Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Warlock! Bigfoot! Yeti! Frankenstein's Monster!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

Most demonology factoids comes from the Lesser Key of Solomon, I believe. Orobas is one of the 72 Demons of the Ars Goetia.
Jabroniville

Golem

Post by Jabroniville »

54) GOLEM
Origin:
Folklore (Jewish, 1600s)
Role: Animated Statue
PL 8 (60)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE --

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+8)
Perception 6 (+8)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Power Attack

Powers:
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 8 [8]

"Natural Size" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]
"Strength & Long Arms" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach) [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude --, Will --

Complications:
Disabled (Inanimate)- Golems are animated by the symbols on its head- removing one symbol turns "truth" to "dead", immobilizing them. They also cannot speak.

Total: Abilities: -10 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 46 / Defenses: 13 (60)

-It seems like every time action-themed fiction needs to do something with Jews, and doesn't want to touch the Bible/Torah with a ten-foot-pole, they use the Golem. As the tale is more folkloric than religious in scope, it fits the superhero narrative, as well as shows like Gargoyles. Golems are created from inanimate matter, and animated by a Rabbi. The word itself appears in the Torah to describe the lump of pre-life that was humanity before the supreme power breathed life into it, but has come to mean "lazy" and other similar things.

-The word "emet" ("truth") placed upon its head would give live to the clay or stone being, typically for work- modern stories tend to make its job involve ass-kickery, especially since the most famous story involves a Rabbi from Prague animating a golem to defend the Prague ghetto ("ghetto" is a word that originally denoted places where Jews were segregated, often in squalor) from Anti-Semitic attacks- therefore, it's a bit of a "Power Fantasy" narrative- a predecessor to the superhero books that many Jewish writers would create in the 1930s & '40s! Gargoyles used this exact Golem, in fact. Other Golem tales told of the creature running wild.

-The MIMP figure is a bit plain and static- a guy hunching his arms up with his fists balled up.

-Golems are another big, tough PL 8 grapple-heavy creature. More and more durable ones can be created, theoretically, but not from clay.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

How long did the comic last for? I never remember it.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:06 pm Most demonology factoids comes from the Lesser Key of Solomon, I believe. Orobas is one of the 72 Demons of the Ars Goetia.
Is that like a book or something? Near as I can tell, Demonology is just Biblical FanFic, like people extrapolating on Tolkien or Rowling characters (“so this guy was mentioned in the Book of ____, so I’ll invent a character for that...”).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

KorokoMystia wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:06 pm Most demonology factoids comes from the Lesser Key of Solomon, I believe.
Yep, and before that from Johann Weyer's Pseudomonarchia Daemonum, and then from his sources, which are lost.
Jabroniville wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:01 pm Near as I can tell, Demonology is just Biblical , like people extrapolating on Tolkien or Rowling characters (“so this guy was mentioned in the Book of ____, so I’ll invent a character for that...”).
Pretty much, though it draws on a lot of semi-forgotten Near Eastern mythologies as well. Then there's Mephistopheles, who comes fully formed out of the Faust stories ...
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Undine

Post by Jabroniville »

71) UNDINE
Origin:
Fictional Creature (Renaissance Europe)
Role: Comely Water Spirit
PL 4 (47)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Expertise (Spirit) 6 (+6)
Persuasion 4 (+7 Attractive)

Advantages:
Attractive

Powers:
Immunity 2 (Aging, Drowning) [2]
Swimming 4 [4]
Concealment 2 (Vision) (Flaws: Source- Water) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +4, Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (Soulless)- Undines resemble humans, but have no immortal souls. To gain one, they must marry a human, at the cost of their long lives.

Total: Abilities: 26 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 8 / Defenses: 7 (47)

-Undines are sort of a sex-fantasy written into folklore, as various ancient writers depicted them as comely maidens, equivalent to water nymphs, in many ways similar to mermaids as well. They are said to be lovely, but lacking in human souls, so to get one they have to marry a human- in this aspect, we see the obvious parallel to Hans Christian Andersen's The Little Mermaid, in which the titular creature is soulless, gaining one after her noble sacrifice for her beloved. However, in the Undine story, if the man is unfaithful, he will surely die.

-The writer who came up with Undines was Paracelsus, a chemist who believed that the four classical elements (the same ones from Avatar: The Last Airbender!) were represented by four spirits- the Undine was water. Later writers expanded upon the idea, creating FanFic, as it were, with poems and novels & stuff being inspired by this romantic ideal.

-The MIMP creature is said to be a "Sea Spirit that has no soul", and that she was a drowned woman who must now marry a human, and she's now a hideous monster. So she's been creep'd up a bit to appeal to little boys. The figure looks pretty cool, though- lots of swirling water, and an octopus on her back, as the description notes.

-This Undine isn't terribly exciting, being a sometimes-invisible Water Spirit who is pretty much just known for being hot and immortal.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:59 pm How long did the comic last for? I never remember it.
about four issues
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Oh, damn! Frozen II merchandise dropped today, and my brother’s wife is in labour! Looks like I’ll be getting a new baby friend for my birthday tomorrow!
saint_matthew

Post by saint_matthew »

HalloweenJack wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:28 am
Jabroniville wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:59 pm How long did the comic last for? I never remember it.
about four issues
Yep, I've got two of them here somewhere... I think.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

I've got the T-Rex issue, but found the other three online recently.
Jabroniville

Ghosts

Post by Jabroniville »

31) GHOST
Origin:
Folklore (All Human History, Probably)
Role: Undead Spirit
PL 3 (67)
STRENGTH
-- STAMINA -- AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Expertise (History) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 7 (+10)
Perception 3 (+5)

Advantages:
Startle

Powers:
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 4 [4]
Flight 2 (8 mph) [4]
Insubstantial 4 [20]
Concealment 2 (Vision) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (-- Damage, DC 14)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +4, Fortitude --, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Unfinished Business)- Most Ghosts remain on Earth due to unfinished business from life.

Total: Abilities: -6 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 58 / Defenses: 3 (67)

-The notion of the spirits of deceased people returning to Earth is so universal that it's probably just part of human nature to presume great powers beyond death- ancient Sumerian texts indicate that the spirit of the deceased carries on their work in death, and one of the first recorded Ghost Stories is from the 5th Century BC! Depictions of ghosts vary wildly between cultures, but most cultures feature them. Some are restless because of improper burial, or business left unfinished in the mortal world. Some are aiming for revenge. Japanese Ghosts feature the bloody wounds that killed them, while others have rattling chains. Some may speak, while others are silent. "Woman in White" stories are common in the Western world. "Ghost Sightings" number in the thousands worldwide, being easily-faked and often hard to explain. Belief in ghosts is VERY common, exacerbating these issues. Almost every large city has a few famous "Ghost Stories" contained within.

-The MIMP ghost is under-detailed and very simple, fittingly iconic yet also a trifle dull- it's just an empty cloak holding a moaning head. Some appear briefly as a minor Mook in the NES video game.

59) HERNE THE HUNTER
Origin:
Folklore/Ghost Story (England)

-Herne the Hunter is a ghost associated with Windsor Forest in Berkshire, and is said to have antlers growing out of his head, horsemanship skills, and a penchant for rattling chains and tormenting cattle. One of Shakespeare's plays mentions him, but stories from times before 1840 are hard to find. Details have been added to him over time, such as his appearances presaging national disasters or the deaths of monarchs. There are suggestions that Herne is associated with the Gaulish deity Cernunnos. Herne and his "Wild Hunt" is somewhat similar to Orion, scion of the Wood Elf army in Warhammer. Two Magic: The Gathering cards are based around his Wild Hunt as well.

-The MIMP figure is a little silly, being a MOOSE-HEADED man with a knife. Nice details on the rope and such, though.

61) ECTOPLASMIC PHANTOM
Origin:
Pseudo-Science/Hoaxery (1894)

-Ectoplasm, now largely associated with Ghostbusters and the use of "slime" to denote a run-in with a spectral entity, was first coined in 1894 by a psychical researcher named Charles Richet. Modern science does not recognize the substance, which is said to be the result of a paranormal experienced- "ghosts" leaving off traces of the stuff. Many examples, used by "mystics" and others performing seances, were actually just shenanigans involving cheesecloth, gauze or other natural things to mimic the otherworldly sensation of being touched by spirts. The exposures of these frauds rapidly lead to a downturn in physical seances.

-The MIMP figure is actually pretty good, if silly-looking, resembling a large, round-chinned monster made of dribbling goop. It has a lot of movement to it, and many little details.

67) SPECTRE
Origin:
Folklore (All Human History, Probably)
PL 5 (75): Weaken Strength 6 (Accurate 2) [8]

-Peculiarly, the "Spectre" (really the same thing as a Ghost) is actually a dead-ringer for DEATH- a skull-faced guy in a robe, carrying a scythe. He's said to "get his energy from mortals".

103) DYBBUK
Origin:
Folkloric Creature (Jewish Writings, 16th Century)
Role: Possessing Figure
PL 6 (106): Close Attack 2, Affliction 6 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled) (Feats: Subtle) (Extras: Affects Corporeal, Merge With Subject, Perception Range +2, Sustained +2) (Flaws: Instant Recovery) [39]

-A "Dybbuk" (related to the Hebrew term for "sticking") is a dislocated spirit, gone astray from its proper place. They will instead float about and possess people until it has accomplished its goal, after which it will go to its proper resting place. Stories about Dybbuks were told as a way to ensure that others behaved according to Orthodox tradition- impiety could result in Dybbuk possession. I've never heard of them, but they appear in a LOT of fiction (most of which was written by Jewish writers, who are likely to be more familiar with the notion), with The Real Ghostbusters having to deal with one named Dib Devlin at one point, and Rugrats's Jewish Grandparent characters tell the babies a story involving one.

-The MIMP figure actually ties the possessing Dybbuk into a parody of The Exorcist, with the movie's iconic "little girl with her head turned around" as the basis for the creature. It has a monstrous face, pigtails, a "little girl" outfit, oversized hands, and a doll.

-This Dybbuk is possibly malicious, but I added in an Affects Corporeal Posession effect.

105) GRAVE WATCHER
Origin:
Original Character (MIMP)
Role: Restless Spirit

-The Grave Watcher is an original MIMP character, being a skeletal figure rising from a grave, said to be watching over the graves of others after his own grave was robbed, costing him a peaceful afterlife. He's not bad, especially for a "painted" figure, as usually only the gravestone or his face is painted.

107) SLAUGHTERFORD (Christopher Slaughterford)
Origin:
Real Story w/ Folkloric Twist (England, July 1709)
Role: Ghost Story

-Christopher Slaughterford is actually a real person, hanged in 1709 for the murder of his fiancee, Jane Young. His case is important, as he was the first person in England executed exclusively on circumstantial evidence, but he's MORE famous for the story that his vengeful ghost apparently fingered the TRUE killer- one of his own servants! As a ghost, he is said to have appeared in chains, with a cut noose around his neck, crying "Vengeance! Vengeance!". According to legend, the guilty servant saw the ghost, complete with flaming brand in one hand, and a staff in the other, and committed suicide.

-An unusual, obscure figure from late in the MIMP line, with a splash of paint looking like "fire" atop his head, and painted feet (such weird choices in the Series III stuff...), Slaughterford doesn't have a bad design, being a quite "action-packed" piece with chains encircling him and a noose hanging from his neck.
drkrash

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Bigfoot! Yeti! Frankenstein's Monster! Undine! Ghosts!)

Post by drkrash »

How many figures are in this series?
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Shock

Post by Shock »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:39 am Oh, damn! Frozen II merchandise dropped today, and my brother’s wife is in labour! Looks like I’ll be getting a new baby friend for my birthday tomorrow!
I got the Lego holiday catalog in the mail yesterday and saw a bunch of Frozen 2 stuff in it. Naturally, I immediately thought of you.
Davies

Post by Davies »

drkrash wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:38 am How many figures are in this series?
At least 229, per Wiki.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

Oh. I guess I'll buckle up for the long ride.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!