Jab’s Builds! (Whomp 'Em! Plumbers Don't Wear Ties! ToeJam & Earl!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Static! Kid Devil! Kid Eternity! Danny the Street! Damian Wayne!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:35 am So getting hit with a bazooka missile at range will completely blow off one of Cyborg's legs, but sticking his hand in the bazooka and taking the blast point blank leaves Vic unharmed and takes out the bad guy?

I know DC is owned by Warner Bros, but I didn't realize actual Looney Toons physics worked.
I would assume it blew of Vic's hand as well, given what it did to his leg. But oddly, Cyborg is with the Titans a couple pages later, completely intact- so they obviously fixed the leg damage.
Ken

Re: Jab’s Builds (Static! Kid Devil! Kid Eternity! Danny the Street! Damian Wayne!)

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:38 am
Ares wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:35 am So getting hit with a bazooka missile at range will completely blow off one of Cyborg's legs, but sticking his hand in the bazooka and taking the blast point blank leaves Vic unharmed and takes out the bad guy?

I know DC is owned by Warner Bros, but I didn't realize actual Looney Toons physics worked.
I would assume it blew of Vic's hand as well, given what it did to his leg. But oddly, Cyborg is with the Titans a couple pages later, completely intact- so they obviously fixed the leg damage.
It did blow his hand off. Vic lost his leg on page 25; page 28 Bazooka's bazooka went boom. Here's page 29.

My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
SolarOracle

Post by SolarOracle »

Hey, sorry if this is derailing the thread, but I would really like to say that I really appreciate what you are doing, man. My play group recently asked me to DM Mutants and Masterminds, a system I was completely unfamiliar with, and your design diaries and builds have been helping me out a lot to better understand the game and create NPCs. Thanks a lot, man.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Huh. Cyborg will be a member of Doom Patrol in the upcoming TV series. It actually kind of makes sense.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:13 pm Huh. Cyborg will be a member of Doom Patrol in the upcoming TV series. It actually kind of makes sense.
Only if they'd included Gar in so they could maintain the same dynamic they had in the Titans.

Seriously, we have a live action Justice League, Titans and Doom Patrol, and the only team Vic isn't on is the one he's suppose to be on.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Ken wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:15 pm

It did blow his hand off. Vic lost his leg on page 25; page 28 Bazooka's bazooka went boom. Here's page 29.

Huh. For some reason, the impression I got from the description of the event was that Vic's arm was fine. Weird. I blame it on sleep deprivation.

I hope this page doesn't wind up trending online, people will either cry racism at the Mr. T comment or start using this as proof that Wally is in the closet about his bi-sexuality/homosexuality. I mean, he called another guy handsome. What more proof do they need? Not that a lack of proof stopped them before.

And it's really got to suck for characters with robotic limbs/bodies and healing factors. I've said it before, but they will always be the ones getting their limbs blown off or holes punched in their bodies just to show the degree of the threat. The new Young Justice series is especially bad for it.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Ken wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:15 pm

Reminds me of the early Ultron look back when he had Treds!
Last edited by Goldar on Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Bazooka's name seems to be a double reference, too: Since he seems to like bubble gum, it's probably a reference to to the "Bazooka" brand of gum and he somewhat resrembles Bazooka's mascot character, Bazooka Joe.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

One of the most forgotten abilities of Vic was that he could eject all his limbs and replace them with spares (which he kept all around Titans Tower).
Also most rocket lauchers include a safety feature that prevents the warhead from arming before the rocket has flown at least some distance, so Vic being able to stop the rocket by putting his hand right in front of the weapon makes at least some sense. We can assume he was pretty much stopping a blank.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:36 pm Bazooka's name seems to be a double reference, too: Since he seems to like bubble gum, it's probably a reference to to the "Bazooka" brand of gum and he somewhat resrembles Bazooka's mascot character, Bazooka Joe.
haha, great catch! His name is actually given as "Joseph" by The Monitor!

Glad everyone liked my "These Random Assholes" team-name- right up until posting, they were called "Random Titans Jobbers", but I decided to change it at the last second :).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

SolarOracle wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:29 pm Hey, sorry if this is derailing the thread, but I would really like to say that I really appreciate what you are doing, man. My play group recently asked me to DM Mutants and Masterminds, a system I was completely unfamiliar with, and your design diaries and builds have been helping me out a lot to better understand the game and create NPCs. Thanks a lot, man.
No problem! I love getting messages like this :)! Glad I could help!
Jabroniville

Slasher

Post by Jabroniville »

SLASHER (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Marv Wolfman & George Perez
First Appearance: The New Teen Titans Annual #2 (1983)
Role: Jobber Villain, One-Off Foe
Group Affiliations: None
PL 7 (87)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Criminal) 3 (+5)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)
Ranged Attack (Knives) 2 (+10)
Technology 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Knives +1, Throwing Knives- Blast 3), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Knives), Ranged Attack 4

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Knives +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Throwing Knives +10 (+3 Ranged Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 10 (87)

-Slasher is the one with finesse and skill, throwing knives and using them in close combat. She's good enough that she manages to tag Changeling by the tail of his monkey form, and when he escapes... she takes the WING off of him while he's a FLY. However, before she can take a clean shot at his human form (his shoulder now badly bleeding), she is shot through the back of the head by Adrian "Vigilante" Chase.
Jabroniville

Scorcher

Post by Jabroniville »

SCORCHER (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Marv Wolfman & George Perez
First Appearance: The New Teen Titans Annual #2 (1983)
Role: Jobber Villain, One-Off Foe
Group Affiliations: None
PL 7 (75)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 5 (+5)
Expertise (Criminal) 3 (+5)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)
Technology 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Equipment 3 (Flamethrower- Line Area Damage 7), Ranged Attack 2

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Flamethrower +7 Area (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 9 (75)

-Scorcher, as you might expect, is a generic fire-user, but one a little less... extravagant than your usual guys like Pyro (Flame Control), Heatwave (High-Tech Flame Gear & Flash Foe), or Marvel's Scorcher (elaborate Powersuit with bubble-helmet). He's... just some guy with a flamethrower. That's it. He's sufficiently nuts, though, going on about the pleasure of setting things on fire, and declaring that an unsuspecting Kid Flash is going to be lucky- "I ENVY you, kid-- you'll feel what my lovely FLAMES can do when they CARESS you.", but then he has his helmet caved in by a nunchuck-shot from the mysterious Adrian "Vigilante" Chase.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

The Adrian Chase Vigilante series wasn't a great series by any stretch, but I'll give it credit for having a definite end goal in sight after a certain point, and decided to showcase the psychological downward spiral of a man who became a crimefighter with the best of intentions, but slowly fell down into madness. Because being a violent vigilante that kills criminals requires a few things in order to keep from going crazy.

If you're the Punisher, you just embrace the fact that you're a broken individual and that the only pleasure you can have is from killing criminals.

If you're an old school Pulp hero like the Spider or Shadow, you require strict mental discipline, people to help keep you grounded, and a strict rule against killing innocent people, especially cops.

Adrian Chase tried very hard to not be the former, but couldn't live up to the latter. During one issue, in order to escape capture, Adrian killed a police officer. According to the writer, this was intentional, and from that point on, the series was always going to end with Chase realizing how unstable he had become, culminating in Chase taking his own life rather than fall even further. If anything, Adrian Chase should have been the DC's gold standard for how NOT to be a superhero, and should have been brought up every now and then to showcase why the heroes were largely against Punisher-style characters and why not everyone is cut out to be a superhero.

KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Thinking about it, this Scorcher is pretty much just Firefly. I do like the design of his suit, though (Wondering if it's fireproof, though- you'd think that' be a necessity for a flamethrower-user.). It kinda reminds me of The Fury from Metal Gear Solid 3, too, though his was a cosmonaut's suit.