Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
FuzzyBoots

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Scarecrow! Riddler! Robin! Phantasm! Roxy Rocket!)

Post by FuzzyBoots »

It was also the end of Joe Chill in the comics.
Jabroniville

Firefly

Post by Jabroniville »

Volcana: THAT's your flamethrower?..."
Firefly: "You should see what I DO with it!"
*gets ass handed to him by the police; watches Volcana utterly wipe the floor with them using gigantic fireballs*
"I'm in LOVE!"

FIREFLY (Garfield Lynns)
Created By:
France Herron & Dick Sprang (hee hee)
First Appearance: Detective Comics #184 (June 1952)
Role: Jobber Villain
Mental Problems: Pyromania, Revenge Fantasy
Voice Actor: Mark Rolston
First Episode: "Torch Song"
Finest Moment: Giving his ex-girlfriend permanent pyrophobia
PL 8 (115)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Deception 5 (+6)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+7)
Expertise (Pyrotechnical Engineer) 4 (+7)
Insight 4 (+5)
Intimidation 6 (+7)
Perception 4 (+5)
Vehicles 5 (+8)
Ranged Combat (Fire) 2 (+10)
Stealth 4 (+8)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Flamethrower), Ranged Attack 5, Startle

Powers:
"Firefly Costume" Device 8 (hard to lose) [25]
Protection 1 (1)
Flight 5 (60 mph) (10)
Immunity 5 (Fire Damage) (5)
"Flamethrower" Fire Damage 7 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (14) -- (15)
  • AE: Fire Blast 6 (12)
-- (31 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Flamethrower +7 Area (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Fire Blast +10 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3 (+4 Costume), Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Enemy (Batman)
Obsession (Starting Fires)- As Batman Rogues go, this mania's almost mundane.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 25 / Defenses: 14 (115)

-Wow, this character's been around a LOT longer than I thought- he predates the entire Silver Age! Yet, on the list of great Batman foes, Firefly is somewhere around the E-list. As a pyromaniac, he was forcibly left off the early Batman: TAS, but came in for Batman & Robin, which was when the show got a little bit weaker. A one-note pyro villain with a grudge against his Pop Icon ex-girlfriend, he wasn't much of a challenge. He showed up in Justice League during a prison break-out, only to get embarassed by the police- the sultry Volcana would use her tremendous power to save him, at which point he declared his love for her (I'm with ya, buddy- that was Peri Gilpin!). It was pretty much a plot point that he sucked and regular cops could easily hold him off.

-Despite being an E-list Batman villain, ol' Firefly is reasonably-close to Batman in Power Level (PL 8 to Batman's PL 9-10-ishness), actually providing some difficulty with his Flamethrower, which can either be a generic Blast (PL 8, with +6 to damage) or an Area Effect (PL 7). The regular Blast is weaker because it's at a lower setting. Not much else, though, as his science skills are only adequate (he has both Science and Pyro stuff since that also leads to Pop Cultural knowledge and stuff). He's more of a Shocker-level troublesome villain than an actually dangerous main event bad-guy.

About the Performer: Mark Rolston is a minor actor who tends to play villains, as he has a very icy stare, according to Wikipedia. The one I most remember was the serial prison rapist, Bogs, in "The Shawshank Redemption" (that makes two guys in this series who played gay rapists). He still voice acts, playing Lex Luthor in "Young Justice".
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Firefly is one of the few Batman:TAS villains who was used way more effectively in The Batman.

First, he looked a lot cooler:

Secondly, he had a bit more of a personality, still being a pyromaniac, but also a thief for hire, an adrenaline junkie, smart-ass and a tech genius, having a high-speed flight system that gave Batman trouble and some highly focused heat beams in his gauntlets. He was actually a legit threat in that series.

Then they decided to do something interesting by giving Firefly a power upgrade and have his new experimental fuel system transform him into a metahuman who was constantly on fire. He took the name "Phosphorous" (making him a remake of old Batman villain Dr. Phosphorous) and realized the downside of being "the embodiment of flame", ie he couldn't touch anything, couldn't eat anything, couldn't touch his girlfriend, etc. Basically, the guy who spent the entire show being a wisecracking a-hole got the power he'd always wanted, and it made him miserable.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

M4C8 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:27 pm I've just read that the Phantasm is being introduced in the comics.

What's your thoughts on the 2004 'The Batman' animated series.
That's the one animated by the Jackie Chan Adventures guys, right? I found the art style pretty bad, and the villain designs kind of dumb. Ninja Penguin and Fright Wig Joker annoyed me instantly. I was never taken by any episodes I saw (almost all early ones, to be fair), and saw a "Bruce w/ Sidekicks" one much later and also wasn't impressed. Which is weird, because I kinda liked the Jackie Chan show. That the show also resulted in killing off Batman-themed stuff on JLU just made it worse.
Jabroniville

Batgirl

Post by Jabroniville »

"Well, Woobie. If Batman can't help... then we'll just have to see what BATGIRL can do..."

BATGIRL (Barbara Gordon)
Created By:
Gardner Fox & Carmine Infantino
First Appearance: Detective Comics #359 (Jan. 1967)
Role: Lesser Sidekick, Plucky Girl
Mental Problems: Overly-Eager to Please
Voice Actor: Melissa Gilbert, Mary Kay Bergman, Tara Strong
First Episode: "Heart of Steel, Part I" (Barbara), "Shadow of the Bat, Part I" (Batgirl)
Finest Moment: Saving the day from those trying to frame Commissioner Gordon
PL 8 (158)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+13)
Athletics 7 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 5 (+13)
Deception 5 (+9)
Expertise (Streetwise) 3 (+6)
Expertise (Science) 3 (+6)
Insight 7 (+11)
Intimidation 3 (+7)
Investigation 5 (+8)
Perception 5 (+8)
Persuasion 4 (+8)
Ranged Combat (Batarangs) 4 (+13)
Stealth 6 (+11)
Technology 4 (+7)
Treatment 2 (+5)
Vehicles 3 (+7)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Beginner's Luck, Defensive Attack, Equipment 12 (Bat-cycle, Utility Belt), Evasion, Fast Grab, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Critical (Batarangs), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Jack-of-All-Trades, Luck, Prone Fighting, Ranged Attack 5, Set-Up, Takedown 2, Teamwork, Tracking, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
"Expert Martial Artist" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

Equipment:
"Bat-cycle" Motorcycle (Medium, Strenght 1, Speed 6- 120 mph, Defense 10, Toughness 8, Remote Control (11)

"Utility Belt"
Camera, CommLink, Audio Recorder, Handcuffs, Binoculars, Mini-Tracer, Night Vision Goggles, Flashlight, Gas Mask, Multi-Tool, Rebreather, Cutting Torch (12)
"Grapple Gun" Movement 1 (Swinging) (2)

"Choking Gas" Affliction 6 (Fort; Dazed & Vulnerable/Defenseless & Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cloud +2, Ranged, Extra Condition) (Diminished Range -1) (29) -- (32)
  • AE: "Batarangs" Blast 3 (Feats: Homing, Ricochet) (Extras: Multiattack) (Diminished Range -1) (10)
  • AE: "Smoke Pellets" Concealment (Visuals) 2 (Extras: Attack, Area- 30ft. Cloud +2) (10)
-- (57 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Batarangs +13 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Choking Gas +6 Area (+6 Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +2, Fortitude +5, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Justice)- As the daughter of a Police Commissioner, Barbara is as focused on the law as anyone.
Responsibility (Gotham City)- Batgirl considers herself Gotham's protector.
Relationship (Dick Grayson)- Dick & Barbara engage in some light or serious flirtation.
Relationship (Batman)- At some point, the two hooked up when Dick Grayson had a final breaking-off with The Bat.
Relationship (Commissioner Gordon)- Batgirl's father is the light of her life.
Enemy (The Joker, The Pengiun, etc.)- All of Batman's Rogues also want Batgirl dead.
Reputation (Lawless Vigilante)- Batman is generally more frightening to the people of Gotham, but what Batgirl does is still technically illegal.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 74--37 / Advantages: 39 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 21 (158)

-Barbara Gordon really turned out great. As the second Batgirl (the first- created mainly so Batman & Robin wouldn't look so gay- was Bette Kane, created in the 1950s), she was probably more famous for being played by the Uber-Goddess Yvonne Craig in the 1960s TV series, but she got some play in the Bat-books as well, as a sexy PhD Librarian who beat up criminals on the side. She was REALLY popular among girls, being a butt-kicking, super-smart girl who wasn't a giant ho-bag, and I've read some very good things about her solo appearances (which I don't think ever sold particularly well). Of course, this didn't stop her from being wiped out by that great Alan Moore story, The Killing Joke (Moore later regretted his actions, even though Babs was "un-used" at the time). It was John Ostrander's fabled Suicide Squad run that re-invented her as spunky, handi-capable Super-Hacker "Oracle" (Ostrander's wife helped), which led to a great run on Birds of Prey, where favoured creator Gail Simone took to her favourite character.

-Barbara Gordon (done PROPERLY, as Jim Gordon's DAUGHTER, not a cousin or something dumb like that because Frank Miller forgot which gender the damn kid was supposed to be) was done spectacularly well on the Animated Series, starting out as just Jim Gordon's cutie-pie daughter. She even used amateur detective skills to help fight H.A.R.D.A.C.! This set the stage for Batgirl's real debut, when she donned a makeshift costume to help drum up support for her incarcerated dad (he'd been framed). Feeling Batman & Robin needed assistance, Barbara set about creating an actual identity, and actually helped save the day, catching the bad guy and sparing his life. Her appearances were VERY sparse at first (it was Batman's show first, and even Robin only got into the occasional episode), but eventually, when the art style was simplified and it became a foursome (Batman/Nightwing/Robin/Batgirl), she was in many more episodes. I wasn't a big fan of the "eventual" story given in Batman Beyond, where Barbara and Bruce hooked up (ewwwwwwww!), leaving Nightwing in the cold and everyone all bitter and hateful, though. It's just Paul Dini having some weird gross fetish that makes Batman look like a pedo (Barbara is always given a REALLY young-looking design).

-Batgirl is much weaker in combat than either Batman or Robin, focusing as much on pluck and determination, and her incredible athletic skill (daddy made her get self-defense lessons to protect her from bad guys). So she's weak as a kitten, but highly accurate- balanced to PL 7.5. She's not hyper-capable enough to take on a Bat-villain by herself, but she's a good assister. By the time The Adventures of Batman & Robin comes on, she's quite a bit better, getting a swack of Equipment (Cycle, Batarangs, etc.), some more Advantages, etc. She probably started off as a PL 5-6 character, moved up to PL 7 (just under Robin) by The Adventures Of-- , and was a PL 8 by the art-switch.

About the Performer: Batgirl has actually been played by THREE actresses in her history, which is rather unusual. The first, Melissa Gilbert, is easily most famous for playing Laura Ingalls Wilder in "Little House on the Prairie" during much of the '70s and '80s (the series is now most-legendary for Michael Landon's INSANELY stupid giant mop of clearly-70s-hair). She was also in a lot of TV films at that time, though her career had wound down by the time she was playing Batgirl, and she was mostly known for dating & marrying a series of fairly-famous men (well, okay, Rob Lowe & Bruce Boxleitner, I guess)

-For "Batman: Sub-Zero", Batgirl was played by Mary Kay Bergman, one of the most beloved VAs ever. She was deeply mourned by the industry after her suicide in the early 2000s- she was the voice of most of the female "South Park" characters for a time, having gotten her start as a replacement for Snow White and Daphne Blake. Grey DeLisle, the voice of Azula on Avatar, was basically her student, and took over Daphne as a tribute, on the urging of Mary Kay's widowed husband.

-The final Batgirl was Tara Strong, who played her on "The New Adventures of-" and beyond. Strong is pretty much THE name in Voice Acting, having become a living legend of sorts for all the different roles she's played. Her big roles were Bubbles on "The Powerpuff Girls", Ben Tennyson on "Ben 10", Raven on "Teen Titans", Twilight Sparkle on "My Little Pony", and Timmy Turner on "The Fairly OddParents"- a HUGE array of big names. She's also Rikku in "Final Fantasy X", having done a lot of Video Game voicing as well. And she fits that weird tendency of female VAs to be SCORCHINGLY hot, as she is a very busty, "classically pretty" blonde, and could easily get roles as "The Hot Girl", even in her 40s.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ken

Re: Batgirl

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:51 am -Barbara Gordon really turned out great. As the second Batgirl (the first- created mainly so Batman & Robin wouldn't look so gay- was Bette Kane, created in the 1950s), she was probably more famous for being played by the Uber-Goddess Yvonne Craig in the 1960s TV series, but she got some play in the Bat-books as well, as a sexy PhD Librarian who beat up criminals on the side. She was REALLY popular among girls, being a butt-kicking, super-smart girl who wasn't a giant ho-bag, and I've read some very good things about her solo appearances (which I don't think ever sold particularly well).
Betty was created in the 1960s. She debuted in 1961. Recent attempts to assign her to Earth-Two rather than Earth-One were off. (Her aunt, Kathy Kane DID have counterparts on both Earths, but she debuted in July 1956, three months BEFORE Barry Allen. J'onn pre-dated her though.)

Barbara was pretty much created in the comics so she could be played by uber-goddess Yvonne Craig on TV. And as a general rule, one can depend that more people see a TV show than read the comic the TV show is based on.

Her "solo-appearances" were kind of odd. DC never gave her a solo book. Anymore than there was ever a "Robin" title while Dick Grayson had the role. However, both of them appeared in Batman Family, often in solo stories (ah, the days of comics with multiple stories in them), but also, sometimes, in "Dynamite Duo" stories. Stories where Robin and Batgirl would team-up without Batman. This is where a lot of the Dick-and-Barbara shippers started there shipping, five years before Princess Koriand'r would debut.

Now, here's the thing... Batman Family actually sold pretty well, by late 1970s standards. Considerably better than Detective Comics, certainly. Detective was nearing cancellation numbers, which was awkward since the companies name "DC" was offically based on the name "Detective Comics". But, "Detective Comics" is a fairly non-specific title, even if its been associated with Batman for 80 years. So, DC cancelled Batman Family, and changed Detective Comics to be "Detective Comics starring the Batman Familty". Weirdly, Detective-as-Batman-Family didn't sell like Batman Family had. I suspect it had to do with there being completists in the fan community who liked having a Bat book whose entire run could actually be obtained; a Bat book with only double digit issue numbers.

==================

In late summer on 1989, I arrived in London for my fall semester abroad. It was only a few months after Tim Burton's Batman had come out, and the western world was again in the grips of Bat-mania. It was my first day there, school hadn't started yet, and I was trying to recover from jet-lag. The Regent's College campus is in the middle of Regent's Park. So, I was awakened by the sound (my window was open), of two little girls (maybe 6 or 7) playing outside. They were playing 'Batgirl'. And they both wanted to be Batgirl. So they decided there would be two Batgirls. I smiled, decided Betty Kane would be proud, and guessed that the BBC or ITV or Channel 4 were showing the Adam West Batman series, and they'd reached season three.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
FuzzyBoots

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Robin! Phantasm! Roxy Rocket! Bane! Batgirl!)

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Not DCAU, but there was a famous PSA featuring Batgirl about Equal Pay. Notably, that is not Adam West in the Batman costume, but Dick Gautier, well known for playing Hymie the Robot in Get Smart.

As I think I've said before, the TV show was my primary exposure to Batman, and is still what I think of as the real Batman, corny as it was.
squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:51 am-Barbara Gordon (done PROPERLY, as Jim Gordon's DAUGHTER, not a cousin or something dumb like that because Frank Miller forgot which gender the damn kid was supposed to be) was done spectacularly well on the Animated Series, starting out as just Jim Gordon's cutie-pie daughter. She even used amateur detective skills to help fight H.A.R.D.A.C.! This set the stage for Batgirl's real debut, when she donned a makeshift costume to help drum up support for her incarcerated dad (he'd been framed). Feeling Batman & Robin needed assistance, Barbara set about creating an actual identity, and actually helped save the day, catching the bad guy and sparing his life. Her appearances were VERY sparse at first (it was Batman's show first, and even Robin only got into the occasional episode), but eventually, when the art style was simplified and it became a foursome (Batman/Nightwing/Robin/Batgirl), she was in many more episodes. I wasn't a big fan of the "eventual" story given in Batman Beyond, where Barbara and Bruce hooked up (ewwwwwwww!), leaving Nightwing in the cold and everyone all bitter and hateful, though. It's just Paul Dini having some weird gross fetish that makes Batman look like a pedo (Barbara is always given a REALLY young-looking design).
Eh, most of the girls on the show look kinda weirdly young, like some weird reverse of Dawson casting. It's just a thing in animation, it's kinda hard to make a female character appear older without risking making them look like they're 50 years older than you want because you added 1 too many lines to their face. Without concrete ages for the characters I always just figured Bruce was probably in his late 20s with nightwing and Batgirl in their late teens (like Senior in Highschool if not out of school) or early 20s like a college student, though I did think the actual eventual romance would be between her and Nightwing/Robin and in a way it sort of was. With Batman Beyond it didn't really seem to matter since by that point the two were ancient, even the actual show said nothing started until after she was in college.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

squirrelly-sama wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:32 am Eh, most of the girls on the show look kinda weirdly young, like some weird reverse of Dawson casting. It's just a thing in animation, it's kinda hard to make a female character appear older without risking making them look like they're 50 years older than you want because you added 1 too many lines to their face. Without concrete ages for the characters I always just figured Bruce was probably in his late 20s with nightwing and Batgirl in their late teens (like Senior in Highschool if not out of school) or early 20s like a college student, though I did think the actual eventual romance would be between her and Nightwing/Robin and in a way it sort of was. With Batman Beyond it didn't really seem to matter since by that point the two were ancient, even the actual show said nothing started until after she was in college.
True to a degree, though Barbara was also REALLY young in voice.

The lack of age was also emphasized by a lack of curves. Though all the women got much narrower as time went on, you still had Poison Ivy and the later Justice League style with women. Barbara was always VERY petite.
Jabroniville

Robin (Tim)

Post by Jabroniville »

ROBIN II (Tim Drake)
Created By:
Marv Wolfman & Pat Broderick
First Appearance: Batman #436 (Aug. 1989)
Role: The Sidekick, The Comic Relief
Mental Problems: Rebelliousness
Voice Actor: Mathew Valencia, Eli Marienthal
First Episode: "Holiday Knights"
Finest Moment: Overcame weeks of the Joker's torture, refusing to be brainwashed into killing Batman.
PL 7 (154)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+13)
Athletics 8 (+9)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+12)
Deception 7 (+10)
Expertise (Streetwise) 6 (+8)
Expertise (Science) 3 (+5)
Insight 4 (+7)
Investigation 6 (+9)
Perception 5 (+8)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Batarangs) 4 (+12)
Stealth 5 (+10)
Technology 5 (+7)
Treatment 2 (+4)
Vehicles 3 (+7)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Beginner's Luck, Defensive Attack, Defensive Throw, Equipment 12 (Bat-cycle, Utility Belt), Evasion, Fast Grab, Grappling Finesse, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Critical (Batarangs), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Improved Trip, Languages 1 (Various), Luck, Power Attack, Precise Attack 2 (Ranged/Cover, Close/Concealment), Prone Fighting, Ranged Attack 5, Skill Mastery (Acrobatics), Takedown, Tracking, Uncanny Dodge

Equipment:
"Bat-cycle" Motorcycle (Medium, Strenght 1, Speed 6- 120 mph, Defense 10, Toughness 8, Remote Control (11)

"Utility Belt"
Camera, CommLink, Audio Recorder, Handcuffs, Binoculars, Mini-Tracer, Night Vision Goggles, Flashlight, Gas Mask, Multi-Tool, Rebreather, Cutting Torch (12)
"Grapple Gun" Movement 1 (Swinging) (2)

"Choking Gas" Affliction 6 (Fort; Dazed & Vulnerable/Defenseless & Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cloud +2, Ranged, Extra Condition) (Diminished Range -1) (29) -- (32)
  • AE: "Batarangs" Blast 3 (Feats: Homing, Ricochet) (Extras: Multiattack) (Diminished Range -1) (10)
  • AE: "Smoke Pellets" Concealment (Visuals) 2 (Extras: Attack, Area- 30ft. Cloud +2) (10)
-- (57 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Batarangs +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Choking Gas +6 Area (+6 Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +2, Fortitude +5, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Justice)- Tim Drake is the son of a ne'er-do-well criminal, and he strives to be just the opposite.
Responsibility (Gotham City)- Robin considers himself Gotham's protector.
Enemy (The Joker, The Pengiun, etc.)- All of Batman's Rogues also want The Boy Wonder dead.
Reputation (Lawless Vigilante)- Batman is generally more frightening to the people of Gotham, but what Robin does is still technically illegal.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 72--36 / Advantages: 44 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 21 (154)

-Tim Drake is a weird ol' story in comic book history. See, DC flubbed badly with the second Robin, Jason Todd, because they made him way too much like Dick Grayson on one end, and then when they tried to fix it, they made him an almighty tool. Drake was sorta the best of both worlds. Sure, all three Robins were inexplicably identical-looking black-haired kids (no weirder than Captain America, Thor, Hawkeye & Giant-Man all having the same-looking dude as a secret I.D.), but at least Drake was a regular kid from a decent (if single-parent) household. Successful characterization (and making him NOT a total butt-hole- that trick only works with FEMALE teenage characters, oddly enough), a "Young Justice" run, and his own solo book ended up making Tim a rather beloved character, and I'd argue he's an even better Robin than Dick ever was- I still prefer Grayson HIGHLY as a character, of course, but AS ROBIN, Tim has him beat.

-Tim entered the TV show as a strange mix of Jason & Tim. See, Tim was a little generic, and I guess they didn't want to go the "has parents" route, so they gave him bits of Jason's origin as the son of a crook, which is able to humanize him, and make sense of why this young kid would fight crime. He had a couple great episodes of his own (like the creepy one where Clayface sprung off a "minion" that attained sentience, Tim fell for her, and she was RESORBED into Matt Hagen's body, while Tim swore vengeance for her "murder"), and they REALLY wrung him out in the "Return of the Joker" Batman Beyond movie, where The Clown Prince himself made Tim into a sick version of himself. Kinda makes you wonder about the validity of using children as sidekicks, ya know?

-Tim is basically just a baby version of Nightwing/Robin I, himself a baby version of Batman. A PL 7 crimefighter, he's good at what he does, but he's a REAL hanger-on to the Big Dog himself. He's too little to cause major damage, but his accuracy means that he can still Power Attack Mooks for +6 damage (higher than many GUNS) with an Attack Bonus of +7 (not too shabby on weaker targets). Hilariously, this PL 7 kid (I mean, a SERPENT SOCIETY member would have a good shot against him) is still the price-point equivalent of a PL 10 Player Character hero. Just goes to show you- Bruce trains 'em WELL.

About the Performers: Mathew Valencia has this as BY FAR his biggest role, getting the role when he was sixteen. Eli Marienthal took over the role for "Mystery of the Batwoman"- he is best known for playing Hogarth in "The Iron Giant".
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Finest Moment: I'm drawing a blank (someone help me out here...)
In the episode "Never Fear", he ties up Batman and goes after Scarecrow by himself saying Batman is out of control and no longer afraid to kill.
squirrelly-sama

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:46 pm
squirrelly-sama wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:32 am Eh, most of the girls on the show look kinda weirdly young, like some weird reverse of Dawson casting. It's just a thing in animation, it's kinda hard to make a female character appear older without risking making them look like they're 50 years older than you want because you added 1 too many lines to their face. Without concrete ages for the characters I always just figured Bruce was probably in his late 20s with nightwing and Batgirl in their late teens (like Senior in Highschool if not out of school) or early 20s like a college student, though I did think the actual eventual romance would be between her and Nightwing/Robin and in a way it sort of was. With Batman Beyond it didn't really seem to matter since by that point the two were ancient, even the actual show said nothing started until after she was in college.
True to a degree, though Barbara was also REALLY young in voice.

The lack of age was also emphasized by a lack of curves. Though all the women got much narrower as time went on, you still had Poison Ivy and the later Justice League style with women. Barbara was always VERY petite.
Her voice was rather young but she didn't seem petite to me, short maybe but she had some curves. Especially after the redesign where all the women seemed to have have waists smaller than their necks.
squirrelly-sama

Shock wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:19 pm
Finest Moment: I'm drawing a blank (someone help me out here...)
In the episode "Never Fear", he ties up Batman and goes after Scarecrow by himself saying Batman is out of control and no longer afraid to kill.
I'd say it was when he overcame the Joker's torture in the Batman Beyond movie to not kill Batman after being driven insane from 2 weeks of constant torture.
Jabroniville

Calendar Girl

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

CALENDAR GIRL (Page Munroe)
Created By:
Paul Dini & Bruce Timm
First Appearance: N/A
Role: Fallen Star
Mental Problems: Obsession with Vengeance, Poor Self-Esteem, Body Dysmorphic Disorder
Voice Actor: Sela Ward
First Episode: "Mean Seasons"
Group Affiliations: None
Finest Moment: Is SCORCHINGLY hot, despite her "age"
PL 7 (96)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Athletics 3 (+4)
Deception 2 (+6)
Expertise (Supermodel) 6 (+10)
Expertise (Criminal) 5 (+6)
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 2 (+6)
Perception 3 (+4)
Persuasion 2 (+6)
Stealth 1 (+4)

Advantages:
Equipment 6 (Various Holiday-Themed Things), Ranged Attack 4

Equipment:
"Fourth of July- Fireworks" Blast 6 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (18)
"Fourth of July- Firework Costume" Dazze Visuals 6 (12)
"Fourth of July- Ribbons" Snare 6 (18)
"Easter- Gas Bomb Eggs" Affliction 6 (Fort; Fatigued/Exhausted/Asleep) (Extras: Ranged, Area- 15ft. Cloud) (Diminished Range -1) (17)
"Hallowe'en- Exploding Pumpkins" Blast 6 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (18)
"Day of the Dead- Scythe" Strenght-Damage +3 (Feats: Reach) (4)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Scythe +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Explosives +6 Area (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Gas Bomb Eggs +6 Area (+6 Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Revenge)- Page Munroe was fired years ago by various employers, who felt she was too old to represent their companies any longer. Now, driven to madness by her social problems, she craves revenge, up to and including murder.
Phobia (Showing Her Face)- Munroe has no idea how beautiful she really is- "All she can see are the flaws." When her mask comes off, she is beside herself with horror and grief.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 11 / Defenses: 8 (100)

-Calendar Girl is a one-off villain from the later episodes- she's a famous ex-model whose career was ruined by the perceived "aging" of her face- her flaws were repeatedly brought up to her, and she eventually left the business entirely- in the episode, even Batgirl repeats the mean rumors that "the surgeon nipped when he should have tucked". When old agents, directors, agency executives, and more come under attack, she is suspected, given that she was wronged by all of them. Wearing a mask to conceal what are SURELY horrible scars, she nearly kills her opponents (and even BATMAN) before being stopped. In the end, she loses her mask- shrieking at her atrocious appearance being seen, she freaks out... and reveals a stunningly beautiful woman. Batgirl is staggered, pointing out her beauty- Batman sadly and knowingly states "all she can see are the flaws...".

-Calendar Girl is a remarkably efficient villain for an ex-supermodel who you wouldn't expect to have wicked martial arts skillz. She's dangerous enough to K.O. grown men with one kick, AND she held off Batman for a while using a bad-ass Scythe, and when he accidentally slipped on a piece of debris, she actually could have KILLED him. She's no powerhouse, but she's decidedly more dangerous that you'd think, especially with her three macho goons and an alarming amount of high-tech stuff (a giant robotic T-Rex? Who is she- The Riddler?). She's just an athletic woman who's above-average at fighting- even her interpersonal skills are no longer that great. When she knew how to assert herself using her supermodel-class looks, she would have easily have had Attractive 2, and been rather dominant in social situations, especially towards men. Currently, she's stuck in a freaky mask that hides her true beauty.

About the Performer: The casting of Sela Ward as Calendar Girl is deliberately fitting- like Paige Munroe, Sela had a once-thriving career stalled by the process of aging. Ageism CONTINUES to be a major issue in Hollywood, as men can get as old as can be and still be cast in lead roles, while women are washed up at thirty. Anne Hathaway, once a HUGE mega-star, is now basically hurting for roles, having hit her thirties- when she points this out, she adds that "I can't really complain, because *I* was the one who took the roles from women in THEIR thirties when I debuted!"

-Problematically, Sela was primarily known for her beauty (she has that "dark-featured brunette" look going on, with the longer, more stately face), so when she hit her- UGH- late thirties, she was immediately dropped for the new generation of beauties, despite, well, STILL BEING ATTRACTIVE. Hollywood Producers are weird sorts, and generally disregard anything that's not young and skinny (and thus naive and probably willing to sleep around to get ahead). A model in the '80s, she had a breakrthrough role on the NBC drama "Sisters" (1991-96), actually winning an Emmy in 1994. In 1993, she played the wife in the huge hit "The Fugitive"- the future looked bright... but then the aging stuff happened. In 1995, she was famously told by the "James Bond" casting directors "What we really want is Sela, but Sela ten years ago" (the actress was 39; Pierce Brosnan, the current Bond at the time, was 42). A double-whammy started happening, because she was "too old" for Romantic Leads, but "too beautiful" to play ordinary people- ultimately, she landed the role in "Once and Again" of a single woman dating a much younger man (HELLLLLLLLLLL YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS). She still finds work off and on, generally playing up the "attractive older woman" thing (like in "House" for a year; she also turned down the role of Susan on "Desperate Housewives", the show that reignited Teri Hatcher's career... for a few months).
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Giant robotic T-rex, huh? I assume that's a reference to the giant animatronic T-rex that is sometimes seen in the Batcave in the comics and other adaptations.