The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Into the Unknown]

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Yojimbo

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Red Riding Hood, Snow White]

Post by Yojimbo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:57 pm

Hoid wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:52 am
Hopefully, my character for Macyn’s game fits the aesthetic of this parallel-Earth. (I’m not done writing him up, though.)
I'm deliberately staying out of that in order to not have to make those kind of judgements. :) It's Macyn's game and what you guys do with it is entirely your call.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Belle and La Bete, Briar Rose]

Post by Yojimbo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:24 am

Belle
In a small rural community in central France, a corrupt priest lusted after a beautiful peasant girl. But the girl loved a young huntsman who visited the village regularly. The jealous priest used black magic to curse the young huntsman, transforming him into a savage beast. But the couple’s love surmounted the curse, and she remained loyal to the transformed man. This enraged the priest, who returned again to his forbidden, magic tomes and called upon fell powers to unleash a staggering curse upon the two of them. The lovers would forever be joined and forever be apart, sharing one body, but each one gaining control over it only during different parts of the day. From sunrise to sunset, the girl walked the Earth, while from sunset to sunrise, the beast prowled. For only a few moments each day during their transition would their minds touch.

Through a twist of fate, only days after the second curse took effect, all of France was enveloped in an apocalypse as the Hungry Dead arose and attacked the living. The priest escaped the devastation of the village, and presumably France, but his ultimate fate is as yet unknown. The lovers hunt for him, hoping for a cure, while also assisting those still living who are trapped in the French countryside, desperate to escape to somewhere safe.

Belle is from strong peasant stock, born with a healthy dose of common sense and a strong mental curiosity that has led her to seek out an education for herself. Always a reader, largely self-taught, she now haunts abandoned libraries across France seeking clues that could free her and her lover from their fate. Along the way she has picked up a wide variety of skills, including marksmanship and some medical experience.
PL: 10
Abilities: STR: 10 (-) DEX: 16 (+3) CON: 14 (+2) INT: 18 (+4) WIS: 16 (+3) CHR: 22 (+6)
Skills: Acrobatics 8 (+11)
Bluff 8 (+10)
Diplomacy 4 (+10)
Escape Artist 4 (+7)
Gather Information 4 (+10)
Intimidate 4 (+10)
Knowledge: Arcane Lore 8 (+12)
Knowledge: History 8 (+12)
Knowledge: Streetwise 8 (+12)
Language 4 [English, German, Latin, Russian]
Medicine 4 (+7)
Notice 4 (+7)
Search 4 (+8)
Sense Motive 4 (+7)
Stealth 8 (+11)
Survival 4 (+7)
Feats: Accurate Attack
Attractive 1
Beautiful Voice [Diplomacy]
Connected
Contacts
Defensive Attack
Defensive Roll 2
Diehard
Distract [Bluff]
Fearless
Improved Initiative 2
Improved Trick
Inspire 1
Luck 1
Move-by Action
Power Attack
Quick Draw
Rapid Healing
Taunt
Well-Informed
Equipment 5 [Revolver (Large), Shotgun, Tactical Vest]
Powers: "The Curse" Morph 3 [Single Appearance; Limited (Sunrise/Sunset), Uncontrolled, Metamorph]
Combat: Attack +12 [Large Revolver DC 19, Shotgun DC 18/20/21], Defense +12, Init +11
Saves: Toughness +2/+8, Fortitude +7, Reflex +8, Will +8
Description: A beautiful, shapely young woman with long dark hair and soulful brown eyes, Belle dresses simply and unostentatiously. She wears stained leather armor and always keeps a large handgun and a sawed-off shotgun ready to hand. As the sun sets on the western horizon, she transforms into La Bête, a process that lasts only a few seconds. A cool glow surrounds her and in the blink of an eye someone else stands where she once did, and her body and soul are carried away to a quiet, empty place, where she must remain until the sun returns in the morning.
La Bête
La Bête retains his human intelligence and morality in his animal form, but his personality has been compromised, becoming more savage and prone to violence. He prefers solitude or the company of animals to spending time with people, and ranges across the wasteland of the French countryside. He helps those in need, often from shadows or darkness, and destroys Hungry Dead whenever he can. He lives mostly from moment to moment, heartsick and lonely for his lost love, trusting that she uses the days to locate the priest and find some way to bring them back together.
Abilities: STR: 14/30 (+2/+10) DEX: 12 (+1) CON: 14/34 (+2/+12) INT: 10 (-) WIS: 18 (+4) CHR: 8 (-1)
Skills: Climb 4 (+14)
Handle Animal 8 (+7)
Notice 4 (+8)
Stealth 12 (+13)
Survival 8 (+12)
Swim 4 (+14)
Feats: All-Out Attack
Fearless
Hardy
Improved Critical 1 [Strike]
Improved Initiative 1
Move-By Action
Power Attack
Powers: "The Curse" Morph 3 [Single Appearance; Limited (Sunrise/Sunset), Uncontrolled, Metamorph]
Enhanced CON 20
Enhanced STR 16
Leaping 4 [Running Jump: 500 ft., Standing Jump: 250 ft., High Jump: 125 ft.]
  • AP: Speed 4 [100 mph, 880 ft./rnd]
Regeneration 21 [Ability Damage 3 (1/20 minutes), Bruised 3 (1/round/without rest). Disabled 3 (1/20 minutes), Injured 3 (1/minute), Staggered 3 (1/minute), Unconscious 1/round/without rest), Resurrection 3 (5 hours); Persistent, Regrowth]
Strike 2 [Mighty]
Super-Senses 7 [Accurate (Scent), Acute (Scent), Darkvision, Scent, Tracking 1 (Scent)]
Combat: Attack +8 [Unarmed DC 25, Strike DC 27], Defense +8, Init +5
Saves: Toughness +12, Fortitude +12, Reflex +5, Will +8
Description: La Bête is a hulking, man-like shape covered in a short layer of dark fur. His arms are overly long, his legs bowed, and his shoulders very broad. Muscles ripple beneath the dense layer of fur, and his hands and feet end in vicious, curved claws. A great black mane hangs over his head, and his face is twisted into a bestial shape, with a prognathic jaw that bristles with the teeth of a dedicated carnivore. His eyes are leonine, with a greenish glow, and a rack of twisting, curling antlers erupt from his forehead. He appears clad in nothing more than a pair of ragged, dirt stained pants, but rarely reveals himself to others if he can help it. His incredible jumping ability and extraordinary speed when on all fours means he can outrun or escape most of the dangers he encounters in the French countryside. And even if he does get hurt, he recovers rapidly, repairing mortal injuries in moments. His sense of smell is highly developed, and even though he can see in the dark, he can navigate by smell better than most people can with vision. But as the sun rises each morning, a cool glow surrounds him, and seconds later he is replaced by Belle. La Bête’s body and soul are returned to that limbo where he waits during the day. He is very protective of Belle, and never leaves her in a dangerous situation as the sun comes up if he can help it.

Under the Hood
A tiny bit of Perrault, a smattering of Disney, and a whole lot of Ladyhawke went into this Beauty and her Beast. They come out a lot like my Vulcan/Talos build, a skillmonkey who transforms into a brick, but the uncontrolled aspect and the separated lovers issue gives them a good twist. They just need to find a mouse.

The European continent is pretty messed up. France is a post-apocalyptic wasteland filled with Hungry Dead, every nation sharing a border being forced to deal with that as well. French refugees stream into many countries, even across the Atlantic into Canada. Germany is locked in a strange cold war between magic users and technologists. And since most of the classic fairy tales are either French or German (at least, their most popular versions), the current state of those nations informs these characters a great deal.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Belle and La Bete, Briar Rose]

Post by Yojimbo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:30 am

Briar Rose
The girl Briar Rose was born in a tiny village outside of Dresden in eastern Germany. As a child she was unremarkable, helping her parents with small tasks around the house, going to school, dreaming of one day becoming a school teacher. When she was 11, she accidentally pricked her finger on a spindle. Briar Rose fell asleep, and so did everyone else in the house. When she was 16, she accidentally nicked a finger while chopping carrots for a stew, and the entire neighborhood was knocked unconscious. However, Briar Rose remained awake, albeit incredibly tired, and she started to piece together the connection between her wound and everyone else’s sleeping. Another incident occurred when she was 18, and she put the whole village out like a light. This time she stayed awake, and a few people on the edges of the effect who also stayed conscious, saw her and deduced she was connected. Instead of running her out of town, they brought her to the local prince.

The prince, impressed by the girl’s natural beauty as well as her talent, offered her a job, which she gladly accepted. Briar Rose is now a covert agent in the employ of the East German magocracy. She works over the border, spying on the technologists of the west and reporting back to her superiors in Berlin. On occasion, she has been tasked with assassinating key operators in the west, a task she is uniquely suited for and which she despises.

Briar Rose has worked as an undercover agent for nearly four years now, and performed two distasteful assassinations. A third one may force her defection, as she has no taste for killing, let alone the defenseless murder that her sleeping aura facilitates. She is also becoming increasingly sympathetic to the ordinary men and women with which she interacts on a daily basis, and no longer sees the west as a monolithic anti-magic organization, out to destroy her people’s way of life. For now she remains a patriot, but she teeters on the edge. Knowing that defection will mean never seeing her family again is a large part of her continued loyalty.

Her codename in the intelligence community is Beautiful Dreamer.
Abilities: STR: 10 (-) DEX: 14 (+2) CON: 16 (+3) INT: 16 (+3) WIS: 18 (+4) CHR: 22 (+6)
Skills: Bluff 4 (+10)
Climb 8
Diplomacy 4 (+10)
Gather Information 4 (+10)
Intimidate 4 (+10)
Knowledge: Nobility & Royalty 4 (+7)
Knowledge: Streetwise 4 (+7)
Knowledge: Technology 4 (+7)
Knowledge: Theology & Philosophy 4 (+7)
Language 4 [Elven, English, French, Russian]
Notice 4 (+8)
Ride 4 (+6)
Search 4 (+7)
Sense Motive 4 (+8)
Stealth 8 (+10)
Swim 4
Feats: Attractive 1
Beautiful Voice 1 [Diplomacy]
Connected
Contacts
Distract: Bluff
Hardy
Improved Initiative 1
Light Sleeper
Well-Informed
Equipment 2 [Gas Mask, Handcuffs, Revolver (Large)]
Powers: Force Field 7
Regeneration 2 [Injured 2 (1/5 minutes)]
Sleep 10 [Burst Area (50-2500 ft. radius), Sleep; Range (Touch), Progression: Area 5, Sedation, Tiring]
Combat: Attack +10 [Revolver DC 19, Sleep DC 20], Defense +10, Init +6
Saves: Toughness +3/+10, Fortitude +6, Reflex +6, Will +8
Description: Briar Rose is a beautiful young woman with gorgeous, long red hair, clear blue eyes, and a flawless complexion. She dresses fashionably and attractively, always willing to use her extraordinary attractiveness to best advantage. Although a well trained combatant, she prefers to use her intelligence and instincts to circumvent conflicts. She relies primarily on her training and quick wits in a pinch, as her powers leave her vulnerable to some extent when she uses them. In order to activate her sleeping aura, Briar must draw blood, and as her powers have grown, the amount of blood required has grown as well. She keeps a small knife on her person at all times to inflict wounds, usually a slash across the palm or wrist. This unleashes a wave of soporific magic in a 2500 foot radius all around her. Briar also feels some measure of the effect, and in extreme cases can lose consciousness herself. Luckily, her body recovers from wounds quickly and without scars, and some side effect of her beauty and charisma creates a kind of avoidance field around her, making attackers reluctant to land blows on her.

Under the Hood
Sleeping Beauty was a tricky one. I couldn't resist stealing from Bill Willingham's version in Fables; using her sleeping curse as an offensive weapon. I like the idea of her as a secret agent, and I also like the idea that her Force Field is just her being so beautiful that no one wants to hurt her, so they unconsciously miss, pull their punches, fire warning shots, etc.

I have no idea how to use her in an adventure, though. Perhaps a town falls asleep, some papers go missing, and the heroes have to investigate? Something like that.

MacynSnow

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Belle and La Bete, Briar Rose]

Post by MacynSnow » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:58 am

Allow me to aid you,Yojimbo! I.G.O.R., Story Mode!

*STORY-MODE ACTIVATED*

...thank you,I.G.O.R. Now, What if the players meet Briar during a different adventure,but as an Ally? That same Black Priest that's running from Belle/Beast might have some sensetive documents Briar needs and she temporarily "Parties up" with the PC's(who're after this joker for another reason entirely)...

Jabroniville

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Belle and La Bete, Briar Rose]

Post by Jabroniville » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:56 am

Wow, this Disney stuff is terrific. Poor Belle! Separated from her beloved (a hunter this time? Shades of Gaston, almost!) for all that time.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:44 pm

MacynSnow wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:58 am
Allow me to aid you,Yojimbo! I.G.O.R., Story Mode!

*STORY-MODE ACTIVATED*

...thank you,I.G.O.R. Now, What if the players meet Briar during a different adventure,but as an Ally? That same Black Priest that's running from Belle/Beast might have some sensetive documents Briar needs and she temporarily "Parties up" with the PC's(who're after this joker for another reason entirely)...
I think you got a stew going! :)

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:54 pm

Jabroniville wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:56 am
Wow, this Disney stuff is terrific. Poor Belle! Separated from her beloved (a hunter this time? Shades of Gaston, almost!) for all that time.
Thanks. I can't help a little Disney influence, but I'm really trying to go further back than that, which is why I keep bringing up Perrault and the Grimm brothers. I like to think I'm pulling from the same sources as Disney rather than doing Disney, but I don't think creativity quite works that way. I will say that, while there are a few princes (unavoidable given the particular characters) there aren't any princesses. My general disdain for monarchies and love of enlightenment principles precludes such. I have nothing against Disney, mind, but I do love folktales and mythology.

Yojimbo

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Rapunzel, Hansel and Gretel Grimm]

Post by Yojimbo » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:41 am

Rapunzel
The young woman who now calls herself Rapunzel grew up sequestered in a tower located deep within the Black Forest of Germany. The tower lay within a threshold area, a place where the space between the real world and the world of faery was very, very thin. She was abducted at a very young age from her village by a creature of faery that referred to herself as Gothel. She renamed the child and forced her to work as a virtual slave. Rapunzel spent her childhood cleaning every inch of the tower, preparing food for Gothel and her faery guests and relatives, and performing other tedious, wretched tasks. Never once did Gothel trim the girl’s hair or even bathe or clothe her, so Rapunzel grew up looking like a wild thing, wrapped in her own hair for clothing. The strange magics of the faery realm began to alter the young girl as well, and when she was a teenager she found that she could make her hair move. As she grew in stature and strength, she eventually could use locks of her hair to lift and manipulate objects, which helped her considerably when it came to the sweeping and scrubbing.

When she was sixteen, the Civil War, long in full swing, finally reached the remote part of the forest in which Gothel and her entourage dwelled. East German soldiers besieged the tower, slew the witch and her followers, and freed Gothel’s slaves. Among those freed was Rapunzel, who had been thoroughly transformed by her experience. Unable to integrate back into normal society, with no marketable skills to fall back upon besides becoming a maid, she took the small stipend offered her by the government, cleaned herself up, and defected to the East.

She thought East Germany would give her a better chance at a normal life, but even there she is looked on askance with her always moving hair and weirdly colored eyes and preternatural strength and beauty. To make ends meet, she’s fallen into doing mercenary work. Rapunzel is surprisingly good at it, and she has honed her pliable, powerful head of hair into a respectable and dangerous weapon.
Abilities: STR: 18 (+4) DEX: 16 (+3) CON: 14 (+2) INT: 12 (+1) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 18 (+4)
Skills: Bluff 4 (+8)
Concentration 8 (+10)
Diplomacy 4 (+8)
Gather Information 4 (+8)
Intimidate 4 (+8)
Notice 4 (+6)
Ride 4 (+7)
Sense Motive 4 (+6)
Survival 4 (+6)
Damaging Escape
Defensive Attack
Elusive Target
Improved Disarm 1
Improved Initiative 1
Improved Trick
Power Attack
Powers: Force Field 8
Prehensile Hair 7 [Additional Tendrils 2 (5 tendrils), Elongation 5 (50 ft, range incr 40 ft, +4 Escape & Grapple]
Snare 10 [Chokehold, Shapeable Area (Targeted), Engulf, Obscure Vision, Tether, Reversible]
  • AP: Strike 10 [Extended Reach 8 (40 ft)]
  • AP: Strike 10 [Burst Area (50 ft radius), Selective Attack]
Super-Movement 2 [Sure-Footed 1 (25% penalty reduction), Wall Crawling 1 (half speed)]
Super-Strength 2 [Heavy Load 1.2k lbs; Bracing, Super-Breath]

Combat: Attack +10 [Unarmed DC 19, Snare DC 25, Strike DC 25], Defense +10, Init +7
Saves: Toughness +2/+10, Fortitude +5, Reflex +6, Will +5
Description: It’s impossible to say how Rapunzel would have turned out had she not been abducted. She was so young, she doesn’t even remember her parents or her village, just that she had both at one time. The magic energies of the faery realm twisted her into something both more and less than human. She is tall for a woman, almost six feet, athletically built but with pronounced curves. She is stronger than she looks, stronger than most men, and she is also extraordinarily beautiful, with eyes of eldritch blue and the looks of a princess. Her crowning glory, naturally, is her head of hair. Her hair is blonde, vibrant, full-bodied and thick, and at normal length hangs down to her feet, falling in sinuous waves. The hair is always moving, rising and falling and swirling around, and it takes conscious effort on Rapunzel’s part to still it. She can extend her hair at will, stretching out as far as fifty feet when she wants to, and hardening it until it has the consistency and strength of steel. She can create multiple tendrils at once, and even target multiple objects when necessary. Rapunzel’s hair acts as both weapon and defense, creating a web of hair around her that blocks attacks, and also stretching out to strike or ensnare an opponent. She can use her hair to climb walls or to avoid obstacles in her path, effectively using locks of hair as extra limbs.

Under the Hood
So now I probably sound like some kind of pretentious asshole, which anyone who knows me in the real world would nod and say that sounds about right. Ah, well. To add injury to insult, I'm pretty sure I stole Rapunzel's power set from Jab's Medusa of the Inhuman's build. In my defense, it's an easy place to go for inspiration when you're trying to turn Rapunzel into some kind of superhero. Prehensile hair is pretty much a no-brainer.

Again, not going for a full conversion or retelling of the story, so there's no prince (who is brutally blinded), she doesn't get pregnant and have to wander the wilderness with her babies, and so on. Just an Amazonian-built woman with weaponized hair who does odd-jobs to make ends meet.

Yojimbo

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Rapunzel, Hansel and Gretel Grimm]

Post by Yojimbo » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:53 am

Hansel Grimm
The Grimms are an ancient family, based in Germany, but active throughout most of Europe, who have been combating supernatural threats for nearly a thousand years. With the advent of the Civil War in Germany, the house of Grimm has also split. In the East, the Grimms remain what they have always been: monster hunters for hire, who eliminate those nasty pests who get out of line and make a habit of harming human beings. In the West, the Grimms have been folded into a special part of the nation’s intelligence branch. In the last few decades, they have morphed into an inquisition, tasked with sniffing out and slaying any undesirables, magic-tainted beings, monsters, undead, sorcerers, or witches active within the bounds of West Germany.

Hansel Grimm is one of the chief inquisitors. Smart, gifted, and experienced, he has fought vampires, werewolves, and zombies in defense of humanity, but his specialty is witches. He possesses a natural distrust of men and women who indulge in the magical arts, his hatred flavored with a heavy dose of religious fervor and affected by his near-death as a child at the hands of a cannibalistic witch. A true son of Germany, he is ready and willing to give his own life for the cause. But he will sell that life dearly, and take as many monsters as possible down with him.

Hansel generally works alone, or with his sister Gretel.
PL: 8
Abilities: STR: 16 (+3) DEX: 14 (+2) CON: 18 (+4) INT: 12 (+1) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 14 (+2)
Skills: Bluff 4 (+6)
Climb 4 (+7)
Craft: Mystical 8 (+9)
Diplomacy 4 (+6)
Gather Information 4 (+6)
Handle Animal 4 (+6)
Intimidate 8 (+10)
Knowledge: Arcane Lore 8 (+9)
Knowledge: Parapsychological Sciences 8 (+9)
Notice 4 (+6)
Sense Motive 4 (+6)
Stealth 8 (+10)
Survival 8 (+10)
Benefit: Important Family [The Grimms]
Dedication: Grimm Family
Defensive Attack
Defensive Roll 1
Eagle Eyes
Endurance 1
Fearless
Hardy
Improved Critical 1 [Heavy Pistol]
Improved Initiative 1
Luck 1
Move-by Action
Power Attack
Precise Shot 2
Quick Draw 2
Takedown Attack 2
Track
Equipment 7 [Binoculars, First Aid Kit, Flashlight, Multi-Tool, Night Vision Goggles, Rebreather; 12-Guage Shotgun, Heavy Pistol, Knife, Undercover Vest]
Combat: Attack +8 [Shotgun DC 22/23, Heavy Pistol DC 19, Knife DC 19, Unarmed DC 18], Defense +8, Init +6
Saves: Toughness +4/+8, Fortitude +8, Reflex +6, Will +6
Description: Of medium height and athletic build, Hansel wears a dark uniform edged in gray and red, accented with a cap and black gloves and boots. Hansel has blue eyes, hair so pale it is almost white, and maintains a well-groomed mustache. He keeps a large utility belt with him at all times, stocked with goodies, and carries a broomhandle Mauser automatic pistol as a sidearm, as well as a silver-plated knife, but prefers to use a sawed-off shotgun because of its damage dealing ability. A generalist, Hansel will swap out equipment on an as needed basis, but prefers to be able to think on his feet and react to situations, rather than over-planning.

Gretel Grimm
One of the most well-known of the East German Grimms, Gretel is a brilliant researcher and capable field agent who occasionally assists her brother Hansel with his investigations. Unlike Hansel, Gretel has reservations about the split in the family, and worries that her branch may be going too far in its zealousness to stamp out all things magical and foreign. That doesn’t mean she approves of such creatures living in Germany; she just prefers deportation and exile to execution, when possible. Nor does that keep her from going into battle well-armed and well-prepared. She too has personal experience with the depravity and evil of the magically inclined; the cannibalistic witch that nearly ate her brother would have devoured her as well, if she hadn’t thought fast and saved both her brother and herself.

Gretel is usually found at the Grimm family headquarters, a rambling, castle-like mansion in Bremen, where she can she spends most of her time in the lab or the library. On occasion she accompanies her brother Hansel into the field.
PL: 8
Abilities: STR: 14 (+2) DEX: 18 (+4) CON: 14 (+2) INT: 16 (+3) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 16 (+3)
Skills: Bluff 4 (+7)
Climb 4 (+6)
Diplomacy 8 (+11)
Gather Information 4 (+7)
Knowledge: Arcane Lore 4 (+7)
Knowledge: Parapsychological Sciences 4 (+7)
Knowledge: Tactics 4 (+7)
Language 4 [English, French, Russian, Turkish]
Medicine 8 (+10)
Navigate 4 (+7)
Notice 8 (+10)
Ride 4 (+8)
Search 4 (+7)
Sense Motive 4 (+6)
Stealth 8 (+12)
Survival 4 (+6)
Benefit: Important Family [The Grimms]
Dedication: Grimm Family
Defensive Attack
Defensive Roll 3
Fearless
Improved Critical 1 [Crossbow]
Improved Initiative 1
Luck 1
Power Attack
Precise Shot 1
Quick Draw 2
Takedown Attack 2
Equipment 7 [Night Vision Goggles; Crossbow (Compound), Knife, Light Submachine Gun, Machine Pistol, Undercover Vest]
Combat: Attack +8 [Crossbow DC 18, Knife DC 18, Light Machine Gun DC 18, Machine Pistol DC 18, Unarmed DC 17], Defense +8, Init +8
Saves: Toughness +2/+8, Fortitude +6, Reflex +8, Will +6
Description: A slight, petite, pretty young woman, Gretel is barely over five feet tall. She has long, ash-blonde hair that she usually wears in a tight braid, and wears a pair of silver-rimmed glasses over her pale blue eyes. In the field she dons the Grimm family uniform of black edged with gray and red. Proficient with small arms, she keeps a light submachine gun handy as well as an experimental Kriegstreiber pistol called a Schnellfeuer, which holds a sixteen round clip and is fully automatic. Even so, her favorite weapon is the crossbow, as she admires its power and accuracy, as well as the ability to modify bolts according to the vulnerabilities of her supernatural targets.

Under the Hood
I honestly don't know if I had the idea of monster-hunting Hansel & Gretel before that terrible movie came out. I want to say I did, because I thought the movie looked awful and didn't see it until it showed up on cable where my suspicions were confirmed, but even though Fantastic Victoriana is a pretty old setting (it predates 3E for sure), it's not like I date my edits. Still, its hard to be inspired by something that bad. However, I am positive the idea of naming a family of monster hunters after the Grimm brothers predates that TV show. It's a sure bet that my ideas aren't as original as I like to believe they are, since everyone else keeps coming to the same conclusions. But honestly, what else are you going to do with a grown-up Hansel and Gretel? And what else would you call a bunch of monster/witch/faerie killers who live in a world where fairy tales are real?

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:21 am

Rapunzel:She'd make a rather intresting NPC companion/friendly adversary for a group of adventurers...

The Grimm's:It's sad to see that family split into Zealots and Non-Zealots.What about the two Brother's Grimm?Are they on the other side of Germany or 'Lost to Family History'?....

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [The Frog Prince, Prince Charming]

Post by Yojimbo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:16 am

The Frog Prince
Oskar Rittenbach is a West German nobleman, patriot, and spy, as well as a cousin to the royal family. He was operating in East German territory, gathering intelligence for the war effort, when he drew the attention of a vampire and warlock named Count Orlock. The Count laid a curse on Rittenbach, transforming Oskar into an anthropomorphic frog.

Orlock intended to capture and interrogate him, but Oskar adapted to his new shape surprisingly quickly. He leapt to safety, escaping with incredible speed. Oskar is stuck in his new body, but still willing and able to continue serving West German interests. He is actually a more accomplished spy, able to reach locations impossible for a human. Passing on the information he acquires is much more difficult, but he retains his human intelligence and is training himself to speak again.

Oskar tries to keep track of Orlock, as he hopes to have the curse lifted some day, but for now he can do more good as a frog than he could as a man.
Abilities: STR: 10 (-) DEX: 22 (+6) CON: 18 (+4) INT: 12 (+1) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 12 (+1)
Skills: Acrobatics 4 (+10)
Diplomacy 4 (+5)
Escape Artist 4 (+10)
Knowledge: Arcane Lore 4 (+5)
Knowledge: Nobility & Royalty 4 (+5)
Language 4 [English, French, Latin, Sylvan]
Notice 4 (+10)
Stealth 4 (+18)
Survival 4 (+6)
Feats: Benefit: Status, Nobility
Defensive Roll 4
Evasion 2
Move-by Action
Power Attack
Rapid Healing
Powers: Immunity 1 [Suffocation]
Leaping 4 [Running Jump: 250 ft., Standing Jump: 125 ft., High Jump: 62 ft.]
Shrinking 8 [Normal Abilities, Permanent]
Strike 8
Super-Movement 1 [Wall Crawling (half speed)]
Super-Senses 4 [Low-Light Vision, Radius: Vision, Tremorsense]
Swimming 2 [5 mph, 44 ft./rnd]
Combat: Attack +12 [Strike DC 23], Defense +12, Init +6
Saves: Toughness +4/+8, Fortitude +6, Reflex +9, Will +5
Description: Oskar was once a tall, well proportioned, blond haired and blue eyed man in his mid-twenties, with an eye for fashion and money to burn. Now he’s an anthropomorphic frog, standing about twelve inches tall on his hind legs. His forelimbs are longer than a normal frog’s and end in delicate hands almost as dexterous as a human’s. He resembles a bullfrog, primarily due to his general bulk, with dark green skin fading almost to white on his belly, heavily decorated with black markings. He can breathe underwater and swims rather rapidly. He can climb walls using sticky pads on his toes and fingers, and his large bulbous eyes are more sensitive to light, as well as allowing him all around vision. Unlike a real frog, Oskar has prodigious, superhuman leaping ability, allowing him to leap incredible distances, and his kicks are strong enough to knock down doors or shatter bones.

Under the Hood
Not all fairy-tale characters are gameable. Much as I love the stories of King Thrushbeard, Hans My Hedgehog, or Donkeyskin, they're difficult to turn into interesting M&M characters. But frogs have some easy to define superpowers (or as the Kratt brothers call them, creature powers), so the Frog Prince was a sure bet. Making him a spy and giving him a vampire arch-foe instead of the more typical witch was all a product of the setting as it was already developing. I resisted the urge to name him Kermit.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [The Frog Prince, Prince Charming]

Post by Yojimbo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:23 am

Prince Charming
Henri Valois is the third son of the Duke of Averoigne, and thus technically a prince but unlikely to inherit the title. Henri went into the army instead. He started as a lieutenant, but eventually purchased a captaincy for himself. Always unusually popular and well-liked, he earned the nickname “Charming” from his fellow officers. Henri always had a large circle of friends to support and look out for him, and was well regarded even by superior officers, even though he was working his way through their wives and daughters. No one could stay mad at him for long, particularly when in his presence.

Charming was on the fast track to promotion and an easy life behind a desk deciding the fates of others, when the Hungry Dead crisis altered the fate of all of France. Charming surprised himself by rising to the occasion. Because of his gifts, his troops remained calm and ready for action, not giving into the terror that consumed the rest of the ranks. It was Charming’s men who rescued the royal family from Paris and ushered them to the border. His heroism and quick action would have earned him the right to sit out the rest of the war, but he declined and remained in France.

He is determined to find his family and rescue as many more French citizens as possible. Charming has personally led over a dozen sorties into the French countryside and rescued hundreds, but his family remains elusive. He fears the worst. Still, he goes on, becoming more bitter and desperate as the crisis drags on.
Abilities: STR: 18 (+4) DEX: 16 (+3) CON: 18 (+4) INT: 10 (-) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 16/30 (+3/+10)
Skills: Bluff 4 (+14)
Diplomacy 4 (+14)
Disguise 4 (+14)
Gather Information 4 (+14)
Handle Animal 4 (+14)
Intimidate 4 (+14)
Language 4 [English, French, Russian, Spanish]
Notice 4 (+6)
Ride 4 (+7)
Sense Motive 4 (+7)
Feats: Benefit [Status, Nobility]
Fascinate [Diplomacy]
Fighting Style [Sword-Fighting]
Accurate Attack
Defensive Attack
Improved Block 1
Improved Disarm 1
Improved Initiative 1
Power Attack
Taunt
Equipment 2 [Multi-Tool, Sword, Tactical Vest]
Powers: Enhanced CHA 14
Pheromones 8
Combat: Attack +13 [Unarmed DC 19, Sword DC 22], Defense +12, Init +7
Saves: Toughness +4/+8, Fortitude +7, Reflex +6, Will +5
Description: Tall, broad shouldered, clean-limbed, with piercing blue eyes and short cropped black hair, Henri Valois is a staggeringly handsome man. He has high cheekbones, a perfect smile, and the body of a Greek god. He is generally found clad in the uniform of a captain in the French army, although he disdains firearms and prefers to use a plain looking sword as his primary weapon. He is a gifted swordsman, with a flashy style and a natural grace. A diffident soldier and leader, his success lies in his unnatural likeability, which inspires his men to truly heroic acts to keep him alive and follow out his orders.

Under the Hood
I don't think I've ever seen a character named Prince Charming in any actual fairy-tales. Its usually just "a prince," because names are hard. I think "Prince Charming" actually entered the lexicon thanks to Disney's Snow White, and of course Fables played with the idea by having one character who married all those princesses in quick succession. Still, I couldn't resist using one. Enhanced Charisma and Emotional Control via pheromones seemed like a good combination for a guy called Charming, but I put him into zombie infested France where his powers would be less effective and without a potential mate to woo. Averoigne, by the by, is a fictional French province invented by HP Lovecraft's heterosexual lifemate, Clark Ashton Smith. Its a place of werewolf haunted forests, evil clergy, star vampires, living gargoyles, and colossal undead monsters. In other words, a perfect fit for Fantastic Victoriana.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:26 am

MacynSnow wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:21 am
The Grimm's:It's sad to see that family split into Zealots and Non-Zealots.What about the two Brother's Grimm?Are they on the other side of Germany or 'Lost to Family History'?....
That's a good question. How do Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm fit into a world where fairy tales are a reality? I don't really know. It's kind of like wondering how Star Wars goes over in the Marvel Universe, I suppose.

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:14 pm

Yojimbo wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:26 am
MacynSnow wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:21 am
That's a good question. How do Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm fit into a world where fairy tales are a reality? I don't really know. It's kind of like wondering how Star Wars goes over in the Marvel Universe, I suppose.
Well,you could just say their the two prognetiers(?) of the Grimm family lines.Their "stories" would've been considered actual recorded incadences in both Germany's...

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Cinderella, Pinocchio]

Post by Yojimbo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:51 am

Cinderella
Ella Savatier’s mother died in childbirth. She was raised primarily by her indulgent father, a merchant in the Loire Valley. His business often took him from home, and on one occasion he returned with a new wife and two new daughters. The family was happy together for a little while. Ella delighted in having a mother and sisters at first. But when her father went away again, things turned. Her stepmother proved cruel, always punishing Ella brutally for the merest slight and turning around and doting on her natural daughters. The stepmother forced Ella to take on many duties of a servant, including cleaning out the fireplace regularly, and her stepsisters took to cruelly taunting her with the name “Cinderella,” for being covering in soot all the time.

When her father returned, Ella determined to tell him everything, but suddenly the stepmother and stepsisters acted lovingly again. Confused, the young girl held her tongue. But things changed again when the father left. Ella, a good hearted and kind young girl, was confused by the mixed messages, and by the time she did work up the courage to speak to her father – despite her stepmother’s dire warnings to never do so – her father didn’t believe her. This was a crushing blow, from which Ella never truly recovered, never again able to trust her father as she had when she was a child.

During one of her father’s absences, shortly after her sixteenth birthday, the mayor of Tours announced a grand ball in honor of his own son turning sixteen. All the youths in the Loire Valley were invited to what would certainly be the grandest party any of them would ever attend. Ella yearned to go, but her stepmother forbade it. Her sisters received new dresses, a rented coach, and an attendant to escort them, while Ella was saddled with more chores. Her sisters taunted her with her nickname as they left.

Ella, distraught, fled into the garden and collapsed on her mother’s grave, weeping. Perhaps her mother heard her cries and sent Ella aid or perhaps the young girl simply offered amusement to a capricious Fae, but whatever the reason, a fairy woman appeared before Ella and promised to grant Ella her wish. Waving her wand about, the fairy turned Ella’s plain shift into a ballgown, the manure wagon into a stately carriage, the housecat and dog into coursers, and herself into the semblance of a footman. As the footman, the fairy promised to escort Ella to the ball. Off they went.

History also records the night of the ball in Tours as the same night that the Dark Tower appeared in the heart of Paris, and all over France the dead rose from the earth and began to feast on the living.

So it was that, in the midst of Ella’s dance with the mayor’s son, to the consternation of her stepsisters and furious anger of her stepmother, the party was crashed by a horde of moldering, hungry dead. The next few minutes were a blur of carnage, as Ella saw people torn limb from limb. She and the mayor’s son tried to flee, but he was ripped from her arms. She too would have perished, but the fairy appeared with wand in hand to protect her from certain death. Waving the wand about, the fairy cut a swathe through the horde, and was on the verge of getting Ella to the only exit, when Ella’s stepmother appeared and stabbed the “footman” in the back with a wickedly curved dagger.

The fairy crumpled to the floor and the wand rolled from her hand. Before the stepmother could do more, Ella scooped up the wand and used it instinctively. She turned her stepmother’s dress into fire. The woman died screaming. Ella fled into the night, alternately weeping and laughing hysterically.

That was a year ago. While most of France reels under the weight of the undead apocalypse, Cinderella (as she prefers to be called now), wanders through the wreckage. She still has the fairy wand, but has acquired greater knowledge and experience in its use in the intervening span. A mixture of guilt and compassion compels her to search for her father, for her missing stepsisters, and anyone else she can find or help.
Abilities: STR: 10 (-) DEX: 14 (+2) CON: 16 (+3) INT: 14 (+2) WIS: 18 (+4) CHR: 16 (+3)
Skills: Concentration 8 (+12)
Craft: Cooking 4 (+6)
Diplomacy 4 (+7)
Disable Device 8 (+10)
Gather Information 4 (+7)
Intimidate 8 (+11)
Knowledge: Arcane Lore 12 (+14)
Knowledge: Current Events 4 (+6)
Language 4 [Elven, English, French, Sylvan]
Notice 8 (+12)
Perform: Singing 4 (+7)
Ride 4 (+6)
Search 8 (+10)
Sense Motive 4 (+4)
Stealth 8 (+10)
Feats: Attractive 1
Connected
Defensive Roll 3
Endurance 1
Fascinate [Intimidate]
Improved Initiative 1
Luck 1
Perfect Timing
Taunt
Powers: “Fairy Wand” Device 8 [Easy to Lose, Only She Can Use; Indestructible, Summonable]
Transform 10 [Affects Anything; Duration (Continuous), Action (Full), Check Required (Arcane Lore), Limited (12 hour duration)]
“Luck of the Fairies” Force Field 4
Combat: Attack +10 [Transform DC 20, Unarmed DC 15], Defense +10, Init +6
Saves: Toughness +3/+10, Fortitude +6, Reflex +5, Will +10
Description: Tall and shapely, unmistakably beautiful even when her cheeks and chin are covered in soot, Cinderella is a blonde, blue-eyed woman with an intense stare and a hard-earned wisdom. She usually wears pants and riding boots under a great coat, heavy scarf, and slouch hat, not only to protect herself from the elements but also to disguise her sex in the wilds of France, where being a woman is not always an asset. She uses her quick wits and natural luck to stay alive in the wilderness, but also depends largely upon the fairy wand in her possession. It is a formidable arcane device, capable of transforming any matter into any other kind of matter. The wand’s magic expires within twelve hours, so Cinderella cannot simply turn straw into gold or straw into food to make herself rich or well fed, but she has learned how to judiciously use the wand in a variety of inventive ways for both offense and defense. Her dreams are haunted by the screams of her stepmother, however, so she has not yet used the wand so directly again.

Under the Hood
Then again, the whole zombie apocalypse thing kind of limits what one can do with certain characters. Cinderella can't be a benevolent queen married to Prince Charming when all of France is a wasteland of death and undeath. So what to do? How to make her a superhero? I thought I'd give her the fairy wand that turns shoes into glass slippers. Then I had to come up with a way for her to get the wand while still fitting in as many of the main plot points as I could (I totally flubbed the glass slippers).

"Cinderella" is an old story, and there are also versions of it in a wide variety of cultures. Steampunkifying and superheroifying probably ruined the story, but I went ahead and did it anyway.