Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds (Anna! Kristoff! Olaf! Marshmallow! ELSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!)

Post by Ares »

M4C8 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:48 pm About the not committal gay thing, I just don't understand that mindset, I think it's one of the most ridiculous things about modern woke crusaders, they jump to a conclusion about a characters based on nothing tangible and then get angry and abusive to others when their view isn't explicitly and overtly stated as truth in subsequent appearances. People have done this with Elsa, since she doesn't have a love interest people stated she should be gay and because filmmakers haven't acknowledged this they've accused the film makers of gay erasure (which I'm sure is a pop band from the 80's)
Pretty much. There was an old joke about how, in literature, everyone that could even possibly be an analogy for Jesus was definitely an analogy for Jesus, even if you had to squint, twist and turn in all kind of improbable ways to make it work. That's sort of become the new thing with gay couples, where people will basically project the idea that two people are gay if a) They're the same gender, and b) spend any amount of time alone together. I remember a vocal minority being upset because they wouldn't make Steve and Bucky gay in the movies, because according to them, they were obviously in love. It's basically gotten to the point where some people just don't get the idea that people can have a deep friendship that is also also completely platonic.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Shock

Re: Hans

Post by Shock »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:31 pm BUT WAIT!:
-And of course, Hans represents something that's become a bit of a Disney Cliche by this point: The SECRET VILLAIN! I carefully hid this in my previous two postings of the character (nobody noticed that I have this dashing, heroic Prince twelve ranks of Deception :)), but now it's pretty much know to everybody.
What?!? Dude spoilers :lol:
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Shock wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:27 am
-And of course, Hans represents something that's become a bit of a Disney Cliche by this point: The SECRET VILLAIN! I carefully hid this in my previous two postings of the character (nobody noticed that I have this dashing, heroic Prince twelve ranks of Deception :)), but now it's pretty much know to everybody.
It’s five years along, ya butt :P.

Ps Incredibles 2 builds are gonna have spoilers, too, so everyone get caught up with watching it :).
bsdigitalq

Re: Jab’s Builds (Kristoff! Olaf! ELSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! Hans!)

Post by bsdigitalq »

The spoilers never bothered me anyway.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:46 am

Ps Incredibles 2 builds are gonna have spoilers, too, so everyone get caught up with watching it :).
Ah crap. I actually want to see that one
Jabroniville

The Duke of Weselton

Post by Jabroniville »

THE DUKE OF WESELTON
Played by:
Alan Tudyk
Role: Snivelling Coward, Evil Bigot
PL 1 (25), PL 2 (25) Saves
STRENGTH
-1 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Expertise (Business) 4 (+7)
Expertise (Duke) 5 (+8)
Insight 3 (+6)
Perception 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Benefit 2 (The Duke of Weselton)

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Will +3

Complications:
Berserk Button ("It's WESELTON!")- He hates it when people assume his region is named "Weasel Town".
Motivation (Learning Secrets)- The Duke likes to know everyone's business- he is nosy and pushy when it comes to mysteries.

Total: Abilities: 16 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 0 (25)

-Introduced as the movie's only real antagonistic character at first, the Duke of Weselton (played by Alan Tudyk, who has played numerous villains lately) appears as a comedic-looking, nosy pain in the ass. He's played for laughs at first (revealing a combover and a chicken-like dancing style), but his sneering "DO YOU know why the gates were closed?" attitude with Anna reveals him to be pushy and a bit threatening. He REALLY wants to know the business of "Our most MYSTERIOUS trading partner...". He's also important to the plot, for when Elsa reveals her ice powers to a horrified audience, HE'S the one who hisses "SORCERY!!!..." then starts sending his men after her, crying "Monster! MONSTER!". He's thus revealed as a vicious, cowardly asshole, and is largely responsible for chasing Elsa away. One of the easiest "gay analogies" to make about Frozen is the reaction of this character, who basically represents all the bigoted, "I don't understand it/I fear it, so it must be evil" types of jerks out there.

-He spends the rest of the movie being conniving and whiny- he's afraid of the cold, and insists that Elsa be brought down- he even volunteers his two men, then casually tells one of them to EXTERMINATE the Queen on sight! He doesn't play a role for the rest of things, but is basically tossed out of Arendelle at the end, with Elsa's majordomo repeating the "WEASEL TOWN" moniker, deliberately this time, as Arendelle now refuses to do business with his people.

Post-Frozen Duke: The character doesn't appear in any official stuff that I can see- the only character (major or minor) to miss out as such. Once Upon A Time, however, portrayed him as the fiancee of Elsa's aunt back in the day- when she is accidentally killed by the original Snow Queen, he is set on a more adversarial bent. He's still portrayed as a little weasel, too.

-The Duke is an unimpressive, but important, figure. His attitude is more brusque and rude, and he doesn't really get any of the information he seeks... but he's rich and powerful, so things can still happen under his watch.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Shock wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:06 am
Jabroniville wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:46 am

Ah crap. I actually want to see that one
I assumed everyone had seen it- damn thing came close to Frozen’s record, lol.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Anna! Kristoff! Olaf! Marshmallow! ELSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!)

Post by Jabroniville »

M4C8 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:48 pm About the not committal gay thing, I just don't understand that mindset, I think it's one of the most ridiculous things about modern woke crusaders, they jump to a conclusion about a characters based on nothing tangible and then get angry and abusive to others when their view isn't explicitly and overtly stated as truth in subsequent appearances. People have done this with Elsa, since she doesn't have a love interest people stated she should be gay and because filmmakers haven't acknowledged this they've accused the film makers of gay erasure (which I'm sure is a pop band from the 80's)
I think gays are just getting tired of waiting, given how much they love Disney, how much Disney KIND OF reciprocates (by pushing benefits for same-sex partners of staff members, supporting "Gay Days" at Disney Parks, and other things), and how their only real "gay representation" in Disney's stuff is one of their teen shows having "two moms" and "two moms" showing up for 0.5 seconds in Finding Dory.

The "Elsa as a Lesbian" thing is a different ball of wax, perhaps ignoring that part of the POINT of Frozen was that "Sibling love is as important as romantic love", and simply going "Well she's not in a relationship, so CLEARLY she's a lesbian", as if Elsa was getting close to ANYONE in that movie. Idina Menzel herself pretty much said "I don't care one way or the other" (looking at prospective partners for Elsa in one talk show, they landed on Tinker Bell and she laughed, lol), and I'm in the same boat.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Looking at Frozen Deleted Scenes is always fun- they went a LOT of potential routes in this film, and only deleted stuff at the very end. Not only was "Evil Elsa" done away with, but a subplot about "The Prophecy" of an ice-powered person bringing disaster was dropped (a big part was supposed to be whether or not the prophecy was Elsa).

The "Making Of" CD includes full songs, done by Kristin Andersen-Lopez, but they actually RECORDED the legitimate voice actors practicing:
Life's Too Short: I never really cared for this one. A little too cheesy, a little too catchy, and it REALLY made the sisters seem immature. It's VERY weird to hear a character as stoic, regal, and practiced as Elsa literally doing the "la-lalaalalala I CAN'T HEAR YOUUUUUUUUUUUU!" thing.

A cut "Dressing Room" scene: Also makes Elsa seem too "casual". AND it leaves out the isolation that was so important to the movie.

"Evil Elsa": While I adore what we got, Idina would have made one HELL of a villain.

Stuff like this makes me realize just how unexpected it was to get a charater LIKE Elsa- so reserved, stand-offish and fearful. These scenes give us the impression that she's some grouchy, annoyed older sister. Re-watching Frozen this week, I realized just how much of that movie is her being TERRIFIED- her eyes are as wide as dinner plates for 90% of her scenes. It really gives off a unique presence, especially as the rest of the time she's so regal.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:15 am The "Elsa as a Lesbian" thing is a different ball of wax, perhaps ignoring that part of the POINT of Frozen was that "Sibling love is as important as romantic love", and simply going "Well she's not in a relationship, so CLEARLY she's a lesbian", as if Elsa was getting close to ANYONE in that movie. Idina Menzel herself pretty much said "I don't care one way or the other" (looking at prospective partners for Elsa in one talk show, they landed on Tinker Bell and she laughed, lol), and I'm in the same boat.
Yeah, with Elsa it's not really an issue because she doesn't show any romantic attraction to anyone in that film. She could be straight, bi or gay and it wouldn't contradict anything.

No one should really have an issue with a character being the sexuality they were intended to be. The only time I really care one way or another is when a character's sexuality is changed for "reasons".

As for the lack of gays in mainstream Disney films, part of that reason as I understand it is China. China has become a big source of income for films these days, and China is apparently actively against any king of non-heterosexuality in their films and television. It's much the same reason why the Mandarin and the Ancient One were changed in the MCU: if they want that China money, they can't do anything that might offend them.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:23 am Looking at Frozen Deleted Scenes is always fun- they went a LOT of potential routes in this film, and only deleted stuff at the very end. Not only was "Evil Elsa" done away with, but a subplot about "The Prophecy" of an ice-powered person bringing disaster was dropped (a big part was supposed to be whether or not the prophecy was Elsa).
That would have made the depth of the hostility toward her make more sense. I think they took that plot point out and never really... replaced it with anything.
"Evil Elsa": While I adore what we got, Idina would have made one HELL of a villain.
I'm telling you, your OC world needs a Doctor Doom.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:49 am
Jabroniville wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:23 am Looking at Frozen Deleted Scenes is always fun- they went a LOT of potential routes in this film, and only deleted stuff at the very end. Not only was "Evil Elsa" done away with, but a subplot about "The Prophecy" of an ice-powered person bringing disaster was dropped (a big part was supposed to be whether or not the prophecy was Elsa).
That would have made the depth of the hostility toward her make more sense. I think they took that plot point out and never really... replaced it with anything.
mmmm- well, the Duke DOES freak the hell out, and most of the others respond with some form of terror. I mean, they ARE pretty normal people in a seemingly normal universe, and suddenly a lady's firing out spikes like it's '90s comics. That's scary regardless of a prophecy or not. The Duke, in essence, replaces the "Fear of the Prophecy" with "HOLY SHIT A WITCH!!!"

Also, the way they went makes the metaphor for "othered" people much stronger- Elsa isn't feared because of a prophecy, she's feared because of who and what she IS, which I think makes for a much stronger, more sympathetic bent.
I'm telling you, your OC world needs a Doctor Doom.
LOL- I AM planning on lots of female villains. Hell, my "Smartest Person Alive" IS a female inventor character, and Hera and multiple Titans are evil, monstrous females. So I kinda got it covered... but I'll totes add more :).
Jabroniville

Olaf's Frozen Adventure

Post by Jabroniville »

Olaf's Frozen Adventure:
Oh thank God it was good. As Frozenmania continues unabated, I was fearful this'd be awful, as the Cash Grab is already underway in stores. The Merch has been pretty huge, with even goofy stuff like THE KITTEN being turned into collectible dolls, when it's there for like one scene. It used every character perfectly, though Kristoff is now getting known entirely as "That Quirky Weirdo".

They've hit a good balance with Elsa- she was a bit too silly in Frozen Fever, because of the comedic nature of the story, so there's this danger with her... she spends all of the original film in various states of distress, so "Happy Elsa" is something that feels out of character. Therefore, they did a good job making her very stoic, pensive and guilt-ridden over how she's ruined all their past Christmases. And because Elsa's so stoic and "nothing gets to me", and Idina Menzel has such great comic timing, "Funny Elsa" is actually REALLY good and takes you by surprise. Especially her reactions to Kristoff's gross traditions. Elsa's face when Anna goes "Woah- GROSS!" is HILARIOUS.

And thankfully Olaf was handled well. Last thing he was in was a one-off shot in Sofia the First, where he was just NON-STOP gags and rambling, which got old very fast. Too Much Olaf can be bad in the wrong hands, but this had the right level of slapstick and silliness, with a TON of really good jokes. The sight gags are fun, too (pooping out an entire fruitcake), and his "train of thought" style of speech is handled well ("-and then a hawk took it").

Best moment: "You know you're a Princess- you don't have to settle"

Best Actual Thing: ELSA'S FREAKING DRESS OH MY GOD LOOK AT THIS THING! It's almost a tragedy they didn't go for a "Full Dramatic Reveal" of it, as she just pops into a room wearing it like she'd always had it on. But holy crap- bare shoulders, animal fur collar, bejeweled front- they REALLY want you to buy that doll (of course I haven't. Haven't displayed it prominently in my bedroom, either).

The "Toyetic" nature of the thing will cause some eyes to roll, of course. One-off gags (the candy-cane nose; the kitten in the sweater) get full-blown stuffed animals, there's a doll set with every major character, plus a two-pack with Elsa & Anna, Christmas decorations, a friggin' CASTLE display... they REALLY want more of that sweet, sweet Frozen Merch in stores. Meanwhile, Coco only has a smidgen of stuff out- no more than your typical Disney/Pixar anything. I have to think that tying the Frozen juggernaut to Coco is a cynical attempt to boost what they feared might be more of a "niche" movie with a Minority Cast (which typically don't sell as well as White Princesses or Animals).

One note: the Frozen short is TWENTY MINUTES LONG, which means that kids are sitting in the theatre for a two-hour run-time. Apparently it's causing some annoyance with parents of antsy children. That's a long time to ask them to sit down. Especially since Frozen and Coco aren't QUITE the same genre.
Jabroniville

Elsa the Fire Queen

Post by Jabroniville »

My pyre rages from air into the grouuuuuund!
My soul is spiraling in burning embers all around!
And one thought conflagra-ates like an fiery blast!
I'm never going back,
The past is in the past!

Let it burn! Let it burn!
And I'll rise like the break of dawn
Let it burn! Let it burn!
That perfect girl is gone!

Here I stand
In the light of day
Let the storm rage ONNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!
The heat never bothered me anyway!

ELSA THE FIRE QUEEN
Played by:
Idina Menzel
Role: Disney Princess Turned Queen, The Ultimate Outsider, Girl With a Secret, Uncontrollable Elementalist
PL 10 (304)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+7)
Deception 5 (+7)
Expertise (Royalty) 5 (+8)
Expertise (Singing) 14 (+16)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 2 (+4)
Persuasion 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Benefit 4 (Queen of Arendelle), Great Endurance, Ranged Attack 2, Startle

Powers:
"Eternal Heatwave" (All Powers Linked)
"Heatstroke" Affliction 4 (Fort; Fatigued/Exhausted/Incapacitated) (Extras: Reaction +3, Area- 120ft. Burst +3) (Flaws: Uncontrolled) [24]
"Melt Stuff" Weaken Toughness 8 (Extras: Affects Objects Only +0, Reaction +3, Area- 120ft. Burst +3) (Flaws: Uncontrolled) [48]
"The Fire Burns Bright on the Mountain Tonight" Environment 14 (30 miles; Heat 2) (Flaws: Uncontrolled) Linked to Visual Dazzles 4 (Extras: Reaction +3, Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Touch Range) [38]

"The Heat Never Bothered Me Anyway"
Immunity 10 (Heat Effects) [10]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Extreme Heat/Volcanos) [2]
Movement 1 (Water-Walking) (Flaws: Limited to Lava) [1]
Enhanced Skills 8: Athletics 8 (+15) (Flaws: Limited to Within Volcanic Terrain) [2]
Enhanced Advantages 1: Quick Change [1]

"Volcanic Castle in the Mountains" Create 10 (Feats: Innate, Precise 2- Friggin' Gorgeous) (Extras: Continuous) (33) -- [38]
  • AE: "Overheating" Affliction 10 (Extras: Reaction +3) (Flaws: Uncontrolled) (30)
  • AE: "Flames" Damage 9 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (18)
  • AE: "Pool of Lava" Damage 9 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2, Ranged) (Flaws: Limited to Grounded Targets) (18)
  • AE: "Flame Eruption" Damage 9 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (18)
  • AE: "Burning Fractals" Move Object 8 (Feats: Precise) (Extras: Perception Range) (Flaws: Limited to Lava & Igneous Rock) (17)
  • AE: "Burning Heart" Affliction 10 (Fort; Fatigued/Exhausted/Transformed to Flame Creature) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Progressive +2) (Flaws: Uncontrolled, Limited to 1 Rank Per Minute) (20)
Summon Lava Monster 7 (Extras: Heroic +2, 2 Minions +2, Variable- Lava Men, Continuous) [56]

"Fire Blocking"
Enhanced Dodge 4 [4]
Enhanced Advantages 1: Uncanny Dodge [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Overheating +3 (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Heatstroke +4 Area (+4 Weaken, DC 14)
Melt +8 Area (+8 Weaken, DC 18)
Burning Heart +10 Area (+10 Weaken, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (+8 Fire Blocking, DC 14-18), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +2, Fortitude +5, Will +7

Complications:
Secret (A Fiery Personality)- Elsa's burning gift was known only to her parents (Anna was brainwashed to forget such a thing for her own safety) and the Trolls, and she has been isolating herself from the rest of the world to prevent her dark and dangerous secret from coming out. She wears gloves to prevent her hands from automatically melting objects on contact.
Responsibility (Conceal, Don't Feel)- Elsa's powers mean that she cannot interact with others. She is intensely lonely, but knows that she cannot open up to others, lest her secret get out or she injures them. Her powers are linked to her emotional state- she must maintain extreme calm at all times, or else they will go out of control. Anger, fear (the key component of her powers unleashing themselves... particularly nasty because of how much she fears her own powers or disappointing others), nervousness, even love... she must restrain them all, preventing anyone from gazing upon her burning heart. Even her lava creations will take shape to reflect her mood- her beautiful castle soon turns jagged, red and ugly when she's enraged or terrified.
Motivation (A Kingdom of Isolation)- Elsa has been isolated for so long, forced to withhold all of her emotions, that she longs for a place to call her own. When her powers are uncovered and she's chased away from her very own coronation, she flees into the mountains, where she finally lets her restrained emotions go in a glorious display. Now, happier than she's ever been, all she wants to do is be left alone, and never have to hurt (or see) another living soul.
---
Relationship (Anna)- Anna & Elsa loved playing together as children, but then one day, Elsa injured her sister, and was forced to hide away to avoid doing so again- she couldn't even tell Anna why. While Anna desperately tries to get through to her beloved sister, Elsa refuses for Anna's own safety, and to protect her own secret.
Responsibility (Arendelle)- With the deaths of the girls' parents three years previous, Elsa became the regent of Arendelle, their small kingdom. Finally coming of age, her subjects are now her responsibility, and she has many duties to uphold- many of which involve her ineracting with others. She gives a desperate, worried look at the portrait of her death father, the King, feeling the full weight of it.
Power Loss (Fire Powers)- Elsa's gloves can partially restrain her growing powers- she can avoid burning things by wearing confining gloves, and anything covering her hands appears to slow down her powers. Alas, the effects are only temporary, and her powers will slowly grow over such simple constraints.
Guilt (Monstrous Power)- Elsa's powers have injured her sister twice now, and have caused a terrible curse to fall over Arendelle. She believes herself to be a danger to everyone around her, and a monster.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 231 / Defenses: 10 (304)

-With Elsa instantly becoming the most-popular character on DeviantArt within about a week of Frozen's release, it seemed inevitable that other variants of the character would pop up. Probably the most-popular was the concept of Fire Elsa, taking the same concept and becoming more... fiery with it. The powers are sort of the same, with a few modifications (the Castle is probably made out of some fancy shiny volcanic rock or something). Also her powers become a bit more horrifying in concept- it's a LOT easier to imagine the peasantry reacting with horror to her might.
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

I feel like she would have a very different signature song.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.