The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Into the Unknown]

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Cinderella, Pinocchio]

Post by Yojimbo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:59 am

Pinocchio
The human-sized marionette known as Pinocchio is an animate, thinking being. Carved from supposedly magical wood by a toymaker known as Geppetto and given life by a fairy of the Italian countryside, Pinocchio became the aging toymaker’s adopted son and caregiver. But whatever the old man’s hopes and dreams for his wooden child, the fairy that animated Pinocchio in the first place had her own plans. She needed Geppetto’s skill to create the thing, but only her power could have brought the wooden man to life. She allows Geppetto to imagine he has a doting, if artificial, son, while sending Pinocchio out to do her strange errands when and where she wishes.

The fairy with the aquamarine hair has long despised humanity. The growth of Christianity made the world hostile for creatures like her. Most of her fellow fairys have faded into nothingness in the centuries since the pope took over Rome. She knows that she too is living on borrowed time. Mortal wizards and mortal iron will catch up to her before too much longer. In the interim, she has her wooden servant, Pinocchio, to carry out her wishes.

A practiced liar, Pinocchio enjoys his dual life. Tricking the old man and his neighbors provides Pinocchio with endless amusement. He’s made the local thieves and footpads into his allies, and enjoys doing the dirty work of the fairy with the aquamarine hair. Human beings are such delicate creatures and they crumple and come apart so easily under his fists. No one suspects the silly wooden man as one of Italy’s most accomplished and ruthless assassins.
PL: 11
Abilities: STR: 20 (+5) DEX: 22 (+6) CON: - (-) INT: 14 (+2) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 14 (+2)
Skills: Bluff 12 (+14)
Climb 4 (+9)
Escape Artist 4 (+6)
Intimidate 8 (+10)
Language 4 [English, French, German, Gnome]
Notice 8 (+10)
Sense Motive 4 (+6)
Sleight of Hand 4 (+10)
Stealth 8 (+14)
Feats: Accurate Attack
Ambidexterity
Cat’s Feet
Challenge [Improved Taunt]
Damaging Escape
Distract [Bluff]
Improved Initiative 2
Power Attack
Taunt
Truth Sense
Powers: “I’m a Real Boy” Morph 3 [Single Appearance (Human), +15 Disguise]
“Magical Wooden Body” Protection 12
“No Strings on Me” Immunity 10 [Mental Effects]
“Wooden Boy” Immunity 30 [Fortitude Effects]
“Wooden Fists” Strike 5 [Mighty]
Combat: Attack +10 [Strike DC 25, Unarmed DC 20], Defense +10, Init +14
Saves: Toughness +12, Fortitude Immune, Reflex +10, Will +6
Drawbacks & Complications: Vulnerable (Uncommon, Minor: Fire)
Description: Pinocchio is a human sized marionette, with a carved wooden body and jointed limbs and painted face. He is sculpted with a working jaw, but his eyes are never-blinking splotches of paint that mimic the visage of an innocent, happy child. His nose is long and thin and projects like a broomhandle from his face, although tales of it growing when he is caught in a lie are merely that: tales. Pinocchio’s guileless look and twisted mind make him very accomplished at falsehoods. He is stronger than a human, despite the thinness of his limbs, and his wooden fists strike with all the crushing power of oaken clubs. He has no biologic weaknesses, and his wooden body is virtually indestructible, despite a slight susceptibility to open flames. The fairy’s subtle magics also make Pinocchio’s mind completely impervious to psychic or mental attack, and she has also given him the ability to occasionally appear as a flesh and blood being. He rarely uses that power around those who know him, preferring to use his human appearance as a disguise when on assignment for the fairy with the aquamarine hair.

Under the Hood
"Pinocchio" is a literary fairy tale. It's not traditional; it didn't exist until Carlo Collodi wrote it down in the 19th century. But like Hans Christian Andersen, Collodi wrote in the style and form of traditional fairy tales, although Collodi wrote kind of a polemic, trying to teach delinquents that being "good boys" was better than goofing off and acting like a jerk. By the time the story wraps up, Pinocchio has learned his lesson, become part of a family, and become a real boy. But again, that's not very gameable. So Fantastic Victoriana's Pinocchio remains a marionette. I made him adult-sized because having a murderous spirit in the shape of a small boy was too Child's Play for me, and also the idea of beating up a little kid, even a wooden little kid, is just distasteful. And I want Pinocchio to get beat up - he's a monster in the purest sense.

The situation in Italy is also quite different from that of England, France, or Germany. But I'll get to that shortly.

MacynSnow

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Cinderella, Pinocchio]

Post by MacynSnow » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:18 am

Cinderella: I feel a bit conflicted on Cindy.While part of me feel's sorry for what she went through with her Family(Overtly cruel and obviously Insane Stepmother,slightly cruel stepsister's, and an Incredibly negligent Father),another part think's she's gone slightly mad after that Ball and need's to be "Brought in out of the cold".....

Pinocchio:In my youth(way,way back in 1987),i was part of a group that played through the Ravenloft Adventure where we got turned into Puppets by an Evil,aquamarine haired Fae...Any PC i make for this Universe,upon finding out 'bout this thing,would either make or Pay someone to invent a Flamethrower.....

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Pied Piper, Rumpelstiltskin]

Post by Yojimbo » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:26 am

Pied Piper
An East German patriot, Haltiger Pfeifer studied music at the knee of a wizened kobold and learned how to master the minds of men with just a few notes. This talent brought him to the attention of Count Orlock, the vampire wizard, who decided that Pfeifer could be useful sowing chaos among the mechanized slaves of the west. Orlock convinced Pfeifer, using his own mental powers only slightly, to slip over the border into West Germany. He was given a list of targets, beginning with the town of Hamlin in Lower Saxony, where an airship factory is located.
PL: 10
Abilities: STR: 14 (+2) DEX: 18 (+4) CON: 14 (+2) INT: 14 (+2) WIS: 16 (+3) CHR: 18 (+4)
Skills: Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Bluff 8 (+12)
Diplomacy 4 (+8)
Handle Animal 4 (+8)
Intimidate 4 (+8)
Notice 4 (+7)
Perform: Wind Instruments 8 (+12)
Ride 4 (+8)
Sleight of Hand 4 (+8)
Stealth 8 (+12)
Feats: Attractive 1
Beautiful Voice 1 [Diplomacy]
Defensive Roll 4
Fascinate [Perform]
Improved Critical 2 [Mind Control]
Improved Initiative 1
Low Profile 1
Quick Draw 1
Taunt
Equipment 3 [Flute, Light Pistol, Rapier, Amulet of Protection 2]
Powers: Mind Control 10 [Effortless, Shapeable Area, Sense-Dependent (Hearing)]
Summon 6 [Progression 6 (100 minions), Horde, Narrow Type (Vermin)]
Combat: Attack +10 [Light Pistol DC 18, Mind Control DC 20, Rapier DC 19, Unarmed DC 17], Defense +12, Init +8
Saves: Toughness +2/+8, Fortitude +6, Reflex +8, Will +8
Description: Haltiger Pfeifer is tall and thin, almost gangly, but incredibly agile. He is a gifted tumbler and acrobat as well as an excellent musician. His chosen instrument is the flute and he keeps one with him at all times. In his guise as a wandering minstrel, Pfeifer wears motley, multi-colored clothes, including a cloak made entirely out of different colored patches of cloth. He carries a rapier and a light pistol, and wears a magical amulet around his throat given to him by Count Orlock which is supposed to protect him from harm. Pfiefer’s kobold magic allows him to take control of the minds and wills of anyone within the sound of his music. He can direct them to do anything he wishes so long as he continues to play. Another kind of song brings any vermin – rats, insects, mice, bats – to his immediate area, which can be used to attack, distract, or provide cover for him.

Under the Hood
"The Pied Piper" is a Medieval folktale, which purportedly truly happened in the village of Hamelin in Germany. At least, the story is immortalized in a stained glass window there. Apparently it does have a basis in reality, something to do with villagers selling their children to people who wanted to colonize Denmark, or something. Very strange.

This guy is kind of a swashbuckling, musical spy type of guy. Up to no good, probably. It occurs to me that I've cast the East Germans (magical folk) as the bad guys, given how many more magical builds I've made vs. West Germans (technological folk), who seem by default the good guys. That's not my intention, although having guys like Count Orlock on their side do make the eastern Germans look pretty bad. In my head, at least, there are no good guys or bad guys in the German civil war/cold war, just two ideologies that have chosen to polarize themselves rather than work together.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Pied Piper, Rumpelstiltskin]

Post by Yojimbo » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:34 am

Rumpelstiltskin
Rumpelstiltskin is a fixer. He knows what you want, what you need, and he knows how to get it to you. You may find that the price is more than you want to spend, but Rumpelstiltskin can get you your heart’s desire.

He maintains offices in Rome, London, and Berlin, but can be found almost anywhere in Europe, either procuring clients or procuring exotic resources for his clients. He likes to stay mysterious, operating under a number of aliases, and only a very trusted few know his true name. To most, he is merely the Gnome, Mr. Gold, Mr. Scratch, Rum Jack, or any number of other guises. He is clever, full of guile, and usually accomplishes his goals through trickery. However, he is not afraid to use force when necessary. Occasionally he hires muscle to assist him, but more often he goes alone. One thing is consistent: his word is his bond. If he swears to something or signs a contract, he will operate to the letter of it, no matter what.
PL: 12
Abilities: STR: 10 (-) DEX: 16 (+3) CON: 14 (+2) INT: 18 (+4) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 12 (+1)
Skills: Bluff 8 (+9)
Concentration 12 (+14)
Craft: Mystical 4 (+8)
Diplomacy 4 (+5)
Disguise 4 (+5)
Handle Animal 4 (+5)
Knowledge: Arcane Lore 8 (+12)
Knowledge: Streetwise 4 (+8)
Notice 8 (+10)
Search 4 (+8)
Sense Motive 8 (+10)
Stealth 8 (+15)
Artificer
Cat’s Feet
Hide in Plain Sight
Improved Initiative 1
Improved Trick
Low Profile 5
Luck 1
Ritualist
Taunt
Powers: “Luck of the Fae” Force Field 10
“Gnome” Shrinking 4 [Normal Strength, Normal Toughness, Innate, Permanent]
“Magical Being” Magic 12 [Charm]
  • AP: Animate Object 8
  • AP: Illusion 8 [Sight & Hearing]
  • AP: Nauseate 12
  • AP: Strike 12
  • AP: Transform 8 [Straw to Gold]
Combat: Attack +12 [Charm DC 22, Nauseate DC 22, Strike DC 27, Unarmed DC 15], Defense +12, Init +7
Saves: Toughness +2/+12, Fortitude +8, Reflex +6, Will +10
Description: Rumpelstiltskin stands about three and a half feet tall, with long golden hair and beard and copper colored eyes. Browned by the sun, he also has flecks of gold in his skin, like glittering freckles dusting his cheeks and arms. Though his eyes are cold and calculating, he has a genial smile and is always quick with a jest. He dresses richly and fashionably, usually having gems at his throat and on his fingers. A creature of magic, Rumpelstiltskin is protected from mortal harm by the luck of the fae, which makes most attacks merely pass him by. Even expert marksmen seem to miss when trying to target him. As well, he possesses a natural talent for magic. He can hypnotize with a word and a twist of his wrist, bring inanimate objects to life to serve him, make even the hardiest of men double over with crippling sickness or experience bone-breaking pain with just a touch. The gnome can make entire rooms of people see and hear only what he wishes them to experience. One of his oldest and most reliable tricks is spinning straw into gold, which assures Rumpelstiltskin an inexhaustible supply of wealth. This last talent proves that Rumpelstiltskin does what he does because he loves his work, however nefarious, as he certainly doesn’t need the money.

Under the Hood
Rumpelstiltskin seems like one the supreme assholes of Western Literature to me. Just what was he going to do with that baby, anyway?

My Rumpelstiltskin is still an asshole, but not the kind who preys on young women and tricks them into strange contracts. He's more of a spymaster type. Still a trickster, but now he's after secrets instead of human babies. I tried to work in the thing about guessing his name, but I did want to avoid the whole "loses his power if you guess his name" thing. He's just secretive and a professional liar.

Yojimbo

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Cinderella, Pinocchio]

Post by Yojimbo » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:39 am

MacynSnow wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:18 am
Cinderella: I feel a bit conflicted on Cindy.While part of me feel's sorry for what she went through with her Family(Overtly cruel and obviously Insane Stepmother,slightly cruel stepsister's, and an Incredibly negligent Father),another part think's she's gone slightly mad after that Ball and need's to be "Brought in out of the cold".....
I think Cinderella received one of my longest backgrounds so far. There's just something about Cinderella, I guess.
Pinocchio:In my youth(way,way back in 1987),i was part of a group that played through the Ravenloft Adventure where we got turned into Puppets by an Evil,aquamarine haired Fae...Any PC i make for this Universe,upon finding out 'bout this thing,would either make or Pay someone to invent a Flamethrower.....
When I was a kid, there was a PBS series on Pinocchio that used a marionette rather than an actor in the role. Creeped me the F out. I've never been a fan of the character, and I was determined to make him a villain in my setting.

As far as technology level goes, I have always treated the equipment lists as equivalent to WWI era stuff, albeit with more steam than electricity as far as power goes. Flamethrowers are definitely available.

MacynSnow

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Pied Piper, Rumpelstiltskin]

Post by MacynSnow » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:06 am

Pied Piper: i like how you stuck to the "Actual Story" for this dude,and not the Disney or Cartoon rehash.He makes a rather nice Spy Build.Little lite on being able to defend himself,in my opinion....

Rumpelstiltskin: i fell in love with this character ever since i saw Ounce Upon A Time.He's sneaky,snarky and just doesn't really care what your opinion of him is.I model 90% of my Villianous Spymaster's off him...

Since BLACK SAILS didn't work out,you want me to send you a Pm with my list of Villian's on it,so you can build them yourself?

Yojimbo

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Pied Piper, Rumpelstiltskin]

Post by Yojimbo » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:37 am

MacynSnow wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:06 am
Since BLACK SAILS didn't work out,you want me to send you a Pm with my list of Villian's on it,so you can build them yourself?
Just back from vacation!

Feel free to PM me with anything you would like. I can't promise anything, but if inspiration strikes, I will see what I can do. I've pretty much finished my Fantastic Victoriana builds (I have more to post, but nothing more to write - one of the advantages to this thread is that it compels me to finish things I've left dangling for years) and have been focusing on Foundation and some modern Golden Age-ers lately, but it doesn't take much for my head to get into the steampunk superhero genre.

Yojimbo

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana ["Assassin!"]

Post by Yojimbo » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:47 am

Assassin!

The Delivery

Doctor Mechanix has come to England to assassinate a Blackwood. His entry into the country is accomplished secretly, via airship. Specifically, the airship of Baron Salazar, Spanish pirate and adventurer.

Salazar’s ship, The Annalucia, left Cologne in Germany with Doctor Mechanix and his four bodyguards a few days ago. It’s a light cargo, but Mechanix is paying handsomely, a good portion of it upfront. He is to be delivered to a secluded site in the midlands of England, definitely in secret and without alerting the authorities.

Now that the ship has arrived in England, at night, approaching a secluded beach far from civilization, the penny drops.

Salazar is on the bridge, piloting or directing the docking of the craft as it approaches the beach, slowly gliding about a hundred feet over the water. Presumably his crew is preparing to shove Dr. Mechanix and his waxen-faced servants out the door, along with all of Mechanix’ luggage and equipment. However, the door to the bridge opens up and Dr. Mechanix steps onto the bridge. He is a slight, well dressed German man with one pale blue eye and another eye hidden by a red lense. His head is shaved, allowing you to see the various nodes and pipes and other things mostly hidden beneath his clothes, creeping up his neck and decorating his flesh.

Behind him are the four hulking servants, clad in dark suits, their pale waxen flash shining in the gaslight. Their eyes, as ever, are hidden by dark lensed spectacles, and their expressionless faces focus on Salazar where he stands on the bridge.

The doctor smiles his cold smile, sending a shiver down Salazar’s back. “My thanks, Herr Salazar, for bringing me across the ocean to this barbaric little island. But I’m afraid that our friendly arrangement must come to an end. You see, I’m going to need the use of your ship a little longer, as well as the loyalty of your crew. My assumption is that you are too strong-willed to accept my control, so I’m afraid I shall no longer have use of you.”

The bodyguards will gang up on Salazar. Surprisingly, the crew will also mutiny, even going so far as to draw weapons and attack their captain.

Hopefully Salazar is subdued. The four automatons will move to grapple and overwhelm Salazar, throwing in a few punches to soften him up. With three of them pinning Salazar, the fourth will draw a pistol from under his suit jacket and point it at Salazar’s head. Doctor Mechanix makes a slight gesture with his left hand. “Save our bullets for Blackwood. Throw Captain Salazar off my new ship.” As the bodyguards wrestle Salazar toward the window, Dr. Mechanix will turn to the crew. “Set course for London,” he says.

The four bodyguards toss Salazar through the window of his own craft. Glass splinters and Salazar is sailing through the air, plummeting towards a dark and cold ocean. The stop at the end is mercifully short.

Naughty London

At about the same time as Baron Eufracio Cisco Salazar is making his dive, Lady Abigail Kildare is attending a party at the naughty Hellfire Club. Abigail heard that a book once owned by her father is in the keeping of the Hellfire Club, presumably just sold away by her mother, not caring about the value of the thing.

The club meets in a nondescript Georgian building in the East End, far from the powerful neighborhoods the club members call home. A black servant guards the front door, and the interior is tastefully appointed and decorated – at least on the first floor. The second floor is where the debauchery takes place. Here the wallpaper is black, decorated with a goat’s head pattern. The lights are dim. A labyrinth of side passages lead off into darkness.

But Abigail and the other women present (almost none of them members, probably) have been led into a ballroom, which dominates the second floor. Tall windows face the street, and the walls are lined with tables covered in food and wine and drugs. Opposite the windows is a raised stage, upon which is an altar with a black sheet, an upside down cross, and thick black candles burning phosphorescent flame. Thick drapes hide the back wall.

The men are dressed in clothes fashionable a century ago, and wear demonic masks and half masks. The women are pretty much all courtesans and prostitutes, some dolled up, some dressed like normal women of the street. The wine and hallucinogens are flowing, everyone is having a good time. Abigail’s date is free with his hands, and as the midnight hour approaches, a man in a powdered wig and goat’s mask calls for a toast.

A servant brings in a cart upon which is set a dozen goblets filled with a dark, aromatic liquid – some kind of spiced wine from the scent. All the women are given goblets by their partners and called to drink, in the name of Satan and all the princes of Hell. Now, the wine is almost certainly drugged, but Abigail came prepared. Sleight of Hand DC 15 to surreptitiously pop an antidote into your mouth; Notice DC 20 as well. Success spots a chestnut haired young woman also sneakily popping a pill into her mouth.

All around you, the women who drank the potion begin to get drowsy and sort of semi-collapse into their partners’ arms. Now would be a good time for Abigail to think of a distraction or incapacitate your partner and slip out the door.

Out on the Street

A certain retired angel finds himself wandering the streets of the East End. He woke that morning – if he even sleeps – with a premonition of something terrible happening in that part of town. But of course the voices, visions, what have you are vague about particulars. Sammariach trusts them to put him in the right place at the right time. As Sammariach passes a nondescript building with a Georgian look to it, he hears a woman’s scream. The black man at the front door seems nonplussed, suggesting that only someone with Sammariach’s exceptional hearing could have noticed the sound.

The building is three stories tall. Sammariach senses that there is a row of large plate glass windows on the second floor.

And upstairs…

While Abigail’s partner is looking at her curiously because she’s not collapsing, before she can slip out the door, a curious thing happens.

A sudden glow envelops the altar at the back of the room. It’s a sort of reddish black light, and it throbs and pulses like a heart beating. And then suddenly between one eyeblink and the next, there is a figure standing behind the altar. Abigail isn’t sure if he slipped out of the curtains or just appeared. At any rate, he’s quite horrific. He stands over six feet tall, with bright red skin, gleaming yellow eyes, and enormous horns erupting from his forehead. Huge black feathered wings erupt from his shoulders, dust his shoulders and forearms. He appears naked except for a black breechclout and golden belt, and he holds a large black iron fork in his hands.

While the club members drop to their knees and offer obeisance, one of the women who has not completely succumbed to the drug, releases an ululating scream. The demon on the stage utters a low chuckle.

Presumably it’s Initiative time. Sammariach can come crashing through the window; Abigail can do whatever, the chestnut haired woman (Sienna) will start casting a spell with a vaguely familiar violet glow about it (Snare or Blast, depending on taste). The Hell Club members are typical cultists, PL 4 at most, but Pazuzu is fairly dangerous. He won’t stick around for more than a round or two, however, particularly if Sammariach gets the upper hand, as he probably will. Pazuzu will teleport away in a burst of red-black flames, leaving his worshippers in the lurch as it were.

The Clean-Up

When the smoke clears, there are some very confused women, some very twisted and drunk men, and three heroes. Sienna introduces herself and thanks Sammariach for his impeccable timing. With the adjustment of a few buttons and swirls of fabric, she transforms out of her courtesan’s outfit and into her adventurer’s dress: functional, fashionable, a bit revealing. She pulls her top hat and goggles out of her bag, and she’s ready to go.

Sienna will leave Sammariach and Abigail to tend to the confused and/or harmed mortals. She goes looking for the library – probably Abigail follows, as she’s looking for the same spot. Sienna finds what she’s looking for fairly quickly – it’s a copy of Von Junzt’s Unaussprechlichen Kulten and she was hired by a Mr. Thursday to recover the book; Abigail needs to make a DC 20 Search check to locate her father’s book.

What happens next depends upon what Sammariach wants to do with the Hellfire Club and assorted folks – its going to be difficult to get the police to do anything about them, as underneath their masks they’re all quite wealthy and influential people. On the other hand, he can’t just kill them all, can he? CAN HE?

The Next Day – In the North

The sun is shining when Salazar awakes. He lies, soaking wet, but with all of his weapons and equipment, on a sandy, rocky beach. A huge man with blue skin and green hair stands nearby. He has a chain wrapped around his right forearm, and it looks like he’s gripping an anchor in his right hand. When he sees that you’re awake, he turns without a word and lopes into the ocean, quickly disappearing beneath the waves.

That was definitely weird, but Salazar has bigger questions.

So how is the Baron getting to London?

By rail, it might take a day or so.

By carriage, it will take a few days.

By horse, it will take two days.

By boat, it will take a little less than a day.

Airships are in short supply in this part of the country, and it will take some hiking to get to the nearest airfield. Several hours if not most of the day, at least. Stealing a ship would be possible, but tricky, as there’s only one Salazar, and he needs a crew to really fly a ship. Plus airships are still rare enough and expensive enough that they’re never fully without guards or a crew of some kind (one of the reasons Mechanix just stole one himself). Also Salazar is Spanish, half-drowned, and too roguish a fellow for a solid Englishman to trust too closely.

Booking passage on an airship heading to London might be possible (25% chance), but most airships are for international travel, and rail or ocean going vessels do most in-country travel.

Regardless, it will take some doing to meet Dr. Mechanix in London.

The Next Day – In Old Londontown

Ambrose Blackwood has a fairly normal morning. Some eggs and toast, a little tea, the newspaper, etc. Since it’s such a nice day, Jane is going to take Catherine to the park for some air before they begin their studies. The young girl still isn’t talking, but in the past few weeks she has become more animated and alert. Jane is really patient with her, and Aguillard fiercely protective of them both.

Go about your business, whatever a man of leisure and occasional detective such as Blackwood does – go through correspondence? Research some spells? Do some science experiments? Whatever, around mid-morning, just as Jane and Catherine are returning from the park, Aguillard announces a caller.

The young gentleman is a solicitor, smart suit, neat haircut, gold chain for his watch, carefully trimmed mustache. He introduces himself as Thomas Robertson, of the firm Holmes, Watson, and Doyle – Blackwood recognizes the family’s lawyers immediately. Robertson is there to remind you personally that the annual stockholder’s meeting is scheduled in three days, and that your presence is required. Your father has made it clear that if you skip another one, he will slash your allowance to the bone. With his responsibilities discharged, Robertson takes his leave – through the door, or through the window.

Just as Robertson departs, however, a more welcome visitor pops in. Ambrose’s cousin, Sienna Blackwood, breezes through the door. It’s been a few years since Ambrose has seen her, but the two have kept in touch through letters and such. Ambrose is aware that she has been working as a spell for hire on the Continent, and was most recently in Germany. She’s aware of the Ambrose’s situation as well, so she’s not surprised by the servants or the ward, although these are pretty big changes for her bachelor cousin. Sienna greets Aguillard warmly in French, is gracious with Jane, and absolutely delighted to meet Catherine.

Then she says she’s dragging Ambrose and Catherine out for lunch to catch up. Letters are nice, but she has so much to talk to you about – in particular how much Ambrose has “grown up.” She has nothing good to say about her brothers, but she stays in touch with Nathan and Joan; Nathan is in India, just earned himself a major’s bars, and Joan is working on some kind of top secret project in Ireland.

Sienna is aware of the shareholder’s meeting, and plans to attend the dreary ceremony, as one day out of the year isn’t much effort when it allows her all her indulgences. Like buying presents for her “niece” – she insists of purchasing a whole new wardrobe for young Lady Catherine. Catherine, while silent, watches Sienna closely and appears to warm toward her.

Day One

Salazar en route to London (presumably). Ambrose gets news, meets with Sienna.

Day Two

Investigation.

Sienna continues to visit with her cousin. Blackwood family members trickle into the city. Ambrose is invited to dinner with his parents at an expensive restaurant.

Salazar has a couple options.

The London Aeroport
If he goes looking for The Annalucia, he will pick up a few leads. The airship did dock at the London port two nights ago (the night he went into the ocean). It offloaded cargo, refueled, and departed.

The informant is a bored looking dockmaster with a green visor and a narrow tie, long drawn face and tiny glasses. He is unimpressed with the Spaniard, and only grudgingly offers the information (DC 15 Diplomacy/Intimidate check). The dockmaster wasn’t on duty that night, but the paperwork takes note of the fact that the ship showed damage, that the crew refused to repair it, and insisted on departing as soon as they were refueled.

Asking around the port (DC 15 Gather Information check), Salazar learns that the cargo offloaded consisted of Dr. Mechanix, his four bodyguards, and all their luggage. They grabbed a cab and headed into the city. No one has any idea where.

Blackwood
The only real clue Salazar has is the name “Blackwood.” If he looks in the London Directory, he finds about thirty different Blackwoods listed. Most of them are aristocrats of one stripe or another. DC 15 Search check reminds Salazar that there is a Blackwood Industries, an arms manufacturing company that does business overseas, with its headquarters somewhere in the midlands of England. They have offices in London. A 20 or better on the Search check allows Salazar to note there is a consulting detective operating out of London named Ambrose Blackwood.

The Blackwood Industries’ offices are located on Grosvenor Square. There are armed guards in black uniforms at the door, and they give Salazar a hard time for being a Spaniard. The building is huge, four stories tall, granite and brick, stately but plain. Lots of large glass windows on the top floor, gargoyles on the roof and gables.

The interior is all dark wood and bright wallpaper, lit by gas lamps. The front area is a show room, with the company’s wares in glass cases spread around, a big wooden counter at the far end, sales people and representatives and more guards. They give Salazar the stinkeye, but if he can fast talk his way through the low-level functionaries, he will eventually be met by Benedict Blackwood.

Benedict’s office is on the third floor, accessed via elevator, and he will give Salazar a chance to explain the situation, offer him a few pounds as a reward, and send him out the door. Even so, Benedict will take the threat seriously – first by sending a few Blackwood security guards to shadow Salazar and report back to him, and secondly by doubling the security at the factory. Not a complete dummy, Benedict will be ready for something to happen during the board meeting – although what, exactly, may surprise him.

If Salazar goes to Ambrose first, then just about anything could happen.

Mechanix
Dr. Mechanix and his cronies are a distinctive looking bunch. Salazar might think he can go looking for them on his own. But London is a large city, and they could be anywhere. The first step would be to check with the cabbies who serve the Aeroport – but there are a lot of them, and it will take hours to work through them all. Still, Salazar could get lucky. A natural 20 or a total of 35 on a Gather Information check will allow Salazar to talk to the cabbie who picked up Mechanix the other night. His name is Dick, and he remembers them clearly because, as he says, they were so queer. For a few coins, he might even remember where he brought them.

He dropped the five of them off at a flophouse in Whitechapel, off Grove St. If asked, Dick declines taking you there. Those men were creepy, and he’d rather not have them bear a grudge against him.

Still, there are plenty of other cabs. One can be hired to take Salazar to Whitechapel. He arrives without incident.

The flophouse is a five story, ramshackle building, with a sign “rooms for rent” in the front window of the first floor. There are men and women loitering on the stoop, smoking pipes, chewing tobacco, and drinking for bottles. None of them are cooperative, instead mocking Salazar’s accent, unless he produces some coin or threatens them. Then it’s all “The bloke you’re looking for is on the fourth floor, guv,” and so on.

Unless Salazar takes extreme precautions (i.e. is really, really stealthy), then Mechanix and his robots will be ready for him. Three of the robots will attack with guns, closing if necessary to use their fists. The five degenerates on the stoop, controlled by Mechanix’ disks, will attack from behind, although they aren’t armed and are only PL 2 bystanders. Mechanix and the other robot will scoop up their equipment and leg it out the back, down the narrow, rickety wooden fire escape. Assuming Salazar (and any allies) overpower the robots and bystanders, they will have to chase Mechanix through the streets and alleys of Whitechapel.

Depending on time of day, they can expect to stumble across: a patrol of British police; a gang of ruffians demanding a “toll”; two gangs fighting one another with broken bottles, bricks, and knives; drunks; prostitute plying her trade; workers re-bricking a wall; porters carrying boxes; urchins trying to earn some coins or pilfer things; etc. The chase should be chaotic, and Mechanix will use the environment to his advantage – calling the police for help, taking children hostage, shooting up a street or collapsing a building on the heroes, and so on.

Day Three

If Mechanix escapes, he will go to ground, with or without his mechanical servants. Using his mind control disks, he can recruit another dozen thugs to help him if necessary. Regardless, his plan is to set himself up on a rooftop in Grosvenor Square and use his gauss gun to eliminate both Albert and William Blackwood. Because of the range of his gun and his own super-senses, he doesn’t have to be directly across from the big windows to see his targets – he may be at an oblique angle. In fact, if the heroes stake out the building directly across the square from the Blackwood offices, Mechanix will definitely be two buildings away to the south, lying flat on the roof and watching the board room through the spyglass on his rifle.

The Board Meeting
While Salazar and any other heroes might be on the streets looking for Mechanix, they’re probably smart enough to know he’s going to take advantage of the annual board meeting to kill whomever it is he’s going to kill.

Neither William nor Albert will accept any reason to postpone the meeting. Ambrose is too much the black sheep to be taken seriously, and in fact William will accuse his son of making the whole thing up to avoid having to sit through the meeting. “You are a spoiled, ungrateful child, and I have half a mind to remove you from my will,” he will say. No one will take Salazar seriously – he’s too Spanish – and even Benedict, who appeared to accept the story before, will pretend not to in order to save face in front of his own father. Aunt Rosemary is sympathetic, but defers to her brothers. The cousins, Albert jr., Randolph, and Joan will also discount anything Ambrose has to say. Nathan is absent due to his military responsibilities, which leaves only Sienna backing up Ambrose.

William orders Ambrose to remain in the room during the meeting, and will shout at him angrily if he leaves, once again threatening to cut him off. Still, Ambrose and Sienna can do some good from the board room. Setting up wards of protection or a force field or something might keep people alive a little longer (although Mechanix won’t hesitate to use mortar rounds if necessary). Still, it might be a good idea to have someone on the ground to react if things go wrong (Ambrose might be able to use a healing spell on anyone shot, for example).

The board room is a long chamber, dominated by a huge table that is surrounded by dozens of chairs. The walls are lined with bookshelves, which are filled with ledgers and documents and so on. Aside from the Blackwood family, other share holders are present, as well as executive officers from the company, solicitors, and so on. Altogether, about thirty people are present, most of them in business suits. The ladies are wearing modest dresses and almost everyone is wearing black.

William and Albert sit at the head of the table near the big windows and control the meeting. Rosemary sits to William’s right, with the rest of the family spread out on either side (and an empty chair for the absent Nathan).

Promptly at 11:00 (he checks his pocketwatch), William stands and calls the meeting to order. He begins his opening remarks, discussing the past successes of the company, vague hopes for the future, a continued wish for violence on the continent and a market for Blackwood wares, and so on. At 11:08, Mechanix targets both William and Albert and shoots them in the back of their heads (Autofire 1, Deadly Aim, Sniper, etc.) unless someone can deflect or stop them (Sammariach has the best chance of doing that – he could use precognition or something to sense Mechanix’ location or plan; Notice check opposed by Mechanix’ Stealth roll).

In the midst of the chaos, as everyone is reacting to the Blackwood patriarchs being murdered, there is a flash of flame and brimstone in the boardroom and Pazuzu appears. He immediately attacks Sienna. Why? Because he’s a jerk, that’s why.

Meanwhile, Mechanix is outside and retreating. He will head for the Aeroport and a rendezvous with The Annalucia and mind-controlled crew, whom he summons with a radio device. They have been hovering over the English Channel the past few days, waiting for his signal. Killing Mechanix will make the recovery of the crew and ship harder than it might be if he’s alive and forced to remove the mind control disks.

Aftermath

It all depends on the heroes’ actions. Do they keep William and Albert alive? Do they catch and/or foil Dr. Mechanix? Do they defeat Pazuzu?

If Mechanix is killed, any knowledge regarding his employer will be lost. Research into his background will indicate he was a German inventor who freelanced as an assassin. Not much more will be found.

If Mechanix survives to face the law, he will remain close-lipped. He is cruel, but not without what he considers honor. However, if promised some kind of leniency (deportation, say, as opposed to a prison sentence) he will claim he was hired by a high ranking board member of Kriegstreiber, Inc., an industrial firm from West Germany that specializes in weaponry, and a direct competitor with Blackwood Industries.

Whether he’s telling the truth is anyone’s guess.

As to the Blackwood family, two patriarchs may be dead. That leaves Benedict in control of the company, with Albert jr. as his right hand man. He will quickly oust Rosemary from the board and start working on buying out his cousins, including Ambrose. While there’s nothing to directly implicate Benedict with Dr. Mechanix, it is somewhat odd that he ends up benefiting from the assassin’s actions…

Dr. Mechanix
The inscrutable Dr. Mechanix is a West German technologist and inventor, who subsidizes his tinkering and construction projects by selling his services as an international assassin. His specialty is robotics, and he has built a number of mechanical servitors to provide a variety of uses. Some serve him as bodyguards and enforcers, while others as assistants in the lab. Presumably, these latter robots performed the operations that transformed Mechanix into a cybernetic being.
Abilities: STR: 10 (-) DEX: 14 (+2) CON: 14 (+2) INT: 30 (+10) WIS: 22 (+6) CHR: 14 (+2)
Skills: Bluff 4 (+6)
Craft: Electronic 4 (+14)
Craft: Mechanical 4 (+14)
Disable Device 8 (+18)
Knowledge: Technology 8 (+18)
Sense Motive 4 (+10)
Stealth 12 (+14)
Deadly Aim
Diehard
Improved Aim
Improved Concealment
Improved Critical 2 [Magnetized Bullets]
Improved Initiative 2
Inventor
Power Attack
Quick Draw 1
Sniper
Equipment 3 [Binoculars, Flash Goggles, Flash Suppressor, Flashlight, Gas Mask, Handcuffs, Rebreather; Large Revolver]
Powers: Device 8: Gauss Gun, Easy to Lose
“Magnetized Bullets” Blast 10 [Autofire 1, Penetrating 5, Improved Range 2 (500 ft)]
  • AP: “Mortar” Blast 10 [Burst Area (50 ft), Improved Range 2 (500 ft)]
Device 11: Mechanix Disks, Hard to Lose
Mind Control 10 [Duration 2 (Continuous), Progression 4 (25 subjects)]

Protection 10 [Impervious]
Super-Senses 11 [Darkvision, Direction Sense, Infravision, See Invisible, X-Ray Vision]
Combat: Attack +10 [Blast +10, Mind Control +10], Defense +10, Init +10
Saves: Toughness +12, Fortitude +8, Reflex +8, Will +12
Description: Slight but forbidding, Dr. Mechanix appears totally hairless, deathly pale, and rather gaunt. One eye is human, but the other is hidden behind a red lense grafted to his skull – and the eye is wholly mechanical underneath. The back of Mechanix’ skull is plated with metal, and coils, cables, pistons, and the like project out of it. For this reason he usually wears a large hood, and a hat over that. Metal plates have been inserted under his skin to protect vital parts of his body, increasing his weight but protecting him from mortal harm. His advanced artificial eyes allow him to see across most of the electro-magnetic spectrum. Mechanix is considering replacing other body parts, in particular his limbs to increase his strength and speed. For now, he relies on his robot servants for protection, and his highly advanced and very deadly gauss gun, a specially designed sniper rifle with a burst option, as well as an underslung barrel which fires explosive projectiles. Mechanix also carries small disks which, when placed at the base of a human beings neck, transforms them into fanatical followers who carry out his every order.

Mechanical Bodyguards
The automatons who serve Dr. Mechanix are not actually intelligent, but so well programmed that they can mimic and react to a wide variety of situations. They are never far from Mechanix, and will follow any orders, so even when they get stuck, he can usually get them working again. But they aren’t perfect, are clearly mechanical in makeup if not appearance.
PL: 9
Abilities: STR: 26 (+8) DEX: 14 (+2) CON: - (-) INT: 10 (-) WIS: 10 (-) CHR: 8 (-1)
Skills: Climb 4 (+12)
Disable Device 8
Notice 8
Stealth 8 (+10)
Feats: All-Out Attack
Improved Grab
Improved Grapple
Improved Initiative 2
Power Attack
Stunning Attack
Takedown Attack 2
Teamwork 3
Equipment 2 [Large Revolver]
Powers: Immunity to Fortitude Saves 30
Protection 10 [Impervious]
Speed 3 [50 mph, 440 ft./rnd]
  • AP: Leaping 3 [Running Jump: 180 ft., Standing Jump: 90 ft., High Jump: 45 ft.]
Super-Senses 3 [Radar]
Super-Strength 3 [Heavy Load 3.7 tons]
Combat: Attack +8 [Unarmed +8, Revolver +4], Defense +8, Init +10
Saves: Toughness +10, Fortitude Immune, Reflex +6, Will +8
Description: Tall, broadly built, and generally humanoid, the Mechanical Bodyguards have waxen faces over the metal frames of their skulls, but otherwise look completely artificial. Mechanix keeps them looking anonymous by dressing them from throat to foot in dark, loose clothes, including tight gloves and strong boots. Their dead eyes are hidden behind black sunglasses. A hat and hood combination, similar to Mechanix’s, completes the look, if not the disguise.

Pazuzu
Pazuzu is a fallen angel, one of Satan’s original host, and he’s spent the millennia since the Fall getting really, really good at being evil. If he stopped to think about it, he might realize how much he really loathes himself, but he generally keeps busy to avoid those kinds of revelations. His current project is the Hellfire Club in London, a gaggle of weak-willed but politically and economically influential mortals whose souls he is corrupting. When Sammariach shows up and puts the kibosh on Pazuzu’s plans, the demon is understandably annoyed.
Abilities: STR: 26 (+8) DEX: 14 (+2) CON: 26 (+8) INT: 18 (+4) WIS: 16 (+3) CHR: 14 (+2)
Skills: Bluff 12 (+14)
Diplomacy 8 (+10)
Intimidate 8 (+10)
Knowledge: Arcane Lore 4 (+8)
Knowledge: Theology & Philosophy 8 (+12)
Notice 4 (+7)
Sense Motive 4 (+7)
Stealth 8 (+10)
Defensive Strike
Distract [Bluff]
Distract [Intimidate]
Fascinate [Bluff]
Improved Block 1
Improved Critical 2 [Strike]
Improved Initiative 2
Improved Trick
Move-by Action
Power Attack
Quick Draw 1
Redirect
Powers: Device 3: Black Iron Fork; Easy to Lose
Strike 3 [Alternate Save (Will), Affects Insubstantial 2 (Full), Extended Reach 1 (5 ft.), Incurable, Mighty, Thrown 3 (150 ft, incr. 30 ft)
  • AP: Teleport 4
Flight 4 [100 mph, 440 ft./rnd]
Hellfire Control 10 [Penetrating]
  • AP: Emotion Control 10 [Burst Area]
Protection 4 [Impervious]

Super-Movement 2 [Dimensional 2 (Group: Infernal)]
Super-Senses 10 [Awareness: Good, Blindsight (Hearing), Darkvision, Infravision, See Invisible)]

Combat: Attack +10 [Strike +11 (Will), Hellfire +10, Emotion Control +10], Defense +10, Init +10
Saves: Toughness +12, Fortitude +12, Reflex +6, Will +10
Description: Red skinned, black feathered, yellow eyed, and goat horned, Pazuzu wields an enormous black iron fork. He looks rather quintessentially demonic. Not a subtle being, he cannot mask himself to appear mortal, and wouldn’t want to anyway. As he sticks out in a crowd (even in the London of Fantastic Victoriana) he tends to keep to the shadows and use mortal servants to do his dirty work for him. While able to transfer himself across space and time from Earth to Hell, he prefers to bandy about on Earth as much as possible. His wings give him the ability to fly, and he can generate bursts of red-black flame that burn through anything. Alternatively, he can fill a room with hatred, fear, or despair. His eyes are frighteningly acute, and he can also sense beings that possess good souls. His weapon is agonizingly sharp, and be thrown to strike targets at range, returning to his hands immediately thereafter. While physically real, the fork doesn’t cut matter, instead attacking the soul.

Sienna Blackwood
Quirky, strange, and certainly an odd one, Sienna would be the black sheep of the Blackwood clan if not for her more well known cousin, Ambrose. Sienna has spent the last few years on the continent, adventuring in France, Germany, and Italy. Still more of a dabbler than a full blown magician, Sienna lacks the focus and will to become a truly great will-worker. Instead, she’s largely become a sort of cat burglar, rogue, and trouble maker. Sienna has come back to London to recover a grimoire in the hands of the Hellfire Club for her patron, the enigmatic Mr. Thursday, who awaits her in Vienna.
PL: 8
Abilities: STR: 10 (-) DEX: 14 (+2) CON: 14 (+2) INT: 18 (+4) WIS: 16 (+3) CHR: 16 (+3)
Skills: Bluff 8 (+11)
Concentration 8 (+11)
Diplomacy 8 (+11)
Disguise 4 (+7/+9)
Gather Information 4 (+7)
Knowledge: Arcane Lore 8 (+12/+14)
Knowledge: Business 4 (+8/+10)
Knowledge: Streetwise 4 (+8/+10)
Knowledge: Tactics 4 (+8/+10)
Medicine 4 (+7)
Notice 4 (+7)
Ride 4 (+6)
Sense Motive 4 (+7)
Stealth 8 (+10)
Survival 4 (+7)
Feats: Artificer
Beginner’s Luck
Connected
Contacts
Improved Initiative 1
Ritualist
Taunt
Equipment 2 [Disguise Kit, Flash Goggles, Gas Mask, Reference Materials; Light Pistol]
Powers: Force Field 6
Sorcery 8 [Obscure, 80 ft]
  • AP: Blast 8
  • AP: ESP 4 [All Sense Types, Range 1 mile]
  • AP: Hypnosis 8
  • AP: Snare 8
Super-Senses 3 [Awareness: Magic, Detect: Magic]
Combat: Attack +8 [Light Pistol +3, Blast +8, Snare +8], Defense +8, Init +6
Saves: Toughness +2/+8, Fortitude +6, Reflex +6, Will +10
Description: Tall, slim, and long limbed, Sienna was an awkward and clumsy teenager but has grown into an athletic and confident adult. She has long chestnut colored hair that falls in curls, which she usually pins up and hides beneath a top hat. She favors the color purple in her dress, makeup, and jewelry, with a particular affection for amethysts. She keeps her equipment, including baroque looking goggles and gas mask, as well as a small revolver for emergencies, in a handbag enchanted to posses more space inside than the outer dimensions would suggest.

Yojimbo

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana ["Assassin!"]

Post by Yojimbo » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:52 am

Some notes on "Assassin!":

Baron Eufracio Cisco Salazar and Abigail Kildare were additional player characters brought in at this point in the campaign. Salazar was inspired by La Guardia Roja who appeared in "The Matter of France," while Abigail was a gadgeteer designed solely as a romantic interest for Blackwood. Salazar would see some further use (he actually got a solo spotlight adventure teaming up with Frankenstein to fight werewolves in Germany prior to this one, but my notes are not complete for that so I won't be posting it), but Abigail faded in to the background fairly quickly.

Sienna Blackwood was an NPC, mentioned in the background materials given to me for Ambrose, and it was fun to bring her in to the game. I had plans to use her again in a sequel to this adventure, but never got to it. Maybe some day.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Count Orlock, Grim]

Post by Yojimbo » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:04 am

Count Orlock
One of the most powerful princes of the East German court, Count Orlock is also a vampire and has been for nearly two hundred years. This is an open secret at court, but because of the services he has rendered the kingdom in that time, he remains a favorite of the king, his excesses overlooked and forgiven. This has led to tension between the king and the church, but Orlock is careful to keep most of his activities hidden. Propagandists in the west point to creatures like Orlock when they declaim the corruption of magic, how it perverts human society, and how it must be stamped out. That, in turn, ensures Orlock’s loyalty to his king for the protection he enjoys as a German count.

Orlock is a spymaster. He runs a stable of spies who have infiltrated the West and report back to him. He also has a few agents, like the Pied Piper, whom Orlock has sent over the border to cause trouble, look for weak points, and to destabilize the West.

In his fortress, Orlock broods and experiments with necromancy and creating new forms of life by transforming willing and unwilling servants into new shapes. He knows that the current “cool war” between East and West Germany can only spark into true conflagration, and he intends that his side shall prove the victor.
Abilities: STR: 30 (+10) DEX: 18 (+4) CON: - (-) INT: 18 (+4) WIS: 16 (+3) CHR: 16 (+3)
Skills: Bluff 4 (+7)
Diplomacy 8 (+11)
Gather Information 4 (+7)
Intimidate 8 (+11)
Knowledge: Arcane Lore 8 (+12)
Notice 4 (+7)
Sense Motive 4 (+7)
Stealth 8 (+12)
Feats: Fascinate [Diplomacy]
Fearless
Improved Pin
Power Attack
Ritualist
Sneak Attack 2
Startle
Powers: Animal Control 8 [Burst Area; Limited: Bats, Rats, & Wolves]
Drain 1 [Constitution]
“Fleshsculpting” Transform 10 [Broad > Broad (Living Things); Transforms 1000 lbs., DC 20]
  • AP: Shapeshift 6 [Distracting]

Immunity 30 [Fortitude Saves]
Protection 10 [Impervious; Limited: Blessed & Silver Weapons]
Regeneration 14 [Recovery Bonus 9, Resurrection 5 (1/20 minutes; not when staked or beheaded)]
Combat: Attack + 10 [Animal Control DC 18, Drain DC 11, Transform DC 20, Unarmed DC 25], Defense +10, Init +4
Saves: Toughness +10, Fortitude Immune, Reflex +7, Will +9
Drawbacks & Complications: Weakness [Common, Minor: Dependence on Blood], Weakness [Common, Moderate: Holy Symbols, dazed for one round by losing opposed CHA check], Weakness [Very Common, Major: Sunlight, per round, destroyed after 10 rounds]
Description: The mark of the vampire is strong upon Count Orlock. He is tall and strongly built, but his skin is milk white, his massive head completely hairless, with thrusting brows, a narrow nose, a sharp chin, and a sensuous mouth that bristles with needle-like teeth. His ears are enormous and bat-like and his eyes glitter like coals under the thick shelf of his brows. He dresses in the rich raiment of nobility, albeit of a style fashionable centuries ago. He usually has at least a knife at his hip, although usually he wears a sword, though he actually disdains normal weapons. As a vampire, he is much stronger than a human and lacks most of the weaknesses of such. He never tires, does not breathe, and is proof against most attacks unless they are made with silver or holy items. Even if he does take enough harm to destroy him, he can come back, so long as his head and heart are intact. He can call upon rats and wolves and bats to do his bidding, and he can take the form of any of those, or become a mist, or make his hands into terrible claws or cause huge wings to erupt from his back. Count Orlock has a special talent, rare among the undead, to reshape the form and function of living beings. Via this “fleshsculpting,” he has turned soldiers in his employ into armored, bear-like creatures with flashing teeth, made horses into horned and winged monstrosities, and more. As a vampire, he is dependent upon a steady diet of human blood, without which he would weaken and fall into a torpor. He can be grievously harmed by holy weapons, or even kept at bay with a holy symbol if the bearer has sufficient faith, but most of all he fears the light of the sun, which can turn him to powder in minutes. During the day Count Orlock can be found hard at work in the lightless dungeons of his castle, but at night he could be found almost anywhere within Germany.

Under the Hood
Having mentioned Orlock in two other builds, I felt like I should probably come up with some stats for the guy. Count Orlock is naturally based off of Count Orlok, the villain of the first filmed version of Dracula, which because of rights issues was titled Nosferatu and changed Dracula to Orlok. The extra "c" is an honest mistake (I thought that's how it was spelled), but because of it the name suggests "warlock." Considering that Count Orlock is both a vampire and a wizard, I think it appropriate.

Orlock has all the classic vampire abilities and a fairly classic vampire look - handsome Ruthven and Dracula were atypical, folklorically speaking - and he's also a spymaster who can whip up a powerful servant in a few rounds thanks to his Transform power.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Count Orlock, Grim]

Post by Yojimbo » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:12 am

Grim
Dead for nearly fourteen hundred years, the Visigothic warrior chief Grim was recently raised from his eternal slumber by Count Orlock. In life a raider, warrior, and leader of men, Grim now serves the vampire prince as chief of arms. Grim runs the troops who man Orlock’s castle and patrol the county.

Twisted and full of hate for the living and his master, Grim is bound to follow Count Orlock’s orders to the letter. He is a cruel creature who drives those beneath him near to death, and answers any insubordination with his axe. He knows that Orlock plans to raise an army of creatures like Grim to serve him, and Grim isn’t sure if he wants to see that happen or not. It would give him comfort to have others who share his curse, but Orlock’s fortunes would also rise if such came to pass. In any case, there is little or nothing Grim can do to halt it from happening.
Abilities: STR: 22 (+6) DEX: 14 (+2) CON: - (-) INT: 10 (-) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 12 (+1)
Skills: Concentration 4 (+6)
Intimidate 8 (+9)
Knowledge: Arcane Lore 4
Notice 8 (+10)
Ride 4 (+6)
Stealth 4 (+6)
Defensive Strike
Improved Initiative 1
Move-by Action
Power Attack
Takedown Attack 2
Powers: Emotion Control 10 [Burst Area, Limited (Fear)]
Flight 2 [25 mph, 220 ft./rnd]
“Ghost Axe” Strike 4 [Mighty, Thrown 2, Affects Insubstantial 2, Affects Corporeal, Improved Critical 1]
Immunity 30 [Fortitude Saves]
Insubstantial 4 [Incorporeal]
Protection 10
Super-Senses 2 [Darkvision]
Combat: Attack +10 [Emotion Control DC 20, Strike DC 25, Unarmed DC 21], Defense +10, Init +6
Saves: Toughness +10, Fortitude Immune, Reflex +6, Will +8
Description: Nearly six and a half feet tall, clad in ancient styled armor and helm, Grim is made up of brown-stained skin stretched taut over bone. His skull is virtually naked, forever grinning with cold fire glittering in his empty sockets. When he speaks, Grim’s mouth doesn’t move, but his hollow voice echoes as if it comes directly from the depths of Hell itself. He moves with slow deliberation for the most part, as if his undead form could shiver apart at the slightest movement, but in truth his body is hard and flexible as steel cords. He can burst into furious action at a moment’s notice, conjuring up a ghostly looking double-headed axe which can carve through the living or the dead with equal ease. Although generally solid, Grim can turn ghostly and pass through walls, or levitate above the earth. His undead eyes can see perfectly even in the deepest tomb, and he can also exude the cold, maddening terror of death upon all who view him.

Under the Hood
Every good villain needs a trusty henchman. The normal monster hierarchy would suggest a wolfman or Frankenstein as the vampire's number two, but I went with a ghost. A viking ghost, at least. Like all good henchmen, Grim wants to eventually betray and overthrow his master. Unfortunately for him, that's not likely to happen because he's basically bound to Orlock's will via magical compulsion. A clever player character (or young prince in the shape of a frog) could find a way to turn that antipathy to their advantage.

MacynSnow

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Count Orlock, Grim]

Post by MacynSnow » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:16 pm

Count Orlock: he's a very nice build.From what i can see of your "Build Hierarchy" ,he ranks in the top 5,making him your world's version of El Diablo.....

Grim: and every Diablo need's a Dragon Man.The fact that he hates his creator is an intresting twist on the Dynamic.Orlock can't be 100% certain he's loyal when not being given specific orders and Grim can't blatantly go after him,so he's forced to use the one muscle he's never used before;his brains....

Yojimbo

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Count Orlock, Grim]

Post by Yojimbo » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:07 am

MacynSnow wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:16 pm
Count Orlock: he's a very nice build.From what i can see of your "Build Hierarchy" ,he ranks in the top 5,making him your world's version of El Diablo.....
I'm not sure what you mean by "build hierarchy."

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Mr. Thursday, Jack Fafnir]

Post by Yojimbo » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:25 am

Mr. Thursday, Holger Torsen
Danish scholar Holger Torsen was a dabbler in the occult and mystic world as a young man. As the excesses of magic users and mystic threats grew in France, Germany, and elsewhere, Holger grew more and more alarmed. In his spare time, he began to look into ways to control and combat the rise in occult dangers.

In his researches, Holger discovered that he is descended from the ancient kings of Denmark, the Yngling line, which supposedly originates from Odin himself. Holger journeyed from his university post in Copenhagen, out to the ancestral home of the Yngling clan. In the rambling, crumbling, ancient mansion, Holger discovered a treasure trove of artifacts. He took a ring and a cane for his personal use and began to ransack the library.

At heart a scholar, not a hero, Holger nonetheless feels he must act according to the knowledge he possesses. In occult circles, he goes by “Mr. Thursday,” a way of keeping his university life and his adventuring life separate.
Abilities: STR: 10 (-) DEX: 14 (+2) CON: 10 (-) INT: 20 (+5) WIS: 20 (+5) CHR: 14 (+2)
Skills: Bluff 4 (+6)
Diplomacy 4 (+6)
Gather Information 8 (+10)
Investigate 4 (+9)
Knowledge: Arcane Lore 12 (+17)
Notice 4 (+9)
Search 4 (+9)
Sense Motive 4 (+9)
Feats: Artificer
Improved Initiative 1
Power Attack
Quick Draw 1
Ritualist
Powers: Device 2: Ring of the Danevirke; Hard to Lose
Protection 10

Device 16: Runestaff; Easy to Lose [Arcane Flame, Indestructible]
“Call the Einherjar” Summon 8 [Fanatical, Horde, Progression 2 (5 minions)]
Immunity 10 [Damage: Electricity, Environmental Conditions (All)]
“Thunderbolt” Blast 10 [Penetrating]
  • AP: “Chains of Wind” Snare 10
  • AP: “Hammer of the Gods” Strike 10 [Autofire 1, Penetrating]
  • AP: “Sky Rune” Weather Control 10 [Mix and Match 2, Selective Attack]
  • AP: “Whirling Winds” Air Control 10 [Damaging]
Combat: Attack +10 [Blast DC 25, Snare DC 20, Strike DC 25, Air Control DC 25], Defense +10, Init +6
Saves: Toughness +0/+10, Fortitude +6, Reflex +6, Will +8
Complications & Drawbacks: Disability [Uncommon, Minor (Club Foot)]
Description: Of medium height and slight build, Thursday appears to be in his early middle age. He has blonde hair, thinning on top, and bright blue eyes that look out from behind gold wire-rim spectacles. A little thick around the middle and afflicted with a club foot, Thursday is more accustomed to researching occult information in the library to running down suspects. He is fond of white suits and hats, and wears a variety of decorative ties and waistcoats in bold, primary colors. On the third finger of his left hand is a gold ring etched with runes and crowned by a sapphire cut to resemble a Medieval tower. The Ring of the Danevirke provides a magical shield around the wearer, protecting them from harm. Thursday also possesses the Runestaff, a three foot length of dark wood capped with a golden handle that resembles a hammer. When Thursday calls upon the Runestaff’s powers, a series of glowing runes appear on the surface of the staff. He can use it to manipulate the wind or weather, creating storms out of nothing, or calling up winds powerful enough to knock over a house or uproot a tree. The staff can also bind a target in semi-solid bars of wind, or unleash a devastating blast of lightning that can burn through any substance known to man. Thursday is not one for close combat, but in a pinch, he can use the Runestaff as a hammer, and it strikes with incredible magical force. The spirits of five deadly Viking warriors are bound to the staff, and Thursday can call upon them to carry out a variety of tasks. Lastly, he uses the Runestaff as a cane, which somewhat disguises its true power and purpose.
The Einherjar
PL: 8
Abilities: STR: - (-) DEX: 10 (-) CON: - (-) INT: 10 (-) WIS: 12 (+1) CHR: 14 (+2)
Skills: Intimidate 8 (+10)
Notice 4 (+5)
Feats: Distract [Intimidate]
Fearsome Presence 8
Improved Initiative 2
Startle
Powers: Immunity 30 [Fortitude Saves]
Insubstantial 4 [Permanent, Innate]
Strike 8 [Affects Corporeal, Penetrating, Affects Insubstantial 2]
Combat: Attack +8 [Strike DC 23], Defense +8, Init +8
Saves: Toughness +0, Fortitude Immune, Reflex +4, Will +7
Description: The Einherjar are ghostly Vikings made up of ectoplasm and strange matter, glowing a ghastly blue, with gleaming orange eyes and mouths that open to show the blackness of Hel. All five of them are hulking men in mail armor and steel helmets that shroud their features. Clad in fur cloaks and tunics, their indistinct features flicker out of focus, and below the waist they are mostly smoke, appearing to float a few inches above the ground. The Einherjar are armed with a variety of weapons, including battle axes, swords, and spears, which, despite their ghostly composition, can affect the physical world. Savage and brutal, the Einherjar attack foes without mercy, dicing them to pieces. Only their weapons can affect the physical realm; to all other things the Einherjar are immaterial, passing through solid walls or attacks with equal ease. They are vulnerable to magical attacks, and a powerful enough blast can disperse them, sending them back to the prison of the Runestaff. But they can eventually be called up again, and always serve the bearer of the staff faithfully and without question.

Under the Hood
I make a lot of Thors. This one is more of a Don Blake with Thor-like abilities than a full-on Thor, but there's still plenty of Thor in his DNA.

Obviously we're out of fairy-tale territory, but I still have a few places to visit around the continent before I wrap up Fantastic Victoriana. Denmark is a brief stop, just two characters, but they do have a role in what was easily my most ambitious FV adventure, which I'll probably be posting soon. Mr. Thursday was an attempt to do a more mystical/wizard version of Thor. Not so tough, a little weather magic, a lot of knowledge, a little summoning. Sort of a Danish Sherlock Holmes who deals with magical threats and puzzles rather than simple mysteries.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Mr. Thursday, Jack Fafnir]

Post by Yojimbo » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:36 am

Jack Fafnir
The man known as Jack Fafnir is a roustabout and thug for hire, who used to split his time between working the Copenhagen docks and breaking legs for the Danish mob, both for paltry wages. He fell in with Mr. Thursday when the scholar dealt with a feral pack of trolls hunting on the waterfront. To Thursday’s surprise, Fafnir turned out to have dragon blood in his veins, which explains his strength, durability, and penchant to vomit flames.

Thursday hired Jack to work as his bodyguard and partner. To secure his loyalty, Thursday gave Jack some treasures from the Yngling family hoard: two flintlocks called the Eldritch Pistols. It takes a dragon blood to make them work properly, and in Fafnir’s hands they are deadly weapons indeed.

At heart, Jack is an adventurer, always ready for a fray, a new experience, or the kiss of a pretty girl.
Abilities: STR: 10/30 (-/+10) DEX: 14 (+2) CON: 10/26 (-/+8) INT: 12 (+1) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 12 (+1)
Skills: Bluff 8 (+9)
Climb 4 (+14)
Intimidate 8 (+9)
Knowledge: Arcane Lore 8 (+9)
Notice 8 (+10)
Sense Motive 4 (+6)
Stealth 8 (+10)
Survival 4 (+6)
Beginner’s Luck
Defensive Strike
Diehard
Endurance 1
Hardy
Improved Initiative 1
Improved Trick
Luck 1
Power Attack
Precise Shot 1
Quick Draw 1
Ultimate Effort: Toughness Save
Powers: Comprehend 2 [Speak To, Understand Animals, Limited (Birds)]

Device 6: Eldritch Pistols; Easy to Lose, Restricted: Dragon Blood
Blast 8 [Accurate, Affects Insubstantial 2, Incurable, Split Attack 1, Autofire 1, Improved Critical 1 (19-20)]

Enhanced CON 16
Enhanced STR 20
  • AP: “Fire Breath” Blast 10 [Cone Area, Range: Touch]
Immunity 5 [Damage: Fire]
Leaping 2 [Running Jump: 100 ft., Standing Jump: 50 ft., High Jump: 25 ft.]
Protection 4 [Impervious]

Combat: Attack +10 [Unarmed DC 25, Blast DC 25], Eldritch Pistols +12 [Blast DC 23], Defense +8, Init +6
Saves: Toughness +12, Fortitude +8, Reflex +6, Will +6
Description: Tall, broad shouldered, powerfully built, with short black hair and cool green eyes. Jack is generally pale, but as his blood is greenish in hue, his skin has an olive cast to it. He likes a green overcoat and usually goes hatless. He rolls his own cigarettes and lights them with his fiery breath. Much stronger than a normal human, and more durable, his flesh is actually proof against small arms and light blades, and he is completely unharmed by flames of any kind. He can leap great distances and lift almost four tons with ease. One of the oddest gifts of his dragon blood is the ability to converse with birds of all kinds, but he also possesses the classic draconic ability to breathe flame. In Jack’s case, he can exhale a cone of red-gold flames to a distance and width of about a hundred feet, but it’s not something he does often as he has little control over it. He is more proficient with the Eldritch Pistols, a matched pair of flintlocks that are plated with gold and etched with a draconic design. They do not carry normal ammunition, but generate bursts of destructive fiery energy with great accuracy and force.

Under the Hood
Every good Sherlock needs a Watson. Fafnir is a big dumb strong guy designed to back Mr. Thursday up, to ask obvious questions, and get stuff explained to him, and then to bust heads what need busting.

He is actually based on an old Star Wars character who was a two blaster gunslinger, same name and everything, although this guy is much, much different. Still does the two pistols, though. Also not going to lie, the whole dragon blood thing is totally taken from Skyrim, although Fafnir's Thu'um is not so varied, just basic fire breath.