Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ken

Re: Lady Punisher

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:31 am Image

Lynn Michaels was a "good cop" who turned vigilante after some busts went awry
Doesn't look awry in this pic.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
HalloweenJack

Re: Jab’s Builds (Warmonga! Kim Possible Builds Done! Lady Punisher!)

Post by HalloweenJack »

good, we have some things I actually have some knowledge of.

Kim Possible I know nothing of aside from the name itself.
Jabroniville

Zarathustra

Post by Jabroniville »

ZARATHUSTRA (Possibly Mary Elizabeth Alvarez)
Created By:
Tom Brevoort, Mike Kanterovich & Dante Bastianoni
First Appearance: Fantastic Force #2 (Dec. 1994)
Group Affiliations: The Havenites
Role: Battle Girl

-Zarathustra was a warrior-woman raised from childhood to be an assassin for Lord Moses. She ends up fighting the Fantastic Force while stealing stuff for her boss. Captured by the Force, she ends up escaping into the regular world, where she learns to appreciate the inhabitants, understanding (after saving a child who was dying in squalor, despite his mother's attempts at working multiple jobs) that the world is more shades of grey than black & white morality. A man named Paul seems to think that she is his missing sister Mary, but this was left unresolved when the series was cancelled.

-Zarathustra is a highly-skilled combatant, possibly peak-human, who uses varied weapons, blasters and more as gear, and has been known to use her ponytail to strangle people. She seemed to get paired off against Fantastic Force's Huntara quite frequently.
Jabroniville

Lava Men

Post by Jabroniville »

THE LAVA MEN
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Journey Into Myster #97 (Oct. 1963)
Role: Mindless Monsters
Group Affiliations: None
PL 5 (81)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+4)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
Impervious Toughness 3 [3]
Immunity 13 (Aging, Mind Reading, Fire & Heat Effects) [13]
Lava Aura 5 (Feats: Reach) [21]
"Volcanic Ash" Concealment 2 (Visuals) (Extras: Area- 15ft. Cloud) [6]
Features 2: Limbs May Operate Independently [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +5 (+2 Impervious), Fortitude +5, Will +0

Complications:
Responsibility (Subeterranea)

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 4--2 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 45 / Defenses: 4 (81)

-The Lava Men are the first race of beings created by the Deviants as slaves- called the Gortokians at first, they rebelled against the Deviants years ago, and formed their own community. This, of course, was revealed YEARS after their debut, right in the beginnings of the Marvel Age. Their best warrior, Molto, was manipulated by Loki into fighting Thor, but he soon came to his senses, and informed King Basallo that the surface worlders are peaceful, and no threat. They later invaded in order to save their own realm from the "Living Rock", but the Avengers got the Hulk to strike the weak point of it, and saved the day. Molto would later die, murdered by the Lava Man Jinku, who wanted power for himself. Thor and the Human Torch allied to stop him. Eventually, the Lava Men took golden form, but this proved only temporary (duh)- they haven't appeared for some time.

-Lava Men are pretty simply PL 5 Brutes, but their Auras make them a tremendous pain for most super-heroes to fight. Some can attain Giant Size, while others can use Lava as a Blast if they pray to a demon lord of theirs. When they were golden beings for a time, they could change their shapes, and even merge together (such as into a large sphere that could fly).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

HalloweenJack wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:17 pm good, we have some things I actually have some knowledge of.

This is the internet, sir. Never let lack of knowledge keep you from making a comment. ;)
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Jabroniville

Longshot

Post by Jabroniville »

"Longshot is the idea of stripping someone of everything that they are. I never read comics, so the idea of a hero to me was different. I couldn't think of it in terms of a 'super hero' hero. I thought of it more as a conceptual hero. Not having a comic book background, I tend to come up with the metaphysics before I come up with the characters. I knew that I wanted to deal with the metaphysics of luck. It was a concept that interested me...what luck is, what probability is, how you could shift probabilities towards yourself. What are the repercussions of that? So, I did a character centered around that idea"
(...)
"In a sense, what I was trying to do was strip someone down to where he had none of the crutches that we normally have. Memory, in a way, is a crutch, or your name, or what you believe you are. So, Longshot's odyssey begins with some very basic questions: Who is he? Why is he here? Ultimately, he goes on a quest for his past and finds it in search of him."
-Ann Nocenti

LONGSHOT
Created By:
Ann Nocenti & Arthur Adams
First Appearance: Longshot #1 (Sept. 1985)
Role: Uber-Eighties Character
PL 10 (189)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 7
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+14)
Expertise (Actor) 4 (+8)
Expertise (Rebel Leader) 6 (+8)
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 6 (+8)
Persuasion 3 (+7, +11 Attractive)
Ranged Combat (Throwing Blades) 4 (+15)
Sleight of Hand 6 (+10)
Technology 2 (+4)
Stealth 4 (+11)

Advantages:
Attack Specialization (Throwing Blades), Agile Feint, Defensive Roll, Diehard, Equipment 2 (Throwing Blades +2, Grappling Hook), Evasion, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 7

Powers:
"Given Powers: Luck"
Enhanced Advantages 4: Luck 2, Redirect, Uncanny Dodge [4]
"Break Fall" Movement 1 (Slow Fall) (Extras: Reaction) [3]
"Lucky Escape" Immortality 15 (2 minutes) (Extras: Affects Others) (Flaws: Limited to Circumstances of Plausible Denial) [30]
Enhanced Dodge & Parry 4 [8]
Regeneration 2 [2]

"Hollow Bones"
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

"DNA-Based Love Powers" Enhanced Advantages 2: Attractive 2 [2]

"Psychometry & Object-Reading"
Senses 8 (Precognition, Postcognition) (Flaws: Limited to Touched Objects' History) (4) -- [5]
  • AE: Mind Reading 8 (Flaws: Touch Range -2) (4)
Equipment:
"Throwing Blades" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Ranged 4) (Diminished Range -1) (5)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Blades +15 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +11

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (+15 Luck, DC 25), Parry +11 (+15 Luck, DC 25), Toughness +4 (+5 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +8

Complications:
Prejudice (Obvious Metahuman)- Longshot has three fingers and a thumb on each hand, two hearts and a one of his eyes glows when he uses his powers, making him obviously-inhuman to both the eye and an x-ray.
Power Loss (Luck)- Longshot's Luck will run out if he has negative thoughts (such as giving up hope), or tries to use his powers for selfish or evil acts. They can possibly even give him BAD luck.
Relationship (Dazzler)
Responsibility (Mojoworld Rebellion)
Enemy (Mojo)

Total: Abilities: 74 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 57 / Defenses: 19 (189)

Longshot- Ann Nocenti's Baby:
-Longshot is very notable to me, largely for his "Doom Patrol Fandom" of the 1990s, and the fact that I could never stand him, even as a kid. Years later, I would kind of figure it out- Arthur Adams typically had only two kinds of faces- a masculine, lantern-jawed face for males (the Hulk, Wolverine, etc.), and a thin, elfin face for women. Longshot, however... had the latter. So I think I may have always just considered him effeminate- delicate features, long hair and pointy ears? He was the least-manly male X-Man ever. These features, of course, made him VEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYY popular with women, which is probably why I seem to recall a letter every week in the X-Mail letters column of ever X-issue going "Please bring back Longshot!". This hype made my contrarian ass hate him all the more.

-Longshot was created by Ann Nocenti and drawn by Arthur Adams, and starred in his own Limited Series in 1985, featuring himself as a mind-wiped slave in the Mojoverse who had the power to be LUCKY- he would survive vehicular crashes, building collapses, etc., just based off of innate luck- stuff would simply fall around him. Adams gave him his iconic (and furiously dated- remember kids, never DEBUT a character with a then-trendy fashion- he will look more ridiculous than any of his contemporaries, and unlike them, he can't shake it off, as it's his ICONIC appearance) mullet based off of Limahl (the singer of The Neverending Story), wanting him to look different from the norm. He was basically the only artist at Marvel who said "yes" to the project- everyone else declined. Adams, of course, would become the most-copied artist of the '80s, himself inspiring Jim Lee and all HIS copycats in the 1990s!

The Limited Series:
-The Mojoverse is a universe where all the residents are addicted to gladatorial contests and assorted violent programming- a very "Science Fiction" kind of thing that of course holds a satirical mirror to our own society. Longshot is one such gladiator, awakening and escaping enslavement with no memory of who he is- he is, in fact, a genetic creation, born as an adult. His creator, Arize, formed a whole generation of gladiators with free will, hoping that they would rise up and depose the tyrannical ruler of the Mojoverse, a blithering idiot named Mojo. Longshot escapes to Earth and meets and falls in love with the stuntwoman Ricochet Rita, who is later mind-wiped and altered into the six-armed High-Tech Sorceress, Spiral.

Longshot the X-Man:
-Chris Claremont just fell in LOVE with the idea of Longshot, as the sick Mojoverse fit precisely his kind of sense of humor (which, as I've stated, is the one aspect of "Prime Claremont" I don't reall enjoy). And so the character immediately leapt from his Limited Series into The Uncanny X-Men, then the top book in the industry. Here, he was one of the "Outback-Era X-Men", hanging out with Punk Storm, Rogue, Wolverine, Jubilee and Dazzler, with whom he would fall in love. He'd remain on the book for three years (leaving due to an "identity crisis"), which is probably why all my 1990s comics featured "Bring Back Longshot!"- to THOSE fans, the late 1980s was the Glory Years.

Post-X-Men Longshot:
-Longshot & Dazzler only really appear once in the 1990s, for a run on Jim Lee's X-Men, where they act as freedom fighters in the Mojoverse. Here, Lee ties in the duo with Shatterstar, who was ALSO supposed to be from the Mojoverse, but a future version of it (ruled by Mojo V)- Dazzler figures that "Shatterstar" would be a good name for the child she is carrying. They also end up caring for some "X-Babies", child versions of the X-Men created by Mojo (perhaps a parody of all the Muppet Babies, Flinstone Kids & A Pup Named Scooby-Doo shows out there), but this is pretty much the ONLY time we see them in that decade, meaning that none of this ever got resolved. Dazzler later reappears on Earth, claiming that Longshot and the X-Babies are dead. Longshot reappears in a one-off, where he loses and regains his Luck Powers (which are fed by his innocence).

-Longshot would effectively disappear AGAIN until showing up on the Exiles book as one of their few Universe-616 members. He helps the Exiles defeat Proteus, and stays with them for a time, leaving when they return to 616, where Dazzler has no memory of ever meeting him. This leads to Longshot popping up on Peter David's X-Factor, which at that point was an "Isle of Misfit Toys" for X-Characters. David would hilariously reveal the TRUE relationship between Shatterstar and Longshot- Longshot isn't Shatty's father- Shatterstar is LONGSHOT's! Shatterstar had simply appeared in the sky one day, and Arize the Creator used his genetic material to create Longshot. Time-traveling X-Factor members Shatterstar & Rictor witness this, then move forward to a time when a married Longshot & Dazzler have a baby. Shatterstar then sends this baby to the future, to be raised by those who raised Shatterstar himself... then mind-wipes Longshot & Dazzler of their child. I assume it makes more sense in context.

So What is the Deal With Longshot?:
-I really don't get it, and never have. He looks more "80s" than anyone else in comics, has never changed his look, and has powers that are really more annoying than anything else. His whole "Oh I guess I just survived" thing comes off really smug and annoying. And yet... I recall him having this very vocal fanbase back in the day. From what I can gather, he was a labor of love for Ann Nocenti, but when she couldn't write the Longshot ongoing she wanted, she simply dropped the character (she used the planned villain- Mephisto- in her Daredevil run instead, where she'd create Typhoid Mary). Chris Claremont decided he loved the character for whatever reason, probably because he thought it was funny/cute with the Luck Powers and "TV-Obsessed Universe" thing, but even that only lasted a short time.

-Longshot was... a poor fit for 1990s comics. Like a lot of characters, especially Jobber Villains, pre-90s X-Men Villains and others, he just didn't have the right look or mentality (he was a cheery, nice, clueless guy who rarely meant any harm- holy CRAP was he wrong for the '90s), and so he was gone. A single Jim Lee arc and that was IT. And by the time other writers finally started using him again... we were well into the 2000s, where if you weren't in an Event Story, you weren't getting shit as far as attention went. And so all we got from him were Exiles and X-Factor runs. His big, meaningful relationship with Dazzler, which seemed to be a big factor in his existence... ultimately led nowhere, as they literally MINDWIPED everyone involved and just chose not to deal with it, and now it's so convoluted that it's not even worth trying!

Longshot's Stats:
-Longshot was easier to comprehend with the old "Probability Control" Power in 2e, but I liked the whole "Limited Immortality" thing the Power Profile of "Luck Powers" had (with the addition that he can help his teammates, too- I think at least once they had a building collapse on them, and got out a minute later). Longshot isn't SUPER-effective, but he's a solid X-Men-type build- an over-pointed PL 10, but leaning towards accuracy and defense. He's nearly impossible to hit, reasonably tough, has good reflexes, and has a bunch of weird side powers that I'd never have heard of if I didn't read his Wikipedia entry while doing this build. A complex little bugger, but he turned out okay in the end.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:51 am
HalloweenJack wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:17 pm good, we have some things I actually have some knowledge of.

This is the internet, sir. Never let lack of knowledge keep you from making a comment. ;)
That's all well and good at Youtube, but I like to think this board strives for a higher standard ;)
Jabroniville

Mojo

Post by Jabroniville »

MOJO
Created By:
Ann Nocenti & Art Adams
First Appearance: Longshot #4 (Dec. 1985)
Group Affiliations: Mojoworld
Role: The Dumbest X-Villain Ever
PL 9 (165)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 7 AGILITY -2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 5 (+9)
Expertise (Arcane Lore) 3 (+8)
Expertise (Oratory) 8 (+13)
Expertise (Network Executive) 10 (+15)
Expertise (History) 4 (+9)
Perception 2 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+9)
Technology 6 (+11)

Advantages:
Benefit 5 (Ruler of the Mojoverse), Improved Pin, Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
"Death Touch" Weaken Stamina 4 [4]
Immunity 1 (Rogue's Power Drain) [1]

"Tremendous Fat Blob"
Protection 1 [1]
Features 2: Increased Mass 2 [2]
Reach 1 [1]

"Magic" Blast 10 [20]

"Walking Platform" (Flaws: Removable) [22]
Speed 1 (4 mph) (1)
Extra Limbs 5 (4 Legs, 2 Arms, Tail) (5)
"Scorpion Tail" Blast 10 (20) -- (21)
  • AE: Damage 10 (Feats: Improved Critical, Reach 2) (12)
-- (27 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Scorpion Tail +8 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Blasts +8 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative -2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude +7, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Ratings, Power)- Mojoworld's subjects are cowed by television programming, and being the provider of such programming makes Mojo the ruler of the entire place.
Enemy (The X-Men)- Mojo uses the X-Men's adventures as his highest-rated program. Thus, he creates trouble and interference for them to get more ratings.
Power Loss (Followers' Devotion)- Mojo uses the devotion of his subjects on Mojoworld to fuel his powers. If his ratings diminish, so do his powers.
Disabled (Immobile)- As a Spineless One, Mojo is unable to move without his mobile walking platform.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 54 / Defenses: 14 (165)

-As a kid, I ALWAYS hated the Mojo stories. It was always a shining symbol that the story in question would be about the heroes engaging against goofy villains, bizarre adventures, and general mind-screwy stuff- the kind of thing that amuses writers but just bores the hell out of me. And when you're too young to get the jokes about TV executive corruption and modern society's obsession with mind-numbing entertainment, Mojo's just a sign you're about to read artsy-fartsy took-some-LSD self-indulgent stuff from Chris Claremont. The fact that he looked RIDICULOUS, a big fat yellow dude sitting on a spindly-legged robot, didn't help matters. Then there's the X-Babies, his non-threatening ways (he's SUPPOSED to be ultimate evil, but is ineffective in fights and is written to be stupid and blithering half the time), and the fact that his arch-nemesis is so brutally obviously from the 1980s that he just can't be taken seriously (the blonde mullet isn't even the worst part of him). So even today, I just can't get into Mojo stories.

-Mojo is the ruler of the Mojoverse, a Sci-Fi reflection of our modern-day, screen-obsessed society, which in the 1980s meant television. And so, Mojo acts like a grotesque parody of a TV Network executive, constantly in search of ratings and "the next big thing", which in this case, is stories about the X-Men. Mojo is unusual in that he is used FAR more often than the hero he was created to fight, showing up all over 1990s comics as an "Excuse Plot" character, much like Arcade, D'Spayre, and other "one-off" threats. Longshot, by contrast, sat out the '90s for the most part.

-Mojo attained power by controlling the means of television production, along with a slave army- his race, The Spineless Ones, care for little other than entertainment. However, he is chased away from Earth by Longshot and his rebellion. He gets revenge by transforming Longshot's girlfriend Ricochet Rita into the six-armed Spiral. Interested in the X-Men, he arranged for the blinded Psylocke to have artificial eyes which were actually cameras that transmitted the X-Men's adventures to the Mojoverse. Mojo entered into a pretty standard role- sending threats to Earth or trying to gain excitement from superheroes, and then being foiled in some way. He would always try to create Baby versions of Marvel characters, but they would constantly rebel. However, he was never overthrown until MUCH later- Longshot deposed him, but he was replaced by an upright, more human-looking Mojo II (OHHHHHH I REMEMBER that! I had forgotten all about it!), who had to be defeated as well. Mojo thus re-established the status quo.

-The character has popped up a few times recently, actually being imprisoned by X-Force after being "demoted", but then just showing up in Howard the Duck like nothing happened.

-Mojo's dangerous purely for being the dictator of an entire universe, giving him unlimited stores of minions & machines to throw against the heroes. Fighting against him is more like a battle in Murderworld, where what you see isn't necessarily what's there, there's traps everywhere, etc., etc. He has a fair bit of power himself, but is woefully inaccurate and no battlefield leader. Half his powers I haven't even seen, because most adventures featuring him don't have him throwing a punch.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tattooedman

Re: Jab’s Builds (Kim Possible Done! Lady Punisher! Longshot! Mojo!)

Post by Tattooedman »

Yeah, never been a fan of Mojo. For many of the reason Jab stated, also his appearance in the 90s X-Men cartoon (while well done & very spot on for how he is written in the comics) grated on my nerves because they gave Mojo the most annoying, high-pitched, fast paced voice I've ever heard in my life (and in all honesty made me want to stab my ears to spare myself the pain of having to hearing it anymore).
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Jabroniville

Lodestone

Post by Jabroniville »

LODESTONE (Andrea Haggard)
Created By:
Danny Fingeroth & Mike Manley
First Appearance: Darkhawk #7 (Sept. 1991)
Role: Jobber Villain, Magnetism User
Group Affiliations: The Masters of Evil
PL 8 (109)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Aerobatics 3 (+6)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+6)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Science) 3 (+4)
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 2 (+3)
Stealth 1 (+4)
Technology 3 (+4)

Advantages:
Equipment (Costume, Protection +3), Improved Aim, Improved Disarm, Improved Smash, Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Magnetic Powers"
Flight 6 (120 mph) (Quirks: Requires Metal Costume -1) [11]

"Metal Trap" Snare 9 (Quirk: Requires Metals -2) (25) -- [30]
  • AE: "Metal Throw" Blast 9 (Quirk: Requires Metals -2) (16)
  • AE: "Magnetic Lifting" Move Object 9 (Feats: Precise, Increased Mass 2- 25 tons) (Extras: Perception Range) (Flaws: Limited to Metallics -7) (23)
  • AE: "Shape Metal" Transform Metals to Metals 8 (16)
  • AE: "Iron in the Bloodstream" Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (24)
  • AE: "Metal Everywhere!" Environment 4 (Impede Movement 2) (8)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Metal Trap +7 (+9 Ranged Affliction, DC 19)
Metal Throw +7 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2 (+5 Costume), Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 41 / Defenses: 14 (109)

-Lodestone's some lady who was in Darkhawk, teaming up with a Generic Evil Crimeboss dude that was a recurring nemesis. She underwent some experimentation to get magnetic powers (how is this stuff THAT ridiculously common that even Jobbers can easily and deliberately gain super-powers? At least The Power Broker has a standard scientific process!), and harassed Chris "Darkhawk" Powell twice, acting as a bit of a recurring nemesis until that book died. Her final appearance was as a borderline non-speaking/wallpaper role on the Crimson Cowl's crappy, jobber-filled Masters of Evil team- Kurt Busiek's Thunderbolts featured an absolutely MASSIVE roster of forgotten characters in this MoE team, which worked great in terms of making it an "overwhelming threat", while also having easily-beaten goons on it.

-A relatively-powerful, but highly-limited PL 8, Lodestone falls apart defensively, and really couldn't handle anyone outside of Darkhawk's league for very long. She's basically a Mini-Magneto... a REALLY Mini-Magneto.

She's strong enough to throw piles of cars around (and can lift 200 lbs. of non-metallic stuff like people, in addition to the 25 tons of metals), but she's still a Jobby Jobber of Jobbing.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

LOL- watching The Shawshank Redemption. Recognized Lex Luthor as the evil captain immediately. That’s hilarious. Especially as he uses the same voice for the role.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Lunatik (Lobo Knock-Off)

Post by Jabroniville »

Seriously, that’s supposed to be the same guy. And Giffen CREATED him and still wrote that bit.

LUNATIK II (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Keith Giffen & Lovern Kindzierski
First Appearance: Marvel Comics Presents #172 (Jan. 1995)
Role: Shameless Lobo Rip-Off
Group Affiliations: None
PL 13 (156)
STRENGTH
16 STAMINA 14 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Expertise (Space Traveller) 4 (+3)
Expertise (Assassin) 4 (+3)
Intimidation 10 (+9)
Perception 3 (+2)
Technology 3 (+2)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Close Attack 2, Equipment 5 (Giant Space Guns), Chokehold, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Ranged Attack 6, Startle

Powers:
"600 Million Years Old" Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]
Immunity 10 (Life Support) [10]
"Progressive Mutation" Variable (Adaptations to Surroundings) 1 (Extras: Reaction +3) (Flaws: Limited to After Frequent Duration) [9]
"Mutating Immunities" Protection 4 (Flaws: Uncontrolled) [4]
Regeneration 12 (Feats: Regrows Limbs) [13]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+16 Damage, DC 31)
Space Guns +8 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +14 (+18 Immunities), Fortitude +14, Will +4

Complications:
Involuntary Transformation (Weaker)- Lunatik can apparently randomly de-power a bit, or else Drax would have never been able kill him.

Total: Abilities: 78 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 18 / Powers: 37 / Defenses: 11 (156)

-This guy just looks embarrassing- perhaps moreso because his very creator, Keith Giffen, was ripping off his OWN CREATION in making this shameless Lobo knock-off for Marvel Comics Presents (an old Anthology title notable for usually just being a second Wolverine solo book that featured three other short stories of various Marvel characters, usually from amateur writers & artists doing practice assignments). Lunatik was the sole survivor of his homeworld, having killed off his entire race and escaped on a ship sent there by the "Interstellar Church of Perpetual Annoyance" (a parody of Jim Starlin's Universal Church of Truth). He engaged in some comedic antics (such as hitting a Watcher in the testicles), brawled with various powerful Marvel heroes (Hercules, the Silver Surfer) to show off his strength, and more, but only lasted for a handful of issues- appearing in a few issues each of MCP, Lunatik (it lasted three issues) and Cosmic Powers Unlimited, both written by his co-creator, whom I've never heard of.

-Eventually, he and his ally Skreet (who later allied with Thanos) were captured and sent to the Kyln, and broke out alongside Drax the Destroyer, Paibok the Power-Skrull, and the Blood Brothers. This is the start of Annihilation, in which Giffen finished off some un-used Cosmic Characters- Lunatik, like Drax, was shifted into a weaker form, but was decapitated by Drax, and had his head crushed. He is apparently dead, despite a huge part of his character in earlier stories being his invincibility.

-The original Lunatik is better known as Arisen Turk.

-Lunatik, as a Lobo parody, was a huge, unstoppable bad-ass, regenerating from damage in seconds, and being tough enough to brawl with Hercules or the Silver Surfer- his biggest power feat is probably hurting one of the Watchers. He's also a good enough fighter to tag Quicksilver (I choose to have this be All-Out Attack combined with +10 accuracy), and has 600 MILLION years of experience fighting. But he mysteriously loses most of that after spending time in the Kyln. He also has the ability to "adapt" to current surroundings after some time, which is probably how he got off of a planet upon which the Surfer had trapped him (he'd altered Lunatik's anatomy to force him to stay on a certain planet or die).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

I love Keith Giffen, I really do. His Justice League (eventually Justice League International) and LSH runs are some of my favorite comics of all time....but sometimes he goes a little far over the edge, even for me. Lunatik is one of those times.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

First off, welcome back HH.

Secondly, I'm someone who's slowly learned over time to really dislike Keith Giffen. To me, he's someone who only really works when he's got a co-writer reigning in his negative traits. His Legion run with Paul Levitz is the key example to me, since together they created what is probably the most fondly remembered era of the Legion. Without Paul, Giffen's Legion swiftly became this series that was just so antithetical to the Legion, turning a super-powered raygun gothic/retro-sci-fi series into a dystopian 1984 series.

The the Justice League, it shows how much Giffen needs the right kind of co-writer, as J.M. DeMatteis basically fed into Giffen's more satirical side and turned the League into a clownshow with the occasional bits of darkness (the Despero arc for example). It was this duo that basically turned Booster Gold and Blue Beetle from characters who had a humorous side to them into parodies of themselves, until Dan Jurgens came along after to basically fix things.

Beyond even that, Giffen just comes off as kind of a petty jerk. While his Karate Kid murder fetish is well known (he's killed the character off no less than 3 times), you also get things like his departure from the Legion book. Having been told that he couldn't simply kill off Legion members by pulling names out of a hat, Giffen decided to leave the series. And in his last issue of the series, he decided to literally just blow up the planet Earth in what even he admits was a temper tantrum, because he knew Legion editorial was so busy that he could get away with it. See, the Legion editorial was trying to do damage control on the Legion series and preparing to launch a new Legionnaires companion book to the main LoSH series.

So right as Legion editorial is busy trying to stabilize the Legion books and expand the franchise, their main writer not only leaves the book, but blows up the planet on his way out, leaving now plans for how to fix things, forcing them to adapt to the new book around this massive change. It's very reminiscent of Chelsea Cain's recent Twitter tantrum:
Chelsa Cain wrote:@Marvel asked me to keep this "clean and quiet" because apparently they've never met me. HI, GUYS, I'M THE ONE WHO'S THE PAIN IN THE ASS. REMEMBER ME NOW?
simply because Marvel decided that her taking two years to create two issues for a six issue mini-series was unacceptable.

Overall, Giffen just strikes me as being similar to John Byrne: emblematic of a brilliant comics creator who needs a good co-writer to really shine, otherwise his own ego will literally cause him to burn everything around him.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Regarding Luke Cage, in his original appearances, he could only lift around 3 tons making him weaker than Spider-Man.

During the 90s comic, he was subjected to the same treatment again making him a lot stronger and tougher.