The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [On the Trail of the Pumpkin King]

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Yojimbo

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [The Matter of France]

Post by Yojimbo » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:44 pm

MacynSnow wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:11 pm
Ok "The Matter Of France" was an AWESOME adventure.Pure,Steam-Powered & Pulpy Goodness right there.I keep picturing my 'Jack The Hero' Expy Mr.Hero being involved in all this.I'd love to have played in this.Why don't you try a game of it here?
Thanks! It was a lot of fun to run, too. The showdown at Fort Vernon was a real blast. The part in Paris was almost anticlimactic afterward. We had a real Apocalypse Now vibe going at the table, which was exactly what I was looking for.

I really don't have the time to run an online game of any kind, I'm afraid.

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:19 pm

Yojimbo wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:44 pm
MacynSnow wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:11 pm
Ok "The Matter Of France" was an AWESOME adventure.Pure,Steam-Powered & Pulpy Goodness right there.I keep picturing my 'Jack The Hero' Expy Mr.Hero being involved in all this.I'd love to have played in this.Why don't you try a game of it here?
Thanks! It was a lot of fun to run, too. The showdown at Fort Vernon was a real blast. The part in Paris was almost anticlimactic afterward. We had a real Apocalypse Now vibe going at the table, which was exactly what I was looking for.

I really don't have the time to run an online game of any kind, I'm afraid.
Would you mind if i use it for a possible M&M game on here,then?

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:03 am

MacynSnow wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:19 pm
I guess not, sure.

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:06 am

Yojimbo wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:03 am
MacynSnow wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:19 pm
I guess not, sure.
Thanks! I might not need to use it(depending on what responses i get for something i got planned), but it never hurts to ask first.... :D

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Jack Karroway, Pan]

Post by Yojimbo » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:56 am

Jack Karroway, the Red Wizard
The Red Wizards are an ancient order of battle mages, trained in hand to hand combat as well as the esoteric mystical arts. But the time of the Red Wizards is long gone, and only a handful of them still exist in the current age. The only Red Wizard in the British Isles is Jack Karroway, who has seen a great deal of action on the continent, dealing with zombie lords, werewolves, vampire counts, and worse. He is enjoying some much needed time off in old London town, sipping tea and catching up on his reading while hanging out at coffee houses in the Dark Quarter. Like all cynics, he secretly believes in a better world, but he’ll never let on, preferring to hide behind a carefully erected wall of snide comments, insults, and snark. Yet he will gladly sell his life to save an innocent, and is willing to take up any challenge in the defense of justice.
PL: 10
Abilities: STR: 10 (-) DEX: 14 (+2) CON: 10 (-) INT: 16 (+3) WIS: 20 (+5) CHR: 16 (+3)
Skills: Concentration 12 (+17)
Knowledge: Arcane Lore 8 (+11)
Knowledge: Tactics 4 (+7)
Notice 5 (+9)
Search 4 (+7)
Sleight of Hand 4 (+6)
Stealth 8 (+10)
Feats: Accurate Attack
Artificer
Fearless
Improved Initiative 1
Quick Draw 1
Ritualist
Trance
Powers: “Red Jade Sword” Device 4 [Easy to Lose, Use Restricted: Red Wizards]
Strike 12 [Penetrating 5, Affects Insubstantial 2, Incurable]

Force Field 12
Magic 12 [Light of Truth]
  • AP: Blast 12
  • AP: Emotion Control 10
  • AP: ESP 8 [All Sense Types, Range: 2000 miles, Medium (Reflective Surfaces)]
  • AP: Nauseate 8 [Ranged]
  • AP: Snare 12
  • AP: Telekinesis 12
Super-Senses 4 [Magic Awareness (Acute, Extended, Radius)]
Combat: Attack +8 [Strike DC 27, Blast DC 27, Snare DC 27, Emotion Control DC 22, Nauseate DC 18], Defense +10, Init +6
Saves: Toughness +0/+12, Fortitude +5, Reflex +7, Will +10
Description: Of medium height and slight build, Jack has straight platinum blond hair that he grows past his shoulders, fine eyebrows, and piercing blue eyes. His features are delicate, almost elfin, but he has a will of iron. He dresses entirely in red, favoring a wide brimmed hat with a pointed top, a dark red cloak over a red suit, sturdy boots, and gloves. Concealed beneath the flowing cloak, but ready to be drawn at a moment’s notice, is the sword of red jade which identifies Jack as a member of the Red Wizard order. The blade is extremely sharp, capable of cutting through even the immaterial. Jack’s magic is accompanied by a scarlet glow, and his spells are focused on manifesting physical effects within the material world for the most part. He can unleash a beam of crimson flame, turn a healthy person ill, wrap them in scarlet coils of light, conjure a great red hand to lift or manipulate objects, or unleash a warm reddish light that can alternately burn away falsehoods or change the hearts of men. Jack can also use mirrors or other reflective surfaces as mediums with which to scry far off places, a method he uses to study and research potential trouble spots. In battle, he protects himself with a shimmering scarlet shield, emblazoned with an eldritch rune, which orbits his form and wards off attacks.

Under the Hood
Jack Karroway is actually a very old D&D NPC I used to use in junior high. Visually, he is literally the red wizard from the original 8-bit Final Fantasy for the Super Nintendo. As far as his role in Fantastic Victoriana, he was only ever a background character, sort of filling in a space in Dark Quarter crowd scenes. Recognizable because of his fashion sense but other than that, no real impact on the campaign. His existence implies this whole order of like-mages, probably stationed somewhere in Asia. I never fleshed him out further, although at some point if he actually got a speaking role in the series, I might have done so.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Jack Karroway, Pan]

Post by Yojimbo » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:04 am

Pan
The powerful creatures of Faerie, like the Hobs and Sidhe, are all but extinct in the British Isles. Pixies, fairies, elves and lesser beings which are able to exist in the metal-rich world of mortals still persist, but the greatest among them, demigods almost, have all but disappeared. One Hob, trickster creatures, found a way to survive in the mortal world by possessing and binding itself to a living, mortal host. In this case, a young boy from the London slums.

For over two hundred years now this composite creature, wearing the guise of a sixteen year old boy but with the mind and experience of an ageless faerie being, has haunted the rooftops and alleys of London. He is known as Pan on the streets, although Hobs have no proper names, and he is well-regarded as one of the canniest sneak thieves, tricksters, and knife artists in the city. Pan usually keeps a gang of young men around him, whom he grants the ability to fly like himself. Together he and his Lost Boys cause mischief and chaos within the city, stealing whatever they like, and generally causing trouble.

The Lost Boys usually age out of the gang and move on, or so most believe. In actuality, the Hob feeds on the life force of his charges, consuming them in order to maintain his hold on the boy he has possessed. His crew changes over every few months, but there aren’t many who take notice when young men disappear from London’s streets.
Abilities: STR: 14 (+2) DEX: 22 (+6) CON: 22 (+6) INT: 10 (-) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 18 (+4)
Skills: Acrobatics 8 (+14)
Bluff 4 (+8)
Escape Artist 4 (+10)
Intimidate 4 (+8)
Notice 4 (+6)
Sleight of Hand 4 (+10)
Stealth 8 (+14)
Survival 8 (+10)
Swim 4 (+6)
Acrobatic Bluff
Cat’s Feet
Damaging Escape
Defensive Roll 2
Defensive Strike
Elusive Target
Evasion 2
Improved Initiative 2
Improved Trick
Move-By Action
Precise Strike
Powers: “Faerie Knife” Device 2 [Easy to Lose]
Strike 6 [Mighty, Improved Critical, Affects Insubstantial 2]

Flight 4 [100 mph, 880 ft./rnd]
Immunity 10 [Emotion Effects, Interaction Effects]
Immunity 3 [Aging, Disease, Poison]
“Pixie Dust” Empowerment 4 [Perception Area (General), Limited (Flight Only), Distracting]
Shadow Clone 10
Combat: Attack +12 [Strike DC 23 (19-20), Unarmed DC 17], Defense +12, Init +14
Saves: Toughness +6/+8, Fortitude +10, Reflex +12, Will +8
Description: Outwardly, Pan appears like a robust and handsome sixteen year old country lad, with rosy cheeks, upturned nose, and a laughing smile. He has a wicked sense of humor and a gift for tricks and lies, always keeping both his friends and enemies guessing what he might do next. He is usually clad in simple work clothes, but he sometimes steals flashier clothing so he can look and feel like a big man. The Hob within him allows Pan to fly at great speed, rivalling that of the most powerful locomotives. He can split off his own shadow into a separate being that supports and mirrors his own movements, effectively doubling his strength and actions. With a little bit of Hob magic, which Pan calls “pixie dust,” he can empower several individuals with the ability to fly, although only rarely does he give any of his followers anything approaching his own speed and maneuverability. Through devouring those followers, Pan remains effectively ageless, and also unaffected by disease or toxins. His only weapon is a short knife with a black blade that shimmers with a rainbow of colors when in the light; this is a faerie blade, sharp enough to cut even ghosts.

Under the Hood
The continent has a whole slew of similar characters that I will get to as I continue to explicate the world of Fantastic Victoriana, but here's a taste of the fairy-tale characters (literary and folkloric) that populate the world. Pan is of course Peter Pan, although (marginally) more monstrous than the real one. I enjoyed the J.M. Barrie story, play and film, as a child, but the older I have gotten the more I have disliked Peter. That is probably intentional - kids respond to his mischievousness, his fantastic powers, and his ability to treat the adults in his life like inferiors and buffoons - but he's kind of a horrible creature and a complete bully. It would be one thing if Hook ever had a chance against him, but no, Peter Pan just runs rings around anything he encounters. Eternal youth without any accompanying maturity (psychological or emotional) also sounds nightmarish as an adult. So this version of Pan is pretty clearly a monster, a creature of faerie that only pretends to understand or care about human beings.

Jabroniville

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Jack Karroway, Pan]

Post by Jabroniville » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:19 am

haha, nice Pan. I accidentally skimmed past the "Lost Boys" part and went to the "Split Shadow" thing, and was like "Oh hey, like Peter Pan", and then noticed where I missed reading :). Barrie himself said there "was a devil inside Peter", and he was deliberately made rather demonic. And you're right- that's a big part of the character, and you can even see it in some of the Disney stuff. It's probably why the most-used characters from the film are Hook & Tinker Bell, in fact (though Tink herself is actually willing to commit MURDER on an innocent girl! Out of mere jealousy!)- Peter's the protagonist, but he's no saint.

I like the idea of him scurrying about with some ne'er-do-well kids who are quickly replaced- does he wipe out the whole gang at once? Or do some slowly recognize what's going on? Some good story hooks there.

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:49 pm

Jabroniville wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:19 am
haha, nice Pan. I accidentally skimmed past the "Lost Boys" part and went to the "Split Shadow" thing, and was like "Oh hey, like Peter Pan", and then noticed where I missed reading :). Barrie himself said there "was a devil inside Peter", and he was deliberately made rather demonic. And you're right- that's a big part of the character, and you can even see it in some of the Disney stuff. It's probably why the most-used characters from the film are Hook & Tinker Bell, in fact (though Tink herself is actually willing to commit MURDER on an innocent girl! Out of mere jealousy!)- Peter's the protagonist, but he's no saint.

I like the idea of him scurrying about with some ne'er-do-well kids who are quickly replaced- does he wipe out the whole gang at once? Or do some slowly recognize what's going on? Some good story hooks there.
I wholeheartedly agree with you Jab! Even when i was young,i think i recognized Pan wasn't the good guy AT ALL in that production(i blame reading too much Fantasy Novels for my book reports :D ),cause i honestly identified with Capt.Hook more.He&his crew(wording?) were Trapped in Neverland and all they wanted to do (originally) was leave,but Pan not only refused to help them,he CUT OFF A MAN'S HAND! After that fiasco,i couldn't blame Hook wanting to kill the little pest.

As for this Pan,i'm actually wanting to see a Good Guy Version of Captain Hook now.Would he've lost the hand to him this time or not,i wonder?.... ;)

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:17 am

Jabroniville wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:19 am

Thanks! I could probably build a decent adventure around this guy, which is all you really need from any kind of antagonist NPC.
MacynSnow wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:49 pm
I wholeheartedly agree with you Jab! Even when i was young,i think i recognized Pan wasn't the good guy AT ALL in that production(i blame reading too much Fantasy Novels for my book reports :D ),cause i honestly identified with Capt.Hook more.He&his crew(wording?) were Trapped in Neverland and all they wanted to do (originally) was leave,but Pan not only refused to help them,he CUT OFF A MAN'S HAND! After that fiasco,i couldn't blame Hook wanting to kill the little pest.

As for this Pan,i'm actually wanting to see a Good Guy Version of Captain Hook now.Would he've lost the hand to him this time or not,i wonder?.... ;)
One of the things about doing adaptations instead of conversions is that I don't have to worry about that stuff. There's no need to come up with someone to stop Pan; if Pan is going to even appear in the game, it will be as an antagonist for the player characters to deal with.

MacynSnow

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Idris Awbrey, Archibald Knight]

Post by MacynSnow » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:21 am

Eh,if this get's picked for the setting i'll just write-up my own Version of Hook.Maybe even as an Antagonist himself..... :evil:

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Idris Awbrey, Archibald Knight]

Post by Yojimbo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:25 am

The League

The greatest criminal masterminds of the age have banded together in secret to overthrow the British Empire. There are but seven of them, but they wield enough power to accomplish their task. First, they will destabilize the nation through random attacks, then foment chaos in the colonies, and finally assault the royal family before wiping out Parliament. It is an ambitious, mad scheme, and only one of them knows that they are doing this to make way for an invading alien force.

Under the Hood
With the Stranger's Club functioning as "Steampunk Avengers," I thought I would make a team of evil superhumans who mirrored the Justice League to oppose them. The problem I found, however, is that I made them too powerful, too close to their source material. While Fantastic Victoriana certainly got epic on occasion (the Norse gods invade at one point, and they're not what you'd expect), I realized that actually introducing the League would tip things away from this steampunkish urban fantasy thing I was building and straight into four-color superhero stuff. And really, when Evil Superman decides he wants to conquer the world circa 1861, there's not really much to be done to stop him. So the League remains in the drawer, a potential threat to the status quo, but one I will probably never use.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Idris Awbrey, Archibald Knight]

Post by Yojimbo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:36 am

The Pryderian, Idris Awbrey
Idris is a Death Dealer in the service of Arawn the Dark Lord of Pryderia. He has been sent to this parallel Earth to assess its strengths and weaknesses, to destabilize any governments or powers that could resist Pryderia, and prepare the way for a conquering army of superhuman warriors. As the most powerful nation on Earth presently is the British Empire, Idris has centered his efforts in England. While he is basically invulnerable on this world, he is still reluctant to unveil his full power. Still, it is a simple thing to acquire the funds he needs to operate a terrorist cell in the heart of Britain. With the money he has stolen from banks and safes, he has hired a band of powerful mercenaries. They are currently unaware of the full scope of his plan, but the people he has hired probably wouldn’t mind. However, Idris is a soldier, not a spy, and it won’t be long before he begins attacking viable targets.
Abilities: STR: 14/34(+2/+12) DEX: 10 (-) CON: 14/34 (+2/+12) INT: 10 (-) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 14 (+2)
Skills: Bluff 4 (+6)
Diplomacy 4 (+6)
Gather Information 4 (+6)
Intimidate 8 (+10)
Notice 4 (+6)
Sense Motive 4 (+6)
Stealth 8
Survival 4 (+6)
Feats: All-Out Attack
Diehard
Improved Grab
Improved Grapple
Improved Initiative 1
Improved Pin
Power Attack
Ultimate Effort: Toughness Save
Powers: Blast 12
  • AP: Super-Senses 20 [Accurate: Hearing, Darkvision, Extended 2: Vision, Extended 2: Hearing, Infravision, Microscopic Vision 4, Scent, Ultra-Hearing, Ultravision, X-Ray Vision]
  • AP: Super-Speed 6 [Rapid Attack, Improved Initiative 6, Quickness 6 (Physical Only), Speed 6 [500 mph, 4400 ft./rmd]
  • AP: Super-Strength 10 [Heavy Load 1.4k tons, Bracing, Countering Punch, Shockwave, Super-Breath]
Enhanced CON 20
Enhanced STR 20
Flight 5 [250 mph, 2200 ft./rnd]
Immortality [Immunity 3 (Aging, Disease, Poison), Regeneration 1 (Resurrection 1, True)]
Immunity 7 [Environmental Conditions (All), Suffocation (All)]
Impervious Toughness 12
Regeneration 1 [Disabled 1 (1/5 hrs)]
Combat: Attack +8 [Unarmed DC 27, Blast DC 27], Defense +8, Init +4
Saves: Toughness +12, Fortitude +12, Reflex +3, Will +5
Description: Tall, broad shouldered, good looking, Idris has cold violet eyes and straight brown hair which he grows long, and usually ties back into a ponytail. He has been genetically modified to become the perfect killing machine. Besides being superhumanly strong and durable, he can generate pulses of energy from his eyes that are strong enough to pulverize bone or shatter steel plate, or unleash a cloud of super-cold breath capable of ensnaring anyone in its range. He can also fly at a modest speed, but prefers to keep both feet on the ground. He owns a skintight black and silver costume incised with Pryderian runes, but wears standard Victorian dress while “undercover.”

Under the Hood
The Pryderian Empire is basically the Apokalips of my multiverse. They're a predatory interdimensional nation that invades and conquers nearby alternate Earths, building an empire that spans worlds rather than nations and dimensions rather than space. I touched on them briefly in The Covenant when I covered Lone Star. The Pryderians send scouts, called Death Dealers, to observe each world before invading. Then they invade en mass, a wave of Kryptonian level superhumans laying waste to the targeted world, after the scout and any recruited local talent have already weakened whatever powers exist on that world. That's Awbrey's task, and that's why he's recruited the other members of the League.

The Pryderians really belong to the Foundation setting, but a few of them crop up in a number of the other settings. They often don't quite fit the themes of each setting - I never actually used Awbrey in Fantastic Victoriana, for example - but they're there.

Awbrey is basically Superman (a PL 10 version of him, at least) and he's fighting in a weight class that is beyond most of the other inhabitants of FV. He can lift over a thousand tons and he's completely immune to even the most advanced weapons in any government's arsenal. He could chuck a locomotive into Buckingham Palace if he wanted to, and there's not much that could stop him. Again, that's an escalation of concept that I wasn't prepared to actually make happen in the setting, at least not yet.
Last edited by Yojimbo on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:41 am

Dr. Nocturne, Archibald Knight
Brilliant and twisted, Archie Knight grew up in a wealthy family, doted upon by his parents. He murdered them when he was sixteen, inheriting everything, and set about spending his fortune. He bought himself a degree, drugs and prostitutes, gambled a bit, and got into trouble with some bookies. When the thugs demanded their money, Archie killed them with his bare hands. It was the most exciting thing he’d ever done, and he discovered he had a talent for violence and inflicting pain. He developed the identity of Dr. Nocturne, the gas gun and the rocket gun, to continue inflicting pain. He’s worked as a vigilante, but finds that fighting crime is less challenging (or rewarding) than creating crime.

A member in good standing of the Stranger’s Club.
Abilities: STR: 16 (+3) DEX: 18 (+4) CON: 14 (+2) INT: 18 (+4) WIS: 18 (+4) CHR: 18 (+4)
Skills: Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Bluff 4 (+8)
Climb 8 (+11)
Craft: Chemical 4 (+8)
Craft: Mechanical 4 (+8)
Disable Device 4 (+8)
Disguise 4 (+8)
Drive 4 (+8)
Escape Artist 4 (+8)
Gather Information 4 (+8)
Intimidate 8 (+12)
Investigate 4 (+8)
Knowledge: Behavioral Science 4 (+8)
Knowledge: Physical Science 4 (+8)
Knowledge: Streetwise 4 (+8)
Notice 4 (+8)
Ride 4 (+8)
Search 4 (+8)
Sense Motive 4 (+8)
Stealth 8 (+12)
Swim 4 (+7)
Ambidexterity
Benefit 1 [Wealth]
Contacts
Defensive Roll 3
Hide in Plain Sight
Improved Initiative 1
Improvised Tools
Inventor
Jack-of-All-Trades
Precise Shot 1
Quick Draw 1
Equipment 2 [Darkvision Goggles, Gas Mask, Handcuffs, Multi-Tool, Rebreather; Undercover Vest]
Powers: "Gas Gun" Device 2 [Easy to Lose]
Obscure 5 [Visual; Range: 50 ft., Radius: 100 ft.]
"Rocket Pistol" Device 4 [Easy to Lose]
Blast 10
Combat: Attack +10 [Unarmed DC 18, Blast DC 25], Defense +12, Init +8
Saves: Toughness +2/+8, Fortitude +4, Reflex +6, Will +6
Description: Over six feet tall, with blond hair, blue eyes, and classically handsome features, Archie is a good looking man who can command a room simply by stepping into it. He dresses stylishly and expensively. As Dr. Nocturne, he wears all black, including a mask and tophat, and wields his weapons double handed. The Gas Gun releases a cloud of darkness, which he can see through using his specially designed goggles. The Rocket Pistol fires explosive darts at incredible speeds, powerful enough to blow a man up or shatter steel plate.

Under the Hood
Of course Evil Batman uses a gun! What else would he use? Dr. Nocturne ended up being more like a Wesley Dodds Sandman than Batman, but he still fills the niche of "weird avenger of the night," and "wealthy playboy who fights crime." He's also a Stranger, because I think it makes sense that a few members of the League would have been invited into that club.
Last edited by Yojimbo on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yojimbo

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Idris Awbrey, Archibald Knight]

Post by Yojimbo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:42 am

MacynSnow wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:21 am
Eh,if this get's picked for the setting i'll just write-up my own Version of Hook.Maybe even as an Antagonist himself..... :evil:
Cool! I'm curious to see how that plays out. I'm not joining in because I fear I would be too much of a "that's not how it would happen" kind of guy, which would be a total dick move, but I'll watch from afar and see what happens. Good luck!

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:26 pm

Yojimbo wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:42 am
MacynSnow wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:21 am
Cool! I'm curious to see how that plays out. I'm not joining in because I fear I would be too much of a "that's not how it would happen" kind of guy, which would be a total dick move, but I'll watch from afar and see what happens. Good luck!
I don't mind having secondary opinions in my games(in fact,i perfer it!),as it not only keeps me from showing Favoratism(?) to NPCS(which has happened in a couple of Early tabletop groups i was in) it'll also keep me pure to the system&setting.

So pop down to my Intrest thread and pick a setting,the more the merrier!.... :D