses: 6 (72)

-Bludgeon is a minion and client of The Power Broker, given tremendous strength like the other super-roided guys (including the mighty Jackhammer and his Power-Tools). Used as a useless Minion in his debut, he lost in a fair fight to FREAKING D-MAN OF ALL PEOPLE, and got re-used by Gru for "The Fangs" as a minion of Viper (alongside jobber idiots like Slasher & Slither). He was badly injured when Cap knocked Slasher into him- note to others: do not form a team with a guy who is COVERED IN SPIKES. The character has not reappeared, but is a pretty bog-standard bush-league Powerhouse.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue May 10, 2022 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

What i personally liked about Viper & the Fangs (I swear they sound like an 80's punk band....) was that ,while they WERE pretty low on Cap's Villian totem poll,they made up for it with both (suprisingly good) teamwork and a very cunning leader in Viper....
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

You know, I'm reading some of my old Captain America issues, and frankly, for all that the comic creators of the last 3 or 4 years like to pat themselves on the back for bringing diversity to comics, it's amazing how diverse a Captain America comic in 1982. Steve is dating a Jewish girl, he lives in a diverse boarding house, in several issues he'd hang out in Harlem, just chatting with normal people and helping them out, he had an old friend who was gay, his best friend Sam was black, etc.

It's one thing that bugged me whenever people cry "racism" and "cultural appropriation" at Iron Fist. The guy was raised in an Asian city that he considers his home, he cherishes their philosophy, lifestyle and martial arts, his best friend and girlfriend are black, his other best friend is half-Japanese while his most respected rival is Chinese. Iron Fist is one of least racist characters in comics.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

WOW. I just got to issue 275 of the old Captain America run, made way back in 1982. While the most relevant stuff is Bernie realizing who Steve really is (remember, this is back when Cap had a secret identity), more interesting was that there was a story about some Neo-Nazi's behaving like the scum of humanity they are, and holding a rally. All FIVE of them. But a Jewish man holds a protest for the rally, which draws a much larger crowd, and the Jewish man whips the protest (which was intended to be non-violent) into a frenzy and a fight break out.

Cap breaks up the fight and admonishes BOTH men. The Neo-Nazi's for denying the crimes of the past AND behaving like a scumbag, since as someone who fought the Nazi's and saved people from death camps, he knows exactly what a real Nazi was like. At the same time, Steve also calls out the Jewish protestor for letting his own hatred turn him into every bit the bully and monster the Neo-Nazi was being, since asshole or not, America guarantees everyone the right to speak. The second that guy used violence against someone who was just on a stage talking, he basically became just as bad as the guy he was against. Both men are so enraged at being called out that they attack Steve together, who sidesteps them and lets them crash off the stage and land on the ground.

It is very clear in calling out the Neo-Nazi's as scum, but it also shows that how you resist such people is just as important. Steve notes that the only reason the event got any publicity was because the counter-protestors showed up with nearly 100 people to a rally being held by 5 Neo-Nazi's, and that the press would have just ignored them if not for the protestors. It defends freedom of speech and condemns violent protests for the anarchy they are.

In an age of ANTIFA, it feels amazing relevant, and is something I doubt anyone could get away with in the modern age.

Jabroniville

Baron Brimstone

Post by Jabroniville »

BARON BRIMSTONE (William Theodoric)
Created By:
Tom DeFalco & Steve Ditko
First Appearance: Machine Man #16 (Aug. 1980)
Role: Forgotten Villain, Techno-Wizard
Group Affiliations: None
PL 8 (106)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Criminal) 2 (+7)
Insight 2 (+5)
Perception 2 (+5)
Technology 5 (+10)

Advantages:
Inventor, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Magical Powers"
"Slumber Spell" Affliction 8 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (16) -- [18]
AE: "Levitation" Flight 2 (Flaws: Low Ceiling) (2)
AE: "Hypnosis" Affliction 6 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Area- Visual Perception) (12)

"Faux-Magical Harness" (Flaws: Removable) [18]
"Noxious Gas Balls" Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Feats: Reach 2) (Extras: Area- 15ft. Cloud) (18) -- (22 points)
  • AE: Teleport 7 (14)
  • AE: "Eldritch" Blasts 8 (16)
  • AE: Force Field 5 (5)
  • AE: "Summon Demons" Illusion (Visual) 6 (12)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Hypnosis +6 Area (+6 Affliction, DC 16)
Slumber Spell +8 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Eldritch Blast +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Gas Balls +8 Area (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +3 (+8 Force Field), Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 36 / Defenses: 8 (106)

-Baron Brimstone is a little-known foe of Machine Man's, engaging in some petty crime along with Snake Marston & Hammer Harrison (aka the less-known members of The Enforcers)- despite his Jobber-ish nature, he's actually a wizard AND a technical genius. Machine Man is able to save a girl, easily beat the two weak Enforcers, and shock Brimstone by electrifying his helicopter. Brimstone later springs himself, and teams with The Sandman to fight Machine Man & Spider-Man. He next appears to fight The Wasp, but Paladin (who was on a date with her) gets involved and helps save the day.

-The Baron's next appearance was actually all the way back in Acts of Vengeance, as one of a horde of Jobber Villains (including Stilt-Man, Man-Ape, Thunderball and Orka) who'd been mind-controlled by Doctor Doom into attacking the Fantastic Four during the hearing about registering superhumans in the United States. He and the others were all defeated in moments, with Doom commenting that the whole idea of sending unknown villains against the FF was ridiculous, and that beating them was an honor only HE would know. The issue is probably most-notable for Reed successfully arguing that Superhuman Registration was a bad idea (years before he'd reverse course), and for the National Rifle Association arguing on their behalf, fearing that such things would lead to gun registration as well. This led to Ben Grimm grousing "I never thought I'd see the day when I agreed with the leader of the NRA!". Reed simply adds "their position has always been rather consistent, Ben".

-Brimstone also appears in the 2011 Heroes For Hire series, taking a twenty-year break.

-Baron Brimstone is either a 100% techno-gimmick guy, or a weak Mage with some technological gimmickry. He's only PL 8-ish, and not overly capable, but somewhat versatile and troublesome for heroes who aren't expecting him.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue May 10, 2022 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Baron Brimstone. I am so stealing that name for something. I can't believe they wasted such an awesome old school villain name on a guy like this.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:42 am Baron Brimstone. I am so stealing that name for something. I can't believe they wasted such an awesome old school villain name on a guy like this.
I just find it funny that a guy who is both a scientist AND a wizard is such a jobber. I think the only other guy with that concept in comics is friggin' DOCTOR DOOM.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

haha, OMG, the new Cable book is actually featuring an arc about the EXTERNALS. The goddamn Externals! With Gideon, Crule, Absalom and even freakin' NICODEMUS getting mentioned!! They've all been resurrected somehow (a time thing?), and Selene is getting involved! I damn near bought an issue of CABLE just to read this!

Bizarrely, Cable seems to have gathered a team of disparate X-Men as well, including Armor, which is neat to see. So the author has basically made an X-Force book without really making an X-Force book.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Ares wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:23 am You know, I'm reading some of my old Captain America issues, and frankly, for all that the comic creators of the last 3 or 4 years like to pat themselves on the back for bringing diversity to comics, it's amazing how diverse a Captain America comic in 1982. Steve is dating a Jewish girl, he lives in a diverse boarding house, in several issues he'd hang out in Harlem, just chatting with normal people and helping them out, he had an old friend who was gay, his best friend Sam was black, etc.
I think that the big difference stem from the fact that during the '80s run of Cap several of these elements were added as a plus not as the central point of a character. Today, we (the readers) know way too much about the creative process behind each book and the general feeling is that every new character is meant to be a representation of something. Was it all that different back then?
In my opinion no. If we look back Falcon and Jim Rhodes were introduced as the "black best friend" in the '70s, but since most of the creative process behind each book was something we knew nothing about this didn't irked us that much. If a writer tried something like that today he will probably be crucified by the social media even before issue #1 is out. I really don't understand how or why, but today everyone seem to have a hair trigger about something.
Ares wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:23 amIt's one thing that bugged me whenever people cry "racism" and "cultural appropriation" at Iron Fist. The guy was raised in an Asian city that he considers his home, he cherishes their philosophy, lifestyle and martial arts, his best friend and girlfriend are black, his other best friend is half-Japanese while his most respected rival is Chinese. Iron Fist is one of least racist characters in comics.

Just one more example of hair trigger in my book. If they remade Iron Fist into a Chinese character someone would probably cry "stereotype".
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)