Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
greycrusader

Re: Jab’s Builds (D’Vorah! Kotal Kahn! Freddy! Jason! Alien & Predator!)

Post by greycrusader »

The earliest example in comics I remember of teleportation being used as a weapon was by the Warpsmiths, a pair of alien heroes in Alan Moore's Miracleman; they are instrumental in bringing down the main villain, Johnny Bates (a Captain Marvel Jr. ersatz gone WAY wrong. Realizing Bates is impervious to external damage, they teleport a rock into his face (really grossly portrayed) and then a girder through his abdomen, eviscerating him.
Jabroniville

Magnus

Post by Jabroniville »

It shoulda been obvious he was gonna die soon when they debuted him with THAT kind of a costume.

MAGNUS (Magnus Lehnsherr)
Created By:
Judd Winick & Mike McKone
First Appearance: Exiles #1 (Aug. 2001)
Role: Sacrificial Buddy
Group Affiliations: The X-Men, The Exiles
PL 11 (179)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Science) 6 (+12)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Perception 2 (+4)
Ranged Attack (Magnetics) 2 (+10)
Technology 6 (+12)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: The Son of The Master of Magnetism"
Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]
Senses 3 (Detect Magnetics/Metals- Ranged, Acute) [3]
Quickness 4 (Flaws: Limited to Magnetic Acts & Building) [2]

Force Field 11 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Affects Others, 30ft. Burst, Impervious 13) (47) -- [61]
  • Dynamic AE: "Magnetic Energy Blast" Blast 10 (Feats: Dynamic, Split) (Extras: Penetrating 5) (27)
  • Dynamic AE: "Metal Trap" Snare 10 (Feats: Dynamic) (Quirk: Requires Metals -2) (29)
  • Dynamic AE: "Mass Trap" Snare 10 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Quirk: Requires Metals -2) (29)
  • Dynamic AE: "Magnetic Lifting" Move Object 12 (Feats: Dynamic, Precise, Increased Mass 4- 3,000 tons) (Extras: Perception Range) (Flaws: Limited to Metallics -8) (43)
  • Dynamic AE: Nullify Electronics & Machinery 14 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2, Sustained +2) (Flaws: Touch Range) (43)
  • Dynamic AE: "Shape Metal" Transform Metals to Metals 15 (Feats: Dyanmic) (31)
  • Dynamic AE: "Metal Everywhere!" Environment 4 (Feats: Dynamic) (Impede Movement 2) (9)
"Lethal Touch" Affliction 10 (Fort; Impaired & Hindered/Disabled & Defenseless/Transformed to Metal & Unaware) (Extras: Extra Condition) [20]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Magnetic Blast +8 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Metal Trap +10 (+10 Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
Mass Trap +10 Area (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Thrown Object +10 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +3 (+14 Force Field), Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Power Loss (Flesh Contact)- Magnus requires actual skin-to-skin contact to utilize his Transformation power. This means that beings like robots, or guys in Powersuits, are unable to be transformed.
Accident (Permanent Touch)- Magnus cannot turn off his Lethal Touch, and so cannot make skin contact with another without killing them.
Relationship (Parents)- Magnus' father Magneto has restarted his war on humanity, and he is responsible for his mother turning into a Metal statue.
Note: Alternate Universe Character- Characters from alternate universes are much easier to kill- failing a Toughness or Fortitude Check by 15 results in automatic death. Like when absorbing the energy of an atomic bomb blast.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 98 / Defenses: 9 (179)

-The son of Magneto & Rogue from an alternate universe where they'd hooked up after Magneto gave up on war with mankind, Magnus got the best & worst of their powers- Magnetism, but you also couldn't touch him without danger- he could turn people into metal! He'd accidentally killed his own mother in this manner, which sent Magneto back into war with humanity. Helping out the team on their first mission, he sacrificed his life to save them by containing an atomic bomb's explosion with his powers. This means he MUST be quite the bad-ass in terms of power, but as any time you DIE doing something, I'd call that using some kind of Uber-Hero Point thing ("Okay guys, I gotta go home. Just kill my character- but let's do it in some awesome way").
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:58 am One thing I could never figure out about Blink was how those spears of her worked. The idea of someone being able to literally weaponize teleporting like that was interesting but . . . . I mean, what were they? Like, where they objects made of condensed "Teleport energy" that she could make a limited number of? Where they some common material like glass or metal that she could 'charge' with her power so that she could use it at range? What?
I just took them for "Teleportation Energy". I mean, that stuff always forms perfect circles in mid-air, so why NOT be a different kind of shape?
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

From my 2014 set of Exiles builds:

Re-reading my old Exiles comics has been fun, and creates some interesting observations:

* A key problem: The stories are over too quickly. The whole "Kulan Gath turns Manhattan into a Hyborean City" story could have gone for a BIG arc, and here only has three issues- stuff happens in rapid succession, and characters we see on-panel for maybe three pages end up becoming super-important. Zarathos himself is supposed to be SO bad-ass (there's a great bit where Kulan Gath "unleashes the dark natures behind supernatural creatures"... and then finds out what that means when a GODDAMN DEMON LORD is the target of that spell), but suddenly Tanaraq-Sasquatch annihilates him. Tanaraq himself offers to take over the entire Exiles team and threatens all realities with his vicious nature, but he's unseated in only TWO issues thanks to the Exiles teaming up with another world's Shaman (with an assist from THAT dimension's Great Beasts). Given that 90% of comics is DECOMPRESSED these days in order to better fit into trades, and it's a bit odd to see someone consistently jump the gun- Tony Bedard is a bit worse for this than Judd Winick was.

* Namora just isn't that interesting, and neither was Evil Magik after a point. Both were acting as kind of the "Confrontational Teammate", and it didn't really matter. Also, both were killed almost as afterthoughts, and never mentioned again, even though Namora was actually claiming the team as her FRIENDS after a point.

* Nocturne REALLY doesn't use her powers much. Criminy, in upwards of SIXTY ISSUES, I think I've seen her Possession power used only twice, and her Blast power (her KEY OFFENSIVE POWER) used only slightly more often! 90% of the time she's dodging and jumping around. It is SO WEIRD. Also it has some limits that mean I have to go and edit her (she can only Possess people once per day, but it IS linked to a Tiring effect and she can temporarily revive the possessed targets).

* As good as Chuck Austen's run is compared to his usual stuff, it's still got VERY bad villain dialogue throughout. I think he gets all his stuff from Snidley Whiplash lines, but with more nastiness thrown in. King Hyperion was VERY BAD for this, like the time he ripped Ms. Marvel's clothes off and they all made kisses, and he later said he'd still hump her "as much as I can, between other women". It's this weird kind of puerile fanboy version of how people have sex- it reminds me of that awful CGI space cartoon he did, with "Six of Nine" and that stuff. Tripping the Rift?

Moses Magnum & Namorita attack the nation of Japan, and they can't just take it over- he wants GENOCIDE ("I don't even want these people around as SLAVES"). When the team is given their mission to ensure that one reality's strongest hero team (Cage, Iron Fist & Colossus, among others) doesn't show up to save the day, Magik, being amoral, immediately runs in and maims the team via blowing up their ship. And when The Scorpion screams in agony at losing his legs, Magik can't just put him out of his misery- she has to be EXTRA cruel and go "GOD, will you SHUT UP?!?". An Evil Havok has to insult Annie Gazhik... Gasarme... some Armenian thing... mocking her appearance ("all the tail in this place and he picks YOU as his woman? The man is an idiot"). Austen clearly has some severe mental problems, because every one of his bad guys acts like this- mindlessly, needlessly, extra cruel. Getting verbal digs in as they win.

* The best arc overall is the "Techno-Virus Combined With Legacy Virus" one. Hank Pym is the leader of the heroes on this world, so naturally they're straight-f***ed and need The Exiles to save them. Morph actually comes with a smart workaround that involves The Norse Gods (who he mentions as being missing for most of their "Jumps")- which brings up the odd thing about having characters THAT POWERFUL on regular Earth- it kind of makes a lot of these "This guy will take over THE ENTIRE WORLD" stories a bit silly, because you're like "Okay, this is a big Cosmic Uber-God... but Thor beats these guys all the time".

* Sabretooth is actually REALLY BORING. I mean, he's there to make Blink question herself and that part works, but he's just kind of gruff and grouchy but not that exciting... it's like a Poor Man's Wolverine.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

greycrusader wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:42 am Weird how Blink was incredibly popular among X-fans for a fairly decent number of years, before utterly ignoring her finally killed off the character's heat. And yeah-Magik (who ALSO got an Exiles revival) got reverted to childhood, killed off, replaced TWICE (first by super-obscure Amanda Sefton and then by Pixie), turned outright evil...wow, Marvel managed to wreck the popularity of a LOT of non-Wolverine X-men (Gambit, Havok, Rogue, Storm...)

All my best.
This is one of the worst aspects of the X-Books, when I really think about it. I was working up some kind of rant at some point about how the X-Books are the worst victims of the "Excessive Stuff Happening To Them" nature of comics, and how the best thing would almost be a reboot to when Claremont first left, before it got out of control. Unfortunately, reboots are impossible to work properly, as we've seen from the ENDLESS examples in history. Especially because primarily the X-Men suffer from this, having VERY few good arcs after a point (Avengers was worse in the '90s, but got better under Busiek), and I wouldn't want to reboot EVERYTHING.

But yeah, they managed to destroy their MAIN EVENTERS, for God's sake. Storm should be one of Marlel's biggest characters, but her run as the Black Panther's wife actually HURT the character, and as I once mentioned, sending her off on Claremont's Pet Book X-Treme X-Men had the disastrous effect of making her unimportant to the overall narrative of the X-Men universe- something she's NEVER recovered from. I mean, every major event revolves around other people- she doesn't even factor into Schism, when in the '90s, she was the X-Men's co-leader!

Rogue and Gambit were HUGE stars in the 1990s, arguably bigger than all but ten or so Marvel characters... and now they're nothing. Rogue managed to squander all of her popularity from the X-Men movies, as well. Even though both characters led X-Books in the early 2000s, they also got that X-Treme stink on them and just disappeared from the narrative.

Emma Frost? Now a villain. Magik? Kinda got screwed around with too much, and her "maybe kinda evil" thing is played out. Havok? Once had a long ongoing Alternate Universe title and was a major part of Remender's Avengers Unity Squad title... but then they flipped his alignment in Axis and instead of DOING ANYTHING WITH IT, they just dumped him.

It's really bizarre that what was once the biggest selling superhero in the world, with some of the most popular characters in comics (Storm, Rogue & Gambit were HUGE in the '90s), was allowed to be squandered this way. This started BEFORE the "Fox Fights" happened, too, so you can't just blame it all on that. It's just this weird combination of poor writing, bad editorial decisions ("nah, let's keep Magik dead! But run an event every six months that CHANGES EVERYTHING!"), repeated roster switches, 3-4 Team Books running simultaneously (thus diluting every major character), and more... it all just piled together to completely wreck that part of comics, and I really wonder if it's salvageable.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I think my favorite Exiles storyline was the "Skrull Earth" one, where we got an interesting take on an alien invasion. Most of the time these invasions happen in the 20th/21st centuries, when we've got either technology or superheroes to help even the odds. Here, the alien invasion happens in the 19th century, when we don't have either, and thus are easy pickings for them.

The only guys who might have been able to put up a fight would have been the mystical/supernatural community of Earth. And that might have been interesting, actually. See the Ancient One have to pick a new student to take up the mantle, see the Immortal Weapons of that era working with the Western heroes, maybe we get a new Captain Britain, Apocalypse and Dracula show up to fight the invasion, stuff like that.

Anyway, the storyline itself had a lot of good moments, from Mimic and Captain America's "fight" to that moment when the super-gladiators of Earth get their first real taste of freedom . . . and see Terrax threatening their world. And in that moment, they go from slaves and gladiators and become heroes. There was a funny bit at the end where the fight is going on, and the rest of the Exiles are just watching Terrax get the shit kicked out of him.

"Man, you don't usually hear that kind of language thrown around during a superhero fight."

"I know, right? That Polaris swears like a sailor."

It'd be interesting to see what that world could have become. You have a world where the heroes are all elite fighters, in a world that has been largely enslaved, but now has access to Skrull technology to uplift themselves. They've lost their version of Captain America, but likely still have other heroes around. Its one reality I'd be tempted to revisit.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
slade the sniper

Post by slade the sniper »

On page 1...why is Brigitte not one of the characters listed? I know you made the character...but where is she? The other characters are all listed and linked...

-STS
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

slade the sniper wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:59 am On page 1...why is Brigitte not one of the characters listed? I know you made the character...but where is she? The other characters are all listed and linked...

-STS
Oh, I probably didn't paste the new builds into the list yet.
Jabroniville

Nocturne

Post by Jabroniville »

NOCTURNE (Talia Josephine "T.J." Wagner)
Created By:
Jim Calafiore
First Appearance: X-Men: Millennial Visions (Aug. 2000)
Role: Sexy Blue-Skinned Chick
Group Affiliations: The X-Men, The Exiles, The Brotherhood of Mutants
PL 10 (150)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 7
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+15)
Athletics 9 (+11)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Singing) 1 (+4)
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 2 (+4)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Hex Bolts) 2 (+10)
Stealth 1 (+8)
Vehicles 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Great Endurance, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Teamwork, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Possessions & Nightcrawler Stuff"
"Possession" Affliction 12 (Will; Entranced & Fatigued/Compelled & Exhausted/Controlled & Asleep) (Feats: Subtle) (Extras: Merge With Subject, Extra Condition, Sustained +2) (Flaws: Instant Recovery, Unreliable- 1/Day -2) (Inaccurate -1) Linked to Healing 4 (Flaws: Limited to Possessed Targets, Limited to Awakening Unconscious People For Control) (26) -- [27]
  • AE: "Hex Bolts of Brimstone Energy" Blast 8 (16)
"Prehensile Tail" Extra Limb 1 [1]
Movement 2 (Wall-Crawling 2) [4]
"Shadow-Melding" Concealment 2 (Visuals) (Flaws: Limited to Darkness) [2]
Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]

"Latent Telepathy" Features 1: Telepathic Enough to Use Cerebro [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Hex Bolts +10 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Possession +8 (+12 Affliction, DC 22)
Initiative +11

Defenses:
Dodge +14 (DC 24), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +4 (+5 Defensive Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:
Prejudice (Obvious Mutant)- T.J. has blue fur, three-digits on all of her limbs, and a prehensile tail.
Relationship (John Proudstar)- T.J. fell in love with her teammate, the monstrous Thunderbird. When he is rendered comatose on a mission (during which she became pregnant) and left behind, the pregnancy somehow ended- it is unclear how.
Disabled (Stroke Victim)- T.J. suffered a stroke while on New Excalibur, leaving her with memory loss, partial paralysis and aphasia. She eventually recovered.
Note: Alternate Universe Character- Characters from alternate universes are much easier to kill- failing a Toughness or Fortitude Check by 15 results in automatic death.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 36 / Defenses: 16 (150)

Nocturne- Nightcrawler's Daughter:
-Nocturne debuted in a one-shot comic's "Alternate Future" storyline that featured a crippled Wolverine mentoring a new team after he was mind-controlled into killing Professor X (and Xavier paralyzed him in his death-throes). The daughter of Nightcrawler and the Scarlet Witch, she got some powers from both, plus her own thing, getting a lot more unique powers than is normal for a Mutant. But hey- it's WANDA MAXIMOFF, so we should be lucky she doesn't just have a bajillion random powers. She's another fairly normal person on the squad (which is kind of an interesting thing- the book didn't really have the wild & crazy characterizations many other books did- the team was fairly well-adjusted and not totally nuts), and hooked up with Thunderbird, despite his mutations. There was a subplot where she was pregnant, but when he got knocked into a coma saving the world from Galactus, he was left behind- Nocturne later reveals that she had an abortion, being unable to cope without her man.

-As kind of a "Filler" member, T.J. was nonetheless quite visually-interesting (sexy girl versions of Nightcrawler and people like that make me realize what women saw in the male character, which I'd never understood before), but ended up being left on the Mainstream Earth in place of Beak, who went off with the Exiles. However, she didn't really get up to anything interesting there, getting mixed up with Exodus and his Brotherhood, visits Mojo and his Mojoverse (which is always a "tell" that a story is about to be pretty dumb and nonsensical), and witnesses him turn the X-Men into X-Babies (see what I mean?) before they correct things. Her run gets mixed up with the "House of M" crossover (where her "royal blood", as granddaughter of Magneto, comes into play), which pretty well stalled all of the X-Books for a time.

Nocturne Gets Forgotten:
-Nocturne ended up on Claremont's New Excalibur, a book that quickly failed, suffering a stroke in the meantime- Claremont even went into detail on the after-effects of such a thing, and how recovery works (if there's one thing he's good at, it's research). However, she rescued Thunderbird and rejoined the Exiles (albeit while still in recovery). The best thing she did there was call Nightcrawler "dad", which left him about as shocked as you might imagine ("I KNEW I should have been more careful..."). After this, the character effectively disappears from comics, disappearing with the Exiles and being seen only in passing, helping out the various squads.

-All of this makes Nocturne's leaving of the team feel REALLY, REALLY WEIRD, as they wrote her out and put her into the Mainstream Marvel Universe... but not on any popular TEAMS, and so the character just utterly vanishes and never matters. That this was during one of the darkest periods of the X-Books (the Austen/Brubaker/Fraction run where it's just endless repetition, deep continuity and random characterization and team-reshuffling) didn't help- in the end, Nocturne was only on the side books and returned to the Exiles just in time for their book to die.

Nocturne's Stats:
-Nocturne's weird "Grab-Bag" of Powers makes her an odd one with a strange place in the group- a bit of her stuff is already done by Blink (Agility, Blasts), and she also has that Possession Power, which... I really didn't see all that much. Hell, if it wasn't for the "Leave all your Possessions" bit they were given as a clue once (and I still remember), I would have forgotten completely that she even HAD that power! It's just such a potential Game-Breaker that it doesn't even get used in stories- you could end a fight in seconds! She's not overly-powerful outside of the Possession power, essentially just being a low-level Blaster who's only PL 9 at range and PL 8.5-9 Defensively.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Thunderbird (Exiles)

Post by Jabroniville »

THUNDERBIRD (John Proudstar, aka War, Horseman of Apocalypse)
Created By:
Judd Winick & Mike McKone (From Len Wein & Dave Cockrum's Character)
Role: Powerhouse, Monstrous Hero
PL 10 (175), PL 13 (175) Enranged
STRENGTH
13/19 STAMINA 13/16 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 2 (+3)
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 10 (+11)
Perception 6 (+7)
Technology 2 (+4)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Grab, Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 2, Startle

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Enhanced Physicality"
Leaping 4 (120 feet) [4]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
"Cybernetic Plates" Impervious Toughness 15 [15]
Senses 4 (Low-Light & Extended Vision, Acute Scent, Tracking) [4]
Immunity 4 (Starvation & Thirst, Heat, Cold) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2]
Regeneration 2 [2]

"Super-Strength Feats"
"Groundstrike" Affliction 12 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Ground) Linked to Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (18) -- [20]
  • AE: "Groundstrike Line" Affliction 12 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Ground) Linked to Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (18)
  • AE: Penetrating Strength Damage 8 (8)
"Enraged Form"
Enhanced Strength 6 [12]
Enhanced Stamina 3 [6]
Protection 1 [1]
"Stegosaurus Tail" Reach 1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+19 Damage, DC 34)
Boosted Strength +7 (+19 Damage, DC 31)
Strength Feats +12 Area (+12 Affliction, DC 22)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +13 (+17 Enhanced), Fortitude +13 (+16 Enhanced), Will +7

Complications:
Disabled (No Sense of Taste)
Relationship (Nocturne)- John fell in love with his teammate during the course of the Exiles' adventures, though he could not understand what someone as beautiful as her saw in a monster like him.
Involuntary Transformation (Enraged)- John can lose his mind when in his heavily-armoured, bestial form- he will be unable to stop fighting, and often requires other means to calm down.
Temper- In most continuities, John has as pretty bad temper. He's much more calm in this form, though, as he's tried to reject the rage Apocalypse saw in him.
Note: Alternate Universe Character- Characters from alternate universes are much easier to kill- failing a Toughness or Fortitude Check by 15 results in automatic death.

Total: Abilities: 74 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 69 / Defenses: 13 (175)

-Thunderbird has fascinated a couple X-Men writers, mainly because the guy was one of comics' first Sacrificial Buddies (John Proudstar died in a stupid manner in an early X-mission, because he & Wolverine basically took up the same role as Angry Young Man), AND he's one of the few X-Men characters not to become steeped in miles and miles of impenetrable continuity. I mean, even by the '90s, each X-Man had TONS of stuff written about them and had been all over the place, ever since the book became the most popular thing in the industry in the early '80s. The only characters who missed out on all this were the dead ones, and at the time that meant just John here and Changeling. And bizarrely, he's one of the only guys NEVER TO COME BACK TO LIFE PERMANENTLY.

-Exiles made use of a large number of forgotten X-Characters, and John was no exception- he was fitted in as someone shaped by Apocalypse into a monster (all Archangel-style), turning him into a Super-Heavyweight who could change into a massive armoured form that was capable of knocking out THE FREAKING HULK (though as John and an Alternate John note, at least he doesn't go on and on about it like Susan Richards does). He had a Beauty & The Beast deal with Nocturne, but ended up being rendered comatose and brain-dead after saving one Earth from Galactus. He disappeared for years, only returning from the Panoptichron's "Hall of Dead" when his body recovered on its own, and he was reunited with Nocturne and sent to live on Sasquatch/Heather's world (dunno why theirs were unusable).

-Thunderbird is a PL 10 Powerhouse to start with, but if he's willing to let his rage go, he can turn into a near Hulk-level monstrosity that looks pretty cool (I REALLY hate the McKone/Calafiore design they did- it's all off-kilter and noseless and big-chinned, making him look like Jay Leno on Steroids) with Stegosaurus plates and tail and all that, but is rather uncontrolled in that form. This makes him the strongest member in the book's run by a ways, but still a bit limited (since he REALLY didn't want to let loose all the time).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Sasquatch (Exiles)

Post by Jabroniville »

SASQUATCH (Dr. Heather Hudson)
Created By:
Judd Winick & Mike McKone
First Appearance: Exiles #10 (Dec. 2002)
Role: Powerhouse, Team Doctor
Group Affiliations: Alpha Flight, The Exiles
PL 10 (142)
STRENGTH
13 STAMINA 12 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 1 (+4)
Expertise (Science) 7 (+12)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 2 (+5, +6 Size)
Perception 3 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Stealth 4 (+2, +0 Size)
Technology 7 (+12)
Treatment 6 (+11)
Vehicles 2 (+2)

Advantages:
Diehard, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Sasquatch Form"
"Large Size" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (8 feet) [4]
Reach 1 [1]
Power-Lifting 1 (400 tons) [1]
Protection 1 [1]

"Arctic Creature"
Immunity 1 (Cold) [1]
Enhanced Skills 4: Stealth 4 (+4) (Flaws: Limited to Within Wintry Environments) [1]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adapatation- Arctic) [2]

"Animal Senses" Senses 4 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended Hearing) [4]
"Healing Factor" Regeneration 2 [2]
Leaping 3 (60 feet) [3]

"Groundstrike" (Alt-Effect of Strength Damage) [1]
Damage 7 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (Flaws: Limited to Grounded Targets) Linked to Affliction 10 (Strength; Dazed/Stunned) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (Flaws: Limited to Grounded Targets, Limited Degree) (12)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +13, Fortitude +12, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (Wolverine)- Heather had rehabilitated a savage Wolverine, and the two had fallen in love and gotten married. Eventually, she was forced to kill him when he went savage.
Enemy/Involuntary Transformation (Tanaraq)- The Demonic Tanaraq had made a deal with Heather years ago, but brainwashed her into forgetting his presence within her. The demon can take over her body at certain times, leaving her out of control.

Total: Abilities: 86 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 21 / Defenses: 10 (142)

-When Thunderbird went down fighting Galactus, the team, which often got a new member to take the similar spot of an old one, got a new Powerhouse in Sasquatch. But THIS 'Squatch was a bit different- it was Heather Hudson instead of Walter Langkowski, and instead of Alpha Flight's kinda-boring redheaded sorta-leader, it was a black woman who was a DOCTOR (which of course meant that she was an M.D. and also a Scientific Genius, because this is comics). Oddly, she never seemed QUITE as powerful as Langkowski was- she had very few Strength Feats (especially compared to Thunderbird), didn't beat a lot of people, and was generally just a background type, though a bit of a normalizing influence, much like Mariko was- she was more steadfast and calm than the others (Mariko was your standard quick-to-anger Fire-user). She ended up pregnant and de-powered at some point, but was generally a Homebase Character after that- monitoring missions and telling others what to do.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Mimic (Exiles)

Post by Jabroniville »

MIMIC (Calvin Rankin)
Created By:
Judd Winick & Mike McKone (From Stan Lee & Jack Kirby's Character)
Role: Power-Copier, Multifaceted Hero
PL 11 (269)
STRENGTH
3/7/11 STAMINA 4/7 AGILITY 3/7
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+7, +11 Mimicked)
Athletics 5 (+8, +12 Mimicked)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Deception 2 (+6, +8 Attractive)
Expertise (Superheroics) 5 (+8)
Expertise (Writing) 2 (+5)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 2 (+5)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 2 (+6)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 3 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+6, +8 Attractive)
Technology 1 (+4)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Attractive, Defensive Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Leadership, Ranged Attack 6, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Power-Mimickry"
Variable 10 (Powers of Anyone Close By) (Extras: Continuous) (Flaws: Will Permanently Lose One Power-Set By Copying Someone Else's Powers, Continuous Limited to After Hours of Contact) (Quirks: Limited to Half of Overall Power -2) [63]

"Permanent Powers"
"The Beast"
Enhanced Strength 4 [8]
Enhanced Stamina 3 [6]
Enhanced Agility 4 [8]
Enhanced Skills 4: Acrobatics 4 (+15) [2]
Movement 2 (Sure-Footed, Wall-Crawling) [4]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]

"Wolverine"
"Bone Claws" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Split) [2]
Senses 3 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision) [3]
"Healing Factor" Regeneration 4 [4]
Enhanced Advantages 2: Diehard, Great Endurance [2]
Immunity 2 (Disease, Poison) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2]

"Cyclops"
"Optic Blasts" Blast 9 (18) -- [19]
  • AE: "Long-Range Beam" Damage 9 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (18)
"Colossus"
Enhanced Strength 4 [8]
Reduced Fighting 1 [-2]
Reduced Dodge -2 [-2]
"Organic Steel Skin" Protection 4 (Extras: Impervious 7) [11]
"Steel Claws" Strength-Damage +1 (Extras: Penetrating 5) [6]

"Northstar"
Flight 8 (500 mph) (Flaws: Last 4 Ranks Not in Organic Steel Mode -2) [14]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Beast's Strength +12 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Claws +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Colossus' Strength +11 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Colossus With Claws +9 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Optic Blasts +10 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Optic Line +9 Area (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +3 (+7 Beast's Agility)

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (+8 Steel Form, DC 25), Parry +10 (+9 Steel Form, DC 25), Toughness +4 (+7 Beast's Stamina, +11 Steel Skin), Fortitude +7 (+10 Beast's Stamina), Will +7

Complications:
Relationship (Blink)- The two quickly become close, and fall in love, and are inseparable after a while. When Blink is sent away from the team, he rapidly spirals into depression and loses a bit of himself.
Responsibility (Shell-Shocked)- The omnipresent danger and nasty missions have taken their toll on Calvin- he grows more distant and nastier as time goes on, especially once Blink leaves the team.
Guilt (Killer)- Forced to kill many times while an Exile, Cal is horrified when, while under control of a Brood Egg, he kills his teammate Sunfire in battle. Devastated, he swears never to kill again.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 160 / Defenses: 10 (269)

Mimic- The Top-Tier Exile:
-Mimic's inclusion on Exiles was pretty cool. I mean, here's a guy who had all kinds of power in the Mainstream Marvel Universe, yet was always a D-League ass-butt of a villain who occasionally flirts with heroism, but is ultimately too powerful to be used consistently. The guy flat-out SUCKED and was almost never used. So he was a PERFECT choice to be put onto the team as the Generic Superhero Guy. All they needed to do was completely change his personality and the level of his powers- this makes Mimic one of the rare guys to have perfect powers as a hero AND a villain! See, as a villain, he was uber-powerful and disgustingly versatile, with his combined powers being greater than their whole (Blasters like Cyclops are usually vulnerable, Powerhouses like Beast lack versatility, Debuffers like Iceman lack finishing power, and Angel's just a flier... by combining the powers, he's super well-rounded), but as a HERO, this alternate Mimic had more limited powers that still allowed for some great stuff- he could only mimic powers at HALF-strength, and only five at a time (copying a new power would permanently erase an old one). This made him versatile, but still beatable.

Mimic- The "Classic" Superhero:
-Mimic was a nasty mutant at first, but soon joined the X-Men to get out of jail, and became one of the greatest heroes of his Earth after seeing Professor X's side of things- he became one of those standard Vanilla Heroic Types, which was a nice fit on the book, as he was less of a joker than Morph (or anyone else on the team, really, save Thunderbird) and kind of made up a backbone of the team. He created a pretty cool visual with the whole "Wolverine/Angel/Colossus" thing, too. In the book, he was a frontline fighter alongside T-Bird or Sasquatch, and always had the right kind of power for any situation. Alas, Tony Bedard eventually killed him when Proteus invaded his body and burnt it out- I kept hoping for a resurrection or something, but Exiles just wasn't that kinda book- with him, Sunfire AND Nocturne out of the book by this point, I was pretty much out on an emotional level. It's not just that these characters were so great (though they were fun)- it was that their REPLACEMENTS weren't nearly as good.

Master Mimicry:
-Mimic is pricey, points-wise, as you would expect for someone with a buttload of different heroes' powers AND a Variable Copycat effect of his very own! It's got a -1 Flaw for the fact that if he tries to use it, he'll permanently lose another Permanent Power (but he CAN do a Continuous Copy, leaving him one of those weird characters whose main Power is largely-unusable, and he could permanently lose some SWEET Powers at any time! His Power Level is the highest of his team, though he's PL 10 Defensively- he was great and versatile, but wasn't NOTICEABLY dominant in all of his fights- his Toughness and his Healing Factor get him out of more scraps than does his vast ability. He gets a -2 Quirk for his inability to copy a guy's maximum power- he'll come CLOSE (so he doesn't get a Flaw, since he's not exactly half-strength in terms of stats- half of Colossus' Strength 13 is actually closer to Strength 11 or 12, not 6.5, going by M&M's calculations of lifting ability and raw Strength score).

-Figuring out his Accuracy & Damage ratios was a bit of a pain. See, Mimic was most-often seen in human form, and often fought that way. BUT, he could also turn into a Colossus-like Organic-Steel Form (at lower-than-Piotr Strength, naturally), which made him STRONGER AND TOUGHER. But I had to think of why he wouldn't just be in that form ALL the time (I mean, in M&M terms, it'd be dumb to NOT fight in a higher-PL form constantly), so I threw in some lowered Accuracy & Defenses for that form- as if he was consciously holding back in it, or counting on his Steel Skin to carry the day a little more. Generally he always SHOULD be in that form still (it's the only way to get to PL 11, and he's much Tougher), but there's some variability to it.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Magik (Exiles)

Post by Jabroniville »

MAGIK (Illyana Rasputin)
Created By:
Chuck Austen & Clayton Henry (from Chris Claremont & Dave Cockrum's Character)
First Appearance: Exiles #25 (May 2003)
Role: Token Evil Teammate, Swordfighter
Group Affiliations: Alpha Flight, The Exiles
PL 10 (160)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+7)
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 7 (+7)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)
Stealth 1 (+6)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Daze (Deception), Diehard, Improved Critical (Sword) 2, Ranged Attack 4, Startle

Powers:
"Bad-Ass Sword" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [9]
Strength-Damage +6 (Extras: Penetrating 8) (14 points)

"Mutant Powers: Stepping Discs"
"Moving Across Earth Via Limbo" Teleport 10 (Feats: Change Velocity, Increased Mass 5) (Extras: Extended Only +0, Easy, Portal +2) (56) -- [57]
  • AE: "Stepping Disc to Limbo" Movement 1 (Dimensional Travel 1) (Feats: Change Direction & Velocity, Increased Mass 5) (Extras: Easy, Portal +2) (14)
Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Sword +12 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Relationship (Colossus- Brother)- Despite her psychopathic tendencies, Illyana is close enough with her brother to be taken aback when she spots him on a mission to kill him and his Avengers teammates, Danny Rand & Luke Cage.
Motivation (Herself)- Illyana merely wishes to go home- she is unconcerned about blood spilt along the ways, and generally attacks first without asking questions at all.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 66 / Defenses: 10 (160)

-When Blink was temporarily sent home after a mission on a Technis-Infected Earth, she was replaced by the Teleporting Illyana Rasputin. However, THIS Magik wasn't just a demonically-twisted young girl with some nasty ideas- she was an outright bitch who was openly hostile to others and quite a bit murderous. When the team is given a horrible mission (they're to kill The Avengers- a team of profiteering heroes led by Danny Rand- and allow Moses Magnum to wipe out the nation of Japan), Magik just shrugs, smirks and coldly goes along with it, slicing through a Quinjet and murdering The Scorpion while he screams in pain! Her nastiness is played up later when Angel swipes one of her Swords (she can just make other ones, apparently) in a cross-over with Chuck Austen's much-maligned mainstream X-Title, and when she betrays the entire team to King Hyperion.

-The Evil Hyperion is told about the new mission- to combine the Exiles & Weapon-X teams into one by slaughtering all but seven members. Magik hopes to curry favor with whom she sees as the obvious victor in the war, but he decides to test her theory by seeing if a dead person is replaced- Magik gets a dose of her own medicine when he snaps her neck. He shrugs and realizes that she was truthful.

-Determining Magik's abilities becomes weird when you realize that she tore AN AIRPLANE IN HALF in one moment, and the next is unable to pierce either Luke Cage or Colossus' skin appreciably, and she gets immediately housed by said heroes. So I have no idea how powerful that Sword REALLY is (especially since Angel eventually gets it, and just uses it like a regular cool sword, not a Plane-Chopping Death Weapon). Needless to say, she still does a lot of damage (+8 seems okay- she manages to make Cage BLEED when he blocks her slash with his wrist, which is more than most Swords can do), but lacks the Magical Powers, Demon Summoning or Anti-Magical Properties of the Soulsword. And she's got a glass jaw, too- Iron Fist one-shotting her with a kick is pretty weaksauce for a Swordfighter (who you'd expect would specialize in melee combat), but even ANGEL does it with a single punch!
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Alien & Predator! Kratos! The Exiles! Blink!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Alright, I adjusted my build for the God of War version of Kratos. His caps are largely the same- he still does +10 Damage with his blades, it's just that his BASELINE strength is higher.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds (Alien & Predator! Kratos! The Exiles! Blink!)

Post by Ares »

Mimic was far and away my favorite Exiles character, so naturally I was annoyed when they killed him off permanently as well. For whatever reason I always kind of liked the 616 Mimic, or at least stories involving him, and its kind of a shame they can never do anything with the guy. Exiles Mimic was a unique take on the "power copy" ability, with some genuine flaws and hard rules for how his powers work. It implies to some degree that this is what 616 Mimic would have been like without the accident that pre-maturely triggered his mutation, enhancing it to the degree that it is.

Me personally, I would have probably tweaked Mimic's fighting style a little where he would tend to permanently Mimic only 4 powers, leaving one empty slot to power copy as needed during a fight. Frankly, Mimic should have also been using this dimension hopping opportunity to constantly upgrade his abilities as well. Like, there was no reason to not Power Copy Thor or Hyperion once the opportunity presented itself.

Also not sure why, but the idea of a heroic Scorpion kind of appeals to me.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.