Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Misty Knight & Colleen Wing! Cockroach! Boris & Ninotchka!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Oh nice. I joked that you needed to go one-by-one through my builds and comment on what you'd missed, but I didn't think you'd actually go through with it, lol. At least SOMEONE finally listened to my "just because you missed a build doesn't mean you're not allowed to comment on it EVER" pleas :).
Blind_Pugh

Re: Spitfire

Post by Blind_Pugh »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:02 am Image

Spitfire[\b]

Jackie here was one of the few times I like the big recon approach. She was a minor enough character, the attempts to restart the Invaders had never really worked so she was under the radar enough for my money.

Plus super speedster vampire is a nice combo in terms of what it brings to a team.

Personally I still hope (against all reason) we'll one day get a Excalibur book that's no more X-centric than Alpha Flight. It doesn't even start with X ffs.

I know we'll never get Betsy back, but give us Jono and Rahne. We'll have Brian, Megan, Faiza, post Contest of Champions Outlaw, and Jackie. That'll do me nicely. Like MI:13 but with a more salable name.

Give it to Al Ewing and Alan Davis. I can dream...
Blind_Pugh

Post by Blind_Pugh »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:48 pm Oh nice. I joked that you needed to go one-by-one through my builds and comment on what you'd missed, but I didn't think you'd actually go through with it, lol. At least SOMEONE finally listened to my "just because you missed a build doesn't mean you're not allowed to comment on it EVER" pleas :).
Lol sorry I'll ease up, just have child free time and I genuinely enjoy reading your work and talking comics with other geeks.
Blind_Pugh

Re: The Scorpion

Post by Blind_Pugh »

OK one last comment then I'll sod off, but I was looking for this guy along! He is without a doubt my most Red Guardian Character (to steal your term, Jab.)

This version below though, not Venom, not stupid pincer hands. Classic Scorpion. One of my most memorable characters to those that have met me was called Mac Gargan in homage.
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:21 am Image

THE SCORPION I (MacDonald "Mac" Gargan):
He SO needs a good Thunderbolts run! He can never go hero after the Venom stuff, but it would be fantastic to see him work his way back to respectability on the Villain totem pole.

See him score some victories over guys thought to be on his level that really shouldn't be. Let him reclaim his own mind, show him working to better then using his PI skills. He'd be so good!

OK leaving you to reel from the bombardment now.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Ares wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:44 am Ah, Iron Fist. One of my favorite comics characters ever, and much like Capt. Marvel over at DC, criminally underused.

Christopher Priest, for all the good he's done for Black Panther and Milestone comics, strikes me as incredibly petty sometimes. When his Iron Fist/Power Man book was canceled, he decided to kill off Danny out of what basically felt like spite. When his Justice League Task Force book was cancelled, he killed off the character he'd created for the book in a similarly pointless fashion, because he'd rather her dead than DC being able to use her. And during the 80s, when he was a Spider-Man writer, he not only revealed that Ned Leeds was the Hobgoblin, but killed Ned off in the same issue, without consulting or telling any of the other Spider-Writers at the time.

And yes, the Immortal Iron Fist series should have been something fans hated, given all of the retcons, but it honestly felt more like what Iron Fist should have been all along, so fans embraced it. And I say this as one of those fans that read every Iron Fist comic he could get his hands on, and didn't mind in the least the retcons we got. It's a shame that book never really reached its full potential.

I wasn't a fan of the last Power Man/Iron Fist book they released. They made Danny way too dopey and Luke into his long-suffering sidekick. I think at this point, you'd really just need to make their book a full on team/family book about Luke, Danny, Jessica, Misty and Colleen, maybe with Shang Chi thrown in for good measure. And like I've said before, retcon Danny and Misty as being a couple and having their daughter Lucy. There is no reason for the two of them to not exist.

Iron Fist: The Living Weapon, while having an awesome title, was utter garbage. They recently released another Iron Fist book, simply titled "Iron Fist" and it was MUCH better. Without giving much away, it includes a scene of Danny riding Shao-Lao into battle reigning down dragonfire on his enemies, at least equaling Harry Dresdens infamous "I rode a zombie T-Rex into battle" scene.

Danny is something of a weird fit in the Marvel Universe, tho. As I've mentioned before, his backstory implies that he really should be this A-List, high adventure having badass. He's basically Batman if Batman had decided to skip on being a detective and gadgeteer, and focused solely on being a martial artist, complete with Street Fighter/King of Fighters style chi techniques. He's the greatest martial artist of a city of immortal martial arts masters, he killed a dragon in single combat to gain the ability to punch SHIELD Helicarriers out of the sky, etc. Him being on the Avengers or Defenders just makes a lot of sense.

But at the same time, a lot of his success comes from the work he's done with Luke Cage, who in a lot of ways works better as a local hero. But if Batman can work as both a guy fighting crime in Gotham and fighting gods in the Justice League, it should be possible to make it work for Danny as well. Like, the international high-end stuff is him "at work" while the stuff he does with Luke is hanging out with his friends and family. And then occasionally Luke gets roped into some of Danny's adventures and he becomes the fish out of water.
Aside from the Danny/Misty relationship (I've always preferred Colleen as a potential partner for him) I agree with everything you've said.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

M4C8 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:53 pm Aside from the Danny/Misty relationship (I've always preferred Colleen as a potential partner for him) I agree with everything you've said.
I think Collen works better as a friend for Danny. I liked that he didn't just fall in love with the first woman he spent time with outside of K'un L'un, even moreso that she seemed "designed" for him, being of mixed Caucasian/Asian ancestry and knowing martial arts. Much like his friendship with Luke, I think Misty and Danny compliment each other. She grounds him, he treats her in a way few people ever did.

To put it another way, Misty Knight is to Danny what Karrin Murphy is to Harry Dresden.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Ares wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:24 pm
M4C8 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:53 pm Aside from the Danny/Misty relationship (I've always preferred Colleen as a potential partner for him) I agree with everything you've said.
I think Collen works better as a friend for Danny. I liked that he didn't just fall in love with the first woman he spent time with outside of K'un L'un, even moreso that she seemed "designed" for him, being of mixed Caucasian/Asian ancestry and knowing martial arts. Much like his friendship with Luke, I think Misty and Danny compliment each other. She grounds him, he treats her in a way few people ever did.

To put it another way, Misty Knight is to Danny what Karrin Murphy is to Harry Dresden.
Fair enough, their similar background was a part of it but for me it was more to do with them sharing a similar sarcastic sense of humour.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

The MCU’s Danny and Colleen have great chemistry together, but in the comics, it’s Danny and Misty all the way.

Although I still think Luke, Danny, Misty, and Colleen need to borrow a Quinnjet, fly to Wakanda, and get themselves a nice official plural marriage.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:09 amCockroach Hamilton:This homeboy has my utmost Respect,as he had the Jewels to take on Cage BY HIMSELF,break's Luke's Shoulder by firing that Magnificent SIX-BARRELED SHOTGUN point-blank range,and STILL does his job successfully.It's just to bad his Boss was an idiot...
It also clearly demonstrates that he's got some kind of superhuman physical ability. Forget Luke's shoulder. By firing six barrels at once, Cockroach should have dislocated his everything, as well as being flung across the room. I've had the amusing experience of watching someone fire two shotgun barrels at once. From a solid firing stance, it knocked him back several steps, shouting and cursing. Plus, the shells he was using were of a relatively light load for target shooting, which is not what I'd use for trying to take out super-durable heroes. If he had access to the facilities to make a six-barreled shotgun, he surely had a source for heavy-loaded shells. Using anything else for the purpose of trying to take down Luke would be stupid... but firing six of anything at once is also stupid...
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Maybe Cockroach had some really good muzzle-breaks installed?
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

Sorry, off-topic a bit: BGIII, Ken, other Toho fans: Anyone know a legal streaming option for seeing King Kong vs. Godzilla? Our library system doesn't have it, I don't want to buy it if I don't have to, and it's not on Netflix, Vudu, or Amazon Prime.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Jabroniville

Iron Fist

Post by Jabroniville »

THE IMMORTAL IRON FIST (Daniel "Danny" Rand, aka Daniel Rand-K'ai)
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Gil Kane
First Appearance: Marvel Premiere #15 (May 1974)
Role: Martial Artist, Forgotten Character
Group Affiliations: The Avengers, The Heroes For Hire, The Defenders
PL 11 (187)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 9 (+15)
Athletics 11 (+14)
Deception 4 (+6)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+17)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 12 (+14)
Expertise (Business) 5 (+7)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 8 (+11)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Treatment 5 (+7)
Vehicles 1 (+3)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Assessment, Benefit 4 (Billionaire), Chokehold, Defensive Attack, Defensive Strike, Diehard, Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 3, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative 2, Improved Smash, Improved Trip, Instant Up, Languages (Many Asian Languages), Last Stand, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Prone Fighting, Ranged Attack 4, Seize Initiative, Takedown 2, Teamwork, Trance, Uncanny Dodge, Weapon Break

Powers:
"Possesses the Chi of Shou-Lao the Undying"
"Fists Like Unto a Thing of Iron" Strength-Damage +6 (Extras: Penetrating 8) (Inaccurate -3) (11) -- [13]
  • AE: "Healing Trance" Healing 6 (Flaws: Distracting) Linked to Immunity 2 (Poison, Disease) (8)
  • AE: "Combine Souls or Whatever" Mind-Reading 8 (Flaws: Touch Range -2, Distracting, Limited to Aspects of the Soul) (1)
"Supreme Physical Specimen"
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]
Senses 1 (Mystical Awareness) [1]
"Martial Artist" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

"Immortal Weapon" Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +17 (+4 Damage, DC 20)
Iron Fist Punch +11 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +14

Defenses:
Dodge +14 (DC 24), Parry +17 (DC 27), Toughness +4, Fortitude +7, Will +10

Complications:
Power Loss (The Iron Fist)- While Danny is no longer Fatigued or Exhausted if he uses the Iron Fist Technique, he still cannot simply spam the attack out willy-nilly. His Chi is a terrible weapon, and could consume him with over-use. He can use it multiple times in succession, but it's not a "use every time" kind of attack- he will eventually get Fatigued or Exhausted, suffer incredible internal damage, or lose the attack entirely.
Relationship (Luke Cage)- Marvel's pre-eminant Bromance, the two as very different, but are closer than most brothers. They understand each other better than anyone else does.
Relationship (Misty Knight)- Danny's off-and-on girlfriend of many years- there's a lot of history, and both tend to be stubborn fools in love.
Relationship (Orson Randall)- Orson is the Sixty-Fifth Immortal Iron Fist, and actually survived to the present era. He & Danny briefly take on a gruff mentor/naiive student relationship, but things end tragically before they can get too close. However, Danny still has Orson's Journal, able to be read only by Iron Fists- he will connect with Orson's old tales and meet with his old friends, to try and gain a greater image of the man.
Responsibility (Rand, Inc.)- Danny's fortune was built by Orson Randall's father Wendell, and built off of the fortunes of K'un-Lun and it's corrupt leaders. Danny feels tremendous guilt over this, and (never having been much of a businessman himself) resolves to give up the dirty-money fortune and help people.
Responsibility (The Rand Dojo)- Danny runs a dojo out of the inner city to try and make a difference amongst some poor kids who "really need a place to go after school". It doesn't even need to be said that most of the kids end up the targets of various bad guys.
Responsibility (K'un-Lun)- Danny was raised in K'un-Lun, and is devoted to it's people. However, their ruler and history are often dark and disturbing.
Relationship (Lei Kung the Thunderer)- Danny respects his mentor deeply, but finds him inscrutable and unwilling to part with information easily (he does not warn Danny about the heart-ripping Zhou Cheng, for example).
Enemy (Master Khan)- Khan has attempted to destroy K'un-Lun for centuries.
Enemy (Ward Meachum)- Ward never forgave Danny for trying to hunt down his brother (even though his brother murdered Danny's parents!). Never mind that Danny actually left the guy alive...
Enemy (Davos, The Steel Serpent)- The son of Lei-Kung the Thunderer, and a former friend of Wendell Rand, Davos is one of Danny's most-implacable foes.

Total: Abilities: 70 / Skills: 68--34 / Advantages: 43 / Powers: 18 / Defenses: 22 (187)

Danny's Personality:
-Arguably the weakest aspect of Danny Rand as a character is his entire personality. Which is basically a dry, humorless, "Inscrutable Oriental", but with a Generic Caucasian Superhero appearance (seriously, him, Hawkeye, Hank Pym & Captain America out of uniform are basically identical Blonde Dudes). In many other Iron Fist-centric stories, Danny comes across like a more stoic, mystical-thinking character, but in the modern incarnation, he's much more of a sarcastic, funny "Everyman Hero", much like Spider-Man, Hawkeye and others. Brubaker & Fraction wrote him as kind of a goof-off with quips and wits, which is very different from what I've seen in other works, but of course is the kind of thing that you see in a LOT of modern Marvel stuff, as it makes the heroes more likeable and popular.

-Danny's altogether kind of a forgettable character at times, so it takes a good writer to make him decent. He's got a "dead parents" origin, added to a "Great White Hope" story of the honky outsider coming in to become the better fighter than all the natives who trained him. Then he's a rich white boy like so many other heroes before him, and also sarcastic like Spider-Man. Almost everything about him is kinda tired, so that's why the Immortal Iron Fist book was so cool- it took this brutally-generic idea and made a cool goofy hero out of it, as Danny got thrust into this epic mystical/martial arts story.

The Might of the Iron Fist:
-Danny is what they call an ELITE martial artist. Even Captain America is +16 in melee combat- Danny is +17, making him THE best around, sharing stats with Shang-Chi and very few others. Of course, Cap is also way stronger, but that's what balance is all about. Iron Fist is only PL 10 by my count, since he still has trouble with basic villains, I've seen his struggle with mere HYDRA hordes in a way that Cap never does, giant robots can whup him even when they're mere goons, and he's shown as very much equivalent to Daredevil in many respects. Neither has been shown to fight the other with any kind of advantage either way, and there's no way DD is PL 11. His "Iron Fist" power is something I've statted before, and Taliesin did virtually the same way (so I know I'm on the right track :D)- it's an Inaccurate Damage effect that's also Penetrating (8 total, in case he Power Attacks), and he can't quite spam it out, so it's got a Complication on it.

-Danny all-around phenomenal, able to modify nearly every cap he has, from Accurate to Defensive to Power. Basically, if you're looking at martial artists, they begin and end here, and Danny's among the few who can push himself to the Heavyweight class by virtue of the Iron Fist strike- using it, he can match the offensive power of many Class 100 Powerhouses (especially with 3 ranks of Improved Critical). He can also heal in a pinch (rarely-shown, but semi-common), and detect some mystical stuff.

-His ability to cure himself of poisons can also be occasionally given to others, and his Chi can allow for some unique Stunted Alternate Effects- absorbing the Electro-Magnetic Energy of a Supertrain To K'un-Lun (then blowing it up... somehow), absorbing other types of energy, finding weak spots on giant Dragons, using the Iron Fist at range (one scene in the recent series shows Danny extending chi blasts out of his hands for a couple feet, and his first use of it involved him blowing up a squad of HYDRA goons in a close-range Cone Area effect), etc. Danny is easily a match for Daredevil or Shang-Chi (guys with similar skill levels), and has a better chance of winning, by virtue of his increased hitting power (Baron's charts show that the more hard-hitting character often wins, and Danny is a half a PL higher as well). Only his lower Toughness could hold him back, and even THAT can be counted if he can Heal when he has some moments of respite.

-Danny is probably the single hardest character to place in terms of PL that I've ever built- he goes from "Struggling against just some martial artist" to "proving that his is the longest and girthiest ever" by doing some outlandish super-power-feat at the same time. I think he also got an upgrade in The Defenders, though the next time you'll see him, Back To Basics Syndrome will no doubt strike and turn him into the same guy he always was. But at PL 10.5, he is either super-accurate (equal to Shang-Chi and only a few others), SUPER-strong (hitting at +10 with high Improved Critical), or he can Accurate Attack the Iron Fist Technique and still do Penetrating Damage at a more-accurate level, hurting guys with Impervious armor.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:23 am, edited 5 times in total.
Jabroniville

Lower-Level Dannys

Post by Jabroniville »

THE IMMORTAL IRON FIST (Daniel "Danny" Rand, aka Daniel Rand-K'ai)- Standard Version
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Gil Kane
PL 10 (182)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 9 (+15)
Athletics 11 (+14)
Deception 4 (+6)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+16)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 11 (+13)
Expertise (Business) 5 (+7)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 7 (+10)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Treatment 5 (+7)
Vehicles 1 (+3)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Assessment, Benefit 4 (Billionaire), Chokehold, Defensive Attack, Defensive Strike, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 3, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative 2, Improved Smash, Improved Trip, Instant Up, Languages (Many Asian Languages), Move-By Action, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Ranged Attack 4, Seize Initiative, Takedown 2, Teamwork, Trance, Uncanny Dodge, Weapon Break

Powers:
"Fists Like Unto a Thing of Iron" Strength-Damage +6 (Extras: Penetrating 8) (Inaccurate -3) (11) -- [13]
AE: "Healing Trance" Healing 6 (Flaws: Distracting) Linked to Immunity 2 (Poison, Disease) (8)
AE: "Combine Souls or Whatever" Mind-Reading 8 (Flaws: Touch Range -2, Distracting, Limited to Aspects of the Soul) (1)

Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +16 (+4 Damage, DC 20)
Iron Fist Punch +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +14

Defenses:
Dodge +14 (DC 24), Parry +16 (DC 26), Toughness +4, Fortitude +7, Will +10

Complications:
Power Loss (The Iron Fist)- While Danny is no longer Fatigued or Exhausted if he uses the Iron Fist Technique, he still cannot simply spam the attack out willy-nilly. His Chi is a terrible weapon, and could consume him with over-use. He can use it multiple times in succession, but it's not a "use every time" kind of attack- he will eventually get Fatigued or Exhausted, suffer incredible internal damage, or lose the attack entirely.
Relationship (Luke Cage)- Marvel's pre-eminant Bromance, the two as very different, but are closer than most brothers. They understand each other better than anyone else does.
Relationship (Misty Knight)- Danny's off-and-on girlfriend of many years- there's a lot of history, and both tend to be stubborn fools in love.
Responsibility (Rand, Inc.)- Danny's fortune was built by Orson Randall's father Wendell, and built off of the fortunes of K'un-Lun and it's corrupt leaders. Danny feels tremendous guilt over this, and (never having been much of a businessman himself) resolves to give up the dirty-money fortune and help people.
Responsibility (The Rand Dojo)- Danny runs a dojo out of the inner city to try and make a difference amongst some poor kids who "really need a place to go after school". It doesn't even need to be said that most of the kids end up the targets of various bad guys.
Responsibility (K'un-Lun)- Danny was raised in K'un-Lun, and is devoted to it's people. However, their ruler and history are often dark and disturbing.
Relationship (Lei Kung the Thunderer)- Danny respects his mentor deeply, but finds him inscrutable and unwilling to part with information easily (he does not warn Danny about the heart-ripping Zhou Cheng, for example).
Enemy (Ward Meachum)- Ward never forgave Danny for trying to hunt down his brother (even though his brother murdered Danny's parents!). Never mind that Danny actually left the guy alive...
Enemy (Davos, The Steel Serpent)- The son of Lei-Kung the Thunderer, and a former friend of Wendell Rand, Davos is one of Danny's most-implacable foes.

Total: Abilities: 70 / Skills: 66--33 / Advantages: 40 / Powers: 18 / Defenses: 21 (182)

-This is the more "standard" Danny, with power-ups or whatever absent. He was mostly like this for years, and only slightly worse overall, dropping a notch of Accuracy, Defense and some Advantages. pretty much every time there's a new Iron Fist series, this is the "Back-To-Basics" version you see.

THE IMMORTAL IRON FIST (Daniel "Danny" Rand, aka Daniel Rand-K'ai)- Bronze Age Version
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Gil Kane
PL 9 (153)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+14)
Athletics 10 (+13)
Deception 3 (+5)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+14)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 10 (+12)
Expertise (Business) 3 (+5)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 5 (+8)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Treatment 3 (+5)
Vehicles 1 (+3)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Assessment, Benefit 4 (Billionaire), Chokehold, Defensive Attack, Defensive Strike, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative 2, Improved Smash, Improved Trip, Languages (Many Asian Languages), Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Ranged Attack 4, Seize Initiative, Takedown 2, Teamwork, Trance, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
"Fists Like Unto a Thing of Iron" Strength-Damage +6 (Extras: Penetrating 8) (Flaws: Tiring) (Inaccurate -3) [5]

Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+4 Damage, DC 20)
Iron Fist Punch +8 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +14

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +4, Fortitude +7, Will +8

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 54--27 / Advantages: 36 / Powers: 5 / Defenses: 17 (153)

-The more old-school Danny loses a lot of capability, largely thanks to his lower levels of experience and the fact that he couldn't spam out the Iron Fist attack that much. Quite often, he'd only use it ONCE per fight, as the coup de grace.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Iron Fist

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:22 pm
Danny's Personality:
-Arguably the weakest aspect of Danny Rand as a character is his entire personality. Which is basically a dry, humorless, "Inscrutable Oriental", but with a Generic Caucasian Superhero appearance (seriously, him, Hawkeye, Hank Pym & Captain America out of uniform are basically identical Blonde Dudes). In many other Iron Fist-centric stories, Danny comes across like a more stoic, mystical-thinking character, but in the modern incarnation, he's much more of a sarcastic, funny "Everyman Hero", much like Spider-Man, Hawkeye and others. Brubaker & Fraction wrote him as kind of a goof-off with quips and wits, which is very different from what I've seen in other works, but of course is the kind of thing that you see in a LOT of modern Marvel stuff, as it makes the heroes more likeable and popular.
In his first appearances, Danny was very much the "stoic Zen Master", but with a heavy dose of "Consumed with revenge" as he went after Harold Meachum. Thankfully, that personality really didn't last very long, as he gave up that whole aspect of himself. By the time Claremont and Byrne took over his solo book, he was basically a martial arts version of Peter Parker, cracking jokes, being a generally good guy but with a temper that was scary when unleashed. The main difference between the two was that while Peter tended to be more tense, Danny tended to be more relaxed, and seems to be able to more easily switch between 'chill' and 'focused'. I suspect Danny's ability to relax is what helps his friendship with Luke, as well as Danny's genuine empathy for others.
-Danny's altogether kind of a forgettable character at times, so it takes a good writer to make him decent. He's got a "dead parents" origin, added to a "Great White Hope" story of the honky outsider coming in to become the better fighter than all the natives who trained him. Then he's a rich white boy like so many other heroes before him, and also sarcastic like Spider-Man. Almost everything about him is kinda tired, so that's why the Immortal Iron Fist book was so cool- it took this brutally-generic idea and made a cool goofy hero out of it, as Danny got thrust into this epic mystical/martial arts story.
Only you would take "Billionaire orphaned by treacherous family friend/business partner raised in a city of immortal martial artists, trained to become a Living Weapon by killing a dragon in one-on-one combat" into "everything about him is kind of tired".
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Also, my God but I hate that black tracksuit they gave him.