Epic's Mechanic Shop (Weapon Shop; Monster Hunter World)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
EpicEclipse

Re: Epic's Mechanic Shop (Weapon Shop; Monster Hunter World)

Post by EpicEclipse »

I was sick last week and am training a replacement for myself here at work, so I haven't been able to post even the weapons I have completed. Yet.

I should be able to post up the lance and Gunlance this weekend. As for the other weapons, I have some finishing touches to put on the insect Glaive and then it's just the ranged weapons.

The ranged weapons are going to be... interesting. They have their own characteristics, but are largely defined by their ammo, except for the bow, which has coatings, but they don't define it as much as its moveset does.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Nice hunting horn, you've covered its effects really well!
Formerly luketheduke86
EpicEclipse

Re: Weapon Shop: Monster Hunter World Lance

Post by EpicEclipse »

They say the best defense is a great offense. Those who wield the mighty lance beg to differ that in fact the best offense, is an impregnable defense. The lance is a fairly straightforward weapon with precise strikes and the best shield around and hunters that use the lance are masters of defense with a deceptive amount of mobility and power behind their nigh invincible shield.

* Note; each of these Monster Hunter weapons is built with the assumption of the Hunter wielding them is PL10, possessing 4 Strength and a balance 10/10 Tough and Active Defenses.
Lance - Paired Device
Total Cost: 20pp (25pp With Removeable(-5pp))

Basic Attack: Strength-based Damage 4 (Total damage 8), Reach
Cost: 5pp

Great Shield: Protection 5, Feature(Second Chance 3 (Being Tripped, Knocked Down or Knocked Back), Feature(Withstand Damage), Concentration, Distracting
Cost: 6pp

Guarded Thrust: Enhanced Attack 8 (Move Action added to Basic Attack), Limited(While using Great Shield)
Cost: 4pp

Shield Bash: Affliction 8 (Resisted and overcome by Fort; Dazed, Stunned), Limited Degree - Linked to Basic Attack
Cost: 1pp (Alternate Effect from Great Shield + Guarded Thrust)

Perfect Guard: Create 15, Stationary, Impervious, Subtle 2, Close Range, Concentration, Distracting, Limited(Personal bubble barrier)
Cost: 1pp (Alternate Effect from Great Shield + Guarded Thrust)

Forward Charge: Speed 1 linked to Enhanced Attack 16 (Penetrating 8 and Multiattack 8 added to Basic Attack), Limited(When using Charge action), Quirk(Multiattack is single target version only)
Cost: 8pp
The Lance is currently my main goto weapon in Monster Hunter World for tough fights. With the right set up it can block literally ANY attack and that's what I went for here and I am certainly not disappointed.

So you have your basic attack as always, but uniquely you have the option to block with your Shield, raising your toughness, as well as having access to Withstand Damage, which allows you to reduce your active defenses by up to 5 to increase your Toughness. Basically with the Great Shield, your defenses can become 0 but your toughness is increased by 10. So already you have a ridiculously high toughness potential here and can STILL attack with guarded thrust as long as you aren't needing to move to get a target.

But on top of THAT the Perfect Guard creates an invisible barrier that will tank hits with that 15 rank create so long as you concentrate. With Great Shield, there is still a small chance you can take damage from a sufficiently powerful attack and a bad toughness save. With Perfect Guard, the shield will take the hit without you being harmed regardless of the actual save, but stationary as it is, you cannot move. The limited shape flaw of the barrier is specific to a personal bubble, leaving you no means to move around inside it or do much of anything but defend.

And lastly, forward charge is your mobility enabler with the extra benefit of a special attack to use on a charge (the actual action Charge, move your speed in a straight line and attack as a standard action). Although the two effects are linked, because enhanced attack is used rather than a separate damage power, you can essentially use the speed power on it's own without making an attack. Enhanced Attack is still being used and enabling the use of the enhanced attack, but you can move without needing to attack, but if you do move with this and attack, it will habe the added benefits of penetrating and Multiattack. It's some hidden mobility, just like the lance has in the hands of a master. And yes, you can use the Speed aspect of the Forward Charge while using Great Shield (in game it is the Guarded Lunge move)

Well, one footnote. It DOES have a shield bash. It's not great, but it is there if you need something that isn't a piercing attack.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

So at this point, I have all the weapons done except the two bowguns, just need to find time to post them. The new job site I will be at starting next Friday will afford me an inordinate amount of time for that Though, so I will probably end up posting the rest throughout that weekend.

But for today we've got the lance and I am going to post up the Gunlance also.
EpicEclipse

Re: Weapon Shop: Monster Hunter World Gunlance

Post by EpicEclipse »

In the world of Monster Hunter, hunters are frequently innovating news ways to combat the massive wyverns and the deadly threats they represent, not to mention deviants and elders oft times being literal forces of nature. One such innovation takes the incredible defense of the lance and sacrifices a little of it to add a short range shelling gun to the lance. This is the 'Murica Lance... I mean, Gunlance.

* Note; each of these Monster Hunter weapons is built with the assumption of the Hunter wielding them is PL10, possessing 4 Strength and a balance 10/10 Tough and Active Defenses.
Gunlance - Paired Device
Total Cost: 29pp (36pp With Removeable(-7pp))

Basic Attack: Strength-based Damage 4 (Total damage 8), Reach

Shelling: Enhanced Attack 8 (Secondary Effect 8 added to Basic Attack) and Enhanced Attack 8 (Penetrating 8 added to Basic Attack), Limited(Secondary Effect only)
Cost: 12pp

Wyrmstake: Enhanced Attack 8 (Multiattack 8 added to Basic Attack), Triggered(Shelling attack), Limited(Secondary Effect Only), Quirk(May only be used when Triggered)
Cost: 3pp (Shared array slot with Shelling)

Great Shield: Protection 5, Feature(Second Chance 3 (Being Tripped, Knocked Down or Knocked Back), Feature(Withstand Damage), Concentration, Distracting
Cost: 1pp (Alternate Effect to Shelling + Wyrmsteak)

Guarded Thrust: Enhanced Attack 8 (Move Action added to Basic Attack), Limited(While using Great Shield)
Cost: 0pp (Shared array slot with Great Shield)

Wyvern Fire: Enhanced Attack 16 (Move Action 8 and Multiattack 8 added to Basic Attack), Limited(While aiming) linked to Weaken Toughness 8, Improved Critical 4, Multiattack, Move Action, Limited(While aiming), Distracting, Instant Recovery, Side Effect 2(Complication - Cooldown)
Cost: 14pp
Okay, so I tease a bit with the 'Murica Lance, but they did literally install a gun on a lance.. I mean come on. Levity aside, this thing pairs the powerful defense of the lance with some very nice added offensive capabilities with shelling.

This weapon functions well in a sort of a two-turn flow which can go two ways;

If you want to use the Wyrmstake, you'll set the trigger on that every odd round then Shelling on the even rounds, but if you want to truly unleash devastation to your foes, you start off with your Wyrmstake, loaded before combat, then Shelling for your opening hit, Guarded Thrust and Great Shield on your even numbered turns and continue Shelling on the odd numbers. Largely, Wyrmstake will be used for an opener, then reset only when you can't get into position to attack.

Secondary Effect will not trigger when you use the effect with Secondary Effect again, but it will if you attack with an effect lacking Secondary Effect. So by alternating, you are dishing out double damage every even numbered round from the Guarded Thrust or a Basic Attack and Shelling's secondary effect. (Turns out using Enhanced Attack this way is very powerful since you can just turn Secondary Effect on and off)

If you have a defenseless target, rip them a new one with Wyvern Fire. You must aim with it and can't move, not to mention the cooldown complication that prevents you from using it again for several minutes, but it is very powerful (and due to how this is built, you can combine Shelling, Wyrmstake and Wyvern Fire all in one intensely huge attack, which is what Wyvern Fire is. So that is intentional.)

Gunlance has the same shield as lance, so you can block with Withstand Damage to get a 0 defense, but 20 toughness. You can still take damage the same as a lance can with a strong attack but a poor toughness roll, but it's still damn impressive. It does lack Perfect Guard though in favor of its greater offense capabilities with Shelling.

Long story short, the Gunlance is capable of a relentless onslaught of modestly strong attacks with a powerful shield for defense when needed.

Worth noting, in the game, the number of shells is finite, but quick reload is a thing that essentially cancels that out. Also the difference in shell types is relatively minor, so wasn't factored in. A Charged Shelling is simply a power attack with Shelling. Nothing fancy there.
EpicEclipse

Re: Weapon Shop: Monster Hunter World Charge Blade

Post by EpicEclipse »

Also known as the Charge Axe, the Charge Blade is a versatile Hunter weapon that switches between defense and mobile sword and shield mode to overwhelming and explosive axe mode and used complex, flowing combos to overwhelm enemies.

Charge Blade - Paired Device
Total Cost: 26pp (32pp With Removeable(-6pp))

Basic Attack: Strength-based Damage 6 (Total damage 10), Quirk(2-handed)

Block: Protection 5, Feature(Second Chance 3 (Being Tripped, Knocked Down or Knocked Back), Concentration, Distracting, Triggered(Imminent Attack)
Cost: 6pp

Impact Phial: Affliction 10 (Resisted and overcome by Fort; Dazed, Stunned), Limited Degree, Activation(Move) - Linked to Basic Attack
Cost: 4pp

Charge Phial: Enhanced Power (Array) 10, Reaction(Successful attack), Fades
* Elemental Discharge: Enhanced Attack 16 (Penetrating 5, Secondary Effect 10 and Reach added to Basic Attack)
Cost: 16pp

Super Amped Elemental Discharge: Enhanced Attack 15 (Area(Cone) 10 and Linked to Affliction 10 (Resisted and Overcome by Fort; Hindered, Disabled, Incapacitated), Area(Cone), Secondary Effect, Conditions Limited to own attacks, Conditions Limited to toughness, Side Effect 2 (Total Fades "Charge Phial") added to Basic Attack)
Cost: 1pp (Alternate Effect from Elemental Discharge)
The charge blade was shockingly simple really, but captures the up and down nature of the weapon's attack patterns.

Most often you'll activate Impact Phial and set up Block's trigger (Guard Point. Standard action due to concentration) as your first round then go to town attacking. Each degree of success charges the Charge Phial to use Elemental Discharge or you can drain Charge Phial to nothing using Super Amped Elemental Discharge for a big area attack with a affliction that makes enemies more susceptible to your future attacks until they shake it. Where order of effects matters, the affliction goes off first.

Elemental Discharge adds secondary effect and some penetration and gives you an opportunity to reset Block's trigger (for a guard point) while not laxing on damage output, or you can swap between elemental discharge and basic attacks (with impact phial and turning off the enhanced attack power to removed the secondary effect from the Basic Attack) for an onslaught of damage similar to the Gunlance which also keeps topping off Charged Phial for more elemental discharge attacks.

And for the guard points, it is a standard action to set the trigger due to concentration, but when triggered puts you into a Block stance that you can remain in or attack out of or back off and reset the trigger. Blocking, as on all weapons with it as an option, lets you withstand greater attacks, but makes you easier to hit.

Basically, you build up charge phial then attack every odd turn, and in the event turns, you attack, defend, set your guard point trigger, Move, or do whatever while the secondary effect of elemental discharge maintains damage. If you get a group, let loose with the Super Amped E.D.