Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Baba Yaga! Ganesha! Hanuman! Kali! Anubis!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Haha- FINALLY I found this on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtLZ07eC-Q0

Sandy Duncan on The Muppet Show. God DAMN.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

HalloweenJack wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:47 am I didn't have many of these, aside from Yama

In my MIMP, Yama was the supreme leader (being a solid 100) and was often whom the Imp schemed against to gain power.

My Yama was also pretty bitching because he was one of the glow in the dark monsters, so that was kinda cool.

I had no idea Karnak was made up though. I knew it was a place, but I just figured that there'd a psycho pomp of the creature
Interesting- Yama was pretty late in the line.

Karnak surprised me, too- I'd heard of the temple/city, but looking stuff up, that's the only indication of it. Weirdest thing is how nobody ELSE in the line is really made up, beyond stuff like "Grave Watcher" or "Spectre" sharing a spot with the Ghost.
Spectrum wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:56 pm Is Hanuman related to the Monkey King of Chinese legend?
"Some Scholars" believe Hanuman to be the inspiration for Son Wukong, given their comparative might and monkey theming, but distance and years have made this pretty vague.
Woodclaw

Re: Nuckelavee

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:27 am Image

Well that’s just horrifying.

66) NUCKELAVEE
Origin:
Mythological Creature (Ireland)
Role: Nightmare Creature, Sea Beast, Bogeyman

-Nuckelavee is another new one to me- they are aquatic, horse-like demons from the Northern Isles of Scotland. The Nuckelavee features a large-headed, legless human torso attached to its back, as if the horse had a rider, and its arms reach the ground. Its breath could wilt crops and sicken livestock, and it was considered to be responsible for droughts and epidemics on land.

-The MIMP figure is a bizarre, melt-y looking cyclopean horse with strange human-like limbs hanging off its back, as there's supposed to be a human torso up attached up there. It's a bit of a mess, though, and doesn't look quite like anything unless you see it up close and can maa as he out the head lolling off to one side.
A little bit of RPG trivia, the Nuckelavee holds the distinct honor of being one of the few monsters that was present in the 1st edition D&D bestiary (I believe in the blue or green box), but was never included in any of the following editions. I'm not sure why this happened, but according to some sources the entire concept was considered too weird by the editors and stoved away. Keep in mind these were the same people that considered the Beholder worthy of another run.
Also the D&D version replaced the human torso with a hobgoblin one.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

So here's the upcoming stuff I've been working on:

* The next week or so will be the rest of the Monster in My Pocket series, including big names like the Werewolf, Jabberwock, Dragon, and Minotaur. Also things you probably never knew existed (I sure didn't). Posted more or less quickly depending on the number of comments they draw.

* After that, I'm finally posting a review of Wreck-It Ralph 2, complete with a new build- Shank, the new character from the movie. No interest in statting up that Ralph-Monster thing.

* The four new characters from the new Samurai Shodown game! As a thank you to Koroko for his amazing work recapping the King of Fighters characters' movesets.

* Three sets of Video Game-based builds, all because I saw some random titles at the Edmonton Comic Expo, and decided to stat up Valis IV, Joe & Mac (some caveman platformer), and Ninja Warriors (with three different selectable characters).

* A remake of my 2e set for Clone High, if only because it's AGES old and is still sitting there on my "To-Do List" for the past couple of years, TAUNTING ME. The DICKS.

* Two sets of "Jobber Villain" team builds- The Alliance of Evil, and The Femme Fatales! If only because I wanted to continue my trend of re-posting old builds (especially as RA is sucking even more pond-water these days), especially Jobber Teams. Hilariously, their bios are now ENORMOUS compared to what they used to look like, as I found a ton more information (Timeshadow used to be a druggie! Frenzy joined the X-Men for a while! But nobody read that book!). It's truly hilarious how long the bios for doofuses like Tower are going to be- never mind Frenzy packing one nearly as dense as my Rogue bio.

* And then, FINALLY, we will come to my SNK builds around the start of November. While Koroko's work will allow me to FINALLY post King of Fighters after all these years, I'll naturally have to start with the early games (which are from way early in my Ronin Army thread- June 2014)- Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury. But fear not- they won't merely be re-posts- I've changed my building mentality for their moves, so you'll see Anti-Airs, Multiattacks and other moves being showcased properly.

* And then you'll at least see King of Fighters, because I had all these other things I needed to post before I went on another giant tangent that lasted a month and a half (as the SNK builds will surely do).
Jabroniville

Re: Nuckelavee

Post by Jabroniville »

Woodclaw wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:24 am A little bit of RPG trivia, the Nuckelavee holds the distinct honor of being one of the few monsters that was present in the 1st edition D&D bestiary (I believe in the blue or green box), but was never included in any of the following editions. I'm not sure why this happened, but according to some sources the entire concept was considered too weird by the editors and stoved away. Keep in mind these were the same people that considered the Beholder worthy of another run.
Also the D&D version replaced the human torso with a hobgoblin one.
No kidding? That's super-weird! Kind of nuts, especially given how many follow-up Monster Manuals that series has had over the years. They really never brought it back at all?
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

I'm super-excited that Koroko will make KoF possible finally, and I'm sorry that I didn't have the time to help.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

The Nuckelavee is actually of the most horrific monsters of Scots legend, considered a demonic spirit which spreads pestilence, famine, and even drought; apparently it was kept in check by a sea god/benevolent spirit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuckelavee

I got to learn a whole new word-"Orcadian"-from looking up the creature. Thanks Jab!

All my best.
squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama »

greycrusader wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:19 pm The Nuckelavee is actually of the most horrific monsters of Scots legend, considered a demonic spirit which spreads pestilence, famine, and even drought; apparently it was kept in check by a sea god/benevolent spirit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuckelavee

I got to learn a whole new word-"Orcadian"-from looking up the creature. Thanks Jab!

All my best.
I don't know why but I keep reading the thanks as semi-sarcastic. Like "How dare you make me learn something! I came here to entertained not edumacated."
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

I'm sure Jab didn't know this, but the Nuckelavee was used as a boss fight in season 5 of RWBY. They made it appropriately horrific; I'm 90% sure that 1st pic is from a RWBY statue.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

squirrelly-sama wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:48 pm
greycrusader wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:19 pm The Nuckelavee is actually of the most horrific monsters of Scots legend, considered a demonic spirit which spreads pestilence, famine, and even drought; apparently it was kept in check by a sea god/benevolent spirit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuckelavee

All my best.
I don't know why but I keep reading the thanks as semi-sarcastic. Like "How dare you make me learn something! I came here to entertained not edumacated."
Not my intention at all.
Jabroniville

Centaur

Post by Jabroniville »

Note the slightly different molds for the Centaur- this only happens once in the entire "MIMP" line.

77) CENTAUR
Origin:
Mythological Creature (Ancient Greece)
Role: Race of Savages
PL 5 (55)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Ranger) 4 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+4, +5 Size)
Perception 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Move-By Action, Teamwork

Powers:
"Natural Size" Growth 3 (Str & Sta +3, +3 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -3 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [7]
Senses 2 (Extended Vision, Low-Light Vision) [2]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]

Equipment:
"Bow & Arrow" Blast 4 (8)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +5, Fortitude +7, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Getting Women)- Centaurs are known to be lady-abducting savages. So totally not like the other upstanding men in Greek Mythology.

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 12 / Defenses: 8 (55)

-Centaurs are an iconic fantasy creature, so it's kinda funny that for centuries, they were just used as a background "Savage Race" in Greek Mythology. One of the only good Centaurs was Chiron, trainer of heroes such as Herakles. A classic "Quasi-Human Critter", a Centaur had a man's torso atop a horse's body, which creates some interesting anatomical questions (the torso springs from what should be the NECK of the horse, so it should effectively have an L-shaped spinal cord, two ribcages, two sets of almost every organ, etc.- similarly, humans are much smaller than horses, so is the human part really large or the horse part really small?). In the origin story, Zeus wanted to trick Ixion into revealing his lust for Hera by making a cloud into a likeness of her- Ixion boned the cloud, and of course this created life- Centaurus, who mated with some regular mares to create a race of wild beast-men. Another origin story is that Zeus's un-spent "seed" hit the ground, springing up another race.

-Centaurs are useful as a metaphor for creatures caught between extremes- human thought and the wildness of nature. They may have been created from the memories of people who lacked cavalry upon first meeting armed horsemen. The Greeks used them as monsters, as they tried to carry off all the Lapith women during a wedding, creating a massive war- Theseus, slayer of the Minotaur, aided the Lapiths and won the day. This battle is most famously seen on the Parthenon (many pieces are found at the British Museum).

-Centaurs were "disproven" in the 3rd Century by Lucretius, who was all "Duh- humans and horses age at different rates, so a hybrid would be impossible". Most forms of fiction depict them as much kindlier than Greek Mythology did, ironically, likely because people like horses, and don't find them overly scary anymore. Centaurs are seen as the wisest and noblest of creatures in the Chronicles of Narnia series, and like Elves in Dungeons & Dragons- forest-dwelling and keeping to themselves. In Harry Potter they're a bit wild, though.

-The Centaur MIMP figure was quite solid, and did a pretty good job of being recognizable despite a sculpt that had to be cast as a single piece- this would NOT have been easy. They did it by "Rob Liefelding" him to turn his torso sideways while his horse body could be lengthwise in the same direction as his shoulders were pointing. He's big, bald-headed and mean-looking- big muscles and a brutish face go a long way to making him look dangerous despite a lack of weapons. The figure was a Shreddies/Big Boy exclusive, meaning he's very rare and pricey online, especially since the two use slightly different sculpts (the Big Boy one adds metal links around the wrists).

-This Centaur is a reasonable, PL 5 figure- big and strong, but a decidedly "mortal" threat.
Jabroniville

Werewolf

Post by Jabroniville »

3) WEREWOLF
Origin:
Folkloric Curse (Europe)
Role: Animalistic Shapeshifter, Fearsome Monster
PL 9 (136)
STRENGTH
2/7 STAMINA 3/7 AGILITY 3/5
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6/+11)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+7)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 8 (+10)
Perception 5 (+8)
Stealth 4 (+9)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Ranged Attack 2, Startle

Powers:
"Werewolf By Night"
Enhanced Strength 5 [10]
Enhanced Stamina 4 [8]
Enhanced Agility 2 [4]
Enhanced Advantages 4: All-Out Attack, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Improved Trip [4]

"Animal Senses" Senses 8 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Scent-Tracking, Ultra & Extended Hearing, Infra & Ultravision) [8]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]

"Nigh-Unkillable" Regeneration 8 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [9]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Werewolf +11 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +3 (+5 By Night)

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +3 (+7 By Night), Fortitude +4 (+8 By Night), Will +7

Complications:
Prejudice (Werewolf)- Few people on either side of the law trust lycanthropes overly-much.
Power Loss (Regeneration)- Several objects can cause werewolves' regenerative power to not work. Silver and Magical attacks are chief among them- both affect them normally.
Power Loss (All Powers, by Day)- Werewolves can typically not attain animal form at night.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 46 / Defenses: 11 (136)

-Belief in animal shapeshifters runs very, VERY old in human history, but the werewolf specifically hails from European folklore- articles from the Twelfth Century mention lycanthropy, as it was believed that this supernatural illness created the curse. Belief ran alongside belief in witches and witchcraft, though was never quite as common. A few Ancient Greek myths mention people turning into wolves- Zeus punishes Lycaon with such a curse as a result of either murder or cannibalism, while Herodotus speaks of a whole tribe that can turn into wolves once a year. Other Roman historians include similar notions, but modern takes on the "werewolf" condition didn't take place until the Middle Ages. From 1764 to 1767, a large wolf killed upwards of eighty people in the region of Gevaudan, giving more credence to this belief- the ultimate culprit was deemed to be a regular wolf.

-Werewolves have been theorized to be a human invention to explain serial killers, and origins about their creation abound. Drinking rainwater out of the footprint of a wolf? Putting on a wolfskin? Being bitten? That one's actually quite recent, in fact. In older stories, they lacked tails in wolf form, which was a "tell" (witches could similarly not gain tails in animal form).

-The idea that a full moon would enable the transformation is actually less than a hundred years old, and was never a part of old myths. Werewolves didn't have the iconic story that Dracula or Frankenstein's Monster did, but would become just as famous owing to the sheer number of stories told, and the innate fear humanity has for its very real predators like the wolf. Films like The Wolf Man, An American Werewolf in London and more made werewolves incredibly famous.

-The MIMP figure is pretty good, but very early in the line, so it's not that detailed. There's some good movement in the figure (arching his head back to howl at the moon), but his whole "wearing normal clothes" thing makes him look a bit silly compared to the other, furrier monsters in the line. Curiously, he is absent from the NES game, possibly because he had allied himself with the Vampire & Monster who were the main protagonists.

93) JABALIUS (aka The Beast of Gevaudan)
Origin:
True Story (1760s France)
Role: Man-Eater

-The unreleased MIMP figure named "Jabalius" in Spanish is actually supposed to be the Beast of Gevaudan, a legendary creature responsible for almost a hundred very real deaths in 1760s France's Gevaudan region. One or more wild animals killed between 60 and 113 victims in this very wild region, and the Beast was reported killed several times before the attacks finally stopped. The attacks depicted fairy typical predatory behavior- women and children were the most likely to be taken, and most victims were partially devoured. Wolf attacks were always common in Europe at this time (it's part of why wolves were so feared and maligned in European folklore), but attacks of this magnitude were insane. One wolf that was killed was 130 lbs., while the last (with some remains from its last victim still digesting in its stomach) was a bit small- the hunter Jean Chastel is credited with finishing the Beast for good.

-This episode had a great influence on future tales of werewolves- the idea that silver bullets are fatal to them likely comes from the claim that Chastel used a silver bullet while slaying the Beast. Many theories have been presented in the years since, with theories including packs of wolves, Chastel himself training a dog (wearing a boar's hide) to kill in order to set himself up as a hero, or a young lion being on the loose- this was shown in the 2001 film Brotherhood of the Wolf.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
greycrusader

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Ganesha! Kali! Anubis! Nuckelavee! Werewolf!)

Post by greycrusader »

Huh. I looked up the Beast of Gevaudan and it appears a semi-supported modern hypothesis is the Beast was actually a young male lion, escaped from captivity. If so, some of the other attacks by large wolves in the area were 'retro-fitted" to be the work of the Beast. The story reminds me a bit of Gustave the Crocodile, a modern day horror which may have killed and eaten as many as THREE HUNDRED PEOPLE in Burundi-Gustave is frigging 18 feet long and likely weights a short ton. The last sighting was in 2015, but the thing is likely still alive unless it succumbed to some sort of accident, or (barely possible) ran into the wrong pack of hippo-or even just THE wrong one, since the irascible things can reach a weight over three tons, and really large old bull hippos have been photographed using ten foot crocs as chew toys.

All my best.
FuzzyBoots

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Ganesha! Kali! Anubis! Nuckelavee! Werewolf!)

Post by FuzzyBoots »

The Nuckelvee also showed up in the Bards Tale remake.

https://youtu.be/1JQpE7n6eUk
Jabroniville

Winged Panther

Post by Jabroniville »

40) WINGED PANTHER
Origin:
Heraldic Creature (Mesopotamia)
Role: Winged Cat
PL 7 (93)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+9)
Athletics 8 (+12)
Expertise (Survival) 8 (+9)
Intimidation 8 (+6)
Perception 9 (+10)
Stealth 7 (+12)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Chokehold, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Prone Fighting, Seize Initiative, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing) [5]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
"Natural Weapons- Claws & Teeth" Strength-Damage +2 [2]

"Cat Agility"
"Climbing Skills" Enhanced Skills 4: Athletics 4 (+16) (Flaws: Limited to Climbing) [1]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

"Spotted Coat" Enhanced Skills 4: Stealth 4 (+16) (Flaws: Limited to Dense plants or undergrowth) [1]

Flight 5 (60 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Claws & Teeth +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Cats cannot speak to humans, nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 19 / Defenses: 11 (93)

-A peculiar creature for the MIMP line, I'd have thought this was related to the winged cats shown in Disney properties like Coco and Elena of Avalor, but is said to be of African origin, with heraldic and mythology-themed art as far back as Ancient Mesopotamia showing winged lions and other cats. "Winged Cat" sightings are occasionally reported, and are typically from domestic cats with matted hair or extra limbs on their backs, which can "flap" about when the animal moves.

-The MIMP figure is simple, but nice- a lithe feline posing with one paw in the air, and a pair of wings on its back. A well-designed creature with a good, distinctive silhouette. Winged Panthers appear in the NES game as well, as easy flying enemies.