Batgirl III's Character Thread (Simon Baz, Lady Shiva)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ken

Re: Batgirl III's Character Thread (Goldfinger, Oddjob)

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:20 am
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:00 am Cool Oddjob! He was victim to a lot of "Gentleman's Agreements" in GoldenEye's N64 game owing to his tinier target. Oddly, his portrayer, pro wrestler Harold Sakata, was billed at 5'10".
Near as I can figure, the developers for the N64 GoldenEye must have gotten Oddjob confused with (or conflated with) Knick Knack from The Man with the Golden Gun. Knick Knack was played by Hervé Villechaize, best known as Tattoo, the "Ze plane! Ze plane!" guy from Fantasy Island.

Two Asian guys dressed in butler's outfits and wearing fancy hats. Yeah,m sure, one of them is 3'11" and the other is 5'10", but, really... Who can tell the difference?
There's a 'they all look alike' wisecrack that's just waiting to be made.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Shock

Post by Shock »

I think you're really underselling Odd Job (and to a lesser extent Red Grant) at PL6. Odd Job was pretty clearly more than a match for Bond in unarmed combat. Against both, Bond had to outsmart them to win.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Bear in mind that, despite being PL 8, my build for James Bond only has +10 to hit / + 4 Damage with his unarmed attacks and a significant chunk of his Toughness comes from having five ranks in Defensive Roll.

He literally can’t hurt Oddjob with his barehands; Grant and Oddjob also have several Advantages that encourage them to grapple with opponents, which will really hamper Bond... Since his Active Defenses (and Defensive Roll is an Active Defense) are halved when grabbed.

Also, despite being minions neither of them should actually be treated as Minions. Bond can judo chop his way through an entire volcano lair of faceless mooks, but a proper Villain will result in a fight scene that takes a while.

Grant and Oddjob are cool guys, but they don’t have a whole lot of depth to them. They’re mostly just there to be physical threats... Combat proxy for for brainy villain they work for. In a superhero world, you can have a billionaire industrialist who is also a master jeweler, nuclear scientist, inventor, who is also a master of the martial arts. In the Bond ‘verse, this is too much so you have to farm out the fighting job. So Spider-Man has Wilson Fisk, but Bond has Goldfinger and Oddjob.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Batgirl III

Pussy Galore

Post by Batgirl III »

PUSSY GALORE
James Bond Character
Power Level 6 ( 100 PP )

'Goldfinger' (1964) wrote:James Bond: Who are you?

Pussy Galore: My name is Pussy Galore.

James Bond: I must be dreaming.
ABILITIES
Strength 1
Stamina 2
Agility 4
Dexterity 4
Fighting 6
Intellect 2
Awareness 3
Presence 3

SKILLS
Acrobatics 2 (+6), Athletics 5 (+6), Close Combat [Unarmed] 3 (+9), Expertise [Criminal] 3 (+5), Insight 3 (+6), Perception 5 (+8), Ranged Combat [Firearms] 4 (+8), Technology 3 (+5), Vehicles 12 (+16)

ADVANTAGES
Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (2), Equipment (6), Fast Grab, Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Minions (5), Skill Mastery [Vehicles]

EQUIPMENT ( 30 EP )
Smith & Wesson Model 22 (.45 ACP) Heavy Revolver Damage 4 (E: Ranged) [ 8 EP ]
Pussy Galore's Plane wrote: Image
Piper Cherokee PA-28
Equipment Rank 5 ( 22 EP )

VEHICLE TRAITS
Size: Huge [ 2 EP ]
Strength: 8 [ 4 EP ]
Speed: 0 [ 0 EP ]
Defense: 5 [ 6 EP ]
Toughness: 11 [ 4 EP ]

VEHICLE POWERS
Flight 6 (120 MPH; F: Winged) [ 6 EP ]
DEFENSE
Dodge (6) Base 2
Parry: (6) Base 0
Fortitude: (4) Base 2
Toughness: (2/4) ——
Will: (8) Base 5

WORKSHEET
Attack: 9 Effect: 1 Total: 10 (Unarmed)
Attack: 8 Effect: 4 Total: 12 (Smith & Wesson .45)
Dodge: 6 Tough: 2/4 Total: 8/10
Parry: 6 Tough: 2/4 Total: 8/10
Fort: 4 Will: 8 Total: 12

ABILITIES [ 50 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 20 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 18 pp ] +
POWERS [ 0 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 9 pp ] =
97 PP TOTAL

COMPLICATIONS
Prejudice (Openly Lesbian): Pussy Galore is an open lesbian in the Mid-1950's or Mid-1960's, a time when such a lifestyle was seen as deviant and often criminalized.

Education: Unknown
Date of Birth: Unknown
Base of Operations: Harlem
Height: ‎5’7″ (1.70 m)
Weight: 125 lbs. (57 kg)
Measurments: 36-23-36 (32D)
Eyes: Violet (novel) Blue (film)
Hair: Black (novel) Blonde (film)
Race: Human
Identity: Secret
Religion: Unknown
Relationships: Unknown
Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with criminal record.

Background:
In Fleming's 1959 novel Goldfinger, Pussy Galore is the only woman in the United States known to be running an organised crime gang. Initially trapeze artists, her group of performing catwomen, "Pussy Galore and her Abrocats," is unsuccessful, and so the women train as cat burglars instead.

Her group evolves into an all-lesbian organisation, based in Harlem, known as the Cement Mixers. In the novel, she has black hair, pale skin, and (according to Bond) the only violet eyes that Bond has ever seen. She is in her thirties, her voice low and attractive. Pussy tells Bond that she became a lesbian after she was sexually abused by her uncle at the age of twelve.

Auric Goldfinger enlists the help of Pussy and her Cement Mixers to carry out "Operation Grand Slam", a scheme to kill all the soldiers guarding Fort Knox by poisoning their water supply with sarin nerve agent, and then to use a stolen nuclear weapon to blow open the U.S. Bullion Depository there and steal one billion dollars in gold bullion from it. Goldfinger chooses the Cement Mixers because he needs a group of women to impersonate the nurses in the fake emergency medical teams he plans to send into the poison-stricken Fort Knox. Things are a bit different in the film, where she is instead the leader of "Pussy Galore's Flying Circus," a group of women aviators connected with Goldfinger's much more sensible "Operation Grand Slam," where the women will gas the town surrounding Fort Knox and the base itself, allowing Goldfinger to detonate a nuclear weapon inside the vault, rendering the United States' gold reserves unusable (and thus worthless) for decades.

After Bond and Felix Leiter foil "Grand Slam", Galore runs into Bond while impersonating a stewardess on Goldfinger's hijacked escape flight to the Soviet Union. Bond, having previously been drugged by a fake vaccination, has been kidnapped and transported onto the plane to join Goldfinger, who is determined to kill him at last. However, Bond punctures one of the airplane's windows with a knife (causing Goldfinger's henchman Oddjob to be blown out and plunge to his death, although in the film it is Goldfinger who dies this way as Oddjob was already killed inside Fort Knox). Bond then forces the crew of the airplane to reverse course. When the gold-heavy craft runs out of fuel, and the crew must ditch it in the ocean, Bond and Pussy are the only ones who manage to escape onto a life raft.
Jabroniville

Re: Batgirl III's Character Thread (Pussy Galore)

Post by Jabroniville »

Pussy Galore remains the most insane, totally bizarre character name in history. WHO ON EARTH WOULD EVER BE NAMED THAT?

I mean, it's not even as silly as the Austin Powers parody, Alotta Fagina.

That novel origin story is pretty classic "this was written in a DIFFERENT TIME, okay??".
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

According to Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang, book on the making of Bond films (up through the Brosnan!Bond era), United Artists did indeed try to pressure Broccoli and Salzman into changing the name to Kitty Galore, but they managed to finagle their way into getting it in the film.

As double-entendres go, its actually a pretty mild one, the novel had been in print for years and sold well, the Bond films were big enough hits that when Goldfinger went into production plenty of newspaers and magazines reported the casting of Honor Blackman (who was a big star back in the UK) as Pussy Galore, using the character's name... and no one rioted.

They did seriously tone down her lesbianism. In the novel it is very much front and center in her characterization and her backstory is bluntly and explicitly stated. Paraphrasing from memory she says something along the lines of "You know the old joke about a 'Kentucky Virgin' being a girl who can outrun her uncles? Well, I was twelve and I couldn't run that fast." Yowza. That's some Girl With The Dragon Tattoo level darkness there. The film relies entirely on "gay coding," turning the novel's text into subtext. If you know how to read it, Blackman's performance is still clearly that of a lesbian... But it's subtle enough to slip past the censorship boards of the 1960s.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

As much hate as the Older Bond films get nowadays(and believe me,there's places out in the Internets that HATE Bond),i still think Connery!Bond came the closest Hollywood's ever got to a Decent Spy Book/Movie....
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

If you like what TV Tropes calls "Stale Beer" spy fiction (in contrast to flashier "Martini Flavored" spy fiction) then there's been several great films over the years: The November Man (2014), Hanna (2011), The Good Shepherd (2006), Ronin (1998), The Hunt for Red October (1990), or Three Days of the Condor (1975).

Of course it should go without saying that any film based on a John le Carré novel is going to be an tasty mug of "Stale Beer," some films based on his books are Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011), The Deadly Affair (1966), The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (1965). There's also the six-part BBC miniseries from 2016 based on The Night Manager.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Or you could just watch Sneakers (1992) which manages to be neither Martini Flavored nor Stale Beer while still being very much a story about spies and spying.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Davies wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:13 am Or you could just watch Sneakers (1992) which manages to be neither Martini Flavored nor Stale Beer while still being very much a story about spies and spying.
With a BLIND DUDE driving the group getaway van! Sneakers is one of my favorite Spy Movies,the other being You Only Live Twice.
scc

Post by scc »

So cool to see Bond character builds. Pussy Galore would be a welcome addition to any campaign. 8-)
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Almost every Bond film plot (especially from the Connery/Lazenby/Moore eras) will work fairly well as a street-level superhero story, if you shave off the serial numbers and maybe give the faceless goons slightly better weaponry.

Most Bond master-villains are pushovers in a fight, even against Bond, but it wouldn’t take much to turn them into something a little more super-villainy.

Give Dr. No a full-blown cyborg body instead of just prosthetic hands, replace SPECTRE with HYRDA, give his goons laser rifles, and replace the bulldozer with attached flame-thrower with a proper mini-mecha... and you’ve got yourself a Captain America story.

Make Pussy Galore and her Flying Circus/Cement Mixers into a team of ninja-assassin-acrobat-pilots, have Auric Goldfinger plotting to steal vibrainium instead of gold, and make Oddjob a mutant gorilla. Congrats, you’ve got a Black Panther movie.

So on and so forth.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:45 am If you like what TV Tropes calls "Stale Beer" spy fiction (in contrast to flashier "Martini Flavored" spy fiction) then there's been several great films over the years: The November Man (2014), Hanna (2011), The Good Shepherd (2006), Ronin (1998), The Hunt for Red October (1990), or Three Days of the Condor (1975).

Of course it should go without saying that any film based on a John le Carré novel is going to be an tasty mug of "Stale Beer," some films based on his books are Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011), The Deadly Affair (1966), The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (1965). There's also the six-part BBC miniseries from 2016 based on The Night Manager.
I always liked Dean Martin’s Matt Helm film series as a kid. But they are the definition of martini flavored. 8-)
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Dean Martin himself is the epitome of “martini flavored,” although it should be noted that he was a strick teetotaler whilst performing. His ever present tumbler of scotch was normally apple juice, he certainly partied as hard as anybody else in the Rat Pack, but he only ever worked clean.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

These past few pages merely make me love your contributions even more, BG.
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.