Epic's Mechanic Shop (Weapon Shop; Monster Hunter World)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
EpicEclipse

Re: Epic's Mechanic Shop

Post by EpicEclipse »

What have I gotten myself into? :?

So... I have made 6 of the 14 weapons so far. Sword and shield, expectedly, is the most tame.

Great Sword, Longsword, Hammer, Dual Blades and Hunting Horn are off the freaking rail.

Long story short, I am building them with the base stats of a Hunter at 4 Strength and their Defenses and Toughness balanced at 10 with the assumption of a PL10 game. Each weapon is only removeable as disarming isn't really a thing in the game, but they are still devices.

So far the most expensive weapon is the Hammer at 35pp. And it is a devastating weapon.

And for those wondering how I got around things like the buffs for the hunting horn, you won't be disappointed (I diiiiiid use a 2e extra though, so it may not fly with all Gms and considering how potent these weapons are, unless it was in a set Monster Hunter game, I would not blame them.)

All that being said, the weapons so far are very potent for the costs and any one of them would make an impact in combat and I think I have done a good job so far in representing how each weapon is used in game.

I so try and post up at least one or two of the weapons after work. (They are hand written in a notebook..)
EpicEclipse

Weapon Shop: Monster Hunter World Sword and Shield

Post by EpicEclipse »

Considered one of the easiest weapons for a new Hunter to pick up, the sword and shield has a bit of everything. Swift attacks, a basic shield, slashing and bludgeoning attacks and the unique capability to use items while the weapon is drawn. It is one of the weaker weapons, but versatile enough to remain a staple in many a Hunter's arsenal.

* Note; each of these Monster Hunter weapons is built with the assumption of the Hunter wielding them is PL10, possessing 4 Strength and a balance 10/10 Tough and Active Defenses.
Sword and Shield - Paired Device
Total Cost: 22pp (27pp With Removeable(-5pp))

Basic Attack: Strength-based Damage 4 (Total damage 8)
Cost: 4pp

Swift Strikes: Enhanced Attack 8 (Multiattack added to Basic Attack)
Cost: 8pp

Shield Bashing: Affliction 8 (Resisted and overcome by Fort; Dazed, Stunned), Multiattack, Limited Degree - Linked to Basic Attack

Leaping Slice: Enhanced Attack 18 (Move Action 8, Penetrating 8), Limited (Must be Aiming)
Cost: 1pp (Alternate Effect from Shield Bashing)

Block: Protection 5, Feature(Second Chance 3 (Being Tripped, Knocked Down or Knocked Back), Concentration, Distracting
Cost: 5pp

Buckler: Feature 1 (Shield does not prevent use of hand)
Cost: 1pp
This weapon is very straight forward, but methodical and effective. Swift Strikes and Shield Bashing can be used together to stun multiple enemies or hammer down hard on a single foe to set them up for the devastating Leaping Slice.

Leaping Slice is a move action with a provision that it can only be used while Aiming, so in effect it uses a full turn, both move AND standard action to perform. And it has multiattack to boot from Swift Strikes. A Power Attack bolstered Leaping Slice is a crushing blow that can finish a fight with style.

The shield can also be used to Block, giving a boost in defensive potential at the cost of evasiveness. It also help keep the Hunter on their feet with Second Chance.
Last edited by EpicEclipse on Mon May 07, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Re: Epic's Mechanic Shop (Weapon Shop; Monster Hunter World)

Post by MacynSnow »

Just take your time,my man,you'll get it done in good time.Rome wasn't built in a day.....:)
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

MacynSnow wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 3:04 am Just take your time,my man,you'll get it done in good time.Rome wasn't built in a day.....:)
Heh. I'm not so worried about how long it takes. I am just making devices rather than full builds after all. Some of the mechanics though are tricky to work with and some of this stuff is crazy potent. Seriously, just look at the sword and shield. It will tear an enemy apart in short order.

And this thing is the most tame weapon. The lance might be a close second, but the shield on it is going to be ridiculous.

In any case, I am mainly plugging away at these in quiet moments at work. Something to occupy my mind so I don't die of boredom.

But stay tuned for the next weapons. They only get more outrageous from here.
EpicEclipse

Weapon Shop: Monster Hunter World Dual Blades

Post by EpicEclipse »

They're swift, deadly and they come in pairs. The Dual Blades are the weapon of choice for Hunters that value speed over raw power and defend by getting out of the way. Able to power up in the vicious Demon Mode and further to Archdemon mode, a Hunter equipped with this weapon is a whirlwind of devastation.

* Note; each of these Monster Hunter weapons is built with the assumption of the Hunter wielding them is PL10, possessing 4 Strength and a balance 10/10 Tough and Active Defenses.
Dual Blades - Paired Device
Total Cost: 25pp (31pp With Removeable(-6pp))

Basic Attack: Strength-based Damage 2 (Total damage 6), Multiattack 6, Quirk (Two-handed)
Cost: 7pp

Demon Mode: Weaken Will 6, Multiattack, Subtle, Insidious, Limited (Will only weakened versus own affliction power) - Linked to Basic Attack

Archdemon Mode: Enhanced Power 6, Reaction (Succesful Weaken Will), Fades, Total Fade
* Affliction 6 (Resisted and Overcome by Will; Vulnerable, Defenseless, Transformed), Multiattack, Subtle, Insidious, Limited (Afflictions only factor against own attacks) - Linked to Basic Attack
** Transformed = Remain Defenseless with Hindered Toughness
Cost: 14pp

Evasive Dash: Speed 1, Triggered (Imminemt Attack)
Cost: 2pp
These things are all about dealing damage and evading attacks rather than trying to resist them, and the more you attack, the more potent your attacks get.

Archdemon Mode is set up to work similarly to Absorb Energy, except instead of being attacked by however many ranks of energy attack, this one uses how many points of Will you successfully weaken with Demon Mode. Obviously more effective against a single foe, but using Multiattack to hit multiple foes is also viable.

Once Archdemon Mode comes online, you have it for 6 rounds, though you can top this off by continuing to use Demon Mode, potentially reducing enemy defense and Toughness to simulate stronger attacks.

Not as methodical as the sword and shield, but far more aggressive. And if the Hunter doesn't have to move to get to an opponent, they can use their move action to set up a Triggered move action to potentially evade an attack they are aware of, not to mention Speed 1 giving the Dual Blades nearly unrivaled mobility on the ground.
Last edited by EpicEclipse on Thu May 03, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gamebook

Post by Gamebook »

I've done some building in this area (as yet unposted), creating more elaborate builds for medieval weapons using the M&M3E rules. I get a lot of inspiration for this from one of the better YouTube channels on archaic weapons, scholagladiatoria. I'm planning to use them when I get around to posting up my science-fantasy setting. I'll be watching this thread for ideas to shamelessly steal.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Heh. Doesn't bother me really.

I mean, obviously, these don't well reflect real historical weapons seeing as they are based on a video game, but they're still fun ;)
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

EpicEclipse wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 3:12 pm Heh. Doesn't bother me really.

I mean, obviously, these don't well reflect real historical weapons seeing as they are based on a video game, but they're still fun ;)
Also considering that nothing in Monster Hunter is anything less than super-bombastic, I believe these are quite on point.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
EpicEclipse

Weapon Shop: Monster Hunter World Great Sword

Post by EpicEclipse »

The Great Sword is defined by most Hunters in two short words. Raw power. Eight letters doesn't seem sufficient to sum up the devastating force that can be brought to bare by a skilled wielder, but the Great Sword is the uncontested king of dishing out damage.

Great Sword - Two handed Device
Total Cost: 30pp (38pp With Removeable(-8pp))

Basic Attack: Strength-based Damage 11 (Total damage 15), Penetrating 6, Quirk (Two-handed)
Cost: 16pp

Charged Attack: Enhanced Advantage 2 (Improved Aim, Power Attack), Quirk (Power Attack may only be used while Aiming.
Enhanced Attack 15 (Move Action added to Basic Attack), Limited (While aiming)
Cost: 9pp

Shoulder Tackle: Affliction 15 (Resisted and Overcome by Fort; Dazed, Stunned, Paralyzed), Feature (Withstand Damage), Triggered (Imminent attack while aiming), Instant Recovery, Quirk (Withstand Damage is automatically set at maximum when Triggered)

Block: Protection 5, Feature (Second Chance 3 (Being Tripped, Knocked Down or Knocked Back)), Concentration, Distracting
Cost: 5pp
A crowd favorite for the absolute raw power output. This weapon doesn't have the aggressive build up of the Dual Blades, but deals intense damage with each successful hit.

The general strategy with this weapon is to set a Triggered tackle to potentially negate an attack against you while you Aim. Power Attack can be maxed to bring your accuracy to 0, but Improved Aim in melee gives +10 to the attack so long as your next action is to attack.

It's a slow process, but if you pull it off, it is a PL15 equivalent attack. Just remember once you Aim, you can not move or set your tackle trigger. So you want to set the tackle up in advance to be ready (even in game, timing that tackle is all about observation and being prepared to use it), get into position, and then Aim and attack. You can move and aim in the same round and attack if the enemy hasn't moved out of range, or aim and attack in the same round if you're already beside the opponent.

Also, if you use the triggered tackle, it eats your Aim, preventing your charged attack from going off. So this weapon is all about timing and positioning.
EpicEclipse

Re: Weapon Shop: Monster Hunter World Longsword

Post by EpicEclipse »

Elegant and stylish, the Longsword is the more refined cousin of the Great Sword. While lacking the raw power of its cousin, the Longsword possesses some truly unique techniques that strike with speed and precision while evading enemy attacks and delivering brutal counterstrikes.

Longsword - Two handed Device
Total Cost: 25pp (31pp With Removeable(-6pp))

Basic Attack: Strength-based Damage 8 (Total damage 12), Improved Critical 2, Penetrating 6, Quirk (Two-handed)
Cost: 15pp

Spirit Roundslash: Weaken Toughness 12 (save vs Will), Subtle 2, Improved Critical 2, Insidious, Limited (Only applied against own attacks) - Linked to Basic Attack
Cost: 11pp

Foresight Slash: Teleport 1, Turnabout, Triggered (Imminent Attack), Feature (Enhanced Attack 1 (Triggered (Own teleport triggered) added to Basic Attack)), Quirk (May only be used Triggered)

Helmsplitter: Enhanced Attack 14 (Multiattack 12 and Improved Critical 2 added to Basic Attack), Subtle
Cost: 1pp (Alternate Effect from Spirit Roundslash and Foresight Slash)
This weapon is a lot of fun if you use it right. The basic attack with Spirit Roundslash alone makes the difference in power between it and the Great Sword and throwing in the occasional round (using both move and standard actions) of preparation to use Foresight Slash as a free attack dodge and counter attack, the Longsword has the ability to maintain offense even while on the defensive, while able to deal the occasional devastating blow with Helm Splitter, best used when the enemy is rendered vulnerable or defenseless.

On a surface level it is a very simple weapon, but it takes some skill, timing and good judgement to fully bring out it's potential.

Worth noting, as far as I am concerned, an effect that has had its "Triggered" extra set up, remains set when the array slot is changed. If your GM is against this, make Helm Splitter it's own power which costs 15pp.

The difference in cost comes to; 45 (removeable(-9), 36pp. A net difference of 11pp.
Last edited by EpicEclipse on Tue May 08, 2018 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Any requests for which I post up next? I have been doing them in more or less order to the list I set up but I don't HAVE to post them that way.

So far I only have 4 weapons to go, the Insect Glaive and the three ranged weapons. And so far, I'm not really disappointed in any of them. The charge blade and hunting horn gave me some trouble. I expect the Insect Glaive may as well, but the ranged weapons are more about their ammo with fewer special features to be concerned about.
EpicEclipse

Re: Weapon Shop: Monster Hunter World Hammer

Post by EpicEclipse »

Otherwise known as "The Knockout King" the Hammer lives up to its nickname. While not quite as strong as the Great Sword, the Hammer makes up the difference in brutal stunning strikes that can knock a target right out, making them an easy target for follow-up attacks.

Hammer - Two handed Device
Total Cost: 28pp (35pp With Removeable(-7pp))

Basic Attack: Strength-based Damage 10 (Total damage 14), Quirk (Two-handed)
Cost: 9pp

Stunning Strikes: Affliction 14 (Resisted and Overcome by Fort; Dazed, Stunned, Unconscious) - Linked to Basic Attack

Power Charge: Enhanced Power 14, Activation (Move)
-Affliction 14 (Resisted and Overcome by Fort; Hindered, Disabled), Conditions Limited to own attacks, Limited Degree - Linked to Stunning Strikes, using the same Fort resistance check

Charge Attack: Enhanced Advantage 2 (Improved Aim, Power Attack), Quirk (Power Attack may only be used while Aiming.)
- Enhanced Attack 14 (Multiattack added to Stunning Strikes), Limited (Only while using Power Attack)
Stop! Hammer time!

While the afflictions are not cumulative, Power Charge makes every single hit devastating even before accounting for Charge Attacks. The Hammer is very straight forward. Activate Power Charge, which will remain active unless the character is stunned or lowers ("sheathes") the weapon, then go to town.

Each hit has a Fort save followed by a Toughness save. The fort save is against two afflictions simultaneously, one which may reduce further resistance checks against your own attacks, including the following toughness save.. and between the affliction and damage effects, that is two opportunities in one attack to knock an enemy out.

Charge Attack is similar to Great Sword, but has a slightly different effect. Where Great Sword is purely a damage output with some economy of action with the attack being made as a move action while aiming, Hammer requires a standard action still, but adds Multiattack to Stunning Strikes, which against a foe that has been rendered vulnerable or defenseless due to a feint, is absolutely devastating. +10 to hit, Power Attack, and possible +2 or 5 to the Stunning affliction on top of that, looking at a DC34 to resist stunning (14(Rk)+5(PA)+5(MA)+10) while also potentially suffering -2 or -5 to the fort save to resist it. In other words, good night Gracie.

The Hammer's focus is in knockout strikes over enhancing damage, and to that end it is a very dangerous weapon.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

You know what the sad thing about these weapons is, no sane GM would allow them without enemies capable of resisting at least some of this nonsense, which ultimately defeats the purpose of allowing their use.

I mean, the Weaken Toughness linked to Damage is generally where the boundary sits of utilizing the mechanics of the game without being too gamey. These weapons look at that boundary, chortle, and carry right on like the boundary doesn't exist.

That being said, this thread doesn't really concern itself too much with what a GM will allow so much as what the game can achieve.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

EpicEclipse wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:28 pm Any requests for which I post up next? I have been doing them in more or less order to the list I set up but I don't HAVE to post them that way.

So far I only have 4 weapons to go, the Insect Glaive and the three ranged weapons. And so far, I'm not really disappointed in any of them. The charge blade and hunting horn gave me some trouble. I expect the Insect Glaive may as well, but the ranged weapons are more about their ammo with fewer special features to be concerned about.
I'd have to say either the Lance or Gunlance (couple of my favorite tanky weapons) or the Hunting Horn because I'm really curious how you built it.

Oh and very nice job on the other weapons!

EpicEclipse wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:53 am You know what the sad thing about these weapons is, no sane GM would allow them without enemies capable of resisting at least some of this nonsense, which ultimately defeats the purpose of allowing their use.

I mean, the Weaken Toughness linked to Damage is generally where the boundary sits of utilizing the mechanics of the game without being too gamey. These weapons look at that boundary, chortle, and carry right on like the boundary doesn't exist.

That being said, this thread doesn't really concern itself too much with what a GM will allow so much as what the game can achieve.
True, but these are weapons for fighting Dinosaurs, Wyverns, and Dragons! You can't half ass it when that's the type of big game you're hunting ;).
Formerly luketheduke86
EpicEclipse

Re: Weapon Shop: Monster Hunter World Hunting Horn

Post by EpicEclipse »

While most weapons focus on dishing out damage and felling their foes, some Hunters take up the mighty support weapon known as the Hunting Horn. The Hunting Horn is a musical instrument and bludgeoning weapon all rolled into one and functions similarly to the Hammer, but with the added ability to play party-buffing melodies.

Hunting Horn - Two handed Device
Total Cost: 31pp (39pp With Removeable(-8pp))

Basic Attack: Strength-based Damage 8 (Total damage 12), Quirk (Two-handed)
Cost: 7pp

Stunning Strikes: Affliction 14 (Resisted and Overcome by Fort; Dazed, Stunned, Unconscious) - Linked to Basic Attack

Melodious Strikes: Enhanced Power 10 (Array), Reaction(Successful Attack), Fades, Distracting, Total Fade, Unreliable (DC10)
-Attack Melody: Affliction 10 (Resisted and Overcome by Will; Hindered, Disabled), Cumulative, Area (Auditory sense dependent), Selective, Limited Degree, Sustained, Independent, Instant Recovery, Conditions limited to toughness checks, Insidious
-Defensive Melody: Nullify 10, Area (Auditory sense dependent), Selective, Close Range, Insidious, Independent, Limited (Half Nullify), Sustained, Unreliable(DC10), Broad (Damage effects)
-Elemental Melody: Immunity 10 (Elemental Damage), Affects Others, Area (Auditory sense dependent), Selective, Independent, Limited (Half Effect), Subtle, Unreliable(5 uses), Total Fade
-Healing Melody: Healing 6, Area (Auditory sense dependent), Selective, Restorative, Persistent
Cost: 16pp

Self Improvement: Enhanced Power 1 (Speed 1) and Enhanced Attack 2 (Improved Critical added to Basic Attack and Stunning Strikes), Activation (Move)
Cost: 2pp
This one was hard. I mentioned before I was going to be using a 2nd edition extra and this power is the primary cause for it. Without Independent, this weapon would only be capable of having a single song up at a time.

For those that don't know, Independent is a +0 extra that you fire and forget. It can only be placed on a Sustained power and effectively gained Continuous and Fades, but is no longer controlled by you, so can't be ceased without the regular means of countering a power. The key part here is the effect is effectively lingering now, so the array can be changed without impacting the ongoing effect.

Self Improvement is a basic song and generally done right away to employ it's benefits and it only affects the Hunter unlike every other song, so it gets to be it's own power. Besides, it's effect is comparatively minor, so not that big a deal.

Additionally, this requires a little hand wave of when Unreliable happens. Normally for most, they spend the action and then roll. For the Horn, you roll to see if a song is available before you act.

So, how does it all work? First you attack until you have 10 levels of success. You may attack "nothing" at a base DC10 to build up successes. Once you have 10, you check unreliable's dc10. If that succeeds, you have the "right notes" for a song and can play a song. If it fails, you can attack instead and try unreliable next round to see if the notes lined up better.

The songs are incredibly powerful and will stay in effect for 10 rounds EACH (except healing, which is an instant effect), so of course they require some work to access, but in the meantime, you also have stunning strikes similar to, if not as powerful as, the Hammer. If you use Accurate Attack on with the intent of attacking nothing to build up successes, you're looking at a +13 which is two successes on a 2 with a maximum of 5 successes with a 17 on the die. Two of those and you are set for your song.

Or you can wail on an enemy with a potent stunning strike and just pop off songs as they become available. Takes longer to build up a song, but you're not "wasting" actions.

A few more notes on the defensive melody, some might argue that Broad (Damage effects) might be too much, but consider it is ONLY Damage, as oppose to Broad (Magic) that covers ALL effects with a magic descriptor.