Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Spoilsport

Post by Jabroniville »

SPOILSPORT (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Jay Faerber & Terry Dodson
First Appearance: Generation X #53 (July 1999)
Role: Thrill-Seeker
PL 7 (87)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Mercenary) 4 (+5)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)

Advantages:
Evasion, Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Speed Skates" (Flaws: Removable) [8]
Speed 6 (120 mph) (6)
Movement 2 (Wall-Crawling) (4)
-- (10 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- The Rising Sons are Mercenaries.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 8 / Defenses: 10 (87)

-Spoilsport is Dragonwing's sister, and skated around on any surface using special roller skates- it's unknown just where the power comes from- it may be innate to her.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Dragonwing

Post by Jabroniville »

DRAGONWING (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Jay Faerber & Terry Dodson
First Appearance: Generation X #53 (July 1999)
Role: Animalistic Fighter
PL 8 (103)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Mercenary) 4 (+5)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Draconic Might"
Flight 5 (60 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [5]
"Dragon's Fire" Blast 8 (16) -- [17]
  • AE: "Dragon Claws" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical) (4)
Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Claws +9 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- The Rising Sons are Mercenaries.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 22 / Defenses: 8 (103)

-Dragonwing can take on multiple draconic powers- claws, wings, a tail, etc. He can even breathe fire. He was tough enough to get the better of Paladin during their fight, which allowed the Generation X kids a free run against the Rising Sons's employer. Dragonwing boasted about his great power as the kids had to save Paladin, but the vehicle he was on went into a low tunnel, knocking him out.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

The Rapier

Post by Jabroniville »

THE RAPIER (Dominic Tyrone)
Created By:
Ralph Macchio & Jim Mooney
First Appearance: The Spectacular Spider-Man Annual #2 (1980)
Role: Weapon User
Group Affiliations: None
PL 7 (66)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6)
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 3 (+3)
Expertise (Criminal) 6 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+4)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Follow-Up Strike, Improved Disarm, Improved Smash, Power Attack

Powers:
"Electro-Stun Sword" (Flaws: Easily-Removable) [9]
Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Improved Critical) Linked to Affliction 6 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Cumulative) (15 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Sword +8 (+4 Damage & +6 Affliction, DC 19 & 16)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 9 / Defenses: 10 (66)

-Rapier's a one-noter who teamed up with Silvermane, but was betrayed by the crook and left for dead. Desperate for revenge, he pretended to be a super-hero for a bit, tangling with Spider-Man. Next appearance, and he was dead- slain in the Bar With No Name at the hands of the Scourge of the Underworld- he's probably the least-used and newest character to get offed in that storyline- I wonder if Gruenwald just hated that story or something. Unlike many other Scourge victims, The Rapier was not resurrected in The Punisher, near as I can tell. The Rapier's got a fancy sword that Stuns people, but he's about as minor-league as it gets. He can still modify his accuracy & damage, though- it makes him a bit more versatile.
Jabroniville

Rom

Post by Jabroniville »

ROM
Created By:
Scott Dankman, Richard C. Levy & Bryan L. McCoy
First Appearance: Rom- Spaceknight #1 (Dec. 1979- comics)
Role: Why You Don't Make Things You Don't Own Into Canon
Group Affiliations: The Galadorian Spaceknights
PL 11 (214)
STRENGTH
12 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Expertise (Spaceknight) 8 (+12)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+7)
Perception 6 (+8)
Technology 6 (+10)
Vehicles 5 (+5)

Advantages: 
Accurate Attack, Diehard, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Neutralizer), Interpose, Ranged Attack 10

Powers:
"Plandanium Armor"
Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 11) [13]
Regeneration 4 [4]
Immunity 11 (Aging, Life Support) [11]
"Drain Power Sources" Weaken Energy Stores 10 (Extras: Affects Objects Only +0) [10]

"Backpack Rockets"
Flight 8 (500 mph) [16]
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) [2]

"Neutralizer" (Flaws: Easily Removable) (Features: Restricted 2- Only Rom) [16]
Movement 1 (Dimensional Travel- Limbo) (Extras: Attack 10, Ranged 10) (21) -- (22 points)
AE: Blast 8 (16)

"Analyzer" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [9]
"Detect True Image" Senses 14 (Vision Counters Illusion, Detect Energy- Analytical 2, Detect Dire Wraiths- Radius & Ranged 7) (14 points)

"Universal Translator" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [3]
Comprehend 2 (Languages) (4)
Enhanced Advantages 1: Eidetic Memory) (1)
-- (5 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+12 Damage, DC 26)
Neutralizer +10 (+10 Ranged Movement Attack, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +12 (+5 Impervious), Fortitude +11, Will +8

Complications:
Relationship (Brandy Clark)- Rom denied his feelings for Brandy for years.
Enemy (The Dire Wraiths)- Rom has been charged with exterminating the genocidal Dire Wraiths, and has hunted them for centuries.
Responsibility (Galador)

Total: Abilities: 86 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 84 / Defenses: 13 (214)

Rom- Eternal Example of What Not To Do:
-Rom, to date, probably stands as the single-best reason why you don't make a licensed property an actual part of the continuity of your shared comic book universe. Marvel managed to not make a giant mess with their Godzilla comic, as they were able to take all their comics-only properties elsewhere (Red Ronin; Dr. Demonicus), but ROM? Rom is f'd up, man.

-Incidentally, I've never read even a single issue of his series, but what I felt were endless "Have you ever considered building Rom?" "Have you ever read Rom?" "I don't see a Rom build- will you ever do one?" requests/non-requests-that-are-pretty-much-requests, and people going on about how Marvel needs to buy the license back from Hasbro, ended up making me despise the character and everything he stood for, to the point where I wanted to be super-snarky and cruel every time he's been brought up. I was gonna be like "Marvel won't buy the license back from Hasbro because nobody in the f*cking world cares a damn about stupid Rom and his stupid comic book"... even though I'm pretty sure I got MAYBE three requests in ten years to build the guy. Sometimes I hold grudges and am a grouch :).

Rom's Origins:
-Rom was a robot-lookin' toy created by guys working for Parker Brothers (currently a subsidiary of Hasbro, aka the mightiest of the toy companies), who was looking to get into toys instead of simply doing only board games. Desiring a cheaply-made toy, the Rom toys had very few points of articulation and red eyes instead of green (which were more expensive to produce). And to advertise this toy, Parker Brothers licensed him to Marvel Comics, who put Bill Mantlo & Sal Buscema to work on a comic book series. Which of course they did an apparently pretty-good job of, which is why fans still talk about this character today. And the toy was an immediate failure, selling only 200,000-300,000 units in the US, blamed on poor packaging and marketing- Park Brothers subsequently abandoned the property. But the comic kept coming out.

-Rom hails from the planet Galador, which has defenders called "Spaceknights", cybernetic warriors who fly and are super-strong. They are opposed by the shapeshifting, murderous, magic-using Dire Wraiths. The comic lasted for seventy-five issues and four annuals, all written by Mantlo and drawn by Buscema and Steve Ditko. And all of this stuff, save Rom, was created by Mantlo for Marvel, and they interacted with Marvel super-heroes, thus Marvel owns it. But not Rom. This becomes a problem later. 

-Rom is the first Spaceknight, looking like a giant robotic dildo with arms and legs, and uses a Neutralizer that banishes the Wraiths into Limbo (the "Otherplace" of Immortus, not Illyana Rasputin's cooler Limbo)- he is joined by 1,000 other volunteers, all with the promise that their human body parts will be reattached at a later date. Rom is eventually victorious, chasing the Dire Wraiths back to their home planet, scattering them through the universe in a panic. Now feeling responsible for them spreading all over, he deciced to vanquish the entire species, leaving Galador and ending up on Earth 200 years later, along with his partners Starshine & Terminator.

The Rom Comic:
-Rom thus battled numerous Dire Wraiths (who were often in human form, thus making Rom look like a murderous robot), along with Marvel super-villains, as Marvel made the unwise decision to include all of this stuff in the Marvel Universe proper- the Mad Thinker, X-Men, Power Man, Iron Fist and Galactus all made appearances in his book, and Rom himself crossed over into the occasional hero's book. Yes, a character Marvel did not own made appearances in Marvel properties.

-Rom eventually helps Marvel's heroes defeat all of the Dire Wraiths there (but not before they wipe out the entire town in which he was residing, and his "Human Buddy" Steve), and returns to a war-torn Galador ruled by a new generation of Spaceknights. When they destroyed the human remains of the Spaceknights, Rom led the original Spaceknights to Galador and wiped out the villains. He was able to reclaim his own humanity, however, and was changed back, finally admitting his love for Brandy, the female "Human Buddy". The remaining Spaceknights decided to travel the universe.

-Rom changed his name to "Artour", had two sons with Brandy, and still interacted with Marvel's heroes, with his name no longer mentioned, since that gets around the licensing issue (see below). He is believed killed in Jim Starlin's Spaceknights mini-series in 2000-2001. 

The Licensing Fiasco:
-The PROBLEM with all this should be clear to anyone who knows how copywrite and licensing works, but the short version is: Marvel didn't own the character for whom they were producing issues. They owned Galador, the Spaceknights, the Dire Wraiths, the hero Torpedo (who died when the town was overrun) and more, but they did not own ROM. Thus, when the license was not renewed, they were no longer legally allowed to reprint his comic. Which is the same thing that happened with G.I. Joe and The Transformers, and wouldn't be too much of an issue... except THOSE comics didn't interact with the Marvel Universe! A single Transformers issure featuring Spider-Man was the worst it got. Rom: Spacknight REGULARLY interacted with Marvel heroes, meaning that A) Nobody was going to be allowed to reprint Rom comics, and B) Marvel was not going to be able to reprint any Marvel books in which Rom had appeared. This leaves gaps in the reproduction runs of things like the "Essential" collections, Trade Paperbacks, and more!

-Now... is Marvel gonna buy the license back? They've bought Angela from Neil Gaiman. But... that's one guy. HASBRO owns this sumbitch. And even a failed-ass toy is clearly worth SOMETHING, as there's now a NEW Rom comic out there, and there's been reports since 2015 of Hasbro creating a movie around the guy. So Marvel, you might say, is hooped. If they even cared. Which they've given no indication whatsoever that they ever did.

Rom's Powers:
-Man, I dunno. Super-strong, durable, has a Neutralizer. In actuality, difficulty in figuring out this guy's capabilities is literally the only thing that kept me from statting up Rom for all this time. Everyone asking me to stat him couldn't answer my questions as to his power levels, which made it impossible to figure him out- he's... this vague level that befits a DC character more than a Marvel one. I guess DC fans and Rom fans are cut from the same cloth- not as autistically-obsessive about statlines as I am.

-At least the Marvel Wiki now contains a bit mentioning his abilities to draw even with Rogue and Colossus, and the time he brawled with Gladiator of the Shi'ar Imperial Guard. This means he's a Class 70-ish guy, apparently. He also has a Universal Translator, an Analyzer (that's usually a Dire Wraith detector, but can in fact locate them all over the globe by pointing it at a facsimile of a world) and a Neutralizer that's basically a Dimensional Travel Blaster. I figure Rom for a PL 11 close-combat guy (his Feats include going up against Ben Grimm and Gladiator, and lesser Spaceknights were able to handle Terrax back in the '80s), but PL 10 with his other stuff.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spectrum

Re: Jab's Builds! (Razor-Fist! Rogue! Red Sonja! Rising Sons! Rom!)

Post by Spectrum »

Well, it was nice knowing you folks.

Jab has done Rom.

We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

*checks calender*

=O_o=

Nah not here just yet I'm still waffling
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I'm torn - should I post the Russian heroes while doing Contest of Champions? I think i posted them barely a year ago, but they're on-theme.

Big Hero Six, too- I COULD re-post them, if only because a new show is coming out.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Oooh, I'll have to look further on the new Big Hero Six series.

Sounds like you have a world heroes concept coming up?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I can't comment on ROM since ROM means Read Only Memory.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Okay, I lied.

Oddly, the ROM pages in the Essential OHOTMU were reprinted. I guess the few pages weren't enough to cause problems. According to that, ROM's strength was enough to lift 15 tons, so... one more rank than Spider-Man.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

So I went looking for the specific handbook page, and: I found it.

Here's their entry on the other Spaceknights, too:
And here's the Deluxe Handbook entry:
Part 1
Part 2
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Wait- Spaceknights have DIFFERENT POWERS?

*sigh*...
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:55 am Wait- Spaceknights have DIFFERENT POWERS?

*sigh*...
Yeah, each one seems to have different powers and/or weapons. I assume the baseline would remain pretty much the same, though, so a template would make sense.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Mantlo also did the Micronauts, which had a similar problem to ROM. And it's why everyone aside from Marvel who has gotten the Micronauts license has been unable to use the characters people actually care about and like, and thus why every other Micronauts push fails miserably.

That means you're going to do the Micronauts next, right? :D
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

I can see it now...

Micronauts.
PL: I don't know
Skills: Who cares?
Powers: Uh.... I think they're small and stuff.
*sigh* I wonder what Idina Menzel is doing right now?