Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Hand Axe

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

HAND AXE (Pair) (5-7 ep)
Place/Time of Origin:
1.5 Million B.C.
Type of Damage: Bludgeoning & Slashing
Typical Make: Wooden handle with stone or metal wedge-shape planted into the top end.
Manner of Use: Wielded in separate hands to bring downward onto the head or other vitals.
Variants on Design: Different sizes & shapes available (Picks, Tomahawks, fireman's axes, etc.)
Famous Wielders: Lizzie Borden, Jack Torrance ("The Shining")

Stats: Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Split, Penetrating 2) -- (5 Equipment Points)
Throwing Axe Stats: Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Ranged 5) -- (7 Equipment Points)
Maximum Damage: 8

Positives & Negatives:
+ Intimidation factor. Axes are frightening to face. Most people will not voluntarily lower their defenses (ie. All-Out Attack) around them.
+ Can be passed off as a tool, and they're not so big that you can't hide them. Also most of them pretty much ARE tools, and can be used as such.

- Can get stuck in things if you hit the wrong kind of surface (like a wooden shield, for instance).

-Standard axes (ie. not huge or uber-fancy), wielded in a pair, are fairly rare in history, but the Vikings likely made use of them. Most would just use a single one, but hey, that's boring- and this way, you stand out from the guys using proper war-themed axes.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Terror! THUNDRA!!!! Polearms & Blades! Katanas!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:10 am Yeah, the humble staff has almost always been my favorite weapon.
As someone whose favorite Ninja Turtle was Donatello, and who gave a bo staff to their favorite OC as a teenager, I can relate.

I don't really have a favorite weapon, oddly. Is that normal? I thought giant Axes (the kind on polearms) were the most bad-ass weapons EVER, but I certainly never gave them to heroes. Staffs were cool, I dug Swords, Laser Swords, etc. I have zero opinion on guns at all, and tended towards Gimmick Users as Ranged-Weapon-Using superheroes.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

OMG- Kara Lindsay (the best Glinda EVER... next to the Divine Miss Cheno) singing a song they made for Toni Braxton when she was Belle on Broadway... while DRESSED AS BELLE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg7ItqqpuSs

I heart Kara Lindsay.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:41 am
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:14 am
KorokoMystia wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:12 am And of course, you're usually likely to find axes in the hands of bandits in the Fire Emblem games, as early opponents for your sword-wielding main character. (because swords have an advantage against axes in the series's weapon triangle)
yeah, and then they gave you Hector, the axe-wielding Most Powerful Lord Ever :).
Yeah, Hector is awesome, especially once he's got that badass legendary lightning axe. Whlie I'd still love to see Shining Force and Fire Emblem get builds (as you mentioned the possibility of that before, if I recall correctly), I could imagine statting a bunch of standard weapon guys being repetitive. (They're definitely series that would make the most out of Templates..) But on the upside, both series have a bunch of fantastical elements and weird non-human party members (and enemies) to spice things up. (Like Shining Force's armadillo knight in a steam-powered suit.)
I think about it from time to time- it'd be a fun use of a week or two, though I fear only a handful of people would even recognize anybody- the curse of using a Game Boy Advance RPG as subject matter, lol. The classes are pretty simple to explain, at least. They're all pretty similar, but with different weapons, though Axe Guys tend to be insanely strong, Cavalry are tough, Knights are UBER-tough, and archers & swordsmen are fragile as hell.

I DEFINITELY want to do Samurai Shodown, Mortal Kombat and perhaps the Disney Builds first, but we'll see.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:55 am
Ares wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:10 am Yeah, the humble staff has almost always been my favorite weapon.
As someone whose favorite Ninja Turtle was Donatello, and who gave a bo staff to their favorite OC as a teenager, I can relate.

I don't really have a favorite weapon, oddly. Is that normal? I thought giant Axes (the kind on polearms) were the most bad-ass weapons EVER, but I certainly never gave them to heroes. Staffs were cool, I dug Swords, Laser Swords, etc. I have zero opinion on guns at all, and tended towards Gimmick Users as Ranged-Weapon-Using superheroes.
I'm not really a weapons guy, myself, but if I had to use one, I was most comfortable with a staff. Several of my favorite heroes (He-Man, Leonardo) used swords, tho. And Thor-style warhammers are just awesome.

My fanboyism for martial arts, unarmed styles especially, is well known by this point.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Battle-Axe

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImageImage

BATTLE AXE (8 ep)
Place/Time of Origin:
Unknown, virtually everywhere at least once
Typical Make: Fully metal or wooden haft/handle with a giant single or double-bladed metal head.
Manner of Use: Wielded two-handedly to bring downward onto the head or other vitals.
Variants on Design: Different sizes & shapes available
Famous Wielders: Video Game "Powerhouse" characters, Dwarves in every Fantasy thing, ever

Stats: Strength-Damage +3 (Extras: Penetrating 5) -- (8 Equipment Points)
Maximum Damage: 10

Positives & Negatives:
+ Intimidation factor. Axes are frightening to face. Most people will not voluntarily lower their defenses (ie. All-Out Attack) around them.

- Can get stuck in things if you hit the wrong kind of surface (like a wooden shield, for instance).
- Relatively heavy and/or difficult to use. Some are -2 to -4 to Initiative, particularly if the user is below Strength 3.

-The Battle-Axe, most dangerous of all the melee weapons, is noted for its sheer size and the power required to wield it effectively. Some variants could even be Inaccurate if you go with the hyper-exaggerated comic-booky versions that are larger than real-world weapons tend to be. Anything overly-long is likely just a Halberd, but a giant Executioner's Axe could be seen as a Damage +4 Inaccurate weapon with tremendous Reach. Some of the "labrys" (double-headed) axes found were ceremonial things, but Fantasy often throws those weapons on Dwarves because they look super-dangerous and tough. In reality, double-headed axes were pretty rare on the field of combat.
kirinke

Re: Jab's Builds! (THUNDRA!!!! Swords! Katanas! Nunchucks! Axes!)

Post by kirinke »

With my D&D type characters, I actually prefer the mace or staff as a melee weapon (mainly because I tend to play clerics or cleric/combo characters).
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Ken

Post by Ken »

Speaking of maces and axes....

My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Giant Axes

Post by Jabroniville »

GIANT AXE OF MANLINESS (11 ep)
Place/Time of Origin:
Ceremonial object or weapon of execution; not ideal for the battlefield
Typical Make: Fully metal or wooden haft/handle with a giant single or double-bladed metal head.
Manner of Use: Wielded two-handedly to bring downward onto the head or other vitals.
Variants on Design: Different sizes & shapes available
Famous Wielders: Executioner-types, Terrax the Tamer, Persuader

Stats: Strength-Damage +4 (Feats: Reach, Improved Critical) (Extras: Penetrating 6) (Inaccurate -1) -- (11 Equipment Points)
Maximum Damage: 11

Positives & Negatives:

- Relatively heavy and/or difficult to use. -4 to Initiative if the user is below Strength 4.
- Must be used two-handed.

-Figured I'd just throw in this variant. Typically these were ceremonial objects and symbols of station; the gigantic axe haft combined with the length of the weapon makes it highly-impractical, no matter what its striking power was. The giant blades would just get caught on something (and not in the good way, the way a Halberd or Bill's edge would), and it'd take too long to swing something like this- swinging weapons should be a bit smaller. But for COMICS, these are just too bad-ass not to use.
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

Speaking of weapons, I really like how Exalted handles magic weapons compared to, say, D&D. In Exalted, magical weapons generally are better than normal weapons because they are huge. Sure, the magical materials are close enough to indestructible once the forging is complete, so they can hold a phenomenal edge basically forever, but the real magic is that attunement allows these weapons to be handled by the user as if they were much lighter and swifter*.

Someone on the Onyx Path forum once commented on their foam-weapon fighting hobby and of making such a giant sword. The "compensator" allowed them to fight off 3 of their friends, when they are usually about evenly matched one-on-one.

If anything, a real life razor-edged indestructible sword with blades "four to six feet long and often up to six inches wide" that can still be handled about as easily as a common longsword would be "realistically" even more of a megamurder tool than it is in the game XD (and consider it is being used by a divinely-empowered wuxia Conan, too!)

*There is also the fact each and every one of the artifact weapons is a unique treasure with their own themes, history and powers. No generic +X swords there. But that is not all that relevant to the huge-but-easy-to-wield thing I wanted to comment.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

My “go to” weapon in SCA Heavy Combat is my trust Dane Axe.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Scythes

Post by Jabroniville »

SCYTHE (4 ep)
Place/Time of Origin:
NEVER (500 B.C. as a farming implement)
Type of Damage: Slashing
Typical Make: Wooden or metal long handle, with a sharp implement on top, at a 90-degree-ish angle.
Manner of Use: Wielded two-handedly (usually in ranks of several men), swung downwards at an angle for cutting.
Variants on Design: Different sizes & shapes available, increasing in length and shape of the spade.
Famous Wielders: Death, Saturn

Stats: Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach 2) -- (4 Equipment Points)
Maximum Damage: 6

Positives & Negatives:
+ Looks cool. Wielding one of these makes you look like you're Death, or work for Death, or have Death-Related Powers. People will think you're a bad-ass.

- Can't hit worth shit, and will tangle on the first thing you hit. Seriously, nobody fights using polearms that have a huge 90-degree angle on them.

-Scythes are tools used for cutting plant matter, but their links to the harvest have put them into context with beings that "reap" other things, such as life. The personification of Death is said to "reap" souls using a similar weapon, which means that a lot of characters in fiction will sport such blades. As a real weapon, however, they are unknown- the only "Scythemen" of sorts are people who put the blades at the angle of a proper spear and used THOSE- certainly nothing like what Death uses. That's because things like this may look cool, but don't really work as practical weapons- it'd hurt like a bitch, but you're better just pointing the blade directly at someone rather than using the weird angle- it gives you more reach, and won't catch.

-Things like "Scythe-Swords" and the Egyptian Kopesh are either curved blades, or hooked-edged sword/knife things, lacking the polearm aspects of the Scythe.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

A scythe can be used to kill, but, well that doesn’t really make it a weapon... I mean, yes you can kill with one, you can also kill with a desk-lamp. You just bash the other skull in the head with it until they stop having brain function.

Scythes were never used as weapons of war. Even in a “peasant revolt” scenario, you’d be better served grabbing an axe, a pitchfork, or a threshing flail (all of which the typical serf would have ready access to) or a proper weapon like a spear, quarterstaff, or sword.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Yeah, the only scythes I've ever seen that looked semi-plausible were the sci-fi ones where the blade is made of energy.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ares wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:02 pm Yeah, the only scythes I've ever seen that looked semi-plausible were the sci-fi ones where the blade is made of energy.
Scythes, if actually designed as scythes, have handles set at a 90° angle to the haft and the haft itself is angled and curved to be easier to hold with the blade next to the ground, and the blade (whilst very sharp) is quite thin and flimsy... because it’s a tool for cutting grass.

Grass, as you may have heard, is not known for wearing heavy armor, using shields, or really putting up much of a fight. It doesn’t even run away very fast. Hell, grass will usually lose a fight with a cow. Its true! Scientists have proved it!

Scythes do look hella badass, when appropriate artistic steps are taken to make them not look like the medieval lawnmowers they really are. Gundam Deathscythe is awesome looking, I don’t care who you are... but you have to use super-science technobabble or magical woo-woo to make a scythe a plausible weapon.