Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds (Bryan Fury! Azazel! ThunderCats- HOOOOOOOOOO!!!)

Post by Ares »

KorokoMystia wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:39 pm The multiple mentions of Ghostbusters got me thinking..There's probably multiple builds of the original Ghostbusters team out there (though Real Ghostbusters would be a fun set), but then there's Filmation Ghostbusters and Extreme Ghostbusters (which is the one that I actually grew up watching on TV, oddly enough), both of which I doubt anyone ever bothered to stat.
Part of it is likely how the Filmation Ghostbusters is seen as a generally inferior cashgrab, which it was for the most part. Extreme Ghostbusters definitely has its fans and had some fun concepts, but it was generally not as well received. The really excellent IDW Ghostbusters comic actually incorporated the excellent 2009 Ghostbusters game and Kylie Griffin from Extreme Ghostbusters into the film-verses continuity.
And one thing that's always got me curious is how to properly stat a Proton Pack. Maybe something like Shapeable Area Snare (that affects insubstantial and probably only works on ghosts/supernatural beings) linked to a Shapeable Damage Effect? (since the proton beams generally did a LOT of collateral damage)
Based on the lore, a Proton Pack is a focused energy beam that can do real damage to matter, but when it strikes a ghost, it causes the ghost to bleed off some of its PKE energy, holding it in place and gradually weakening it until it can be dragged over a trap, which can contain it until it's put in a Ghost Trap.

Based off of that, I'd say a Proton Pack would be a Move Object with the Damage and Affects Insubstantial bonus. I'd probably throw in a custom -1 Limit that the blasts can only move non-ectoplasmic/supernatural matter away from the Ghostbusters. So they can zap ghostly stuff and move it around to get it near a trap, but the target can resist it like it was a grapple, and they can only blast normal matter away from them.

Maybe also Link the Move Object to a Weaken power that affect ecto-plasmic/supernatural creatures, so that the longer the beam is maintained, the weaker the creature becomes, the easier it is to trap.
And man, I remember hearing about the Q5 debacle with Real Ghostbusters in a youtube video. Not only did they attempt to "fix" a show that didn't need "fixing" in the first place, but apparently all their "studies" about what chlidren liked was apparently completely made up and they hadn't actually done any studies into it, so they were just doing stuff without any real basis behind it.
Oh yeah, I remember watching various extras and retrospectives on the Real Ghostbusters and it was clear that Q5 were complete hacks that ruined an immensely popular show. Thankfully the first season with all of the syndication episodes give over 60 episodes of good times, and some of the later episodes were actually decent. But as a whole, once Q5 got involved, the whole show took a nose dive.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
FuzzyBoots

Re: The Berserkers

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:42 pm The Members:
CAPTAIN HAMMERHEAD: The only recurring member, Hammerhead leads the team. After their deaths, he is resurrected by Mumm-Ra to occupy the cloned body of Panthro. Lion-O defeats him in this form, but the spirt enters Hammerhead's body at the end of the episode. He later returns with a new band of pirates. His key weapon is a giant metal hand, though it can throw him off-balance at times.
TOP-SPINNER: A goofy-looking guy with a round, flat head, Top-Spinner doesn't talk much, but spins rapidly, which hammers his foes.
RAM BAM: Appears after the deaths of the others. Ram Bam is a cyborg who charges people head-first using his horned helmet.
CRUNCHER: Cruncher is very strong.
Ah man... these guys are basically toys that became characters. Easy to spot the mechanical gimmicks.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Ares wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:28 pm
KorokoMystia wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:39 pm The multiple mentions of Ghostbusters got me thinking..There's probably multiple builds of the original Ghostbusters team out there (though Real Ghostbusters would be a fun set), but then there's Filmation Ghostbusters and Extreme Ghostbusters (which is the one that I actually grew up watching on TV, oddly enough), both of which I doubt anyone ever bothered to stat.
Part of it is likely how the Filmation Ghostbusters is seen as a generally inferior cashgrab, which it was for the most part. Extreme Ghostbusters definitely has its fans and had some fun concepts, but it was generally not as well received. The really excellent IDW Ghostbusters comic actually incorporated the excellent 2009 Ghostbusters game and Kylie Griffin from Extreme Ghostbusters into the film-verses continuity.
The Filmation Ghostbusters predated the classic movie and subsequent cartoons. I remember watching the live action series as a kid. It sucked, though. It just became a cash grab once the "real" Ghostbusters made the name popular.

Forrest Tucker and Larry Storch were a long time TV comedy duo. F Troop was their best work. They tried to pair Tucker up with Bob Denver in the Gilligan's Island ripoof Dusty's Trail, but it sucked too.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:22 pm
Ares wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:28 pm
The Filmation Ghostbusters predated the classic movie and subsequent cartoons. I remember watching the live action series as a kid. It sucked, though. It just became a cash grab once the "real" Ghostbusters made the name popular.

Forrest Tucker and Larry Storch were a long time TV comedy duo. F Troop was their best work. They tried to pair Tucker up with Bob Denver in the Gilligan's Island ripoof Dusty's Trail, but it sucked too.
Yeah, the live action Filmation The Ghost Busters had been a single season series in the 70s that wasn't very good or popular. The 80s Ghostbusters film hadn't realized someone else technically owned that name until they were too far into shooting, and made a deal with Filmation to let them use the name.

So when the 80s film was a hit, Filmation offered to make a show based on the film. The studio had their own ideas and turned them down, but Filmation still owned the rights to the name Ghostbusters. So they released their own show to cash in on the movies popularity. Hence why when the official film adaptation came out, they were legally allowed to use the Ghostbusters name, but were required to differentiate themselves from the already existing Filmation show.

So to make a dig at Filmation, the studio called their series The Real Ghostbusters.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

The Berbils

Post by Jabroniville »

THE RO-BEAR BERBILS:
-Wow, this isn't even clever. The Berbils are basically Eewoks, but robotic, hailing from the planet Ro-Bear, which they escaped and landed on Third Earth years ago. They help out the ThunderCats from time to time, and were in fact the beings who rescued the three NEW ThunderCats from the dying Thundera.

The Members:
RO-BEAR-BILL: The friendly leader.
RO-BEAR-BERT: The pilot.
RO-BEAR-BELLE: The chick (has a flower in one ear so you KNOW she's a girl).
RO-BEAR-BOB: No specific job, but tends to interact with the ThunderCats the most.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.latimes ... y,amp.html

Here’s an article about Q5, whom I’ve never heard of before. All the way back in 1987!
Jabroniville

Pumyra

Post by Jabroniville »

PUMYRA
Played By:
Gerrianne Raphael
Role: The Cute Girl, The Healer
PL 8 (117)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+13)
Athletics 10 (+12)
Deception 2 (+5)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 4 (+7)
Stealth 1 (+7)
Technology 2 (+4)
Treatment 10 (+12)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Defensive Roll, Equipment 2 (Cat's Tail), Improved Critical (Cat's Tail), Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 6, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

Equipment:
"Cat's Tail" Blast 5 (Diminished Range -1) (9)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Cat's Tail +10 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +15

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +7

Complications:
Power Loss (Speed)- Cheetara cannot run endlessly- running for two miles at her peak speed will exhaust her.

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 16 (117)

-Pumyra was the new girl added when new ThunderCats showed up, but typical to girls in shows like this, she had "feminine" powers (Healing), "girly" weapons (a sling), and showed up the least out of everyone- she is, in fact, the most rarely-appearing ThunderCat in the series, and even stays on Third Earth with Tygra when the other Cats leave for the reborn planet New Thundera! She was a caring, youthful individual, often a bit too spirited. Oddly, she was the only ThunderCat in the show to have ROUND pupils instead of catlike slits- the alien feature that defined most of the cast as otherworldly is absent, rendering her much more cute-looking than Cheetara, who is probably more beautiful and exotic as a result. I wasn't really taken with the rest of her design, though- she comes off more "plain" than even the original ThunderCats, which is really the opposite of what you expect when shows like this add new cast members.

-Pumyra showed up in the 2011 ThunderCats series as a bit of a "Sixth Ranger", but turned out to be a "Terra" instead, betraying the ThunderCats to Mumm-Ra in a pretty weird twist. Mostly, I just remember Pamela Adlon using her exceptionally-sexy voice as the character, who starts off adversarial (having been a slave for years, and angry at the Cats), but slowly starts manipulating Lion-O into liking her. She even leans over him from behind, puts her arms around him, and in a raspy voice goes "ORDERS, My King?". Like, COME ON, LADY- that's not even fair!

-One of the less-capable fighters, Pumyra is nonetheless good with her ranged weapon, fairly hard to hit, and the best Healer out of the team, having great capability with medicinal herbs and what-not.
JDRook

Post by JDRook »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:31 pm https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.latimes ... y,amp.html

Here’s an article about Q5, whom I’ve never heard of before. All the way back in 1987!
Are they the ones who ruined the Ewoks animated series? I recalled liking their first season, but when the second season hit, the characters all had different personalities and relationships that were a lot less interesting, the color paletter was brighter and less earthy, and even the theme song had been changed.

The original sounds like Tom Waits for kids, while the newer one was definitely more upbeat and pop-y.
slade the sniper

Re: Jab’s Builds (Panthro! Cheetara! The Mutants! Pumyra!)

Post by slade the sniper »

Is Mandora going to make the cut for your write-ups?

-STS
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

slade the sniper wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:01 am Is Mandora going to make the cut for your write-ups?

-STS
i don’t know who that is, sorry.
Jabroniville

Bengali

Post by Jabroniville »

BENGALI
Played By:
Peter Newman
Role: The Recolor (of Tygra)
PL 8 (117)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+12)
Athletics 9 (+12)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Blacksmith) 9 (+12)
Investigation 1 (+4)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Technology 5 (+8)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Defensive Roll, Improved Critical (Hammer), Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"The Hammer of Thundera" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [9]
"Hammer Beam" Blast 6 (12) -- (14 points)
  • AE: Strength-Damage +2 (2)
  • AE: "Smoke Pellets" Concealment 2 (Vision) (Extras: Area- 15ft. Cloud) (6)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Hammer +10 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Hammer Blast +8 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +3 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Hot-Blooded)- Bengali is quite passionate and temperamental.

Total: Abilities: 70 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 9 / Defenses: 11 (117)

-Bengali looks SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLL YOU GUYSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Seriously, this reminds me of my youth, when I went CRAZY for anyone that was a "Recolored" version of someone else. Just the novelty of it, and how unique it looked. I loved the black costume Spider-Man, the Red Guardian (an alt of Cap), U.S. Agent, and more. I had no idea Bengali existed as a kid, but that all-white look with the powder blue is just a REALLY eye-popping design, even if they just lazily copied Tygra's entire look and recolored him. So rad.

-Bengali is the third of the new ThunderCats, and a tiger like Tygra- he's even voiced by Peter Newman, too! He's a skilled blacksmith, and a bit young, but manages to reforge the broken Sword of Omens after Tug Mug snaps it in two. Good luck buying his toy, by the way. F*ckin' thing is never less than $100 on eBay, unless it's damaged to hell. I WANT A BENGALI, DAMMIT!!
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Funnily enough, weren't the Thundercats toys made by LJN of all people? Which makes it even more bizarre that the show never got a NES game. Though maybe that's a good thing..
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Yeah, I always thought Bengali was pretty cool design wise, and his weapon being an official relic of Thundera. Making him a blacksmith was also kind of a neat touch, and at least gave him something to do.

I also really liked Pumyra's design, though she sadly had little to do given how later her introduction was and how she really didn't get to do much. Her weapon could apparently heal and harm, but her "power" was apparently that she was half as fast as Cheetarah but more than twice her stamina, so that while Cheetarah would win a short race, Pumyra would win the marathon. I found that kind of lame, honestly, and might have opted to give her greater agility, leaping and coordination, give her an even more hyper acrobatic style along with some mild superspeed, making her a sort of Spider-Man on the team.

As for Mandora, she was sort of a Saturday Morning Cartoon version of Judge Dredd, being an intergalactic peace keeper (Literally called an Evil Chaser if I remember right) who was by the book, would recite regulation, even more of a monotone delivery than the rest of the cast, etc.

Jabroniville

Re: The Berserkers

Post by Jabroniville »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:41 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:42 pm The Members:
CAPTAIN HAMMERHEAD: The only recurring member, Hammerhead leads the team. After their deaths, he is resurrected by Mumm-Ra to occupy the cloned body of Panthro. Lion-O defeats him in this form, but the spirt enters Hammerhead's body at the end of the episode. He later returns with a new band of pirates. His key weapon is a giant metal hand, though it can throw him off-balance at times.
TOP-SPINNER: A goofy-looking guy with a round, flat head, Top-Spinner doesn't talk much, but spins rapidly, which hammers his foes.
RAM BAM: Appears after the deaths of the others. Ram Bam is a cyborg who charges people head-first using his horned helmet.
CRUNCHER: Cruncher is very strong.
Ah man... these guys are basically toys that became characters. Easy to spot the mechanical gimmicks.
Hah, yeah, I think you're right, judging by the descriptions given. I had NO IDEA they made toys for all these guys. I guess it makes sense, but ThunderCats when I was a kid was a VERY limited toyline, and I'd never heard of these other characters until I started this set.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

After watching the first episode, I couldn't help but notice how Jaga's body just kinda suddenly disintergrates when he dies, only his robes being left behind..He even becomes a ghost afterwards! That feels very "Obi-Wan" to me.