Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
catsi563

Re: Jab's Builds! (Thragg! Battle Beast! Scourge Victims! Turner D. Century!)

Post by catsi563 »

see as silly as the guy is done right he could be an interesting one note batman villain or villain for a PCs street vigilante. you give him the same motivation wantinting to return the country to its more classic roots and sensibilities, give him MORE gimmicks such as the hat being special or the suit having some protection. Make the lady on the back of the bike an android that does the heavy lifting and hitting. give the unmbrella a few penguin inspired tricks.

then after goons weeping through his minions they finally take down the thingamajig and send him packing back to belleview or Arkham or some such.

done right a villain with an interesting twist. done wrong? see the above catastrophe :P
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

catsi563 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:43 am see as silly as the guy is done right he could be an interesting one note batman villain or villain for a PCs street vigilante. you give him the same motivation wantinting to return the country to its more classic roots and sensibilities, give him MORE gimmicks such as the hat being special or the suit having some protection. Make the lady on the back of the bike an android that does the heavy lifting and hitting. give the unmbrella a few penguin inspired tricks.

then after goons weeping through his minions they finally take down the thingamajig and send him packing back to belleview or Arkham or some such.

done right a villain with an interesting twist. done wrong? see the above catastrophe :P
Well he'll always probably be terrible, but your way doesn't make him AS BAD. Though he's ideal as a "Stupid Villain" these days- a one-off goober who the heroes get to make fun of.

But the guy obsessed with nostalgia for a "Simpler Time" that was definitely not that great? That's a good "hook" for a villain. Let's just say there are certain folk not so eager to go back to the 1950s.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

For the curious (ie. probably nobody but my list-making ass), here's what's left on the Atomic Think Tank that SOME DAY needs to be re-posted over here. Actually very few Marvel guys left. Two big DC sets (three if you include JLU). A BUNCH of Fighting Games (looking at them in order you can actually see where I got bored of superheroes and obsessed with Fighting Games, building a ton of them in a row before getting bored of those).

ATT- MARVEL UNIVERSE:
* Tiger Tyger
* The Porcupine
* Mysteria, Feta, Ternak, Chimera I
* The Circus of Crime
* Lady Punisher, Living Monolith
* The Starjammers
* Deathlok
* Mesmero
* Talos, Lady Deathstrike
* Genis, Cosmo, Midnight Sun, Tana Nile
* Maxam, Deadzone, Mojo
* Cyber, Cobweb, Terror Inc., Bloodscream, Roughouse, Modred
* The Crusader
* Freedom Ring
* Iron Fist Builds
* Crucible, Moses Magnum
* Caliber, Madelyne Pryor, Doctor Bong, Comet Man, Flag-Smasher I-II
* The Exiles
* Devlor, Vibraxas, Moonraker, The Power-Broker, Conan the Barbarian, Topaz, Celia Ricadonna, Commanda
--(56 Guys)

ATT- OTHER:
* Godzilla
* OZ, Mooks
* Astro City, DC Animated Universe
* Tomahawk, Jonny Double, Matt Savage, Titano
* Tobias Whale, Killer Moth
* HBO's Rome
* Mortal Kombat
* Disney Builds
* Mario Bros., WWF WrestleMania, The Head, Little Shop of Horrors
* He-Man, She-Ra, Visionaries
* Legion of Super-Heroes, Legion of Super-Villains, The Khunds
* Preacher, Hitman
* Teen Titans, The Hangmen, Titans Foes
* Killer Instinct, Eternal Champions, World Heroes, Princess Bride, Weapons, The Mighty Crusaders, The Simpsons
* Angie Thriller
L-Space

Re: Scourge Builds

Post by L-Space »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:25 am Image
I just want to know why Death Adder was taking a cab of all things?! He's a super-villain, he didn't have some other means of transportation?
Formerly luketheduke86
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

If I recall correctly Death Adder did not have other transport at the time. The transport he was using if I recall suffered some sort of engin e failure I think it was shot by scourge. The ship crashed and he was forced to hoof it. he jumped in a cab and threatened the driver who started driving before shooting Deatha dder through the seat.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Catsi stories
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I believe Deathadder and that Serpent Society member with the bionic jaw had just murdered MODOK when Capt. America showed up, forcing both criminals to flee the scene. Adder took a cab because he had no other transport and it was the quickest way to get off the streets.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Ares wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:30 pm I believe Deathadder and that Serpent Society member with the bionic jaw had just murdered MODOK when Capt. America showed up, forcing both criminals to flee the scene. Adder took a cab because he had no other transport and it was the quickest way to get off the streets.
Yeah i think thats it actually. I have the comic somehwere I do remember his death happend jsut after the Modok assasination and the Societies fight with Captain America

Catsi stories
Spam

Post by Spam »

Take a cab. The true jobber's escape plan after an assassination.
Jabroniville

Hellrazor

Post by Jabroniville »

HELLRAZOR (Denton Phelps)
Created By:
Steven Grant & Gene Colan
First Appearance: Marvel Team-Up #87 (Nov. 1979)
Role: One-Shot Villain
Group Affiliations: Roxxon Oil Corporation
PL 7 (92)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 2 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Deception 6 (+7)
Expertise (Criminal) 3 (+3)
Intimidation 3 (+4)
Perception 4 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Blades) 4 (+9)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Blades), Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Hellrazor Gauntlets" (Flaws: Removable) [16]
"Firing Blades" Blast 6 (Extras: Multiattack) (18)
"Wrist Blades" Strength-Damage +2 (2)
-- (20 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Wrist Blades +6 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Firing Blades +9 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +6, Fortitude +8, Will +2

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Power Loss- Hellrazor requires occasional power-ups to keep his superhuman abilities going. He can use nearly any power source for this, though.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 16 / Defenses: 9 (92)

-Hellrazor's got all the markings of the perfect Scourge victim- lazy costume design (just a yellow '70s open-chested set of tights with flared shoulders), unexplained origin (he's just a hired goon), inconsistent powers (he's strong, but only sometimes, and can be KO'd in one punch by the Black Panther), a bad power-set, and he debuted in Marvel Team-Up. He mimicked the Black Panther in order to discredit him (and of course set off a fight between T'Challa and Spidey- who should really have known better by this point after the same crap happened to him like fifty times), and came in with a bunch of goons to kill them, but got knocked out when Spidey disarmed him after faking injury. He was MOST upset when it turned out that none of the other villains in "The Bar With No Name" had heard of him, but then Scourge pulled out a shotgun and executed the entire group, rendering his complaints moot.

-Just a standard PL 7 Melee Fighter/Blaster combo, with mild superhuman strength enough to challenge a hero for a round or two, but ultimately not enough to be really effective. He did OK against Spidey & the Panther (both probably PL 10s at this point), but like most villains, he tends to do really good in his debut (while the heroes are unaware of his abilities), and then done away with REALLY fast once they figure him out.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue May 17, 2022 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

I did like how Deadpool gave some props to Turner there.

Something like "machine guns, grenades.....but an umbrella flame thrower?! That's just sadistic."
Jabroniville

Hijacker (Mitchell)

Post by Jabroniville »

THE HIJACKER I (Howard Mitchell)
Created By:
Stan Lee, Larry Lieber & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Tales to Astonish #40 (Feb. 1963)
Role: One-Shot Villain
Group Affiliations: None
PL 7 (82)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills: 
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+5)
Deception 5 (+7)
Expertise (Criminal) 3 (+5)
Expertise (Armoured Truck Business Owner) 4 (+6)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Technology 3 (+5)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages: 
Equipment 18, Second Chance (Deception Involving Last-Minute Tricks)

Powers:
"Vario-Blaster" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [15]
"Nerve Gas" Affliction 7 (Fort; Fatigued & Dazed/Stunned & Defenseless/Paralyzed) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cloud, Cumulative) (21) -- (24 points)
  • AE: "Nuclear Flame/Ionic Blasts" Blast 10 (Feats: Variable Descriptor) (21)
  • AE: "Automatic Setting" Blast 8 (Extras: Multiattack) (24)
  • AE: "Activator Beam" Transform 4 (Inactive Machinery to Active) (Feats: Increased Mass 8- 6 tons) (Extras: Ranged) (20)
Powers:
"Heavy Body-Suit" (16 points)
Immunity 5 (Drowning & Suffocation, Cold, Heat, Radiation) (5)
Protection 4 (Extras: Impervious 7) (11)

"Crime-Tank" (Base Cost: 59) (Total Cost: 70 points)
Size: Gargantuan (1)
Strength: 12 (-2)
Speed 4 (30 mph)
Defense 4 (-2)
Toughness 14
Impervious Toughness 13 (7)
Features: Living Area (1)

Weapons:
Blast 12 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst for 8 Ranks) (6)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Nerve Gas +7 Area (+7 Affliction, DC 17)
Blaster +4 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Automatic +4 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +2 (+6 Heavy Body-Suit), Fortitude +4, Will +2

Complications:
Motivation (Power)

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 15 / Defenses: 9 (82)

-The Hijacker was a one-shot villain who showed up in an early Ant-Man story, and was a typically half-assed Lee/Kirby "Ant-Man" concept- they could dog it with the BEST of them, especially on the bottom-tier Pym feature. He's a big, ugly old man who was a business owner that theorized that his company's armored trucks could be perfect instruments of crime. It was a weak-ass idea, and his costume was just a big brown Radiation Suit-lookin' thing (like a poo-coloured Human Bomb), but they brought him back for a Marvel Two-In-One (a Team-Up book starring The Thing), in which Ben Grimm & Black Goliath teamed up to beat him. This two-appearance character was PERFECT for being victimized by the Scourge of the Underworld- he was gunned down with 17 others in The Bar With No Name.

-The Hijacker was resurrected along with several other villains by Dormammu, in an attempt by The Hood to kill The Punisher. He chases Punisher around in his tank, but Punisher uses Pym Particles to shrink down, take control of the tank, and crash it into a building. He uses the gases in the tank on The Basilisk (who is holding G.W. Bridge hostage). He is later seen during the Spider Island storyline, where he robs a bank, but is pursed by Flash "Venom" Thompson- when the fight endangers a mother and child, Flash loses his temper and BITES THE VILLAIN'S HEAD OFF, which seems a bit more extreme than I remember FlashVenom being.

-A second Hijacker appears in the Scott Lang Ant-Man comic, as an unnamed mercenary who borrows nanites from Overdrive in order to take control of vehicles. Lang hires him on as part of his security firm, but he leaves when Lang gets arrested.

-Hijacker sucks pretty explosively, being a PL 7 non-combatant with a gimmicked weapon and a vehicle. His Tank makes him far tougher than he himself is, and does a lot more damage. His weapons are high-powered, and the Nerve Gas can be pretty scary, but still.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue May 17, 2022 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

The Phone Ranger

Post by Jabroniville »

Man, they really PHONED IN this character's design, didn't they?

THE PHONE RANGER (A.G. Bell)
Created By:
Kurt Busiek & James Fry
First Appearance: Marvel Age Annual #1 (1985)
Role: Joke Character
PL 4 (55)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 2 (+2)
Expertise (Telephone Repairman) 5 (+8)
Perception 3 (+3)
Technology 4 (+7)

Advantages: 
None

Powers:
"Headset Helmet & Costume" (Flaws: Removable) [20]
"Connections With Every Phone System" Communication 4 (Radio- Worldwide) (Extras: Area 3, Selective 3) (22)
Protection 2 (2)
-- (24 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +2 (+4 Costume), Fortitude +2, Will +1

Complications:
Motivation (Justice)

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 20 / Defenses: 4 (55)

-Don't worry- he's strictly a joke character... Kurt Busiek (then REALLY a newbie on the comics scene) created him as a joke one-shot guy for a Marvel Age annual in which a load of super-villains from the Lethal Legion attacked the MU-derived Marvel Comics HQ. The Phone Ranger (he'd gained his costume via some microscopic aliens hidden in a phone line) picked up the call for help, and threw his hat into the ring... at which point the Scourge of the Underworld shot him through the head. That would have been it, had Marvel writers had this perverse idea to bring back EVERY jobber that'd ever jobbed during Civil War, and he was seen alive being forcibly recruited by Iron Man & Spider-Man (REALLY? The PHONE RANGER required BOTH those guys? OK, so apparently there were three other jobbers there, but COME ON), explaining that his "phone cord" insulation had protected him (never mind that the bullet was clearly seen going out the back of his head).

-Incredibly, someone suggested that an ancient Strange Tales one-shot by Lee & Ditko could be the origin for this character, and Marvel eventually made that CANON (the whole "aliens trapped in the phone" thing). Comics are so weird sometimes.

-He's a PL 4 joke character, whaddaya want? He sucks like few others have sucked, though he'd at least make a pretty good Team Communications Guy. It would take like five of this guy to beat up Boomslang, let alone the Gamecock or one of the Power-Tools.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue May 17, 2022 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoid

Re: The Phone Ranger

Post by Hoid »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:19 am Image

THE PHONE RANGER (A.G. Bell)
Created By:
Kurt Busiek & James Fry
First Appearance: Marvel Age Annual #1 (1985)
Role: Joke Character
PL 4 (55)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 2 (+2)
Expertise (Telephone Repairman) 5 (+8)
Perception 3 (+3)
Technology 4 (+7)

Advantages: 
None

Powers:
"Headset Helmet & Costume" (Flaws: Removable) [20]
"Connections With Every Phone System" Communication 4 (Radio- Worldwide) (Extras: Area 3, Selective 3) (22)
Protection 2 (2)
-- (24 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +2 (+4 Costume), Fortitude +2, Will +1

Complications:
Motivation (Justice)

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 20 / Defenses: 4 (55)

-Don't worry- he's strictly a joke character... Kurt Busiek (then REALLY a newbie on the comics scene) created him as a joke one-shot guy for a Marvel Age annual in which a load of super-villains from the Lethal Legion attacked the MU-derived Marvel Comics HQ. The Phone Ranger (he'd gained his costume via some microscopic aliens hidden in a phone line) picked up the call for help, and threw his hat into the ring... at which point the Scourge of the Underworld shot him through the head. That would have been it, had Marvel writers had this perverse idea to bring back EVERY jobber that'd ever jobbed during Civil War, and he was seen alive being forcibly recruited by Iron Man & Spider-Man (REALLY? The PHONE RANGER required BOTH those guys? OK, so apparently there were three other jobbers there, but COME ON), explaining that his "phone cord" insulation had protected him (never mind that the bullet was clearly seen going out the back of his head).

-Incredibly, someone suggested that an ancient Strange Tales one-shot by Lee & Ditko could be the origin for this character, and Marvel eventually made that CANON (the whole "aliens trapped in the phone" thing). Comics are so weird sometimes.

-He's a PL 4 joke character, whaddaya want? He sucks like few others have sucked, though he'd at least make a pretty good Team Communications Guy. It would take like five of this guy to beat up Boomslang, let alone the Gamecock or one of the Power-Tools.
...Good Lord, this is the most beautifully ridiculous character I have ever seen. Time to convert this build to 2e! Hahaha! My players will roll their eyes in disdain! Victory!
Arkrite

Re: The Phone Ranger

Post by Arkrite »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:19 am Image

My god. I would totally use this guy at every opportunity, giving the heroes a one page victory before moving on to actual important matters.
How does he keep getting away? Well, they're required to give him one phone call...

(Please note, I don't care if that's true or not, it's funny and I'm running with it! :lol: )
danelsan

Re: Jab's Builds! (Battle Beast! Scourge Victims! Turner D. Century! Phone Ranger!)

Post by danelsan »

I wonder...if he appeared in something like that all-ages Marvel Adventures line, would the younger readers even know what the hell is that in his head?

(by the way, that looks REALLY uncomfortable to wear, considering the "phone" doesn't appear to allow much neck movement and the its base is straight lines, not conforming at all to the curves of his trapezius and chest)
Last edited by danelsan on Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.