Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ken

Re: Gaston

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:09 pm -Despite being a mere human, Gaston is remarkably strong- he can effortlessly lift THREE floozies above his head with a single arm; all while flexing with the other!
I was hoping we were going to see builds for the bimbettes.

No, not a gaming write-up, just their builds.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

The Genie

Post by Jabroniville »

THE GENIE
Played by:
Robin Williams, Dan Castellaneta (second film & TV series)
Role: The Buddy, Comic Relief, Wish-Granter
PL 13 (597)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Expertise (Magic) 8 (+10)
Expertise (History) 8 (+10)
Expertise (Singing & Dancing) 8 (+12)
Insight 2 (+6)
Intimidation 6 (+10)
Perception 2 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Diehard, Great Endurance, Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
"PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!!!!"
Flight 8 (500 mph) [16]
Immunity 11 (Aging, Life Support) [11]
Senses 4 (Precognition) (Flaws: Limited to Pop Culture) [2]
"Toon-ish Physiology" Regeneration 4 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [5]

"Takes Any Form" Shapeshifting 9 [72]
(sample forms: Horse, Camel, Elephant, Rodney Dangerfield, William F. Buckley, Jack Nicholson, Peter Lorre As a Zombie, 200-foot tall Genie)

"Wish-Granter" Variable (Any Wish Asked For) 42 (Extras: Affects Others, Continuous) (Quirks: Cannot Take Changes Back Without a Wish) [377]
sample powers:
Create 10 (Feats: Precise) (Extras: Continuous, Movable) (41)
Summon 6 (Extras: 128 Minions +14, Horde, Variable 2- Genies, Harem Girls, Elephants & Other Junk) (114)
Transformation- Affliction 12 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Transformed) (Extras: Ranged, Continuous +3) (60)
Change to Genie- The Affects Others Bit, costing about 210 points for The Genie's powers)
Change to Sorceror- Like above, but lesser
Change to Prince or Sultan- Affects Others Advantages- Benefit (Prince/Sultan)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Giant Genie +7 (+19 Damage, DC 24)
Transform +8 (+12 Ranged Affliction, DC 22)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +10, Fortitude +12, Will +8

Complications:
Responsibility (The Rules)- The Genie can't (or won't) kill anybody, resurrect someone, or make someone fall in love. Also, no wishing for more wishes.
Weakness ("itty-bitty living space")- Genie will always be forced to grant three wishes for anyone holding his lamp, no matter how evil they are. Destroying the Lamp may also kill a Genie.
Relationship (Aladdin)- The Genie switches between treating Al like a son, or flirting with him (seriously). He's quite attached to the lad.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 483 / Defenses: 14 (597)

-The Genie was pretty much defined by his original Voice Actor, Robin Williams, who brought his particular cocaine-driven comedic sensibilities and improv to the character (many lines of dialogue apparently read "whatever Robin says"), creating a sensation and the movie's most popular and enduring character. Genie acts wild, silly, Jewish (the animator, Eric Goldberg, deliberately did this AND found Williams using Yiddish phrases with the character- a Jewish creator putting Jewish characters into Hollywood productions! Will wonders never cease!) and ultimately rather loyal to Aladdin, and in his quieter moments we discover him to be a fountain of solid advice and thoughtful sensibilities (like when he wishes to be free).

-He's a heck of a mimic of celebrities who wouldn't be born for quite some time, and some were rather obscure- I mean, how many kids in 1992 would have heard of WILLIAM F. BUCKLEY (someone I had to look up on Wikipedia)?? And did any character in history ever get an introduction like HIS? Never Had a Friend Like Me is amazing, full of Broadway/Huckster-style bombast, explaining just what kind of character The Genie was immediately, and it's one of the movie's show-stopping numbers. To the point where the Broadway Musical more or less uses it as the "may as well just give this actor the Tony right now" number.

-As you would expect, Genie is QUITE expensive, packing his trademark "PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER" into an Affects Others Variable set-up, as well as having Shapeshifting powers for another batch of stuff, and assorted other powers. I'm not sure how TOUGH he's supposed to be, but let's suppose he's quite difficult to injure overall. Turning someone into a Genie is a bit complicated, as technically Genies can ALSO create more Genies, so I think the math would make my brain hurt after a point (it's like... the cost of Affects Others makes the total cost higher... which makes Affects Others cost more... but then the base cost of the Genie's POWERS increase, requiring MORE ranks of the Variable... I think), so I just threw out a big solid number and figured that'd do it- it's not like I'm mincing points on cost here. Despite his vast power, Genie still can't use his powers to kill others, so his offensive capabilities are a bit limited.

About the Performer: Robin Williams is one of the best "Gets" Disney ever got for its animated stuff, with his already-cartoonish voice and surprisingly emotional acting style combining together for one hell of a performance. Williams is of course a legend, having made his bones as "Mork From Ork" for Mork and Mindy (after a successful cameo on Happy Days), then going on to HUGE success in films. His roles weren't always critically beloved (Popeye was a bomb), but he shocked people by being perfect for a lot of dramas- comedians, after all, are masters of inflection, timing and language. It's harder to be funny than it is to be dramatic, so people need to stop being surprised when a comedian turns out to be great at the latter- the same skills are required. Williams also trained at Juilliard, which is nearly impossible to get into.

-Williams was in basically EVERYTHING, and had a lot of ups and downs over the years. His hits were big (he was in Mrs. Doubtfire, Aladdin and Jumanji in quick succession), but his bombs were also pretty numerous. The whole "Tears of a Clown" thing seems to have affected him greatly, and he was infamous for being very quiet when he was "off", as his wildman act was just that- a persona he put on. His prospects dried up a lot with age, and he got a rep for not being funny anymore, which became all the more tragic when he took his own life in 2014- something his wife attributes to the onset of a form of Parkinson's disease which would pretty much have turned him into a physical and mental wreck. It says something when people who have the same condition are like "yeah, I can see that" to somebody who may just not have wanted to deal with it.

THE GENIE (Post-Movie)
Played by:
Robin Williams, Dan Castellaneta (second film & TV series)
Role: The Buddy, Comic Relief, Wish-Granter
PL 10 (239)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Expertise (Magic) 8 (+10)
Expertise (History) 8 (+10)
Expertise (Singing & Dancing) 8 (+12)
Insight 2 (+6)
Intimidation 6 (+10)
Perception 2 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Diehard, Great Endurance, Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
"Semi-Phenomenal Cosmic Power"
Flight 8 (500 mph) [16]
Immunity 11 (Aging, Life Support) [11]
Senses 4 (Precognition) (Flaws: Limited to Pop Culture) [2]
"Toon-ish Physiology" Regeneration 4 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [5]

"Takes Any Form" Shapeshifting 7 [56]
(sample forms: Horse, Camel, Elephant, Rodney Dangerfield, William F. Buckley, Jack Nicholson, Peter Lorre As a Zombie)

"Reduced Magic"
Create 8 (Feats: Precise) (Extras: Continuous, Movable) (33) -- [35]
  • AE: Transformation- Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Transformed) (Extras: Ranged) (16)
  • AE: Magical Blast 8 (16)
Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Transform +8 (+6 Ranged Affliction, DC 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +10, Fortitude +12, Will +8

Complications:
Responsibility (The Rules)- The Genie can't (or won't) kill anybody, resurrect someone, or make someone fall in love. Also, no wishing for more wishes.
Weakness ("itty-bitty living space")- Genie will always be forced to grant three wishes for anyone holding his lamp, no matter how evil they are. Destroying the Lamp may also kill a Genie.
Relationship (Aladdin)- The Genie switches between treating Al like a son, or flirting with him (seriously). He's quite attached to the lad.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 125 / Defenses: 14 (239)

-The latter-day Genie was still quite powerful, but dramatically-weaker than the movie version, making him more of a fit for the PL 7 Aladdin and the gang. He's STILL quite powerful, but not a game-changer. Did he even throw out Magic Blasts or anything like that? I'm not even sure if he could still Transform stuff.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab's Builds! (Belle! The Beast! Gaston! Aladdin! Jasmine!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

One funny thing about Post-Movie Genie, though..despite being explictily weaker than his old self, he could still pull of stuff like
turning into an entire army as well as an ED-209 knockoff, at least in the third movie. (Youtube link)
Rule of Funny, I guess. And he certainly did still fire magic blasts, from what I recall, Also, because it's relevant and shows Genie doing stuff (as well as Jafar singing and doing genie things): "You're Only Second Rate"
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

heh. i wondered if Jab was going to include the Kim K cosplay of Jasmine and he did.
Flynnarrel

Re: Jab's Builds! (Belle! The Servants! The Beast! Gaston!)

Post by Flynnarrel »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:01 pm One last thing about Gaston- the magnificent Me from the Broadway show: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VyYsW2_Ar2Y

Though Susan Egan is so iconic to me as ANOTHER Disney character that it’s weird for me to hear her as another.

Gaston:
You've been dreaming, just one dream
Nearly all your life
Hoping, scheming, just one theme:
Will you be a wife?
Will you be some he-man's property?
Good news! That he-man's me!
This equation, girl plus man
Doesn't help just you
On occasion, women can
Have their uses too
Mainly to extend the fam'ly tree
Pumpkin, extend with me!
Gaston:
We'll be raising sons galore
Belle:
Inconceivable!
Gaston:
Each built six foot four!
Belle:
Unbelievable!
Gaston:
Each stuffed with ev'ry Gaston gene!
Belle:
I'm not hearing this!
Gaston:
You'll be keeping house with pride!
Belle:
Just incredible!
Gaston:
Oh so gratified
Belle:
So unweddable!
Gaston:
That you are a part of this idyllic scene.
Gaston:
Picture this: A rustic hunting lodge,
my latest kill roasting over the fire,
my little wife massaging my feet, while
the little ones play on the floor with the dogs.
We'll have six or seven!
Belle:
Dogs?
Gaston:
No, Belle! Strapping boys...like me!
Belle:
Imagine that!
Gaston:
I can see that we will share
All that love implies
We shall be a perfect pair
Rather like my thighs
You are face to face with destiny!
All roads lead to...
The best things in life are...
All's well that ends with me!
Escape me? There's no way
Certain as "Do, Re,"
Belle, when you marry...
Gaston:
So Belle, what would it be?
Is it "yes", or is it "oh, yes"?
Belle:
I...I just don't deserve you!
Gaston:
Who does?
ME!
I did a mash-up of this song with C'est Moi (Lancelot's song from Camelot), and sprinkled in a little bit from Captain Hammer. It came out really well.
"Something pithy this way comes."
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

The Genie could still do things like blasts or transform things to the best of my memory, but he just wasn't as powerful all around. Plus he could be tricked into going into a small bottle and trapped like with the Riders of Rahmon (SP?) episode and could be affected by reality altering spells. There was one episode where a sometimes foe/friend named Sadira altered the timeline to make HER the Princess and Jasmine a street rat, with no one but the animals Iago, Abu, and Rajah noticing anything was amiss as the spell didn't affect them. He did temporarily defeat a gigantic T-Rex(kiaju sized thing) but it was only temporary as he wasn't the one fated to ultimately beat it (I think Abu was). And there were plenty of things he had no way of dealing with like Genie Hunters and entities much much more powerful than him like Chaos (who terrified one of the major villains on that show, Mirage).
Jabroniville

Jafar

Post by Jabroniville »

JAFAR
Played by:
Jonathan Freeman
Role: The Evil Vizier, Effeminate Disney Villain
PL 5 (96), PL 6 (96) Defenses
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 10 (+12)
Expertise (Magic) 9 (+13)
Expertise (Politics) 5 (+9)
Expertise (Singing) 4 (+6)
Insight 4 (+8)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Investigation 4 (+8)
Perception 3 (+7)
Persuasion 8 (+10)
Stealth 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Artificer, Benefit 2 (Vizier), Daze (Deception), Equipment 2 (Magic Stuff- Smoke Cloud Vial & Junk), Ranged Attack 4, Ritualist

Powers:
"Cobra Staff" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [5]
Affliction 6 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled) (Feats: Reach 2) (Extras: Cumulative) (Flaws: Vision-Dependent) (8 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Cobra Staff +4 (+6 Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- Jafar is a high-level Vizier certainly, but he craves more- he wishes for The Lamp (and the power it allows him), supreme magical might, the Sultanship, and more. His mad lust for ever-expanding power is his ultimate downfall.
Relationship (Jasmine)- Jafar initially wants to marry Jasmine only for the power the marriage will bring him, but he soon becomes attracted to her, and his lust clouds his judgement.
Responsibility (Psychopath)- Jafar is amoral and cares for no one but himself- though he is usually reserved, he enjoys watching others suffer, and often lashes out physically against those weaker than him.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 52--26 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 5 / Defenses: 8 (96)

-Jafar is a pretty classic case of an Effeminate Male Disney Villain, though he's also one of the lustier ones. He wears a sharp-looking suit with pointy edges (to make him look more sinister), and uses EYESHADOW of all things, and is generally the most cliched Evil Vizier character in history (any RPG I ever play, I go straight for the vizier upon first meeting him), but they make it work due to sheer sliminess. Jafar basically acts as evil as humanly possible, schemes in the worst way (as the power behind the throne, he's ALREADY one of the most powerful men in all of Agrabah, yet he constantly seeks out more power), and sets up his own defeat over sheer power-hungriness. Despite lacking a good song (one was written, but never used for the final production), he's one of the most popular Disney Villains- second only to Maleficent, according to some countdowns. As good as Jonathan Freeman (who I've never heard of) was in the role, the fact that he could have been played by PATRICK STEWART (who was unfortunately too busy, which he regrets eternally) fills my nerd's heart with sadness as to what could have been.

-The character is based off of the Jafar from The Thief of Bagad, a 1940s movie, and even resembles the actor, Conrad Veidt. Freeman had auditioned for many past Disney films and was known to Menken & Ashman, and loved the characters "heavy-lidded" eyes and other visual traits, and so campaigned heavily for the role. He performed it mostly by himself for months, having been cast way ahead of anybody else- Andreas Deja- Jafar's animator- was shocked to find so little visual similarity to the character (Freeman is a tall, heavyset white guy). As one of the most powerful Disney Villains, the character appears in tons of line-ups as a major element of the story.

-Jafar is dangerous as a schemer, but lacks real power- his only real Magical Stuff is a Ritual to discover the "Diamond in the Rough", hypnotising The Sultan, and throwing down the Magic equivalent of a Smoke Grenade to escape capture. He's not even that great a fighter, as Aladdin effortlessly grabs his Cobra Staff from him.

About the Performer: Jonathan Freeman has made a bit of a career out of playing Jafar, to the point where the Broadway-trained actor was also the creator of the role on BROADWAY, too! Keep in mind that more than twenty years separates the film version from the Broadway show. He's mostly seen on the stage, where he's quite respected (being nominated for a Tony), not to mention a regular for Disney productions (he was Cogsworth and Grimsby in other shows).

JAFAR- THE MOST POWERFUL SORCERER ALIVE
Played by:
Jonathan Freeman
Role: The Evil Vizier, Effeminate Disney Villain
PL 10 (220)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 10 (+12)
Expertise (Magic) 9 (+13)
Expertise (Politics) 5 (+9)
Expertise (Singing) 4 (+6)
Insight 4 (+8)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Investigation 4 (+8)
Perception 3 (+7)
Persuasion 8 (+10)
Stealth 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Artificer, Benefit 2 (Vizier), Daze (Deception), Equipment 2 (Magic Stuff- Smoke Cloud Vial & Junk), Ranged Attack 4, Ritualist

Powers:
"Magical Might"
"Shapeshift Others" Affliction 10 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Transformed) (Feats: Accurate 2) (Extras: Ranged, Progressive +2) (42) -- [47]
  • AE: Blast 10 (Feats: Accurate 2) (22)
  • AE: "Giant Sand-Vial" Create 8 (Feats: Precise) (Extras: Movable) (25)
  • AE: Move Object 10 (20)
  • AE: "Drown in Sand" Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Progressive +2, Ranged) (32)
  • AE: "Unravel Carpet" Weaken Toughness 8 (Extras: Ranged) (16)
"Shapeshifting" Variable 12 (Shapeshifted Forms) [84]
sample form: Giant Cobra
Growth 8 (Str & Sta +8, +8 Mass, +4 Intimidation, -4 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -8 Stealth) -- (24 feet) (Extras: Permanent +0) (16)
Reach 1 (1)
Enhanced Fighting 4 (8)
Enhanced Skills 2: Intimidation 2 (+10 size) (1)
Speed 1 (8 mph) (1)
Movement 1 (Slithering) (2)
"Poison" Weaken Stamina 8 (Extras: Progressive +2) (Quirks: Takes a Few Rounds to Start Working -1) (23)
Senses 3 (Acute Infravision, Scent) (3)
Morph 1 (Snake Form) (5)
-- (60 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Giant Cobra +8 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Poison +8 (+8 Weaken, DC 18)
Blast +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Shapeshift Others +10 (+10 Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +2 (+10 Giant Cobra), Fortitude +4, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- Jafar is a high-level Vizier certainly, but he craves more- he wishes for The Lamp (and the power it allows him), supreme magical might, the Sultanship, and more. His mad lust for ever-expanding power is his ultimate downfall.
Relationship (Jasmine)- Jafar initially wants to marry Jasmine only for the power the marriage will bring him, but he soon becomes attracted to her, and his lust clouds his judgement.
Responsibility (Psychopath)- Jafar is amoral and cares for no one but himself- though he is usually reserved, he enjoys watching others suffer, and often lashes out physically against those weaker than him.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 52--26 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 131 / Defenses: 8 (220)

-Once Jafar gains the powers of a might sorceror (his first wish), he becomes a MUCH more dangerous threat, easily being able to defeat multiple members of the gang at once. His Giant Cobra form challenges Aladdin to a fight, though is noticeably rather inaccurate- he can't get much of a hit, though Jafar was hardly a fighter in his basic form).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spectrum

Re: Jab's Builds! (Beast! Gaston! Aladdin! Jasmine! Genie! Jafar!

Post by Spectrum »

Conrad Veidt, Conrad Veidt, where do I know that name from? Oooooooh! He's one of the major influences for the Joker!

We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

So I got some plans for the post-Disney stuff in October-ish. Probably the “C” section of Marvel. Plus there’s been two Overwatch characters and three Street Fighter characters since I last statted out those groups, so that’s a thing.

How ‘bout big projects, though... Mortal Kombat is sorta due. Checking my past builds, Mario Bros. are due as well. The DC Animated Universe is a big one, but of course I have nothing new to add to that. Votes?
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I'd heard a rumor that Jafar was designed by a woman well into her pregnancy, and basically channeled all of the discomfort she was feeling (cramps, hormones, etc.) into Jafar's design to create the most loathsome person she could think of.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Iago

Post by Jabroniville »

IAGO
Played by:
Gilbert Gottfried
Role: Villainous Sidekick, Sneaky Bastard
PL 3 (42)
STRENGTH
-3 STAMINA -1 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+1)
Deception 6 (+6)
Expertise (Survival) 1 (+1)
Perception 2 (+2)
Sleight of Hand 5 (+5)
Stealth 0 (+1, +9 Size)

Advantages:
Evasion, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Improved Hold

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Extended, Ultra & Low-Light Vision) [3]
"Natural Weapons- Talons & Beak" Strength-Damage +2 [2]
Flight 3 (16 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [3]

"Mimic" Features 1: Can Mimic Voices He's Heard Prior [1]

"Small Size" Shrinking 8 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [17]
(-2 Strength & Speed, +4 Defenses, +8 Stealth, -4 Intimidation)

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (-3 Damage, DC 12)
Beak +2 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness -1, Fortitude +0, Will +2

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Iago cannot easily manipulate objects.
Responsibility (Jafar)- Iago is Jafar's Minion, and has to do what he says. He's actually treated slightly better than most Disney Minions, being horribly abused only occasionally.

Total: Abilities: 0 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 26 / Defenses: 3 (42)

-Iago was a pretty good Villainous Sidekick, being portrayed with ridiculously over-the-top vocal characteristics by Gilbert Gottfried (who'd get more notorious later on as a guy on the Comedy Central Roasts, with an infamous "Bob Saget RAPED AND KILLED A GIRL IN 1990!!" routine). Funnily enough, Iago's popularity leads to him becoming a recurring character, unlike his late boss. He turns good, despite advocating several counts of first-degree murder in the first film, and kills Jafar to end his threat permanently. Lindsay Ellis points out that the second Aladdin film isn't really that bad, and Iago actually presents an interesting character in it.
Jabroniville

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Post by Jabroniville »

NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS (1993):
Written by:
Tim Burton (original story), Caroline Thompson (screenplay), Michael McDowell (adaptation)

-What's become one of Disney's most popular holiday-themed ANYTHING (seriously, check any Disney Store between August and January now), this film came about from a simple Short Story by Tim Burton, who then passed off basically the ENTIRE JOB to director Henry Selick, while taking all the credit himself. Granted, the whole style and culture of the film is essentially Burton's doing, but it's kind of unfair how that worked out. Selick basically does an "It was what it was" kind of thing, saying that Burton's hand was in it, but he maybe spent ten days on the whole production, as he was distracted with Batman Returns and Ed Wood at the time.

The story is very subsersive, as if directly targeted towards the nascent Goth community, and bitter pre-teens. It's all about TRYING to be nice and give people gifts, but the whole cast is full of weirdos, monsters and lunatics, so it comes off very cynical and freaky. I remember the advertisements very well, showing the kid terrifying his parents with the SHRUNKEN HEAD he got for Christmas- every kid's dream: Gross stuff and offended parents.

I actually never saw it as a kid- kind of an age thing (I was twelve, but my siblings were much younger), plus my parents never got it. So watching it as an adult, I was like "ah, so THIS is the full story", as I'd really only known the one song (What's This?). Jack Skellington, the person in charge of Halloween Town, tries to take over Christmas as well, but he and his citizens are so bad at it that they just end up making a mess of things, terrifying humanity and nearly getting Jack blown up by the American military. Ultimately, Jack learns that he should stick with his own kind and not try to better himself (um... maybe?). Overall, I'd say the movie has more STYLE than a terrific plot, but sometimes that's all you really need. It just LOOKS cool and has memorable characters.

Oh, and there's a love story! A tacked-on, pretty "bleh" love story. I mean, Sally just kind of loves Jack from afar, because he appears morose over his lot in life, but he dismisses all of her advice, then hugs her when it turns out she's right. Honestly, the big draw here are the songs by Danny Elfman, though only one is REALLY memorable. The opening song (Halloween Town) is quite good, though. I never got into Oogie-Boogie's jazz number.

Reception & Cultural Impact:
-The movie did quite well, doubling its budget in one shot, but CULTURALLY, it was vastly more impactful. This damn thing is EVERYWHERE. What's This? became one of Disney's most-recognizable songs of the '90s, and the Merch is now everywhere in Disney Stores. How big is it? Disney remakes THE HAUNTED MANSION in its image every year from the end of summer to January 1st, in both California & Tokyo. As both parks are more focused around "Local Passholders", they do a lot more things to "shake things up" and alter what's been there for years- something Florida- a much bigger beacon of tourism- never does. But Halloween-time experiences (parades and fireworks shows) are expected to feature the cast prominently (Zero the dog floats above the castle during Disneyland's Halloween shows). Accordingly, Face Characters are meet-able in the parks- the Sally actresses are so good at the "stumbling" gate that I legitimately thought one was falling down before I recognized the distinctive appearance. The distinctive... strangely sexy appearance...

Oogie-Boogie now apepars on California Adventure's main gate for four months, despite him being in the film only briefly- he was also a big part of the first Kingdom Hearts game, along with the rest of the cast- that game REALLY knew its target audience well, as the fans were exactly the right age to have loved this film.

The movie's one of the few Disney flicks people who shit on Disney are okay with publicly liking. Most of the Goths I knew loved it as well- it's the closest thing to a mainstream version of what they like. The subsersive subject matter and grotesque humor are right up their alleys. Burton himself has resisted attempts to make sequels, figuring (probably correctly) that the first movie's simplicity was a strength, and that sequels into Thanksgiving Town or whatever would probably fail to live up to the first movie's unique character. Some video games that are sorta-sequels have been made, of course.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

HalloweenJack wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:35 pm heh. i wondered if Jab was going to include the Kim K cosplay of Jasmine and he did.
That woman frustrates me so much. She represents everything abhorrent about celebrity worship, money-for-nothing, fame for fame's sake and ridiculous attempts at getting attention... but she was literally the perfect woman physically. It's SO INSANE AND UNFAIR.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:58 pm One funny thing about Post-Movie Genie, though..despite being explictily weaker than his old self, he could still pull of stuff like
turning into an entire army as well as an ED-209 knockoff, at least in the third movie. (Youtube link)
Rule of Funny, I guess. And he certainly did still fire magic blasts, from what I recall, Also, because it's relevant and shows Genie doing stuff (as well as Jafar singing and doing genie things): "You're Only Second Rate"
Yeah, he's still got a lot of ranks of Shapeshift, so he can still do plenty of things. Some of which can be stunts or Illusion or something :).
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:39 am
HalloweenJack wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:35 pm heh. i wondered if Jab was going to include the Kim K cosplay of Jasmine and he did.
That woman frustrates me so much. She represents everything abhorrent about celebrity worship, money-for-nothing, fame for fame's sake and ridiculous attempts at getting attention... but she was literally the perfect woman physically. It's SO INSANE AND UNFAIR.
She did have a great figure, but now she and one of the other sisters have such a preposterously huge ass in comparison to their bodies they actually look deformed.

I know your a self-confessed 'Disney-phile' but is that strictly for the animated movies or are you a fan of (and therefore can we expect builds from) any of the Disney live action movies?
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'