Batgirl III's Character Thread (Simon Baz, Lady Shiva)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Batgirl III

Re: Batgirl III's Character Thread (Buffy, Faith)

Post by Batgirl III »

Xander learned Latin while in high school. In his free time.

My mum is an honest to god university professor of Latin. I still only managed to squeak out a barely passing grade on my GCE in Latin. Despite having had formal classes on it during Sixth Form and casually having it drilled into my head from early childhood. I’m no super-genius, but I like to think I’m somewhere between average to above-average intellectually.

(Yes, I spent ages 15-18 attending school in the U.K.; No, I can’t do a sexy RP accent, but can manage a good approximation of Estuary English; Yes, it did make providing “high school transcripts” an absolute cluster-frak when I enlisted.)
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

That's why i had my HS copy my transcripts for me day after i graduated as i'd ORIGINALLY intended to go into the Marines, but just couldn't drop One Gorramed pound.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

MacynSnow wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:34 pm That's why i had my HS copy my transcripts for me day after i graduated as i'd ORIGINALLY intended to go into the Marines, but just couldn't drop One Gorramed pound.
They kept you out of the Corps for being one pound overweight? They must have been hitting their recruitment numbers really damn well that year, most recruiting personnel in my experience... Well, I'm not going to say they would ever lie on official intake documents, but, let's say that they could be creative in interpreting the ambiguous results of a tape measure or scales. I know of several men and women in various branches of the service who were (or are) a little too short or a little too heavy, if not for some generous rounding up and/or rounding down with the measurements.

And one pound? Hell, the average Paris Island drill instructor can cause a new recruit to sweat off a pound just by staring at them. If they launch a "shark attack" at you, you'll 💩 at least five pounds of weight. I went through boot camp twenty-one years ago. For a different service. I'm retired now. A family friend retired from the USMC in the Seventies... She can still get me to jump out of my chair when she turns on her "Drill Instructor Voice."

I didn't have problems obtaining the paperwork (I'm a bureaucrat by nature so I kept multiple hard copies and digital copies), where I ran into issues was constantly having to explain to people that I didn't go to "high school," didn't have a "high school diploma," and so forth. Dual citizenship (US/UK) proved to be an absolute nightmare later in my career, so I formally gave up my UK citizenship in 2002.
Batgirl III

Tiny Jewish Santa

Post by Batgirl III »

Willow
Circa BtVS Season Five
Power Level 5 ( 75 PP )

Prophecy Girl (S.1 E.12) wrote:Willow: Even I was bored. And I'm a science nerd.

Buffy: Don't say that.

Willow: I'm not ashamed. It's the computer age. Nerds are in. (They're still in, right?)
ABILITIES
Strength -1
Stamina 1
Agility 0
Dexterity 0
Fighting 2
Intellect 5
Awareness 1
Presence 3

SKILLS
Acrobatics 3 (+3); Close Combat [Unarmed] 3 (+5); Expertise [Magic] 3 (+8); Expertise [Current Events] 1 (+6); Expertise [Dead Languages*] 1 (+6); Expertise [Science] 5 (+10); Investigation 1 (+6); Technology 3 (+8); Vehicles 2 (+2)

ADVANTAGES
Beginner's Luck, Eidetic Memory, Equipment (1), Luck (2), Ritualist, Sidekick [Tara (6)], Teamwork

POWERS
Badass Wicca Variable 3 (F: Check Required [Expertise: Magic, DC15], Slow, Tiring [Two Ranks]) [ 11 PP ]

EQUIPMENT
Wooden Stake Damage 1 (Strength-based; E: Feature - Counts as Improvised Weapon) [ 2 EP ]
Wiccan Library Enhanced Advantage 1 (Artificer); Enhanced Skill 2 (Expertise: Magic +2, Investigation +2) [ 3 EP ]
Tara Maclay
Tara
Power Level 3 ( 30 PP )
Who Are You? (S.4, E.16) wrote:Tara: I am, you know.

Willow: What?

Tara: Yours.
ABILITIES
Strength 0
Stamina 0
Agility 0
Dexterity 0
Fighting 2
Intellect 2
Awareness 2
Presence 2

POWERS
Aura Reading Senses 1 (Mental: Magical Awareness) [ 1 PP ]

ADVANTAGES
Ritualist, Teamwork

SKILLS
Diplomacy 3 (+5); Expertise [Dead Languages*] 2 (+4); Expertise [Magic] 3 (+5); Expertise [Wiccan Lore] 3 (+5); Investigation 1 (+3)

EQUIPMENT
Wooden Stake Damage 1 (Strength-based; E: Feature - Counts as Improvised Weapon) [ 2 EP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (2) Base 2
Parry: (2) Base 0
Fortitude: (1) Base 1
Toughness: (0) Base -
Will: (4) Base 2

WORKSHEET
Attack 2 Effect 0 Total: 2 (Unarmed)
Dodge 0 Tough. 0 Total: 0
Parry 2 Tough. 0 Total: 2
Fort. 2 Will 4 Total: 6

ABILITIES [ 16 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 6 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 2 pp ] +
POWERS [ 1 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 5 pp ] =
30 PP TOTAL[/size]

DEFENSE
Dodge (5) Base 5
Parry: (5) Base 3
Fortitude: (5) Base 4
Toughness: (1) Base -
Will: (8) Base 7

WORKSHEET
Attack 5 Effect -1 Total: 4 (Unarmed)
Attack 5 Effect 0 Total: 5 (Wooden Stake)
Dodge 5 Tough. 1 Total: 6
Parry 5 Tough. 1 Total: 6
Fort. 2 Will 8 Total: 10

COMPLICATIONS
RELATIONSHIPS (B.F.F.s): Willow's closest relationships are with her girlfriend, Tara, and her best friends, Buffy and Xander. Other important people in her life include her mentor, Giles, and her complicated relationship with her first love, Oz.

RESPONSIBILITY (Honor Roll with Honors): Willow has a strict moral code, she will not lie, betray friends or loved ones, or do anything to hurt the people she respects.

PREJUDICE (Jewish Lesbian Nerdy Witch): For various reasons and at various times, Willow sometimes feels different or isolated from the rest of the crowd. Willow has come a long way since her extreme wallflower tendencies of high school, but deep down seems to feel she must always work hard to gain the trust, acceptance, and approval of others.

ABILITIES [ 22 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 11 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 13 pp ] +
POWERS [ 11 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 19 pp ] =
76 PP TOTAL

BACKGROUND
Base of Operations: Stevenson Hall Room #214, UCSD, Sunnydale CA
Date of Birth: 1981
Height: 5'3" (1.60 m)
Weight: 117 lbs (53 kg)
Eyes: The most heartbreaking image ever shown on television when crying
Hair: Very Red
Notable Relatives: Sheila Rosenberg (Mother), Ira Rosenberg (Father)
Identity: Public
Status: Citizen of the United States with no criminal record.

The Spock to Xander's McCoy and Buffy's Kirk, Willow was originally a sweet, nerdy, wallflower with impressive computer skills, very odd fashion sense, and an unrequited crush on the oblivious Xander. Willow casts her first spell in Season Two, setting her on a new path and takes over teaching Mrs. Calendar’s computer class, which begins to give Willow the confidence to start shedding her wallflower tendencies. Her re-ensoulment of Angel during the finale of Season Two and a summer doing the Slayer’s job prior to Season Three brings her greater abilities, magical and combat oriented. Her relationship with Oz intensifies throughout Season Three, dating a musician really seems to end her misfit social status. Season Four sees even bigger changes in her life, a new look, a new attitude, new levels of magical power and a new sexuality. It's a big year.

By Season Five, Willow has grown into a veteran Scooby and started to develop powerful magic abilities. Most sorcerers and witches in the Buffy 'verse cannot perform any magic without rituals, amulets, and/or arcane tomes. At this point in her growth as a Wicca, Willow is regularly casting small magic spells with a few words and gestures. But as Glory will learn at the end of Season Five, she has the potential to tap into a very, very scary level of power when her loved ones are harmed.

Introduced midway through Season Four, Tara Maclay, inherited Willow's old role as the mousy wallflower. At first she operates under the false belief that she is a demon - a nasty lie created by her family - but her deep love for Willow and acceptance as one of the family by the Scooby Gang rights that wrong early in Season Five. After Tara is freed from her family's lies and threats she begins to shed her wallflower ways, morphing into something of the "team mom" for the Scooby Gang. By Season Six, her increased magical prowess (and even some combat skills and better defenses) develop her past the point of being a Sidekick into an independent PL5 hero. She even earns a place in the opening credits in S.6 E.19 "Seeing Red." Unfortunately, this is a Joss Whedon show...
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I HATED how Whedon felt he needed to force issues on characters that didn't NEED to have them, especially in Season Sux(Buffy's Messed-up behavior, Willow's Magic Addiction, Xander's Fear of Repeating the past, Tara's forced Doormat nature, allowing Spike into the group, etc.). Tara's death was what almost made me stop watching, as Joss seemed to REALLY have it out for her Actress...
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Also, Tara's picture ain't working.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

BtVS found its voice in Season Two, reached it's peak in Season Three (with the Mayor and Evil Faith), stumbled a bit in Season Four (the very bland Adam and the Initiative), seemed about to recover it's footing in Season Five... and then just sort of stumbled and staggered its way to the finale. I still watched the show religiously for its entire run and it'll probably always be one of my favorite shows... But, yeah, the later seasons aren't nearly as good as the early ones.

Joss Whedon needs to take a page out of British television's production practices: series with a limited number of episodes and a lengthy hiatus between series (and only make follow up series if you really feel like you have a good story to tell).
marcoasalazarm

Post by marcoasalazarm »

I never really liked the whole “short season” concept at all (I’m just too paranoid about shows being cancelled right out of the gate when I hear they get less than 20 episodes and shall always be, unless we are talking miniseries), but I am okay with a quantity for quality trade-off (unfortunately, that is the issue with most short-form seasons, I think: they try too hard to shove an arc that would have flowed naturally in, let us say for example, 15 episodes, within 10. Seems to be that most production companies only bother to say the season’s cut down/the show has been cancelled and things need to be wrapped up ASAP at the very last second).
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Fawlty Towers consists of two six-episode series, one in 1975 and the other in 1979. Its generally regarded as one of the greatest sitcoms of all time.

The original UK version of The Office had two sex-episodes series and a Christmas Special. The American version had 201 episodes... and just about everyone who watched it will complain that the show began to drag at some point or another.

People have been complaining about “seasonal rot” of The Simpsons for over twenty-years.

Nah, give me a show where the creative team has a firm plan for a beginning, middle, and end. Ongoing series without an endgame just drag...
Davies

Post by Davies »

The problem is not unlike that of the recording industry, where someone once said, "you have your whole life to come up with material for your first album, and then a few months to come up with material for your second."
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Davies wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:08 am The problem is not unlike that of the recording industry, where someone once said, "you have your whole life to come up with material for your first album, and then a few months to come up with material for your second."
That’s one of the strengths of “British Brevity” model. One writer (who is also often a director or producer) usually does all of the story and the bulk of the teleplays... and then they take a year or several years before the next. There’s no pressure to get a whole season on 24+ episodes pumped out during the three month summer break.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Yeah, the brit way of doing TV seems to work really well(if the BBC doesn't decide to destroy it like they did current Who).One of my favorite PBS show's as a kid was Dr.Who(They used to show it on Wonderworks every other week).I had no clue at the time that it was a British produced show and only found out when i was 17. Even back in the 80's-90's, i noticed that the Who stories were so much tighter and better woven together(i had my first RL TV crush on Sarah Jane) and HATED having to miss an episode due to ADULT stuff.It was hard enough sometimes to keep the plot straight(i had a small notebook SPECIFICALLY for the current Who plot, it could get THAT confusing sometimes)....
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:38 pm BtVS found its voice in Season Two, reached it's peak in Season Three (with the Mayor and Evil Faith), stumbled a bit in Season Four (the very bland Adam and the Initiative), seemed about to recover it's footing in Season Five... and then just sort of stumbled and staggered its way to the finale. I still watched the show religiously for its entire run and it'll probably always be one of my favorite shows... But, yeah, the later seasons aren't nearly as good as the early ones.

Joss Whedon needs to take a page out of British television's production practices: series with a limited number of episodes and a lengthy hiatus between series (and only make follow up series if you really feel like you have a good story to tell).
My general idea is that the ideal length of a TV season is between 13 and 20 episodes, depending on the nature of the show (a purely episodic format has a bit more of a buffer zone). The common US format with 26 episodes is really too long, forcing to either water down the main story arcs or insert a crapton of filler/bottle episodes.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Batgirl III

Not The Taster's Choice Guy

Post by Batgirl III »

Boom! Studios

Dark Horse Comics

Ombura

GILES
Circa BtVS Season Five
Power Level 5 ( 75 PP )

Hush (S.4, E.10) wrote:Olivia: All the time you used to talk to me about witchcraft and darkness and the like— I just thought you were being pretentious.

Giles: Oh I was. I was also right.

Olivia: So everything you told me was true.

Giles: Well no, um, I wasn't actually one of the original members of Pink Floyd. But the monster stuff, yes.
ABILITIES
Strength 1
Stamina 2
Agility 2
Dexterity 2
Fighting 4
Intellect 4
Awareness 1
Presence 4

ADVANTAGES
Assessment, Benefit [Wealth (1)], Contacts, Defensive Attack, Eidetic Memory, Equipment (4), Improvised Weapon (1), Leadership, Ritualist, Well-Informed

SKILLS
Close Combat [Archaic Weapons] 2 (+6); Close Combat [Unarmed] 1 (+5); Deception 6 (+10); Expertise [Arcane Lore] 6 (+10); Expertise [Dead Languages*] 2 (+6); Expertise [Vampires & Demons] 4 (+8); Insight 4 (+5); Intimidation 1 (+5); Persuasion 4 (+8); Ranged Combat [Crossbows] 3 (+5); Treatment 1 (+5)

POWERS
Ripper Enhanced Advantage 1 (Ultimate Intimidation) [ 1 PP ]

EQUIPMENT

Cabinet Full of Weapons (Array; 10 EP)
Arming Sword Damage 3 (Strength-based; E: Improved Critical [1]) [ 4 EP ]
AE: Battleaxe Damage 3 (Strength-based; E: Penetrating [1]) [ 1 EP ]
AE: Chainsaw Damage 6 (F: Activation [Move, -1], Distracting) [ 1 EP ]
AE: Crossbow Damage 3 (E: Improved Critical [1], Ranged; F: Distracting) [ 1 EP ]
AE: Spear Damage 3 (Strength-based; E: Reach [1]) [ 1 EP ]
AE: Holy Water Vials Affliction 4 (Resist: Dodge; Recover: Will; Conditions: Impaired, Disabled; E: Cumulative, Ranged; F: Limited to Two Degress, Limited to Vampires) [ 1 PP ]
AE: Holy Cross Affliction 4 (Resist/Recover: Will; Conditions: Entranced, Compelled; E: Ranged, Progressive; F: Limited to Two Degress, Limited to Repulsion, Limited to Vampires) [ 1 PP ]

The Magic Box (3 EP)
Size: Tiny [ -1 EP ]
Toughness: 6 [ 0 EP ]
Features: Gym, Library, Secret (DC10), Security System [ 4 EP ]

Mid-Life Crisis Sportscar (5 EP)
Size: Large [ 1 EP ]
Strength: 4 [ 0 EP ]
Speed: 5 [ 5 EP ]
Defense: 8 [ 0 EP ]
Toughness: 6 [ -1 EP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (4) Base 2
Parry: (4) Base 0
Fortitude: (4) Base 2
Toughness: (2) Base -
Will: (6) Base 2

WORKSHEET
Attack 5 Effect 1 Total: 6 (Unarmed)
Attack 5 Effect 3 Total: 8 (Wooden Stake)
Attack 6 Effect 4 Total: 6 (Arming Sword)
Attack 6 Effect 4 Total: 6 (Battleaxe)
Attack 4 Effect 6 Total: 10 (Chainsaw)
Attack 5 Effect 3 Total: 8 (Crossbow)
Attack 6 Effect 4 Total: 6 (Spear)
Dodge 4 Tough. 2 Total: 6
Parry 4 Tough. 2 Total: 6
Fort. 4 Will 6 Total: 10

COMPLICATIONS
NEMESIS (Ethan Rayne): As her Watcher, the enemies of Buffy are the enemies of Giles, and she doesn't lack for those. However, Giles has a longstanding rivalry with Ethan Rayne that stretches back to the darker days of his misspent youth. Their hatred of each other is intimate and passionate... in a way that has fueled waaaaaay too much slashfic. None of which was written by me and you can't prove otherwise.

RELATIONSHIPS (Team Dad): Giles' most intense relationship his his fatherly bond with Buffy, and his is also very fond of the other Summers women: Joyce and Dawn. Xander, Willow, and the rest of the extended Scooby Gang are also important to him.

REPSONSIBILITY (Buffy's Father Figure): Giles' sense of responsibility to Buffy has grown far beyond the typical Watcher/Slayer dynamic. He also carries a deep-seated need to use his knowledge to fight the forces of darkness and had been hunting demons for more than a decade before he came to Sunnydale.

SECRET (Ripper): Rupert does his best to come across as the champion of innocents and all things pure and good, the tweed-clad guardian of the Slayer and her kin. But this persona sometimes slips, revealing that his darker days of black magic and violence are still with him. He hates to let Buffy of any of her friends see this side of him.

ABILITIES [ 40 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 15 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 13 pp ] +
POWERS [ 1 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 6 pp ] =
75 PP TOTAL

BACKGROUND
Base of Operations: The Magic Box, Main Street, Sunnydale CA
Date of Birth: Totally Old
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 168 lbs
Eyes: Green
Hair: Greying Brown
Notable Relatives: None
Identity: Secret
Status: Subject of the United Kingdom, Resident Alien in the United States

Rupert Giles had all intentions of becoming a fighter pilot for the Royal Air Force, growing up… that, or maybe a grocer. Either way, his dreams were shattered at the age of ten. His father came to him and explained that young Rupert was to one day be the Watcher of the Slayer, as the elder Giles was now, and his mother before him.

Rupert tried to accept his destiny, but it was too much for a young man to have a destiny. So, during his college years, he rebelled, finding himself involved in many dangerous things, including drugs and dark cults. After time, and a personal crisis, however, he went back to accepting his destiny as Watcher.

Eventually, Giles was assigned to Sunnydale, California. There he was to await the Slayer, whoever and whenever she may be. Knowing that she would, in all likelihood, be a young high school girl, Giles took a “cover” job as librarian at Sunnydale High School. There, he soon learned that the local students and faculty rarely, if ever, visited the library, so he moved much of his private occult collection to the shelves.

Giles met the new Slayer, Buffy Summers, the day she enrolled at Sunnydale High. He recognized her instantly and began to explain who he was. He then learned that she was not interested in her career as Slayer, after trouble she faced at her previous school for such adventuring. A crisis, however, brought the mismatched pair (and some additional friends) together. Then things got... complicated.

Earlier in his career, Giles comes off occasionally as “exceedingly British”—highly intelligent, a rare, but dry, biting sense of humor, a strong sense of responsibility, and a very proper sense of fashion (i.e., he considers it rather unimportant). He “consulted his books” often, and Buffy referred to him as a “textbook with arms.”

Even then, though, there were cracks to the “prim and proper” cover. He, of course, understood from the beginning that information- gathering could not always be completely legal. He, therefore, acknowledged that fact by vocally disclaiming any knowledge of the covert activity and leaving his charges to whatever work lay ahead of them.

Over time, though, it became obvious that this attitude was mostly overcompensation for his wilder youth, and Giles quickly came out of his shell. Today, he is much more a father figure than anything else, and will gladly help any of his friends on a moment’s notice, particularly Buffy, who he regards as a friend, ally, and surrogate daughter.
Expertise (Dead Languages)
Expertise (Dead Languages) is a Skill that I have more-or-less invented, although since the standard rules for Expertise are pretty open-ended, this is exactly a House Rule. In the Buffyverse, just about every magical tome and an awful lot of history books detailing monsters, demons, and other assorted nasties are written in long-lost languages. Very rarely spoken, hardly ever used outside of research montages, and apparently easy enough to learn that even Cordelia and Xander manage to pick up enough Latin to join in on the Scooby Gang's nightly library parties.

You can also make Expertise [Dead Languages] checks to see if your character knows enough of the language to be able to derive something useful from the text. The DC is 10 for easy concepts, like you might see in a children's book or a warning label; 15 for basic information, like a newspaper account or a diary; and, 20 or higher for difficult concepts, like a specific ritual or technical manual. You can usually accomplish this sort of thing as a routine check, especially when doing so from the comfortable confines of your local high school library with a nice cuppa tea and a jelly doughnut. When under pressure, like having a vampire attempting to break down the door, you'll probably have to roll and the GM may make a check for you in secret, so you won’t know whether or not your character’s skill is entirely up to the task... And you won't know if you politely asked the mystical guardian to open the portal or just said something very rude about his mother.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Hey, you didn't give Guiles Perform(or the 3e equivalent)!
Make with the 'Splainy Bee....