Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

The Beyonder

Post by Jabroniville »

THE BEYONDER (The One From Beyond)
Created By:
Jim Shooter & Mike Zeck
First Appearance: Secret Wars #1 (May 1984)
Role: Cosmic Gamesman
PL 26 (1,102)
STRENGTH
20 STAMINA -- AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 20 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Deception 8 (+13)
Expertise (Science) 10 (+30)
Expertise (Space Travellier) 10 (+30)
Intimidation 12 (+17)
Investigation 2 (+4)
Perception 14 (+16)
Persuasion 2 (+7)
Technology 10 (+30)

Advantages:
Diehard, Eidetic Memory, Fascinate (Intimidation), Fearless, Improved Critical (Cosmic Blasts) 4, Improved Smash, Jack-of-All-Trades, Last Stand, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 9, Ritualist, Startle, Trance, Ultimate Science Skill, Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Immortal Entity"
Regeneration 14 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [15]
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 34 (Extras: Impervious 35) [69]
Features 1: May Spend 2 Hero Points and get to Double Area Effects (ie. 4,000ft. Bursts) [1]

"Cosmic Force"
Flight 20 (2,000,000 mph) (40) -- [41]
AE: Speed 20 (2,000,000 mph) (20)
Quickness 20 [20]
Movement 3 (Space Travel 3) (Extras: Instantaneous) [9]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Space) [2]
Senses 7 (Detect Energy- Ranged 4, Acute, Analytical) [7]
"Knows All Languages" Comprehend 4 (Languages 4) [8]
"Cosmic Sight" Senses 11 (Extended Vision 8- 1 billion miles, Microvision, Analytical Vision) [11]
"All-Seeing" Remote Sensing 31 (Visual, Hearing) (8,192,000,000 miles) (Feats: Dynamic, Dimensional, Subtle) (Extras: Simultaneous) [127]

"Variable Size"
Elongation 10 [10]
Features 5: Increased Mass 5 [5]

"Wields the Power Cosmic"
"Titanic Damage I" Damage 18 (Extras: Area- 8,388,608,000 trillion miles Burst +51, Penetrating 10) (496) -- [532]
  • AE: "Titanic Damage II" Damage 18 (Extras: Area- 8,388,608,000 trillion miles Line +51, Penetrating 10) (496)
  • AE: "Titanic Damage III" Damage 18 (Extras: Area- 16,777,216,000 trillion miles Cone +51, Penetrating 10) (496)
  • Dynamic AE: "Cosmic Stream" Damage 26 (Feats: Dynamic, Variable 2- Any Energy) (Extras: Area- 2,000ft. Line +7, Selective) (237)
  • Dynamic AE: "Cosmic Burst" Damage 26 (Feats: Dynamic, Variable 2- Any Energy) (Extras: Area- 2,000ft. Burst +7, Selective) (237)
  • Dynamic AE: "Cosmic Wave" Damage 26 (Feats: Dynamic, Variable 2- Any Energy) (Extras: Area- 4,000ft. Cone +7, Selective) (237)
  • Dynamic AE: "Cosmic Blast" Blast 34 (Feats: Dynamic, Variable 2- Any Energy, Extended Range 6, Indirect 4, Penetrating 14) (83)
  • Dynamic AE: "All-Reaching Blast" Blast 26 (Feats: Dynamic, Variable 2- Any Energy, Indirect, Penetrating 14) (Extras: Perception Range) (81)
  • Dynamic AE: Force Field +0 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Affects Others 20, Impervious 23) (43)
  • Dynamic AE: Healing 20 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Ranged, Restorative, Resurrection, Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Limited to Others) (121)
  • Dynamic AE: Mind-Reading 24 (Feats: Dynamic, Subtle) (Extras: Sensory Link, Effortless) (98)
  • Dynamic AE: Communication (Mental) 5 (Feats: Dynamic, Subtle, Dimensional) (Extras: Area, Selective) (33)
  • Dynamic AE: Concealment 10 (All Senses) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Affects Others, Ranged) (41)
  • Dynamic AE: "Remove Powers" Affliction 17 (Fort; Impaired/Disabled/Transformed to Powerless) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Perception Range +2) (52)
  • AE: "Extreme Mind Control" Mind Control 16 (Extras: Area- 16,000 miles +23) (Flaws: Touch Range -2) (352)
  • AE: "Brainwashing" Affliction 18 (Will; Dazed/Compelled/Transformed Thoughts & Memories) (Extras: Perception Range +2, Progressive +2) (90)
  • AE: "Create Worlds" Create 25 (Feats: Innate, Precise, Increased Mass 20) (Extras: Movable, Continuous) (121)
  • AE: "Capable of Nearly Any Effect" Variable (Cosmic) 30 (210)
  • AE: "Restructure Reality" Transform 25 (Anything to Anything) (Feats: Increased Mass 30- Planets) (Extras: Continuous) (180)
  • AE: Teleport 20 (Feats: Increased Mass 10) (Extras: Extended, Accurate) (90)
  • AE: Movement 9 (Dimensional Travel 3, Time Travel 3, Space Travel 3) (Feats: Increased Mass 5) (Extras: Attack 20, Area- 500ft. Burst +5 on 20 Ranks) (23)
  • AE: "Move The Stars Themselves" Move Object 40 (262,144,000,000 tons) (Extras: Perception Range) (120)
  • AE: "Teleport Others" Teleport 20 (Feats: Increased Mass 5) (Extras: Attack, Ranged) (85)
  • AE: "Drain Energy" Affliction 20 (Will; Impaired/Disabled/Transformed to Powerless) (Extras: Perception Ranged +2) (Flaws: Limited to Energy Powers) (40)
  • AE: "Sense Energy" Senses 22 (Detect Energy- Ranged 17- 1,600 trillion miles, Acute & Analytical, Tracking) (22)
  • AE: "Sense Life" Senses 22 (Detect Life- Ranged 17- 1,600 trillion miles, Tracking) (22)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+20 Damage, DC 35)
Cosmic Blast +14 (+34 Ranged Damage, DC 49)
Cosmic Waves +24 Area (+24 Damage, DC 39)
Remove Powers +17 Area (+17 Affliction, DC 27)
Mind-Reading -- (+20 Mind-Reading, DC 30)
Mind Control +16 Area (+16 Affliction, DC 26)
Portals +20 (+20 Movement Attack, DC 30)
Drain Energy -- (+20 Perception Ranged Affliction, DC 30)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +30 (+18 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will +22

Complications:
Responsibility (Discovering The Nature of Life)- The Beyonder is still a relative infant on the Cosmic Scene, and desires to know more about heroism, villainy and more. He constructed a Battleworld and forced heroes and villains to fight each other, then travelled to Earth to discover what it meant to be human.
Responsibility (Capricious and Unknowing)- The Beyonder's ignorance of human nature means that he is unable to do simple things, or comprehend the actions of others. He mistook Magneto's unselfish motivations for actual heroism and included him among the "Super-Heroes" during the Secret Wars, had to be shown how to use the bathroom by Spider-Man, and killed & resurrected the New Mutant kids on a whim, failing to realize what this would do to their psyches.

Total: Abilities: 112 / Skills: 68--34 / Advantages: 40 / Powers: 887 / Defenses: 29 (1,102)

-Secret Wars kind of gets a bad rap these days, but honestly it's the kind of "Simple Dumb Fun Fights" stuff that I kind of miss from comics. Sure, some of the dialogue is a bit weird (Johnny Storm: "Babe, I'll tumble 4 ya any day!", She Hulk: "To the max!"), the concept is pretty simplistic, and the X-Men looked like crap. And sure Jim Shooter put only the artists who were having trouble getting work on it, so the art is kind of hit or miss at times. But Hell, almost every single heroic character (except most of the X-Men) had at least ONE major "Bad-Ass Moment" to their name- Colossus schooled the Wrecking Crew, Spider-Man kicked the living crap out of Titania (AND the entire X-Men all at once!), The Wasp schooled the X-Men, Wolverine took off Absorbing Man's arm, Molecule Man threw a MOUNTAIN RANGE at somebody, The Hulk saved the team from billions of tons of rock, Human Torch took out Ultron, Doom took out GALACTUS AND THE BEYONDER, etc. It's basically a young comic book fan's wet dream. Jim Shooter had some funny dialogue, but he still to this day defends the book, and lets everyone who mocks it know his take. He admits to a lot of past mistakes and indiscretions, but he'll back this one up, that's for sure. The sales sure did back him up.

-The Beyonder debuts as the Cosmic Gamesman behind Secret Wars, teleporting several heroes and villains to "Battleworld" (comprised of pieces of multiple planets), demanding that they fight for him. He gives no hints about his wants or needs, but establishes his power immediately- he literally WIPES A GALAXY FROM THE SKY on a whim, then handily one-shots Galactus when the Devourer of Worlds demands that the "One From Beyond" cure his hunger. His origins mysterious, this Beyonder has his power stolen by a cosmically-powered Doom, who uses it to fight the heroes, but ultimately he gets his powers back. We would eventually learn that his power came from the totality of a universe "Beyond".

-For all the good will Secret Wars may have gained... Secret Wars II lost it. Coming out on the heels of the first (owing to its MASSIVE sales), this is the book that killed Shooter's mystique as a writer for good, as it was meandernig, pointless, and incredibly boring. His Beyonder got a ridiculous redesign, wearing "modern" (ie. horrendously dated to our eyes) clothing and decided to pull a "learn to be human" schtick, which is always death. He gazed at his navel, emoted about his place in the universe, and contemplated simply restarting everything on a whim. The actual series was infamously terrible, though many of the issues that crossed over with it were very well done- there's a great one where Spider-Man unknowingly fights for all humanity against a demon, and in another, Chris Claremont has the Beyonder KILL THE NEW MUTANTS AND THEN RESURRECT THEM FOR THE HELL OF IT, casually vanishing while leaving them with the memories of just what they'd suffered (one of the most screwed-up things EVER done to protagonists of a comic). He also macked on Dazzler, killed some Cosmic Beings (including Death), but is killed by the Molecule Man during a battle with most of Earth's super-heroes while messing around with his power levels using a super-machine (he was attempting to... "re-birth" himself). Very weird stuff, and it bombed HORRIBLY- fans HATED it, Shooter's rep took a beating, and he was soon gone from Marvel Comics, drummed out after an unpopular (but VERY economically-successful) run as Editor-In-Chief.

-Post-Shooter, The Beyonder really had no luck. Shooter was so hated by much of his staff that his successor, Tom DeFalco, told Steve Englehart to write the character out- sympathetic to the character, Englehart re-wrote The Beyonder's origin and nature- revealing that this energy "From Beyond" was actually an incomplete Cosmic Cube, and not really powerful enought to do most of the stuff he did anyways. Which makes the whole "Wiped a galaxy clean" and "easily defeated Galactus" stuff out of the realm of possibility, but whatever. The Beyonder is actually supposedly now LESS powerful than Celestials & Galactus (both of whom he'd effortlessly defeated before), so I don't know why they willingly jobbed to him before. This Beyonder merged with The Molecule Man, expelled him from his combined form (now a lady called Kosmos), entered into a relationship with Kubik (another sentient Cube), then went crazy and turned into The Maker, where he is defeated by the Shi'ar Imperial Guard and appears in the Kyln- an interstellar prison- and being convinced by Thanos to shut down his own mind after rampaging through the jail. Then, hilariously, The Beyonder was killed OFF-PANEL, simply appearing as a corpse in the destruction caused by the Annihilation Wave. This once vastly-important character dropped like a speed bump.

-Bizarrely, the Illuminati book Retcons the Beyonder AGAIN, showing that the Illuminati discovered that The Beyonder was actually an INHUMAN who was also a MUTANT, and this was the source of his Phenomenal Cosmic Powers. Howver, the story's end (the Beyonder is convinced to leave our solar system) hints that it may have simply been what the Beyonder WANTED the Illuminati to believe. Finally, Jonathan Hickman in his mega-Avengers arc reveals that the Beyonders, the cause of the incursions destroying the multiverse, consider the Beyonder to be a "child unit" of their own kind.

-This build represents The Beyonder as he appeared in most of the 1980s- all-powerful and extremely dangerous. He's tougher than Eternity OR Death, and could handily wipe the floor with Galactus (his first big Power Showing is naturally KOing Galactus and tossing him down to Battleworld, embarassed and humbled). Despite this, he loses a few tricks compared to a few Cosmic Beings, such as Insubstantiality, Immortality, Illusions and some Movement power (he could still naturall create some Alternate Effects or just use Variable for it anyways). He once Mind Controlled the entire Earth though, which is a hell of an Area Effect on a Control power.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds (Order & Chaos! In-Betweener! Eternity! Death!)

Post by Ares »

The idea of the Cube being used to make Cap evil would have been simple enough, but that's not what happened. Nick Spencer made it clear that what really happened was that Cap was always and a HYDRA Agent. Originally the Axis forces were going to win WWII because of Steve, so instead of creating the Atomic Bomb, America created a Cosmic Cube and used it to alter history, making Steve good. So in the modern era, all the Skull did was make Steve who he originally was. When they brought "our" Steve back, it was clear he was just an "echo" of what had been, a lie kept around because it was preferable to the truth.

Of course, everyone else realized how stupid this was, so it was immediately retconned into Hydra Cap being the fake once Spencer was done.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I'm definitely someone who will stick up for Secret Wars I, and for a real fun time, check out the Graphic Audio audiobook. It actually fixes some of the story issues and is a fun listen.

The Beyonder is a great concept, and the idea of a godlike being trying to understand humanity isn't a bad one. After all, a being that was essentially its own universe was completely content, so the idea of trying to figure out these smaller beings who have things like "desire" because they're incomplete could lead to something interesting. Unfortunately, the story drags because its mostly the Beyonder farting around, becoming frustrated and making relatively simple observations of humanity, when any half-intelligent person could have sat the Beyonder down and explained things to him.

I personally would have kept the Beyonder as a sentient universe, but have his power be limited to some extent. He would have been more powerful than Galactus and the Celestials, but actually below someone like Eternity or a wielder of the Infinity Gauntlet. The idea being that in his own dimension, the Beyonder is essentially an Infinity Gauntlet unto himself, but he can't fully enter any other universe than his own. The "white tear in existence" is the Beyonder ripping a hole in the 616 dimension and reaching through to affect things, but his reach would be limited because if he extended too far, Eternity could stop him. When the Beyonder manifests as a human, it's essentially a human-shaped avatar from that dimension that can influence the universe around it, but since it's not in its native universe it has to expend more power than normal and has less range. The Beyonder avatar could still beat up Galactus, but would be in trouble if enough cosmics opposed him.

Likewise, the Molecule Man should be powerful, but not the insane levels he was in Secret Wars II, where he was basically second powerful to Beyonder, making him more powerful than anyone else. I'd keep the idea that Owen somehow accidentally tapped into the Beyonder's universe, and some of that energy leaked into him, giving Molecule Man similar control over his environment as the Beyonder has in his own setting. I'd also invert the idea where Cosmic Cubes are actually force fields with energies taken from the Beyonder's realm, hence the tendency for the Cubes to gain sentience after enough time.

But yeah, the Beyonder was a character that was ultimately wasted due to Shooter doing another of his "cosmic being not being allowed to do good" storylines. I generally like Shooter and feel that he was generally more right than wrong, but when he messed up it tended to be obvious and ugly.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

I think that the big problem with the X-Men in Secret War I was that, by 1984, Claremont had already been writing them for almost a decade and they were developing into their own universe within the universe with its own internal logic. It's true that the biggest changes (Magneto becoming the New Mutants' teacher) and editorial interferences (like X-Factor) were still to come, but I think there was already some friction between Claremont and Shooter. For example, Cyclops wasn't with the team at the time (he was on honeymoon with Maddie Pryor) but he was an iconic part of the team so he was forcibly drafted, whereas Sue Storm wasn't.
Shooter wrote the X-Men as the outsiders of the superhuman community, which was pretty on point if you ask me, but pushed it a tad too far. I can understand Spidey attacking them after overhearing their decision to go look for Magneto (at the time Peter had a habit of jumping to conclusions), but why would Xavier mind-wipe him instead of trying to explain himself?
Ares wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 3:08 am The idea of the Cube being used to make Cap evil would have been simple enough, but that's not what happened. Nick Spencer made it clear that what really happened was that Cap was always and a HYDRA Agent. Originally the Axis forces were going to win WWII because of Steve, so instead of creating the Atomic Bomb, America created a Cosmic Cube and used it to alter history, making Steve good. So in the modern era, all the Skull did was make Steve who he originally was. When they brought "our" Steve back, it was clear he was just an "echo" of what had been, a lie kept around because it was preferable to the truth.

Of course, everyone else realized how stupid this was, so it was immediately retconned into Hydra Cap being the fake once Spencer was done.
I think that the number of reason this is completely non-sensical makes my brain hurt. Not only it retconned the creation of the first Earth-based cube to decades earlier (even more than it should, if we consider the sliding timescale), but it also meant that whoever did it was obsessed with Cap of not even thinking of using a "wish machine" to stop the war from ever starting in the first place. Even without considering the character-rape that this storyline was, such a decison made no sense outside of the context of "I want to tell this story no matter what."
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

The Beyonders

Post by Jabroniville »

THE BEYONDERS
Created By:
Mark Gruenwald & Jerry Bingham
First Appearance: Marvel Two-in-One #63 (May 1980)
Role: Cosmic Mystery Men

-The Beyonders were actually created BEFORE the singular Beyonder, but were very mysterious- they were linked to the Beyonder by Steve Englehart in Secret Wars II. They are a race of extra-dimensional beings powerful enough to collect planets, and usually traverse Earth unobserved by everyone (including The Watcher). They commissioned the formation of The Savage Land as part of a study of evolution, and are chased down by the High Evolutionary, who wants them to rescue Counter-Earth. His mind, however, is shattered by the realization of the true scope of the power of these beings, and he's forever insane afterwards. The Beyonders are later used as part of the origin story of the Cosmic Cubes- they willingly give up some of the power of their universe to empower the Cubes.

-The Beyonders were largely un-used (seriously, I had no idea they even existed until just now!) until Jon Hickman writes his huge Time Runs Out mega-story that causes a soft reboot of the Marvel Universe. Here, The Beyonders create a series of "incursions" that wipe out the multiverse, one by one. Hickman then gleefully wipes out the entire Cosmic Pantheon one after the other, with nary a hint of characterization- these beings (also called "Ivory Kings" because Hickman was being pretentious and hiding the names of everything) kill the Celestials, Lord Chaos & Master Order, the In-Betweener, Infinity, Eternity and even THE LIVING TRIBUNAL- the one being considered invincible. They were retconned into being behind the creation of the Molecule Man, meant to act as a "bomb" that could destroy his universe. Doctor Strange, Doctor Doom & the Molecule Man all confront the Beyonders, and Doom reveals his plan to have TONS of Molecule Man detonate at once, killing the Beyonders and installing Doom as "God Emperor Doom", and ruler of the sole universe, using the power of the Molecule Man for himself. Doom is thus an all-powerful God... until Owen Reese takes back the power.

-These guys... aren't really even CHARACTERS. They're just meaningless, walking Retcons meant to explain away a bunch of stuff. "Dinosaurs in the Antarctic? Beyonders". "We need a new origin for the Beyonder? Beyonders". "I want to wipe out the universe to seem really important, even though it makes all of Earth's heroes out to be giant failures? Beyonders". Hell, for all their power, and they kill EVERY COSMIC BEING IN THE MARVEL UNIVERSE... they're easily undone because Doctor Doom thought of something they didn't. It's just very weird.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds (In-Betweener! Eternity! Death! The Beyonder!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

I'm looking forward to the Power Instinct set. It's such a weird, werid series that manged to get a surprisingly large amount of entries for such a large entry. Power Instinct: Matrimelee also includes four Guest Fighters from Rage of the Dragons (the fighting game that basically is Double Dragon, but they couldn't quite say it because of legal issues), so it might be worth lumping that cast into the set, though that would make the likely already-large list of characters even bigger. (That game was even made by the same people who made Matrimelee, as well, and uses similar gameplay.)
Jabroniville

Mistress Love & Master Hate

Post by Jabroniville »

MISTRESS LOVE
Created By:
J.M. DeMatteis & Don Perlin
First Appearance: The Defenders #107 (May 1982)
Role: The Cosmic Embodiment of Love
Group Affiliations: Love & Hate
PL 20 (501)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 10 AWARENESS 10 PRESENCE 8

Skills:
Deception 10 (+18)
Expertise (Space Traveller) 16 (+26)
Expertise (Philosophy) 15 (+25)
Expertise (Cosmic Lore) 15 (+25)
Insight 14 (+24)
Perception 12 (+22)
Persuasion 10 (+20)

Advantages:
Daze (Persuasion), Diehard, Fascinate (Persuasion), Inspire, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 10

Powers:
"Cosmic Being"
Immunity 31 (Fortitude Effects, Aging) [31]
"Love Never Dies" Immortality 20 (each round) [40]
Flight 14 (32,000 mph) [28]
Movement 6 (Space Travel 3, Dimensional Travel 3) [12]
"Emotional State" Insubstantial 4 (Feats: Innate) [21]
Protection 24 (Extras: Impervious 15) [39]
"Love Takes Various Forms" Morph 4 (Any Form) [20]

"Variable Size"
Elongation 3 [3]

"Cosmic Mind"
Comprehend 4 (Languages 4) [8]
Quickness 6 (Flaws: Limited to Mental Tasks) [3]
Immunity 20 (Mental Effects) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [10]

"Love in Groups" Mind Control 14 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 4,000ft. Burst +8, Selective) (Flaws: Touch Range -2) (113) -- [124]
  • Dynamic AE: "Love's Grip" Mind Control 20 (Feats: Dynamic) (Flaws: Last 4 Ranks Limited to Love) (77)
  • Dynamic AE: Mind-Reading 20 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Effortless) (Flaws: Last 2 Ranks Limited to Emotions) Linked to Mental Communication 5 (Feats: Subtle) (Extras: Area, Selective) (84)
  • Dynamic AE: "Mental Detection" Senses 4 (Feats: Dynamic) (Mental Awareness, Radius, Extended, Acute) (5)
  • Dynamic AE: "Astral Form" Remote Sensing 20 (Visuals & Hearing) (Feats: Dynamic, Dimensional) (62)
  • AE: "Sense Life" Senses 22 (Detect Life- Ranged 17- 1,600 trillion miles, Tracking) (22)
  • AE: Teleport 20 (Feats: Increased Mass 10- 25 tons) (Extras: Extended, Accurate) (90)
  • AE: "Love Blast" Blast 20 (Feats: Penetrating 10 (50)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Mind-Reading +18-20 (DC 28-30)
Mind Control +14 Area (+14 Affliction, DC 24)
Love's Grip -- (+16-20 Perception Affliction, DC 26-30)
Love Blast +10 (+20 Ranged Damage, DC 35)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +24 (+8 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will +18

Complications:
Motivation (Love)- Mistress Love is the manifestation of all Love in the Universe- "she" traverses the cosmos to bestow her gifts upon others, or defend Love itself.
Power Loss (Immortality)- As long as their is Love, there is Mistress Love. The death of all sentient beings in the Universe would cause her to disperse. Obviously, this is rather difficult to accomplish.

Total: Abilities: 78 / Skills: 92--46 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 346 / Defenses: 16 (501)

-Mistress Love and Master Hate are the physical, cosmic embodiments of their patron emotions, love and hate, and have existed as long as emotions have. Its a pretty cool idea overall, and fills out the "outer" Cosmic Beings with characters that have a concrete purpose beyond just being vague or super-powerful. It's esoteric and a bit fitting, really. Mistress Love actually debuted YEARS earlier, appearing before Amora (The Enchantress), testing the depths of her feelings for Thor. Amora decided that she was unworthy of love, and sought to purify herself with the "Rose of Purity", forcing the Defenders to get it for her. Love, observing these events, realized that Amora sought "not to accept true love, but rather to possess it", and pointed out that her greed would ruin many lives. Love freed Amora's captive (Barbara "Valkyrie" Norris) and abandoned the Enchantress.

-Mistress Love thus takes a fifteen-year holiday before suddenly appearing as a backgrounder in The Infinity Gauntlet, now sporting a counterpart in Master Hate. The two, rather than being enemies, are allies, working in concert- they are still defeated by the omnipotent Thanos. This led to a handful of "Background Scenes" for Love & Hate, often acting as witnesses to Eternity whining at the Living Tribunal about the existence of the Infinity Gems.

-Later, in The Silver Surfer, a Princess Alaisa Ruantha Pethnan discoversr the Surfer, and falls for the idea of being with him. When he rebuffs her, she seeks out Mistress Love, who transforms her into "Love's Avatar". However, Alaisa's avarice extended even further, and she wanted MORE- this led to Master Hate appearing, who suggested she FORCE the Surfer's love instead of earning it. She is eventually defeated, ending up in a virtual reality environment that tricks her into thinking she's gotten her wish. Love & Hate last appeared in another Jim Starlin tale, where Thanos gets the Heart of the Infinite and defeats multiple Cosmic Beings again.

-The characters are thus... SOMEWHAT wise, but ultimately minor backgrounders. They tend to just offer power to mortals and thus cause a quest, but are ineffectual compared to other Cosmics, lacking the raw power of Galactus or Eternity.

-Love & Hate have Energy Blasts for whatever reason, but are ultimately rather unkillable (you can't just stamp out all Love in the Universe- even with all the Emo music in the world, Love will persist), comprised of sentient emotion (and thus Immune to Fortitude Effects), you can't even really HIT them (Insubstantial), and they can alter your emotions basically at-will (I went with 4,000 feet as a basic Burst, but it could concievably be Planet-wide if necessary). PL 20 super-beings that are nonetheless not much of a match for other Cosmic Beings by virtue of their limited focus (most high-end Cosmics are Half-Immune to Mental Powers) and relatively-low-tier damage.

MASTER HATE
Created By:
Jim Starlin & George Perez
First Appearance: The Infinity Gauntlet #3 (Sept. 1992)
Role: The Cosmic Embodiment of Hate
Group Affiliations: Love & Hate
PL 20 (478)
STRENGTH
16 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 10 AWARENESS 10 PRESENCE 8

Skills:
Deception 10 (+18)
Expertise (Space Traveller) 16 (+26)
Expertise (Philosophy) 15 (+25)
Expertise (Cosmic Lore) 15 (+25)
Insight 14 (+24)
Perception 12 (+22)
Persuasion 10 (+20)

Advantages:
Daze (Persuasion), Diehard, Fascinate (Persuasion), Inspire, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 10

Powers:
"Cosmic Being"
Immunity 31 (Fortitude Effects, Aging) [31]
"Hatred Is Eternal" Immortality 20 (each round) [40]
Flight 14 (32,000 mph) [28]
Movement 6 (Space Travel 3, Dimensional Travel 3) [12]
"Emotional State" Insubstantial 4 (Feats: Innate) [21]
Protection 24 (Extras: Impervious 15) [39]
"Love Takes Various Forms" Morph 4 (Any Form) [20]

"Variable Size"
Elongation 3 [3]

"Cosmic Mind"
Comprehend 4 (Languages 4) [8]
Quickness 6 (Flaws: Limited to Mental Tasks) [3]
Immunity 20 (Mental Effects) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [10]

"Hate in Groups" Mind Control 14 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 4,000ft. Burst +8, Selective) (Flaws: Touch Range -2) (113) -- [124]
  • Dynamic AE: "Hate's Grip" Mind Control 20 (Feats: Dynamic) (Flaws: Last 4 Ranks Limited to Hate) (77)
  • Dynamic AE: Mind-Reading 20 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Effortless) (Flaws: Last 2 Ranks Limited to Emotions) Linked to Mental Communication 5 (Feats: Subtle) (Extras: Area, Selective) (84)
  • Dynamic AE: "Mental Detection" Senses 4 (Feats: Dynamic) (Mental Awareness, Radius, Extended, Acute) (5)
  • Dynamic AE: "Astral Form" Remote Sensing 20 (Visuals & Hearing) (Feats: Dynamic, Dimensional) (62)
  • AE: Teleport 20 (Feats: Increased Mass 10- 25 tons) (Extras: Extended, Accurate) (90)
  • AE: "Hateful Blast" Blast 20 (Feats: Penetrating 10 (50)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+16 Damage, DC 31)
Mind-Reading +18-20 (DC 28-30)
Mind Control +14 Area (+14 Affliction, DC 24)
Hate's Grip -- (+16-20 Perception Affliction, DC 26-30)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +24 (+8 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will +18

Complications:
Motivation (Hate)- Master Hate is the manifestation of all Hate in the Universe- "he" traverses the cosmos to bestow his gifts upon others, and promote hatred throughout the Universe.
Power Loss (Immortality)- As long as their is Hate, there is Master Hate. The death of all sentient beings in the Universe would cause him (or her) to disperse. Obviously, this is rather difficult to accomplish.

Total: Abilities: 90 / Skills: 92--46 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 346 / Defenses: 16 (505)

-Master Hate appeared alongside Mistress Love FAR later, in The Infinity Gauntlet, basically being Love's counterpart and ally. There, Hate was looking sorta like a homely woman, but later shifted to more masculine forms, manipulating someone who'd already become Love's Avatar into taking the power of HATE as well, acting somewhat like a "Devil on the Shoulder".
-Hate is basically a scarier version of Love, sharing numerous stats.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Nightmare and D’Spayre

Post by Jabroniville »

NIGHTMARE & D'SPAYRE:
-If you were reading comics in the early 1990s, then chances are, you came across at least one "Nightmare and D'Spayre" story. It seemed like at least once a month, SOMEBODY's comic would feature these two manipulating their dreams and trying to take hold of their soul. Every story was ultimately identical: generally, the pair threatens a hero in their dreams, tries to terrify them using innermost thoughts & junk, and the hero eventually takes control, goes all "Kill Freddie Krueger" on him, and wakes up, having successfully confronted his inner demons. The duo were sorta like Arcade in that they're more of a way to get the hero to do some cool, unique stuff in a different place than anything else, as a bit of a throwaway gimmick.
Jabroniville

D’Spayre

Post by Jabroniville »

D'SPAYRE
Created By:
Chris Claremont & John Byrne
First Appearance: Marvel Team-Up #68 (April 1978)
Role: Fear Monster, Manipulator
Group Affiliations: The Fear Lords
PL 13 (251)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA 12 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Deception 7 (+12)
Expertise (Psychology) 9 (+14)
Expertise (Arcane Lore) 9 (+14)
Insight 7 (+11)
Intimidation 10 (+15)
Perception 7 (+11)
Persuasion 7 (+14)
Stealth 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Daze (Intimidation), Fascinate (Intimidation), Ranged Attack 5, Ritualist, Startle

Powers:
"Immortal Entity"
Immunity 12 (Aging, Life Support, Sleep) [12]
"Levitation" Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]

Illusions (All Senses) 11 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Selective) (Flaws: Resistible By Will) (56) -- [62]
Dynamic AE: "Instill Fear" Affliction 13 (Will; Entranced & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless/Paralyzed) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- Auditory Perception, Cumulative) (40)
Dynamic AE: "Telepathy" Mind Reading 14 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Effortless) (Flaws: Limited to Fears) (29)
  • AE: Movement 2 (Dimensional Travel 2) (4)
  • AE: Teleport 10 (Extras: Extended, Accurate) (40)
Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Instill Fear +13 Area (+13 Affliction, DC 23)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +12, Fortitude +13, Will +12

Complications:
Motivation (Power)
Vulnerable/Weakness (Lack of Sustenance)- D'Spayre draws physical sustenance from the fear & despair of others- it's like food to him. He will weaken greatly without others feeling despair.

Total: Abilities: 106 / Skills: 60--30 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 86 / Defenses: 20 (251)

-D'Spayre was the cooler half of a recurring duo in the comics of the '90s, alongside Nightmare. They tended to manipulate heroes in tandem, but initially, D'Spayre was a solo act, fighting The Giant-Size Man-Thing (hee hee) and Spider-Man. It was a pretty cool story, with D'Spayre repeatedly torturing Spidey with his "Fear Touch", making him cower, bawl his eyes out, and writhe in agony... until he recovered. You wanna see a pissed-off Spider-Man? Watch him break the Fear Touch, charge D'Spayre, and pound him into a quivering mass of jelly, SCREAMING about what a violation that was. Man-Thing's ally Jennifer Kale had to stay his hand and prevent an out-and-out murder. Lesson: Don't **** With Spider-Man.

-D'Spayre was created by the Dweller in Darkness, who wished to have an agent on Earth. He slaughtered an Atlantean sorcerer, and fought the man's student, Dakimh the Enchanter, for centuries. Capturing Dakimh and his pupil, Jennifer Kale, D'Spayre is undone by Spider-Man and the Man-Thing. Later, he threatens Cyclops & Lee Forrester, but Cyke uses the memory of Jean Grey (then deceased) to fend off D'Spayre's illusions. He then becomes a recurring Doctor Strange foe, taunting him over his separation from Clea.

-Eventually, he and Nightmare join up with the Fear Lords and try to take over the world, but are beaten after D'Spayre reveals his true goal- to create so much fear that despair reigns instead, becoming more powerful. After this, he becomes a recurring threat with Nightmare. Much later, he's revealed to be the source behind the powers of Cloak & Dagger, giving them portions of his soul (the Dark and Light Forms). Recently, he attempted to use a Cosmic Cube to capitalize on the mass despair from Captain America's death following Civil War, but the Cube absorbed people's desire to see Cap again, pulling the Invaders from the 1940s to the present day, where they and the Avengers teamed up to beat D'Spayre.

-D'Spayre is PL 13, but lacks the raw physical power to beat the snot out of heroes. He's actually a GOOD deal less powerful than Nightmare (which is odd to me, given how they were partnered up in a few stories I read- not one being the minion of the other), able to be defeated through fisticuffs. As such, he's got a small degree of magical might and that's it- a wide-range Fear Effect (the deaf Echo was able to handily avoid it, as it's Perception that affects those with hearing), Teleportation, Fear-Reading, and Illusions.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: D’Spayre

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:43 am
-D'Spayre was the cooler half of a recurring duo in the comics of the '90s, alongside Nightmare. They tended to manipulate heroes in tandem, but initially, D'Spayre was a solo act, fighting The Giant-Size Man-Thing (hee hee) and Spider-Man. It was a pretty cool story, with D'Spayre repeatedly torturing Spidey with his "Fear Touch", making him cower, bawl his eyes out, and writhe in agony... until he recovered. You wanna see a pissed-off Spider-Man? Watch him break the Fear Touch, charge D'Spayre, and pound him into a quivering mass of jelly, SCREAMING about what a violation that was. Man-Thing's ally Jennifer Kale had to stay his hand and prevent an out-and-out murder. Lesson: Don't **** With Spider-Man.

Jabroniville

Nightmare

Post by Jabroniville »

NIGHTMARE
Created By:
Stan Lee & Steve Ditko
First Appearance: Strange Tales #110 (July 1963)
Role: Super Demon, Master of Nightmares, Mephisto Lite
Group Affiliations: The Fear Lords
PL 16 (414)
STRENGTH
15/17 STAMINA 15/17 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 9 AWARENESS 6 PRESENCE 7

Skills:
Deception 8 (+15)
Expertise (Psychology) 11 (+20)
Expertise (Arcane Lore) 10 (+19)
Insight 6 (+13)
Intimidation 15 (+22)
Perception 7 (+13)
Persuasion 7 (+14)
Stealth 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Benefit 7 (King of The Nightmare Dimension Everinnye), Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Fascinate (Intimidation), Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Magic) 2, Improved Hold, Last Stand, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 7, Ritualist, Startle, Well-Informed

Powers:
"Immortal Entity"
Regeneration 6 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [7]
Immunity 12 (Aging, Life Support, Sleep) [12]
Immortality 3 (1 week) [6]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Impervious Toughness 13 [13]
Flight 7 (250 mph) [14]
Senses 6 (Detect Magic- Ranged, Acute, Analytical, Counters Illusion) [6]
"Master of Tongues" Comprehend 4 (Languages 4) [8]

"Variable Size"
Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (8 feet) [4]
Growth +10 (+12 Mass, +6 Intimidation, -6 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -12 Stealth) -- (48 feet) (Flaws: Limited to Non-STR & STA Boosts) [10]

"Demonic Might: Within His Own Dimension"
Illusion (All Senses) 14 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area +2, Selective) (Flaws: Limited to Within Everinnye) (99) -- [116]
  • Dynamic AE: Magical Blast 16 (Feats: Dynamic) (Flaws: Limited to Within Everinnye) (17)
  • Dynamic AE: Teleport 15 (Feats: Dynamic, Increased Mass 5) (Extras: Extended, Accurate) (Flaws: Limited to Within Everinnye) (51)
  • Dynamic AE: Move Object 14 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Perception Range) (Flaws: Limited to Within Everinnye) (29)
  • AE: "Nightmare Burst" Affliction 16 (Will; Entranced/Stunned/Paralyzed) (Extras: Area- 250ft. Burst +4) (Flaws: Limited to Within Everinnye) (64)
  • AE: "Nightmare Casting" Affliction 16 (Will; Entranced/Stunned/Paralyzed) (Extras: Perception Range +2, Cumulative) (Flaws: Limited to Within Everinnye) (48)
  • AE: "Alter Home Dimension" Transform (Anything to Anything) 14 (Extras: Continuous) (Flaws: Limited to Within Everinnye) (70)
  • AE: "Capable of Nearly Any Effect" Variable (Magical) 12 (Flaws: Limited to Within Everinnye) (72)
  • AE: Create 14 (Feats: Innate, Precise) (Extras: Movable) (Flaws: Limited to Within Everinnye) (30)
"Demonic Might- Useable Anywhere"
Dynamic AE: Insubstantial 4 (Feats: Subtle 2, Precise) (23)
  • AE: "Send to the Nightmare Realm" Movement 1 (Dimensional Travel- Everinnye) (Extras: Attack 12, Perception Range +2) (Flaws: Limited to Dreaming Victims) (37)
  • AE: Movement 3 (Dimensional Travel 3) (Feats: Increased Mass 5) (11)
  • AE: Mind Reading 16 (Extras: Effortless) (Flaws: Limited to Dreams) (32)
  • AE: Remote Sensing 24 (Visual, Hearing) (64,000 miles) (Feats: Dimensional, Subtle) (74)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+15 Damage, DC 30)
Growth +10 (+17 Damage, DC 32)
Blast +12 (+16 Ranged Damage, DC 31)
Nightmare Burst +16 Area (+16 Affliction, DC 26)
Nightmare Casting -- (+16 Perception Ranged Affliction, DC 26)
Dimensional Attack +15 (+15 Movement Attack, DC 25)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +15 (+17 Growth, +8 Impervious), Fortitude +15 (+17 Growth), Will +13

Complications:
Motivation (Nightmare Power)- Nightmare craves the bad dreams and fears of sentient beings. Without them, he would lose all power and fade away (and with more, he can conquer the universe); but without HIM, humanity would go insane.
Power Loss (Nightmare Realm Travel Attack)- When Nightmare's victims overcome his powerful illusions and abilities within his home dimension, he loses power over them, and they generally immediately awaken in the "real world", none the worse for wear.

Total: Abilities: 138 / Skills: 68--34 / Advantages: 27 / Powers: 198 / Defenses: 17 (414)

-Nightmare is a guy I never really liked in the comics- his tall, lanky appearance, green tights, and white face doesn't exactly inspire fear in my- I thought his buddy & partner D'Spayre was infinitely more cool. Nightmare is mostly a Dr. Strange nemesis at first, repeatedlty encountering the Doctor in his journeys. He rules the "Dream Dimension", where nightmares come from, and always seeks more power through fear. He was apparently going to be the father of the X-Man Nightcrawler- Chris Claremont was pushing for this to be Kurt Wagner's familial relation, only to be knocked down by then-Dr. Strange editor Roger Stern (can you imagine the DOCTOR STRANGE Editor having veto power over the X-Men writer today?), who didn't want his villain co-opted by another writer's book. Nowadays, Nightcrawler fans are probably like "If ONLY they'd made NIGHTMARE Nightcrawler's father, instead of the crap we got instead with the Demon Lord CHUCK AUSTEN came up with!" This would've given Nightmare some cred in this era, but otherwise, he's just a casual recurring Semi-Cosmic Nuisance, effectively Arcade on a grander scale.

-Nightmare, of course, was more known to be for appearing countless times in the '90s, threatening some hero or another in their dreams. He and other Fear Lords once banded together, but Dr. Strange tricked him into competing with the rival Dweller-In-Darkness, unseating both of them. His daughter is the Dreamqueen who threatened Alpha Flight, and he once claimed to have raped Betty Banner in her sleep, producing his benevolent daughter Daydream, but the Hulk temporarily killed him upon hearing that. Upon the 2000s, the character only rarely appears, again as a one-off threat- he threatens Hercules's "God Squad" during Secret Invasion, demanding payment for safe passage through his realm, and is later revealed to be the father of Trauma from The Initiative.

-Nightmare has some Mephisto-type abilities, a ton of powers only useable in his home dimension, and more. He's a bit unique in that he can teleport sleeping victims to his Nightmare Realm (a Movement Attack), which is sort of an explanation for how he takes dreaming subjects into his world- he's not ACTUALLY physically taking them there, but the overall effect (they're in a world that he can control) is the same. Once they're in Everinnye, Nightmare can use Variable Power, Teleportation, Create Object, Transform Objects and more to mess with guy's heads, screw up their brains with living nightmares, and cast powerful Illusions. Effectively the whole shebang adds up to "he can control EVERYTHING in his entire realm". He's PL 16, as I've seen guys like Hercules just run up and punch him in the face to do damage (I don't see him at Skyfather level, but he can be tough), but usually he stands as an observer, letting his Minions do the dirty work, while he gains power from the heroes' fear. Really, a Nightmare-themed campaign/adventurer is more of a Battle Against Your Own Fears than a real fight against Nightmare himself, so his stats could be almost anything.

-There are actually a LOT of Fear Lords out there, many of whom are around this powerful or more, depending on whether or not their schemes have worked- Nightmare can even do random stuff and end up with power within our own world (such as when he feeds off the fear of Gods). Some, such as the Dweller in the Darkness (basically a gigantic Cthulhu rip-off- thank Goodness for Public Domain), are nearly Elder Gods (PL 18-19), while The Lurking Unknown can vary greatly in size and power after causing fear (merely beating him in a contest of wills makes him shrink and lose strength) and is around Nightmare's level as well. The Straw-Man is weaker than the others, but is actually a GOOD Fear Lord- he is the Lord of Delightful Fear, the kind you get from scary stories and movies.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sidious

Re: Jab’s Builds (The Beyonder! Love & Hate! Nightmare & D’Spayre!)

Post by Sidious »

I love Cosmic Cubes. I see them as infant Beyonders / Ivory Kings.

In my head I've written out a story where they (Kubik, Shaper, Beyonder) are opposing the Ivory Kings during "Time Runs Out" and loosing. So to survive they retcon'd themselves backwards in time (Ivory Kings are LINEAR beings and cannot time travel, or haven't learned how to) becoming Blue Marvel (Shaper), Sentry (Beyonder, the crazy stuff matches), and Kubik hasn't been seen yet.
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

Ares wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 3:08 am Of course, everyone else realized how stupid this was, so it was immediately retconned into Hydra Cap being the fake once Spencer was done.
How did that happen? I was pretty sure I read all the relevant issues of this, but when does it come out that good Steve Rogers is the "real" Cap? It was my understanding that that dumb-ass story was still canon, but just that nobody was really looking at it anymore.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
drkrash

Re: Jab’s Builds (The Beyonder! Love & Hate! Nightmare & D’Spayre!)

Post by drkrash »

I also mentioned this a bunch of pages back, but the TV version of Cloak and Dagger has not only made an interesting version of Malice, but now they are making a pretty creepy version of D'Spayre.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

drkrash wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:42 pm
Ares wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 3:08 am Of course, everyone else realized how stupid this was, so it was immediately retconned into Hydra Cap being the fake once Spencer was done.
How did that happen? I was pretty sure I read all the relevant issues of this, but when does it come out that good Steve Rogers is the "real" Cap? It was my understanding that that dumb-ass story was still canon, but just that nobody was really looking at it anymore.
The latest Avengers run seems to be trying to sweep the whole Hydra Cap thing under the table, implying that the "same old Cap" was the original.