Jab’s Builds! (Whomp 'Em! Plumbers Don't Wear Ties! ToeJam & Earl!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Arkrite

Re: Jab's Builds! (Tai Cheetah, Foxy Roxy, Dali Llama! Luke Cage!)

Post by Arkrite »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:20 am Have the ever addressed how Luke shaves?

Clark has to use his own heat vision. I know Luke isn’t nearly as invulnerable as Clark, but he’s still gotta be tougher than a Gillette safety razor, right?
I thought Luke's reoccurring line was that he had bulletproof skin... could just be that his hair isn't indestructible.

Though that being said I'm sure there is some low level super genius who's come up with a hair removal system for indestructible heroes...
Jabroniville

The To-Do List

Post by Jabroniville »

LIST O' BUILDS:
Luke Cage
Iron Fist
Misty Knight
Colleen Wing
Lei Kung the Thunderer
Yu-Ti
Jeryn Hogarth
The Immortal Weapons
Jessica Jones
Orson Randall
Wu Ao-Shi
---
Diamondback I
Cottonmouth I
Bushmaster I
Gideon Mace
Black Mariah
Piranha Jones
Cockroach Hamilton
Discus & Stiletto
Shades & Comanche
Big Ben Donovan
Cheshire Cat
Big Brother
Coldfire
Glowworm
Boris & Ninotchka
Mangler
Hardcore
Mr. Fish
Spear
Chemistro I-III
Quartermaster
The Phantom of 42nd Street
Steeplejack I-II
Lone Shark
Wildfire
The Purple Man
Senor Muerte & Senor Suerte
Lionfang
---
Howard Meachum
Davos
The Ninja
Master Khan
Montenegro
Chaka I & II
Doombringer
Impasse
Troubleshooter
Kickback
Contract
Ferocia
Scythe
Scimitar
Triple-Iron
Black Dragon
The Ninja
Goldeneye
Shou-Lao
Junzo Muto
Lionmane
Firefly
Zhou Cheng
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Black Mariah?
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:20 am Have the ever addressed how Luke shaves?

Clark has to use his own heat vision. I know Luke isn’t nearly as invulnerable as Clark, but he’s still gotta be tougher than a Gillette safety razor, right?
Apparently his hair isn't as durable as the rest of him. In the Netflix series I believe he just shaves normally.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:32 am Black Mariah?
Oh right- meant to put her there, but forgot.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

I am extremely excited about this run. Been a fan of this team for a long time.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

LUKE CAGE'S ROGUES:

-They say a hero is judged by the quality of his villains- Luke Skywalker wouldn't be so great without having Darth Vader as opposition, y'know? By those standards, Luke Cage is the WORST SUPERHERO IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE. Seriously, this guy must've had the D-League creative teams working on his book, or people with sick senses of humor, because HOLY GOD is this a huge group of losers. As a Street-Level hero, Luke had to deal with a lot of gangsters with small gimmicks to fit a "Super" book, but once he started having to deal with actual costume criminals... hoo boy. This list includes three serpent-based baddies (before Mark Gruenwald's Serpent Society), a fat black lady with a machine gun, a fish-man named Mr. Fish, a racist pyromaniac, a discus-throwing crook, someone with a mace for a hand, and a dwarf & a large Haitian doing a Piggyback/Scooby-Doo Monster gimmick.
Jabroniville

Diamondback (Stryker)

Post by Jabroniville »

DIAMONDBACK I (Willis Stryker)
Created By:
Archie Goodwin & John Romita
First Appearance: Luke Cage: Hero For Hire #1 (May 1972)
Role: One-Shot Villain
Group Affiliation: None
PL 7 (101)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+6)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+5)
Intimidation 1 (+4)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Knives), Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 4, Startle

Powers:
"Gimmick Knives" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [20]
"Toxic Gas Knives" Weaken Stamina 6 (Extras: Area- 15ft. Cloud, Ranged, Progressive +2) (Diminished Range -1) (29) -- (33 points)
  • AE: "Standard Knives" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Improved Critical) (2)
  • AE: "Throwing Knives" Strength-Damage +1 (Extras: Ranged 4) (Diminished Range -1) (4)
  • AE: "Exploding Knives" Blast 7 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Diminished Range -1) (20)
  • AE: "Sonic Knives" Dazzle Hearing 7 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Diminished Range -1) (20)
Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Knife +9 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Throwing Knives +9 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Exploding Knives +7 Area (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Sonic Knives +7 Area (+7 Affliction, DC 17)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Enemy (Luke Cage, Reva)- Cage & Diamondback are friends from way back, but Willis was jealous over the attention his girl Reva gave to Cage, and had him framed for a crime he didn't commit. Reva was then killed in the crossfire between the mob syndicates and Stryker's own gang.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 20 / Defenses: 9 (101)

-The original Diamondback, Willis Stryker is actually tied directly into Luke Cage's origin story. The two were childhood friends, growing up in a gang together, but while Carl Lucas got his life in order, Willis went further and further into things. Despite this, they remained good friends. What came between them? Well, a WOMAN, of course! Willis's girl Reva Connors was terrified when Willis made an enemy of the mob, and fell into the arms of Carl- whom she'd always been attracted to. Enraged, Willis set Carl up, planting heroin in his apartment and having him arrested by the police. Reva ended up being killed by the Maggia because she was close to Willis.

-When Carl, as "Luke Cage", escaped prison, Stryker was his first opponent. Now calling himself Diamondback, he wielded an array of Gimmick Knives, but he was killed in an explosion in the second issue of Cage's own series, having dropped an Exploding Knife after falling through a skylight window. This meant that Cage was unable to have anyone clear his name any longer, capping off the tragedy.

-It was kind of too bad, though, because having a guy tied to his origin story would have made for a good recurring villain. Having him live would have been serendipity, like the casual "Oh hey, this Joker character is still breathing" thing in the first Batman story. But instead, he remained dead until VERY modern times.

-I don't know if they ever explained why, but Diamondback turned up alive (coincidentally playing off of the use of Stryker as a major villain in the Luke Cage Netflix TV series, where he is Cage's half-brother), planning to become ruler of crime on the Eastern Seaboard. Here, he showcased superhuman strength and speed, and fought Cage & Jessica Jones numerous times, before Jessica & Iron Fist defeated him.

-Stryker is a generic Gimmick Weapon User for the most part, and didn't last long. Modern times sees him with classic "Vague Super-Strength", though modern comic book storytelling doesn't do much to explain his exact levels.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Honestly? Given how slipshod Marvel is about continuity these days-and OK, a villain coming back from seeming death isn't quite the same, but you know the writer/editor just forgot the first Diamondback was long dead-I'd just assume it was an impostor. Especially with the acquired without explanation super-powers.

IDK, unless there's a REALLY compelling story to be had with reviving a decades gone character, I think the in-universe deaths of those heroes and villains should stand. I've been wrong a few times-Bucky Barnes return turned out pretty decent in Ed Brubaker's hands, but that's pretty darn rare. But of course, I still think Norman Osborn shouldn't have returned.

(It just makes such a hollow joke of Peter chronically mourning Gwen Stacy, when Spider-Man basically let Osborn walk around free, assume control over the "Avengers", and even gain massive power in the U.S. government-the lunatic who murdered his "first real love!" And no, the Gwen-twins never happened. Ever. Never. That was a story form the Marvel 919 universe, their equivalent of Bizaro World.)

All my best.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

I've always been on the fence about Luke Cage, on the one hand I love his partnership with Danny and for the most part I like the fact that they tend to be crime fighters more than big name superheroes, on the other outside of the timing of his creation he's always been pretty meh as a character for me. I actually liked when Danny got the upgrade recently but the push of Luke to 'Avengers leader' seemed weird to me, or at least I think he was overused. Every single major even for about ten years had Cage at it's centre, every time groups of big name iconic super-heroes came together to halt a global or universal threat they had Luke Cage among them. Again I like him but he doesn't really add anything to most Avengers teams other than being another (albeit highly durable) body, he has no interesting unique abilities, he's not a particularly great fighter, he isn't an expert on anything specific nor does he have any uniquely helpful skills (I suppose his street cred among some of the peoples of New York can be helpful at times)
Thinking about it, my view of Luke might be biased based on the fact that Danny is one of my 'Red Guardian' characters so every time I see Luke involved in some big story I find myself thinking 'where's Danny'

As for their personal lives I like that Luke and Jess are one of the few married couple still together (well, so far anyway). For a long time I've thought that Danny and Colleen Wing would make a great couple, they have similar backgrounds and a similar sense of humour (I've 'shipped' them since long before they existed in the MCU)
Last edited by M4C8 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

greycrusader wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:12 pm Honestly? Given how slipshod Marvel is about continuity these days-and OK, a villain coming back from seeming death isn't quite the same, but you know the writer/editor just forgot the first Diamondback was long dead-I'd just assume it was an impostor. Especially with the acquired without explanation super-powers.

IDK, unless there's a REALLY compelling story to be had with reviving a decades gone character, I think the in-universe deaths of those heroes and villains should stand. I've been wrong a few times-Bucky Barnes return turned out pretty decent in Ed Brubaker's hands, but that's pretty darn rare. But of course, I still think Norman Osborn shouldn't have returned.

(It just makes such a hollow joke of Peter chronically mourning Gwen Stacy, when Spider-Man basically let Osborn walk around free, assume control over the "Avengers", and even gain massive power in the U.S. government-the lunatic who murdered his "first real love!" And no, the Gwen-twins never happened. Ever. Never. That was a story form the Marvel 919 universe, their equivalent of Bizaro World.)

All my best.
Despite Pete being one of my two all time favourite characters, sometimes I just want to punch him in his 'most stupid smart person ever' face
I don't know it you've read it yet so it might be 'spoiler alert' but him saving Norman yet again despite all the crazy he's just committed (including killing Flash Thompson) had me shouting 'OH FOR FUCKS SAKE PETER!' out loud.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

M4C8 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:26 pm
greycrusader wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:12 pm Honestly? Given how slipshod Marvel is about continuity these days-and OK, a villain coming back from seeming death isn't quite the same, but you know the writer/editor just forgot the first Diamondback was long dead-I'd just assume it was an impostor. Especially with the acquired without explanation super-powers.

All my best.
Despite Pete being one of my two all time favourite characters, sometimes I just want to punch him in his 'most stupid smart person ever' face
I don't know it you've read it yet so it might be 'spoiler alert' but him saving Norman yet again despite all the crazy he's just committed (including killing Flash Thompson) had me shouting 'OH FOR FUCKS SAKE PETER!' out loud.
I honestly can't blame Peter for this. I blame the writers for bringing Norman back to life and then continue to put Peter in those situations. Peter was a hero who goes to Batman-like lengths not to kill. Peter let one person die due to his inaction. He refuses to let anyone else die the same way, no matter how horrible that person might be. That kind of restraint should be admirable.

That the Green Goblin died by his own hands was poetic justice. That the writers continue to let Norman go unpunished by this point is a travesty. It's much the same issue with the Joker: him and the Goblin only work if the heroes prevent them from killing anyone 99% of the time. That these two people could rack up body counts without being executed for their crimes makes the legal system of the comics universes look ridiculous. It's one reason why I prefer animated versions of superheroes to a lot of their current comic counterparts.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Green Goblin and the Joker also suffer from being seriously overused. If they only showed up much more rarely (like they did for most of the Silver and Bronze Ages) then it wouldn’t seem like the Batman and Spider-Man were being callously indifferent to their crimes’ victims. But when they pop up every other storyline...? It gets ridiculous.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Ares wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:21 pm
M4C8 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:26 pm

All my best.
I honestly can't blame Peter for this. I blame the writers for bringing Norman back to life and then continue to put Peter in those situations. Peter was a hero who goes to Batman-like lengths not to kill. Peter let one person die due to his inaction. He refuses to let anyone else die the same way, no matter how horrible that person might be. That kind of restraint should be admirable.

That the Green Goblin died by his own hands was poetic justice. That the writers continue to let Norman go unpunished by this point is a travesty. It's much the same issue with the Joker: him and the Goblin only work if the heroes prevent them from killing anyone 99% of the time. That these two people could rack up body counts without being executed for their crimes makes the legal system of the comics universes look ridiculous. It's one reason why I prefer animated versions of superheroes to a lot of their current comic counterparts.
Yeah you're right. I do find myself angered by that 'there's always another way' mentality sometimes, especially when it's modern teen characters who have almost no first hand combat experience arrogantly denouncing the actions of long term experienced heroes or other professionals such as military personnel.
Jabroniville

Black Mariah

Post by Jabroniville »

Pfah-hahahahaahahahaha-- like there's nothing in the f*cking world more "2017 Marvel" than making BLACK MARIAH into a pushed figure.

BLACK MARIAH
Created By:
Steve Englehart & George Tuska
First Appearance: Luke Cage, Hero For Hire #5 (Jan. 1973)
Role: Jobber Villain
PL 6 (70)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Criminal) 3 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 1 (+3)
Persuasion 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Equipment 4 (Gun, Poisoned Needles), Ranged Attack 3

Equipment:
"Gun" Blast 5 (10)
"Poisoned Sewing Needles" Strength-Damage +0 Linked to Weaken Stamina 6 (Extras: Progressive +2) (18)

Powers:
"Fatty Fatty Boombalatty" Features 1: Increased Mass 1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Gun +7 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Poisoned Sewing Needles +6 (+3 Damage & +6 Weaken, DC 18 & 16)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Black Mariah is pretty immoral when it comes to earning money, too- robbing corpses AND drug-dealing is pretty low.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 8 (70)

-... is this a racial stereotype? I authentically can't tell. She's fat and black, but also a gang leader with a weird schtick. Her gimmick is that she's a fat black lady who used a stolen ambulance to pick up dead bodies and looting them, which seems like a REALLY small-time operation- she's named for the "Black Mariah" hearses, drawn by horses in the early 20th Century. Luke Cage was hired by the widow of a man whose body was stolen (Cage, feeling sympathetic, offered his services free of charge). She was captured by Luke after he was hired by a woman whose husband's body had disappeared, and turned to drug dealing when she got out. Luke & Iron Fist would team up to bring down this next operation- she was never seen again.

-Until MODERN TIMES, where of course an unattractive, female minority is of course EXACTLY the stereotypical character you find in every book Marvel publishes. Here, she is inexplicably a good guy (because hideous minorities are only HEROIC in this world, thank you very much), helping the former Heroes For Hire secretary to take down Tombstone's criminal empire. She then shows up as part of Alex Wilder's new "Pride" in Runaways.

-The character, in a much different form, appears in the Netflix Luke Cage series as well. She is one of his primary antagonists, being a politician with criminal ties that eventually leave her career in ruins, and her finally taking control of the gangs of Harlem. The second season ends less well, as Bushmaster arrives and makes an enemy out of her.

-Mariah is no great shakes, and was handily beaten by both Cage & Iron Fist on separate occasions, back in their early days.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.