Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
MacynSnow

Re: Jab's Builds! (Discus & Stiletto! Shades! Power Man! Hardcore!)

Post by MacynSnow »

I liked how,instead of having her be High School Peter's Retro Girlfriend(which would've made for an....Intresting Dynamic when Spidey joined Cage's Avengers),Bendis actually did the smart thing and dialed her back.It honestly made for a better book...
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Hardcore

Post by Ares »

Tattooedman wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:56 am
Ares wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:49 am
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:34 pm ImageImage

HARDCORE (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Marcus McLaurin & Dwayne Turner
First Appearance: Cage #1 (April 1992)
Role: Rival Villain, Assassin
Group Affiliation: The Untouchables
PL 9 (129)
So this guy of all people learned on his own how to karate chop so hard that he can injure someone as durable as Luke Cage. Seriously. Something Shang Chi, Iron Fist and other A-List fighters can't.

I'm going to write him off as being an unknown mutant. That or Marvel is just really stupid at times.
As much as I'd like to think it was more a case of the first, unfortunately I think it's more a case of the second.
I mean, I don't have a problem with the idea on its surface. I've got my Heaven's Sword/Dragon Saber comic right next to my desk, and the kind of stuff those people can pull off with kung fu makes karate chopping through steel seem almost quaint. I'd have no problem with Marvel or DC having a "Street Fighter" vibe where sufficiently dedicated martial artists can train themselves to pull off superhuman stunts. You don't even have to work that hard to justify why guys like Capt. America and Batman can't pull off similar stuff: the training is hard to manage and time consuming. Becoming someone like Ryu or Sagat would require about as much time as it took Batman to master all of his other skills. And meanwhile guys like Iron Fist could still come off as something special due to his dragon enhanced chi making him the martial arts equivalent of a Sorcerer Supreme.

I know asking for consistency in comics, especially comics these days, is a fools errand, but still.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jessica Jones

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:58 am
-Even as she floundered as a background character, she gained a lease on life with the Jessica Jones Netflix series, which my friend says is the best of the four, dealing with "Abusive Relationships" as a general theme.
All of the Marvel Netflix series have been good, and it's interesting to see how people organize them in terms of favorites. With a lot of folks, what issues get tackled seems to be a deciding factor (Luke Cage is their favorite if touching on black issues is a big deal to them).

I think in terms of actual quality, Dardevil Seasons 1 & 2 are easily the best. I'd say the Punisher series would come in second due to the writing and performances.

After that, out of Iron Fist, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones, I'd say they're all probably equal in terms of quality, and which one you like depends on the issues and themes I mentioned. For me, I liked Iron Fist more than Luke and Jessica, since to me I felt they did a decent job of keeping the corporate stuff interesting, the acting was decent, the fight scenes were pretty good, and they did some decent things with the lore. My biggest issue was how Danny's personality was portrayed (both here and in the Defenders), while Luke Cage Season 2 gave us more of the Danny I want to see.

I actually found that Luke Cage and Jessica Jones could drag on at times. In a weird way, the people with the most overt superpowers were the two shows who could be the most boring at times. Luke was the less boring of the two, while Jessica Jones had the better villain.

Meanwhile Defenders was just a lot of fun, but placing it is hard due to all of the other characters being involved in it.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Ares wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:36 am I mean, I don't have a problem with the idea on its surface. I've got my Heaven's Sword/Dragon Saber comic right next to my desk, and the kind of stuff those people can pull off with kung fu makes karate chopping through steel seem almost quaint. I'd have no problem with Marvel or DC having a "Street Fighter" vibe where sufficiently dedicated martial artists can train themselves to pull off superhuman stunts. You don't even have to work that hard to justify why guys like Capt. America and Batman can't pull off similar stuff: the training is hard to manage and time consuming. Becoming someone like Ryu or Sagat would require about as much time as it took Batman to master all of his other skills. And meanwhile guys like Iron Fist could still come off as something special due to his dragon enhanced chi making him the martial arts equivalent of a Sorcerer Supreme.

I know asking for consistency in comics, especially comics these days, is a fools errand, but still.
I agree with you entirely. Part of my thing is the writer gave this virtual nobody that kind of ability that one might expect Shang-Chi to have developed by this time and he basically gets killed off before anything interesting could be done with him (meaning Hardcore), my other issue is the same as your last bit - consistency.

I've said Marvel has needed it for years now, and by that I mean nearly a decade. Unfortunately now I include DC in that as well, specifically someone that might actually like comics instead of some of the people who have been in charge that don't seem to really like the thing they are in charge of overseeing.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:49 am
So this guy of all people learned on his own how to karate chop so hard that he can injure someone as durable as Luke Cage. Seriously. Something Shang Chi, Iron Fist and other A-List fighters can't.

I'm going to write him off as being an unknown mutant. That or Marvel is just really stupid at times.
Maybe he's an "All Or Nothing" kind of fighter. So that's, like, the ONLY THING he ever trained for. I mean, he spends the rest of his time using weapons, so he presumably is rather one-note if he can't chop through steel :).
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Shades! Power Man! Hardcore! Jessica Jones!)

Post by Jabroniville »

LOL, oh geez- I missed the entire second half of Page 820 while posting. Looking at this site on my phone can be annoying sometimes. Especially when ten of the fifteen posts QUOTE ENTIRE POSTS ON THEIR OWN :).

Belly-Shirt Bow is amazing, though :).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Shades

Post by Jabroniville »

Captain Beard wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:49 pm
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... =Comanched

Comanched

When a white woman has been with a black man she becomes tainted. This line is from the movie the Searchers . In the movie a girl gets kidnapped by Indians. The girls after being with the Indians for awhile, act different-like savages. John Wayne has the famous line, "You don't want her back know, She's been Comanched!"

Jesus Mary used to be so hot, what happened to her?

Who Mary, she's been Comanched!

So... there's that.
haha, yikes. Wonder if that's where they came up with the name?
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:38 am LOL, oh geez- I missed the entire second half of Page 820 while posting. Looking at this site on my phone can be annoying sometimes. Especially when ten of the fifteen posts QUOTE ENTIRE POSTS ON THEIR OWN :).

That's nothing new. Dude was always proud of his abs:

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Also, the requisite MILF payment for thread derailment:

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ares wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:51 am
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:38 am LOL, oh geez- I missed the entire second half of Page 820 while posting. Looking at this site on my phone can be annoying sometimes. Especially when ten of the fifteen posts QUOTE ENTIRE POSTS ON THEIR OWN :).

That's nothing new. Dude was always proud of his abs:

Bow was my Favorite He-Man/She-Ra character growing-up.Where everybody else was either Cybernetic,Magically changed,Mutations or whathaveyou,THIS DUDE was the only "Regular Joe" of the entire lot.His only claim to Fame was a Recurve Bow that he stole off of a sleeping Hank from the Dungeons and Dragons world.....In my headcannon,cause that Weapon could do the exact same stuff Hank's could.

He also had Awe-inspiring Abs. :D
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Kristen Ritter actually is unrelated to the late John Ritter; she grew up on a farm, and got her big break as a teen model.

Pretty much plays variations of the same character over and over (type-acting) but she's really good at that type.

All my best.
Last edited by greycrusader on Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

greycrusader wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:05 am Kristen Ritter actually is unrelated to the late John Ritter; she grew up on a farm, and got her big break as a teen model.

Pretty plays variations of the same character over and over (type-acting) but she's really good at that type.

All my best.
She was the Cordelia Chase style Alpha-Bitch on Veronica Mars, a very different character than Jessica Jones.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:11 am
greycrusader wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:05 am Kristen Ritter actually is unrelated to the late John Ritter; she grew up on a farm, and got her big break as a teen model.

Pretty plays variations of the same character over and over (type-acting) but she's really good at that type.

All my best.
She was the Cordelia Chase style Alpha-Bitch on Veronica Mars, a very different character than Jessica Jones.
She was also Faith on Buffy,The Vampire Slayer and reprised it briefly for Angel.She also almost got the part of River in Firefky.
You could say i'm a Fan....:D
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

MacynSnow wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:21 am She was also Faith on Buffy,The Vampire Slayer and reprised it briefly for Angel.
That was Eliza Dushku, not Krysten Ritter.

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ares wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:24 am
MacynSnow wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:21 am She was also Faith on Buffy,The Vampire Slayer and reprised it briefly for Angel.
That was Eliza Dushku, not Krysten Ritter.
You sure?They look an Aweful lot alike to me...