Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Scots Dragon

Re: Conan the Barbarian

Post by Scots Dragon »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:16 pm CONAN THE BARBARIAN (Conan the Cimmerian)
Created By:
Robert Howard
First Appearance: Weird Tales (Dec. 1932)
Role: The Ur-Example of Barbarian Fantasy Heroes, The Guy You Wanted to Be When You Were Twelve
Group Affiliations: Cimmeria
I suppose this needs an update given that Conan's an Avenger now.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
drkrash

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Sonia! Cassandra! Oni! Pupa & Pepe! Abubo!)

Post by drkrash »

Finally caught up. This place is looking pretty old-school these days. :)

Anyway, I had only heard about Rage of the Dragons. This story and these character designs are actually really working for me a lot. I might have to hunt this one down somehow.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
M4C8

Re: Oni

Post by M4C8 »

Spectrum wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:03 pm
M4C8 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:32 pm Oni? they're trolls right? :P
Sorta, kinda? Oni fill in that big brutish often chaotic role. Troll/ogre/demon are different ways I've seen it translated.
Yeah I know, I was just teasing Jab.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jabroniville

Jae-Mo Kang

Post by Jabroniville »

JAE-MO KANG
Role:
Funny Fat Guy, Powerhouse
PL 7 (107)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+10)
Athletics 8 (+12)
Deception 1 (+3)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 6 (+6)
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 2 (+4)
Persuasion 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Special Moves), Improved Critical (Toss), Improved Critical (Kang Screw), Ranged Attack 2

Rage of the Dragons Fighting Style: Accurate Attack (Light Attack), All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Extraordinary Effort (Super Move), Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Set-Up & Teamwork (Duplex Strike), Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
"Martial Artist" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

"Fire Bomb" Damage 4 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cone +1/2) (Reduced Defenses 1) (4) -- [7]
  • AE: "Kang Screw- Spinning Leap" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Jumping Opponents) (Inaccurate) (2) -- [4]
  • AE: "Special Moves" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate) (1)
  • AE: "Toss" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Opponents Who Grappled Last Turn) (Inaccurate) (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Special Moves +7 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Fire Bomb +4 Area (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +4 (+5 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Stardom)- Kang wishes to be a movie star.
Weakness (Predictability)- Kang cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time he tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, he will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 5 + 12 / Powers: 8 / Defenses: 8 (107)

-Being a big fat guy with grappling-based moves, Jae-Mo Kang is superficially similar to Burnov of the Double Dragon series, but the guy is such a comedic, nice figure that the links are tenuous at best. MAYBE they used Burnov as a starting point, but he's mostly a generic Comedy Fighter. Kang was bullied for his size as a child, and so developed a wrestling style to perfect himself physically, enabling him to move with surprising speed. Desiring a movie career, he allied with B-Movie Kung-Fu star Mr. Jones, and the pair entered the tournament based around people fighting for Dragons and whatever.

-Kang fights like an athletic Powerhouse, controlling the movement phase of the game by spinning rapidly in the air, throwing out a Fire Bomb (like Yoga Fire- a wide arc of flame that takes up space and forces opponents to jump or otherwise move out of the way), and other ways of forcing people into grapples.
squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama »

Sorta, kinda? Oni fill in that big brutish often chaotic role. Troll/ogre/demon are different ways I've seen it translated.
Hmm, sort of. Ogre or troll is probably the closest thing to an english translation but generally in Japanese mythology their seen a little differently. More magical in many cases and the race carrying a bit more rep than an orc or troll would for an English speaker as a couple Oni, Shuten Douji and Ibaraki Douji, are part of Japans legendary monsters. so it's sort of like an Ogre, only if Ogres were considered more dangerous than dragons.
Spam

Post by Spam »

M4C8 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:50 pm
Yeah I know, I was just teasing Jab.
Don't worry, M4C8, I caught that reference.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

squirrelly-sama wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:03 am
Hmm, sort of. Ogre or troll is probably the closest thing to an english translation but generally in Japanese mythology their seen a little differently. More magical in many cases and the race carrying a bit more rep than an orc or troll would for an English speaker as a couple Oni, Shuten Douji and Ibaraki Douji, are part of Japans legendary monsters. so it's sort of like an Ogre, only if Ogres were considered more dangerous than dragons.
my understanding is that Oni are more a race with an absolutely absurd amount of variations and with behaviors ranging from deal making devils to chaos war bringing monsters
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama »

catsi563 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:31 am
squirrelly-sama wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:03 am

my understanding is that Oni are more a race with an absolutely absurd amount of variations and with behaviors ranging from deal making devils to chaos war bringing monsters
they appear in a lot of japanese myths in a lot of different ways. Momotaro has them on an island kidnapping and eating people until he stops them. General tradition has them as common mischievous monsters that are scared away by roasted soybeans. The Legend of Shuten Douji has the oni decendant from the goddamed Orochi, a divine multi-headed dragon that was killed by the gods to gift a holy sword to a legendary hero. They appear in the legend of Issun Boshi and eat him before he kills them by stabbing their insides and using a magical size changing mallet to grow to full size. They appear so much in japanese culture that they're basically something that they're basically ubiquitous.
Jabroniville

Mr. Jones

Post by Jabroniville »

MR. JONES (Johnny Jones)
Role:
Japan's Idea of Black People, Comedy Character
PL 7 (108)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+12)
Athletics 9 (+11)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Acting) 3 (+6)
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Perception 5 (+6)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Bruce Lee Punch), Improved Critical (Multi-Punch), Ranged Attack 2

Rage of the Dragons Fighting Style: Accurate Attack (Light Attack), All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Extraordinary Effort (Super Move), Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Set-Up & Teamwork (Duplex Strike), Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:

"Multi-Punch" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Multiattack 3) (Flaws: Distracting) Linked to Affliction 3 (Toughness; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (5) -- [6]
  • AE: "Bruce Lee Punch" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate) (1)
Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Special Moves +9 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Multi-Punch +11 (+3 Damage & Affliction, DC 18 & 13)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Fame)- Mr. Jones seeks to become a huge movie star. He is somewhat popular, but a recent bomb has affected his career.
Weakness (Predictability)- Mr. Jones cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time he tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, he will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 4 + 12 / Powers: 7 / Defenses: 12 (108)

-Mr. Jones is the type of Comedy Character that shows up a lot in Japan- the black guy with 1970s fashion. In this case, he also takes several steps from Bruce Lee, doing his trademark vocalisms while throwing out Jeet Kune Do-style punches and kicks and wearing the Game of Death yellow jumpsuit. His name and image gives off impressions of Jim Kelly, who appeared in Enter the Dragon and Black Belt Jones. He's a wannabe film star who's modified JKD into his own style called "Kung Funky", which had brought him a degree of fame, but he also fights to defend the weak, and so joins the festivities of this game. Unusually, he was also chosen for Power Instinct- Matrimelee as a Guest Character- the only unimportant ROTD character to gain that honor.

-Mr. Jones is a fast, accurate fighter with somewhat-low toughness for one of the male characters.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Here's a wiki link on Oni:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oni
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Now I have to figure a way to add these into my Street fighter universe :P
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Johann

Post by Jabroniville »

JOHANN
Role:
Final Boss, Crimelord
PL 9 (151)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+13)
Athletics 9 (+12)
Deception 4 (+8)
Expertise (Criminal) 9 (+10)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 5 (+9)
Perception 5 (+8)
Persuasion 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Assessment, Great Endurance, Close Attack, Improved Critical (Unarmed) +1, Improved Critical (Special Moves), Improved Critical (Fireball), Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Takedown 2

Powers:

"Surge of Anger" Damage 7 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (Reduced Defenses 2) (10) -- [13]
  • AE: Blast 6 (Feats: Accurate) (Reduced Defenses 2, Diminished Range -1) (8)
  • AE: "Special Moves" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate) (1)
  • AE: "Grapple Moves" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Opponents Who Grappled Last Turn) (Inaccurate) (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Special Moves +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Blast +10 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +4 (+5 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Greed & Power)
Responsibility (The Black Dragon)- Johann is empowered by the Black Dragon, which makes him the target of the White, Green, Red & Blue Dragons.
Weakness (Predictability)- Johann cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time he tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, he will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 76 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 14 + 12 / Powers: 14 / Defenses: 13 (151)

-Johann is the Final Boss of Rage of the Dragons, and unfortunately has a very plain design for a boss. Most of SNK's guys are these elaborate, crazy designs with flowing capes, badass suits, etc., but Johann comes off like he could be any other rank & file selectable character. He's just got a loincloth and a half-cape, with a pointy chin-goatee and red hair- really dropping the ball. His concept is that he's possessed by the evil Black Dragon, which makes him the target of all the good guy characters, possessed by good dragons. He's a former disciple of Lynn and the Lewis boy's sensei, and also the head of a huge underground criminal organization in Sunshine City.

-Johann doesn't have a very elaborate moveset- just a really powerful Blast and good speed & attack power. One move grapples you by the throat, fires out energy into it, and then he throws you away and fires a "Sonic Boom"-type blast- another thing has him fire out a person-sized energy bolt (Area Damage).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

M4C8 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:32 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:54 am ONI INOMURA
Oni? they're trolls right? :P
:P

I must have come off as super-annoyed when I wrote my D&D thing on them, lol.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

drkrash wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:03 pm Finally caught up. This place is looking pretty old-school these days. :)

Anyway, I had only heard about Rage of the Dragons. This story and these character designs are actually really working for me a lot. I might have to hunt this one down somehow.
Cool, glad you like them! I remember being impressed by some of them (okay... just Cassandra) back in the day. Doing sets like these really helps me remember the characters better, so I don't have to flip to Fighter's Generation every time I try to remember the obscure games' characters.

And Johann does it for Rage of the Dragons! And thus completes my THIRD attempt at posting the Double Dragon characters- the first one was on the Atomic Think Tank, near its dying days. The second was at Ronin Army, when I was posting Video Games Builds and was like "Well, why not just re-post these, then?". And now I finally have the three sets of Fighting Games posted out. And you can see why I hesitated so long on this- like Power Instinct, it's a load of characters who are rather obscure.

And now... a set I've had on the backburner for literally years. One I would've re-posted after my Video Game Set if I wasn't burned out on them at that point (and if this hadn't been such a big set). Finally I'm ignoring doing a "What should be my next set?" poll and doing what I wanted to do all along- MARIO BUILDS!!!

These will largely be based off of the side-scrolling games, but there'll be occasional other things here and there. Many old builds, while others will be new.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:54 am
drkrash wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:03 pm Finally caught up. This place is looking pretty old-school these days. :)

Cool, glad you like them! I remember being impressed by some of them (okay... just Cassandra) back in the day. Doing sets like these really helps me remember the characters better, so I don't have to flip to Fighter's Generation every time I try to remember the obscure games' characters.

And Johann does it for Rage of the Dragons! And thus completes my THIRD attempt at posting the Double Dragon characters- the first one was on the Atomic Think Tank, near its dying days. The second was at Ronin Army, when I was posting Video Games Builds and was like "Well, why not just re-post these, then?". And now I finally have the three sets of Fighting Games posted out. And you can see why I hesitated so long on this- like Power Instinct, it's a load of characters who are rather obscure.

And now... a set I've had on the backburner for literally years. One I would've re-posted after my Video Game Set if I wasn't burned out on them at that point (and if this hadn't been such a big set). Finally I'm ignoring doing a "What should be my next set?" poll and doing what I wanted to do all along- MARIO BUILDS!!!

These will largely be based off of the side-scrolling games, but there'll be occasional other things here and there. Many old builds, while others will be new.
I always like to see characters from Fighting Games, even obscure characters. Even if I'm only like one of what, three people that knows some of these obscure guys, since I used to play pretty much every Fighting Game I could get my hands on.

And oh yeah, Mario! I'm happy to see those builds again (Yeah, I went on a big archive binge at some point, especialily through the Video Game Builds). I do feel that there's plenty of potential for new builds, like Bowser Jr. (though he's probably basically just a modification of the Koopa Kid Template), Rosalina, maybe Daisy and Waluigi too, (Also, there's likely new power ups to add like the Bee Mushroom from Mario Galaxy which I think got missed last time around. There's also Mario's hat buddy from the new game, Mario Oddysey) There's also likely plenty of bosses from side-games and such to throw into Templates, too. (like Triclyde and Clawgrip from Mario 2, and Tatanga from Mario Land, as well as stuff from Wario and Yoshi's games) Also, since it's relevant (really, it may as well be a sub-series of Mario, despite Donkey Kong techincally coming first), could it be possible to include some stuff from the Donkey Kong Country games? Well, I'd like to at least see the modern version of Donkey Kong, as well Diddy Kong and Dixie and King K. Rool. Also, for something that isn't just me listing off guys that weren't in the builds last time: Anyone remember the Mario Cartoons? Because man, those were so bizarre, especially since they had CAPTAIN LOU ALBANO (RIP) voicing Mario, even in weird live action segments! And then there was bizarreness like in one of the live action segments, the real Ernie Hudson..playing an off-brand Ghostbuster.