Jab’s Builds! (Nightmare Creatures/Circus! Lawnmower Man! Metroid!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Hoid

Re: The Phone Ranger

Post by Hoid »

Arkrite wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:45 am
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:19 am Image

Man, they really PHONED IN this character's design, didn't they?
My god. I would totally use this guy at every opportunity, giving the heroes a one page victory before moving on to actual important matters.
How does he keep getting away? Well, they're required to give him one phone call...

(Please note, I don't care if that's true or not, it's funny and I'm running with it! :lol: )
He should totally team up with Peepers, an equally awesome character from the Mutant Liberation Front.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Battle Beast! Scourge Victims! Turner D. Century! Phone Ranger!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Just don't pretend he's an original character, or your players will think you're a PHONY.
Arkrite

Re: Jab's Builds! (Battle Beast! Scourge Victims! Turner D. Century! Phone Ranger!)

Post by Arkrite »

Aw, but if they know I'm using a premade character they'll think I'm just phoning it in.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Arkrite wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:52 am Aw, but if they know I'm using a premade character they'll think I'm just phoning it in.
Hold the phone- I already made that pun!
Jabroniville

Go Go Power Rangers!!!

Post by Jabroniville »

Every cover of their comic looks unspeakably awesome.

POWER RANGER TEMPLATE
PL 8 (93)
STRENGTH
2/4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4/5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+9)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 3 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Perception 4 (+6)
Vehicles 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Equipment (Weapon +1-3), Improved Critical (Chosen Weapon), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Power Attack, Set-Up, Teamwork 2

Powers:
Enhanced Strength 2 [4]
Enhanced Agility 1 [2]
Protection 2 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Power Ranger +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Weapon +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4 (+5 Power Ranger)

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (+10 Power Ranger, DC 19-20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4 (+6 Power Ranger), Fortitude +5, Will +7

Complications:
Normal Identity- Power Rangers require transformation discs to turn into their super-powered selves.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 8 / Defenses: 11 (93)

-Here's a Template for the Power Rangers, true icons of 1990s goofiness. This probably best suits the early crew, with less fancy crap and more focus on the show's standard "introduce subplot, introduce monster with putties, Rangers beat up putties in street clothes, turn to Rangers to fight more putties & villain, villain grows, Zords unite to form Megazord, Megazord loses, Megazord uses it's kill-attack to destroy monster, subplot is resolved" template. Needless to say, I was a HUGE fan of the show early on, becoming obsessed with it pretty quick, but I'd kind of trailed off by the time YTV took it off the air after some random kid was beaten to death on the playground while playing it (we didn't get Fox in Canada for at least a year or two after that), and by the time I could see the show again, I'd LONG since stopped caring, and realized how stupid it was originally as well.

-Rangers are PL 8 in combat situations, but are PL 12 when in their Zords. Now granted, the Rangers spent about 2 seconds in each episode in their actual Zords, before uniting into the Megazord, but for completion's sake, here they are. The Template assumes they're currently doing the "Ranger Weapons" style.

ImageImage

Individual Rangers mix it up with extra for Skill Points, but there are some variants.
The Billy- The dorky scientist kid, who usually has -1 to PRE, +3 to INT, and a few more points of Skills, but he gives up some Combat Proficiency, making him a PL lower than his buddies.
The Kimberly- Most girl Rangers will be weaker than their boy teammates, but have greater accuracy to make up for it, evening out.
Long-Range Weapons- Occasionally, a Ranger will have Blast 4 instead of Damage +3, costing 3 more points overall, but doing far less damage. Often will have less ranks of Unarmed Combat to be more accurate with them.
The Red Ranger- Historically the leader, Red Rangers will tend to have +1 to Attack & Defense, the Leadership Advantage, and possibly higher Will & Fortitude Saves.
The Sixth Ranger- Called by my friends "The Green Ranger", this guy tends to be stronger than the other Rangers, being one PL higher on average.

ImageImage

THE MEGAZORD
PL 14 (132)
STRENGTH
20 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -- AWARENESS -- PRESENCE --

Skills:
None

Advantages:
Power Attack, Ranged Attack 10

Powers:
"Giant Robot"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]

"Huge Size" Growth 19 (Str & Protection +19, +19 Mass, +9 Intimidation, -9 Dodge/Parry, +2 Speed, -19 Stealth) -- (168 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [39]
Protection 1 (Extras: Impervious 19) [20]
"Massive Fists" Damage 14 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) [28]

"Giant Sword It Doesn't Use Till The End" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [6]
Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Penetrating 8) (10 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+20 Damage, DC 35)
Massive Fists +14 Area (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Sword +6 (+22 Damage, DC 37)
Initiative -2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +20 (+10 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will --

Complications:
Disabled (Robotic Mecha)- The Megazord is actually a vehicle of sorts, and must be piloted by sentient beings to be capable of anything.
Disabled (Fighting Style)- The Megazord typically runs just fine, but using Accurate or Power Attack requires at least one of the Pilots to make a Skill Check.

Total: Abilities: -26 / Skills: 00--0 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 123 / Defenses: 24 (132)

ZORDS
PL 12 (88)
STRENGTH
16 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -- AWARENESS -- PRESENCE --

Skills:
None

Advantages:
Power Attack, Ranged Attack 10

Powers:
"Giant Robot"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]

"Huge Size" Growth 15 (Str & Sta +15, +15 Mass, +7 Intimidation, -7 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -15 Stealth) -- (84 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [31]
Protection 1 (Extras: Impervious 11) [12]

"Form Megazord" Summon 2 (Extras: Heroic +2, Continuous) (Flaws: Requires Other Zords, Replaces Zords) [6]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+16 Damage, DC 31)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +16 (+10 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will --

Complications:
Disabled (Robotic Mecha)- The Zords are actually vehiciles of sorts, and must be piloted by sentient beings to be capable of anything.
Disabled (Fighting Style)- The Zords typically run just fine, but using Accurate or Power Attack requires at least one of the Pilots to make a Skill Check.

Total: Abilities: -26 / Skills: 00--0 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 79 / Defenses: 24 (88)

-I figured I would include the Zords and Megazord as well :). They're pretty generic, though the shows usually add bits and pieces to them as time goes on- in the first season, the Green Ranger's introduction brings in the Dragonzord, which is nearly as powerful as the Megazord itself. It can serve as the "Body" for the Megazord itself, or be placed onto the existing Megazord like a shoulder cannon with extra power. And then THAT can sit in the Ultrasaurus, creative this giant monstrosity that never moves, but just blows stuff up with tons of firepower.

-The Zords are mostly like this, though the Red Ranger's Zord is usually larger, and the Pink Ranger's much smaller, but with Flight.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue May 17, 2022 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

So I was gonna do the Power Rangers Template for 3e, but then I checked my builds for the old one and found that I already HAD done the Template, but forgot to post it :). I then built the Zords, and called it a day.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Battle Beast! Turner D. Century! Phone Ranger! Power Rangers!)

Post by Jabroniville »

And now, for my next set... well, l know that the Legion of Super-Heroes beat it last time I did a poll. These are less diverse in power, and not themed to super-heroes very much. But... maybe I can put it best in the form of a song:

It was the heat of the moment
Telling me what my heart meant
The heat of the moment showed in your eyes
I never meant to be so bad to you
One thing I said that I would never do

HalloweeJack: "One look from you and I would fall from grace."
Ares: "And that would wipe the smile right from my face..."

All Three: "Do you remember when we used to dance? *two stomps & clap*"
BriarThrone, Thorpocalypse & L-Space: "And incidents arose from circumstance." *two stomps & clap*
Ken, scc & drkrash: "One thing led to another, we were young" *bigger stomps & clap*
ProdigyDuck, Davies & Sidious: "And we would scream together songs unsung..."

All: "It was the heat of the moment

And now you find yourself in Eighty Two
The disco hot spots hold no charm for you
You can concern yourself with bigger things
You catch a pearl and ride the dragon's wings

Cause it's the heat of the moment
Heat of the moment

And when your looks are gone and you're alone
How many nights you sit beside the phone
What were the things you wanted for yourself?
Teenage ambitions you remember well"
drkrash

Re: Jab's Builds! (Battle Beast! Turner D. Century! Phone Ranger! Power Rangers!)

Post by drkrash »

So it's either bands with one word location names, or 80s groups that failed to live up to their potential, or a template for every person on the world's most populated continent.

Sounds weird.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:16 am And now, for my next set... well, l know that the Legion of Super-Heroes beat it last time I did a poll. These are less diverse in power, and not themed to super-heroes very much. But... maybe I can put it best in the form of a song:

It was the heat of the moment
I never meant to be so bad to you
One thing I said that I would never do

HalloweeJack: "One look from you and I would fall from grace."
Ares: "And that would wipe the smile right from my face..."

All Three: "Do you remember when we used to dance? *two stomps & clap*"
BriarThrone, Thorpocalypse & L-Space: "And incidents arose from circumstance." *two stomps & clap*
Ken, scc & drkrash: "One thing led to another, we were young" *bigger stomps & clap*
ProdigyDuck, Davies & Sidious: "And we would scream together songs unsung..."

All: "It was the heat of the moment

And now you find yourself in Eighty Two
The disco hot spots hold no charm for you
You can concern yourself with bigger things
You catch a pearl and ride the dragon's wings

Cause it's the heat of the moment
Heat of the moment

And when your looks are gone and you're alone
How many nights you sit beside the phone
What were the things you wanted for yourself?
Teenage ambitions you remember well"
*Macyn does short synth solo between verse 3 and 4* :D
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:48 am So I was gonna do the Power Rangers Template for 3e, but then I checked my builds for the old one and found that I already HAD done the Template, but forgot to post it :). I then built the Zords, and called it a day.
Oh, no. You can't stop there. Ninja Storm builds or I riot. ;)

I hated the Power Rangers for years until the older Young Thorpocalypse became a fan as a I kid. I actually grew to like the campiness, especially over some of the other kid focused crap that I sat through. He's still a fan and I love to rile him up with throwaway jabs like "you know Ninja Storm was their best season" and things like that, just to get him to go on a rant.

And my goodness, Amy Jo Johnson, the original Pink Ranger...wow. Epic 90's hot.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
proditor

Post by proditor »

Loving all the stuff as usual, but I gotta say, I think in your heart, you know what the people want.

MOAR DOG SHARK!
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Thanks for redoing the Power Ranger build, as well as doing the Zords and Megazord! While I've only read one issue of the Power Rangers/Justice League comic, it seems fun. (And has stuff like Flash just running in and grabbing all the weapons of the Rangers before they can react!) Plus it has Lord Zedd, which is always good.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Overheard in November of 2016... "Omigod. They banned Kenny." "You bastard!"
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
M4C8

Re: The Phone Ranger

Post by M4C8 »

Hoid wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:35 am
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:19 am Image

Man, they really PHONED IN this character's design, didn't they?

THE PHONE RANGER (A.G. Bell)
Created By:
Kurt Busiek & James Fry
First Appearance: Marvel Age Annual #1 (1985)
Role: Joke Character
Group Affiliations: None
PL 4 (55)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 2 (+2)
Expertise (Telephone Repairman) 5 (+8)
Perception 3 (+3)
Technology 4 (+7)

Advantages: 
None

Powers:
"Headset Helmet & Costume" (Flaws: Removable) [20]
"Connections With Every Phone System" Communication 4 (Radio- Worldwide) (Extras: Area 3, Selective 3) (22)
Protection 2 (2)
-- (24 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +2 (+4 Costume), Fortitude +2, Will +1

Complications:
Motivation (Justice)

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 20 / Defenses: 4 (55)

-Don't worry- he's strictly a joke character... Kurt Busiek (then REALLY a newbie on the comics scene) created him as a joke one-shot guy for a Marvel Age annual in which a load of super-villains from the Lethal Legion attacked the MU-derived Marvel Comics HQ. The Phone Ranger (he'd gained his costume via some microscopic aliens hidden in a phone line) picked up the call for help, and threw his hat into the ring... at which point the Scourge of the Underworld shot him through the head. That would have been it, had Marvel writers had this perverse idea to bring back EVERY jobber that'd ever jobbed during Civil War, and he was seen alive being forcibly recruited by Iron Man & Spider-Man (REALLY? The PHONE RANGER required BOTH those guys? OK, so apparently there were three other jobbers there, but COME ON), explaining that his "phone cord" insulation had protected him (never mind that the bullet was clearly seen going out the back of his head).

-Incredibly, someone suggested that an ancient Strange Tales one-shot by Lee & Ditko could be the origin for this character, and Marvel eventually made that CANON (the whole "aliens trapped in the phone" thing). Comics are so weird sometimes.

-He's a PL 4 joke character, whaddaya want? He sucks like few others have sucked, though he'd at least make a pretty good Team Communications Guy. It would take like five of this guy to beat up Boomslang, let alone the Gamecock or one of the Power-Tools.
...Good Lord, this is the most beautifully ridiculous character I have ever seen. Time to convert this build to 2e! Hahaha! My players will roll their eyes in disdain! Victory!
Ridiculous yes, and yet if you told me he was a member of the rogues gallery for one of the big name characters in DC comics I'd believe you.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
M4C8

Re: Jab's Builds! (Thragg! Battle Beast! Scourge Victims! Turner D. Century!)

Post by M4C8 »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:36 am For the curious (ie. probably nobody but my list-making ass), here's what's left on the Atomic Think Tank that SOME DAY needs to be re-posted over here. Actually very few Marvel guys left. Two big DC sets (three if you include JLU). A BUNCH of Fighting Games (looking at them in order you can actually see where I got bored of superheroes and obsessed with Fighting Games, building a ton of them in a row before getting bored of those).

ATT- MARVEL UNIVERSE:
* Tiger Tyger
* The Porcupine
* Mysteria, Feta, Ternak, Chimera I
* The Circus of Crime
* Lady Punisher, Living Monolith
* The Starjammers
* Deathlok
* Mesmero
* Talos, Lady Deathstrike
* Genis, Cosmo, Midnight Sun, Tana Nile
* Maxam, Deadzone, Mojo
* Cyber, Cobweb, Terror Inc., Bloodscream, Roughouse, Modred
* The Crusader
* Freedom Ring
* Iron Fist Builds
* Crucible, Moses Magnum
* Caliber, Madelyne Pryor, Doctor Bong, Comet Man, Flag-Smasher I-II
* The Exiles
* Devlor, Vibraxas, Moonraker, The Power-Broker, Conan the Barbarian, Topaz, Celia Ricadonna, Commanda
--(56 Guys)

ATT- OTHER:
* Godzilla
* OZ, Mooks
* Astro City, DC Animated Universe
* Tomahawk, Jonny Double, Matt Savage, Titano
* Tobias Whale, Killer Moth
* HBO's Rome
* Mortal Kombat
* Disney Builds
* Mario Bros., WWF WrestleMania, The Head, Little Shop of Horrors
* He-Man, She-Ra, Visionaries
* Legion of Super-Heroes, Legion of Super-Villains, The Khunds
* Preacher, Hitman
* Teen Titans, The Hangmen, Titans Foes
* Killer Instinct, Eternal Champions, World Heroes, Princess Bride, Weapons, The Mighty Crusaders, The Simpsons
* Angie Thriller
Hmm.. did you mean Fera? or is there a cheesy Greek hero I don't know about.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'