Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
HalloweenJack

Re: Jab's Builds! (Aurora! Phillip! The Fairies! Maleficent! Cruella de Vil!)

Post by HalloweenJack »

KorokoMystia wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:15 pm Merlin also appears in Kingdom Hearts, but he doesn't do a lot, and you never go to a Sword in the Stone themed world. Also, somehow now I'm remembering that King Arthur And The Knights of Justice was a thing..And then there was the strangeness of A Kid In King Arthur's Court, which was even a Disney live action film..and it had a young Daniel Craig in it, long before he became famous for being Bond.
I think Kate Winslet is in there too

And there was another Disney King Arthur movie....A Spaceman in King Arthur's Court, where an astronaut and his android double get thrown back into Camelot and it turns out Merlin is a charlatan trying to actively depose Arthur. I haven't seen that in probably close to 30 years though.

Anyway I love the Sword in the Stone. just rewatched it recently and it still works for me. Not the most dynamic movie, but it works for me. That dingus Kay who bullied Arthur was actually a knight in the Arthurian cannon, so I look at that as he was a douche because he was young but changed as time went on.

....on the subject of Maleficent...yeah the live action movie was a bad idea. Sometimes telling something from a different point of view can be refreshing but it did lay alooooooot on really thick and broadly there. I wasn't a fan of the fairies being idiots for example.

That said, I honestly think Angelina Jolie did pretty well with what she was given. She's not a bad actress really and I kinda liked her arc, even if I am opposed to Maleficent ever being good to begin with. She was kinda naive at first, and that betrayal at the expense of her naivety left her bitter and angry, but the anger slowly fades and she sort of realizes "Ya know what? I'm kind of being an asshole about this whole cursing that kid thing. I mean she's actually a decent, even virtuous person".

It just would have worked better with characters and a setting that were originals and weren't so iconic to begin with. It gives me the same kind of feeling Wicked does (sorry Jab but that's how I feel): I get it, it COULD work in different context, but for me and most other people it just doesn't.

That said Ares, I think she does turn into the dragon at the end. Not quite as big or remotely nightmare fuelish, but it's there.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

*gasp*!! First, you dislike my precious Fairies, then you correct me on Victoria Smurfit’s age, and NOW you deride my beloved Wicked?!?

DEAD TO ME
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

She transforms her crow into a dragon rather than becoming one herself
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Ares wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:20 am She transforms her crow into a dragon rather than becoming one herself
Well it's been a while.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:19 am *gasp*!! First, you dislike my precious Fairies, then you correct me on Victoria Smurfit’s age, and NOW you deride my beloved Wicked?!?

DEAD TO ME
Hey I'm still into all the fetishy stuff you are too.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Oh, my initial link to the Animaniacs-style song about animal groups was dead. I apologize for that grievous oversight. Everyone must now immediately watch the corrected link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vM32AWfs8K0
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

HalloweenJack wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:24 am
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:19 am *gasp*!! First, you dislike my precious Fairies, then you correct me on Victoria Smurfit’s age, and NOW you deride my beloved Wicked?!?

DEAD TO ME
EVEN THE PEGGING??

I mean, um... hahahahahaha!!! Just kidding! Totally got you there :)!! I’m not into that at all!!
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:26 am
HalloweenJack wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:24 am

DEAD TO ME
EVEN THE PEGGING??

I mean, um... hahahahahaha!!! Just kidding! Totally got you there :)!! I’m not into that at all!!

....riiiiiiiiiight
Jabroniville

Madam Mim

Post by Jabroniville »

MADAM MIM
Played By:
Martha Wentworth
Role: One-Off Villain
PL 8 (139)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 6 (+8)
Expertise (Magic) 9 (+11)
Insight 3 (+7)
Perception 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 4, Ritualist

Powers:
"Wizard"
"Transform Herself & Others" Variable 10 (Shapeshifting Forms) (Extras: Affects Others) (80) -- [82]
  • AE: Move Object 5 (10)
  • AE: Flight 6 (120 mph) (12)
Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Animal Forms +7 (-4 to +9 Damage, DC 11-24)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +1 (+9 Animal Forms), Fortitude +3, Will +6

Complications:
Power Loss (Magic)- Madam Mim must be able to gesture and speak to cast spells.
Responsibility (Evil)- Mim seeks to corrupt young Arthur, seeing all things good and wholesome to be atrocious.

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 82 / Defenses: 12 (139)

-Madam Mim is an odd Disney Villain- one of the very few who's practically vanished from the face of the Earth, never appearing in Villain-related Merch. Part of the issue is that she's in the movie for only a one-off bit of business- it'd be like basing a lot of stuff around Tamatoa from Moana- she's a Mini-Boss, not the final event. The character appears in the original version of the Sword in the Stone novel, but not the final cut. She's a funny weirdo, but her design falls a bit short compared to truly zany people like Cruella de Vil and Madame Medusa. She nonetheless appears in the Dutch Donald Duck comics, frequently teaming up with Magica DeSpell.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

In my headcannon,Mim turned out to be Mama from the Adams Family(having married Merlin and giving birth to Morticia)...
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

For completists, Madam Mim is a totally new build. Okay, so she's basically just "Merlin minus some stuff", but close enough :). I wanted to be more thorough this time around.

The Sword in the Stone, as I mentioned, is one of the only Disney Animated Canon examples in which the original story is MUCH more famous than the Disney version. It helps that there's been hundreds of stories and FanFics (fun fact: Apparently MOST of the Arthurian legends are a combination of FanFic and Marvel/DC-style "new writers taking over" stuff) about Arthur set before this, and both Arthur & Merlin are among the most famous characters in pre-1900 fiction. Hell, Disney's version even leaves out Morgan, Mordredd, Lancelot, Guinevere, etc. Nowadays, if Disney does one, no way does it not turn into a kind of "every character shows up" sort of deal.
Jabroniville

The Jungle Book

Post by Jabroniville »

THE JUNGLE BOOK (1967):
Written by:
Rudyard Kipling (original), Larry Clemmons, Ralph Wright, Ken Anderson, Vance Gerry, Bill Peet

-The Jungle Book was the first film released after Walt's death, though he had a big hand in the production of the feature.

This one feels a bit funny, because it's almost as much of a collection of shorts as some of the earlier Disney work, albeit with an overarching plotline: while trying to delivery the 10-year old Mowgli to a man-village so he can avoid the wrath of man-hating Shere Khan, Bagheera & the boy end up running up against a series of jungle-themed encounters in India. The encounter Kaa and his hypnotic stare, an Elephant march, King Louie's search for Man's Red Fire, and more.

The original story is a Rudyard Kipling collection of stories, but Walt told the Head Writer Larry Clemmons "The first thing I want you to do is not to read it". It ended up being the last film Walt put personal touches on, acting out the roles and personally-crafting gags- he would die ten months before the film would debut. It's prove to be quite popular (Baloo would influence Little John in appearance and voice actor)

Baloo is obviously the most famous character here, contrasting Bagheera's stodgy, teacherly pride with a hipster's carefree outlook on life. Phil Harris makes his Disney debut with the guy, and would later voice O'Malley the Alley Cat & Little John with the same '60s-ish hippie vibe, something that was obviously lost on Young Jab. It's funny how the point seems to be "stay with your own kind" as opposed to "be true to who you are", which is the usual Disney credo.

Recognizing WINNIE THE POOH as Kaa the Python is a funny moment for me as an adult. And of course Baloo is a classic cut-up with some of his stuff. His response to Bagheera's beautiful speech about his sacrifice while he feints death is classic, and "She did that on PURPOSE!" is one of the funniest Disney moments ever. Baloo's disgust with how Mowgli immediately starts fawning over the beautiful village girl is riddled with hilarity, too- "you stay AWAY from those- they ain't NUTHIN' but trouble!"

Not the best Disney movie (the scratchy animation and flat backgrounds do it no favours, and Mowgli himself is very bland as a character- more someone that stuff just HAPPENS to than anything else), but certainly far from the worst, it gets by mainly on the strength of Baloo & Bagheera, plus the menace of Shere Khan (who's a bit too goofy with the funny expressions for my taste, though), and some of the humour. The Beatles parody from a group of Vultures is pretty funny too, for example (and was actually SUPPOSED to be The Beatles, but they refused). But Mowgli needs to stay AWAY from that kinda girl- anyone who learns how to manipulate men so thoroughly and like ten years old is WAAAAAYYYYYY beyond his league. DEAR GOD she's even mastered the "batting eyelashes"- RUN MOWGLI- RUUUUUUNNNNNNN!!!!

Reception & Cultural Impact:
-The film was a massive, massive success, being one of the biggest features of that year- hell, it was the #2 animated film of all time until Snow White's re-release in 1983. Though The Jungle Book is an extremely famous piece of literature, Disney's version is again the most famous, even getting THREE Live-Action versions from the studio- 1994, 1998 (a more children-focused one) and 2016, which was well-shot and had some good moments, but wasn't overly memorable. The character of Baloo proved so memorable that Disney would rip him off directly TWICE, and then do an animated series called TaleSpin about him... as a cargo plane pilot. In the '30s. There was the mandatory Lame 2000s DVD Sequel release, but The Jungle Book 2 is considered pretty mediocre, in spite of getting John Goodman & Tony Jay to play Baloo & Shere Khan, which are PERFECT casting choices.

Disney's adaptation would prove so memorable that the creators of Fables actually screwed up and accidentally included KING LOUIE- a Disney-only character- in their Jungle Book cast of characters. And really, is there ANY Disney Movie with more memorable music? Does anyone alive not know The Bear Necessities or Wanna Be Like You?. People LOVE those songs. Just so catchy and cool.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

ehmagerd: Lindsey Ellis is now doing a complete history of the downfall of the Hollywood Movie Musical- AMAZING: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8o7LzGqc3E

And this is the world the Wicked movie adaptation (slated for... it was gonna be late next year, but is now supposed to be some other time in the future, since Cats is due for release before that) is entering.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:34 am In my headcannon,Mim turned out to be Mama from the Adams Family(having married Merlin and giving birth to Morticia)...
In some Italian and Brasilian Disney Comics, Madam Mim returned as the sidekick of Magica De Spell.
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:36 am Baloo is obviously the most famous character here, contrasting Bagheera's stodgy, teacherly pride with a hipster's carefree outlook on life. Phil Harris makes his Disney debut with the guy, and would later voice O'Malley the Alley Cat & Little John with the same '60s-ish hippie vibe, something that was obviously lost on Young Jab. It's funny how the point seems to be "stay with your own kind" as opposed to "be true to who you are", which is the usual Disney credo.
This is one of those weird adaptation mess up I never understood. In the original tales Baloo was the wiser and much more calm teacher -- not to mention the keeper of the law, being the oldest animal in the jungle -- whereas Bagheera was much more of a risk taker and had a much more... cat-like personality.
Then again, in the original book Shere Khan was female and she hated humans because they butchered all her pups; Kaa was mowgli's best friend, rather than a super-creepy hypno-bastard.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Woodclaw wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:43 am
MacynSnow wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:34 am In my headcannon,Mim turned out to be Mama from the Adams Family(having married Merlin and giving birth to Morticia)...
In some Italian and Brasilian Disney Comics, Madam Mim returned as the sidekick of Magica De Spell.
Oh, there too? I just read that it was Dutch comics that did so.
Woodclaw wrote:
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:36 am Baloo is obviously the most famous character here, contrasting Bagheera's stodgy, teacherly pride with a hipster's carefree outlook on life. Phil Harris makes his Disney debut with the guy, and would later voice O'Malley the Alley Cat & Little John with the same '60s-ish hippie vibe, something that was obviously lost on Young Jab. It's funny how the point seems to be "stay with your own kind" as opposed to "be true to who you are", which is the usual Disney credo.
This is one of those weird adaptation mess up I never understood. In the original tales Baloo was the wiser and much more calm teacher -- not to mention the keeper of the law, being the oldest animal in the jungle -- whereas Bagheera was much more of a risk taker and had a much more... cat-like personality.
Then again, in the original book Shere Khan was female and she hated humans because they butchered all her pups; Kaa was mowgli's best friend, rather than a super-creepy hypno-bastard.
Like I said, Walt's specific instructions were "not to read it". He just wanted an Animal Picture, as those had proven to be major money-makers.

In fact, it's odd they don't do that more often. 101 Dalmatians was the biggest Non-Snow White hit they'd ever had until the '90s. Lady and the Tramp was huge. Almost every time they went to an Animal Movie, they made bank. Even The Lion King did well. I guess Home on the Range might've made them squirrelly.