Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
KorokoMystia

Re: Onaga

Post by KorokoMystia »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:55 pm
ONAGA THE DRAGON KING

-Onaga is an appropriate "Final Boss" design, but he's a little too much like Tekken's Bosses for my taste (Ed Boon is a vocal Tekken fan, and may have been copying aspects of Devil Kazuya and Ogre here), but he's no worse than a lot of guys they could have chosen.
Funny thing about that, Tekken did have a dragon boss at one point, too, and this was after Deception:
Jabroniville

Blaze

Post by Jabroniville »

BLAZE
First Appearance:
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance (Secret Kharacter)
Total Appearances: MK: DA, MK: Armageddon (Boss)
Role: The Boss
PL 11 (171)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletiks 2 (+11)
Deception 6 (+10)
Expertise (Arkane Lore) 4 (+6)
Expertise (History) 4 (+9)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 10 (+14)
Klose Kombat (Unarmed) 4 (+15)
Perception 6 (+9)
Persuasion 3 (+7)
Ranged Kombat (Blasts) 5 (+13)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Kritical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Kritical (Flame Ball) 2, Improved Kritical (Flame Uppercut), Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8, Ritualist, Takedown

Powers:
"Shapeshifts Into Other Fighters"
"Flame Ball" Blast 8 (Feats: Indirect) (17) -- [21]
  • AE: "Flame Uppercut" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
  • AE: "Steam Roller" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable 7) (7)
  • AE: "Charge Up" Healing 4 (Flaws: Limited to Self) (4)
  • AE: "Melting Lava Teleport" Teleport 8 (Feats: Change Direction) (Extras: Easy) (17)
"Immortal Fire Elemental" Immunity 11 (Aging, Life Support) [11]
"Natural Size" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (8 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]
"Tremendous Reach" Reach 1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +15 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Flame Uppercut +13 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Flame Ball +13 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Steam Roller +7 Area (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +8, Fortitude +10, Will +8

Komplications:
Motivation (Stopping Armageddon)- Blaze was created by the Goddess-Queen of Edenia to save all existence from up and exploding. To do this, he must... lose to Taven? I guess?

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 52--26 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 38 / Defenses: 19 (171)

-The final Boss character seen in Mortal Kombat is Blaze, formerly a secret character in Deadly Alliance, now upgraded to Final Boss in Armageddon. Initially seen as a background figure in The Pit II stage of MK, Blaze was added to MK: Deadly Alliance as a Secret Kharacter (a burning version of Liu Kang's body). Eventually, it came to pass that this guy, who'd been used and abused by others, was actually super-powerful because Delia, the Queen of Edenia, had forseen that the power of the Kombatants would threaten all existence, and so he needed to raise the brothers Taven & Daegon to do stuff and save everything. This plotline gets more convoluted and dumber each year.

-Blaze is meant to oversee Taven and Daegon's lives... but discovers that Daegon was awakened too early, and that the realm's fighters are far too powerful, threatening everything. Taven is forced to fight Blaze in order to save the world, and apparently it failed after all, so even though Taven wins, it still causes Armageddon to happen (because of Onaga's men twisting his powers for their own uses), and so everyone dies. This is the ending we get for the franchise, until that universe's Raiden talks to the MK 2011's past-Raiden, and tells him to avert fate all Days of the Future Past-like.

-Blaze is as tough as any other Boss, though the "fluff" of course fashions some Ultimate Power out of him, so he imbues his power upon the victor of Mortal Kombat, turning them into a Living God who destroys the world or something by being corrupted by his Awesomeness. And frankly, I'm not getting how he's SO TOUGH if he can just lose to Taven ANYWAYS. His in-game stuff is rather less dramatic than Onaga's, making him much cheaper.

-I actually downgraded him a bit from my old build, which frankly seemed too mighty. I actually played this Blaze against Street Fighter IV's Seth in a practice battle meant to act as a side thing in the SF/MK Tournament I was running many years ago, but I discovered to my shock that Blaze ANNIHILATED Seth with absolute ease. Since they were of equal PLs, I found this quite surprising, so I tried another fight, in case it was a fluke. It was not- Blaze crushed Seth yet again. And again. I think I tried three or four times before I gave up- I resolved that Blaze was clearly Overpowered. The reasons seem way more obvious to me now- his Area Attack hits at PL 9, which is way too hardcore for the more-fragile world of Fighting Game Characters (who are lower Toughness than many superheroes). He's also keyed towards TREMENDOUS damage, which is again a mathematical advantage against a more accurate foe.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Ferra & Torr

Post by Jabroniville »

FERRA
First Appearance:
Mortal Kombat X
Total Appearances: MK X
Role: Weird Character, Monster-Rider
PL 7 (84)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Akrobatics 7 (+13)
Athletiks 9 (+10)
Expertise (Survival) 6 (+6)
Intimidation 6 (+4)
Perception 4 (+4)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Equipment 1 (Claws +1- Split), Fast Grab, Improved Kritical (Klaws), Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Power Attack

Powers:
"Grab & Stab" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) [1]

Features 2: Uses Tons of New Moves as Finishing Attacks [2]
"Slices Opponent In Half"

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Claws +12 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Special Moves +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +2, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Komplications:
Relationship (Each Other)- Ferra and Torr are in a symbiotic relationship common to their race- a brutish mount and a smaller rider.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 3 / Defenses: 16 (84)

TORR
First Appearance:
Mortal Kombat X
Total Appearances: MK X
Role: Weird Character, Monster-Rider
PL 7 (68)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -3 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Athletiks 3 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 11 (+8)
Perception 2 (+2)
Ranged Combat (Throwing People) 6 (+6)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Fast Grab, Improved Kritical (Unarmed), Improved Trip, Power Attack

Powers:
"Charge" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) [1]
"Ferra Toss" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Ranged 7) (Flaws: Source- Ferra) [7]

Features 2: Uses Tons of New Moves as Finishing Attacks [2]
"Throws Ferra Through Opponent"

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Special Moves +7 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Ferra Toss +
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Komplications:
Relationship (Each Other)- Ferra and Torr are in a symbiotic relationship common to their race- a brutish mount and a smaller rider.

Total: Abilities: 26 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 10 / Defenses: 13 (68)

-Ferra and Torr are new with Mortal Kombat X, and sport the unusual (and hard to stat) nature of being Paired Fighters who battle as one. Ferra is a small, clawed creature, while Torr is large and muscular- both are agents of Kotal Kahn, having been coerced into serving him after living in the wilds of Outworld. They battle the Kombatants, being defeated by Kung Jin after Torr wipes out the other heroes. Their ending indicates that the two are not two separate species, but different maturity levels of the same one- Torr withers away and dies, while Ferra becomes a large, hulking brute in his stead, soon awaiting her "rider".

-Statting up a PAIRED group isn't quite a simple task, as "in-game" it's really just ONE fighter with weird techniques. In M&M terms, you're just statting up two separate guys, in this case taking two PL 7s against PL 8s & 9s, which makes it more "even", particularly for a simple "Henchman" as opposed to an elite agent. So Ferra is a PL 7 Scrapper, while Torr is a PL 7 Brute, being much stronger than the average Kombatant (ST 5!).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Shinnok

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:53 pm
SHINNOK
First Appearance:
Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero
Total Appearances: MK 4 (Playable Boss), MK: Armageddon
Role: The Big Boss, "Dark Lord" Villainl, Dark God
Was it really a good idea to name a villain something that looks like someone just tossed an "i" into "shnook"? I'd swear if I was a Mortal Kombat hero, that's all I would refer to him as. "Hey, Shnook! Nice hat! I'm sure the Hot Topic you got it from was honored by your visit!"
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:57 am Image
I see someone was watching some Mad Max while kreating karakters.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Shao Kahn! Quan Chi! Shinnok! Onaga! Ferra/Torr!)

Post by Jabroniville »

I find that Mad Nax has been the gift that keeps on giving for both video games and pro wrestling for thirty years.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Don't forget comics and manga/anime.

"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Shao Kahn! Sindel! Quan Chi! Shinnok! Onaga!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Woodclaw wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:27 am I'm going to voice the unpopular opinion, but I like Shinnok's general concept much more than Onaga. Like Shao Khan, the Dragon King looks a bit too much of a direct physical menace.
Well, it IS a Fighting Game series. If a guy doesn't look powerful, then he looks out of place there. Especially as the Final Boss.

I just really dislike "hairless guy with his face painted white" designs on a lot of characters. Maybe it just looks too "French Clown" for me, so they look more like pretentious sexual deviants than bad-ass warriors, but both Shinnok and Quan Chi do nothing for me as designs.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Shinnok

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:25 am
Jabroniville wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:53 pm
SHINNOK
First Appearance:
Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero
Total Appearances: MK 4 (Playable Boss), MK: Armageddon
Role: The Big Boss, "Dark Lord" Villainl, Dark God
Was it really a good idea to name a villain something that looks like someone just tossed an "i" into "shnook"? I'd swear if I was a Mortal Kombat hero, that's all I would refer to him as. "Hey, Shnook! Nice hat! I'm sure the Hot Topic you got it from was honored by your visit!"
Yeah, I keep feeling like Henry Hill is supposed to be annoyed at turning into this guy at the end of GoodFellas.
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

Well, so much for getting beyond Thunderdome...
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

All we want is a life Beyond Thunderdome!

I mean....they always said that the living would envy the dead.
Jabroniville

Erron Black

Post by Jabroniville »

ERRON BLACK
First Appearance:
Mortal Kombat X
Total Appearances: MKX-11
Role: New Kharacter, Outworld Kowboy
PL 8 (135)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Akrobatics 7 (+12)
Athletiks 5 (+8)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 5 (+7)
Expertise (Survival) 8 (+10)
Expertise (Mercenary) 8 (+10)
Insight 3 (+7)
Intimidation 6 (+8)
Klose Kombat (Unarmed) 2 (+13)
Perception 6 (+10)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Defensive Attack, Equipment 1 (Tarkatan Blade), Improved Aim, Improved Trip, Ranged Attack 7, Ultimate Aim

Powers:
"Kowboy Gear" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [10]
"Pocket Sand!" Blast 1 Linked to Affliktion 5 (Fort; Dazed & Hindered/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Ranged, Extra Kondition) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (12) -- (16 points)
  • AE: "Sand Grenade" Blast 4 (8)
  • AE: "Revolvers/Money Shot" Blast 4 (Feats: Ricochet) (Extras: Multiattack) (Reduced Defenses -2) (9)
  • AE: "Caltrops" Blast 1 (Feats: Triggered) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Grounded Foes) Linked to Afflikion 6 (Fort; Hindered & Dazed/Defenseless & Stunned) (Feats: Triggered) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Extra Kondition) (Flaws: Limited to Grounded Foes, Limited Degree) (9)
  • AE: "Sand Slide" Strength-Damage +2 (2)
Features 1: Uses New Moves as Finishing Attacks [1]
"Throws Sand Grenade into Bullethole"
"Multiple Gunshots"

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Sand Slide/Tarkatan Blade +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Caltrops +1-6 Area (+1 Ranged Damage & +6 Affliktion, DC 16 & 16)
Pocket Sand! +12 (+1 Ranged Damage & +5 Affliktion, DC 16 & 15)
Revolvers/Sand Grenade +12 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +6

Komplications:
Motivation (Greed)
Responsibility (Kotal Kahn's Army)- Erron appears to be a loyal soldier, following orders and never betraying his boss.

Total: Abilities: 74 / Skills: 50--25 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 11 / Defenses: 12 (135)

-One of the few entirely new (ie. non-legacy) Mortal Kombat X characters, Erron Black is a dark-klad kowboy-type who emulates The Man With No Name, and more or less looks like Every Modern Video Game Character because of it. He's a gunslinger who's become one of Kotal Kahn's deadliest warriors, and is actually from Earthrealm, having simply been hired by an Outworlder. His gear is an assortment of "trying too hard" stuff (a severered Tarkatan arm-blade as a melee weapon) and practical stuff (caltrops, bombs). One of his big moves involves firing a bullet that LITERALLY has his opponent's name on it- changing depending on whom he's fighting. Really, he comes off like the modern distillation of everything video games have become- some grim, antisocial loner who plays by his own rules, kills whomever he chooses, and wields a ridiculous variety of weapons for someone who can move quickly.

-Erron, like D'Vorah, is a new character returning in MK 11. However, he also shows up in a YOUNG version, as for some reason, he pops up along with various resurrected or young versions of characters. The elder Erron remains allied with Kotal Kahn, while the young one hooks up with Shao Kahn's group, putting them on opposite sides. The younger one is beaten by Kotal, and the elder by Johnny Cage, then Sonya Blade. So overall, he's just "filler".

-Black uses a lot of weapons in fights, including a grenade, multiple variations of gunshots (90% of which are statistically the same, though one involves ricocheting a bullet off of a coin- a "Money Shot" that adds Ricochet to the Blast), Caltrops that cause minor damage and alter the opponent's movements, stunning thrown sand (Yes, LITERAL POCKET SAND), and a standard damage-boosting attack. I made him PL 8.5-ish, as he's still a very new character. He's actually kind of a minor guy, too- just being one of Kotal's goons, albeit a loyal one, so long as he's being paid- his role in the story is more or less to be on Kotal's side as one of the subordinates who can interact with the heroes.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Also I swear, even when I don't go purposely searching for terrible SF2 ripoffs I still come across them:
HalloweenJack

Re: Jab’s Builds (Quan Chi! Shinnok! Onaga! Ferra/Torr! Erron Black!)

Post by HalloweenJack »

i think i remember that

also Erron Black sounds like a Game of Thrones character to me
Jabroniville

D’Vorah

Post by Jabroniville »

Would... bang?

D'VORAH
First Appearance:
Mortal Kombat X
Total Appearances: MK X-11
Role: The Evil Vizier, Bug Chick, Weird Chick
PL 9 (174)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Akrobatics 8 (+14)
Athletiks 7 (+10)
Deception 9 (+13)
Expertise (Outworlder) 8 (+11)
Klose Kombat (Unarmed) 2 (+15)
Insight 4 (+8)
Intimidation 6 (+10)
Perception 6 (+10)
Ranged Kombat (Special Moves) 6 (+14)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Diehard, Fast Grab, Fearless, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Kritical (Ovipositors), Improved Kritical (Blasts), Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
"Venomous Variation"
"Ovipositor Charge" Strength-Damage +2 Linked to Weaken Stamina 4 (Extras: Progression +2) (14) -- [18]
  • AE: Unarmed Damage Linked to Weaken Stamina 4 (Extras: Progression +2) (12)
"Swarm Queen Variation"
  • AE: "Spawning Puddle/Wasp Grenade" Blast 3 Linked to Affliktion 5 (Athletiks; Dazed/Stunned) (Extras: Ranged) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (Diminished Range on Both -1) (9)
  • AE: "Vortex Swarm/Bug Blast/Krawler" Blast 4 (8)
  • AE: "Ovipositor Charge" Strength-Damage +2 (2)
"Kytinn Physiology"
"Limited Flight" Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Extra Limbs 4 [4]
Immortality 10 (Flaws: Source- Insect Hordes) [10]

Features 1: Uses New Moves as Finishing Attacks [1]
"Larvae Implant Into Victim, Then Tear Their Way Free"
"Wasps Fly Through Victim, Then Devour Their Face"
"Pulls Out Victim's Heart, Then Brain, Using Ovipositor"

Offense:
Unarmed +15 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Ovipositors +13 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Venomous Unarmed +15 (+3 Damage & +4 Weaken, DC 18 & 14)
Ovipositors +13 (+5 Damage & +4 Weaken, DC 20 & 14)
Initiative +17

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +4, Fortitude +7, Will +7

Komplications:
Motivation (Power)- D'Vorah seems to respect only power, accepting the rule of whomever looks the best at any given moment. She turns on her Kytinn race when Shao Kahn invades, accepts Mileena's rule when Kahn is dead, and immediately turns on him when Kotal Kahn reveals his worth. And then she betrays him to Quan Chi & Shinnok when they debut, as well.
Power Loss (Some Powers)- D'Vorah must use either her "Swarm Queen" powers (Wasp Grenade, Bug Blast, Krawler, Vortex Swarm) or her "Venomous" powers (passive venom) in a fight- she cannot choose to use both for the same combat.

Total: Abilities: 80 / Skills: 56--28 / Advantages: 18 / Powers: 35 / Defenses: 13 (174)

-D'Vorah debuts in Mortal Kombat X as Kotal Kahn's obviously-evil vizier. Her people were conquered by Shao Kahn ages ago, and she chose to serve him rather than become a slave. Now she serves Kotal- himself an admirer of Kahn's- as his second-in-command, after seeing him prove his worth (compared to Mileena's savagery)- she even slaughters Baraka in the game's backstory. This, however, soon gives way to her true purpose- she now finds Shinnok and Quan Chi to be more clever rulers, and swears allegiance to them. A yellow chick with armored lines on her body and small wings on her back, she looks humanoid but a bit freaky. She talks in a Mantis-like form, calling herself "This one" due to the fact that she's a literal hive of insects forming a humanoid shell.

-During the course of MK X, she's stuck allying with Cassie Cage's Special Forces team, generally acting creepy, and beats many of Mileena's agents, before having her insect swarms devour Mileena's face from the inside out. After this, she reveals her duplicity, slaughtering some guards and stealing the amulet that holds Shinnok. She witnesses Quan Chi's death, thus becoming Shinnok's primary servant when he awakens. After this, she tortures Johnny Cage on her boss's orders, which sets off Cassie's "Super Mode"- Cassie defeats first D'Vorah, and then Shinnok. She is seen arrested as the game ends, with Shinnok slaughtered by Raiden. D'Vorah is one of about half the new characters to return in the next game, but appears as just a mook under Kronika, who promises that her hive will be saved. She loses a fight to Scorpion and that's it.

-D'Vorah is seen as quite strong in the Story Mode, having defeated Rain & Tanya at once, then beating Mileena. I figure her for a PL 9, like most of the Non-Main Eventer Mortal Kombat characters. Her powers are a bit strange, as she either has a "Venomous" or a "Swarm Queen" variant- the former makes all of her attacks give off a venom that slowly damages a foe (requiring a weird Progressive Weaken effect in M&M, though in the game it works more like a ticking bit of damage that's always the same- video games & RPGs don't work well together for stuff like this), while the latter makes her more of a Blast.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds (Quan Chi! Shinnok! Onaga! Ferra/Torr! Erron Black!)

Post by Ares »

Apparently Netherrealm has a very "waste not, want not" policy when it comes to their properties, because it seems like they've used names and concepts from Mortal Kombat Conquest and brought them over to their main game series. D'Vorah was supposedly inspired by this REALLY stupid Bee Woman plot from Conquest, which involved this all female race of 100% human looking women whose queen would create a hive of women after sleeping with a male of whatever realm she was trying to take over. It was all very goofy, but Netherrealms used it to create insect girl here.

You saw it with a few other things, such as Takeda (a character from the show) being transplanted into the main MK lore. Still no word if Ciro will ever appear in game or not.