Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Captain Beard

Re: Jab's Builds! (Orga! MUTOs! Gamera! Pacific Rim! Gipsy Danger!)

Post by Captain Beard »

(And now I get to live with the fact that my first post was an anime boobs comparison, so I got that going for me...)
"I am loyal to nothing, general-- except The Dream." -- Captain America

"I can do this all day..." --Steve Rogers
Spam

Post by Spam »

Captain Beard wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:49 pm (And now I get to live with the fact that my first post was an anime boobs comparison, so I got that going for me...)
Well, first impressioms ARE important, so it's best to start off big.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Captain Beard wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:49 pm (And now I get to live with the fact that my first post was an anime boobs comparison, so I got that going for me...)
LOL- I was a bit curious that a poster with one comment chose to respond to that particular one :).
Shock

Post by Shock »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:24 pm
LOL- I was a bit curious that a poster with one comment chose to respond to that particular one :).
Some things are important enough that lurking is no longer an option
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:55 am Wait. The MILF in the skintight silver catsuit with the great legs wasn't the one named "Gam"? This seems like an obvious oversight.
Hey! That"s my wife you are talking about! Gam is my son. But Silvar does have great legs! : :lol:

Don't you love the Internet--you are talking Goldar with Goldar!
Jabroniville

Lugo Men

Post by Jabroniville »

LUGO MEN
Role:
Space Mooks
Size: 6 feet-ish
PL 4 (63)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 4 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+4)
Perception 2 (+2)

Advantages:
Equipment 10 (Bat-Shaped Space Saucer), Ranged Attack 8, Ritualist

Powers:
"Walk Through Walls" Movement 1 (Permeate) [2]
"Human Form" Morph (Human or Lugo Man) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2, Fortitude +2, Will +0

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 7 / Defenses: 4 (63)

-The Lugo Men are the Mooks of the series- many "Costumed Warrior" shows (especially Super Sentai/Power Rangers) features such things as Mooks for a way to give the actors something to do BEFORE the big Monster Fight. Lugo Men can walk through walls or be made to resemble a normal person, and turn into green goop when vaporized by Goldar's Gamma Rays.
Jabroniville

Rodak

Post by Jabroniville »

RODAK (aka Gao)
Role:
Space Villain
Size: 6 feet-ish
PL 10 (150)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 4 (+8)
Expertise (Space Conqueror) 8 (+12)
Expertise (Magic) 7 (+12)
Intimidation 4 (+8)
Perception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 3 (+7)
Technology 6 (+11)

Advantages:
Equipment 10 (Bat-Shaped Space Saucer), Ranged Attack 8, Ritualist

Powers:
"Vague Magic Powers"
"Pain Effect" Blast 10 (Feats: Subtle 2) (Extras: Penetrating) (32) -- [35]
  • AE: Force Field 6 (6)
  • AE: Teleport 10 (Extras: Accurate) (30)
  • AE: Concealment (Visuals) 2 (4)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Pain Effect +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +4 (+10 Force Field), Fortitude +6, Will +8

Complications:
Enemy (Goldar/Ambassador Magma & Friends)

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 35 / Defenses: 14 (150)

-Rodak is the villain of the show, and throws out Energy Beams and does general "Space Wizard" stuff. He also summons the monsters, but whether or not this counts as a power since he only does it once in a blue moon is questionable.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Gamera! Pacific Rim! Gipsy Danger! Goldar!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Oops- forgot to post Daimajin. He'll have to wait until tomorrow. On to the next set!
Jabroniville

Starjammers

Post by Jabroniville »

THE STARJAMMERS:

Ah, Space Pirates... is there ANYTHING that screams "Late 1970s" more than SPACE PIRATES? I have no idea from where this came, but all I know is that it's super-dated nowadays, to the point where trotting it out is amazing :). The Starjammers were created during Chris Claremont & Dave Cockrum's run on Uncanny X-Men and typify Cockrum's Legion of Super-Heroes obsession (he used to work on that book, and brought a TON of ideas from that series to the X-Men... something I hope DC editorial were KICKING themselves over), looking pretty much like LOSH rejects from the same time period. The team is made up of Cyclops' Long-Lost Father, his hot Semi-Furry girlfriend Hepzibah, powerhouse Ch'od (huh huh), Cyborg swordsman Raza Longknife, and a medical bug thing named Sikorsky. They aided the X-Men, and later Professor Xavier, in many battles against the Shi'ar, which at that point was ruled by an ass-hat by the name of D'Ken, who wanted to rule the galaxy using the M'krann Crystal. They teamed up with Carol Danvers in her Binary persona, as well as Lilandra, the sister of D'Ken, and non-crazy potential heir to the throne.

Their origins are apparently solely tied to Cockrum, who wanted them to star in their own series. However, he was informed that both try-out books, Marvel Spotlight and Marvel Premiere, were booked for two years straight (man, can you remember when Marvel had TRY-OUT books? Instead of just foisting their characters on unproven rookies?). Eventually he just gave up and offered them to Claremont for their X-Men stuff, which probably did wonders for the group's popularity. Humorously, looking for an excuse to make the team recurring characters (why ELSE would they team up with Space Pirates?) Claremont was like "let's just make the leader Cyclops's dad".

Corsair founded the group- the long-lost father of Cyclops, he'd been captured by the Shi'ar and saw his wife murdered before his very eyes, and gathered a band of space pirates to fight them when he'd freed himself. They went on to help the X-Men unseat Emperor D'Ken from power, then ally with Lilandra and Professor X when Deathbird grabbed the throne. They would also team up with Carol Danvers in her "Binary" identity, and ally with the New Mutants against The Magus.

The team kind of outlived their usefulness once Lilandra gained the Shi'ar throne from her brother. Most of the appearances I saw of them since that time consist of them being mere errand-boys for the Good Guy Shi'ar, doing Lilandra's bidding in Operation: Galactic Storm or trying to capture Cerise in Excalibur. Once the '80s ended, they REALLY didn't show up a lot (remember the dated-ness of them), so they were pretty sporadic, rebelling against Lilandra over mistreatment of the conquered Kree (they were eventually pardoned when they saved the Shi'ar from another race).

Such was the group's disuse that they didn't even do much in Annihilation- the big Cosmic Event Series that used almost ALL of Marvel's cosmic stuff, up until War Of Kings, where Corsair was killed by his evil half-son Vulcan and the team was kinda turned into this weird X-Men/Starjammer conglomeration with Havok, Polaris, Rachel Summers/Grey and Cloud... I mean Korvus.

Eventually, Corsair returned to life, and was an important part of the Cyclops series, featuring a young time-tossed Scott Summers, who bonded with the father he'd lost as a young boy.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:56 pm Ah, Space Pirates... is there ANYTHING that screams "Late 1970s" more than SPACE PIRATES?
<looks up from his copy of E.E. Smith's Galactic Patrol, written in 1937 and featuring guess what, with a quizzical expression>
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Raza Longknife is so obviously an Eldar Corsair from Warhammer 40,000.

No, I don't care that the Starjammers first appeared in Uncanny X-Men #104 (1977) and that the 40k Eldar didn't show up until Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader was published in 1987. No, I don't have any proof that Rick Priestley or Andy Chambers ever read anything by Dave Cockrum or Chris Claremont, or vice-versa.

But, c'mon: he's a semi-magical semi-robotic Space Elf Space Pirate!
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Davies wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:08 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:56 pm Ah, Space Pirates... is there ANYTHING that screams "Late 1970s" more than SPACE PIRATES?
<looks up from his copy of E.E. Smith's Galactic Patrol, written in 1937 and featuring guess what, with a quizzical expression>
Looks up from her copy of Edgar Rice Burroughs' Pirates of Venus, first serialized in 1932, and prepares a hearty "ACK-chu-ly!"
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:54 pm Oops- forgot to post Daimajin. He'll have to wait until tomorrow. On to the next set!

excellent. i was willing to wait, but cool beans
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I didn't say the concept of Space Pirates DEBUTED in the '70s- I said it was EMBLEMATIC of them :P.
Jabroniville

Corsair

Post by Jabroniville »

CORSAIR (Christopher Summers)
Created By:
Chris Claremont & Dave Cockrum
First Appearance: The Uncanny X-Men #104 (April 1977)
Role: The Leader, Space Pirate, Long-Lost Daddy
Group Affiliations: The Starjammers, The United States Air Force
PL 9 (155)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+7)
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Space Pirate) 12 (+15)
Insight 6 (+9)
Intimdiation 3 (+6)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 8 (+11)
Stealth 4 (+8)
Technology 4 (+7)
Vehicles 6 (+11)
Vehicles 4 (+15) -- Flaws: Limited to Space Vehicles

Advantages: 
Beginner's Luck, Equipment 25, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Blaster), Inspire, Leadership, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Ranged Attack 7, Taunt, Well-Informed

Equipment:
"Blaster" Blast 6 (Extras: Multiattack) (18)
"The Starjammer" As Space Fighter (54)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Blaster +12 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +8

Complications:
Responsibility (The Starjammers)
Enemy (Magestor D'Ken, Vulcan)
Responsibility (Sons, Cyclops & Havok)
Relationship (Wife, Hepzibah)

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 60--30 / Advantages: 41 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 16 (155)

-It's actually pretty funny that Corsair was only made the father of Cyclops because Claremont wanted a reason to have to re-use Dave Cockrum's "Starjammer" characters. Before that, his story was that he was Christopher Summers, US Air Force pilot, who died in a plane crash with his wife, thus giving Cyclops that classic "Orphan Superhero" origin story (oddly, the other X-Men have parents who pretty much never factored in to any stories, despite their kids being TEENS at the start of X-Men).

-However, EVERYTHING YOU KNEW WAS WRONG, as it turns out that Christopher and his wife Katherine were actually kidnapped by Shi'ar on an exploratory mission, and Katharine was made Shi'ar Emperor D'Ken's "concubine" because of course the first human being he saw would fascinate him. Christopher was jailed, but made a daring escape, which resulted in Katharine being vaporized by D'Ken as punishment- he freed himself from jail, then went on to the only available career- Space Pirate, acting as a privateer while fighting the Shi'ar as a rebel any chance he got.

-This is CLASSIC "Claremontitis" (a name John Byrne cointed, "before it came to infect everyone else in the comic book industry")- making sure that nobody, anywhere, is ever "normal". Why Spider-Man's parents are super-spies (DUMB), everyone's ex-girlfriends are turned into super-villains, etc. But back in 1977, it was pretty unique and "woahhh..." to have an established, uh, 13-year-old character (GOD comic book history is weird when you think about it like that) turn out to have a long-lost father who was a Space Pirate.

-In any case, it's in this role as "Space Pirates" that the Starjammers met the X-Men- Corsair and Hepzibah had by this point become lovers. It was Jean Grey, as the Phoenix, who telepathically figured out who Corsair was, but Christopher insisted it be kept secret- it would be some time before the truth came out. Eventually, the X-Men unseated D'Ken from power, and Lilandra pardoned the Starjammers. However, Deathbird soon took the Shi'ar throne, and the 'Jammers & Lilandra went on the run, along with Professor X.

-Corsair didn't really do much by the 1990s- his origin story not realling fitting in with the grittiness of the '90s- "Space Pirate" was horrendously "1970s" by this point. He and Scott would only occasionally meet (hashing out why he never attempted to contact his sons while flying around in space- he felt unworthy of them. Though I've read another story indicating that he said their parachute catch fire, and assumed they had died). He was killed in one of the side X-Books when his THIRD son, Vulcan, was revealed (the infamous "Third Summers Brother", in utero with Katharine was killed)- Vulcan had slaughtered D'Ken and taken the throne, then killed Corsair when challenged.

-Corsair was inexplicably revealed to be alive during a "Young X-Men"/Guardians of the Galaxy crossover- they explained that Hepzibah had him resurrected as a cyborg (who must now regularly ingest nano-machine pills to stay alive). A teen Cyclops (time travel, remember?) is astonished to discover his father alive, and is happily reunited, the pair going off on a handful of adventures in a Cyclops book that came and went without ever meaning anything. They... really didn't have a plan for the Teen Original X-Men.

-Statting up with the rest of the Starjammers, Corsair's much less of a powerhouse, but is a versatile Skillmonkey, and really good at shooting with his Blasters. Good all-around kinda guy, he is.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.