Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab's Builds! (Brer Rabbit! Ichabod Crane! Mr. Toad! Cinderella!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

The Johnny Depp Sleepy Hollow movie mostly sticks out in my mind because they got CHRISTOPHER WALKEN of all people to play the Horseman. And yeah, Cinderella 3 boggles my mind by how..not too bad it is.
Jabroniville

Cinderella (Princess)

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

CINDERELLA
Played By:
Ilene Woods
Role: Disney Princess, Rags-To-Riches Story (pretty much the Codifier for the trope)
PL 0 (44), PL 4 (44) Defenses
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+4)
Expertise (Homemaker) 8 (+10)
Expertise (Singing/Dancing) 8 (+12)
Insight 2 (+5)
Persuasion 4 (+8, +10 Attractive)

Advantages:
Attractive 2

Powers:
"Disney Princess- Friend To The Animals"
Comprehend 1 (Understand Animals) (Flaws: Limited to Mice) [1]
Comprehend 1 (Speak To Animals) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +1, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Chores)- Cinderella's Wicked Stepmother and her Ugly Stepsisters force loads of work upon poor Cinderella. She never has much extra time for herself.
Relationship (The Prince)- His Royal Blandness has won Cinderella's heart, after they met and danced for a bit at the Ball.

Total: Abilities: 22 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 3 / Defenses: 4 (44)

-Cinderella herself is an interesting case-study as far as the "Princesses" go- she may be the most generic and Trope Codifying of the lot of them- she's impeccably polite, nice, a friend to animals, is ultra-glamorous and pretty, and wears the most pretty and shiny of Pimped Out Dresses, but she's got a bit of an edge that often gets forgotten in Disney's efforts to Blandify the Princesses into a homogenous array of Super-Polite Girly-Girls. While she's polite to everybody, she makes a lot of snide comments about her Stepsisters, and certainly gives Lucifer a lecture or two about his behavior. Can you imagine the modern incarnation of the character chasing a cat around with a broom? She's got a strong case of "Let her hair down" syndrome, too- proving herself to be much more attractive without her famous hairstyle- I was never much one for the "hair pulled up" look, though actually looking at Disney Cosplay (or, y'know, the actual professional actresses/models in the Disney Parks) reveals her to have one of the best overall looks.

-And lest ye judge the "Attractive 2" thing, keep in mind that she drew the Prince's eye FROM HUNDREDS OF FEET AWAY, dragging his bored ass away from like 200 eligible bachelorettes wanting to jump his bones, just by walking into a room. Almost all of her interactions with males lead to them immediately giving her exactly what she wants, without her even being manipulative about it. She is HAWT and doesn't even realize it.
-Cinderella was originally imagined to be a 16-year old, pug-nosed girl who "dresses up" to look better, but Marc Davis animated her as a graceful, long-necked beauty who was more typically attractive. Fun note: The official colour of the dress in all Merchandise and Disney parks is BLUE, and her hair is "Barbie Blonde". However, if you watch the movie, you will notice that the dress is quite clearly SILVER, and her hair actually strawberry-blonde. Exactly why this happened is beyond me, as the Disney Princesses are strictly "Color-Coded" (which is why Ariel was stuck in a green dress for years; Aurora already "called" pink), and silver wasn't taken- perhaps it's just because it was a simpler choice? Blue dresses & blonde hair are a decent look anyways, so it might have been cheaper and easier to get right than Cinderella's more distinctive other look. There's some thought that the silver looks too much like a wedding dress.

-Cinderella is no powerhouse or combat monster- she doesn't even have the barest of abilities to defend herself (her Stepsisters effortlessly ruined her dress, despite Cindy's protestations and flailing). However, she excels at the Princessy qualities of Being Super-Nice, Pretty and Friendly To Animals, in addition to having stellar singing abilities. Her Will Save is also pretty solid, given that she still retains enough belief to indirectly summon her Fairy Godmother after all that bad stuff happens to her. And she's more athletic than you'd think- wearing a gigantic ballgown and GLASS SHOES, she friggin' outruns both the Grand Duke and the Prince. On a STAIRCASE.

-Regarding the Godmother's Wand, it's gotta be some kind of uber Variable effect (in Cinderella III, it literally rewrites reality and time itself- the Fairy Godmother is thus equivalent to Thanos wearing the Infinity Gauntlet), though the movie only shows the Transformation Affliction & Transform Effect, both Continuous with a time limit.

About the Performer: Cinderella was played by Ilene Woods, a singer of some minor repute at the time. She didn't go on to much fame, but successfully sued Disney over licensing rights in the '80s, dying in 2010. The sequels and other productions use Jennifer Hale, one of the more prominent (but generic) voice actresses of our time, as the voice, leading to funny situations like her and the Prince talking, and it's the voices of the Black Cat and Spider-Man from the '90s Spider-Man cartoon.
HalloweenJack

Re: Jab's Builds! (Evil Queen! Pinocchio! Chernabog! Bambi!)

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:05 am
HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:12 pm Also Ichabod, Brom, and Katrina....ya know I don't see them as horrible people. They're just people ya know?
I always kinda felt that Ichabod dreaming of his future father-in-law's impending demise painted him in a negative light... unless I'm imagining that dream sequence.

well it's negative but....honestly....I could see most people acting the same way.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

MacynSnow wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:04 pm
Ares wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:10 pm
Ken wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:37 pm

Y'know, I'm not sure I'd consider chasing someone into a potentially fatal horseback riding accident, or throwing a flaming jack-o-lantern filled with kerosene (or whale oil or whatever) at someone's face as "decent".
I said "the most decent" in comparison to the other two. He's still acting like a jealous, hormone controlled dunderhead.
It's established early on just how GOOD a shot Brom Bones is(especially with an Early Musket,as those things are notoriously inaccurate even at point-blank range), so if he honestly wanted to hurt Ichabod during that chase,he seriously could've...

That's not saying he was by no means a Good person,he was a total hormonal Idiot Jock and that stupid chase wasn't Completely Dangerous to both riders,just that the man wanted his rival gone from the area.

There's a Live-Action version of this(one that doesn't star Johnny Deep) that showed everybody in a slightly better light(even Katrina!).
Then there's the one that showed up on TV called Sleepy Hollow,which added more Supernatural horror to it and made Crane into a Revolutionary Spy for Washington(which would've fit,given the timeframe)....

don't forget the Jeff Goldblum one....
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

and I dunno about Infinity Gauntlet....lesser cosmic cube maybe
Jabroniville

Lady Tremaine

Post by Jabroniville »

Man, now that's how you f*ckin' roll a Natural 20 on a "Sneer" Skill Check.

LADY TREMAINE
Played By:
Eleanor Audley
Role: The Wicked Stepmother, Horrible Bitch
Most Villainous Act: Turns an innocent girl into a slave in her own house because she's too pretty. It gets worse in the sequels.
PL 1 (47), PL 2 (47) Skills & Defenses
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Bitch) 10 (+12)
Expertise (High Society) 3 (+5)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 1 (+4)

Advantages:
Improved Trip, Minion 3 (Lucifer), Ultimate Bitch

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Drizella & Anastasia)- The Lady Tremaine spoils her two daughters, despite their awkward horribleness. She has squandered the fortune or her family and her late second husband's on their vain habits, an seeks to have them move up in "Society".
Enemy (Cinderella)- The Lady Tremaine despises Cinderella for the crime of being prettier and sweeter than her or her two daughters.

Total: Abilities: 18 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 3 / Defenses: 1 (47)

-It really says something that The Wicked Stepmother character of Cinderella stands out as a great Disney Villain when you consider that she's one of the few who isn't an outright murderer, sorceress or world conqueror. She's really just NASTY AS HELL, and in a very human way, and that makes her all the more easy to despise. The opening narration effortlessly shows how nasty she is, when she marries a rich guy (who just wants a mother to his poor daughter Cinderella), then turns his daughter into a slave in her own home once the guy croaks. She bullies Cinderella emotionally, and turns The Ugly Stepsisters against her with quick little jibes (she's actually REALLY good at manipulation, being able to subtly turn both daughters against Cindy just by mentioning the beads & sashes of her new dress- things that were discarded by Drizella & Anastasia earlier), and proves to be so evil that she'll LOCK CINDERELLA IN HER BEDROOM just to avoid her getting ANY kind of happiness whatsoever.

-The Lady Tremaine gets even MORE evil in the sequels (straight-to-video of course), at one point stealing the Fairy Godmother's Wand to REVERSE TIME to prevent Cinderella from marrying The Prince, and even disallows her daughter (becoming increasingly nice as things go on) from dating a "commoner", a baker lad. Then she turns Cinderella into a PUMPKIN, and sends her off to her death!

-For reasons of being exceptionally rotten, even with very little earthly power, Lady Tremaine earns the unique Expertise Skill of "Bitch"- the ability to find the most HORRIBLE thing to do at any given moment. Sure, you could give this to lots of people (AM I RIGHT FELLAS?? *goes for high five*), but it's a particular specialty here that must not go unrewarded :). She also has good Persuasion (the aforementioned dress incident) and can trip people more easily than an old lady should (that poor shoe...), but she's no physical specimen.

About the Performer: You want an iconic cultural touchstone. Eleanor Audley not only voiced LADY TREMAINE, but she was also the voice for MALEFICENT! Now THAT is some nightmarish resonance to children! Like, who the f*ck considers Lady Tremaine the SECOND-most-iconic of their Disney Villain performances? She was also one of the snobbish female elephants in Dumbo- it's hard to imagine somebody who was better at playing unpleasant. Disney Parks Snobs will also happily tell you that she is the original voice for Madame Leota in the Haunted Mansion rides. She was on a lot of television in her time, even playing Oliver's dissaproving mother on Green Acres.

LUCIFER
Role:
Rodent Exterminator, Preening Jerk
PL 1 (35)- Minion Rank 3
STRENGTH
-3 STAMINA -2 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Acrobatics 9 (+9)
Athletics 8 (+5)
Expertise (Survival) 1 (+1)
Intimidation 4 (+0 Size)
Perception 3 (+3)

Advantages:
Close Attack 3, Evasion, Fast Grab, Improved Initiative

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing) [5]
Speed 3 (4 mph) [3]

"Cat Agility"
"Righting Reflex" Immunity 5 (Falling Damage) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2.5]
Leaping 1 [1]

"Small Size" Shrinking 8 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [17]
(-2 Strength & Speed, +4 Defenses, +8 Stealth, -4 Intimidation)

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (-3 Damage, DC 12)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness -2, Fortitude +0, Will +0

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Cats cannot speak to humans, nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.
Reputation (Jerk)- Cats can be very mean, and often take a while to warm up to an individual.
Reputation (Pride)- Cats will not take orders, and cannot carry out commands. It is beneat them. As are you, filthy hyooman.

Total: Abilities: -18 / Skills: 27--13.5 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 28.5 / Defenses: 5 (35)
Jabroniville

Alice in Wonderland

Post by Jabroniville »

ALICE IN WONDERLAND (1951):
Writers: Lewis Carroll (original), Milt Banta, Den Connell, William Cottrell, Joe Grant, Winston Hibler, Dick Huemer, Dick Kelsey, Tom Oreb, Bill Peet, Erdman Penner, Joe Rinaldi, Ted Sears & John Walbridge
-This is a famously-nutty movie, giving motivation to millions of psychedelic drug-users the world over. Which makes it all the funnier that it disappointed critics & audiences when it first came out. But just think of how weird this movie is TODAY and consider that they were barely out of World War II at the time. Basically it's a type of "Adventure Movie" where the adventures are less dangerous circumstances (mostly) and more "HOLY HELL CHECK OUT ALL THIS CRAZY STUFF GOING ON!!!" as Alice meets all these insane, conniving characters, the Cheshire Cat (who's basically a Trickster who screws with Alice for the hell of it), and the insane Queen of Hearts, who has a dramatic case of Bipolar Disorder. Y'can't really STAT UP any of this nonsense- it's just a weird film. It's actually a "and then I woke up and it was all a dream" story, too, which I remember being told was an awful cliche even as a child.

The movie was a long-time labor of love for Disney, who'd had adaptations in mind since the '30s. Given that it's such an insane story, it proved difficult to get right- necessities of animation at the time meant that it had to pretty much be done in the Disney Style, meaning some of the more fanciful art and darker tales had to be cut out.

Reception & Cultural Impact:
-Possibly the greatest example of Disney's ubiquitousness in pop culture is the fact that ALICE IN WONDERLAND is even most well-known through its Disney version! Like, this is a FAMOUS STORY! Lewis Carroll is extremely well-known! But nope- even HE takes a backseat to Disney's creation. This is particularly annoying for Alice fans, since the Disney version actually takes TWO Alice stories and combines them together into one. The movie did very well, but disappointed some at the time, especially Carroll's fans, since it altered so much. It didn't do that well when it was released, either- Walt felt that it lacked heart, and Ward Kimball suggested that the animators tried too hard to top each other, ending up nullifying the final project. The years have just been very, VERY kind to it.

The film gave its name to a ton of Disney Parks attractions- the infamous Spinning Teacups (which can be turned into the most hurl-worthy action ride in the parks if you do it right), the "Alice" dark ride in Disneyland (with a great sequence where you look like you're "flying", though Fall Safety Regulations has ruined the illusion of that scnee), and a hedge maze in Disneyland Paris. Alice stuff also appears in some parades, especially the Main Street Electric Parade.

Alice, the Queen of Hearts, the Mad Hatter and the White Rabbit have all become cultural icons, with their Disney versions being most prominent. Kathryn Beaumont impressed enough as Alice that she got the role of Wendy Darling in the very next Disney Animated production (the characters even look alike, being drawn in the same style). And the reputation of Disney's version led to a FANTASTICALLY-profitable Alice in Wonderland Live-Action Remake in the 2000s by Tim Burton, the one Hollywood director Film Snobs still love. This movie did so insanely well (featuring Burton's muse, Johnny Depp) that it inspired a sequel... which became one of the worst bombs the Disney studio ever put out. It's really hard to say WHY, exactly- the Box Office was tiring of the schtick of both Burton & Depp at the time, and it seemed like a hotly-contested summer at the movies. What I remember most about this is that the Disney Stores and Toys R Us locations in town were just DELUGED with unsold, shelfwarming Through The Looking Glass shit, especially as the merhcandise was very, VERY high-quality, and thus very expensive, stuff. All of those dolls were designed with the near-exact likenesses of the stars of the film, so they had a corresponding COST. So when the movie fell on its ass at the box office... nobody wanted any of this crap. So I saw these things literally sit on the shelves for MONTHS, leading to massive, embarrassing price reductions.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Lady Tremaine is,without a dought,the Quintessential "Evil Step-Parent" Trope AT IT'S FINEST! She's conniving,duplicitous to HER OWN CHILDREN, would rather go to the Dungeon's than admit to being wrong, and get's her "Karmis Backlash" at the end...

That all being said,i think she's rather attractive in her old age(but maybe that's due to me marrying the R&H Cinderella Tremaine... :) ),cause their had to be SOMETHING there that drew her first Husband and Anastasia's Dad to her... ;)
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I personally never saw why everybody seem's to like the Disney version of Alice so much.I Personally perfer the Two made for TV version's(Alice and Through the Looking Glass),which stared half of Old-School Hollywood at the time...
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:44 am I personally never saw why everybody seem's to like the Disney version of Alice so much.I Personally perfer the Two made for TV version's(Alice and Through the Looking Glass),which stared half of Old-School Hollywood at the time...
Man, I do wish Batgirl was around right now- she had some really strong opinions on “Proper Alice”- I think she hated Disney’a version.
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

Guess I missed out on the Disney version. The definitive version of Alice for me was American McGee's take, which, upon comparing it to the Disney version, seems almost like a reaction to that.
statue345

Post by statue345 »

Did they ever actually say the evil stepmothers name in the movie? I always remembered her as just the evil stepmother, but I haven’t actually seen the movie since I was in elementary school.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

statue345 wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:02 am Did they ever actually say the evil stepmothers name in the movie? I always remembered her as just the evil stepmother, but I haven’t actually seen the movie since I was in elementary school.
I believe they announced her as "Lady Tremaine" only in the scene at the Castle, where her daughters are presented to the Prince. The off-hand way in which it happened is a HUGE part of why she's just "The Evil/Wicked Stepmother" and almost never goes by her name in anything.

The Disney Wiki explains it thusly, so I guess my memory is correct:
Her name is only mentioned once in the film: We learn that her last name is Tremaine at the ball when they announce the young ladies and their parents. This is the only time that her last name is referenced in the original film. Her name is mentioned more frequently in the 2015 film.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I also forgot to mention Once Upon A Time In Wonderland, which was a spin-off of ABC's Once Upon A Time, which was then a REALLY hot show. Unfortunately, the spin-off bombed, and OUAT itself soon fell off the pop culture radar, leading to several weak seasons.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

I'm kind of surprise nobody has mentioned the other bat-guano crazy adaptation of Alice.

"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)