Batgirl III's Character Thread (Simon Baz, Lady Shiva)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Batgirl III

Re: Batgirl III's Character Thread (James Bond)

Post by Batgirl III »

Mechanically, Duke Togo would be pretty similar to James. Less emphasis on general espionage Skills like Investigation, Deception, and Persuasion. Definitely no Q-Branch Gadgetry. Probably drop the Attractive Advantage too. Then load up on Skills and Advantages that enhance his skills as a marksman and give him his trademark M16.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Batgirl III

Re: Batgirl III's Character Thread (James Bond)

Post by Batgirl III »

DOCTOR NO
James Bond Character
Power Level 9 ( 135 PP )

'Dr. No' (1962) wrote:Dr. No: I'm a member of SPECTRE.

James Bond: SPECTRE?

Dr. No: SPECTRE. SPecial Executive for Counter Intelligence, Terrorism, Revenge, Extortion. The four great cornerstones of power headed by the greatest brains in the world.

James Bond: Correction. Criminal brains!

Dr. No: The successful criminal brain is always superior. It has to be!
ABILITIES
Strength 0
Stamina 3
Agility 2
Dexterity 2
Fighting 6
Intellect 5
Awareness 5
Presence 2

SKILLS
Close Combat [Prosthetic Hands] 4 (+12), Deception 6 (+8), Expertise [Business] 14 (+19), Expertise [Criminal] 14 (+19), Expertise [Medicine] 5 (+10), Expertise [Ornithology] 2 (+7), Expertise [Politics] 2 (+7), Insight 5 (+10), Investigation 5 (+10), Persuasion 8 (+10), Ranged Combat [Firearms] 6 (+8), Technology 7 (+12), Vehicles 3 (+5), Treatment 7 (+12)

ADVANTAGES
Benefit [Wealth (4), Status (1)], Close Attack (3), Connected, Contacts, Defensive Roll (3), Eidetic Memory, Equipment (2), Inventor, Languages [English, Chinese, French (2)], Well-Informed

POWERS
Prosthetic Hands Enhanced Ability 3 (+3 Strength; F: Quirk [does not improve lifting rank])[ 5 PP ]

EQUIPMENT ( 10 EP )
M1911A1 (.45 APC) Pistol Damage 4 (E: Ranged) [ 8 EP ]
Undercover Vest Protection 2 (E: Subtle [1]; F: Limited to Ballistic) [ 2 EP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (8) Base 6
Parry: (8) Base 2
Fortitude: (8) Base 5
Toughness: (3/6/8) ——
Will: (8) Base 3

WORKSHEET
Attack: 13 Effect: 3 Total: 16 (Prosthetic Hands)
Attack: 8 Effect: 4 Total: 12 (Pistol)
Dodge: 8 Tough: 3/5/8 Total: 11/13/16
Parry: 8 Tough: 3/5/8 Total: 11/13/16
Fort: 8 Will: 8 Total: 16

ABILITIES [ 50 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 44 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 20 pp ] +
POWERS [ 5 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 16 pp ] =
135 PP TOTAL

Education: M.D., Medical College of Wisconsin
Date of Birth: 1914 (Estimated)
Base of Operations: Crab Key, Jamaica
Height: 6'6" (1.98 m)
Weight: Unknown
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Black
Race: Human
Identity: Secret
Religion: Unknown
Relationships: None
Legal Status: Unknown

Build Notes:
Dr. No was 1962 film, based on the 1958 novel of the same name by Ian Fleming. Dr. No was the sixth novel, but would be the first in the James Bond series. A remarkably low-key affair compared to the spectacles that the franchise would grow to become. Dr. No is about James Bond's investigation of a missing colleague in Jamaica that leads him to the island of the mysterious Dr. No and a scheme to end the U.S. space program.

Background:
Dr. No was born in Peking to a German Methodist missionary and a Chinese girl, but was raised by his aunt. As an adult, he went to Shanghai, where he was involved with the Tongs, a Chinese crime syndicate. Later he was smuggled to the United States and settled in New York City, where he became a clerk and eventually Treasurer for a Tong in America, called the "Hip-Sings".

In the late 1920s, a mob war broke out in New York, forcing the police to crack down on them. No stole a million dollars in gold from the Tongs and disappeared. But the Tongs tracked him down and tortured him to find the location of the gold. When No refused to tell them, the Tongs cut off his hands, shot him through the left side of the chest and left him for dead. No survived, due to a condition called dextrocardia, in which his heart is on the right side of the body.

No spent a long time in hospital, then enrolled in medical school in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He adopted the title of Doctor and changed his name to Julius No, symbolic of his rejection of his father, whose given name was Julius.

With the million dollars from the Tong, he purchases rare stamps in order to preserve his money against inflation; he later purchases the island of Crab Key, off the coast of Jamaica, where he restarts a defunct guano business as a cover for his criminal operations. He employs Jamaican and Cuban laborers on good wages for the guano works, brutally supervised by Jamaican "Chigroes" (a portmanteau of 'Chinese' + 'Negroes', referring to their mixed ancestry). No one who comes to the island is allowed to leave.

No, with aid from the Soviets, sabotages the nearby tests of American missiles by jamming their signals and making them land and explode on a different target than that planned. This forces the Americans to spend time and money redesigning their missiles. He also recovers unexploded missiles from the ocean and turns them over to the Russians. In the films, Dr. No offered his services to both the Americans and the Soviets, but was rejected by both. To get revenge, No joined the SPecial Executive for Counterintelligence, Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion, or SPECTRE. SPECTRE is pretty much the trope maker for the ruthless criminal organization determined to rule the world. HYDRA, Cobra, Kobra, V.E.N.O.M., H.I.V.E., and a thousand others all owe their existence to SPECTRE. (Yes, even L.O.V.E.M.U.F.F.I.N.)

In a interesting twist on what would become the franchise's formula, Bond does not actually learn of No's plot until he and his partner Quarrel — along with Honey Rider — had infiltrated Crab Key and been captured. Bond had gone there after Commander Strangways had disappeared, murdered by No's henchmen. Bond eventually kills No by suffocating him in a mound of guano.
Batgirl III

Re: Batgirl III's Character Thread (James Bond, Dr. No)

Post by Batgirl III »

HONEY RYDER
James Bond Character
Power Level 5 ( 50 PP )

'Dr. No' (1962) wrote: Honey Ryder: I put a black widow spider underneath his mosquito net... A female, they're the worst. It took him a whole week to die. [Bond looks shocked.] Did I do wrong?

James Bond: Well, it wouldn't do to make a habit of it.
ABILITIES
Strength 1
Stamina 2
Agility 1
Dexterity 1
Fighting 5
Intellect 0
Awareness 0
Presence 2

SKILLS
Athletics 4 (+5), Expertise [Shell Diver] 4 (+4), Expertise [Survival] 4 (+4), Intimidation 2 (+4), Perception 2 (+2), Stealth 2 (+3), Vehicles 2 (+3)

ADVANTAGES
Attractive (1), Defensive Roll (2), Equipment (2)

EQUIPMENT ( 10 EP )
Diving Knife Damage 2 (Strength-based; E: Improved Critical [1]) [ 3 EP ]
Small Sailboar [ 7 EP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (6) Base 4
Parry: (6) Base 1
Fortitude: (5) Base 3
Toughness: (2/4) ——
Will: (3) Base 3

WORKSHEET
Attack: 5 Effect: 1 Total: 6 (Unarmed)
Attack: 5 Effect: 3 Total: 8 (Knife)
Dodge: 6 Tough: 2/4 Total: 8/10
Parry: 6 Tough: 2/4 Total: 8/10
Fort: 5 Will: 3 Total: 8

ABILITIES [ 24 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 10 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 5 pp ] +
POWERS [ 0 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 11 pp ] =
50 PP TOTAL

Education: No Formal Education
Date of Birth: 1932 (Estimated)
Base of Operations: Jamaica
Height: 5'5" (1.65 m)
Weight: 125 lbs (56.7 kg)
Measurements: 38-25-35 (36B)
Eyes: Light brown
Hair: Blonde
Identity: Public
Relationships: None
Legal Status: Citizen of Jamaica

Background:
Honey Rider (spelt Ryder in the film) is a Jamaican shell diver, descended from an old-established colonial family. She was orphaned at the age of five when her parents' house was burned down. She then lived with her black nanny in a cellar until she was 15, when her nanny died. Rider reveals that she was also raped as a young girl by the overseer of the property on which she lives. She later avenged her rape by killing the man with a poisonous spider.

Rider is an independent and very beautiful woman, with the minor imperfection of a broken nose, a lasting memory of the time the overseer punched her in the face to subdue her before sexually assaulting her. She became a shell diver near Crab Key in order to make enough money by selling the shells to American collectors, so that she can then have plastic surgery performed on her nose. While on Crab Key, she meets James Bond and confides in him she dreams of becoming a call girl in New York City order to live a good lifestyle. Bond gently dissuades her, citing how sordid prostitution is. Rider and Bond are later captured by Dr. Julius No, who attempts to kill Rider by tying her to some rocks and allowing crabs to eat her alive. However, she is aware that the crabs do not like human flesh and they won't attack her. She escapes, meets up with a badly injured Bond and, after Bond kills Dr. No's three hired assassins, they steal his armored dune buggy and escape to Bond's hidden canoe. Rider then single-handedly sails them back to Jamaica while Bond is unconscious in the bottom of the canoe. She then tends his wounds until he can get to a hospital the next day. It is implied in the book that she and Bond will later travel to New York City where Honey will get her nose fixed; and that on her return, she will work at the Jamaican natural history museum.

In later novels, Bond divulges that Honey Rider moved to Philadelphia, where she married a doctor by the name of Wilder and had two children with him.

Build Notes:
Behold! The most famous bikini in the history of the world. Seriously, it's notable enough to have it's own Wikipedia Page. It's been on display in the Smithsonian. Ursula Andress' emerging from the surf has been described (without too much hyperbole) as the moment the Sixties' Sexual Revolution began... To fans of the literary Bond, Vesper Lynd will always be the Bond Girl, but for the film-going audience and pop culture in general, Honey Ryder is THE Bond Girl.
Shadowmask

Re: Batgirl III's Character Thread (James Bond, Dr. No, Honey Ryder)

Post by Shadowmask »

There was a Dr. No spoof in the Get Smart episode with Dr. Yes, agent of K.A.O.S.

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Shadowmask wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:37 pm There was a Dr. No spoof in the Get Smart episode with Dr. Yes, agent of K.A.O.S.

At first I thought it was the Craw... :mrgreen:
Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask »

HalloweenJack wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:39 pm
Shadowmask wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:37 pm There was a Dr. No spoof in the Get Smart episode with Dr. Yes, agent of K.A.O.S.

At first I thought it was the Craw... :mrgreen:
"ITS CLAW!!!"

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

The Craw?
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

All my James Bond builds are devolving into Get Smart memes...

Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:24 pm All my James Bond builds are devolving into Get Smart memes...
You expected anything less around here? :geek:

One of my favorite professors in college went by Dr. Bob and he claimed to be a certified pop culturist. He actually wrote a number of "scientific" papers on James Bond, and I recall one of them being called Bondian Space. They were actually published and he read them to us several times. I was always afraid he was going to quiz us on them because even though I was a Bond fan, there is one way to take the joy out of anything and that was to turn it into a LECTURE. :(
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Batgirl III

She's had her kicks.

Post by Batgirl III »

ROSA KLEBB
James Bond Character
Power Level 8 ( 100 PP )

'From Russia With Love' (1963) wrote:Training is useful, but there is no substitute for experience.
ABILITIES
Strength 1
Stamina 3
Agility 1
Dexterity 1
Fighting 5
Intellect 2
Awareness 2
Presence 0

SKILLS
Athletics 3 (+4), Close Combat [Unarmed] 3 (+11), Deception 6 (+6), Expertise [Counterintelligence] 6 (+8), Expertise [Military Officer] 3 (+5), Intimidation 5 (+5), Perception 6 (+8), Ranged Combat [Firearms] 6 (+7), Stealth 4 (+5)

ADVANTAGES
Accurate Attack, Benefit [Cipher (1)], Close Attack (3), Contacts, Connected, Equipment (1), Improvised Weapon (1), Languages (2), Lionhearted, Well-Informed

POWERS
Shoe With Concealed Blade (20 PP Base; F: Removable) [ 16 PP Total ]
Concealed Blade Damage 2 (Strength-based; E: Subtle [1]) linked to: Deadly Poison Weaken Stamina 8 (Resistance: Fortitude; E: Incurable [1], Progressive; F: Distracting) [ 20 PP ]

EQUIPMENT ( 5 EP )
Llama Model XVIII (.25 ACP) Hold-Out Pistol Damage 2 (E: Accurate [1], Ranged) [ 5 EP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (5) Base 4
Parry: (5) Base 0
Fortitude: (3) Base 0
Toughness: (3) ——
Will: (8) Base 6

WORKSHEET
Attack: 11 Effect: 1 Total: 12 (Unarmed)
Attack: 8 Effect: 3 & 8 Total: 11 & 16 (Shoe With Concealed Blade)
Attack: 9 Effect: 2 Total: 11 (Hold-Out Pistol)
Dodge: 5 Tough: 3 Total: 8
Parry: 5 Tough: 3 Total: 8
Fort: 3 Will: 8 Total: 11

ABILITIES [ 30 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 21 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 13 pp ] +
POWERS [ 16 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 10 pp ] =
90 PP TOTAL

COMPLICATIONS
Secret: Rosa Klebb is a defector from the Soviet Union, the former SMERSH head who has defected to become a member of SPECTRE. This is a carefully guarded secret known only to senior members of SPECTRE and the highest-levels of the Soviet military.

Education: Unknown
Date of Birth: Unknown
Base of Operations: Mobile
Height: 5'4"
Weight: 126 lbs.
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Red
Identity: Secret
Relationships: Unknown
Legal Status: Citizen of the U.S.S.R. with no criminal record.

Background:
Colonel Rosa Klebb is a fictional character and the main antagonist from the James Bond 1957 novel and 1963 film From Russia with Love.

In the film, Klebb is depicted as the former SMERSH head who has defected to become a member of SPECTRE (Blofeld refers to her as "No. 3"). She uses Kronsteen's plans to obtain the Lektor, a decoding device that is of high value to MI6, and kill Bond. She deceives Tatiana Romanova into helping Bond steal the Lektor, and then sends Red Grant to kill Bond and recover it. After Bond kills Grant and escapes to Venice with the Lektor, Blofeld confronts both Klebb and Kronsteen over who is responsible for the failure of the mission; the latter is executed, whilst Klebb is given one last chance to get Bond and the Lektor. Posing as a hotel maid, she attempts to take the Lektor; when she is caught, she points a .25 Beretta 418 pistol at Bond. Tatiana then distracts her, causing her to drop the Beretta, and Bond and Klebb fight. As in the novel, Klebb attempts to kick Bond with the poison-tipped shoe, but Bond blocks the attack with a chair. Tatiana then shoots Klebb through the head with her own pistol, killing her.
Ken

Re: She's had her kicks.

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:12 am Background:
Colonel Rosa Klebb is a fictional character and the main antagonist from the James Bond 1957 novel and 1963 film From Russia with Love.

In the film, Klebb is depicted as the former SMERSH head who has defected to become a member of SPECTRE (Blofeld refers to her as "No. 3"). She uses Kronsteen's plans to obtain the Lektor, a decoding device that is of high value to MI6, and kill Bond. She deceives Tatiana Romanova into helping Bond steal the Lektor, and then sends Red Grant to kill Bond and recover it. After Bond kills Grant and escapes to Venice with the Lektor, Blofeld confronts both Klebb and Kronsteen over who is responsible for the failure of the mission; the latter is executed, whilst Klebb is given one last chance to get Bond and the Lektor. Posing as a hotel maid, she attempts to take the Lektor; when she is caught, she points a .25 Beretta 418 pistol at Bond. Tatiana then distracts her, causing her to drop the Beretta, and Bond and Klebb fight. As in the novel, Klebb attempts to kick Bond with the poison-tipped shoe, but Bond blocks the attack with a chair. Tatiana then shoots Klebb through the head with her own pistol, killing her.
In the book, SPECTRE didn't exist yet, so the operation was actually a SMERSH plot. Without ever using "the L word", Klebb was a lesbian, but a rather creepy negative stereotype of one. Lotte Lenya's portrayal in the film included some of that, but it was downplayed.

But, in the book, she actually killed Bond. From Russia with Love was the fifth of Flemming's Bond books, and it ended with Bond collapsing because Klebb actually succeeded is scratching Bond with the poison-tipped shoe (though Klebb dies first from Romanova's gunshot.)

Flemming could have ended the series there. And it really reads like it was meant to be Bond's end.

However, Flemming decided to keep going, so in the sixth book, Doctor No, Bond is in Jamaica, undergoing, essentially, physical therapy, getting his strength back, recovering from the poison. But that's why he's in position to investigate Strangways' disappearance.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Batgirl III

Re: Batgirl III's Character Thread (Rosa Klebb)

Post by Batgirl III »

Fleming’s Bond’s views on homosexuals are not very “woke,” even by the standards of the 1950s. I’ll be ranting about that when I get around to Pussy Galore. But, then again, Fleming’s Bond is meant to be quite the amoral asshole.

From Russia With Love is my favorite Bond film, but ironically it’s my least favorite of Fleming’s novels.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:01 pm From Russia With Love is my favorite Bond film,
As it should be, as it is the best of them.*
Batgirl III wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:01 pm but ironically it’s my least favorite of Fleming’s novels.
That is odd, given how faithful the film is to the book. Also, The Spy Who Loved Me. That one pretty much killed the momentum when I was trying to read all of Flemming's Bond books.

* - Yes, I am opinionated about Bond films.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

The Bond novels/character present a few...issues, I suppose, to modern readers. Aside from the debauchery and substance abuse, chauvinism, and casual racism, J.B. engages in at least one instance of date rape against Pussy Galore (arguably so in the movie version, where Pussy Galore's lesbianism isn't nearly as explicit and where the character responds after token resistance). And of course, the books/films reflect the prevailing racial stereotypes, disdain for gay people, and women-as-sex-objects-or-subordinates attitudes of the era.

Now, I'm a big fan of a LOT of earlier pop culture stuff, and understandably, many of these works prior to the civil rights struggles of modern decades share elements which are not just "politically incorrect" but clearly offensive and demeaning to minorities, women, and gay people. But these can at least be understood in context of the times, so long as they don't become too explicit or aren't important plot points. So yeah, there's some casually racist attitudes in the Conan books, and sexist stuff in a lot of fantasy literature, esp. the swords and sorcery stuff. But the Horseclans series, which I enjoyed as a teen,early twenty-something? Yeah...ALL the gay characters in Robert Adams books are depraved, cowardly, sneaky, criminal, and most are outright pedophiles. The one time a homosexual (briefly) does a Heel-Face turn, it involves becoming more "masculine", admitting his past sins, and marrying a Clans-woman! Then in the next book, he reverts to his prior sexuality and promptly drowns in an accident. Not good.

Likewise, I can accept how few actual Native American actors existed then (or now, for that matter), so having white people in "red-face" portray them in most Westerns isn't terribly offensive in and of itself (though the underlying conditions WERE terrible, of course); but something as egregious as Mickey Rooney in "yellow-face" with goggle-glasses and buckteeth doing pidgin English in Breakfast at Tiffany's...ugh. No, no excuse, even at that time, and it renders the film virtually unwatchable for me.

(Note: I'm less incensed about the recent "controversy" with ScarJo being cast in a transgender role; of course I understand trans-people face discrimination an outright hostility in many aspects of life, and trans-actors get almost NO roles in Hollywood. But the pool of trans-actors with enough visibility and star power to get cast in a big budget production is insignificant, currently. I do realize this can be a vicious cycle of sorts, as actors don't GET power in Hollywood until they start getting cast, but its not an easy fix.)

All my best.